Really like the look of this. I found both CoH and LnL have issues that I'm really not keen on..so hoping this is the one that is right for me. Prob the best looking one so far..if you like this sor of look. It's fine by me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkAAqo9c_co (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkAAqo9c_co)
That does look pretty cool. I like the animation and the combat action.
I don't like the caricatures they've made of the US and German leaders, as opposed to the more "normal"-looking British and French leaders. Maybe it's just me.
Still this will be something to look forward to; thanks for the heads-up!
I'm normally a sucker for board games on the PC, but I did not like that presentation at all. The best word I could come up with for it would be "goofy".
Quote from: tgb on May 16, 2014, 09:18:31 AM
I'm normally a sucker for board games on the PC, but I did not like that presentation at all. The best word I could come up with for it would be "goofy".
I'm not forming any early, rash opinions but.....I'm leaning in the direction of agreeing with you tgb.
Um yeah, no. Looks like that "Army Men" PC game that my kids used to play when they were little.
Well it looks fun. Sometimes a break from uber serious is needed I reckon. As long as the mechanics are good I'm more than happy with the Cartoon style graphics. People complain about wargame graphics being bland and boring and here we have something thats colourful and well drawn and in my eyes a breath of fresh air. As long as the mechanics are good I'm happy.
Looks ridiculous. Why not just throw in Captain America and Red Skull while they're at it?
The "Die Hard" allusion in "Feldkommando: Major Hans Gruber" made me chuckle.
WOW..are wargamers uptight? Need to lighten up abit? Can't something be abit of fun aswell as a wargame? As long as the mechanics are good and you get historical outcomes I think there is plenty of room for a game like this. Fun, dynamic, crazy, cartoon\graphic novel nuttiness is fine by me. The game has Oddball I mean whats not to like about that. The animations look crisp. The artwork is very well done, bright and colourful. For me is a a visual treat considering the type of game it is.
Anyway if the mechanics are good I do hope not all are turned off by the look as I'd be more than happy for some colourful wargaming in between the brain draining Combat Missions and stark looking Tigers Unleashed etc etc.
I'm interested. The board game looks like it might end up being fun and yet also prohibitively expensive post-Kickstarter to really get into. So I'm down for an electronic version. 8)
Well, I'd be willing to check out a demo if one becomes available, but can't say the trailer makes me want to open my wallet.
Quote from: TacticalWargames on May 16, 2014, 11:07:34 AM
WOW..are wargamers uptight? Need to lighten up abit? Can't something be abit of fun aswell as a wargame? As long as the mechanics are good and you get historical outcomes I think there is plenty of room for a game like this. Fun, dynamic, crazy, cartoon\graphic novel nuttiness is fine by me. The game has Oddball I mean whats not to like about that. The animations look crisp. The artwork is very well done, bright and colourful. For me is a a visual treat considering the type of game it is.
Anyway if the mechanics are good I do hope not all are turned off by the look as I'd be more than happy for some colourful wargaming in between the brain draining Combat Missions and stark looking Tigers Unleashed etc etc.
Wow...are wargamers inconsistant? And irrational. I sure am == I kind of liked the Arcadey sailing ship game, but the Normandy thing seems like precisely the wrong mix of goofy and arcade. I like an arcade game that takes itself seriously enough to have nice wind and waves and I prefer to leave the injections of goofiness to myself as much as possible.
If you look at some of the info for the board game, Meng, there is a fair amount involved. Guns can jam, cover ratings, everything you'd expect from a tactical game.
Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 16, 2014, 02:19:05 PM
If you look at some of the info for the board game, Meng, there is a fair amount involved. Guns can jam, cover ratings, everything you'd expect from a tactical game.
Sorry == I jumped to arcadey conclusions based on the pointblank ranges the videos showed.
It will be yet another computer game that is bought, played < 6 times and then it will sit there on your harddrive and go unplayed just like the 40-50 other games that were bought on a whim. Or will it?
Looks exactly like what it is - a tablet game. Probably fine if you are looking for that sort of thing. Of everything announced this week from Matrix/Slitherine, this is the least interesting to me. Not uptight, just not interested in this style of game, regardless of the mechanics.
But isn't it mechanics that make a game? Now if the game is too dumbed down I won't be interested either, but if it stands upwell to other serious looking tactical wargames I'm in.
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 16, 2014, 10:33:53 AM
Looks ridiculous. Why not just throw in Captain America and Red Skull while they're at it?
This. Way too cartoony for me. To each his own
Quote from: TacticalWargames on May 17, 2014, 05:30:43 AM
But isn't it mechanics that make a game? Now if the game is too dumbed down I won't be interested either, but if it stands upwell to other serious looking tactical wargames I'm in.
I think there a re a lot of discussions in this very forum about games that have sub-par mechanics (check out the WiTPAE discussion) that nonetheless engage people for years. So it probably isn't all or always the case that the mechanics of the game are the most important thing. I'll almost certainly pick up the new Thirty Years War game Matix announced even though it uses the Battle Academy engine, which I don't care for much at all because of the subject matter and because there really isn't anything else around.
I think game mechanics are paramount if what you're primarily interested in is gaming - and there's 100% nothing wrong with that. Others may be primarily interested in other things. Recreating and learning about an event in military history is probably my biggest motivator, for example, with many of the games I play. Obviously, in the case of something like X-Rebirth that isn't the case and there other factors come into play, like the UI and the gameplay mechanics and how immersive it is in creating the feeling of being in a space opera. There are plenty of other people who want other forms of the much sought after "immersion" and either laud or hate games for very different reason beyond game mechanics. I recently read a post by someone who claimed that they wouldn't buy Combat Mission Red Thunder because the Soviet uniforms were too green and Battlefront didn't make the Soviet icons red, and those two thing "ruined the immersion" for him.
That might seem silly to you or I, but clearly that player is in this for something other than the gameplay mechanic.
Now, on top of that this game looks to be primarily a tablet game ported to PC. Cartoon graphics aside I'm skeptical about the mechanics of a tablet-first game coming anywhere close to the other games on this subject I play. I might very well be wrong about that but it's enough to make me let other people take the risk of trying it first.
From what I saw of it, and what I remember of my conversations with the developer it is intended to be spiritually lighthearted, but there is also some serious depth to the game, that doesn't emerge from the pictures, nor the description. IIRC correctly the developer has spent many years working on the game concept, so all I'd say at this stage is look carefully at any previews coming out before writing the game off as too lightweight for your taste. I must admit, it was an impression I initially had, and although I've seen a short presentation on it. I think it deserves a deeper look to really see how I feel about its pitch. One thing mentioned to me was its moddability, and flexibility, both of which are attractive features.
Quote from: panzerde on May 17, 2014, 09:30:48 AM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on May 17, 2014, 05:30:43 AM
But isn't it mechanics that make a game? Now if the game is too dumbed down I won't be interested either, but if it stands upwell to other serious looking tactical wargames I'm in.
I'll almost certainly pick up the new Thirty Years War game Matix announced even though it uses the Battle Academy engine, which I don't care for much at all because of the subject matter and because there really isn't anything else around.
Pike and Shot is such a cool game. I just loved it. 8) It's not a Thirty Years War game
per se, it's a platform allowing the battles of other wars to be developed on it too. Thirty Years wars is the starting module, but other modules are in the process of being implemented, which you'll find very exciting too. If you are anything like me, you are going to be very happy gamers. :) I don't want to say too much at this stage because Brant, and Gus may want me to present stuff to you guys in a slightly different way.
So really all I'll say for now is that Pike and Shot is really cool, and from what I saw really great stuff. But it is just the icing on the cake, there will be much more to get stuck into. It is one of several upcoming releases that personally I am really, really - did I say
REALLY ? - excited about. 8)
Quote from: panzerde on May 16, 2014, 05:18:57 PM
Looks exactly like what it is - a tablet game. Probably fine if you are looking for that sort of thing. Of everything announced this week from Matrix/Slitherine, this is the least interesting to me. Not uptight, just not interested in this style of game, regardless of the mechanics.
Pretty much. I mean, I enjoy very Grog-y games with tons of fiddlyness, but I also like the occasional light/no-brainer game. This falls more into the latter category. It might be worth some play on my end, if the price is right. And if it's not, I can wait until it is.
Quote from: Boggit on May 17, 2014, 09:50:41 AM
Pike and Shot is such a cool game. I just loved it. 8) It's not a Thirty Years War game per se, it's a platform allowing the battles of other wars to be developed on it too. Thirty Years wars is the starting module, but other modules are in the process of being implemented, which you'll find very exciting too. If you are anything like me, you are going to be very happy gamers. :) I don't want to say too much at this stage because Brant, and Gus may want me to present stuff to you guys in a slightly different way.
So really all I'll say for now is that Pike and Shot is really cool, and from what I saw really great stuff. But it is just the icing on the cake, there will be much more to get stuck into. It is one of several upcoming releases that personally I am really, really - did I say REALLY ? - excited about. 8)
Wow. More stuff from other pre-20th century periods, I hope. Well..... anything but WW2.
My interest has been further piqued.
Well the Germans do look pretty goofy, but, it does look interesting, hope there's a demo!