GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MuzzyDev on June 02, 2014, 12:56:10 PM

Title: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on June 02, 2014, 12:56:10 PM
Just because everyone needs something to smile about on Monday, here are a couple free Steam keys for the game!

5HQRL-3NQN3-QCD99
TRBY6-R8ZL6-BCKHP

Enjoy!  Please post here when you register to save someone some disappointment.

Chris--
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: bbmike on June 02, 2014, 01:05:59 PM
Already pre-ordered but it's cool that you are doing this. :)
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Kushan on June 02, 2014, 01:10:50 PM
And I'm not near my computer to register, really cool your doing this.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: KyzBP on June 02, 2014, 01:12:15 PM
Quote from: MuzzyDev on June 02, 2014, 12:56:10 PM
Just because everyone needs something to smile about on Monday, here are a couple free Steam keys for the game!

5HQRL-3NQN3-QCD99
TRBY6-R8ZL6-BCKHP

Enjoy!  Please post here when you register to save someone some disappointment.

Chris--

Thanks Muzzy.  I took advantage of the top one.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Gusington on June 02, 2014, 01:20:23 PM
Thanks so much, Muzzy. I would chomp at the bit for the second one but being a mod here I must pass it along to whoever comes next. Unless I lock the thread....I kid!
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Shelldrake on June 02, 2014, 01:24:41 PM
I grabbed the second key. Thanks Muzzy! I am interested in seeing how Making History compares with Commander.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Gusington on June 02, 2014, 01:30:10 PM
Well that didn't take long...
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Sir Slash on June 02, 2014, 02:10:59 PM
Damned need for old men to nap in the mid-day!!!  >:(
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: steve58 on June 02, 2014, 02:19:19 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 02, 2014, 01:05:59 PM
Already pre-ordered but it's cool that you are doing this. :)


Ditto for me...
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Boggit on June 03, 2014, 06:03:54 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on June 02, 2014, 02:10:59 PM
Damned need for old men to nap in the mid-day!!!  >:(
Ditto :'(
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on June 09, 2014, 11:15:27 AM
Missed it last time?  Well, guess what?  IT'S BACK!  Another Free-key Monday!

K8KPH-78F2C-PPT9P
5AIVM-3VNB5-XD285

Remember to post when you take one!

Enjoy!

Chris--
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: FlickJax on June 09, 2014, 11:23:59 AM
took second one


Thank you very much indeed
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Blucher on June 09, 2014, 11:24:54 AM
I grabbed the top key Thank you Muzzy! I'm looking forward to giving this a go.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Cougar_DK on June 09, 2014, 12:20:16 PM
Damn to slow again  :D
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 09, 2014, 02:18:19 PM
Quote from: MuzzyDev on June 09, 2014, 11:15:27 AMMissed it last time?  Well, guess what?  IT'S BACK!  Another Free-key Monday!

you guys are awesome :)
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Nefaro on June 09, 2014, 07:45:32 PM
LOL!

Kinda funny watching most everyone miss it.  :2funny:
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Sir Slash on June 09, 2014, 09:22:59 PM
I'll be looking for you... next Monday. :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on June 10, 2014, 11:03:35 AM
 ^-^
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: BanzaiCat on June 10, 2014, 12:49:54 PM
Appreciate the offer of free stuff, even if I am way too slow to get into the action. Hope to catch one next time! :)
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on June 16, 2014, 01:24:08 PM
If yesterday was Sunday, that means...

Free-key Monday!!

392VH-E2V6J-7F7TT
B7LM0-ZE97H-3PQY7

This past Friday we released the biggest update yet, including the US and the British Empire!  All the great powers are now in, a total of 25 playable nations.

At the end of June, we will be raising the price to $29.99 as we approach launch.

Unless you get a free key, of course  :)

Enjoy!

Chris--
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Tpek on June 16, 2014, 01:29:36 PM
Took second key, thanks! :)
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Gusington on June 16, 2014, 01:51:50 PM
Ok I am breaking down...is there any prohibition to me taking that first key? MuzzyDev has been dangling it in front of me for weeks!
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Cougar_DK on June 16, 2014, 02:32:14 PM
Damn to slow again  :D

Its all yours Gusington!
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Sir Slash on June 16, 2014, 03:13:10 PM
You Free-Keyers ought at least to give rest of us the low-down on what you think of it. At least we're not too slow to read about it.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Gusington on June 16, 2014, 06:45:55 PM
OK well I tried to use the first code in the last batch and it has already been activated so...someone is not fessing up...
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: magnus on June 16, 2014, 07:09:39 PM
 I gave up and bought the damn game  :).

I only had a few minutes with it but it looks pretty good. Tons of stuff to muck around with.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Gusington on June 16, 2014, 09:10:30 PM
I'll wind up doing the same. Anyone play as the British Empire?
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Cougar_DK on June 16, 2014, 10:39:17 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 16, 2014, 06:45:55 PM
OK well I tried to use the first code in the last batch and it has already been activated so...someone is not fessing up...

Ok, thats not ok  :(

I got the second key from armchair general though. Looking forward to try it out.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: bbmike on June 17, 2014, 05:17:05 AM
Quote from: magnus on June 16, 2014, 07:09:39 PM
I gave up and bought the damn game  :).

I only had a few minutes with it but it looks pretty good. Tons of stuff to muck around with.

Good! More money for the developer means getting Making History: The Civil War sooner!  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Wolfe1759 on June 17, 2014, 05:13:02 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 17, 2014, 05:17:05 AM
Quote from: magnus on June 16, 2014, 07:09:39 PM
I gave up and bought the damn game  :).

I only had a few minutes with it but it looks pretty good. Tons of stuff to muck around with.

Good! More money for the developer means getting Making History: The Civil War sooner!  :coolsmiley:

They're going to do an ECW game - brilliant we should have more Cavaliers v Roundheads games  :)
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Ian C on June 18, 2014, 04:16:31 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 16, 2014, 09:10:30 PM
Anyone play as the British Empire?

Currently yes. I made a quick video of the various screens and features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex-By1Ixpj4

Best viewed on highest setting (720) for legibility. It moves fast so pause to catch all the new features and read the screens.

Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Gusington on June 19, 2014, 07:16:28 AM
Cool thanks Ian. Now not only do I have to make time to play games but also to research them :)
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on June 23, 2014, 02:25:06 PM
You thought I forgot, didn't you?

7IJ2B-VRHJG-B4Q42
INPCA-NZCT9-7RPM9

I also just wrote and uploaded a unit guide to the Steam page detailing all the specs of each unit so you know what to build and when.  Group composition will really matter in TGW.  Engineers add to defense, are helpful for crossing rivers and can blow shi...stuff up (attack defensive infrastructure).  Mountain Infantry get insane bonuses; at level III it's + 6 in mountains.  Artillery can bombard from adjacent regions but takes a turn to set up and take down.

Anyone playing?  Let us know what you think.

Chris--

Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on June 23, 2014, 02:25:41 PM
Quote from: Ian C on June 18, 2014, 04:16:31 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 16, 2014, 09:10:30 PM
Anyone play as the British Empire?

Currently yes. I made a quick video of the various screens and features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex-By1Ixpj4

Best viewed on highest setting (720) for legibility. It moves fast so pause to catch all the new features and read the screens.

This is really cool, Ian! 
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: weateallthepies on June 23, 2014, 02:38:08 PM
Excellent, random forum browse good luck!  :)

Thanks, I took the second one, I was trying to copy the first so not sure how that happened.

Many thanks for this, I've been looking for a WW1 game to try.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: BanzaiCat on June 23, 2014, 02:40:32 PM
Thanks, MD! I grabbed the first one. I had to install Steam on my work laptop to get it since I doubted either of these would last until I got home at 9 tonight... whew. :)
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Ian C on June 24, 2014, 09:21:13 AM
Quote from: MuzzyDev on June 23, 2014, 02:25:41 PM
This is really cool, Ian!

Thanks Chris!


Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on July 07, 2014, 02:00:30 PM
Hi everyone,

First my apologies for posting last week's keys in the wrong thread!  D'oh!

Here are 2 more for this free-key Monday:

A84W0-ZZ8LG-R6PVQ
H63PM-IZFHF-RY0TH

Enjoy!

BTW, Strategy Informer has been publishing a series of dev diaries I wrote.  The most recent one is on combat in the game:
http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/28645/making-history-the-great-war-developer-diary-focuses-on-combat

Chris--
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Nefaro on July 07, 2014, 02:22:04 PM
At least I checked in closer than the last few times.  :))
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: JasonPratt on July 07, 2014, 03:37:05 PM
I'm not entirely sure the previous keys (from June 30) have been taken yet... will be testing this afternoon, if possible. :)
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: tgb on July 07, 2014, 04:14:49 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 07, 2014, 03:37:05 PM
I'm not entirely sure the previous keys (from June 30) have been taken yet... will be testing this afternoon, if possible. :)

They have - I tried them last week.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: JasonPratt on July 07, 2014, 06:20:53 PM
Just checked, those two are gone as well. Ninja'd by godless Europeans who went home early from work no doubt. ;)
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on July 14, 2014, 03:15:46 PM
Once more, Monday must be vanquished by FREE-KEYS!

NHKDZ-H0DWA-XADTG
W300D-LIN5X-G2GL8
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Space6ghost on July 14, 2014, 03:25:44 PM
Got the second key. Thanks!  :)
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 14, 2014, 03:28:10 PM
first key here. many many thanks!!!   O0
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 14, 2014, 03:48:22 PM
ooooh    lots of neat stuff to muck about with.  I think I'll start be invading Mexico.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on July 16, 2014, 08:57:00 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 14, 2014, 03:48:22 PM
ooooh    lots of neat stuff to muck about with.  I think I'll start be invading Mexico.

There's actually a civil war going on in Mexico at the start of the scenario.

When you go be sure to bring back Pancho Villa! :-)

Chris--
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on July 21, 2014, 12:34:38 PM
OH yeah, another FreeKey Monday!!
A07LB-Y5TEE-7JXXA
IPLTD-8ZNF0-8F9LW

BTW, last Friday we released yet another huge update (really, it's 'uge!).  Lots of work done to the AI.  Some Steam users noted they were now getting their butts kicked (hehe).

Please everyone, let us know what's happening in your game!  And if you are enjoying it, give us a recommendation on Steam!

Thanks!

Chris--
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: TheCommandTent on July 21, 2014, 01:04:08 PM
Got the first one and downloading now.  Thanks for the free key!!!!
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: mkivcs on July 21, 2014, 02:01:47 PM
Much to my surprise I'm lucky on no. 2 Thank you
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: solops on July 21, 2014, 02:28:25 PM
Cool! This is the closest I have ever come -- seeing the keys on the same day they were posted!
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on July 28, 2014, 10:33:37 AM
A very special Monday!  100 years ago today, Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, beginning the path to global war.

MAybe you can do better than they did.  here are a couple more keys so you can try!

J3B37-XFIPK-E68TE
PT5PC-K7NJI-HJN0I
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Rayfer on July 28, 2014, 10:46:05 AM
Holy crap! I got the first one. Awesome for us old, retired, fixed income guys addicted to great strategy wargames.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Barthheart on July 28, 2014, 10:46:59 AM
Gotta say Chris, that you are being very generous with all these key give a ways.
O0
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Skoop on July 28, 2014, 01:02:29 PM
Man I am going to have to camp out refresh monkey every Monday morning to get one of these keys, they go quick.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Barthheart on July 28, 2014, 01:24:49 PM
Just so there's no confusion I did not take one of these keys. Just commenting on Chris being a great guy.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on July 28, 2014, 01:58:27 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 28, 2014, 01:24:49 PM
Just so there's no confusion I did not take one of these keys. Just commenting on Chris being a great guy.

Thanks!  :-)

We love giving back to the wargamer community.  It really helps us to get feedback from people.  Plus, we know people will pay it forward.  maybe by buying a game for a friend to play multiplayer, or giving us recommendations on Steam to raise the profile of the game.

Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Nefaro on July 28, 2014, 02:00:03 PM
I'm quite sure that he only shows up right after I log out of one of my many daily visits here.  ???  :P
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on July 28, 2014, 02:23:32 PM
I'm doing a trivia contest on our Community hub on Steam right now, and the current question is stumping people.

So the question is: How well do you know your WWI history?  :-)  Each right answer gets a game.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 28, 2014, 02:24:28 PM
There's quite a few Grogs around here that have a passion for World War I.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 28, 2014, 04:58:26 PM
And some, like Windy, were alive.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Nefaro on July 28, 2014, 05:24:00 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 28, 2014, 04:58:26 PM
And some, like Windy, were alive.


He probably can't hear you, sonny.  Type louder!
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on July 29, 2014, 07:19:57 AM
It's a day later and no one has gotten the second trivia question!!  Still a chance for a free game for some lucky historically minded wargamer!

Chris--
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on August 04, 2014, 12:20:22 PM
100th anniversary of Germany sucker-punching Belgium and Britain stepping into the fray, creating one of the central "what if's?" of the war: What if the UK had stayed out?

As you ponder that question, have some keys:

WWMNL-PWDAC-G6JDV
8T5FK-MI4IJ-L4N79

Chris--

Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Tosh on August 04, 2014, 12:30:23 PM
Wow, got the first one.  8)

Thanks very much.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: OJsDad on August 04, 2014, 01:14:57 PM
OK Steam novice here.  How do I use the key.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: OJsDad on August 04, 2014, 01:16:55 PM
Nevermind.  I found it, but both keys have already been used. 
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 07, 2014, 10:42:41 PM
this game has been consuming a LOT of time.
some thoughts.

I'd like the merging of units to be a 1 click process.  that alone might shave off 5 minutes of time per turn when things get busy.  coal ships are way to short ranged.  this wouldn't be a problem if there was a collier/replenishment  class of ship your could make.  I'd like a quick way to see what cities have going on.  I know there are sub screens that have overall information but they dont seem to navigate easily.  I'd also like a list somewhere of what kind and how many units Ive lost and killed.  it might already be there but I aint seen it.  and demolishing existing infrastructure for rebuilding should take far less time. 
having said that as a start, Ive also had 1 more turn syndrome because theres so much stuff to do.  Im about to do this and about to do that and this research is about to finish and these fuckers are getting invaded and holy shit Europe is a clusterfuck and you bitches can suck on these 40 battle cruisers you age of sail suckers!

but I digress.

fun game.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on August 08, 2014, 08:19:46 AM
Thanks, Starfury, great feedback!  I've passed it on to the design team.

Glad you're having fun :-) 

I've been busy writing the manual and there is indeed a ton of stuff, which you really find when you have to explain it all in detail.  ;D
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on August 08, 2014, 11:00:49 AM
BTW, a reminder, if you are enjoying the game, PLEASE give us a recommendation on Steam.  Each one helps boost the game's visibility.

Thanks!

Chris--
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: OJsDad on August 08, 2014, 04:15:46 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 07, 2014, 10:42:41 PM
this game has been consuming a LOT of time.
some thoughts.


having said that as a start, Ive also had 1 more turn syndrome because theres so much stuff to do.  Im about to do this and about to do that and this research is about to finish and these fuckers are getting invaded and holy shit Europe is a clusterfuck and you bitches can suck on these 40 battle cruisers you age of sail suckers!

but I digress.

fun game.

This  O0
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: OJsDad on August 08, 2014, 04:18:54 PM
Quote from: MuzzyDev on August 08, 2014, 08:19:46 AM
I've been busy writing the manual and there is indeed a ton of stuff, which you really find when you have to explain it all in detail.  ;D

Any chance you can start releasing the manual one chapter at a time, even if they are not complete.  Would help with the learning curve.

One question maybe someone can answer now.  If I want to expand my region transportation value, do I have to either build road capacity at a factory or purchase it from another country.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 08, 2014, 08:51:54 PM
you need your steel mills making railroad capacity for a while to give yourself a nice cushion.  at the same time build up the provinces up to enclosed farming then build up the transport from unpaved road to medium railroads.  I havent seen the need yet to get into mechanical farming or high density rail.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: OJsDad on August 09, 2014, 08:22:27 AM
Alright, learning a lot last night.

Playing as Mexico. 

You don't need road, rail or ship capacity to build new roads or rail.  Those are used for the transportation of trade goods and units.

Learning how to conduct trade.  One issue is if you setup a trade deal and have the trading partner provide the shipping, they'll accept and then cancel a turn or two later because they don't have the shipping capacity.  Not sure if they didn't have it to begin with or if they had a better deal.

Found where budgets are controlled in the government section.  Would be nice to have that as a button at the top of the control panel.

The reports are nice, but it would be good if you could see more than just the last turn. 

Now, just one more click....
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on August 11, 2014, 01:37:15 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on August 09, 2014, 08:22:27 AM
Alright, learning a lot last night.

Playing as Mexico. 

You don't need road, rail or ship capacity to build new roads or rail.  Those are used for the transportation of trade goods and units.

Learning how to conduct trade.  One issue is if you setup a trade deal and have the trading partner provide the shipping, they'll accept and then cancel a turn or two later because they don't have the shipping capacity.  Not sure if they didn't have it to begin with or if they had a better deal.

Found where budgets are controlled in the government section.  Would be nice to have that as a button at the top of the control panel.

The reports are nice, but it would be good if you could see more than just the last turn. 

Now, just one more click....

Thanks so much for your feedback!  Yes, "capacity
' represents the number trucks, trains and ships you have to move materials--or troops.  For example, Road capacity replaces motorized Infantry.  You move 10 infantry units using road capacity, and their movement rate improves to 3.  If you don't have enough capacity, your troops can still get there the old-fashioned way--by marching at a speed of 1.

We are looking at possibly adding some custom hotkeys.  But panels remain sorted.  So if you are looking at income on the govt. panel, for example, and do some other things, look at other panels, etc, then return, the panel should still be sorted for Economy > Income.

We'd like to see more reporting, too.  It's on the list.

Chris--
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on August 11, 2014, 01:58:55 PM
Free-key, Free-key!

GX05X-RGCIG-G3JIY
ZQZVE-PVCQI-AIG70



Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: OJsDad on August 11, 2014, 03:31:57 PM
I really like the research.  I've always felt that one of the low points of most strategy games is that research costs are always the same, so you break the secret of the order that you need to research, it's pretty much the same from game to game.  But with TGW, you don't get research points, you get chances to earn them.  You know how many points you need, you just don't know how long it will take to get them.  Very good indeed. 

More developers need to implement ways to make the research trees more dynamic. 
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 11, 2014, 04:16:09 PM
the very first thing I do with a city to build up its research value.  piss off the world and take Canada, Central America and the top of South America are your researching quite quickly.   ;D
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: smithcorp on August 11, 2014, 06:28:45 PM
Bother - both keys taken already. Appreciate the offers though - better luck next week!
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Rayfer on August 12, 2014, 05:41:16 PM
Got one of the free keys last week and finally got around to playing today. Not enough to draw any conclusions but enough to get the same feel I get with CK2, EUIV and HOI3......lots going on and a steep learning curve. And that's not a criticism, just an observation. All of these games are challenging at first because it's hard to figure out what to do, how much of it to do, and the pacing as you move forward.  I look forward to figuring it out. I see on the Steam forums there are some youtube getting started videos.  Will have to check them out.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 12, 2014, 08:08:05 PM
you will definitely get to the point about 270 turns in that you need to start over.
and you will.
and then you'll get to the point 350 turns in that you need to start over.
and you will.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: TheCommandTent on August 12, 2014, 08:37:44 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on August 12, 2014, 05:41:16 PM
Got one of the free keys last week and finally got around to playing today. Not enough to draw any conclusions but enough to get the same feel I get with CK2, EUIV and HOI3......lots going on and a steep learning curve. And that's not a criticism, just an observation. All of these games are challenging at first because it's hard to figure out what to do, how much of it to do, and the pacing as you move forward.  I look forward to figuring it out. I see on the Steam forums there are some youtube getting started videos.  Will have to check them out.

Please post the links to any helpful videos you find.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Nefaro on August 12, 2014, 08:39:22 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 12, 2014, 08:08:05 PM
you will definitely get to the point about 270 turns in that you need to start over.
and you will.
and then you'll get to the point 350 turns in that you need to start over.
and you will.

I'm like that with all grand strategy games.  Even if I'm doing okay.

Gotta test out different strategies.   ^-^
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Rayfer on August 13, 2014, 06:57:55 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 12, 2014, 08:37:44 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on August 12, 2014, 05:41:16 PM
Got one of the free keys last week and finally got around to playing today. Not enough to draw any conclusions but enough to get the same feel I get with CK2, EUIV and HOI3......lots going on and a steep learning curve. And that's not a criticism, just an observation. All of these games are challenging at first because it's hard to figure out what to do, how much of it to do, and the pacing as you move forward.  I look forward to figuring it out. I see on the Steam forums there are some youtube getting started videos.  Will have to check them out.

Please post the links to any helpful videos you find.

Still looking. The 4 I went through last night were not at all helpful.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 13, 2014, 08:25:15 PM
so after building up what I can in the Philippines Ive been mostly ignoring it as it seems to revolt later in the game no matter what you do.  what I was surprised by was seeing all these new territories popping up under my control.  it seems they got bored and decided to take Hong Kong, Malaysia and Borneo!  now even though theyre a protectorate Im still not at war with the Dutch or Chinese.   O0
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 13, 2014, 11:47:36 PM
and a crash to desktop for being out of memory.
which is odd because Ive got 16 gigs of the good stuff on a pc that isnt 2 months old.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 16, 2014, 12:29:25 PM
according to Steam Ive got 93 hours under my belt so far.   8)
the 3th campaign has been interesting.  by 1915 Europe was still very quite and peaceful.  rebels on the Mexican border forced me to act and invade.  this caused the UK to declare war on me dragging its whole alliance along with it.  well....  its now mid 1918 and Central America, Northern South America, France, Ireland, UK, Germany, Italy, Russia and bits of Africa are now conquered.  Im all set to finish of South America, steamroll the Low Countries and take out Persia. 
Im still running into 'out of memory' crashes.  having superstacks of units seems to be the cause.  Ive got 4 stacks with over 200 units in each on the Persian border and the game hangs when I mouse over one.  done to often and it CTD.  stacks with a max or 50 to 60 units causes no problems.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Rayfer on August 16, 2014, 02:26:06 PM
GDS....I'm 50+ turns into a campaign as the USA.  I'm considering an excursion into Mexico. Appears there will be serious consequences! Seems you can't put artillery into an army stack...I wonder why not?
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 16, 2014, 02:51:17 PM
one of the things I like very much is that the overall dynamic of the game changes each time.  in my first game it was Germany that DOWed me not the UK.  just look at the country's diplomacy screen to see who theyre allied to before attacking.  also keep in mind that the Philippines are a hot mess with no resolution.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Rayfer on August 16, 2014, 03:00:45 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 16, 2014, 02:51:17 PM
one of the things I like very much is that the overall dynamic of the game changes each time.  in my first game it was Germany that DOWed me not the UK.  just look at the country's diplomacy screen to see who theyre allied to before attacking.  also keep in mind that the Philippines are a hot mess with no resolution.

Not sure what to do with the Phillippines...out of sight, out of mind. Probably a mistake.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 16, 2014, 03:50:50 PM
I didnt pay much atttention to them this round and the little fuckers invaded most of Indochina by themselves.  O0
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Rayfer on August 16, 2014, 05:52:38 PM
Now you got me looking forward to playing again tomorrow!
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 16, 2014, 06:45:49 PM
and the South seceded again.... ACW part 2.   >:(
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Ian C on August 17, 2014, 10:54:43 AM
It's really worth checking out the new manual (scroll down to 'view manual': http://store.steampowered.com/app/279140/) particularly for, amongst other things, this:

Page 20

Friendly Fire
When firing artillery from an adjacent region into a region where a battle is ongoing, there is a 50% chance that the artillery will damage your own units. This can be modified in your favor by deploying observation balloons in the region with the artillery, and aircraft in the region where the battle is taking place. Each air unit deployed in this fashion reduces the chance of friendly fire by 1%. So, as an example, if you have 10 Observation Balloons with your artillery and 10 fighters in the battle, the chance for friendly fire drops from 50% to 30%. This makes it vital to deploy as many of these air units as possible when using artillery support, and also to shoot down enemy aircraft that support your enemy's artillery barrage.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Rayfer on August 17, 2014, 12:12:45 PM
Thanks...I was unable to find a manual. I need one! Will have to look again.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 17, 2014, 12:41:24 PM
there needs to be more manual in the manual.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: son_of_montfort on August 18, 2014, 06:52:18 PM
So... I've been looking at this one for a while now. Is it worth jumping into the Early Access at this point?
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: OJsDad on August 18, 2014, 07:58:04 PM
Great question SOM. 

    First, if you can get a free access key, then yes, grab it.
   
    If you're paying for it then maybe. 

    I think the biggest thing that needs to be resolved is how the world powers respond to naked aggressiveness.  I'm playing as Mexico.  I've annexed everything from the Panama Canal to the Mexican boarder, except for Belize.  The US never seemed to care.  It wasn't until I invaded Cuba that someone decided to declare war on me.  It was the Netherlands.  I was able to quickly take all of their Carribean islands unopposed.  While I was taking them, the French then declared war on me, this while France was nearly totally overrun by the Germans and Italians.  I was then able to take the French lands in the Carribean and South America with no French opposition.

      There are quite a few of little things that need fixed.  For example, I have no idea who's at war with who, as it seems that the screen that shows it never clears a war off unless the losing country was annexed. 

      I sure these will get ironed out, just not sure how you'll feel about them.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Rayfer on August 19, 2014, 06:54:51 AM
Well....as happened to GDS, when I invaded Mexico playing as the USA, Britain immediately declared war on me but has yet to take any aggressive moves against me.  I still can't find any manual, it really needs one.  Field artillery can't be stacked with infantry armies, they are stand alone units. They get wiped out very quickly in battles.  All in all, I am enjoying this game. Making me think I might want to check out their WW2 game.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Gusington on August 19, 2014, 07:32:59 AM
I agree, I would really like a manual here to get a better idea of what I'm doing.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: OJsDad on August 19, 2014, 10:05:31 AM
There is a manual on steam. Just posted last week. I haven't had a chance to read it though.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Gusington on August 19, 2014, 11:03:26 AM
Yeah but people above commented that more info is needed for the posted manual.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Rayfer on August 19, 2014, 12:08:35 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on August 19, 2014, 10:05:31 AM
There is a manual on steam. Just posted last week. I haven't had a chance to read it though.

But where? I went looking for it but couldn't find it anywhere. Help!
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: steve58 on August 19, 2014, 12:27:52 PM
If you go to the Steam store page for MH:TGW, and scroll down....look on the right side of the store page under where it says Single-Player, Multi-player, etc....a little further down there is a link that says View the manual (http://store.steampowered.com/manual/279140).

It actually doesn't seem to be working at the moment (at least for me) and I can't seem to attach it since its larger than 3MB...

Link above appears to be working now...

Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Rayfer on August 19, 2014, 01:20:04 PM
Quote from: steve58 on August 19, 2014, 12:27:52 PM
If you go to the Steam store page for MH:TGW, and scroll down....look on the right side of the store page under where it says Single-Player, Multi-player, etc....a little further down there is a link that says View the manual (http://store.steampowered.com/manual/279140).

It actually doesn't seem to be working at the moment (at least for me) and I can't seem to attach it since its larger than 3MB...

Link above appears to be working now...
[/quote

I found the link but it just times out to a blank page.  But at least I know where it is and can check it later.  Thanks.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Rayfer on August 22, 2014, 10:07:54 AM
After invading and quite easily defeating then annexing Mexico....the real nightmare began.  Hordes of rebel militia (more powerful than the Mexican army) continually form in area after area, turn after turn, giving me a very difficult time. It's like the real war has just begun. If you don't crush them immediately they move up into southwest USA taking over undended areas in Arizona, Nevada, Texas and New Mexico. 
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: OJsDad on August 22, 2014, 11:13:25 AM
What, they don't want California either?
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Sir Slash on August 22, 2014, 12:18:32 PM
They already got California. ;D
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Rayfer on August 22, 2014, 12:29:45 PM
They went into Southern California but I had some troops there sufficient to fend them off. Those rebel militia are tough little buggers.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: steve58 on August 22, 2014, 02:45:27 PM
...nevermind.  think I figgured it out  :-[
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 22, 2014, 07:45:02 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on August 22, 2014, 10:07:54 AM
After invading and quite easily defeating then annexing Mexico....the real nightmare began.  Hordes of rebel militia (more powerful than the Mexican army) continually form in area after area, turn after turn, giving me a very difficult time. It's like the real war has just begun. If you don't crush them immediately they move up into southwest USA taking over undended areas in Arizona, Nevada, Texas and New Mexico.

I detached 3 units stacks on each province as I took them.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Rayfer on August 22, 2014, 08:20:28 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 22, 2014, 07:45:02 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on August 22, 2014, 10:07:54 AM
After invading and quite easily defeating then annexing Mexico....the real nightmare began.  Hordes of rebel militia (more powerful than the Mexican army) continually form in area after area, turn after turn, giving me a very difficult time. It's like the real war has just begun. If you don't crush them immediately they move up into southwest USA taking over undended areas in Arizona, Nevada, Texas and New Mexico.

I detached 3 units stacks on each province as I took them.

A wise decision on your part and one I didn't make....I detached 1 in each province which proved insufficient.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on August 26, 2014, 10:54:22 AM
Glad to hear you guys are enjoying the game!!  Please do us a favor and give us a recommendation on Steam.  It really helps the game get seen.

We will continue to balance militia but it's nice to see instability is working!

BTW, I was on vacation last week until today so that's why no keys last week.  I will post some later today.

Chris--
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 26, 2014, 12:38:46 PM
When I somehow triggered the 2nd US civil war I can understand rebel units on American soil but not in every province I've taken globally.  I would also like more instructipn on how the government screens work  so I can keep my people happy and avoid such things.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on August 26, 2014, 02:45:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback.  The government screens will be in the next manual update.  There are a lot of changes to the AI happening right now, both to make it smarter and to improve the overall performance of the game. 

In general, people are happy when they're fed and winning.  If conquered, the more differences in demographics, the more unhappy they will be.

Chris--
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on August 26, 2014, 03:09:13 PM
Here they are, two more keys!!

7JNJN-7TPEG-RDQIX
C99A2-ZLBVZ-IX3TN
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Deadskin on August 26, 2014, 03:35:46 PM
Woot !! got the 2nd one. Thank you, I enjoyed the other making history games.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: OJsDad on September 02, 2014, 08:57:25 PM
Steam installed the latest version but I cannot get it to run. It always crashes after I click next on the country selection screen.  It seems to try and load the game, then nothing happens.  A crash file message has come up a couple of times, but the file disappears.

Anyone get this to work.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Rayfer on September 02, 2014, 09:00:06 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on September 02, 2014, 08:57:25 PM
Steam installed the latest version but I cannot get it to run. It always crashes after I click next on the country selection screen.  It seems to try and load the game, then nothing happens.  A crash file message has come up a couple of times, but the file disappears.

Anyone get this to work.

I've been playing it on a 64 bit Vista rig thats 5 years old....no issues at all, runs fine.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 15, 2014, 09:29:07 PM
if I payed a bit more attention I could most likely have taken the world as Britan.  as is I'm 39 turns aways from the end and Ive just started my American invasion.  my Empire covers all of Europe, Africa, Russia, China....  shit its easier to list what I dont have.  final global screenshot to follow soon.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 15, 2014, 10:02:47 PM
fyi  hitting the print screen key doesnt take a screenshot.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on September 16, 2014, 03:38:42 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on September 02, 2014, 08:57:25 PM
Steam installed the latest version but I cannot get it to run. It always crashes after I click next on the country selection screen.  It seems to try and load the game, then nothing happens.  A crash file message has come up a couple of times, but the file disappears.

Anyone get this to work.

Check your drivers.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on September 16, 2014, 03:39:31 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 15, 2014, 10:02:47 PM
fyi  hitting the print screen key doesnt take a screenshot.

Steam automatically assigns a key for screenshots.  It's F12. 
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 16, 2014, 08:51:17 PM
AH HA!!! 
I was glad to see there wasnt a hard stop after turn 425 also.
now I can git them durn 'Mericans!
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 16, 2014, 08:57:12 PM
It took me forever to realize Steam has that built-in screenshot capability...
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 16, 2014, 09:07:51 PM
was it to hard for them to just use the friking "print screen" key?   :idiot2:
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: jomni on September 16, 2014, 09:16:10 PM
And it doesn't work sometimes. Have to do some workaround.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 16, 2014, 11:21:23 PM
if there was only a way to link it to the print screen key.   :buck2:
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: jomni on September 17, 2014, 12:21:15 AM
There should be a setting in options. Let you know when I get home.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Nefaro on September 17, 2014, 10:20:08 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 16, 2014, 08:57:12 PM
It took me forever to realize Steam has that built-in screenshot capability...

I first realized it when some game had an F12 hotkey which I was using.  >:(  Had to change it.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on September 29, 2014, 03:32:40 PM
Looks like we still need to do a bit more work before official release of TGW.  The good news is MORE KEYS!!

CKCQX-4JQIN-G4BYR
8Y3GN-9L2YK-B26GP

Also, please come to our Facebook page and show that you like us, you really, really like us.  https://www.facebook.com/MakingHistoryTheGreatWar?ref=hl (https://www.facebook.com/MakingHistoryTheGreatWar?ref=hl)

Thanks!
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 29, 2014, 07:23:19 PM
Quote from: MuzzyDev on September 29, 2014, 03:32:40 PM
Looks like we still need to do a bit more work before official release of TGW.  The good news is MORE KEYS!!

CKCQX-4JQIN-G4BYR
8Y3GN-9L2YK-B26GP

Also, please come to our Facebook page and show that you like us, you really, really like us.  https://www.facebook.com/MakingHistoryTheGreatWar?ref=hl (https://www.facebook.com/MakingHistoryTheGreatWar?ref=hl)

Thanks!

How much more work before official release?  What is new release date?
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on September 30, 2014, 07:52:43 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 29, 2014, 07:23:19 PM
Quote from: MuzzyDev on September 29, 2014, 03:32:40 PM
Looks like we still need to do a bit more work before official release of TGW.  The good news is MORE KEYS!!

CKCQX-4JQIN-G4BYR
8Y3GN-9L2YK-B26GP

Also, please come to our Facebook page and show that you like us, you really, really like us.  https://www.facebook.com/MakingHistoryTheGreatWar?ref=hl (https://www.facebook.com/MakingHistoryTheGreatWar?ref=hl)

Thanks!

How much more work before official release?  What is new release date?

Like I said, we are very close.  But we deliberately refrained from setting a new date because we delayed after three dates were announced.  We are very focused on the AI right now.  It's doing some very cool things as we have brought all the systems online, but also some unpredictable things like too many rebellions.  It's just balancing, but it's painstaking work that is time consuming, and we still need to have an editor and a tutorial to finish!

So short answer, it's as soon as we can get it out with everything we promised.

Chris--
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: MuzzyDev on October 06, 2014, 03:56:23 PM
Two more keys!!

LWM62-5D5BV-TX540
59YFH-H68ZK-Z58QJ

Huge update last week, let us know what you think!
Also, for those of you who use Facebook, please head over to the TGW page and give us a Like!  We're trying to hit 1000 !
https://www.facebook.com/MakingHistoryTheGreatWar?ref=hl (https://www.facebook.com/MakingHistoryTheGreatWar?ref=hl)

Thanks!
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Skoop on October 06, 2014, 04:10:54 PM
Got the first key, been waiting to get one of these for months.
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Tuna on October 06, 2014, 06:11:46 PM
Someone grabbed the second one..
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 06, 2014, 06:25:38 PM
One day....one day I'll get one.....
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: kirman on October 10, 2014, 02:32:58 PM
can someone also give free-key pls :'(
Title: Re: Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 10, 2014, 03:26:03 PM
 maybe someone can, but we are probably going to prioritize to the actual long-time contributing members of the site first.  SDR has a 2000 post lead on you and has been here for over 2 years. Might be nice if he grabs one first. ::)