GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Boggit on June 03, 2014, 11:09:54 AM

Title: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Boggit on June 03, 2014, 11:09:54 AM
Does anyone know if you can develop fleets - as by comparison you can with Warlock - to cross the seas? I've not encountered any in my last few games, so wondered if it was just me finding this. With all the water surrounding the game world it just seems bizarre not to have a naval capability - or is that in some future DLC?? :-\
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Shelldrake on June 03, 2014, 11:16:36 AM
I don't think that there is a naval capability in the game but there is a spell that will turn water to land, which creates a land bridge for your troops.
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: SgtRock on June 03, 2014, 01:34:46 PM
Quote from: Boggit on June 03, 2014, 11:09:54 AM
Does anyone know if you can develop fleets - as by comparison you can with Warlock - to cross the seas? I've not encountered any in my last few games, so wondered if it was just me finding this. With all the water surrounding the game world it just seems bizarre not to have a naval capability - or is that in some future DLC?? :-\

Ships never worked and were removed from Elemental games, long ago. I once asked Brad about ships and was told Ships are hard but, he planned to add them one day, still waiting! ::)

Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Martok on June 03, 2014, 01:41:18 PM
If there are naval units in this game, I've never seen any.  I'm pretty sure there aren't, though. 

IIRC, there was talk way back in the day (this was when Stardock was working on the first Elemental game) about adding a naval element, but it was eventually dropped as not being worth the investment in time/resources. 
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Boggit on June 03, 2014, 02:38:05 PM
I wonder what made them think they were 'hard' to do?
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Martok on June 03, 2014, 03:41:57 PM
Quote from: Boggit on June 03, 2014, 02:38:05 PM
I wonder what made them think they were 'hard' to do?
I'm not sure the issue was that they were "hard" to do, so much as that they wouldn't have added enough to the game versus expressed interest by the fanbase (I seem to recall the community's general reaction was "nice to have, but not required") combined with the time & resources needed to implement them reasonably well. 

Of course, I'm basing this off of memories 5+ years old, so you should take my words with as many grains of salt as you're comfortable with.  ::) 

Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: SgtRock on June 03, 2014, 04:05:02 PM
I guess it's hard to get the AI to use them correctly, Civ games have had ships from the beginning.
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: airboy on June 03, 2014, 04:43:19 PM
***** Is this a good game? *******

Please respond if you have played enough to have an informed opinion.
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Boggit on June 03, 2014, 04:59:02 PM
Quote from: airboy on June 03, 2014, 04:43:19 PM
***** Is this a good game? *******

Please respond if you have played enough to have an informed opinion.
I've played a couple of games, and I've enjoyed it. It falls down on an inability to retreat from a tactical battle, and no ability to cross the sea save for magic land bridges, which is totally artificial. I bought it in a Gamersgate sale @75% off, and most of the DLC I bought in a sale @50% off. For the price it is a good game, but I think Warlock offers much the same, and a lot more too, although you don't get the tactical battles, nor quests in any the same way. It's a pretty game with some nice artwork, although I'd have been happier to have ships, as there's so much sea on the maps.

Definitely a game to pick up in a sale, not so sure about paying full price tho' for the reasons I mention. Hope that helps.
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Steelgrave on June 03, 2014, 05:11:19 PM
Quote from: airboy on June 03, 2014, 04:43:19 PM
***** Is this a good game? *******

Please respond if you have played enough to have an informed opinion.

I enjoy it and have played it all the way through twice in the last year as well as....ummmm....a few shorter games in which my kingdom didn't make it to the end. It's my go-to fantasy game...until Sovereignty comes out.
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Tuna on June 03, 2014, 05:44:29 PM
I've played a couple games with transports in the game?
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Boggit on June 03, 2014, 06:00:21 PM
Quote from: Tuna on June 03, 2014, 05:44:29 PM
I've played a couple games with transports in the game?
So you can get round being stuck on a peninsula, or an island? BTW Star. A peninsula is a spit of land surrounded on 3 sides by water, not what I originally typed - a penisula, which might be something else surrounded by water... ^-^
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Shelldrake on June 04, 2014, 06:40:00 AM
Quote from: Boggit on June 03, 2014, 04:59:02 PM
Quote from: airboy on June 03, 2014, 04:43:19 PM
***** Is this a good game? *******

Please respond if you have played enough to have an informed opinion.
I've played a couple of games, and I've enjoyed it. It falls down on an inability to retreat from a tactical battle, and no ability to cross the sea save for magic land bridges, which is totally artificial. I bought it in a Gamersgate sale @75% off, and most of the DLC I bought in a sale @50% off. For the price it is a good game, but I think Warlock offers much the same, and a lot more too, although you don't get the tactical battles, nor quests in any the same way. It's a pretty game with some nice artwork, although I'd have been happier to have ships, as there's so much sea on the maps.

Definitely a game to pick up in a sale, not so sure about paying full price tho' for the reasons I mention. Hope that helps.

I enjoy the game...certainly the best $10 that I have spent on a game in a long time. It is possible to retreat from a battle if you create a custom character with the cautious trait. I have yet to see the transports mentioned by Tuna but will be looking for them now.
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: mikeck on June 04, 2014, 07:02:42 AM
The game never clicked with me but I have to disagree with Boggit: following enchantress is far more deep and complex then warlock. There are far more things you can do including personally creating your own units and choosing their upgrades. Battles are tactical requiring you to choose positioning and when you want to use certain spells and such. Having played warlock I find it to be more like Panzer general or you're just moving guys around.  enchantress is a very complex game it just never clicked with me
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Martok on June 04, 2014, 10:40:19 AM
It's certainly no secret I'm a pretty big fan of FE:LH.  Like Steelie, it's been my go-to fantasy strategy game for a while now.  (Of course, this may change when Sovereignty and/or Worlds of Magic gets released, but that's for the future. ;) )  There are certainly no shortage of flaws to be found -- the AI isn't always great on offense, I dearly wish battles were larger/more epic, and I too am of one of those bothered by the lack of a standard retreat option in combat -- but they don't sufficiently detract from my enjoyment of the game to keep it from being one of my favorite strategy titles in the last decade. 




Quote from: Tuna on June 03, 2014, 05:44:29 PM
I've played a couple games with transports in the game?
Huh, interesting.  I suppose it's possible.  I almost never build cities along shorelines, so I can't say I'm familiar with what additional build options might come with a "port" city.  (Perhaps a naval yard?)  Might be something to check out next time I play. 




Quote from: Boggit on June 03, 2014, 06:00:21 PM
A peninsula is a spit of land surrounded on 3 sides by water, not what I originally typed - a penisula, which might be something else surrounded by water... ^-^
:2funny:

Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Boggit on June 04, 2014, 04:11:00 PM
Quote from: mikeck on June 04, 2014, 07:02:42 AM
The game never clicked with me but I have to disagree with Boggit: following enchantress is far more deep and complex then warlock. There are far more things you can do including personally creating your own units and choosing their upgrades. Battles are tactical requiring you to choose positioning and when you want to use certain spells and such. Having played warlock I find it to be more like Panzer general or you're just moving guys around.  enchantress is a very complex game it just never clicked with me
You make a fair point. I'm mainly going on impression. I'd just got the sense that there was more going for Warlock in many ways, but as you say you can do lots of things in FE that you can't do in Warlock. Still haven't found any ships though... ;) Don't get me wrong, I do like FE:LH and it is very moddable in game, but Warlock does at least have ships, and sea monsters! :-)
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Tuna on June 04, 2014, 05:43:01 PM
I think the first ship I got.. I found.. the next one, I think I made, but can't remember.. lol.. I'll have to open an old save if I can find one and to screenshot.. I couldn't get it to battle other ships (nothing would happen).. but I was able to transport armies.. only thing is, you could only land them at beaches... most of the land you cannot land from with the high coastlines.. Maybe only certain races can create them?
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: SgtRock on June 04, 2014, 07:21:38 PM
I don't think I've ever gotten the bad taste out of my mouth from the first Elemental game to enjoy this one or any of the others. FE: LH is a better game but, some where it seems it lost something, too many things got removed from the original Elemental.
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Martok on June 05, 2014, 04:25:17 AM
Quote from: Tuna on June 04, 2014, 05:43:01 PM
I think the first ship I got.. I found.. the next one, I think I made, but can't remember.. lol.. I'll have to open an old save if I can find one and to screenshot.. I couldn't get it to battle other ships (nothing would happen).. but I was able to transport armies..
So naval units move armies around, but they can't fight each other?  Huh. 



Quote from: Tuna on June 04, 2014, 05:43:01 PMonly thing is, you could only land them at beaches... most of the land you cannot land from with the high coastlines..
Well that's consistent with other strategy games (such as the Civilization and Total War series), and it makes a certain amount of sense in any case.  Generally speaking, I imagine you'd want to be able to land troops where they could disembark easily. 



Quote from: Tuna on June 04, 2014, 05:43:01 PM
Maybe only certain races can create them?
I doubt it, unless it's perhaps restricted to just the Men (Kingdoms) or the Fallen (Empires).  The ability to transport armies across water would be too potentially unbalancing to bestow it upon only 2-3 factions. 

Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Martok on June 05, 2014, 04:26:54 AM
Quote from: SgtRock on June 04, 2014, 07:21:38 PM
I don't think I've ever gotten the bad taste out of my mouth from the first Elemental game to enjoy this one or any of the others. FE: LH is a better game but, some where it seems it lost something, too many things got removed from the original Elemental.
And *that* is why -- among other reasons -- I'm glad I never played the original one! 

Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Yskonyn on June 05, 2014, 12:37:06 PM
I am almost sure there are no ships in FE at all.
At one time in the Elemental development cycle  were ships, but as mentioned before they were removed.

If you do find ships in FE I would love to see some screenshots and get to know where and how. :)
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Boggit on June 05, 2014, 02:32:38 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 05, 2014, 12:37:06 PM
I am almost sure there are no ships in FE at all.
At one time in the Elemental development cycle  were ships, but as mentioned before they were removed.

If you do find ships in FE I would love to see some screenshots and get to know where and how. :)
I've got a game going at the moment. I haven't seen any, but if I do I'll shout! I'm playing the Urxen atm. I played Altar in my last game, but didn't see any ships. I think I'll try walking a unit into the sea, to see (if you'll excuse the pun) whether they create a transport.
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Tuna on June 05, 2014, 02:59:17 PM
found an old save where I had ships.. game before current game.. I think I 'found' them.. in like dock style ruins.. I don't think I could create new ones.. I also couldn't attack an enemy transport.. I wonder if you needed to have units on both to do that.. You can see that I have an Army loaded.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcloud-4.steampowered.com%2Fugc%2F3299198528651215296%2F0E1240C8478FFD05B901E589C4ECC4EC89E6D102%2F&hash=8834348ac3734bd759c2a8c7d71bdbacdf3fb069)
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Boggit on June 05, 2014, 03:36:10 PM
Well that's really good. Now I don't need to be trapped on a spit of land! The issue is now how to get them working? Thanks for that Tuna, good progress is being made here. :)
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Steelgrave on June 05, 2014, 03:59:15 PM
The game is on sale this weekend on Steam for $9.99. The rest of the Stardock titles are on sale as well. It amused me to look at the sale and realize I own almost all of the games already.   :o
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Tuna on June 05, 2014, 04:16:51 PM
I was trying to search forums for info.. sounds like in the beginning they had no ships at all.. I think they were having trouble getting the AI to use them properly.. So I may have gotten them by quest, cause I definitely couldn't build more.. I wonder if you had a town near a beach and could build a dock, if you could then build ships.. There aren't a 'ton' of beaches.. But they are there..
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Tuna on June 05, 2014, 04:17:41 PM
The game is definitely worth 10 bucks!.. I've gotten some good playing time out of it!  O0
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Martok on June 05, 2014, 05:53:58 PM
That's fascinating, Tuna!  I congratulate you on coming across something in the game that I have not.  (Of course, I've hardly played FE:LH exhaustively, so I shouldn't talk. ::) ) 





Quote from: Steelgrave on June 05, 2014, 03:59:15 PM
The game is on sale this weekend on Steam for $9.99.
Nice.  I know a few folks who could use a copy.  8) 

Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Yskonyn on June 06, 2014, 08:28:28 AM
Quote from: Martok on June 05, 2014, 05:53:58 PM
That's fascinating, Tuna!  I congratulate you on coming across something in the game that I have not.  (Of course, I've hardly played FE:LH exhaustively, so I shouldn't talk. ::) ) 




+1, although I have played FE quite a lot. :) Never came across ships, though and remembered from the Stardock forums they had been removed. A nice find! It's good to see they are in afterall... somewhat. ;) Like a prestige object!
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Shelldrake on June 06, 2014, 12:39:32 PM
Steam notified me last night that Gus was playing FELH. Another one succumbs to temptation! ;)
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Gusington on June 06, 2014, 01:47:45 PM
Thank you for the gift, Martok. But now I have a conundrum...which fantasy/strategy to play first? FE or Endless Legend?
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Martok on June 06, 2014, 02:26:34 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 06, 2014, 01:47:45 PM
Thank you for the gift, Martok.
You're welcome, Gus.  :) 



Quote from: Gusington on June 06, 2014, 01:47:45 PM
But now I have a conundrum...which fantasy/strategy to play first? FE or Endless Legend?
Whichever one you want, man.  8)  I didn't gift FE:LH to you with the expectation that you'd fire it up right away; it was just that the sale price this week was too good to pass up, and I felt you deserved the chance to try out a game so many of us here enjoy (especially since, by all rights, you were entitled to a free copy of the game like I was -- I'm still irritated they were no longer honoring that...). 

So if Endless Legend is the one that's particularly tugging at you right now, then go for it.  I promise I won't be offended.  ;) 



Now, if you're actually debating which of the two games to play based upon which you think would better fit your play-style, well that's a whole other conversation.  >:D 

Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Nefaro on June 06, 2014, 02:59:50 PM
From what little I understood of the flimsy backstory, the sea has separated the two continents almost totally for a long period of time.

I suppose this means that most of the various races didn't know how to build seaworth ships?  So maybe they're supposed to be a rarity?
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: airboy on June 06, 2014, 03:31:35 PM
I bought the game for $18 (physical disk from the UK).  I personally like to have a physical copy of the game and use steam only when I must.
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Tuna on June 06, 2014, 05:09:23 PM
What up with that!
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Yskonyn on June 07, 2014, 03:13:37 AM
Steam is having a 75% off deal on all Stardock titles.
FE's DLC is 50% off at this moment. Might be a good time to grab that missing DLC or get the game if you were on the fence.
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Gusington on August 28, 2014, 09:19:06 PM
I edited Airboy's upcoming Fallen Enchantress review (it's more like a guide, very well done) and it got me in the mood. What DLCs do you all recommend, if any?
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Shelldrake on August 29, 2014, 05:35:55 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 28, 2014, 09:19:06 PM
I edited Airboy's upcoming Fallen Enchantress review (it's more like a guide, very well done) and it got me in the mood. What DLCs do you all recommend, if any?

IMO Dead World is the best, followed by Quest pack and Leader Pack. Map pack and loot pack didn't seem worth it to me but YMMV.

This is a great game Gus. I think you will enjoy the mix of strategy, RPG and tactics. Too bad there isn't multiplayer.  >:D
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: undercovergeek on August 29, 2014, 05:42:39 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 28, 2014, 09:19:06 PM
I edited Airboy's upcoming Fallen Enchantress review (it's more like a guide, very well done) and it got me in the mood. What DLCs do you all recommend, if any?

me too
Title: Re: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Post by: Gusington on August 29, 2014, 07:10:37 AM
I'm glad there isn't MP because I don't need yet another PBEM bitchslapping from you, Shell.