Firstly, gadzooks! i didnt even know you could buy PC games off a shelf anymore, Civ III was my last bricks and mortar purchase and my folks bought me that for Christmas
Secondly, i only need to spend 2 minutes looking for a 'waaaaah this game is s***, it doesnt work properly, i want my money back' thread in a forum for an Alpha game even though they knew it was an alpha
The designers of Planetary Annihilation have gone one better and are actually selling their unfinished game on the shelves - whilst all kinds of 'business model crazy lets see whats out here' i cant help thinking this is going to bite them on the arse unless there is a massive explanation of what youre buying on the box
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/01/planetary-annihilation-boxed-copy/#more-217005
An Early Access physical copy?
WTH?
Initially it seems amazing, but when you think about it, there isn't much difference between this and all the early access/paid alphas people buy into over the internet every day. They may as well do it in a box as well and get more cash, if people are prepared to buy.
Remember the game is free, it's the box your paying for!! ;D
Seriously how can a box be unfinished ::) You must not understand marketing or didn't read the fine print! >:D
I'm sure unfinished limited edition deluxe versions are coming next!!!
I don't get it....why would anyone buy a physical copy versus just buying it online? They will still have to download the final version anyway unless the company plans to ship a final CD to everyone:) Or they plan to have a lot of goodies in the box like a usable manual.
Seems like a way to get a few extra sales from people who don't understand the process very well......
I never thought I would ever say this, but I can't imagine ever buying a physical copy of a game again, except maybe for my console....
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 01, 2014, 09:22:59 PM
I don't get it....why would anyone buy a physical copy versus just buying it online? They will still have to download the final version anyway unless the company plans to ship a final CD to everyone:) Or they plan to have a lot of goodies in the box like a usable manual.
Seems like a way to get a few extra sales from people who don't understand the process very well......
I never thought I would ever say this, but I can't imagine ever buying a physical copy of a game again, except maybe for my console....
I used to LOVE walking into a shop on a Friday full of expectation of what was being released - having no idea what games would be out that Friday. I remember the excitement as I saw that game I knew nothing about sitting in plentiful supply on the shelves and eagerly reading the back.
Later on, as you found out what was coming out, I remember going to the shop, not seeing it on the shelves so got all deflated only to be told by the guy behind the counter that they were in the back - they just hadn't got them out yet!!
Aaaaahhhh....fond memories. Now we're just spoilt with release after release and get very few gaming hours out of our purchases >:(
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 02, 2014, 12:57:21 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 01, 2014, 09:22:59 PM
I don't get it....why would anyone buy a physical copy versus just buying it online? They will still have to download the final version anyway unless the company plans to ship a final CD to everyone:) Or they plan to have a lot of goodies in the box like a usable manual.
Seems like a way to get a few extra sales from people who don't understand the process very well......
I never thought I would ever say this, but I can't imagine ever buying a physical copy of a game again, except maybe for my console....
I used to LOVE walking into a shop on a Friday full of expectation of what was being released - having no idea what games would be out that Friday. I remember the excitement as I saw that game I knew nothing about sitting in plentiful supply on the shelves and eagerly reading the back.
Later on, as you found out what was coming out, I remember going to the shop, not seeing it on the shelves so got all deflated only to be told by the guy behind the counter that they were in the back - they just hadn't got them out yet!!
Aaaaahhhh....fond memories. Now we're just spoilt with release after release and get very few gaming hours out of our purchases >:(
Now games are released before there even finished! Once you start selling snake oil there's no end to it!
Next, will they'll be selling games based on announcements, before development even begins.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 01, 2014, 09:22:59 PM
I don't get it....why would anyone buy a physical copy versus just buying it online? They will still have to download the final version anyway unless the company plans to ship a final CD to everyone:) Or they plan to have a lot of goodies in the box like a usable manual.
Seems like a way to get a few extra sales from people who don't understand the process very well......
I never thought I would ever say this, but I can't imagine ever buying a physical copy of a game again, except maybe for my console....
I don't know about anyone else, but I buy a boxed retail copy primarily to get a printed paper manual for the game, which rarely exists these days.
Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 01, 2014, 12:43:35 PM
Initially it seems amazing, but when you think about it, there isn't much difference between this and all the early access/paid alphas people buy into over the internet every day. They may as well do it in a box as well and get more cash, if people are prepared to buy.
I know its unfinished, you know but as the article alludes to, does granny huw in the shop looking for a game for the kids
Quote from: SgtRock on July 02, 2014, 01:08:46 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 02, 2014, 12:57:21 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 01, 2014, 09:22:59 PM
I don't get it....why would anyone buy a physical copy versus just buying it online? They will still have to download the final version anyway unless the company plans to ship a final CD to everyone:) Or they plan to have a lot of goodies in the box like a usable manual.
Seems like a way to get a few extra sales from people who don't understand the process very well......
I never thought I would ever say this, but I can't imagine ever buying a physical copy of a game again, except maybe for my console....
I used to LOVE walking into a shop on a Friday full of expectation of what was being released - having no idea what games would be out that Friday. I remember the excitement as I saw that game I knew nothing about sitting in plentiful supply on the shelves and eagerly reading the back.
Later on, as you found out what was coming out, I remember going to the shop, not seeing it on the shelves so got all deflated only to be told by the guy behind the counter that they were in the back - they just hadn't got them out yet!!
Aaaaahhhh....fond memories. Now we're just spoilt with release after release and get very few gaming hours out of our purchases >:(
Now games are released before there even finished! Once you start selling snake oil there's no end to it!
Next, will they'll be selling games based on announcements, before development even begins.
You mean like Kickstarter? :P
Reminds me of my feeling after running the CMSF (boxed version) for the first time. The real polish came years after.
Quote from: Greybriar on July 02, 2014, 01:18:39 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I buy a boxed retail copy primarily to get a printed paper manual for the game, which rarely exists these days.
Same here... ;)
Quote from: Anguille on July 02, 2014, 04:02:52 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on July 02, 2014, 01:18:39 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I buy a boxed retail copy primarily to get a printed paper manual for the game, which rarely exists these days.
Same here... ;)
Most people would but they rarely exist any more and I doubt these first access games will have them either....hard to have completed printed documentation when game not completed itself.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 02, 2014, 12:57:21 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 01, 2014, 09:22:59 PM
I don't get it....why would anyone buy a physical copy versus just buying it online? They will still have to download the final version anyway unless the company plans to ship a final CD to everyone:) Or they plan to have a lot of goodies in the box like a usable manual.
Seems like a way to get a few extra sales from people who don't understand the process very well......
I never thought I would ever say this, but I can't imagine ever buying a physical copy of a game again, except maybe for my console....
I used to LOVE walking into a shop on a Friday full of expectation of what was being released - having no idea what games would be out that Friday. I remember the excitement as I saw that game I knew nothing about sitting in plentiful supply on the shelves and eagerly reading the back.
Later on, as you found out what was coming out, I remember going to the shop, not seeing it on the shelves so got all deflated only to be told by the guy behind the counter that they were in the back - they just hadn't got them out yet!!
Aaaaahhhh....fond memories. Now we're just spoilt with release after release and get very few gaming hours out of our purchases >:(
I loved it too and miss those days...spent many hours just staring reading game boxes trying to find the single game to buy....now I just buy them all:)
Quote from: Greybriar on July 02, 2014, 01:18:39 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I buy a boxed retail copy primarily to get a printed paper manual for the game, which rarely exists these days.
That's the biggest advantage to a physical copy.
But since I can just put PDFs on my tablet, it's not a big deal anymore.
I
really don't miss having to go to the game store and finding out that the specific game(s) I want are sold out or not stocked at all. Good riddance!
Do any of you recall having to pre-order in a store, just to make sure you get a copy of an upcoming game? At least now you get to download and play Early Access in their current state. Back then you had to pay for a sizable portion up front and wait to see anything, if you really wanted it.
You guys are acting like this is the first time an unfinished game has ended up on a retail store's shelf. At least it's labeled as such, which is more than could be said about a lot of titles.
Quote from: tgb on July 02, 2014, 08:31:49 AM
You guys are acting like this is the first time an unfinished game has ended up on a retail store's shelf. At least it's labeled as such, which is more than could be said about a lot of titles.
LOL!
Quote from: SgtRock on July 02, 2014, 01:08:46 AM
Next, will they'll be selling games based on announcements, before development even begins.
And they'll call them something like "Season Passes"!
...
........
oh.
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 03, 2014, 08:36:10 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on July 02, 2014, 01:08:46 AM
Next, will they'll be selling games based on announcements, before development even begins.
And they'll call them something like "Season Passes"!
...
........
oh.
:2funny:
BooYah!
Headshot!
O0
Quote from: tgb on July 02, 2014, 08:31:49 AM
You guys are acting like this is the first time an unfinished game has ended up on a retail store's shelf. At least it's labeled as such, which is more than could be said about a lot of titles.
QFT!
(Assuming it
is labelled as such. UCG didn't know whether it would be or not.)
This isn't as easy a situation as it sounds.
We released Flashpoint Campaigns:Red Storm in October of 2013. It was actually playable and has mostly gotten consumer requested additions to the game. There was a single hot fix done in the past 9 months. We are set to go to the next game in the series.
Which is all well and good but the companies and customers want the product as fast as they can get it. We are the ones that pushed for time to get things done right. Most gamers now realize that you can't make code changes overnight and that they need to be tested. If done correctly that will take no less than 2 weeks.
We have a commitment to our customers to not release an unfinished product. That puts us in a select group. We don't sell you the Beta version. We actually do Beta testing BEFORE we sell you the game. What a concept. As well as giving free content at every update and at regular intervals until our next release.
Bottom line is, we are wargamers too and we feel just like you do about spending your time and money on a game. Simply, it should work out of the box. That is our commitment to you that our games do that.
Good Hunting.
MR
Quote from: Mad Russian on July 04, 2014, 08:16:02 PM
This isn't as easy a situation as it sounds.
We released Flashpoint Campaigns:Red Storm in October of 2013. It was actually playable and has mostly gotten consumer requested additions to the game. There was a single hot fix done in the past 9 months. We are set to go to the next game in the series.
Which is all well and good but the companies and customers want the product as fast as they can get it. We are the ones that pushed for time to get things done right. Most gamers now realize that you can't make code changes overnight and that they need to be tested. If done correctly that will take no less than 2 weeks.
We have a commitment to our customers to not release an unfinished product. That puts us in a select group. We don't sell you the Beta version. We actually do Beta testing BEFORE we sell you the game. What a concept. As well as giving free content at every update and at regular intervals until our next release.
Bottom line is, we are wargamers too and we feel just like you do about spending your time and money on a game. Simply, it should work out of the box. That is our commitment to you that our games do that.
Good Hunting.
MR
Keep making games, and I promise you, we'll keep buying them.