GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MengJiao on July 03, 2014, 09:38:17 AM

Title: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: MengJiao on July 03, 2014, 09:38:17 AM

  So sayeth my version of Mister King James.

   Anyway.  It's a 3-day weekend in the good ole USA and I have a mixed bag of games to try to play:

   1) Try to put away the Hoplites boardgame thing.
   2) Try to play Whistling Death boardgame thing.  The Whistler in this case is the Beaufighter, by the way, not the Corsair as the
        image on the box and even many Fighting Wings Enthusiasts seem to want to have it for some reason.
   3) ARMAIII...yet another fanboi-ish mental event is driving me to play this
   4) WitPAE PBEM...will we never be free of this?  Those icy hours come back some day.

And that's the story.  Here.  So far.
   
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Sir Slash on July 03, 2014, 09:58:56 AM
Finishing up ETW campaign and trying to pick-up Baldur's Gate 2 where I left off. Happy Birthday America!!!
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: bob48 on July 03, 2014, 10:34:46 AM
My newly and belated fascination with Skyrim looks like eating up a lot of time.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: tgb on July 03, 2014, 10:38:54 AM
Divinity:OS and the beta for Endless Legend.  I'll also be playing Pack Up And Move Everything Out Of The Living Room So The Tile Guys Can Put Down A New Floor Monday v. 1.3 with the Aching Back mod installed.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Blucher on July 03, 2014, 10:48:35 AM
I am hoping to finish Shadowrun: Dragonfall this weekend and maybe I will play some Panzer Corps. Unfortunately I have to work this weekend milking the cows. So that will leave little time for gaming.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 11:15:28 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 03, 2014, 09:38:17 AM

   2) Try to play Whistling Death boardgame thing.  The Whistler in this case is the Beaufighter, by the way, not the Corsair as the
        image on the box and even many Fighting Wings Enthusiasts seem to want to have it for some reason.

   

I have all 3 in the series (Over The Reich, Achtung Spitfire, and Whistling Death) but haven't got very far through the rules yet.

Are you just hex dogfighting or have you advanced enough through the rules to include attacks on warships and ground targets?
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: MengJiao on July 03, 2014, 11:37:57 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 11:15:28 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 03, 2014, 09:38:17 AM

   2) Try to play Whistling Death boardgame thing.  The Whistler in this case is the Beaufighter, by the way, not the Corsair as the
        image on the box and even many Fighting Wings Enthusiasts seem to want to have it for some reason.

   

I have all 3 in the series (Over The Reich, Achtung Spitfire, and Whistling Death) but haven't got very far through the rules yet.

Are you just hex dogfighting or have you advanced enough through the rules to include attacks on warships and ground targets?

  I've played versions of this system since Air Superiority.  Long ago I had Over the Reich? and Achtung Spitfire!  I was originally re-interested in the system by the Spitfires over Darwin! Top cover? module.  Then I remembered there was supposed to be a simpler version in Buffalo Wings!  (And there is, but:  Not really).  Then after mulling all that over I somehow found out about the ship cards.  So I think I'll crankout my own simplfied dog fight rules andthen use the operational and bombing rules as they are.

   So that's where I am.  I'll probably just be bombing things this weekend.  Not really sure.  At the moment I have:

Whistling Death
Spitfires over Darwin
Buffalo Wings

I've been looking at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/3490

Maybe I can get some simplifying ideas from that.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 11:55:15 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 03, 2014, 11:37:57 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 11:15:28 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 03, 2014, 09:38:17 AM

   2) Try to play Whistling Death boardgame thing.  The Whistler in this case is the Beaufighter, by the way, not the Corsair as the
        image on the box and even many Fighting Wings Enthusiasts seem to want to have it for some reason.

   

I have all 3 in the series (Over The Reich, Achtung Spitfire, and Whistling Death) but haven't got very far through the rules yet.

Are you just hex dogfighting or have you advanced enough through the rules to include attacks on warships and ground targets?

  I've played versions of this system since Air Superiority.  Long ago I had Over the Reich? and Achtung Spitfire!  I was originally re-interested in the system by the Spitfires over Darwin! Top cover? module.  Then I remembered there was supposed to be a simpler version in Buffalo Wings!  (And there is, but:  Not really).  Then after mulling all that over I somehow found out about the ship cards.  So I think I'll crankout my own simplfied dog fight rules andthen use the operational and bombing rules as they are.

   So that's where I am.  I'll probably just be bombing things this weekend.  Not really sure.  At the moment I have:

Whistling Death
Spitfires over Darwin
Buffalo Wings

I've been looking at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/3490

Maybe I can get some simplifying ideas from that.

I've been familiar with the Air Superiority system since it came out.  I've actually been leaning more towards relearning that one again, first, since it's easier.  I have two copies of Air Superiority, an Air Strike, and a The Speed Of Heat for Korea->Vietnam->Late 80s stuff.  The only drawback being that the component quality isn't very good for those older games.  Notably the rather plain counters of the two AS games.

It's crazy, but I even have other air combat systems too.  Like the old Flight Leader, Check Your Six! Jet Age (with the Arab-Israeli wars expansion - not even close to finished painting all my minis for this), and Birds Of Prey.  The last of which I'm both very fascinated with, yet also hesitant due to all the bookkeeping required.  The unique systems in BoP don't really scare me, but the many steps involved each turn do.  Fortunately the game has some Nomographs that eliminates most of the calculations so hopefully it can be done without bogging down TOO much.  I got it as a curiosity, because it's so unusual and I like to learn interesting game systems as much as playing them.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Shelldrake on July 03, 2014, 11:57:47 AM
Continue with my current game in Commander The Great War playing as Triple Entente interspersed with Legendary Enchantress Fallen Heroes playing as the skeleton dude. The necromancer spells are a lot of fun.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 12:08:24 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on July 03, 2014, 11:57:47 AM
Continue with my current game in Commander The Great War...


Is that upcoming update ever gonna arrive?  Or are you part of the testing team?
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: MengJiao on July 03, 2014, 12:18:36 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 11:55:15 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 03, 2014, 11:37:57 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 11:15:28 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 03, 2014, 09:38:17 AM

   2) Try to play Whistling Death boardgame thing.  The Whistler in this case is the Beaufighter, by the way, not the Corsair as the
        image on the box and even many Fighting Wings Enthusiasts seem to want to have it for some reason.

   

I have all 3 in the series (Over The Reich, Achtung Spitfire, and Whistling Death) but haven't got very far through the rules yet.

Are you just hex dogfighting or have you advanced enough through the rules to include attacks on warships and ground targets?

  I've played versions of this system since Air Superiority.  Long ago I had Over the Reich? and Achtung Spitfire!  I was originally re-interested in the system by the Spitfires over Darwin! Top cover? module.  Then I remembered there was supposed to be a simpler version in Buffalo Wings!  (And there is, but:  Not really).  Then after mulling all that over I somehow found out about the ship cards.  So I think I'll crankout my own simplfied dog fight rules andthen use the operational and bombing rules as they are.

   So that's where I am.  I'll probably just be bombing things this weekend.  Not really sure.  At the moment I have:

Whistling Death
Spitfires over Darwin
Buffalo Wings

I've been looking at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/3490

Maybe I can get some simplifying ideas from that.

I've been familiar with the Air Superiority system since it came out.  I've actually been leaning more towards relearning that one again, first, since it's easier.  I have two copies of Air Superiority, an Air Strike, and a The Speed Of Heat for Korea->Vietnam->Late 80s stuff.  The only drawback being that the component quality isn't very good for those older games.  Notably the rather plain counters of the two AS games.

It's crazy, but I even have other air combat systems too.  Like the old Flight Leader, Check Your Six! Jet Age (with the Arab-Israeli wars expansion - not even close to finished painting all my minis for this), and Birds Of Prey.  The last of which I'm both very fascinated with, yet also hesitant due to all the bookkeeping required.  The unique systems in BoP don't really scare me, but the many steps involved each turn do.  Fortunately the game has some Nomographs that eliminates most of the calculations so hopefully it can be done without bogging down TOO much.  I got it as a curiosity, because it's so unusual and I like to learn interesting game systems as much as playing them.

Yes, game systems have their own intrinsic interest, I think.  But I'm starting to get a better idea of my own limitations when it comes to actually playing them -- since I started playing boardgames again about 3 years ago.

For example -- Hoplite seems to be really about my speed: thousands of guys with spears running around on a level surface.  I can kind of understand that with the latest in glossy examples-in-the-rules technology.  BUT -- in their raw states -- games like Close Action and probably the Fighting Wings series, are just too fiddly for me to really get into.  I've taken to simplying the rules of games like that (and Command at Sea) and playing them all on Fighting Colors maps.  With varying results.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Gusington on July 03, 2014, 12:45:13 PM
I am three cities away from winning my Rome 2 Carthage campaign. Then tomorrow will be either Valiant Hearts or Wolfenstein: The New Order. And perhaps a dash of Endless Legend.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Tuna on July 03, 2014, 12:51:48 PM
Fireworks in our neighborhood tonight, so my 15 year old is having lots of friends over, doubt there will be any gaming to be done.

Stormy Fourth predicted,, so maybe try some FSX flying in a Hurricane!

Also probably play some more Age of Wonders III.

Interested to see what the starting price will be for AGEOD's Civil War ii on Steam (says available in 6 hours0
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Shelldrake on July 03, 2014, 01:16:42 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 12:08:24 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on July 03, 2014, 11:57:47 AM
Continue with my current game in Commander The Great War...


Is that upcoming update ever gonna arrive?  Or are you part of the testing team?

Sorry but I am not part of the testing team. Currently playing 1.4 like everyone else and waiting for the last 1.5  bugs to get squashed by the testing team.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Kushan on July 03, 2014, 01:20:52 PM
Been of since 4pm PST on Tuesday. Other then lighting off fireworks on Friday, its going to be almost all gaming for me this weekend.

Skyrim: Started a new battlemage last weekend. Finished Deep Falls Barrow and was on my way back to town when I encountered a Giant Ancient Spriggen (courteously of the Immersive Creatures mod). Managed to get it down to half health when I got hit by the tree stump it was using as a weapon and that was that.

Xenonauts: Gave v1.0 a go. AI seems to be munch improved since the last time I played. First mission out was a night mission, had a lizard alien get in behind one of my fireteams. I got a glimpse of him after I had advanced most of the team up, but he got into a covered position behind me and tore the them up. Next mission, I'm preparing to breach the alien craft when they counter attack out of it (first time I've ever seen them doing anything but sit there and wait), and I got the other half of my squad from mission 1 killed. Pretty much game over that early on.

Divinity OS: My frustration level is quickly going through the roof, not sure how much longer I'll stick with it. I love the game mechanics, and for how cliche the story is, its reasonably interesting. But I'm at a point where it feels like I need some magical combination in order to proceed. I go one way and I get torn apart by a zombie dog and its group of undead, and I go another and I get killed by a different group of undead. Already feeling like I'm banging my head against a brick wall, and when I get this way my enjoyment and interest in any game quickly goes out the window. Stupid thing is I know there has to be a way past that I'm missing, but damn if I can find it.

Distant Worlds: Continue my Kiadian campaign. Changing up my normal play style of micromanaging everything and playing with some automation turned on. So far its working out ok, although it has taken me a bot to find a balance of automation and direct control I can deal with.

State of Decay: Picked this up during the Steam sale. I played some of it on the xbox when it was first released, but coudn't get over having to use an controller. Looking forward to see how a mouse and keyboard work out.

Have a safe 4th of July everyone.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 03, 2014, 02:17:10 PM
Quote from: Tuna on July 03, 2014, 12:51:48 PM

Interested to see what the starting price will be for AGEOD's Civil War ii on Steam (says available in 6 hours0

This is from Matrix site so seems like an initial 25% of normal price, which is 39.99...

**From Matrix**

Some of you may have already spotted the game in Steam's 'Coming Soon' section, but for those who are not yet aware we are pleased to announce that Ageod's latest and greatest Civil War game is releasing on Steam today! In order to celebrate this joyous occasion, we are offering you a 25% discount on Civil War II, as well as a great bundle deal.

In a couple of hours, you will be able to grab Civil War II and the Bloody Road South expansion on the world's most popular digital platform. Those of you who already own Civil War II will be able to register their key with us to get a free Steam key!

Now is your chance to get immersed in one of the most historically accurate and in-depth games of the period. In Civil War II you take the part of the military and political leadership, trying to lead your nation to victory, in the midst of some of the toughest operations of the Civil War. You will build, organize and command your armies over one of the largest maps of the USA ever made for a Civil War game.

Click here for the Steam product page.

Already own Civil War II? Redeem your free Steam key here.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: -budd- on July 03, 2014, 04:28:05 PM
As time allows i'll probably throw out some more challenges in frozen synapse and i've re-installed Panzer Command Ostfront so i'll give that a spin again with maybe some airship dragoon mixed in.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 04:39:17 PM
Quote from: -budd- on July 03, 2014, 04:28:05 PM
As time allows i'll probably throw out some more challenges in frozen synapse and i've re-installed Panzer Command Ostfront so i'll give that a spin again with maybe some airship dragoon mixed in.

I reinstalled Panzer Command Ostfront last month.  All was well except for one thing.  It ran even worse than it did on my older computers.  ???  It was annoyingly sluggish.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: -budd- on July 03, 2014, 04:46:20 PM
seems to run ok for me [i've only played 2 small scenarios so far] the problem i have is i cant get the random campaign generator to work.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 07:48:32 PM
Quote from: -budd- on July 03, 2014, 04:46:20 PM
seems to run ok for me [i've only played 2 small scenarios so far] the problem i have is i cant get the random campaign generator to work.

I think it used a specific version of Internet Explorer and some plug-in(s) for creating the randomized stuff.  I recall there being some compatibility issues when later versions of IE came out.  It probably happened again after further updates to it.  :-[
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Toonces on July 03, 2014, 08:41:24 PM
I've been playing some Strike Fighters 2 with the Falklands War mod.  Pretty neat but I'll be doggoned if I can land the Harrier yet! 

Also looking at doing some dungeon crawling, maybe breaking open Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.

BMS Falcon and Rising Storm are also definites.

And plenty of surfing...we have a nice little swell running here this weekend!

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi263.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii123%2Ftoonces3%2Fimg00013_zps95fcb462.jpg&hash=74752c5e81fcb629ab7f5790f7592df7adc34972)
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 09:06:35 PM
I really like that screenshot Toonces!   8)
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: vyshka on July 03, 2014, 10:12:03 PM
I'm sure it will be another weekend with some Dialbo 3. I'm also in the mood for some Football Manager. Perhaps some Wildstar as well. I also need to spend time packing and filling out some paperwork before flying to NC on Sunday. Left Oracle today and start at Red Hat on Monday.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 04, 2014, 05:03:00 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 09:06:35 PM
I really like that screenshot Toonces!   8)
Reminds me of the first few minutes of Top Gun.

Does the mod model the ground war?

I'll definitely play sniper elite 3 and arma 3....and if I can force myself to get enough focus,  I'd like to dig into WWI Centennial and Civil War 2.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: undercovergeek on July 04, 2014, 05:49:11 AM
Working Sunday but between then and now there will be mostly Divinity, CKII and a little bit of Arma III

Happy 4th July to you guys
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: bbmike on July 04, 2014, 06:24:50 AM
Tempted to try Endless Legend even though it's only a beta. I'll continue my Civ4 WWI AAR at some point. If the 1.5 patch for Commander: The Great War comes out I'll try that.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: bob48 on July 04, 2014, 06:33:31 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 09:06:35 PM
I really like that screenshot Toonces!   8)

Me too. Its an excellent shot.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: undercovergeek on July 04, 2014, 08:27:21 AM
Quote from: bbmike on July 04, 2014, 06:24:50 AM
Tempted to try Endless Legend even though it's only a beta. I'll continue my Civ4 WWI AAR at some point. If the 1.5 patch for Commander: The Great War comes out I'll try that.

the guys behind the endless range make good games - dont think of it as broken/not working - i played endless space for months not realising it was still in beta
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 04, 2014, 08:59:29 AM
Friday threads on Thursday? pfft  ;)
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Pinetree on July 04, 2014, 09:04:15 AM
I'm currently mixing my time between Xenonauts, Shadowrun Dragonfall and Sniper Elite V2.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Tuna on July 04, 2014, 09:14:17 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 04, 2014, 08:59:29 AM
Friday threads on Thursday? pfft  ;)

Darn colonies rebelling again!
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on July 04, 2014, 10:32:52 AM
Borderlands 2 coop.

Really enjoy this game and I've racked up 150 hours playing the campaigns repeatedly with different characters.

I wish someone would make a realistic shooter derivative on the same scale.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Gusington on July 04, 2014, 11:09:30 AM
Yes...YES...YES!  :D

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcloud-2.steampowered.com%2Fugc%2F57735143819069854%2F9A647E6C20414BC3E0F6E3AD88C35095E0EF7AE6%2F&hash=c2b974c9607ea1c08bb99413cc610e269fe083b0)
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 04, 2014, 11:14:49 AM
Quote from: Tuna on July 04, 2014, 09:14:17 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 04, 2014, 08:59:29 AM
Friday threads on Thursday? pfft  ;)

Darn colonies rebelling again!
We'll have to introduce a tax on starting Friday threads early!
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: bob48 on July 04, 2014, 11:20:43 AM
^ROFL
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: bbmike on July 04, 2014, 11:28:48 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 04, 2014, 11:14:49 AM
Quote from: Tuna on July 04, 2014, 09:14:17 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 04, 2014, 08:59:29 AM
Friday threads on Thursday? pfft  ;)

Darn colonies rebelling again!
We'll have to introduce a tax on starting Friday threads early!

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarcentral.com%2Fpics%2FTurnAMC.jpg&hash=fdd08d6a6ed61e5d74ce0b09a0965ee40cee5ac5)
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: MetalDog on July 04, 2014, 11:30:00 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 04, 2014, 11:14:49 AM
Quote from: Tuna on July 04, 2014, 09:14:17 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 04, 2014, 08:59:29 AM
Friday threads on Thursday? pfft  ;)

Darn colonies rebelling again!
We'll have to introduce a tax on starting Friday threads early!


I wonder who the first person to pay the tax would be?   >:D


Quote from: bob48 on July 04, 2014, 11:20:43 AM
^ROFL


And what are YOU laughing at?!  It's your fellow islanders who break the law most often :P
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: bob48 on July 04, 2014, 12:25:57 PM
^LMAO :2funny:
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 04, 2014, 02:35:13 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 04, 2014, 05:03:00 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 09:06:35 PM
I really like that screenshot Toonces!   8)
Reminds me of the first few minutes of Top Gun.

dont encourage him.   ::)
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Martok on July 04, 2014, 03:05:43 PM
Been playing mostly Age of Wonders 3 and Armada 2526 Supernova the last couple days.  Also trying to get my head into/around Commander The Great War. 




Quote from: Gusington on July 04, 2014, 11:09:30 AM
Yes...YES...YES!  :D

Congrats, Gus! 

So now that you've completed/won a campaign, what's your impression of HatG? 

Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Sir Slash on July 04, 2014, 03:41:39 PM
Congrats to Gusington-ibal the Great! Romans everywhere live in fear of you.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: WallysWorld on July 04, 2014, 04:33:12 PM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky  Really liking this game.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Gusington on July 04, 2014, 10:20:45 PM
Thanks guys...Carthage has some awesome units and the campaign was very clear cut on Normal/Normal. That said it didn't feel any different from the grand campaign other than the smaller scale map and some objectives. In that way it was a bit disappointing. But I had a good time nonetheless.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Toonces on July 05, 2014, 08:34:12 PM
In a drastic turn of events, I have modified my list of games to include Harpoon 3 and Command: Modern Air and Naval Ops.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Toonces on July 05, 2014, 08:36:47 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 04, 2014, 05:03:00 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 09:06:35 PM
I really like that screenshot Toonces!   8)

Does the mod model the ground war?


As far as I can tell it models it the same way it is modeled in other Strike Fighter titles...your missions impact how the ground war evolves, supply and such.  I accidentally dropped a cluster bomb on a group of friendly commandos on one mission, so those guys are down there somewhere!   :-[
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Nefaro on July 05, 2014, 08:53:28 PM
Quote from: Toonces on July 05, 2014, 08:36:47 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 04, 2014, 05:03:00 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 09:06:35 PM
I really like that screenshot Toonces!   8)

Does the mod model the ground war?


As far as I can tell it models it the same way it is modeled in other Strike Fighter titles...your missions impact how the ground war evolves, supply and such.  I accidentally dropped a cluster bomb on a group of friendly commandos on one mission, so those guys are down there somewhere!   :-[

Yep, there are definitely friendlies about, although I don't recall ever seeing them actually engaging during a mission.  Of course, a vast majority of my strike missions have been behind the front lines.  I've not played an A-10 campaign yet, however. 

Not sure about that specific mod, but I think the ground war in the SF2 series progresses between your missions.  I don't think there's much activity while you're flying, such as it does in Wings Over Flanders Fields.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 05, 2014, 08:57:01 PM
Sniper: Elite 3.

I was hoping to finally be able to get into Divinity:OS but they still haven't patched the numpad bug so that's out.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: W8taminute on July 06, 2014, 11:08:24 AM
Nice win Gus!  I have yet to complete a campaign in RTW2.  Working on it slowly though and I bought Carthage during the summer sale so can't wait to try that out.

In the meantime I'm actually liking Age of Wonders 3.  It's definitely as captivating as Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes.  I'd say the two games are pretty much even for me with FE:LH having a slight edge with it's customize unit option.  But the artwork in AoW3 is definitely 'purdyier'.

Also continuing my Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag story.  Great game.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Gusington on July 06, 2014, 12:32:22 PM
^How far into Black Flag are you? I have that queued up for some time after Valiant Hearts, Wolfenstein, Thief and Endless Legend :)
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: W8taminute on July 06, 2014, 12:40:18 PM
I'm in the middle of Sequence 10 of 13 atm.  This particular Sequence seems very pivotal in the story and I suspect the remaining 3 sequences to progress fairly quickly.  (Sequences are like chapters in a story for those who don't know the series.  Each Sequence consists of several 'memories' (i.e. missions) that you must complete in order to advance the story. 
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Gusington on July 06, 2014, 01:45:53 PM
About how many hours in is that?
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: W8taminute on July 06, 2014, 05:01:41 PM
^I would say about 40 hours or so.  Next time I log in to the game I'll check my total playing time. 
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Gusington on July 06, 2014, 05:46:10 PM
The AssCreed games have always given me a lot of gaming on the dollar.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: bob48 on July 06, 2014, 06:52:23 PM
I'm really enjoying Skyrim.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Gusington on July 06, 2014, 07:13:15 PM
How far along are you?
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: TheCommandTent on July 06, 2014, 08:19:43 PM
Spent most of my gaming time this weekend with Divinity Original Sin and I am absolutely loving it.  It was well worth the money I put down on it.  It is a deep game that is really letting me come at it in my own way, making my own mistakes and forcing me to learn from them.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: mikeck on July 06, 2014, 08:31:16 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 06, 2014, 08:19:43 PM
Spent most of my gaming time this weekend with Divinity Original Sin and I am absolutely loving it.  It was well worth the money I put down on it.  It is a deep game that is really letting me come at it in my own way, making my own mistakes and forcing me to learn from them.

I like it too....but have no idea what I am supposed to be doing!
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 06, 2014, 08:33:38 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 06, 2014, 07:13:15 PM
How far along are you?

he was doing great until he took a pan to the knee.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Arctic Blast on July 06, 2014, 09:29:27 PM
I cannot stop playing Payday 2! Except for when I'm playing BroForce and Battleblock Theater.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 06, 2014, 09:47:52 PM
WoT had a x5 weekend so I ran my garage through that.  it's good to be back in my E-75.  like the least problematic great sex ex girlfriends who gives you just what you want.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: MengJiao on July 07, 2014, 09:20:47 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 03, 2014, 11:37:57 AM
   So that's where I am.  I'll probably just be bombing things this weekend.  Not really sure. 


    Bombing worked fine.  The simplified bombing rules in Buffalo Wings turned out to be pretty much not having any bombing rules.  Not the same as simple really.  But that's okay.  I'm sending in some Soviet Beaufighters since that's the only twin-engine plane the allies really have.  We'll see what the simplified Finnish Buffalos can do to stop those.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: undercovergeek on July 07, 2014, 09:31:38 AM
Turned into a Divinity fest for me - just the first 45 mins over and over again until i felt i got my build right - only now to find a guide that goes into the skills and attributes much deeper and ill probably find theres a better one

very happy with game so far

and a litle bit of Arma III for when i need to mow baddies down in real life tactics style, which essentially means getting killed over and over but still i enjoy it!
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 07, 2014, 09:33:46 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 07, 2014, 09:31:38 AM
Turned into a Divinity fest for me - just the first 45 mins over and over again until i felt i got my build right - only now to find a guide that goes into the skills and attributes much deeper and ill probably find theres a better one

very happy with game so far

and a litle bit of Arma III for when i need to mow baddies down in real life tactics style, which essentially means getting killed over and over but still i enjoy it!

Which specific guide did you find?  I found a video that had some of it, was that it or is there a better one?
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: undercovergeek on July 07, 2014, 09:40:17 AM
theres the one you posted (the one im referring to)

and earlier i think Mikeck posted a link to a site with strategy, combat tips and an actual step by step guide to completing the first main story and all the sub missions therein - trying to stay clear of that one
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 07, 2014, 09:45:41 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 07, 2014, 09:40:17 AM
theres the one you posted (the one im referring to)

and earlier i think Mikeck posted a link to a site with strategy, combat tips and an actual step by step guide to completing the first main story and all the sub missions therein - trying to stay clear of that one

Ok thanks, just wanted to make sure there wasn't more hidden gems out there:)
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: bob48 on July 07, 2014, 09:51:33 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 06, 2014, 07:13:15 PM
How far along are you?

I'm almost level 8 (as a warrior). Followed a few quest chains and doing a lot of general running around and exploring.

Just playing vanilla ATM, I must look at some mods - there are just so many of 'em.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: undercovergeek on July 07, 2014, 09:55:00 AM
Quote from: bob48 on July 07, 2014, 09:51:33 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 06, 2014, 07:13:15 PM
How far along are you?

I'm almost level 8 (as a warrior). Followed a few quest chains and doing a lot of general running around and exploring.

Just playing vanilla ATM, I must look at some mods - there are just so many of 'em.

seen one called STEP (graphics not gameplay) that looks amazing
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Gusington on July 07, 2014, 01:30:27 PM
Never modded Skyrim...I loved vanilla.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 07, 2014, 01:44:18 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 07, 2014, 09:55:00 AM
Quote from: bob48 on July 07, 2014, 09:51:33 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 06, 2014, 07:13:15 PM
How far along are you?

I'm almost level 8 (as a warrior). Followed a few quest chains and doing a lot of general running around and exploring.

Just playing vanilla ATM, I must look at some mods - there are just so many of 'em.

seen one called STEP (graphics not gameplay) that looks amazing

...and I've heard amazingly difficult to install, as well. Does look spectacular though.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Kushan on July 07, 2014, 02:22:50 PM
I more or less played Xenonauts all weekend. Deep into my second game. Not repeating my previous mistake of not alternating newbies into my squads for training. Been running two full teams since I could manage it, buts its delayed getting my second base up and running. Logged off last night with Base 1 is under attack. Hopefully I can capture the alien officer that if present in this attack.

Played some Skyrim yesterday afternoon. Have my Breton battlemage to level 5. Would have been higher but I had to load and earlier save because the first dungeon in the mages college questline was kicking my ass. So far, all my mods seem to be running fairly stable. Between the Skyrim memory patch, and ENBoost, I've seen a huge boost in performance. I have to use Bandicam to cap my frame rate. Turns out Skyrim doesn't like running over 60 fps.

Quote from: Gusington on July 07, 2014, 01:30:27 PM
Never modded Skyrim...I loved vanilla.

Why would you not mod Skyrim? Vanilla is nothing compared to a modded game IMHO. It can be a slippery slope, you can easily spend more time looking for and installing mods then actually playing.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Nefaro on July 07, 2014, 07:01:31 PM
Quote from: Kushan on July 07, 2014, 02:22:50 PM


Quote from: Gusington on July 07, 2014, 01:30:27 PM
Never modded Skyrim...I loved vanilla.

Why would you not mod Skyrim? Vanilla is nothing compared to a modded game IMHO. It can be a slippery slope, you can easily spend more time looking for and installing mods then actually playing.

I also never modded Skyrim, other than an FOV mod to help with the motion sickness it could give me.  I'm sure the mods are great but unless I really get deep into Skyrim, I'm not gonna spend time on Mod Soup. 

Hell.. I'd like to start up a new game but I haven't been encouraged to do so just because I'll have to hunt down an FOV mod and jack with that again.  So much stuff to play which doesn't need a mod for me to play - some of which I've not even started.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Gusington on July 07, 2014, 08:09:13 PM
Never modded Skyrim because of what you posted above...I wanted to finish it and not just mod it. But now that I've finished it...
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Kushan on July 07, 2014, 09:19:20 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 07, 2014, 07:01:31 PM
Hell.. I'd like to start up a new game but I haven't been encouraged to do so just because I'll have to hunt down an FOV mod and jack with that again.

You shouldn't need a mod to change the FOV. You can just open the console via the ~ key, and type "FOV x". I use it to change FOV to 75-80. Unless I'm misunderstanding what your using it for.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Toonces on July 07, 2014, 10:29:26 PM
I don't typically mod my games, but in this case I recommend experimenting with some mods for Skyrim.  They really do add to the quality of the game.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Nefaro on July 07, 2014, 10:58:55 PM
Quote from: Kushan on July 07, 2014, 09:19:20 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 07, 2014, 07:01:31 PM
Hell.. I'd like to start up a new game but I haven't been encouraged to do so just because I'll have to hunt down an FOV mod and jack with that again.

You shouldn't need a mod to change the FOV. You can just open the console via the ~ key, and type "FOV x". I use it to change FOV to 75-80. Unless I'm misunderstanding what your using it for.


IIRC, it used to change itself back to default at certain spots.  Dunno if they ever fixed that in a patch. 

There was some text edit workaround to make it automatically set a specific FOV whenever you entered any new area or something changed.  Maybe I'll just do it manually whenever needed, if it doesn't happen often.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: bob48 on July 08, 2014, 05:16:55 AM
Thanks, Toonces for the list of mods. I haven't put them all on yet, but the 'Towns and Villages Enhanced' are good.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Shelldrake on July 08, 2014, 07:50:15 AM
Quote from: bob48 on July 08, 2014, 05:16:55 AM
Thanks, Toonces for the list of mods. I haven't put them all on yet, but the 'Towns and Villages Enhanced' are good.

Can one of you post the list of Toonce's suggested mods? Thanks.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Sir Slash on July 08, 2014, 08:58:23 AM
I finished-off my on-again, off-again ETW campaign with a win as Russia in the summer of 1724. The last fight was a typical TW back-stab of my loyal-from-turn-one-ally Georgia. But for the win, they understood. This gives me a campaign win in every TW game from Rome 1 to present with the exception of NTW and the current Rome 2. I played the campaign on the hard difficulity level but really after I got Russia going in the early game, it wasn't that hard. I think Shogun 2 was more of a challenge. Vodkas all around to celebrate, Comrades. :)
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Gusington on July 08, 2014, 09:11:07 AM
Georgia remembers.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: undercovergeek on July 08, 2014, 09:35:41 AM
Quote from: bob48 on July 08, 2014, 05:16:55 AM
Thanks, Toonces for the list of mods. I haven't put them all on yet, but the 'Towns and Villages Enhanced' are good.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3977033/Skryim_STEP#Post3977033

see them STEP shots
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: bob48 on July 08, 2014, 12:52:45 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on July 08, 2014, 07:50:15 AM
Quote from: bob48 on July 08, 2014, 05:16:55 AM
Thanks, Toonces for the list of mods. I haven't put them all on yet, but the 'Towns and Villages Enhanced' are good.

Can one of you post the list of Toonce's suggested mods? Thanks.

Here ya go;

Random Alternate Start
Wet and Cold Ashes
Wet and Cold
Bandoliers and Pouches
Enhanced Distant terrain
Towns and Villages Enhance (note, there are a few here to pick from)
Lanterns of Skyrim
Gleaming Falls
Immersive saturation Boost
True Skyrim
RNG Dynamic Guards
Frostfall Hypothermia
Wearable Lanterns (Note - I got an error message with this one as it seems you need SKYUI installed)
There is a further one - Project Reality - Climates, but unfortunately, I can't read me own writing for the rest of it :-)
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Toonces on July 08, 2014, 09:30:52 PM
Gleaming Falls, Hypothermia, and the Enhanced Villages are my favorites.  Oh, and wearable lanterns.  And Cloaks of Skyrim.  And Winter is Coming.  Yeah, lots of good stuff there.

I'm a n00b at any graphics enhancements, though.  That STEP looks niiiiiiice, but it sounds hella hard to install.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Kushan on July 08, 2014, 09:50:52 PM
Skyrim HD 2k Textures, with either Project Reality - Climates of Tamriel on Realistic Colors Realistic Nights (RCRN) for graphics. Some of the ENBs are nice, but I don't generally prefer them to CoT or RCRN.. Cabal120's aMidianBorn Book of Silence armor re-textures is a must have as well.
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2014, 09:57:38 PM
Are the mods easy to manage? Easy to install and uninstall? Any compatibility issues?
Title: Re: This Thursday is like unto Friday unto me
Post by: Kushan on July 08, 2014, 10:21:22 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2014, 09:57:38 PM
Are the mods easy to manage? Easy to install and uninstall? Any compatibility issues?

Get the Nexus Mod Manager, its simple double click to instal/uninstall.

As for compatibility, it depends on what your trying to mod. Most mods should work together, if your smart about it. Don't try to install and run multiple mods that overhaul combat for instance, unless the mod authors say they will work together or they effect different things. Graphics mods, NMM will give you a pop up if one texture is going to overwrite another, and you can choose what one you want.

Also its generally good practice to not uninstall a mod mid game. Installing is new ones mid game is ok for the most part, but uninstalling can lead to some bad things.