Wow, this sounds like a potentially great game. Sort of like Frozen Synapse, but with more of a Shadowrun Returns look. It is an "early access" dealie - so I won't touch it any time soon :) - but I do hope it makes a proper v1.0 because it sounds like it is going to be a fun game:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/243970/
QuoteInvisible, Inc. is a mercenary espionage agency operating in the late 21st century. Powerful corporations have taken over the world, enforcing an uneasy peace after long decades of war. The armies may have disbanded, but a shadow conflict rages on in corporate towers and industrial parks of a ravaged world. This is where Invisible thrives.
You are the Operator, and you direct Invisible's agents in the field. Infiltrate procedurally generated corporate facilities in tense, turn-based missions where every move could be your last. Find profit in chaos as you guide your team around the world in search of lucrative contracts. Infiltrate the corps directly when they are least expecting it, and use the proceeds to upgrade and outfit your agents.
Play in either endless or campaign modes. You'll need deadly tactical skills to survive long enough to uncover the secrets behind Invisible's founder and her mysterious AI assistant.
It's your move, Operator.
saw that a few days ago it's on my list to follow. Thought about just posting about it because i knew it was up your alley 8) ..your right it's too early......but hey if it goes 75% off ...well then its not early :2funny:
Quote from: -budd- on August 19, 2014, 05:18:40 PM
saw that a few days ago it's on my list to follow. Thought about just posting about it because i knew it was up your alley 8) ..your right it's too early......but hey if it goes 75% off ...well then its not early :2funny:
Hey, thanks for keeping me in mind! :) Guess I just beat you to the punch. :P ;D But you're right: I have really developed a taste for these cyberpunk-themed, covert op games. I guess it is because I find them really refreshing. I am tired of playing "the man of destiny!" in every game. I like these noir-inspired games where you are the shadowy underdog. :coolsmiley:
I agree, if this game goes on sale, then I am willing to take a risk. I was digging a little into this and discovered this is the same dev who made the successful game Don't Starve. So I doubt this is going to be a fly-by-night scam. He has even set a realistic "early 2015" release date, so no false promises of "it's almost finished!"
Based on the initial scuttlebutt in the Steam forums, the game is already fun to play. But, again, I will definitely be waiting a bit.
Let's play vid:
Haven't finished this whole LP yet, but what I see already impresses me. There is a lot more detail to the gameplay than what I expected!
It looks fun. It kind of reminds me of Evil Genius.
Quote from: -budd- on August 19, 2014, 05:18:40 PM
saw that a few days ago it's on my list to follow. Thought about just posting about it because i knew it was up your alley 8) ..your right it's too early......but hey if it goes 75% off ...well then its not early :2funny:
I agree with you, but 20% off on early access is not a big enough discount to persuade me at this stage.
QuoteYou are the Operator, and you direct Invisible's agents in the field. Infiltrate procedurally generated corporate facilities in tense, turn-based missions where every move could be your last. Find profit in chaos as you guide your team around the world in search of lucrative contracts. Infiltrate the corps directly when they are least expecting it, and use the proceeds to upgrade and outfit your agents.
Play in either endless or campaign modes. You'll need deadly tactical skills to survive long enough to uncover the secrets behind Invisible's founder and her mysterious AI assistant.
This is what I wanted out of the new Shadowrun stuff. Maybe this one will deliver the full-on experience, even if it doesn't have quite such a fun and dynamic background setting.
Quote from: Nefaro on August 19, 2014, 10:43:29 PM
This is what I wanted out of the new Shadowrun stuff. Maybe this one will deliver the full-on experience, even if it doesn't have quite such a fun and dynamic background setting.
Me, too! But while the two base campaigns were entirely scripted, there is an "endless" mod for Shadowrun that is getting very good reviews:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=297402271
QuoteShadowrun Unlimited
Shadowrun Unlimited is designed to be more than a simple campaign; it's the world of Shadowrun.
-Replayable Runs with random elements, assigned randomly by fixers from their "pool" of runs. Fixers may offer many jobs, but only offer a few at a time. Shadowrunners don't always get to pick exactly what jobs they want to work.
-Sandbox style gameplay.
-Players gain Street Cred for completing runs, along with Karma and Nuyen rewards. Street Cred allows the player to access higher level fixers and merchants.
-Completing runs will cause the player to gain both Heat and Notoriety. Heat causes Lone Star to spawn with greater frequency, and Notoriety will cause them to attack on sight (once a certain threshhold is reached). Heat can also be increased by setting off alarms during runs.
-Players can rent a variety of Safe Houses. Safe houses allow the player to rest and recover their health, as well as lower their Heat rating. More expensive safe houses provide access to cheap support items, more efficient healing, and eventually character buffs. Players can purchase an upgradeable safe house and customize it as they see fit.
-Assault Rifles, SMG's and Shotguns are illegal. If the Lone Star stops you with one of these weapons they will attempt an arrest, violently. This can be avoided buy acquiring a forged Weapon Permit.
-Players can buy DocWagon contracts, which allow them to respawn inside the same zone upon death. The better the contract, the more respawns that are allowed, and the cheaper the service charge. This is however optional for new characters that are having trouble making ends meet.
-Characters with high Charisma are able to negotiate for a little something extra when they are offered a job.
-Designed for new characters. Slower paced gameplay, with money "sinks". Don't expect to max out your character in one sitting, and getting started in Seattle isn't going to be easy. But once you get your feet wet, you'll be making steady money.
-A Taxi System that can be used to travel between all the hub zones.
-NPC runners are hired, and follow you throughout the world until the job is complete (or they are defeated). Players no longer hire runners on a per-map basis. Getting runners killed will increase their future hiring costs, but performing successful runs with them will level it back out.
-A Commlink System that allows players to call their contacts, such as fixers, runners, and of course the taxi. Runners hired over the phone will arrive at the players location within a few seconds. *The Commlink is accessed by clicking on your character, outside of combat.
-There is a basic journal system built in. Whenever you activate your commlink, a brief message will appear guiding you in the right direction.
-A day and night cycle to help bring the world to life. Watch the sun rise and set as you sit idle. Transitioning zones speeds up the process. Some encounters will only happen during certain times of the day.
-A branching story that will take players down different paths depending upon the choices they make. These choices will exclude other options, and create proper repercussions to decisions. And once this story runs it's course, I will begin building another. No need to import characters into a new UGC, you can just wake up in your Safehouse and kick off your next adventure.
-A global Matrix that can be accessed from any jack-points in the world (aside from run maps). Deckers can now hack into the Matrix before a run starts and open MagLock doors, disable security cameras, and more before the team arrives at the run location. When not hacking the Matrix for a run, deckers can earn extra cash by delving into data nodes and retrieving files. There is a certain fixer hanging his hat Downtown that is willing to pay for stolen data files.
-Six special matrix programs, that act like matrix-only attributes. Masking, Exploit, Spoof, Delete, Edit, and Browse. They expand the potential of the matrix, as well as expanding decker growth potential beyond the two skills. Players can now upgrade their Deck Storage to allow for more data files to be downloaded when raiding Datastore.
-A unique system hidden in the world that allows players to weaken their characters in exchange for special rewards, effectively allowing infinite karma spending.
-Integrated Tracker's Street Samurai's Catalogue. Fleshed out the rest of the items such as spells and cyberdecks to fall in-line with the same financial scale as Tracker's cyberware.
*This UGC is not "finished". The current story is not complete, and the world is not completely "fleshed out". This is completely playable, but is under a constant state of development with on average, a large update every week (not including bug fixes). This game will probabaly never be "done" as I will always be expanding upon it, so don't be afraid to jump in now.
*If you like this UGC don't forget to give it a thumbs up! And if you have an ideas, or would like to lend a hand, look at the discussions below and... well you should be able to figure it out. ENJOY!
*Special Thanks to the developers who help bring Shadowrun Unlimited to life:
Tracker- for the "Street Samurai's Catalogue"
backburnercomics- for "Memphis Motors"
Mad Hatter- for the "Nature Pack"
Asmodean13- the "Arbor's Embrace story"
Haven't tried it yet because I am still having fun with the campaigns, but I definitely am going to give it a try. I just hope this mod isn't damaged by the upcoming "Dragonfall Director's Cut" re-release which is going to impact some mod functionality (for good and a bit of ill).
Quote from: RooksBailey on August 19, 2014, 11:58:16 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 19, 2014, 10:43:29 PM
This is what I wanted out of the new Shadowrun stuff. Maybe this one will deliver the full-on experience, even if it doesn't have quite such a fun and dynamic background setting.
Me, too! But while the two base campaigns were entirely scripted, there is an "endless" mod for Shadowrun that is getting very good reviews:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=297402271
I plan on trying that eventually. Figured I'd give the UGC people time to shake down their creations first.
Looks like 'Das' just put up a Let's Play for
Invisible, Inc. earlier!
Yep... I purchased in no time.
looking forward to your opinion on the game.
Quote from: Boggit on August 19, 2014, 10:25:05 PM
It looks fun. It kind of reminds me of Evil Genius.
That was my thought exactly when I saw the artwork.
I bought it and tried the Tutorial already.
Didn't have enough time yet to fully explore the game though.
So far it seems like squad (2 guys) turn based stealth game.
I've heard it is unforgivably difficult.
I played the Tutorial and one mission. Initial impressions.. this game is fantastic! O0
It is obviously pretty challenging, but that makes the stealth strategy much more enjoyable when you're slipping through by the skin of your teeth during a sizable number of turns every mission.
It's not cut & dried, either. There is room for different approaches to situations. In my first mission, for example, I had to keep two guards tazed in the same room while keeping my faster agent (of the two) moving back & forth between looting nearby safes and helping to stun whichever guard was gonna get up next. Your starting tazer-style weapons have a 3-turn cooldown while guards are only stunned for 2 turns. However, you can have an agent standing on the same space as a stunned guard keep their stun timer from counting down. So this helped manage them, even though I still had to scramble to keep them both down before they shot me. In the end, the place hit Security Level 4 and a bigger badder faster guard showed up in a nearby room so I had to boogie out of there, as two plus one Mongo was too much for my newb runners to handle.
I didn't manage to loot everything in the joint, but I got enough money and new items to make it profitable before escaping. So beware getting a completionist itch on each run, because you probably need to prioritize and get out before it gets overly hot.
I can see a lot of strategy on offer here, of the turn-based tactical type with a stealth focus. My brief experience thus far has also impressed me with the quality of the presentation. It didn't feel like an Alpha or Beta. If the dev plans on spending another half year adding content to it, as stated, this may well be my new favorite digital drug. I'm already satisfied with my Early Access purchase. Nef gives it two Hell Damn Yeahs!
Better not talk it up too much or Rooks will fold 8). I also read some complaining of the difficulty on the steam forums, it sounded like they were of the completionist bent. nothing wrong will a little challenge as long as its fair.
Quote from: -budd- on August 20, 2014, 10:17:14 AM
Better not talk it up too much or Rooks will fold 8). I also read some complaining of the difficulty on the steam forums, it sounded like they were of the completionist bent. nothing wrong will a little challenge as long as its fair.
It is definitely challenging. Then it gets bumped up further when you start running into heavily armored guards & bots that have some immunities. In those cases avoidance is your only hope unless you've been lucky enough to find/buy armor piercing bullets or other equipment to get around it. Within the tight office confines it can be very tricky especially since the alert level is constantly increasing over time. The longer you take on a mission, the more difficult it becomes.
Nevertheless, this is already a very entertaining game in it's current state and I've experienced no major bugs in the first four missions. The main game mode has a 72 hour countdown until some big final mission. You choose your missions in the meantime, attempting to gather money and equipment for this final run. Once you've completed this main mode, it reportedly unlocks the Sandbox mode for extended plays. The devs have stated that they are going to add in an Easy difficulty level option.
They still need to add more inventory management features, because there is currently no way to trade items directly between your characters. I noticed a 'Drop Item' command while in-mission but I don't yet know whether it can be picked back up or is lost when you do so. So make sure that when you loot or buy something while in-mission that you have the proper character getting it. For example, I had one agent with a pistol with very limited ammo but when my other agent found extra ammo in a safe and picked it up, I was in a quandary as how to get it to the other guy. That is the only big example I've noticed of it being an incomplete game.
Also of note: If you want to change the screen resolution setting, you must first select the Full Screen option, then change the screen resolution, and then click 'Apply' (NOT Accept at the bottom right) to get it to work.
To what extent is this more of a puzzle game than strategy?
Quote from: -budd- on August 20, 2014, 10:17:14 AM
Better not talk it up too much or Rooks will fold 8).
LOL! I do feel my willpower slipping after reading Nefaro's opinion on the game. It does sound like a worthwhile investment already. :)
QuoteI also read some complaining of the difficulty on the steam forums, it sounded like they were of the completionist bent. nothing wrong will a little challenge as long as its fair.
The Let's Play I posted above also remarked on the difficulty of the game. Based on what I saw, I can see where surviving a 10-floor op would be very difficult, something that could make for a frustrating experience if you can never make it to the final floor (this was the concern of the LP narrator above). Question: does every mission require a 10-floor sweep? Or are there ops with smaller buildings?
Also, according to the LP I posted, you can drop inventory items and have another character pick them up, Nefaro. Just FYI.
nothing will make me drop a game quicker then unneeded, unfair difficulty......my gaming life is too short. Unless it hits a decent discount i'll wait.....stay strong Rooks.
Quote from: tgb on August 20, 2014, 03:34:33 PM
To what extent is this more of a puzzle game than strategy?
It's full-on strategy IMO. If the mission maps and opposing stuff were all canned, then yeah it would be more puzzle-like. But they're procedurally generated.
Also.. there generally isn't any one set path you must travel on the missions. You
are pressed for time, though, so don't expect to explore every nook on most missions.
Quote from: RooksBailey on August 20, 2014, 03:57:52 PM
Quote from: -budd- on August 20, 2014, 10:17:14 AM
Better not talk it up too much or Rooks will fold 8).
LOL! I do feel my willpower slipping after reading Nefaro's opinion on the game. It does sound like a worthwhile investment already. :)
QuoteI also read some complaining of the difficulty on the steam forums, it sounded like they were of the completionist bent. nothing wrong will a little challenge as long as its fair.
The Let's Play I posted above also remarked on the difficulty of the game. Based on what I saw, I can see where surviving a 10-floor op would be very difficult, something that could make for a frustrating experience if you can never make it to the final floor (this was the concern of the LP narrator above). Question: does every mission require a 10-floor sweep? Or are there ops with smaller buildings?
All the missions I've done are just a single floor. Was the LP a much advanced 'Sandbox' campaign? The one I posted looked like the guy had proceeded far enough to have gained and unlocked a fair bit of goodies.
I just grab whatever loot I can find up until the Alert Level reaches the point where more guards start spawning in.. then I head for the exit. Hopefully I've found the exit by that point. I imagine the offices get larger (more floors?) the more amount of missions we get under our belt.
QuoteAlso, according to the LP I posted, you can drop inventory items and have another character pick them up, Nefaro. Just FYI.
Thanks. I hadn't tested that theory out yet.
Quote from: -budd- on August 20, 2014, 05:10:10 PM
nothing will make me drop a game quicker then unneeded, unfair difficulty......my gaming life is too short.
Yeah, that goes for me, too. But I suspect the significant difficulty seen in this early access build is probably somewhat due to the need for balancing. The devs have mentioned that they plan to add more gear for your agents to make things easier, so I think it is a safe bet that the difficulty curve will begin to flatten out by release. Oh, they also mentioned that they are going to include some form of "easy mode" around the time the game releases, too.
QuoteUnless it hits a decent discount i'll wait.....stay strong Rooks.
I have to say that I do feel my willpower weakening. The LP Nefaro posted shows a later build than the LP I posted, and the amount of polish added since is really quite nice. I didn't expect such a big difference between the alpha build and the early access build. For example, I see that they added some nice deco to the floors which gives them more of a lived-in feeling. The UI had also been given a lot of attention. I have to say: this early access game is really impressing me. It seems to be the exception to the early access shovelware rule.
Quote from: NefaroAll the missions I've done are just a single floor. Was the LP a much advanced 'Sandbox' campaign?
I don't know. I do know that he was using an alpha build that was earlier than the Early Access build your LP was using. In that earlier LP build, the building had 10 floors, and by the fourth floor the difficulty was getting to be really impossible. I couldn't imagine anybody making it to the 10th floor without a lot of luck!
BTW: nice sig, Nefaro!
Quote from: RooksBailey on August 21, 2014, 12:38:49 AM
BTW: nice sig, Nefaro!
PanzersEast made some for the Steelbeasts players here. They look great, don't they? 8)
As for
Invisible, Inc., I've been very satisfied with my game purchase even in it's current Early Access state. It's quite polished right now, and easily worth the lowly $15.99 it's currently going for. That they're spending the extra months adding more content and tweaking is just icing. :)
Enjoy the game ....Rooks ;D
They've added a couple different difficult options, along with some new content.
Still a blast to play if you like Stealth games but something in a turn-based tactical flavor. O0
Supposed to be finished Early in the coming year, but it's very playable right now.
The game is out in four days! Definitely on my list:
yea i'll probably fold on this one sooner or later......I will probably wait for the early guinea pigs first impressions ;D
Yeah, me too. ;)
I just wish this game had more of a cyberpunk look and less of a '60s James Bond comic book look. It really reminds me more of a turn-based Team Fortress than a cyberpunk game. ;D
Those of us who bought it in Early Access got updated to the release version the other day. It's a lot of fun and highly polished. Thanks to the comic book art style and turn based play, it reminds me of Shadow Watch.
Quote from: -budd- on May 08, 2015, 10:48:47 PM
yea i'll probably fold on this one sooner or later......I will probably wait for the early guinea pigs first impressions ;D
It's awesome. Really enjoyable turn-based stealth missions with some procedural generation & campaign options. O0
And that's just the last time I played it in Early Access months ago. There has been many additions since then, so I wanted to wait until the release settled down to go full bore. My only concern is any bugs introduced in the release update, but the early access was pretty solid from my experience so it shouldn't be an issue for long, if at all.
Nef gives it O0 O0
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/12/invisible-inc-review/#comments
RPS say the best TBS game to come out in years
a successful Wot i Think with none of the usual in joke shite and bizarre, abstract crap they can come out with - just a straight up good review
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 12, 2015, 02:18:17 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/12/invisible-inc-review/#comments
RPS say the best TBS game to come out in years
a successful Wot i Think with none of the usual in joke shite and bizarre, abstract crap they can come out with - just a straight up good review
Good review. Absolutely correct, too.
It's not just tactical X-Com or Shadowrun Returns combat. It's a stealth roguelike with some immensely fun mechanics that keep your thinkmeats engaged. I've had some surprisingly tense moment for a turn-based game. :)
For added incentive 20% off for those who own mark of the ninja....wait a minute....I own that...my will is weakening.
It's a neat little game so far, but xcom it is not. Maybe it opens up later on..
Das started a series:
I recall that the game was originally intended to use the highest difficulty level (being a bit of a roguelike in the classical sense) but they've since added the two lower difficulty levels. I'm not sure the Beginner level will do the gameplay any justice in the long-term since it gives so many "redos".
AngryJoe just did a pair of vids too
Invisible Inc. is my first game purchase of 2015 (new game, not DLC). I have to be honest: the first night I played it I was not thrilled with the experience. I began by doing the "beginner" campaign. Be warned: I found beginner to be very tough! The missions were challenging - very challenging when you get to level 3 infiltrations - and the final mission was impossible for me no matter how many rewinds I took, or how many retries of the entire level. I left the game last night frustrated and disgruntled.
Then I found the campaign editor....
It was brilliant for Klei to include it from the get-go. But for this, I might have shelved the game already. The campaign editor has allowed me to adjust just about everything that was annoying me with the first playthrough. First thing I did was stop the automatically increasing security ticker. I understand the design decision behind this - it makes each mission a tough race against time where minutes on the clock become an actual resource - but I found it just made my beginner's life much too difficult as I would always fall behind the clock, leading to my team soon being surrounded by an army of security personnel and unbreakable firewalls. :knuppel2: So I stopped that to give me some breathing room. But to balance things out, I increased the security response by a factor of 4 (in retrospect, 3 might be better in the future). What this means is that while the security ticker doesn't automatically increase, when it does - due to being spotted or killing a guard - the security level jumps by a factor of four! >:D I like this because I feel it makes for a more "realistic" security response (i.e., when nothing untoward is happening, security is just marking time. But once a breach is detected, or a guard goes down, security response escalates quickly. For example, a killed guard is enough to make the security ticker jump almost two levels!). Also to make things a bit more realistic, I made the security meter jump whenever a guard is KOed (again, seems more realistic to me in a world where everybody's vitals are wired into the system). All in all, these two changes seem to balance out nicely, allowing me to take my time and explore the map, but also seeing to it that my team will be quickly punished if we screw up by being detected or by being too aggressive. I also made the campaign more interesting by making sure that unseen security is not betrayed by their sight cone. This bit of FoW had made things a lot more fun by making it more likely for my guys to accidentally get caught on camera or spotted by a guard. :-[ Lastly, I increased the map size from 10 to 12 rooms - 10 felt a bit too small to me, but 12 feels just right.
The net effect of all these changes is that now I basically have a turn-based Deus Ex! :) NOW I am enjoying the game a lot more. The ending might still be too tough for me to handle - I'll let you know when I get there - but the meat of the game feels better balanced to me. That is the great thing about including this editor: the game can be just what you want it to be.
I hope we get some DLC with this game. Truth be told, it already is a tight game, but I would like the campaign to be expanded a bit. Right now it feels like a rudimentary FTL-esque campaign where you grind in preparation for the final showdown. I would like something a bit more complex than that.
Anyway, these are my initial thoughts. No regrets for the purchase now. :)
Quote from: RooksBailey on May 21, 2015, 01:55:09 AM
Then I found the campaign editor....
I had no idea there was a campaign editor. I have been enjoying the game though. What I've been doing is getting out about as soon as I find the exit. This has sort of worked. The team has gotten better even if the company is not doing so well. And the boss is quite upset with us, saying things like, "Did you even try to find the XYZ? Why break into a complex and fiddle with stuff and then run away?"
And I'm like, hey, is there an answer button here or something or are these fantastically rhetorical questions?
I saw this on AngryJoe's channel and watched both his videos and think this looks all kinds of awesome. And I generally hate stealth-type games, but for some reason, in a futuristic/tech kind of world, I enjoy that sort of thing.
I was afraid to buy it, though, because it looked like it would get hellishly tough very quickly, and the last thing I want to do is buy a game that ramps up difficulty to levels that piss me off and make me hate playing it.
Quote from: RooksBailey on May 21, 2015, 01:55:09 AM
Then I found the campaign editor....
The net effect of all these changes is that now I basically have a turn-based Deus Ex! :)
Glad you posted this, and very good to know it's all editable. This will probably push this game into my inventory in the next month or so without having to worry about ridiculous difficulty making it frustrating. I'll still try it without, but if it gives me lip, I'll give it my pimp-editor.
Quote from: MengJiao on May 21, 2015, 11:17:28 AM
Quote from: RooksBailey on May 21, 2015, 01:55:09 AM
Then I found the campaign editor....
I had no idea there was a campaign editor. I have been enjoying the game though. What I've been doing is getting out about as soon as I find the exit. This has sort of worked. The team has gotten better even if the company is not doing so well. And the boss is quite upset with us, saying things like, "Did you even try to find the XYZ? Why break into a complex and fiddle with stuff and then run away?"
And I'm like, hey, is there an answer button here or something or are these fantastically rhetorical questions?
LOL! Yeah, I've gotten a bunch of that as well. :) I do intend to go back to the stock mode with the automatic increases to the security ticker - the pressure can be fun - but I am glad I disabled it as now I can get more comfortable with the gameplay without the pressure or the sarcasm from our dear leader.
Quote from: Banzai_CatI saw this on AngryJoe's channel and watched both his videos and think this looks all kinds of awesome. And I generally hate stealth-type games, but for some reason, in a futuristic/tech kind of world, I enjoy that sort of thing.
Same for me. For me, these cyberpunk games are proving very addictive - really, it has become my preferred genre. Cyberpunk games are to me now what Cold War games were to me in the '80s. They just seem really relevant and almost ripped from the headlines. In an age of hack-tivism, industrial espionage, the merging of hardware and flesh, and even PMCs, cyberpunk is now more reality than fiction.
QuoteI was afraid to buy it, though, because it looked like it would get hellishly tough very quickly, and the last thing I want to do is buy a game that ramps up difficulty to levels that piss me off and make me hate playing it.
Glad you posted this, and very good to know it's all editable. This will probably push this game into my inventory in the next month or so without having to worry about ridiculous difficulty making it frustrating. I'll still try it without, but if it gives me lip, I'll give it my pimp-editor.
I did find my first run to be very tough - surprisingly so for a beginner level - but that could just be because I screwed up with my earlier missions or the randomized loot just hated me (I never found any armor piecing weapons but for a single Level 2 tazer!). Being able to make a custom campaign really changed things in a positive way for me. Really, the campaign editor is almost a game in itself. There is a nice selection of tweakable settings that can result in some interesting and unpredictable gameplay.
I also like that even when you abandon a campaign, you still get experience points to unlock new agents. The game doesn't even punish you for admitting defeat. :)
The only complaints I've seen about it, in the past, were regarding the difficulty.
I enjoy the challenge & permadeath in roguelike turn-based games with a lot of procedural stuff so it's not too repetitive. It's not for everyone.
There are roguelikes with more content depth out there, but this one is rather unusual with it's specific style of stealth strategy. You have to think ahead multiple turns and form a very different strategy compared to other turn-based games. Things will get difficult quick if you're just moving to cover and shooting everything, as in the typical tactical game. That's why I enjoy this one; it requires different & more difficult strategy.
Angry Joe was getting quite giddy with his excitement in how the game was kicking his and Other Joe's asses. I could see myself rage quitting over some of that stuff. If I feel like I'm getting pummeled and have zero chance to fight back, that's not fun to me.
I really like that this is procedural. That's a huge plus, too.
Dev update! Some good stuff coming our way! O0
QuoteHello everyone!
*Phew*, that was a wild ride, getting this game out. I can say without a doubt that Invisible, Inc. was our hardest design challenge yet. When we built Invisible, we had a vision of what the game would be: a tight, all killer, no filler spy thriller where every action mattered, and every decision could be your last. We spent years developing this concept, and putting it through the ringer in Early Access. We've now officially launched, and we're relieved that players are enjoying it.
So, what have we been doing since launch? First, we've been keeping track of all the bugs and suggestions that have been posted, as well as our automated error reporter, which tells us when something goes wrong, even when players might not see the issues themselves (for example, if an animation is missing for a few frames). Since we launched, we've put out a half dozen hot fixes.
We think we've caught the majority of the bugs (though of course, there will always be more to be squashed), and we're now looking into the future. This is what we're working on:
Free Content!
We're already working on a free update to the game for all you wonderful people. Our first free content update will include some sweet new programs to play with. You can see a sneak peek, up above.
We are working on a good half dozen programs, and we'll introduce them over time as they are ready. We'd also like to dive a bit deeper on another game mode, and we're throwing around a few ideas here. They're a lot of work, but we also feel they create a lot of replayability.
New Agent Pack
One of the best things about Invisible is how much a new starting suite can change your play style. Whether you're packing Central with Faust, or dual wielding with Nika, new agents can greatly affect your trajectory. We're looking into new Agent DLC pack, featuring agents from the now defunct Pan-Euro Infosec Agency. We think adding to the roster is not only great for the game, it also gives us more ways to delve into their backstory. We haven't worked out the details or pricing for this yet, but we'd love to hear your feedback.
We launched this game into Alpha in early 2014, Early Access in the Fall of 2014, and now we've officially launched, but that doesn't mean we're done supporting the game.
Thank you once again for sticking with us!
Quote from: RooksBailey on May 23, 2015, 10:10:59 PM
Dev update! Some good stuff coming our way! O0
QuoteHello everyone!
*Phew*, that was a wild ride, getting this game out. I can say without a doubt that Invisible, Inc. was our hardest design challenge yet. When we built Invisible, we had a vision of what the game would be: a tight, all killer, no filler spy thriller where every action mattered, and every decision could be your last. We spent years developing this concept, and putting it through the ringer in Early Access. We've now officially launched, and we're relieved that players are enjoying it.
So, what have we been doing since launch? First, we've been keeping track of all the bugs and suggestions that have been posted, as well as our automated error reporter, which tells us when something goes wrong, even when players might not see the issues themselves (for example, if an animation is missing for a few frames). Since we launched, we've put out a half dozen hot fixes.
We think we've caught the majority of the bugs (though of course, there will always be more to be squashed), and we're now looking into the future. This is what we're working on:
Free Content!
We're already working on a free update to the game for all you wonderful people. Our first free content update will include some sweet new programs to play with. You can see a sneak peek, up above.
We are working on a good half dozen programs, and we'll introduce them over time as they are ready. We'd also like to dive a bit deeper on another game mode, and we're throwing around a few ideas here. They're a lot of work, but we also feel they create a lot of replayability.
New Agent Pack
One of the best things about Invisible is how much a new starting suite can change your play style. Whether you're packing Central with Faust, or dual wielding with Nika, new agents can greatly affect your trajectory. We're looking into new Agent DLC pack, featuring agents from the now defunct Pan-Euro Infosec Agency. We think adding to the roster is not only great for the game, it also gives us more ways to delve into their backstory. We haven't worked out the details or pricing for this yet, but we'd love to hear your feedback.
We launched this game into Alpha in early 2014, Early Access in the Fall of 2014, and now we've officially launched, but that doesn't mean we're done supporting the game.
Thank you once again for sticking with us!
Sounds enticing. Last night I gave up on an agency, but the game released two new agents and let me try the base again. I had been doing well, but drones were slowly closing in and I could not see a way out. But now I'm re-trying with a new procedurally-generated place to infiltrate.
Quote from: MengJiao on May 28, 2015, 01:59:58 PM
Sounds enticing. Last night I gave up on an agency, but the game released two new agents and let me try the base again. I had been doing well, but drones were slowly closing in and I could not see a way out. But now I'm re-trying with a new procedurally-generated place to infiltrate.
I haven't been playing it much but the last time I did play I found myself in a tough spot (again, using my own modded rules in the editor). We had to heist an executive's brain to get a security code for a later vault heist (I wish the game had more connected missions like this!). Well, after we got the code, it tripped an alarm, spawning a bunch of security. Due to the layout of the building, my two man team was basically trapped behind enemy lines. Fortunately, we had Shalem (sp?), his sniper rifle, and two packs of ammo. >:D We tore through the security, leaving bodies as we went, and pinning the security meter at a maxed-out Level 6! :2funny: That was epic.
Afterwards, I realized that that is what Invisible Inc needs more of: combat. Not saying I want it to become a tactical wargame like Frozen Synapse or Shadowrun, but just that outright combat missions should be part of the available mission selections for those who want to go loud for a change of pace.
I have played this game last year and did'nt like it much, don'nt have any strong reason but definitely it was not my cup of tea.
Quote from: RooksBailey on May 28, 2015, 09:00:55 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on May 28, 2015, 01:59:58 PM
Sounds enticing. Last night I gave up on an agency, but the game released two new agents and let me try the base again. I had been doing well, but drones were slowly closing in and I could not see a way out. But now I'm re-trying with a new procedurally-generated place to infiltrate.
I haven't been playing it much but the last time I did play I found myself in a tough spot (again, using my own modded rules in the editor). We had to heist an executive's brain to get a security code for a later vault heist (I wish the game had more connected missions like this!). Well, after we got the code, it tripped an alarm, spawning a bunch of security. Due to the layout of the building, my two man team was basically trapped behind enemy lines. Fortunately, we had Shalem (sp?), his sniper rifle, and two packs of ammo. >:D We tore through the security, leaving bodies as we went, and pinning the security meter at a maxed-out Level 6! :2funny: That was epic.
Afterwards, I realized that that is what Invisible Inc needs more of: combat. Not saying I want it to become a tactical wargame like Frozen Synapse or Shadowrun, but just that outright combat missions should be part of the available mission selections for those who want to go loud for a change of pace.
Dunno which characters you're using but don't forget their abilities. The first guy's 1-turn invisibility cloak can be a huge advantage when you're in a bad spot. Pop the invis, run him past the guards to a nearby door and slam it shut to distract them. Or tazer/shoot one to open a path for anyone else. There are often numerous strategies to approach any turn's situation, barring the worst.
I tend to get more conflict with the release version than the older Early Access versions I had previously played. I enjoy this thing just because it requires very different strategies than all the tactical combat games. I suppose the focus on being sneaky is the reason some people don't like it so much?
Quote from: RooksBailey on May 28, 2015, 09:00:55 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on May 28, 2015, 01:59:58 PM
Sounds enticing. Last night I gave up on an agency, but the game released two new agents and let me try the base again. I had been doing well, but drones were slowly closing in and I could not see a way out. But now I'm re-trying with a new procedurally-generated place to infiltrate.
I haven't been playing it much but the last time I did play I found myself in a tough spot (again, using my own modded rules in the editor). We had to heist an executive's brain to get a security code for a later vault heist (I wish the game had more connected missions like this!). Well, after we got the code, it tripped an alarm, spawning a bunch of security. Due to the layout of the building, my two man team was basically trapped behind enemy lines. Fortunately, we had Shalem (sp?), his sniper rifle, and two packs of ammo. >:D We tore through the security, leaving bodies as we went, and pinning the security meter at a maxed-out Level 6! :2funny: That was epic.
Afterwards, I realized that that is what Invisible Inc needs more of: combat. Not saying I want it to become a tactical wargame like Frozen Synapse or Shadowrun, but just that outright combat missions should be part of the available mission selections for those who want to go loud for a change of pace.
Even with just the EMP bomb and the tazers and the tranquilizers, I treat it as a combat game (positioning to ambush guards etc), but my early game gear is pretty poor against drones (just EMP and mainframe overrides). So I may just get out on this mission rather than battle the drones.
Quote from: -budd- on August 20, 2014, 01:44:28 AM
looking forward to your opinion on the game.
RPS has it as "Game of the Month"...Last month they had two games of the month: GTAV and something else.
Quote from: Nefaro on May 29, 2015, 07:08:16 AM
I tend to get more conflict with the release version than the older Early Access versions I had previously played. I enjoy this thing just because it requires very different strategies than all the tactical combat games. I suppose the focus on being sneaky is the reason some people don't like it so much?
The thinking the game requires can be a bit twisted at times. You have to have your eyes on 3-4 critical things and 3-4 probably problematic things at once. Plus the defenders and topologies are not only ever-changing, but change even within a mission (scanners, barriers, demons etc.). I've learned to be pretty flexible and to just get out fast when things go from chancy to not so good.
Quote from: MengJiao on June 08, 2015, 09:44:16 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 29, 2015, 07:08:16 AM
I tend to get more conflict with the release version than the older Early Access versions I had previously played. I enjoy this thing just because it requires very different strategies than all the tactical combat games. I suppose the focus on being sneaky is the reason some people don't like it so much?
The thinking the game requires can be a bit twisted at times. You have to have your eyes on 3-4 critical things and 3-4 probably problematic things at once. Plus the defenders and topologies are not only ever-changing, but change even within a mission (scanners, barriers, demons etc.). I've learned to be pretty flexible and to just get out fast when things go from chancy to not so good.
Yeah. Get out quick when things turn sour... if you've found the exit!
Still can be very challenging since the more direct conflict you commit, the faster the difficulty ramps up.
Quote from: Nefaro on June 08, 2015, 07:04:29 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on June 08, 2015, 09:44:16 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 29, 2015, 07:08:16 AM
I tend to get more conflict with the release version than the older Early Access versions I had previously played. I enjoy this thing just because it requires very different strategies than all the tactical combat games. I suppose the focus on being sneaky is the reason some people don't like it so much?
The thinking the game requires can be a bit twisted at times. You have to have your eyes on 3-4 critical things and 3-4 probably problematic things at once. Plus the defenders and topologies are not only ever-changing, but change even within a mission (scanners, barriers, demons etc.). I've learned to be pretty flexible and to just get out fast when things go from chancy to not so good.
Yeah. Get out quick when things turn sour... if you've found the exit!
Still can be very challenging since the more direct conflict you commit, the faster the difficulty ramps up.
I had a great round of the game last night. It was supposedly pretty routine, but the defenders had a scanner and some events "changed the guard cycle"...I had Internationale with a tranqualizer gun and Smedly (not his real name) with some good stuff, so I wasn't too worried until I had to deal with 3 guards in 2 turns and all the cool-downs were cooling down. I had to rewind and change my tranq-gun timing etc. AND then I guard shows up in a geodesic dome and super armor and it was time to run. I got the goods and some neato stuff and got out. Very satisfying, though without the rewind, Smedly would have been dead.
Update today:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/243970/announcements/detail/61148642030933158
QuoteUpdate 11: Fresh Code
The update is live! The official update notes are below. There are a few extra items since the post on the weekend.
In order to save the progress of missions in older saves, some of the update features will not apply until after the current mission is complete. Any new mission started after the update will have all the features.
Items marked with a * will apply to missions started before the update.
New Features
2 new starting programs to unlock.
8 new programs to find and buy at server terminals.
Kevin's expanded agent banter added[forums.kleientertainment.com].
New versions of the location maps:
new Vault
new CEO office
new Detention Center
new Guard Dispatch
new Server Farm
new Nanofab Vestibule
new Cyberlab (special!)
New starting room variations
Open single door hotkey - default is F. *
Armor icon and stat always visible on guards. *
Item requirements always show. *
CTRL click for right click on MAC enabled. *
Tooltip on guards searched and expertly searched by an agent with Anarchy 5. *
Augment grafter panel improved. *
Balance Changes
Felix daemon has been changed.
Cloak Rig III has been changed.
Bug fixes
Guards insta killing KO agents when they wake up is fixed.
KO resistance will modify all KO effects like shocktaps and flash grenades
Fixed blocked peeking in an obscure case. *
Blinking rewind button no longer pauses gameplay. *
Time attack mode will now also unlock Expert level achievements. *
Holocircuit Overloaders do not make a noise that will alert guards.
Modded plastech guard spawn rate bug fixed
Endless key card exploit removed
Central can now pick up the final mission item ( for when she starts with a full inventory).*
Anatomy Analysis will not activate on disabled heart monitors.
A Prisoner or Courier can abandon an agent in the field as long as at least one agent has escaped beforehand. *
Items killed while parasited will release the parasite.
Fusion shows the right tooltips and operates as described.
Also, Sharp and Prism now have their alternate starting versions like the other agents. Sharp's alt lines up with the other agents as he comes with the standard Neural Disrupter and augment combo. His new augment is similar yet different than his standard one. Prism on the other hand changes the formula up more radically with her Holo Projection Mesh. She doesn't start with a weapon, but this item unique to Prism allows her to put on a guard disguise. As some have suggestion, disguise is a lot like invisibility, but it has it's own brand of perks and drawbacks that make it it's own thing.
That is quite a meaty update! Nice.
Also, looks like the DLC plans have been expanded and, hence, delayed:
QuoteDLC News
Previously we had said there would be a small PEIA (Pan Euro Infosec Agency) DLC. It was going be several new agents that Central worked with during her time in that organization. We've been listening to the comments on the forum and on Steam and the overwhelming desire is to see more of the campaign. So we've decided to expand the DLC's scope.
Along with the previously mentioned PEIA agents, this new larger "Contingency Plan" DLC will extend the time of the campaign as well as new programs and gear for the agents and new security for the corps. New guards, Daemons and other complications.
We will also be looking into the possibility of new game modes as well as extending the life of Endless Mode further than day 10. "Contingency Plan" will be coming out in the Fall.
Sounds good!
I just started a new campaign and had a devil of a mission where my two agents were out to steal a vault keycard. Even though the map wasn't that big, we had a heck of a time getting out. Extracting the info from the knocked out exec is a big time sink that really put one of my agents in a tight spot. There were three guards patrolling the office at one point with my agent hiding behind a sofa! ;D Fortunately, the office layout kept the guards looking away from me and the body of the exec. I should have captured a video of that mission because it was so darn intense. We didn't exfiltrate until Security Level 6 was reached(!) and there was a virtual army of guards running around. Without Decker's cloak and newly purchased tranq rifle, the mission probably would have failed. Somehow we made it out without being caught once! That was they type of mission that makes me want to watch
The Usual Suspects and/or
The Asphalt Jungle again. 8)
It's also 40% off this weekend.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/243970/
O0