GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: republic on September 25, 2014, 11:50:04 AM

Title: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: republic on September 25, 2014, 11:50:04 AM
Just got this email today:  http://www.shrapnelgames.com/email/ProSIM_Hurry_2014.html (http://www.shrapnelgames.com/email/ProSIM_Hurry_2014.html)


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shrapnelgames.com%2Femail%2Fimages%2FComing_Soon.gif&hash=d2ba2d6f7f42613b136ffad8dfbe255ace0dcfe4)

"A strategic sci-fi adventure in an ever-expanding universe full of combat, quests, and loot!"



I'm a sucker for space games!
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: Tpek on September 25, 2014, 12:05:04 PM
Haven't heard from Shrapnel for years now, ever since Illwinter started distributing via Steam.
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2014, 12:26:40 PM
Awesome. The game will be released looking like its 20 years old and costing $39.95.  Then, 20 years from its release it will still cost $39.95. Gotta love Shrapnel.
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on September 25, 2014, 12:29:42 PM
.
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2014, 04:26:23 PM
Quote from: eyebiter on September 25, 2014, 12:29:42 PM
With Shrapnel it's best to wait until the game is released before you purchase.

Shrapnel Games webstore STILL taking preorders for 82nd...
http://www.gamersfront.com/store/all-american-the-82nd-airborne-in-normandy.html

The graphic in the upper right hand side of the promo pic is a customer who died waiting for the release of 82nd.
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 25, 2014, 04:31:07 PM
They've got a freakin' website from 20 years ago too. What's with the tiny pictures on the product pages with no clickable larger size??  :uglystupid2:
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 25, 2014, 04:37:38 PM
They've not changed in the 10 years I've known of them. Same relatively amateurish games. Good ideas at times (I did like BCT Commander), but sloppy execution using archaic UIs generally.
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: smittyohio on September 25, 2014, 04:56:42 PM
Enlarging those pics a little but, I'd say it's an insult to games 20 years old to be lumped in with this one.   This looks like it's from the late 80s.
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: bbmike on September 25, 2014, 04:59:12 PM
Their last game, World Supremacy (http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Malfador_Machinations/WS/WS_page.html), wasn't...well...really all that supreme.
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: Tpek on September 25, 2014, 05:24:08 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2014, 04:26:23 PM
Quote from: eyebiter on September 25, 2014, 12:29:42 PM
With Shrapnel it's best to wait until the game is released before you purchase.

Shrapnel Games webstore STILL taking preorders for 82nd...
http://www.gamersfront.com/store/all-american-the-82nd-airborne-in-normandy.html

The graphic in the upper right hand side of the promo pic is a customer who died waiting for the release of 82nd.

;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: DennisS on September 25, 2014, 06:44:50 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2014, 12:26:40 PM
Awesome. The game will be released looking like its 20 years old and costing $39.95.  Then, 20 years from its release it will still cost $39.95. Gotta love Shrapnel.

You are dead on accurate. Crazyiest pricing I have ever seen for $5 games.
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: DennisS on September 25, 2014, 06:46:13 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2014, 04:26:23 PM
Quote from: eyebiter on September 25, 2014, 12:29:42 PM
With Shrapnel it's best to wait until the game is released before you purchase.

Shrapnel Games webstore STILL taking preorders for 82nd...
http://www.gamersfront.com/store/all-american-the-82nd-airborne-in-normandy.html

The graphic in the upper right hand side of the promo pic is a customer who died waiting for the release of 82nd.

Dunno if my PC can handle it. Requires 32 MB of RAM.

Oh wait...MEGABYTE.
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: LongBlade on September 25, 2014, 08:33:35 PM
Quote from: Tpek on September 25, 2014, 12:05:04 PM
Haven't heard from Shrapnel for years now, ever since Illwinter started distributing via Steam.

I figured their next announcement was to shutter. Pleased to see they are coming out with something new.
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: panzerde on September 25, 2014, 08:43:27 PM
I have a couple of the ProSim games and they aren't bad. Not worth $40, but playable. They can be buggy as hell if you install them on top of each other as recommended, I've found.

I'm not really sure how these guys keep going, other than that at this point their costs have to be low. There's not much going on with the web site and they aren't paying for development. I'd love to see Pat Proctor take his games and refine them into something more, but I think that ship has sailed.

What I will say in Pat's favor is that he supports his stuff even today: I had a crashing issue with one of his games, set an email to support and received email back from Pat while he was deployed in Afghanistan. He was probably bored out of his skull but I appreciated that he took the time.
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 25, 2014, 08:45:20 PM
Proctor...he did BCT Commander, right?

I met him at Origins in, man, it must have been 2003 when I was covering it for Wargamer. I interviewed him and another dev and talked to the owner of Shrapnel, too.
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: panzerde on September 25, 2014, 08:56:15 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 25, 2014, 08:45:20 PM
Proctor...he did BCT Commander, right?

Correct. ProSim is his wargame company. I've only ever traded email with him.
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 25, 2014, 08:58:47 PM
Yeah, I remember him being a really nice guy and really REALLY passionate about his game. Something that the other devs with Shrapnel didn't strike a chord with me on.
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: FarAway Sooner on September 25, 2014, 09:30:18 PM
Quote from: republic on September 25, 2014, 11:50:04 AM
Just got this email today:  http://www.shrapnelgames.com/email/ProSIM_Hurry_2014.html (http://www.shrapnelgames.com/email/ProSIM_Hurry_2014.html)


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shrapnelgames.com%2Femail%2Fimages%2FComing_Soon.gif&hash=d2ba2d6f7f42613b136ffad8dfbe255ace0dcfe4)


That almost looked like a computer game mock-up of Space Battleship Yamato or, as some of you may know it, Star Blazers.   ;D
Title: Re: New Space game from Shrapnel
Post by: LongBlade on September 25, 2014, 10:28:35 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 25, 2014, 08:45:20 PM
Proctor...he did BCT Commander, right?

Yup. If anyone was going to make a game for Shrapnel it's him. He's very loyal.

I just hope Shrapnel's up to the task.