New Space game from Shrapnel

Started by republic, September 25, 2014, 11:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

republic

Just got this email today:  http://www.shrapnelgames.com/email/ProSIM_Hurry_2014.html




"A strategic sci-fi adventure in an ever-expanding universe full of combat, quests, and loot!"



I'm a sucker for space games!

Tpek

Haven't heard from Shrapnel for years now, ever since Illwinter started distributing via Steam.

Jarhead0331

Awesome. The game will be released looking like its 20 years old and costing $39.95.  Then, 20 years from its release it will still cost $39.95. Gotta love Shrapnel.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


eyebiter

.
#3
.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: eyebiter on September 25, 2014, 12:29:42 PM
With Shrapnel it's best to wait until the game is released before you purchase.

Shrapnel Games webstore STILL taking preorders for 82nd...
http://www.gamersfront.com/store/all-american-the-82nd-airborne-in-normandy.html

The graphic in the upper right hand side of the promo pic is a customer who died waiting for the release of 82nd.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

They've got a freakin' website from 20 years ago too. What's with the tiny pictures on the product pages with no clickable larger size??  :uglystupid2:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

BanzaiCat

They've not changed in the 10 years I've known of them. Same relatively amateurish games. Good ideas at times (I did like BCT Commander), but sloppy execution using archaic UIs generally.

smittyohio

Enlarging those pics a little but, I'd say it's an insult to games 20 years old to be lumped in with this one.   This looks like it's from the late 80s.

bbmike

Their last game, World Supremacy, wasn't...well...really all that supreme.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2014, 04:26:23 PM
Quote from: eyebiter on September 25, 2014, 12:29:42 PM
With Shrapnel it's best to wait until the game is released before you purchase.

Shrapnel Games webstore STILL taking preorders for 82nd...
http://www.gamersfront.com/store/all-american-the-82nd-airborne-in-normandy.html

The graphic in the upper right hand side of the promo pic is a customer who died waiting for the release of 82nd.

;D ;D ;D

DennisS

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2014, 12:26:40 PM
Awesome. The game will be released looking like its 20 years old and costing $39.95.  Then, 20 years from its release it will still cost $39.95. Gotta love Shrapnel.

You are dead on accurate. Crazyiest pricing I have ever seen for $5 games.

DennisS

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2014, 04:26:23 PM
Quote from: eyebiter on September 25, 2014, 12:29:42 PM
With Shrapnel it's best to wait until the game is released before you purchase.

Shrapnel Games webstore STILL taking preorders for 82nd...
http://www.gamersfront.com/store/all-american-the-82nd-airborne-in-normandy.html

The graphic in the upper right hand side of the promo pic is a customer who died waiting for the release of 82nd.

Dunno if my PC can handle it. Requires 32 MB of RAM.

Oh wait...MEGABYTE.

LongBlade

Quote from: Tpek on September 25, 2014, 12:05:04 PM
Haven't heard from Shrapnel for years now, ever since Illwinter started distributing via Steam.

I figured their next announcement was to shutter. Pleased to see they are coming out with something new.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

panzerde

I have a couple of the ProSim games and they aren't bad. Not worth $40, but playable. They can be buggy as hell if you install them on top of each other as recommended, I've found.

I'm not really sure how these guys keep going, other than that at this point their costs have to be low. There's not much going on with the web site and they aren't paying for development. I'd love to see Pat Proctor take his games and refine them into something more, but I think that ship has sailed.

What I will say in Pat's favor is that he supports his stuff even today: I had a crashing issue with one of his games, set an email to support and received email back from Pat while he was deployed in Afghanistan. He was probably bored out of his skull but I appreciated that he took the time.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

BanzaiCat

Proctor...he did BCT Commander, right?

I met him at Origins in, man, it must have been 2003 when I was covering it for Wargamer. I interviewed him and another dev and talked to the owner of Shrapnel, too.