GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Double Deuce on October 11, 2014, 09:42:14 AM

Title: New forum game?
Post by: Double Deuce on October 11, 2014, 09:42:14 AM
Ok, I have been bandying about running some type of forum game over here but have too many ideas to decide myself. I am leaning toward a PC Game for the base game engine, something like FlashPoint Campaigns or maybe even one of the Combat Mission games. For the last one, I only have CMBN and CMSF (and their addons) and honestly I am really, really rusty with them so I would probably need some time to get back up to speed before anything could kick off.

Some things to consider . . .

1. How much level of detail do players want to have? Commanding an individual vehicle or squad or section/platoon?

2. Chain of Command  - Most games will require some level of this where someone needs to be in charge of the team/group or at least be responsible for overall planning. In my years of trying to do this I found its like pulling teeth to get someone to step up in theis role. Depending on the game format this is a critical position that unless filled, will result in the games failure, it just might take a few turns to get there.

3. Team vs team or team vs AI (the system)?

The other option I would consider is going with a board game using VASSAL (yes I know this is the PC games section but didn't want to spam several forum sections).  I am open to pretty much any game, but of course I need to have it so I am at least familiar enough to get a start. The same issues mentioned above would still apply, game scale, chain of command, etc.

I am not planning to have players own the game or to input orders directly into the game before processing (such as passing around a save game file) although I am open to that if the majority prefer it.

Thoughts, ideas?
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on October 11, 2014, 10:43:50 AM
it would seem something with the Rome 2 game might work considering how many people play it.  a map with a crap ton of provinces would be needed and sides selected.  control of each province is a 1v1 or team v team single battle.  there would be no economy involved though there could be some diplomacy and back room deals going on.
someone would have to spend a chunck of time organizing the battles and updating the campaign map.
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: Ubercat on October 11, 2014, 11:22:10 AM
If you DO go with a game that requires passing a save file around, Dropbox makes it a lot easier than juggling Email attachments.
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: Double Deuce on October 11, 2014, 11:58:45 AM
Yeah, just thinking a game where the main file gets passed around through multiple players might be more trouble than its worth. A long delay among any of them in the transfer process will kill game momentum and people will lose interest pretty quick.

I can manage the overall game map and update OOB's but Rome 2 is not a game I have so that one is probably out.

I like the ideas that were being discussed in CMRT GROGHEAD MULTIPLAYER PLANNING THREAD (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11028.0) but I don't have CMRT or a machine that will currently handle it even if I did get it. Maybe something similar using CMBN?

Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 11, 2014, 12:15:21 PM
What Double Deuce had in mind was a game where the players make decisions in a team together and he just operates the game and gives the feedback to everyone like a GM
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: Double Deuce on October 11, 2014, 12:35:15 PM
I was thinking something similar to the Modern Kriegspiel Forum game (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149004) I am running over at ACG. It's being run as a team vs AI game where all the players are cooperating on one side and the game engine runs the OPFOR.

It does have some limitations in that players cannot micromanage their units into a specific grid on the map or pick individual targets for each vehicle to fire at like some want to do.

I had thought about something like the above but using CMBN but the same limitations would apply. I would also need to create a map from real topo maps I have for players to "plan" from/reference and that would be pretty time consuming.


Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on October 11, 2014, 12:40:09 PM
If theres 1 file that gets passed around it should be named Gus.
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: Nefaro on October 11, 2014, 02:45:13 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 11, 2014, 12:40:09 PM
If theres 1 file that gets passed around it should be named Gus.

I hope your computers have serious virus protection, in that case.
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on October 11, 2014, 04:16:11 PM
I have it covered in a MOPP4 suit.
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 11, 2014, 05:12:27 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 11, 2014, 02:45:13 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 11, 2014, 12:40:09 PM
If theres 1 file that gets passed around it should be named Gus.

I hope your computers have serious virus protection, in that case.

As long as you're upstream from Starfury in the rotation, you're probably fine.  It's you're right after him, you likely need antibiotics, a tetanus shot, and trip to the dry-cleaners.
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on October 11, 2014, 05:14:15 PM
<---- points to Mirth.  ::)
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: mirth on October 12, 2014, 06:30:15 PM
If you can survive an "experience" with Star, Ebola offers no threat.
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: mirth on October 12, 2014, 06:33:15 PM
To the OP, I like the idea and I'd be interested in FPC or maybe a VASSAL game.
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: Tinkershuffle on October 13, 2014, 08:32:23 AM
Sounds great, if you/we choose FCRS then I'd love to participate.
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: Double Deuce on October 13, 2014, 11:32:24 PM
I've actually been leaning towards using FCRS. Perhaps having the players all on one side leading a reinforced MRB against NATO forces (run by the AI).

Planning and orders will take place using an actual topo map (if I can find my hard copies and match one to an existing FCRS map). I will use FCRS to input and resolve the orders given by each player. Basically a sort of Kriegsspiel but using FCRS for the underlying game engine.

I figure I will need 6-10 players, the MRB commander, 4 line company commanders and then some other commanders for the support units (air, artillery, regimental recon).
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: Barthheart on October 14, 2014, 07:14:32 AM
^This is a great idea! And very much like the Staff Wargaming Grogheads ran at Origins this year. Lots of fun.

Count me in.
O0
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: Double Deuce on October 15, 2014, 08:51:06 AM
Working out some of the kinks so this game plays more smoothly at the tactical level (where players are commanding individual tank motor-rifle companies) than the game I'm trying to run now. There will be some limits due to the engine but should still work. Will post more once I find my maps and match it to an existing FCRS map.

Then I'll put out a call for players.
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 15, 2014, 08:52:58 AM
Quote from: Double Deuce on October 15, 2014, 08:51:06 AMWill post more once I find my maps and match it to an existing FCRS map.

Ping Cap'n Darwin directly. He may take a day or so to get back to you b/c of some family things going on, but give him a shout
Title: Re: New forum game?
Post by: Double Deuce on October 15, 2014, 09:08:30 AM
BB, I will do that, thanks.