Main Menu

New forum game?

Started by Double Deuce, October 11, 2014, 09:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Double Deuce

Ok, I have been bandying about running some type of forum game over here but have too many ideas to decide myself. I am leaning toward a PC Game for the base game engine, something like FlashPoint Campaigns or maybe even one of the Combat Mission games. For the last one, I only have CMBN and CMSF (and their addons) and honestly I am really, really rusty with them so I would probably need some time to get back up to speed before anything could kick off.

Some things to consider . . .

1. How much level of detail do players want to have? Commanding an individual vehicle or squad or section/platoon?

2. Chain of Command  - Most games will require some level of this where someone needs to be in charge of the team/group or at least be responsible for overall planning. In my years of trying to do this I found its like pulling teeth to get someone to step up in theis role. Depending on the game format this is a critical position that unless filled, will result in the games failure, it just might take a few turns to get there.

3. Team vs team or team vs AI (the system)?

The other option I would consider is going with a board game using VASSAL (yes I know this is the PC games section but didn't want to spam several forum sections).  I am open to pretty much any game, but of course I need to have it so I am at least familiar enough to get a start. The same issues mentioned above would still apply, game scale, chain of command, etc.

I am not planning to have players own the game or to input orders directly into the game before processing (such as passing around a save game file) although I am open to that if the majority prefer it.

Thoughts, ideas?

GDS_Starfury

it would seem something with the Rome 2 game might work considering how many people play it.  a map with a crap ton of provinces would be needed and sides selected.  control of each province is a 1v1 or team v team single battle.  there would be no economy involved though there could be some diplomacy and back room deals going on.
someone would have to spend a chunck of time organizing the battles and updating the campaign map.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Ubercat

If you DO go with a game that requires passing a save file around, Dropbox makes it a lot easier than juggling Email attachments.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Double Deuce

Yeah, just thinking a game where the main file gets passed around through multiple players might be more trouble than its worth. A long delay among any of them in the transfer process will kill game momentum and people will lose interest pretty quick.

I can manage the overall game map and update OOB's but Rome 2 is not a game I have so that one is probably out.

I like the ideas that were being discussed in CMRT GROGHEAD MULTIPLAYER PLANNING THREAD but I don't have CMRT or a machine that will currently handle it even if I did get it. Maybe something similar using CMBN?


bayonetbrant

What Double Deuce had in mind was a game where the players make decisions in a team together and he just operates the game and gives the feedback to everyone like a GM
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Double Deuce

#5
I was thinking something similar to the Modern Kriegspiel Forum game I am running over at ACG. It's being run as a team vs AI game where all the players are cooperating on one side and the game engine runs the OPFOR.

It does have some limitations in that players cannot micromanage their units into a specific grid on the map or pick individual targets for each vehicle to fire at like some want to do.

I had thought about something like the above but using CMBN but the same limitations would apply. I would also need to create a map from real topo maps I have for players to "plan" from/reference and that would be pretty time consuming.



GDS_Starfury

If theres 1 file that gets passed around it should be named Gus.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Nefaro

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 11, 2014, 12:40:09 PM
If theres 1 file that gets passed around it should be named Gus.

I hope your computers have serious virus protection, in that case.

GDS_Starfury

I have it covered in a MOPP4 suit.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


bayonetbrant

Quote from: Nefaro on October 11, 2014, 02:45:13 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 11, 2014, 12:40:09 PM
If theres 1 file that gets passed around it should be named Gus.

I hope your computers have serious virus protection, in that case.

As long as you're upstream from Starfury in the rotation, you're probably fine.  It's you're right after him, you likely need antibiotics, a tetanus shot, and trip to the dry-cleaners.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

<---- points to Mirth.  ::)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


mirth

If you can survive an "experience" with Star, Ebola offers no threat.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

To the OP, I like the idea and I'd be interested in FPC or maybe a VASSAL game.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Tinkershuffle

Sounds great, if you/we choose FCRS then I'd love to participate.

Double Deuce

I've actually been leaning towards using FCRS. Perhaps having the players all on one side leading a reinforced MRB against NATO forces (run by the AI).

Planning and orders will take place using an actual topo map (if I can find my hard copies and match one to an existing FCRS map). I will use FCRS to input and resolve the orders given by each player. Basically a sort of Kriegsspiel but using FCRS for the underlying game engine.

I figure I will need 6-10 players, the MRB commander, 4 line company commanders and then some other commanders for the support units (air, artillery, regimental recon).