Nice little article that contains some info on the upcoming game and as part of it, says will be released before end of year.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/23/7052023/game-predicted-war-in-syria-and-ukraine
They need a new game engine. Something with optimization, and stop milking a 10+ year old engine.
Thanks for that. I'll be buying I think.
But wth is it with people who video Combat Mission - they're always moving all over the place...even when not actually issuing orders. It's like they just can't NOT move the mouse about or NOT zoom in or zoom out!
A purchase here was never in doubt, but I'm curious how far along they are in the re-fit of CM:SF they suggested might happen.
3.0 CMx2 is little like the SF of a decade ago so the notion that we might get some of it fitted back into the desert would be outstanding.
Well that and the rest of the EF, the Bulge, &c.
It was also interesting to hear BFC speak so bluntly about Putin...some if their Russian customers, if the company's forums are any indication, will not be pleased.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
I didn't see a lot new there. It was interesting, but I thought Black Sea was supposed to be out even earlier than that. I thought the original announcement had it at mid-2014.
btw, noticed they still don't have the CMRT patch out. I have almost given up on that one.
I'll likely be purchasing as well since would like to get back to some of the modern stuff versus WWII. If they are going to get out by end of the year, pre-orders will have to be soon since typically they have been 6-8 weeks before release I believe. Although, not sure there is a real need to pre order from this company anymore, unless your looking to get the physical media too, which typically you got a few dollars off.
If they keep with their typical marketing scheme, a pre-order basically gets you a download and media for the price of the download...which is nice...
They've also thrown in collector tins for the CMx2 stuff since CMBN.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 25, 2014, 02:12:36 PM
Thanks for that. I'll be buying I think.
But wth is it with people who video Combat Mission - they're always moving all over the place...even when not actually issuing orders. It's like they just can't NOT move the mouse about or NOT zoom in or zoom out!
Trying to make it cinematic.
Quote from: Cyrano on October 25, 2014, 07:08:51 PM
If they keep with their typical marketing scheme, a pre-order basically gets you a download and media for the price of the download...which is nice...
They've also thrown in collector tins for the CMx2 stuff since CMBN.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Yep..however for me, I see little value in getting any physical media nowadays since I can't remember the last time I used a CD/DVD to play a game. But I do understand some folks enjoy that type of thing, which is perfectly fine. For me, it is just taking up physical space in my office, which has become very limited:)
Oh, amen Reaper.
Whatever I might take to be the value of the DVD -- and I haven't loaded a game from a DVD in I don't know how long -- the collector tins, were they not CM related stuff, would long ago have been binned, I think.
As to the video jumping thing, my wife, a professional video editor and producer, notes that this is something common to gamers generally as they try to record their work. We tend to forget that there's an interpolation that our brains do for us of the action on screen -- notably of narrative and context -- that a good director will try to bring back. The person running the sim, though, finds this immensely frustrating as he's just running the game through paces with which he is long familiar, finding the whole "make it understandable" process tedious. FPSs suffer from this less as they're, well, first-person, and the view is therefore limited. A game like CM with all of its moving parts and crazy sound cues...a bit nuts...
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sorry to hijack this thread, but there appears to be a vehicle pack on its way for CMBN: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117319 (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117319)
Vehicle list:
Allies
+ Churchill Crocodile
+ Churchlll ARVE
+ Churchill MkX LT
+ Sherman Crab (British)
+ Priest Kangaroo
+ Stuart Kangaroo
+ Sherman Crab (American)
+ M12 GMC
+ 57mm ATG Bunker
+ 6pdr ATG Bunker
+ American Backpack flamethrower
+ British Backpack flamethrower
Germans
+ Flammenpanzer Char B1
+ Flakpanzer 38(t)
+ SdKfz 135/1 150mm
+ Hummel 150mm
+ Geeschützwagen 39H(f) 75mm
+ Geeschützwagen 39H(f) 105mm
+ U304(f)/1 -> standard
+ U304(f)/3 -> command
+ U304(f)/7 -> mortar
+ U304(f)/10 -> platoon leader
+ R-35
+ Pak40 ATG Bunker
+ Pak36R ATG Bunker
+ Pak38 ATG Bunker
+ German Backpack flamethrower
Quote from: WallysWorld on October 25, 2014, 11:39:57 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but there appears to be a vehicle pack on its way for CMBN: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117319 (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117319)
+1 O0 ...guys check the video in that thread over at Battlefront (mineclearing tank in action !)
Not sure if accurate but someone was speculating the price of the unit pack to be $20, although cost not that critical if you enjoy that stuff. But what probably will make me pause is the fact that really no missions or campaigns will use them unless a modder does it or you use in a quick battle. Seems like the release is expected really soon so I guess we'll see how this all works soon enough.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 26, 2014, 05:39:19 AM
Not sure if accurate but someone was speculating the price of the unit pack to be $20, although cost not that critical if you enjoy that stuff. But what probably will make me pause is the fact that really no missions or campaigns will use them unless a modder does it or you use in a quick battle. Seems like the release is expected really soon so I guess we'll see how this all works soon enough.
Should've (if they are not) included some scenarios.
Of course loads of people swear by the editor. I've not had much luck with it myself...finding unit selection fiddly.
Those are cool. I am hoping that the design concept that was theorized back with CMSF in 2007 is finally coming to fruition...being able to pump out small content packs much more frequently than in the past. SO far it hasn't worked, but this is a good sign.
Making scenarios was (and still is in some respects) quite easy in CMx1. Making good scenarios has always been hard. Just as an experiment some months ago, I tried to put together a couple scenarios using the "I Ain't Been Shot Mum" scenario books from Too Fat Lardies. Of course they're different games, but even managing terrain -- particularly gorund slope on which I only then realized just how badly most miniatures games fudge -- distance between forces, and force balance, was a striking challenge.
Just wrapped up "Angriff" versus Judge in CM:RT (yep, Judge, you got that IS-1 in the end...literally...), am playing "Baranovichi", "Huzzar!", and "Monty's Butchers". Scenario design is a craft with a bit of art thrown in. My hat is off to those that make the best ones. So, to me, this just puts new toys in the hands of the talented. Awesome news.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Quote from: RyanE on October 26, 2014, 06:26:42 AM
Those are cool. I am hoping that the design concept that was theorized back with CMSF in 2007 is finally coming to fruition...being able to pump out small content packs much more frequently than in the past. SO far it hasn't worked, but this is a good sign.
I second that.
I am also reading between the lines of what Chris (Normal Dude) has been posting that they're considering to release "battle packs", probably with campaigns and "master maps". I can only hope that BFC is following the "release often, release early" motto, rather than pretty massive expansions where a bug in one single vehicle can delay the release of the whole thing.
I think the length of time between releases has really hurt their marketability beyond the hardcore devotees. Their team is not exactly small. They have a couple programmers, a couple 3D artists, a few scenario builders, and at least a couple marketing guys. Yet they go 4-6 months between any kind of release.
I like CM, but even I lose interest after a couple months. I would basically buy anything they sell. I have a dozen other games calling to me and they get my attention because stuff keeps coming out. I almost think they they need to go to micro-sales...One or two vehicles and couple scenarios. But I think their DRM and MP get real messy real fast with that approach.
they have a couple of programmers - 2
the 3d artists cant do anything until the programmers do their thing
noone is a professional scenario builder its who can muck in when they can
and marketing cant programme, scenario build or create 3d art
so, basically its just 2 programmers
thats just one more than you, if you decided to start your own wargaming company tomorrow
They a couple marketer...martin and I think Chris, right. Aren't MikeyD and the guy fernando skinners and modelers. Then they have Steve. I know a few beta guys build scenarios and campaigns as employees. There are a couple more people in the background doing tech support like Schullencraft and Elvis. Add to that the two programmers and you have anywhere from 8-11 employees. I am sure all are not full time, but my understanding the last time they talked about it was at least 6 of them are.
They have also stated several times that while programming is key, 3D modeling ends up being the bottleneck on releases.
yeah, theres still quite a lot of art to be released for CMBS
Quote from: RyanE on October 26, 2014, 06:26:42 AM
Those are cool. I am hoping that the design concept that was theorized back with CMSF in 2007 is finally coming to fruition...being able to pump out small content packs much more frequently than in the past. SO far it hasn't worked, but this is a good sign.
It should have been like that and people thought it was like that before. One WW2 base game with different modules. But it evolved into three distinct titles. :/
Quote from: jomni on October 28, 2014, 08:02:48 AM
Quote from: RyanE on October 26, 2014, 06:26:42 AM
Those are cool. I am hoping that the design concept that was theorized back with CMSF in 2007 is finally coming to fruition...being able to pump out small content packs much more frequently than in the past. SO far it hasn't worked, but this is a good sign.
It should have been like that and people thought it was like that before. One WW2 base game with different modules. But it evolved into three distinct titles. :/
They're saying this again?
???
Hopefully they stick to it this time.
:knuppel2:
Quote from: jomni on October 28, 2014, 08:02:48 AM
Quote from: RyanE on October 26, 2014, 06:26:42 AM
Those are cool. I am hoping that the design concept that was theorized back with CMSF in 2007 is finally coming to fruition...being able to pump out small content packs much more frequently than in the past. SO far it hasn't worked, but this is a good sign.
It should have been like that and people thought it was like that before. One WW2 base game with different modules. But it evolved into three distinct titles. :/
It's more than three distinct games for WW2...westfront is at least two (CMBN and bulge), Italy is one, and eastfront is at least three (early, mid, and late). That is six plus all the modules, upgrades, and packs. It creates a pretty messy product list.
The Vehicle Pack has been released.
Regarding releases, I've always been in the camp that too many per year isn't a good thing. I understand that BFC would like to release more titles per year than they currently are but I've also wondered if there might be diminishing returns if they did. As it is now, the core will buy nearly everything that is released. But will they still do that if there are one or 2 games, 2 or 3 modules, an Upgrade and/or Pack every few months? I dunno. If Black Sea makes it out this year, a person who buys everything will have purchased 2 main games, 2 Upgrades and a Pack. About $150. And that's with lower production than some are looking for. Although, I suppose a case can be made that they might sell more total units even if the core doesn't buy everything.
I may not be the best person to comment on this because, aside from Combat Mission games, I think the only other game I've purchased in the last 4 or 5 years is Skyrim.
But if the core will always buy, and the majority left to buy are core, you have to pump as much out as you can. The engine can only last so much longer and the opportunity is not unlimited.
In this engine, you are not going to get many new buyers. The core is standing around waiting to buy and if its three months between releases, your cash flow and captured opporunity will suck compared to smaller releases every month.
Maybe the killer is that they are now working with 3-4 completely seperate engines instead of putting everything under a WW2 engine and Modern engine.
The CMBN Vehicle Pack has been released for $20: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=333&Itemid=575 (http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=333&Itemid=575)
Quote from: Elvis on October 28, 2014, 01:40:29 PM
...
I may not be the best person to comment on this because, aside from Combat Mission games, I think the only other game I've purchased in the last 4 or 5 years is Skyrim.
MY GOD!
I think I average 1 a month and I'm being conservative there!
Of course I would pretty much guarantee you get more for your money given those numbers O0
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 28, 2014, 02:04:19 PM
Quote from: Elvis on October 28, 2014, 01:40:29 PM
...
I may not be the best person to comment on this because, aside from Combat Mission games, I think the only other game I've purchased in the last 4 or 5 years is Skyrim.
MY GOD!
I think I average 1 a month and I'm being conservative there!
Of course I would pretty much guarantee you get more for your money given those numbers O0
Yeah, that's why I was thinking that my opinion may not be the best on this subject. If there's a hunger, early and often might be the ticket.
Does it count if I've bought games for my kids? If it does, then I guess I can add a lot of money pent on Minecraft, Just Dance and Skylanders. :)
Jusr be forewarned...activation appears to be a bit of a nightmare. It immediately seems to have deactivated all modules. I think I have to reactivate EVRY SINGLE module for CMBN...CMBN, 2,o, 3.0, MG, CW, and the new pack.
F****** awesome. I can use all my gaming spare time to suss this out.
Number of people with the issue on BFC forum as well. I love DRM.
Quote from: RyanE on October 28, 2014, 03:15:27 PM
Jusr be forewarned...activation appears to be a bit of a nightmare. It immediately seems to have deactivated all modules. I think I have to reactivate EVRY SINGLE module for CMBN...CMBN, 2,o, 3.0, MG, CW, and the new pack.
F****** awesome. I can use all my gaming spare time to suss this out.
Number of people with the issue on BFC forum as well. I love DRM.
Yeah, it does sound like drudgery. The upside is that this switch should go a long toward eliminating some of the problems that you have encountered before. Bummer I know and little solace but, still, a silver-ish lining. OK...maybe copper.
I have all my keys in a Word doc, so for me it was just a couple minutes of copy/paste.
Are we going to have our limited activations incremented by one for each module or is that another activation pissed out the window.
Quote from: RyanE on October 28, 2014, 05:43:40 AM
I think the length of time between releases has really hurt their marketability beyond the hardcore devotees. Their team is not exactly small. They have a couple programmers, a couple 3D artists, a few scenario builders, and at least a couple marketing guys. Yet they go 4-6 months between any kind of release.
I like CM, but even I lose interest after a couple months. I would basically buy anything they sell. I have a dozen other games calling to me and they get my attention because stuff keeps coming out. I almost think they they need to go to micro-sales...One or two vehicles and couple scenarios. But I think their DRM and MP get real messy real fast with that approach.
Never lose interest in their games. I have played no where near all the content I have bought.
I am still playing CMSF regularly. No other game comes close to their stuff and I can't wait for black sea.
Quote from: RyanE on October 28, 2014, 03:31:09 PM
Are we going to have our limited activations incremented by one for each module or is that another activation pissed out the window.
From the information in the details section of the announcement:
QuoteRe-licensing these after installing the Vehicle Pack is NOT going to use any of your remaining activations.
HOBART'S FUNNIES!!
That is all...
Must...resist...urge...to...leave...work...early...
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
P.S.: This is the first time that the DRM sounds painful to me...not that it's changing my behavior in any way.
Quote from: Cyrano on October 28, 2014, 04:51:56 PM
HOBART'S FUNNIES!!
That is all...
Must...resist...urge...to...leave...work...early...
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
P.S.: This is the first time that the DRM sounds painful to me...not that it's changing my behavior in any way.
I can make it sound easy-ish.
Have the following keys handy:
3.0
Commonwealth
Market Garden
and/or
Bundle key
Launch game activate with 3.0
Use the Activate thingie that is installed on your desktop.
Activate one of the above.
Repeat.
My understanding is the order that you do this doesn't matter. Here is the official description of that part:
repeat the above procedure for any module you may have, as well as for the Vehicle Pack itself. You will need the following license keys:
for the Commonwealth Forces and Market Garden Modules, you need a license key from when you purchased said module, including as part of a bundle (for example, the Big Bundle, CMBN
Commonwealth Bundle, Comonwealth + 3.0 + Market Garden Bundle, and so on)
for the Vehicle Pack, use the same key you used to download the Pack
Thanks...but this quote from the BFC boards is what threw me for a loop. That part is not documented...
"You only have to enter it once then try each of your module keys (if you have modules) and the vehicle pack key. For some reason when you have a successful activation it's coming up with the same message for everything...Example: You have successfully activated CM Battle For Normandy."
That was completely confusing me.
Did I read here that upgrading from v2.12 to v3.0 will disable your saved games?
Quote from: Elvis on October 28, 2014, 04:08:01 PM
Quote from: RyanE on October 28, 2014, 03:31:09 PM
Are we going to have our limited activations incremented by one for each module or is that another activation pissed out the window.
From the information in the details section of the announcement:
QuoteRe-licensing these after installing the Vehicle Pack is NOT going to use any of your remaining activations.
Frankly, I would never have looked there...couldn't the install/activation instructions be placed maybe, you know, in the actual installer. I looked for a read me and found nothing. With something as complicated as CM2's activation, I would think it would be pretty good idea to make sure its someplace in the actual install...not in the announcement on the website...buried after clicking on a link and at the bottom of 5-6 pages.
I mean good god! Someone at BFC didn't think maybe we could save our customers and ourselves a little grief and put something that important...a) at thetop of the main page announcement, and b) in the messages popping up in the installer...maybe instead of the toolbar offer.
Quote from: RyanE on October 28, 2014, 07:05:44 PM
Quote from: Elvis on October 28, 2014, 04:08:01 PM
Quote from: RyanE on October 28, 2014, 03:31:09 PM
Are we going to have our limited activations incremented by one for each module or is that another activation pissed out the window.
From the information in the details section of the announcement:
QuoteRe-licensing these after installing the Vehicle Pack is NOT going to use any of your remaining activations.
Frankly, I would never have looked there...couldn't the install/activation instructions be placed maybe, you know, in the actual installer. I looked for a read me and found nothing. With something as complicated as CM2's activation, I would think it would be pretty good idea to make sure its someplace in the actual install...not in the announcement on the website...buried after clicking on a link and at the bottom of 5-6 pages.
I mean good god! Someone at BFC didn't think maybe we could save our customers and ourselves a little grief and put something that important...a) at thetop of the main page announcement, and b) in the messages popping up in the installer...maybe instead of the toolbar offer.
Little unfair, mate. On the front page of the BFC website, right under the screen shots of the game is the highlighted message saying "IMPORTANT INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS" followed by this text:
QuoteThe Vehicle Pack includes important updates to our anti-piracy protection and activation system. As such it comes with new instructions for how to install and activate it:
Most importantly, the Vehicle Pack will require you to activate your base game v3.0 as well as any modules you may have in addition to the Pack itself. You will need the v3.0 Upgrade license key for the base game that you received when you purchased the 3.0 Upgrade, and keys from the purchase of each of the modules (for example: the CMBN + Commonwealth Forces Bundle, or the Big Bundle, or any module alone). Re-licensing these after installing the Vehicle Pack is NOT going to use any of your remaining activations.
The way you activate changed, as well. When launching the pack for the first time, you will be prompted to activate the base game. Use the 3.0 Upgrade license key for that. On subsequent launches, the activation screen will NOT appear automatically. To force it to show up and allow you to activate additional components, please use the "Activate" shortcut instead of launching the game. The shortcut will allow you to enter any valid key to unlock additional content, such as modules, packs or upgrades. You will have to do this for each module, upgrade or pack you own. The shortcut can be found on your desktop after installation, or inside the Start>All Programs>Battlefront group on the PC, or inside the Documents folder on the Mac
Detailed activation instructions are available in the ReadMe file available during installation, as well as in the game manual, and in our Knowledgebase at http://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com.
Again, this is not buried anywhere. It's on the front page of the website. Whoever posted it (my guess is Moon/Martin) made sure to say it loud and clear that there were special installation instructions and clearly pointed out where to find them, before and after the purchase and installation.
I can dig it that you've had a couple of problems with the DRM and hate it. I get it. But it ain't like they didn't put information out there. True, they didn't put it at the top of the announcement but they put it pretty close to the top.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi208.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb203%2Felviscos01%2Fbfc_zps389e3fed.png&hash=ce7b9e42db89d3d87dd7befb3fdd3bbb985c8dc3) (http://s208.photobucket.com/user/elviscos01/media/bfc_zps389e3fed.png.html)
I can guarantee you it was not there when it first went up. That blue box was added later. Right after download, I went back and looked. And it is buried. install instruction actually placed 6 pages down is absolutely crazy. That is not unfair. How difficult is it to put a stupid readme in the download?
Still how many companies put out a significant change in their product and don't include a readme for instructions. Isn't that the first place any one is going to look? Show me one company that did not include instructions with the download and only had it in a marketing announcement. Plus on top of that, all the activation messages are wrong; just to confuse people even more.
edit...You are being very disingenuous with your second shot, its at the very bottom. I'll tell you what a number of people are going to do. They are going to see the buy button and click on it. They will not go below that link. Why would you not put that message ABOVE the buy button.
Also, its not just me. Go check your own forums for issues.
Is this DRM going to be less sensitive to PC changes? I really hope so. I am about to install a second SSD and really don't want to go through the dance again for all BFC games.
FWIW, I was up and running with zero hitches in less than ten minutes.
HOWEVER, this is in large part due to the simple assistance provided by Elvis which did a good job of boiling down to instructions what BF, in my mind, made unnecessarily opaque.
Particular grievances:
1. There are no instructions internal to the install that indicate what's supposed to happen or what you're supposed to do once the update is downloaded. That should have been automatic to the install. Putting an "activate modules" button on my desktop just isn't enough.
2. Once you run the first install, it doesn't tell you that it wants your SSN for 3.0 and not CM:BN. It honestly read like it wanted the latter...it wants the former.
3. And this is just a bug-eyed peeve of mine, I always get my SSNs from the BF site. The window from which you need to cut-and-paste isn't as big as the numbers themselves. This can result in awkward and unnecessary truncation.
4. As you update both MG and CW, the game tells you you've successfully activated something, but doesn't give you feedback as to what until you go back into the game and check the version and buttons at the bottom of the main screen.
The updating was actually quite painless once I knew what I was on about. I confess, however, that I feel BF could have taken some relatively simple steps to make this easier for the user.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Quote from: Cyrano on October 28, 2014, 09:10:53 PM
The updating was actually quite painless once I knew what I was on about. I confess, however, that I feel BF could have taken some relatively simple steps to make this easier for the user.
I'm a big Battlefront fan. Love the games. I've been fortunate enough that the DRM hasn't historically been a hassle for me. I'm also extremely technically adept (job related). Complex software installation instructions I take in stride.
I'm damn glad I had Elvis' instructions on this one or I think I'd have had a frustrating night. Like Jim, courtesy of those instructions I was up and running in just a few minutes, but if I'd have relied on the instructions on the site and the really awful UI feedback from the activation tool I think I'd have been upset.
Battlefront's patching/modules/activation scheme is getting as bad as Graviteam's. That's the wrong direction, guys.
Excuse me while I go get some popcorn to eat while I watch JD's head explode when he encounters the activation UI... ;)
"Battlefront's patching/modules/activation scheme is getting as bad as Graviteam's"
Exactly my thinking on the thing. It has been heading this way for a couple years now. It seems each release adds one more complication with the promise it will get simpler.
RyanE, when I posted that the pack was released while I was eating lunch at 12 30 edt it was there. That is when I first saw that it had been released. If you saw a release announcement earlier that that (certainly possible) that didn't include that then you did. But I know that was there when I posted that the pack had been released. 100% there at tgat time.
Disingenuous? Come one. Is posting that the activation system has changed supposed to be the lead story? Seriously? It is in the front page of the website announcement and even has a screen shot BELOW it. Dude, you need to get a grip. As the announcement says, there is a Readme file in the download, it's in the MANUAL that comes with the download and there is a Knowledgebase article about it. What do you want them to do? Personally call everyone who buys it and talk them through it?
I don't know the exact time of the release but I do know that when I saw it EXACTLY what I posted a screen shot of was there. EXACTLY. If you missed it don't try and put that on me or them.
On a lighter note - hey, cool vehicles!
So why does an additional pack require the re-activation of other modules?
In have found their upgrade system confusing in the past. Given the different versions, different version patches, different activation and de-activation processes...I think it's a f***ing mess.
Great games - shite "get up and running" experience. :knuppel2:
Well its good to see that BFC technical support finds this type of documentation a good way to go
Holy Cow...have you guys been doing this so long now that you can't see the angst you create in your customers. And something like this could have been a moot point with the inclusion of a simple readme file. I can create one for you in 5 seconds. Are you guys so internally focused you don't even realize the bullshittery you create with almost every release?
If I was the only one, I would say...OK, lesson learned. But look at the number of people saying the same thing. Yet you will cling to the perspective that it was all nice and clear.
I mean, its still like that. Nothing has changed. So I can only assume that BFC just doesn't give a crap.
Quote from: RyanE on October 29, 2014, 05:43:56 AM
Well its good to see that BFC technical support finds this type of documentation a good way to go
Holy Cow...have you guys been doing this so long now that you can't see the angst you create in your customers. And something like this could have been a moot point with the inclusion of a simple readme file. I can create one for you in 5 seconds. Are you guys so internally focused you don't even realize the bullshittery you create with almost every release?
If I was the only one, I would say...OK, lesson learned. But look at the number of people saying the same thing. Yet you will cling to the perspective that it was all nice and clear.
I mean, its still like that. Nothing has changed. So I can only assume that BFC just doesn't give a crap.
Dude, what is your frickin problem? And why are you trying to put words in my mouth? I didn't comment one way or the other about if it was a "good way to go" or not. I just pointed out what you missed. Which includes the Readme file that you keep saying should be included..........and is.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 29, 2014, 01:28:19 AM
So why does an additional pack require the re-activation of other modules?
The system itself is being changed to one that will he eliminate some of the issues that have been talked about in different threads on this forum. This Pack is the first release with the new system and converts the game to the new system.
My problem is BFC consistently cocking up the DRM. Me wasting my fricking time meandering through false deactivations, help desk, hidden instructions, etc. Every time a new release comes out of I add something as simple as RAM to my PC, I spend more time in help desk communications than I do playing. I am about to upgrade my PC and I am already dreading reinstalling any BFC and Graviteam product. Its to the point, it becomes a factor in my laptop purchasing decisions.
Yet BFC seems to see no issues with it. BFC and Graviteam have become synonymous in my book. Love the games, hate the company.
btw, I don't have to put words in your mouth...if nothing changes, anyone would assume BFC is OK with how it is.
So I own other BFC games like TOW and SC. Am I eventually going to have to reactivate those too?
Elvis,
In case it gets lost in all the DRM vitriol I wanted to thank you for taking your time to proactively help folks in setting up their games and fixing problems. Irrespective of what BFC does or does not do as a company, knowing you are at the ready is much appreciated and goes a long way toward making me consider getting CM: Black Sea sooner rather than later.
Quote from: Elvis on October 29, 2014, 06:09:29 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 29, 2014, 01:28:19 AM
So why does an additional pack require the re-activation of other modules?
The system itself is being changed to one that will he eliminate some of the issues that have been talked about in different threads on this forum. This Pack is the first release with the new system and converts the game to the new system.
Elvis,
there's something here which isn't right, mate.
The activation process might be new, but I have been flummoxed by it - and I am a quite technical person and I have very good short term memory. In my case, the application, rather than presenting to me clearly what modules I had activated, showed six green boxes all with the same text "CM Battle For Normandy PC". Which is different from the presentation for Market Garden (where it was clearly spelled out what was activated or not).
It was a bit like playing Mastermind:
* Entered 3.0 license code -> I got three green boxes reading "CM Battle For Normandy PC"
* Entered CW license code -> I got four green boxes reading "CM Battle For Normandy PC"
* Entered MG license code -> I got five green boxes reading "CM Battle For Normandy PC"
* Launched the game, couldn't find the Churchill AVRE in the Editor, so...
* Shut down game
* Entered Vehicle Pack license code -> I got six green boxes reading "CM Battle For Normandy PC"
I know from first hand how much of a pain is to put up an installer for people with widely varying configurations. But guys, come on, getting this almost right - probably the most controversial thing ever about Battlefront.com games, and the least interesting thing to talk about Battlefront.com games - is actually getting it quite wrong.
I have reported this to the Helpdesk, of course.
That was what ended up setting me off. I probably shut down and restarted CMBN a dozen times and kept re-entering activation codes. It was what eventually got me looking for a readme. It is almost a repeat of the whole 2.12 patch that wasn't 2.12 issue.
Yeah, I kind of wanted to +1 Staggerwing on this: thanks, Elvis, you definitely helped me.
Whatever BFC needs to take away from this and whatever it in fact does take away from this, I'm grateful for your help.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
There seems to be a little more push back on the value of the pack on the BFC site. The price doesn't bother me much. I think the more rare and special the vehicles, the more they should cost.
At this point, I think they should reconsider the separate bulge engine and just add more modules and packs to CMBN that takes it to the end of the war. From an outside perspective, I don't see the benefit of building a whole new engine. They can also make more money from that strategy than a big new engine and modules for that. I would hole that is would minimize DM issues as well.
Have not bought anything from Battlefront in over two years, the last product being Combat Mission Strike Force Marines. Was considering buying Combat Mission Normandy the other day and was so confused as to what I was supposed to buy, that I said fuck it.
Here is what I think you have to buy and do to install
CM Battle for Normandy Big Bundle $85.00
Then you have to buy the 3.0 engine upgrade for $10.00
Then activate all those, because wargames seem to be the only games I ever have to register because of the huge number of wargaming pirates out there :idiot2:
Finally the new vehicle pack for $20.00 in which I then have to activate everything I just activated again.
That is what it take to bring Normandy up to date ..... I think.
Im surprised Battlefront does not offer (for an additional fee of course) someone to come to your house and personally help people through the installation process.
Quote from: bboyer66 on October 29, 2014, 09:21:02 AM
Have not bought anything from Battlefront in over two years, the last product being Combat Mission Strike Force Marines. Was considering buying Combat Mission Normandy the other day and was so confused as to what I was supposed to buy, that I said fuck it.
Here is what I think you have to buy and do to install
CM Battle for Normandy Big Bundle $85.00
Then you have to buy the 3.0 engine upgrade for $10.00
Then activate all those, because wargames seem to be the only games I ever have to register because of the huge number of wargaming pirates out there :idiot2:
Finally the new vehicle pack for $20.00 in which I then have to activate everything I just activated again.
That is what it take to bring Normandy up to date ..... I think.
That is correct. I have no official (or unofficial) conversations but it wouldn't surprise me if, as with the Big Bundle, they offered a complete package that includes the 3.0 Upgrade and the Vehicle Pack. Even if that is done, there will always be Upgrades down the road. In my opinion, that is one of the biggest advantages of the new engine. Older games won't get left in the dust as the engine evolves.
QuoteIm surprised Battlefront does not offer (for an additional fee of course) someone to come to your house and personally help people through the installation process.
Pittsburgh? Sure, but I do require beer and aPrimanti Bros. sammich and NO Steelers talk......The last one is non-negotiable. :)
from Battlefront...
"I've seen a couple mentions of the much delayed Red Thunder patch. A quick update here, then I'll post to the Red Thunder forum. Basically, the biggest thing the patch needed to fix is the building entering problem. That took a LONG time to track down and address. Then we ran into some issues with the DRM we use. The latter also delayed the Vehicle Pack release. There was another technical problem that affected both as well. But now it looks like we're clear (enough) of the problems that the patch should be coming out very soon."
I hope it was a complete change out of the DRM system. The system in place prior to 3.1 was making the game too much like work.
Quote from: RyanE on October 29, 2014, 11:58:47 AM
from Battlefront...
"I've seen a couple mentions of the much delayed Red Thunder patch. A quick update here, then I'll post to the Red Thunder forum. Basically, the biggest thing the patch needed to fix is the building entering problem. That took a LONG time to track down and address. Then we ran into some issues with the DRM we use. The latter also delayed the Vehicle Pack release. There was another technical problem that affected both as well. But now it looks like we're clear (enough) of the problems that the patch should be coming out very soon."
I hope it was a complete change out of the DRM system. The system in place prior to 3.1 was making the game too much like work.
I just don't get that comment. I installed the games and had to cut and paste the key into a box when I started the game. I haven't touched it apart from that ... how's that "work"
I am almost positive they are going through the effort of replacing the DRM because it works perfectly.
Quote from: RyanE on October 29, 2014, 03:13:28 PM
I am almost positive they are going through the effort of replacing the DRM because it works perfectly.
;D
Gotta replace it with something that works equally poorly?
BF could've also saved a lot of headaches if they would've stuck to the original modular plan. Release expansions and just patch up the original base game to keep everything compatible. Instead they wanted to sell core game patches and make full price on many of the expansions by creating them as standalones. What a mess. Again, I point to titles like Crusader Kings 2 on how to put out a series in modular/expansion format.
The annoying DRM just can't be helped if the developers have bought into the overblown piracy paranoia. The flames of which have been fanned by the companies selling such DRM. "The large amounts of hardcore wargame pirates are gonna take it all! Oh my! You need to buy our snake oil. Who cares if it inconveniences your customers on occasion? DOOM!!1". It's obviously here to stay with BF, in one form or another.
On other news, the Churchill AVRE lives up to its reputation of unwieldy awesomeness. Britannia rocks hard when it reloads!
Those AVREs are seriously stupid.
I may design a scenario solely for the purpose of driving around a map with a flame-throwing tank and an AVRE to demolish French town...
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Quote from: bboyer66 on October 29, 2014, 09:21:02 AM
Have not bought anything from Battlefront in over two years, the last product being Combat Mission Strike Force Marines. Was considering buying Combat Mission Normandy the other day and was so confused as to what I was supposed to buy, that I said fuck it.
Here is what I think you have to buy and do to install
CM Battle for Normandy Big Bundle $85.00
Then you have to buy the 3.0 engine upgrade for $10.00
Then activate all those, because wargames seem to be the only games I ever have to register because of the huge number of wargaming pirates out there :idiot2:
Finally the new vehicle pack for $20.00 in which I then have to activate everything I just activated again.
That is what it take to bring Normandy up to date ..... I think.
Im surprised Battlefront does not offer (for an additional fee of course) someone to come to your house and personally help people through the installation process.
Exactly.
I've laid off their games after Red Thunder...but all the games I bought prior to Red Thunder made me think "Huh?". Totally whack.
I don't know why it's so difficult to put out a freakin module that you install, activate and play. :uglystupid2:
Quote from: Cyrano on October 29, 2014, 04:46:38 PM
I may design a scenario solely for the purpose of driving around a map with a flame-throwing tank and an AVRE to demolish French town...
I did indeed setup a very small scenario last night, and it was very fun. I might even try to push that very barebones setup into a true scenario :)
One of my favorite scenarios from CM1 included the AVRE. It won the fight by itself.
Elvis, in case it isn't clear, thanks very much for your clear and understandable explanations of all thing CM and Battlefront. Your efforts here and elsewhere are very much appreciated.
Im the only one that is upset that Black Sea is being peddled on the same game engine that can hardly process shadows?
Was hoping for a newer engine. Maybe one that actually had a physics model.
This is just another Shock Force mod for $60
its using the 3.0 engine
I don't even turn shadows on. I am typically not into CM for the looks.
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 29, 2014, 10:58:02 PM
Was hoping for a newer engine. Maybe one that actually had a physics model.
It's certainly better than Arma III, with those fully laden soldiers jumping on a drone similar to this one
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.goodluckbuy.com%2Fimages%2Fdetailed_images%2Fsku_79684_2.jpg&hash=010f70336c55f335d7e0ff1bfaea17bba8d9dbcf)
and zooming into the sky as if they were the Green Goblin.
spoiler alert! :D
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 30, 2014, 04:27:57 AM
its using the 3.0 engine
What is the 3.0 engine?
Red Thunder?
Not very impressive looking, and still no physics.
Yes, red thunder.
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 30, 2014, 08:49:27 PM
Not very impressive looking, and still no physics.
What relevant physical phenomena are not modeled?
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 30, 2014, 08:49:27 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 30, 2014, 04:27:57 AM
its using the 3.0 engine
What is the 3.0 engine?
Red Thunder?
Not very impressive looking, and still no physics.
I find that it looks very well especially when i have modded it up with vehicle packs.
Not sure what you mean about physics? It does model all the ammo and trajectories going so far as to to model hitting building and troops behind the ones you have targeted. My favorite moment is when I took out a sherman (Kinetics) that was screaming towards my hidden troops at full speed. The sherman was KIA but still trundled forward a good 50 yards (momentum) to land smack dab in the middle of my defensive position where after another turn or two it proceeded to catastrophically blow up (thermodynamics) as the ammo cooked off taking out my HMG (shock wave). That was maybe too much physics for me :>
My biggest quibble is that I dont like the square terrain placement since it leads to needing to do more micro managing to place/face your troops and I am never sure if they are really getting the full defensive terrain benefits.
Con
Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on October 30, 2014, 08:19:38 AM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 29, 2014, 10:58:02 PM
Was hoping for a newer engine. Maybe one that actually had a physics model.
It's certainly better than Arma III, with those fully laden soldiers jumping on a drone similar to this one
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.goodluckbuy.com%2Fimages%2Fdetailed_images%2Fsku_79684_2.jpg&hash=010f70336c55f335d7e0ff1bfaea17bba8d9dbcf)
and zooming into the sky as if they were the Green Goblin.
Fully laden soldiers are not jumping on drones in the game. If you try it in-game, nothing will happen. You have to actually go into the editor, use "attach to" commands and alter the flight characteristics of the drone in order to do what you're saying. It's just an example of what can be done with the editor if you want to goof around.
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 30, 2014, 10:09:28 PM
Fully laden soldiers are not jumping on drones in the game. If you try it in-game, nothing will happen. You have to actually go into the editor, use "attach to" commands and alter the flight characteristics of the drone in order to do what you're saying. It's just an example of what can be done with the editor if you want to goof around.
In this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x86mpYxfQQ0
I don't see the guy tweaking with the Editor modifying the soldier mass or the power-to-weight ratio of the drone. I just see him, as you say, to "attach" the soldier to the drone. It's fairly obvious that ARMA III engine isn't accounting for the mass or the aerodynamics of the "Green Goblin" contraption. And my understanding is that you could have that "unit" deployed in a mission, but I might be incorrect.
I have no issue with BF's pricing policy. My wargaming hobby would be alot poorer if they didn't exist and I'm grateful they are still around and developer tactical wargames. I also like the engine update process which means you can keep your game right upto date with the newer releases for a small cost, otherwise those theaters \wars released early in the engine development would get left behind with regards to new features etc.
I prob pick up the vehicle pack in a sale sometime in the future..no rush for it.
The next purchase from them will be Black Sea.
Quote from: Con on October 30, 2014, 09:54:14 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 30, 2014, 08:49:27 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 30, 2014, 04:27:57 AM
its using the 3.0 engine
What is the 3.0 engine?
Red Thunder?
Not very impressive looking, and still no physics.
I find that it looks very well especially when i have modded it up with vehicle packs.
Not sure what you mean about physics? It does model all the ammo and trajectories going so far as to to model hitting building and troops behind the ones you have targeted. My favorite moment is when I took out a sherman (Kinetics) that was screaming towards my hidden troops at full speed. The sherman was KIA but still trundled forward a good 50 yards (momentum) to land smack dab in the middle of my defensive position where after another turn or two it proceeded to catastrophically blow up (thermodynamics) as the ammo cooked off taking out my HMG (shock wave). That was maybe too much physics for me :>
My biggest quibble is that I dont like the square terrain placement since it leads to needing to do more micro managing to place/face your troops and I am never sure if they are really getting the full defensive terrain benefits.
Con
This and not being able to fire on a unit because you cannot see the base...meaning a unit at the top of a hill (or in a building on a hill) where you are advancing means you can't attack them. (I think that's true - if I'm talking bollox feel free to ignore and/or correct and move on) ;D
But the squares...definitely. I wonder if they could make them smaller given the power of PC's nowadays?
Didn't CMSF start out without those squares and every infantry just died left and right because they don't want to hide behind a wall (dumb tactical AI). Those "action squares" that influenced LOS helped in increasing infantry survivability.
Needs to be a better way
It is fiddly getting units in a suitable position at times. Also, I'm pretty sure that LOS issue is prevalent
The main issue with the action spots/squares is teams, especially larger one, get unrealistically bunched up. BFC recognized this but only addressed it through nerfing HE effects. This then manifests itself in buildings and other terrain, as well as against vehicles. That was as of CMSF and CMBN. I have seen nothing that says they changed it.
Quote from: RyanE on October 31, 2014, 06:50:45 AM
The main issue with the action spots/squares is teams, especially larger one, get unrealistically bunched up. BFC recognized this but only addressed it through nerfing HE effects. This then manifests itself in buildings and other terrain, as well as against vehicles. That was as of CMSF and CMBN. I have seen nothing that says they changed it.
Positioning infantry has been always quite a pain. Breaking down into teams is best thing one can do to get a chance at using terrain effectively sometimes.
Nations that cannot split into sub-squad units suffer tactically in ways I am not sure are very realistic or historical. That and some strange choices when it comes to model heavy weapons as either a huge team, or two teams (heavy weapon and ammo bearers). German HMG teams are of the "huge" variety and that sometimes is very problematic to use them effectively.
Quote from: Nefaro on October 29, 2014, 03:56:34 PM
Quote from: RyanE on October 29, 2014, 03:13:28 PM
I am almost positive they are going through the effort of replacing the DRM because it works perfectly.
;D
Gotta replace it with something that works equally poorly?
BF could've also saved a lot of headaches if they would've stuck to the original modular plan. Release expansions and just patch up the original base game to keep everything compatible. Instead they wanted to sell core game patches and make full price on many of the expansions by creating them as standalones. What a mess. Again, I point to titles like Crusader Kings 2 on how to put out a series in modular/expansion format.
The annoying DRM just can't be helped if the developers have bought into the overblown piracy paranoia. The flames of which have been fanned by the companies selling such DRM. "The large amounts of hardcore wargame pirates are gonna take it all! Oh my! You need to buy our snake oil. Who cares if it inconveniences your customers on occasion? DOOM!!1". It's obviously here to stay with BF, in one form or another.
I posted this on a different forum in response to a similar post. I'm not looking to debate how prevalent piracy is or isn't. This is for entertainment purposes.
I don't know if there are ways that software makers can find out what their exposure is and I know this is completely anecdotal but I get
at least one Help Desk ticket a month for someone phising for a license key.The 2 most memorable ones are a guy in China bought CMBN in some store. Long story short is that the store owner or someone purchase 3 copies, which gives you 12 activations, made discs and cases and was selling them. The most recent was this guy. He kept asking me for a key and that he didn't have the download version. With a CD only purchase the key is only in the packaging. In extremely rare occasions the key isn't there. So I asked him for his order number. He told me that he bought it in a store in France and not through BFC. As proof of his purchase he sent me this picture of the DVD case.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi208.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb203%2Felviscos01%2FMobile%2520Uploads%2FIMG_20141019_222442-1_zps2dc4bb62.jpg&hash=ef02d22210e3a98d8fdb9c33f0a03bf8635fab41) (http://s208.photobucket.com/user/elviscos01/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141019_222442-1_zps2dc4bb62.jpg.html)
It's an infantry weapon that the Wehrmacht had on the drawing table in early 1945. I expect it will be released in one of the kit packs.
Awesome...
Given what JTS has said about the pirating of ITS games (certainly a niche within a niche if there was one) I realized that it's not the individual user stealing, but the unscrupulous throughout the world taking whatever advantage they can of an unsuspecting public.
Who, after all, doesn't want that tank?
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
I split my teams at the start if every scenario now..it does help ease some of the little issues the series has. Still with it's faults if your a tactical wargamer nothing else really comes close. Graviteam Tactics is great but the issue it has with Inf vs Tank combat is a much bigger pain than anything in the CM series. Saying this I still love both series and will always buy follow on games.
Quote from: Elvis on October 31, 2014, 04:31:21 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 29, 2014, 03:56:34 PM
Quote from: RyanE on October 29, 2014, 03:13:28 PM
I am almost positive they are going through the effort of replacing the DRM because it works perfectly.
;D
Gotta replace it with something that works equally poorly?
BF could've also saved a lot of headaches if they would've stuck to the original modular plan. Release expansions and just patch up the original base game to keep everything compatible. Instead they wanted to sell core game patches and make full price on many of the expansions by creating them as standalones. What a mess. Again, I point to titles like Crusader Kings 2 on how to put out a series in modular/expansion format.
The annoying DRM just can't be helped if the developers have bought into the overblown piracy paranoia. The flames of which have been fanned by the companies selling such DRM. "The large amounts of hardcore wargame pirates are gonna take it all! Oh my! You need to buy our snake oil. Who cares if it inconveniences your customers on occasion? DOOM!!1". It's obviously here to stay with BF, in one form or another.
I posted this on a different forum in response to a similar post. I'm not looking to debate how prevalent piracy is or isn't. This is for entertainment purposes.
I don't know if there are ways that software makers can find out what their exposure is and I know this is completely anecdotal but I get at least one Help Desk ticket a month for someone phising for a license key.The 2 most memorable ones are a guy in China bought CMBN in some store. Long story short is that the store owner or someone purchase 3 copies, which gives you 12 activations, made discs and cases and was selling them. The most recent was this guy. He kept asking me for a key and that he didn't have the download version. With a CD only purchase the key is only in the packaging. In extremely rare occasions the key isn't there. So I asked him for his order number. He told me that he bought it in a store in France and not through BFC. As proof of his purchase he sent me this picture of the DVD case.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi208.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb203%2Felviscos01%2FMobile%2520Uploads%2FIMG_20141019_222442-1_zps2dc4bb62.jpg&hash=ef02d22210e3a98d8fdb9c33f0a03bf8635fab41) (http://s208.photobucket.com/user/elviscos01/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141019_222442-1_zps2dc4bb62.jpg.html)
OK, I'll bite...how much actual revenue did BFC lose. Would these guys have spent $200 total for BFC games off the rack. BFC's DRM seems more of a pride thing. No one is allowed to use their SW without their permission. I actually worked in China for quite some time. No way they are spending that kind of money. Now how much has BFC spent on licensing DRM.
I posted this on a different forum in response to a similar post. I'm not looking to debate how prevalent piracy is or isn't. This is for entertainment purposes.
I don't know if there are ways that software makers can find out what their exposure is and I know this is completely anecdotal.............
I can...my old company used hardware DRM. A usb fob. We made manufacturing automation software valued at about $800-1000 per license. We removed the fob requirement and went to straight serial number activation. Our sales in BRIC countries changed $0. 96% of all pirating of that SW happens in Brazil, CHina, India, and Russia. People/companies that could afford it, bought it. If they couldn't afford it, they pirated it regardless if it had DRM. They never were going to buy it.
Side note: most of the pirating happened in government organizations.
Its a pretty big cop out to jump into a conversation with anecdotal information and when challenged, state you aren't here to debate. Its not a debate, its a discussion. If you don't want to participate, fine, don't. But is it really how you want to be part of discussion...I'll only talk about it if no one challenges what I say?
btw, I noticed more and more people complaining about figuring out the activation instructions. Noted you didn't want to join in those discussions either.
Quote from: RyanE on October 31, 2014, 07:56:41 PM
Its a pretty big cop out to jump into a conversation with anecdotal information and when challenged, state you aren't here to debate. Its not a debate, its a discussion. If you don't want to participate, fine, don't. But is it really how you want to be part of discussion...I'll only talk about it if no one challenges what I say?
Dude. Go check your couch cushions for your sense of humor. The post was a humorous post about a ridiculous thing someone did to try and spoof a key out of Elvis. He wasn't trying to prove anything.
Quote from: panzerde on October 31, 2014, 08:16:50 PM
Quote from: RyanE on October 31, 2014, 07:56:41 PM
Its a pretty big cop out to jump into a conversation with anecdotal information and when challenged, state you aren't here to debate. Its not a debate, its a discussion. If you don't want to participate, fine, don't. But is it really how you want to be part of discussion...I'll only talk about it if no one challenges what I say?
Dude. Go check your couch cushions for your sense of humor. The post was a humorous post about a ridiculous thing someone did to try and spoof a key out of Elvis. He wasn't trying to prove anything.
Exactly. That is why I put the caveat before my post. I have neither the information nor first hand knowledge to know how much this stuff affects a company. Don't claim to. Just thought they were a couple of amusing stories. Not intended to prove or disprove anything.
Quote from: Con on October 30, 2014, 09:54:14 PM
Not sure what you mean about physics?
I mean...it looks like crap. Even the supposed "3.0" engine can hardly handle large maps with trees.
Soldiers and Vehicle look like stationary animations moving along a plane. Maybe it needs some tweaking in terms of gravity? Soldiers seem to go down very slowly when hit, and vehicles handle terrain...oddly.
I wish BF would use some of the money they make from these ridiculous DLC's (vehicle pack, really? RIP OFF) to improve some under-the-hood stuff thats dragging the game down, in terms of optimization and graphical quality.
There comes a time when you just have to reconcile yourself with the fact that a game isn't for you
It will never be turn based call of duty 4
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 31, 2014, 09:19:34 PM
Quote from: Con on October 30, 2014, 09:54:14 PM
Not sure what you mean about physics?
I mean...it looks like crap. Even the supposed "3.0" engine can hardly handle large maps with trees.
Soldiers and Vehicle look like stationary animations moving along a plane. Maybe it needs some tweaking in terms of gravity? Soldiers seem to go down very slowly when hit, and vehicles handle terrain...oddly.
I wish BF would use some of the money they make from these ridiculous DLC's (vehicle pack, really? RIP OFF) to improve some under-the-hood stuff thats dragging the game down, in terms of optimization and graphical quality.
You are asking for AAA quality graphics from a small developer. It's not going to happen.
I agree with Geek here.
But it's too bad when you realise you just cannot get over certain aspects of a game, while the premise of it in general is so good. I have that with WitP AE. :)
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 01, 2014, 05:12:04 AM
There comes a time when you just have to reconcile yourself with the fact that a game isn't for you
It will never be turn based call of duty 4
I'd be OK with the graphics if the game AT LEAST ran smoothly. But it doesn't; and it can't even handle its own maps. Most people have to turn the trees off to get a decent experience.
Here's another question: is 3.0 64-bit?
The graphics actually run quite well on my machine...I only turn off the trees to get a better view of what's going on. I've run big maps and little. CMRT 3.0 has the most advanced physics engine of any game of this type. II've even posted a couple You Tube videos because of the crazy things this engine permits that no other game yet has. THe system has its flaws, all do, but it's my squad level WWII game of choice and has been for over a decade. No one, of course, can compel anyone to like something they do not, but much of what you alledge is untrue.
And, as acknowledged by Foreign Policy magazine, the designers have shown spooky prescience when it comes to modern conflicts. I very much look forward to Black Sea and the other iterations in the CMx2 family.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
I honestly don't know, although I suspect not.
I have it running on both 32-bit and 64-bit rigs and it runs very well on both, but I understand that's not the question you're asking.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
probably not as wargamers are a frugal bunch. Many will still be running XP and 32 bit OS
Why rub out a large part of your market?
Quote from: Cyrano on November 01, 2014, 11:54:11 AM
I honestly don't know, although I suspect not.
I have it running on both 32-bit and 64-bit rigs and it runs very well on both, but I understand that's not the question you're asking.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
My issue: CM is a great real-time/turn based tactical strategy game. I think the combat mechanics and weapons/equipment modeling have far surpassed Close Combat - very long ago. However, I think the game plays poorly, has extremely low FPS, and is very clunky even on high-end systems. IE - large maps with forests and lots of shrubbery.
I should backtrack here and say that graphics are not my #1 priority in a game - in fact, most of the games that occupy my hard drive are Novalogic games from the 1990's. I don't play them because they look pretty, but because they run exceptionally well on my gaming rig....and they're awesome games.
I am becoming curious what your system specs are, Apocalypse. :)
Novalogic games were a prime example of graphics over realism back in the day; always on the frontline of some new cool terrain engine or graphical hurrah, but always light on realism. More action oriented arcade style games -> Comanche and Delta Force come to mind.
I might not be relevant here, nor your point, or I might read you wrong, but if those games are what you really like, then I can see where something like CMx2 don't really click with you.
I sure hope those Novalogic games run insanely well on recent systems from a performance perspective, by the way. :) They're over 14 years old! Assuming you can get them to run on newer OS's. :D
On a different note; I think the vehicle models in all CMx2 games are top notch!
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on November 01, 2014, 02:09:34 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on November 01, 2014, 11:54:11 AM
I honestly don't know, although I suspect not.
I have it running on both 32-bit and 64-bit rigs and it runs very well on both, but I understand that's not the question you're asking.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
My issue: CM is a great real-time/turn based tactical strategy game. I think the combat mechanics and weapons/equipment modeling have far surpassed Close Combat - very long ago. However, I think the game plays poorly, has extremely low FPS, and is very clunky even on high-end systems. IE - large maps with forests and lots of shrubbery.
I should backtrack here and say that graphics are not my #1 priority in a game - in fact, most of the games that occupy my hard drive are Novalogic games from the 1990's. I don't play them because they look pretty, but because they run exceptionally well on my gaming rig....and they're awesome games.
Alarms bells are ringing about your system specs
If you haven't got a high end machine, who are you quoting when you say it's clunky on high end machines ? If you do have one and it doesn't work then you need to be looking at drivers and other issues
Since I am not member at BFC, I can't lodge a complaint. But take look at this post by a long time forum member...
http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1562353&postcount=257
I would hope that someone from BFC would step in the ban tool and fix this guy.
I think that might be a sad attempt to be funny and sound like a drill sergeant as a way to get someone to join him in a pbem game.
I have said it before...some of BFC's supporters make BFC just plain look bad. If I owned a company and one of my customers used that term, I would ask them to leave immediately.
It has been at least 20 years since that term was even close to being acceptable. Either the guy has VERY poor judgement or just some half demented old fart who shouldn't be allowed to drive or post.
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 01, 2014, 04:21:03 PM
Alarms bells are ringing about your system specs
If you haven't got a high end machine, who are you quoting when you say it's clunky on high end machines ? If you do have one and it doesn't work then you need to be looking at drivers and other issues
Windows 7
GeForce GTX 770 (@ 4gig)
i7-4770K @ 3.5ghz (8 CPU)
16gig RAM
I can run ARMA 3 on Ultra with no issues, and I can play anything on the market with no issues.
Edit - Admittedly I haven't played CM 3.0, which is why I'm asking questions about the performance. I can load up Shock Force right now and look at something reaally ugly and clunky. I can deal with the ugly part (I play Novalogic games) but the clunky part has no excuse.
Quote from: RyanE on November 01, 2014, 07:57:04 PM
I have said it before...some of BFC's supporters make BFC just plain look bad. If I owned a company and one of my customers used that term, I would ask them to leave immediately.
It has been at least 20 years since that term was even close to being acceptable. Either the guy has VERY poor judgement or just some half demented old fart who shouldn't be allowed to drive or post.
Agree'd, but its from a movie quote.
See the link: Predator, helicopter scene, Jesse Ventura
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on November 01, 2014, 08:44:51 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 01, 2014, 04:21:03 PM
Alarms bells are ringing about your system specs
If you haven't got a high end machine, who are you quoting when you say it's clunky on high end machines ? If you do have one and it doesn't work then you need to be looking at drivers and other issues
Windows 7
GeForce GTX 770 (@ 4gig)
i7-4770K @ 3.5ghz (8 CPU)
16gig RAM
I can run ARMA 3 on Ultra with no issues, and I can play anything on the market with no issues.
Edit - Admittedly I haven't played CM 3.0, which is why I'm asking questions about the performance. I can load up Shock Force right now and look at something reaally ugly and clunky. I can deal with the ugly part (I play Novalogic games) but the clunky part has no excuse.
Only way to know if version 3.0 works better for you is to try it on your own machine.....demo is available which should give you a good idea if any improvements for you.
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=332&Itemid=572
Personally, I don't experience any real performance issues on my machine, which is pretty close to your specs, if not even a little less.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 01, 2014, 08:52:57 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on November 01, 2014, 08:44:51 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 01, 2014, 04:21:03 PM
Alarms bells are ringing about your system specs
If you haven't got a high end machine, who are you quoting when you say it's clunky on high end machines ? If you do have one and it doesn't work then you need to be looking at drivers and other issues
Windows 7
GeForce GTX 770 (@ 4gig)
i7-4770K @ 3.5ghz (8 CPU)
16gig RAM
I can run ARMA 3 on Ultra with no issues, and I can play anything on the market with no issues.
Edit - Admittedly I haven't played CM 3.0, which is why I'm asking questions about the performance. I can load up Shock Force right now and look at something reaally ugly and clunky. I can deal with the ugly part (I play Novalogic games) but the clunky part has no excuse.
Only way to know if version 3.0 works better for you is to try it on your own machine.....demo is available which should give you a good idea if any improvements for you.
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=332&Itemid=572
Personally, I don't experience any real performance issues on my machine, which is pretty close to your specs, if not even a little less.
I've got a cheap $387 laptop and play with no in game issues on the Best setting. I do understand that not everyone gets that though. I have an AMD Radeon HD 7340 and 4 gigs of RAM. The only issue I have is loading. Load times are very long compared to my old desktop and during loading the screen now goes black for most of the load. Once in game it is very smooth at the highest settings.
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on November 01, 2014, 08:49:00 PM
Quote from: RyanE on November 01, 2014, 07:57:04 PM
I have said it before...some of BFC's supporters make BFC just plain look bad. If I owned a company and one of my customers used that term, I would ask them to leave immediately.
It has been at least 20 years since that term was even close to being acceptable. Either the guy has VERY poor judgement or just some half demented old fart who shouldn't be allowed to drive or post.
Agree'd, but its from a movie quote.
See the link: Predator, helicopter scene, Jesse Ventura
I don't think that matters...you know what is acceptable speech and what isn't. Poor judgement.
Quote from: RyanE on November 01, 2014, 09:15:41 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on November 01, 2014, 08:49:00 PM
Quote from: RyanE on November 01, 2014, 07:57:04 PM
I have said it before...some of BFC's supporters make BFC just plain look bad. If I owned a company and one of my customers used that term, I would ask them to leave immediately.
It has been at least 20 years since that term was even close to being acceptable. Either the guy has VERY poor judgement or just some half demented old fart who shouldn't be allowed to drive or post.
Agree'd, but its from a movie quote.
See the link: Predator, helicopter scene, Jesse Ventura
I don't think that matters...you know what is acceptable speech and what isn't. Poor judgement.
Agreed. Unacceptable, and well out of context
Quote from: RyanE on November 01, 2014, 04:48:56 PM
Since I am not member at BFC, I can't lodge a complaint. But take look at this post by a long time forum member...
http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1562353&postcount=257
I would hope that someone from BFC would step in the ban tool and fix this guy.
Lol. Reminded me on why I don't play battlefront games anymore. My IP address is blocked in their forums. I asked them to lift it but they don't want to. [emoji36]
I love playing the game. But that comment right there, the fact he wasn't banned immediately, and the fact that it took eight hours for something to even be mentioned by someone official is why I haven't posted there in a decade. And to top it off, only a couple people posting seemed to have an issue with it.
I have pointed it out before that Steve has severe double standards for rules. It's his forum, but its very poor marketing to let your friends and beta testers come into discussions and do basically what they want to do to bait other posters. It just doesn't make BFC look good.
Think about all the angst the Ukraine subject created over there. Its drawing attention to BFC. What if some reporter came there looking for a story or info on how BFC saw Syria and Ukraine coming. They stumble on that thread and that will set the tone for the story.
Quote from: RyanE on November 02, 2014, 08:08:10 AM
I love playing the game. But that comment right there, the fact he wasn't banned immediately, and the fact that it took eight hours for something to even be mentioned by someone official is why I haven't posted there in a decade. And to top it off, only a couple people posting seemed to have an issue with it.
I have pointed it out before that Steve has severe double standards for rules. It's his forum, but its very poor marketing to let your friends and beta testers come into discussions and do basically what they want to do to bait other posters. It just doesn't make BFC look good.
Think about all the angst the Ukraine subject created over there. Its drawing attention to BFC. What if some reporter came there looking for a story or info on how BFC saw Syria and Ukraine coming. They stumble on that thread and that will set the tone for the story.
First of all, it was a bad post and in bad taste and I would never would condone it myself. But you really seem to find all the bad aspects of BFC and take them to task for it over here in this forum over and over again. If you have such major issues with their DRM and the way they manage their forums or anything else for that matter, why not bring it up on their boards directly? I am sure you'll say you don't want to register for their boards because of the drama, but does seem like you spend a lot of time monitoring their activities over there anyway. They aren't going to come over to this board to monitor your feedback so if you want your voice to be heard, it seems like that is the place to do it. I know Elvis comes over here and tries to lend support which I have personally appreciated his willingness, but everytime he does you scold him on some topic and I would be surprised if he feels comfortable coming over here anymore.
I understand you dislike their DRM (and its not my favorite either) and how they manage their forums, but I am hoping more of the discussions can be about upcoming games or how the current games play, especially since you indicate you actually like the games. Before I opened this thread, I actually paused a second in doing it since I knew this thread would end up in this direction just like every past BFC thread but did it anyways since I thought the new game itself would be fun to discuss.
Now you and others may take me to task for this post, but just wanted to present a different view point on how some of this comes across.....
Quote from: RyanE on November 02, 2014, 08:08:10 AM
I love playing the game. But that comment right there, the fact he wasn't banned immediately, and the fact that it took eight hours for something to even be mentioned by someone official is why I haven't posted there in a decade. And to top it off, only a couple people posting seemed to have an issue with it.
I have pointed it out before that Steve has severe double standards for rules. It's his forum, but its very poor marketing to let your friends and beta testers come into discussions and do basically what they want to do to bait other posters. It just doesn't make BFC look good.
Think about all the angst the Ukraine subject created over there. Its drawing attention to BFC. What if some reporter came there looking for a story or info on how BFC saw Syria and Ukraine coming. They stumble on that thread and that will set the tone for the story.
all posters are viewed on their history and are not subject to knee jerk bans, if you read on hes received a PM from Steve that im sure will highlight the error of his ways
youll find a large majority of the beta testers dont post on the main forum, they have their own, but if and when their knowledge or expertise is needed Steve occassionally asks them to go out and sort a few problems
Here's a one-minute clip of CMRT I grabbed during a solo game I was playing yesterday. My game is modded to use vehicle skins with more detailed textures and effects, and I've added a mod that makes foliage translucent when close so I can see without turning off trees. All settings are on their highest and shadows are on.
Does version 3.0 add Flamethrowers? Is that why it is required for the vehicle pack?
Yes, 3.0 added flame weapons and a number of the vehicles in the pack are flame tanks.
And, let me tell you, when you hear the sound of those damned things -- they make a very distinctive noise -- it will send you scurrying to find those of your troops that are having a very, very bad day...
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)