Combat Mission: Black Sea Article - Out by End of Year

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 25, 2014, 01:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Cyrano on November 01, 2014, 11:54:11 AM
I honestly don't know, although I suspect not.

I have it running on both 32-bit and 64-bit rigs and it runs very well on both, but I understand that's not the question you're asking.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

My issue: CM is a great real-time/turn based tactical strategy game. I think the combat mechanics and weapons/equipment modeling have far surpassed Close Combat - very long ago. However, I think the game plays poorly, has extremely low FPS, and is very clunky even on high-end systems. IE - large maps with forests and lots of shrubbery.

I should backtrack here and say that graphics are not my #1 priority in a game - in fact, most of the games that occupy my hard drive are Novalogic games from the 1990's. I don't play them because they look pretty, but because they run exceptionally well on my gaming rig....and they're awesome games.

Yskonyn

I am becoming curious what your system specs are, Apocalypse. :)

Novalogic games were a prime example of graphics over realism back in the day; always on the frontline of some new cool terrain engine or graphical hurrah, but always light on realism. More action oriented arcade style games -> Comanche and Delta Force come to mind.
I might not be relevant here, nor your point, or I might read you wrong, but if those games are what you really like, then I can see where something like CMx2 don't really click with you.

I sure hope those Novalogic games run insanely well on recent systems from a performance perspective, by the way. :) They're over 14 years old! Assuming you can get them to run on newer OS's. :D

On a different note; I think the vehicle models in all CMx2 games are top notch!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on November 01, 2014, 02:09:34 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on November 01, 2014, 11:54:11 AM
I honestly don't know, although I suspect not.

I have it running on both 32-bit and 64-bit rigs and it runs very well on both, but I understand that's not the question you're asking.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

My issue: CM is a great real-time/turn based tactical strategy game. I think the combat mechanics and weapons/equipment modeling have far surpassed Close Combat - very long ago. However, I think the game plays poorly, has extremely low FPS, and is very clunky even on high-end systems. IE - large maps with forests and lots of shrubbery.

I should backtrack here and say that graphics are not my #1 priority in a game - in fact, most of the games that occupy my hard drive are Novalogic games from the 1990's. I don't play them because they look pretty, but because they run exceptionally well on my gaming rig....and they're awesome games.

Alarms bells are ringing about your system specs

If you haven't got a high end machine, who are you quoting when you say it's clunky on high end machines ? If you do have one and it doesn't work then you need to be looking at drivers and other issues

RyanE

Since I am not member at BFC, I can't lodge a complaint.  But take look at this post by a long time forum member...

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1562353&postcount=257

I would hope that someone from BFC would step in the ban tool and fix this guy.

Staggerwing

I think that might be a sad attempt to be funny and sound like a drill sergeant as a way to get someone to join him in a pbem game.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

RyanE

I have said it before...some of BFC's supporters make BFC just plain look bad.  If I owned a company and one of my customers used that term, I would ask them to leave immediately.

It has been at least 20 years since that term was even close to being acceptable.  Either the guy has VERY poor judgement or just some half demented old fart who shouldn't be allowed to drive or post.

Apocalypse 31

#111
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 01, 2014, 04:21:03 PM
Alarms bells are ringing about your system specs

If you haven't got a high end machine, who are you quoting when you say it's clunky on high end machines ? If you do have one and it doesn't work then you need to be looking at drivers and other issues

Windows 7
GeForce GTX 770 (@ 4gig)
i7-4770K @ 3.5ghz (8 CPU)
16gig RAM

I can run ARMA 3 on Ultra with no issues, and I can play anything on the market with no issues.

Edit - Admittedly I haven't played CM 3.0, which is why I'm asking questions about the performance. I can load up Shock Force right now and look at something reaally ugly and clunky. I can deal with the ugly part (I play Novalogic games) but the clunky part has no excuse.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: RyanE on November 01, 2014, 07:57:04 PM
I have said it before...some of BFC's supporters make BFC just plain look bad.  If I owned a company and one of my customers used that term, I would ask them to leave immediately.

It has been at least 20 years since that term was even close to being acceptable.  Either the guy has VERY poor judgement or just some half demented old fart who shouldn't be allowed to drive or post.

Agree'd, but its from a movie quote.

See the link: Predator, helicopter scene, Jesse Ventura

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on November 01, 2014, 08:44:51 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 01, 2014, 04:21:03 PM
Alarms bells are ringing about your system specs

If you haven't got a high end machine, who are you quoting when you say it's clunky on high end machines ? If you do have one and it doesn't work then you need to be looking at drivers and other issues

Windows 7
GeForce GTX 770 (@ 4gig)
i7-4770K @ 3.5ghz (8 CPU)
16gig RAM

I can run ARMA 3 on Ultra with no issues, and I can play anything on the market with no issues.

Edit - Admittedly I haven't played CM 3.0, which is why I'm asking questions about the performance. I can load up Shock Force right now and look at something reaally ugly and clunky. I can deal with the ugly part (I play Novalogic games) but the clunky part has no excuse.

Only way to know if version 3.0 works better for you is to try it on your own machine.....demo is available which should give you a good idea if any improvements for you.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=332&Itemid=572

Personally, I don't experience any real performance issues on my machine, which is pretty close to your specs, if not even a little less.

Elvis

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 01, 2014, 08:52:57 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on November 01, 2014, 08:44:51 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 01, 2014, 04:21:03 PM
Alarms bells are ringing about your system specs

If you haven't got a high end machine, who are you quoting when you say it's clunky on high end machines ? If you do have one and it doesn't work then you need to be looking at drivers and other issues

Windows 7
GeForce GTX 770 (@ 4gig)
i7-4770K @ 3.5ghz (8 CPU)
16gig RAM

I can run ARMA 3 on Ultra with no issues, and I can play anything on the market with no issues.

Edit - Admittedly I haven't played CM 3.0, which is why I'm asking questions about the performance. I can load up Shock Force right now and look at something reaally ugly and clunky. I can deal with the ugly part (I play Novalogic games) but the clunky part has no excuse.

Only way to know if version 3.0 works better for you is to try it on your own machine.....demo is available which should give you a good idea if any improvements for you.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=332&Itemid=572

Personally, I don't experience any real performance issues on my machine, which is pretty close to your specs, if not even a little less.

I've got a cheap $387 laptop and play with no in game issues on the Best setting. I do understand that not everyone gets that though. I have an AMD Radeon HD 7340 and 4 gigs of RAM. The only issue I have is loading. Load times are very long compared to my old desktop and during loading the screen now goes black for most of the load. Once in game it is very smooth at the highest settings.

RyanE

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on November 01, 2014, 08:49:00 PM
Quote from: RyanE on November 01, 2014, 07:57:04 PM
I have said it before...some of BFC's supporters make BFC just plain look bad.  If I owned a company and one of my customers used that term, I would ask them to leave immediately.

It has been at least 20 years since that term was even close to being acceptable.  Either the guy has VERY poor judgement or just some half demented old fart who shouldn't be allowed to drive or post.

Agree'd, but its from a movie quote.

See the link: Predator, helicopter scene, Jesse Ventura

I don't think that matters...you know what is acceptable speech and what isn't.  Poor judgement.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: RyanE on November 01, 2014, 09:15:41 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on November 01, 2014, 08:49:00 PM
Quote from: RyanE on November 01, 2014, 07:57:04 PM
I have said it before...some of BFC's supporters make BFC just plain look bad.  If I owned a company and one of my customers used that term, I would ask them to leave immediately.

It has been at least 20 years since that term was even close to being acceptable.  Either the guy has VERY poor judgement or just some half demented old fart who shouldn't be allowed to drive or post.

Agree'd, but its from a movie quote.

See the link: Predator, helicopter scene, Jesse Ventura

I don't think that matters...you know what is acceptable speech and what isn't.  Poor judgement.

Agreed. Unacceptable, and well out of context

jomni

Quote from: RyanE on November 01, 2014, 04:48:56 PM
Since I am not member at BFC, I can't lodge a complaint.  But take look at this post by a long time forum member...

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1562353&postcount=257

I would hope that someone from BFC would step in the ban tool and fix this guy.
Lol. Reminded me on why I don't play battlefront games anymore. My IP address is blocked in their forums. I asked them to lift it but they don't want to. [emoji36]

RyanE

I love playing the game.  But that comment right there, the fact he wasn't banned immediately, and the fact that it took eight hours for something to even be mentioned by someone official is why I haven't posted there in a decade.  And to top it off, only a couple people posting seemed to have an issue with it.

I have pointed it out before that Steve has severe double standards for rules.  It's his forum, but its very poor marketing to let your friends and beta testers come into discussions and do basically what they want to do to bait other posters.  It just doesn't make BFC look good.

Think about all the angst the Ukraine subject created over there.  Its drawing attention to BFC.  What if some reporter came there looking for a story or info on how BFC saw Syria and Ukraine coming.  They stumble on that thread and that will set the tone for the story.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: RyanE on November 02, 2014, 08:08:10 AM
I love playing the game.  But that comment right there, the fact he wasn't banned immediately, and the fact that it took eight hours for something to even be mentioned by someone official is why I haven't posted there in a decade.  And to top it off, only a couple people posting seemed to have an issue with it.

I have pointed it out before that Steve has severe double standards for rules.  It's his forum, but its very poor marketing to let your friends and beta testers come into discussions and do basically what they want to do to bait other posters.  It just doesn't make BFC look good.

Think about all the angst the Ukraine subject created over there.  Its drawing attention to BFC.  What if some reporter came there looking for a story or info on how BFC saw Syria and Ukraine coming.  They stumble on that thread and that will set the tone for the story.

First of all, it was a bad post and in bad taste and I would never would condone it myself.  But you really seem to find all the bad aspects of BFC and take them to task for it over here in this forum over and over again.  If you have such major issues with their DRM and the way they manage their forums or anything else for that matter, why not bring it up on their boards directly?  I am sure you'll say you don't want to register for their boards because of the drama, but does seem like you spend a lot of time monitoring their activities over there anyway.  They aren't going to come over to this board to monitor your feedback so if you want your voice to be heard, it seems like that is the place to do it.  I know Elvis comes over here and tries to lend support which I have personally appreciated his willingness, but everytime he does you scold him on some topic and I would be surprised if he feels comfortable coming over here anymore.

I understand you dislike their DRM (and its not my favorite either) and how they manage their forums, but I am hoping more of the discussions can be about upcoming games or how the current games play, especially since you indicate you actually like the games.  Before I opened this thread, I actually paused a second in doing it since I knew this thread would end up in this direction just like every past BFC thread but did it anyways since I thought the new game itself would be fun to discuss.

Now you and others may take me to task for this post, but just wanted to present a different view point on how some of this comes across.....