GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Huw the Poo on October 28, 2014, 02:27:59 AM

Title: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 28, 2014, 02:27:59 AM
This will make some of you happy! (http://www.gog.com/forum/general/tomorrows_lucasart_releases_confimed_so_far/page1)

Confirmed so far:

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: TiE Fighter: Special Edition
Star Wars: XWing: Special Edition
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Sam and Max Hit the Road


It looks like this leaked a little early.  Apparently the initial lineup will consist of 30 games. :)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: undercovergeek on October 28, 2014, 02:42:49 AM
It predates my pc gaming so I missed it, but from what I've read there's going to be a crazy dash for x wing and tie fighter
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 28, 2014, 02:57:13 AM
XWing was great.  TiE Fighter was fantastic.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Anguille on October 28, 2014, 03:59:35 AM
I loved Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis...going to get this...

Also hope for Rebellion (the 4x game)...
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Grim.Reaper on October 28, 2014, 04:15:00 AM
Another article on it and suggests will be $10 and available soon.

http://kotaku.com/x-wing-tie-fighter-are-finally-getting-digital-re-rele-1651470045

I have always wanted to play these again, but all my recent "old" game purchases have really not gone well so not sure if I will pick these up or not...tempting for sure.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Staggerwing on October 28, 2014, 05:19:24 AM
Here's hoping Secret weapons of the Luftwaffe is one of the releases. The graphics might be horrible now but it had a great campaign. Two of them, AAMOF.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 28, 2014, 05:25:15 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 28, 2014, 02:57:13 AM
XWing was great.  TiE Fighter was fantastic.
Absolutely. I might even go retro for those bad boys.  O0
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 28, 2014, 05:32:44 AM
So are they released in 3 hours?

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FMisc%2FSnap5_zps649aaae9.jpg&hash=08c2d83dd8865e3f458f136098a1d691f06906f7)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: PAK on October 28, 2014, 05:39:36 AM
TIE Fighter and X-Wing? Jesus, I will brake more joysticks....  :o
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: bbmike on October 28, 2014, 05:43:54 AM
Nice! I spent a lot of time with X-Wing back in the day.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: republic on October 28, 2014, 06:27:56 AM
I hope they do X-Wing Alliance as well.  I had a broken 2nd disk and so I never got to finish that one.   :\
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 28, 2014, 06:32:15 AM
This is very good news and something GOG desperately needed in order to stay relevant. Good for them!
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Greybriar on October 28, 2014, 06:34:19 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 28, 2014, 06:32:15 AM
This is very good news and something GOG desperately needed in order to stay relevant. Good for them!

Agreed!  O0
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: tgb on October 28, 2014, 07:35:08 AM
Quote from: Anguille on October 28, 2014, 03:59:35 AM


Also hope for Rebellion (the 4x game)...

I would sell my sister to Al Quaeda for a copy of Rebellion that ran in Win 8 /8.1
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Gusington on October 28, 2014, 07:51:18 AM
I will finally be able to play X Wing and TIE Fighter!! I too hope for a re-release of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe as well. Just to be clear, these games are being released in their original state, correct? Not remastered or updated in any way?
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Shelldrake on October 28, 2014, 07:55:57 AM
Quote from: Gusington on October 28, 2014, 07:51:18 AM
I will finally be able to play X Wing and TIE Fighter!! I too hope for a re-release of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe as well. Just to be clear, these games are being released in their original state, correct? Not remastered or updated in any way?

Great news! TIE Fighter is not to be missed! You will love it Gus.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Gusington on October 28, 2014, 07:58:17 AM
It's been what...like 20 plus years that I have been wanting to play! Joyous day!
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 28, 2014, 08:06:54 AM
Gus, GOG will have updated it to ensure it runs on modern systems.  That's why it's usually better to buy old games from them.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 28, 2014, 08:24:48 AM
Quote from: tgb on October 28, 2014, 07:35:08 AM
Quote from: Anguille on October 28, 2014, 03:59:35 AM

Also hope for Rebellion (the 4x game)...

I would sell my sister to Al Quaeda for a copy of Rebellion that ran in Win 8 /8.1

I run Rebellion in Win 8.1 just fine.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Nefaro on October 28, 2014, 08:30:20 AM
Quote from: Anguille on October 28, 2014, 03:59:35 AM


Also hope for [Star Wars] Rebellion (the 4x game)...


I would purchase this again in digital format.   O0

I think the British version had a different name.



IIRC, some of the old Disk Check DRM has fits on modern OSes.  So I'd rather have a DRM-free version for the future.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 28, 2014, 08:45:00 AM
Looks like it's going live in 20 minutes
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FMisc%2FSnap6_zps5eb1616b.jpg&hash=816f389ce2e4208d078e91dee60c4e3cdb2877ac)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Anguille on October 28, 2014, 08:48:41 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 28, 2014, 08:30:20 AM
Quote from: Anguille on October 28, 2014, 03:59:35 AM


Also hope for [Star Wars] Rebellion (the 4x game)...


I would purchase this again in digital format.   O0

I think the British version had a different name.



IIRC, some of the old Disk Check DRM has fits on modern OSes.  So I'd rather have a DRM-free version for the future.

Indeed...Supremacy ;)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Nefaro on October 28, 2014, 08:55:43 AM
Quote from: Anguille on October 28, 2014, 08:48:41 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 28, 2014, 08:30:20 AM
Quote from: Anguille on October 28, 2014, 03:59:35 AM


Also hope for [Star Wars] Rebellion (the 4x game)...


I would purchase this again in digital format.   O0

I think the British version had a different name.



IIRC, some of the old Disk Check DRM has fits on modern OSes.  So I'd rather have a DRM-free version for the future.

Indeed...Supremacy ;)


Hrmmm..

Star Wars: Supremacy?  That may imply that the British are prone to playing as the Empire.  Perhaps that makes sense since all the Imperials had British accents.  :P
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: tgb on October 28, 2014, 09:08:06 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 28, 2014, 08:24:48 AM
Quote from: tgb on October 28, 2014, 07:35:08 AM
Quote from: Anguille on October 28, 2014, 03:59:35 AM

Also hope for Rebellion (the 4x game)...

I would sell my sister to Al Quaeda for a copy of Rebellion that ran in Win 8 /8.1

I run Rebellion in Win 8.1 just fine.

Really?  I haven't tried it in 8.1, but the last time I tried it in 8 it took a ton of tweaking just to get it to run upside down!  Maybe I should dig the old disk up.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: sandman2575 on October 28, 2014, 09:56:56 AM
I spent so much obsessed time on Tie Fighter that I remember my little brother getting hold of a resume I was working on at the time, and adding under "Qualifications" something like, "Imperial Pilot, Member of the Emperor's Elite Secret Circle, 5th Level"

;D

I don't think I could go back to it, though.  With the single exception of Baldur's Gate II, I've found every 'good old game' I've tried to return to extremely disappointing.  Don't want to spoil the good memories.

Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 28, 2014, 10:09:28 AM
I had to edit my previous posts.  In the initial release there seemed to be quite a bit of confusion about which versions of the game were left out. 

It should be noted that the Collectors CD-ROM Version of TIE Fighter is not included. 

The CD-Rom version includes the enhanced graphics, but also has the dynamic midi soundtrack.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Greybriar on October 28, 2014, 11:28:07 AM
Lucasfilm Classics now on GOG.com! (http://www.gog.com/newsletter/lucas-notification?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=game_subject&utm_campaign=lucasfilm_games_come_to_gogcom)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Nefaro on October 28, 2014, 01:34:47 PM
You can vote for adding Star Wars Rebellion on the GOG wishlist here:

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/star_wars_rebellion
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: republic on October 28, 2014, 01:39:59 PM
I still have my Rebellion cd in its original jewel case.  I loved that game and played the heck out o fit.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Nefaro on October 28, 2014, 01:46:31 PM
Quote from: republic on October 28, 2014, 01:39:59 PM
I still have my Rebellion cd in its original jewel case.  I loved that game and played the heck out o fit.

From what I understand you can get it to work if you copy certain files over from the disk,  perhaps drop a certain dll file into your system, and get a No-CD crack because the old disk check DRM can make it screw up or crash on modern OSes.  What a pain.  I'd rather just pay GOG for the final version that works right out of the digital box.  :)

I still have the manual and the big poster with all the ship types.  While good games were few and far between back then, some of the fluff in the physical copies were supertastic.  O0
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 28, 2014, 02:05:38 PM
Sod it...I'm going to give Tie Fighter a go.

Normally I don't "go back" and I don't like bad graphics - but I do have very fond memories these two titles. Maybe it'll stick. It's only £7. I could skip lunch tomorrow and save that...I won't, but I could  ;D
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Gusington on October 28, 2014, 02:26:34 PM
Refreshingly honest.

Speaking of great manuals, anyone remember the Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe or Battle of Britain manuals? Sigh...gems of distant age.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: PanzersEast on October 28, 2014, 02:32:39 PM
For me I have had a resurgence of playing older games as of late.  I was either too young to play them or appreciate them.  If you look around, there are a lot of retro/through back games using the 8-bit/pixelation art style.  Don't be fooled, even though the graphics are "out dated", the substance and gameplay are on-par or exceed some of the titles today.  Some really good times to be had at a very cheap price!

PE
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 28, 2014, 03:05:24 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on October 28, 2014, 02:32:39 PM
For me I have had a resurgence of playing older games as of late.  I was either too young to play them or appreciate them.  If you look around, there are a lot of retro/through back games using the 8-bit/pixelation art style.  Don't be fooled, even though the graphics are "out dated", the substance and gameplay are on-par or exceed some of the titles today.  Some really good times to be had at a very cheap price!

PE
I know PE - but I just don't have the gaming time to devote to something that doesn't cut it graphically. It's not that graphics are the be all and end all alone (though they are admittedly extremely important to me) - but some (a lot) the games I have which are graphically superior are also great games and enjoyable - meaning I just don't have the time to allow these older looking titles into my gaming life and no desire to allow them in because - well...without graphics and me with games that are very enjoyable with great graphics...where's the need to do so?

Tie Fighter (and maybe X-Wing) are only really being given a shout because I remember them so fondly.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: PanzersEast on October 28, 2014, 03:12:23 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 28, 2014, 03:05:24 PM
I know PE - but I just don't have the gaming time to devote to something that doesn't cut it graphically. It's not that graphics are the be all and end all alone (though they are admittedly extremely important to me) - but some (a lot) the games I have which are graphically superior are also great games and enjoyable - meaning I just don't have the time to allow these older looking titles into my gaming life and no desire to allow them in because - well...without graphics and me with games that are very enjoyable with great graphics...where's the need to do so?

Tie Fighter (and maybe X-Wing) are only really being given a shout because I remember them so fondly.

I know where you are coming from.... with limited time you really have to maximized your playing time. I recently uninstalled a ton of crap from my HD that just was not going to get any play time... it was just want time but attrition caused me to remove them.  O0


PE
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: republic on October 28, 2014, 03:34:30 PM
I wish developers would see that with the success of GoG we don't need million dollar graphics fidelity and 100% accurate realism in order to make a fun game.  I've yet to find a flight sim that matches Red Baron or Aces of the Pacific/Over Europe as far as enjoyability.  There is such a deep divide between arcade and simulation today.  There is no middle anymore.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Gusington on October 28, 2014, 07:22:51 PM
^Sing it, brother! Some arcadey titles more than scratch the itch for me, however. Like the newly redone Wings, which I am about to start. But in general I am constantly looking for that middle ground too, with ample atmosphere.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 01, 2014, 08:57:06 PM
So did anybody end up purchasing?  Any feedback on how it holds up on modern equipment?  I know the graphics won't be stellar, but any other gotchas you have experienced?  Although I know I will regret it in the end because these old games always fool me, thinking about giving Tie Fighter a go again.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 01, 2014, 09:33:10 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 28, 2014, 02:57:13 AM
XWing was great.  TiE Fighter was fantastic.

if there was EVER a game that deserved a modern reboot its this one.  the campaign was amazing and the choices it gave you were great.  with modern programing..... it makes me shudder and makes Gus's loins more moist then Niagara.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 01, 2014, 09:37:07 PM
Welp, this is certainly news I missed this past week.

Wow. Just, wow.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 01, 2014, 09:46:56 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.best3690.idv.tw%2FM_Item_Image%2FA4130.jpg&hash=a97d9442e229b03097e51f31c0ef6b2e4a7e8563)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 01, 2014, 10:46:01 PM
I got it but the 98 version won't run because it requires a joystick and the game does not detect my x55 rhino. What the heck.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 01, 2014, 10:52:19 PM
perhaps your "rhino" is to big.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 01, 2014, 11:02:07 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 01, 2014, 10:46:01 PM
I got it but the 98 version won't run because it requires a joystick and the game does not detect my x55 rhino. What the heck.

That sucks....makes me concerned if mine would be detected, using a Thurstmaster nowadays, but have access to X52 as well.  I have seen people say xbox controller works, but likely not as optimal as a joystick.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 02, 2014, 02:23:11 AM
I got it and did fire it up but failed the first mission due to not knowing wtf the keys were.

It took me back right away and I have to say it wasn't an unpleasant experience.

and yeah...it won't run without a joystick which I thought was weird. It did however detect my x52, though again I didn't change the controls, so I couldn't fly properly our attack. I'll let you know more tonight when I get home.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 02, 2014, 04:22:59 AM
Thanks jd....that is the other thing I always read was how difficult the missions could be.  I already suck at most flight sims, if the difficulty is really tense, might be another factor.

I'll likely pickup anyway today since I would like to rekindle the Star Wars spirit.  So much more could have been done with this movie franchise, just amazing how much untapped potentional could have been.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 02, 2014, 05:56:08 AM
So I ended up purchasing Tie Fighter this morning so I eliminate the rebel scum....have to admit I am pretty impressed for an older game.  Of course the graphics are not modern day, but I have to say they are totally reasonable and workable in this sim, even with the low resolution.  The cockpit and functionality is very well laid out and makes it easy for me to track targets as they are in front and behind me.  The targeting computer is pretty cool and I like the fact there are preset keys that allow you to auto match the speed of your enemy.  I also really like the briefings and intros to the mission.  It does amaze me how nobody takes a great core concept like this game (and many other older games) and just build upon it versus trying to reinvent the wheel.  So far I have only used my xbox controller and actually worked reasonably well, although I may move to the joystick so I can get more use out of the buttons versus reaching for the keyboard all the time.

I have only completed the tutorial levels and some training missions so far, but so far totally worth the $9....I feel the force also moving me towards the purchase of x-wing so I can bring freedom to the galaxy as well:)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 02, 2014, 09:12:07 AM
All of these are on my radar now. SW Rebellion? I played that a lot back in the day. Loved playing the Empire and bringing the Rebellion to its knees! Especially loved it when I built my first Death Star and destroyed some Rebel villain planet. Boy did the rest of them not like that. :)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 02, 2014, 09:18:09 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 02, 2014, 09:12:07 AM
All of these are on my radar now. SW Rebellion? I played that a lot back in the day. Loved playing the Empire and bringing the Rebellion to its knees! Especially loved it when I built my first Death Star and destroyed some Rebel villain planet. Boy did the rest of them not like that. :)

I'd like to play Rebellion as well...never had a chance in the past.  Continuing to enjoy Tie Fighter, I think what makes it fun is the Star Wars theme music playing in the background...just gets the blood going!
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Ian C on November 02, 2014, 11:51:04 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 02, 2014, 05:56:08 AMIt does amaze me how nobody takes a great core concept like this game (and many other older games) and just build upon it versus trying to reinvent the wheel. 

Absolutely. All of these old great games deserve to be 'remastered', which is a current trend. I'm all for it. You're right, they don't need to change anything within the game, only how it's wrapped. Better graphics.

Quote

I'd like to play Rebellion as well

+1. 
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 02, 2014, 01:53:00 PM
Well ,didn't take me long to pick up xwing as well now:)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 02, 2014, 06:32:00 PM
one can find Rebellion easily.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Jack Nastyface on November 02, 2014, 08:00:57 PM
Bought X-wing on Friday.  Overall, I am impressed that the gameplay still stands-up after all these years.  Actually, I am finding some of the historical missions incredibly hard to beat.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Hot lead and dirty talk! on November 02, 2014, 08:06:13 PM
Quote from: republic on October 28, 2014, 03:34:30 PM
I wish developers would see that with the success of GoG we don't need million dollar graphics fidelity and 100% accurate realism in order to make a fun game.  I've yet to find a flight sim that matches Red Baron or Aces of the Pacific/Over Europe as far as enjoyability.  There is such a deep divide between arcade and simulation today.  There is no middle anymore.

I'm saying this is my best Rocky Balboa voice, " Absolutely."
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Ian C on November 03, 2014, 12:03:55 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 02, 2014, 06:32:00 PM
one can find Rebellion easily.

Perhaps. My disc died but I'd like a legit copy.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 03, 2014, 12:59:47 PM
here ya go:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/17452131780615595352?q=star+wars+rebellion&client=firefox-a&hs=5kN&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=nts&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.78677474,d.eXY&biw=1355&bih=810&tch=1&ech=1&psi=ZMJXVLaQFYmfNuyYgPAJ.1415037521621.3&prds=paur:ClkAsKraXxlASdbCkfzsTbsnyEEfXETvkC_hwZJONSBvpu-Dd0DVi7aWPie4NdJNhZf5M6tseW2_P7J-wAlWW7U78VjKhdKnWVIRXhg5DAuupE-7DhNr2w8OwhIZAFPVH715n-BuKcDQHb-hHm6j2QiINEn7cg&ei=ZsJXVNWYDoregwTq-IGADQ&ved=0COIBEKYrMAU
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 03, 2014, 01:00:55 PM
Who the hell sells this for a hundred bucks plus shipping?!?  ::)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 03, 2014, 01:07:57 PM
it says $48 and $32.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 03, 2014, 01:24:32 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 03, 2014, 01:07:57 PM
it says $48 and $32.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1175.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fr624%2FMichaelE6%2FRebScn.jpg&hash=9ce6b7921f086c6866f2619f54605fb77148f285)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Shelldrake on November 03, 2014, 03:40:12 PM
^ Watch the price drop once GOG releases it for $10!
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Nefaro on November 03, 2014, 05:19:06 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on November 03, 2014, 03:40:12 PM
^ Watch the price drop once GOG releases it for $10!


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reactiongifs.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F11%2Fexcited.gif&hash=ca18782394a9cac9630716411acc9ad1a492f679)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: smittyohio on November 03, 2014, 05:34:59 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on November 03, 2014, 03:40:12 PM
^ Watch the price drop once GOG releases it for $10!

Just out of curiosity, has this game been modded into a decent state?  The original game got *horrible* reviews... Just wondering if it's gonna be another GOG game where the user ratings are completely out of whack with how good the game actually was back in the day.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: JasonPratt on November 03, 2014, 07:43:29 PM
Personally I take this as evidence that someone at Disney has decided to resurrect the games side of Lucasarts, and this is the first reasonable step.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Nefaro on November 03, 2014, 07:49:56 PM
Quote from: smittyohio on November 03, 2014, 05:34:59 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on November 03, 2014, 03:40:12 PM
^ Watch the price drop once GOG releases it for $10!

Just out of curiosity, has this game been modded into a decent state?  The original game got *horrible* reviews... Just wondering if it's gonna be another GOG game where the user ratings are completely out of whack with how good the game actually was back in the day.

I played it again back in '08 or '09.  It was still a lot of fun, despite the graphics obviously being outdated.  Those weren't even too bad except for the fleet battles sub-game.  The ships were always pretty tiny in that 3D space so they didn't have all that much resolution.

The reason Rebellion got bad reviews back in '99 was due to it's learning curve.  Between the varied facets, some unconventional GUI mechanics, and reading some parts of the manual being almost a requirement, the twitch strategy gamer crowd wasn't into it much.  Back then those types were all about playing Age Of Empires or any of a horde of typical Build & Swarm style RTSes that were the rage.  Not games where you had to calculate far ahead because sending your fleets into hyperspace meant you'd have to wait quite awhile before they came back out - with no recourse once they're sent. 
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 03, 2014, 08:33:00 PM
digging around it would seem that X-Wing Alliance got a pretty massive graphic overhaul a while back.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.moddb.com%2Fimages%2Fmods%2F1%2F11%2F10611%2FTIE_Defender_comparison.png&hash=65dd850b72d91814f5921d361e2fb53e7e3bce3a)

I also feel like Ive posted this info before.....
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 03, 2014, 08:34:22 PM
heres all 3 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-X-Wing-Trilogy-Alliance-Pc/dp/B000050I88
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: endfire79 on November 04, 2014, 12:09:15 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 03, 2014, 08:33:00 PM
digging around it would seem that X-Wing Alliance got a pretty massive graphic overhaul a while back.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.moddb.com%2Fimages%2Fmods%2F1%2F11%2F10611%2FTIE_Defender_comparison.png&hash=65dd850b72d91814f5921d361e2fb53e7e3bce3a)

I also feel like Ive posted this info before.....

Man, flying that thing around the Rebel fleet in Tie Fighter was sweet :)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Anguille on November 04, 2014, 04:13:22 AM
Quote from: smittyohio on November 03, 2014, 05:34:59 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on November 03, 2014, 03:40:12 PM
^ Watch the price drop once GOG releases it for $10!

Just out of curiosity, has this game been modded into a decent state?  The original game got *horrible* reviews... Just wondering if it's gonna be another GOG game where the user ratings are completely out of whack with how good the game actually was back in the day.

I guess the problem was that the game has a awfull interface, bad graphics in battles (with x-wing fighters flying backwards  ::)) , a huge manual and a steep learning curve (when you compare it to Birth of the Federation released the same year, you see why this hurts). Still...once you pass these, there's a really good 4x with lots of interesting stuff.

I have the disc but would still buy a GOG edition of it...
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Martok on November 04, 2014, 05:21:16 AM
Bah.  I'll take Empire at War over Rebellion/Supremacy any day of the week.  It's a lot prettier, and far less painful to learn how to play. 
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: bbmike on November 04, 2014, 06:08:25 AM
Quote from: Martok on November 04, 2014, 05:21:16 AM
Bah.  I'll take Empire at War over Rebellion/Supremacy any day of the week.  It's a lot prettier, and far less painful to learn how to play.

Hmm, I actually have that one in my Steam library!
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Shelldrake on November 04, 2014, 06:12:31 AM
The X-Wing Alliance graphics upgrade looks very nice - will have to find my disk and check it out!  :)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 06:48:11 AM
Quote from: Martok on November 04, 2014, 05:21:16 AM
Bah.  I'll take Empire at War over Rebellion/Supremacy any day of the week.  It's a lot prettier, and far less painful to learn how to play.

...and you call yourself a grog? Heresy! You should be burned at the stake. Empire at war is ok, but the only thing it has over rebellion is looks. That's it. Rebellion is a far superior wargame.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 04, 2014, 07:34:22 AM
Empire at War was pretty much Age of Empires in a Star Wars wrapper.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Rebellion was certainly a different game with a learning curve. I was so smitten with the ability to control the Empire, though, that I saw past that. Loved being able to capture Rebel scum heroes and slowly strangling the life out of their fledgling rebellion as planet after planet slowly fell under my Imperial might...sigh.  :smitten:

I do remember that I did that once. Once, as in, one game. That game probably took me close to 80 hours of gameplay. Movement was a chore as Nefaro stated; it took way too long. The Death Star was worse than a Houston driver going under the speed limit in the passing lane - that damn thing took forever to move to a new system. But once it did, the system became suitably scared. Using it, though, to destroy a planet meant a huge amount of Rebel support appearing throughout the galaxy, IIRC.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Martok on November 04, 2014, 07:42:55 AM
Hey, at least EaW possesses a halfway-decent combat system and a UI that doesn't feel like it's actively trying to thwart me (even if it is a much shallower game).  Sorry, but this is one instance in which I will cheerfully choose "shallow/pretty" in the name of getting to the fun quickly and easily; Rebellion was simply too frustrating to figure out for me to enjoy. 




Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 06:48:11 AM
...and you call yourself a grog? Heresy! You should be burned at the stake.
Mmm, steak.  Now I'm getting hungry again.  :D 

Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 04, 2014, 07:46:08 AM
Quote from: Martok on November 04, 2014, 07:42:55 AM
Hey, at least EaW possesses a halfway-decent combat system and a UI that doesn't feel like it's actively trying to thwart me (even if it is a much shallower game).  Sorry, but this is one instance in which I will cheerfully choose "shallow/pretty" in the name of getting to the fun quickly and easily; Rebellion was simply too frustrating to figure out for me to enjoy. 

Oh, I completely agree with you; don't get me wrong. Like I said, I played through Rebellion one time and was done with it. If it comes out on GOG I'll buy it again (eventually, probably months down the road), play through it one time, and be done with it again.

When I played Rebellion, I was without children and had a LOT of free time on my hands. Today, if I had a choice between Rebellion and EaW, it would be EaW, hands down, 90% of the time. Rebellion, you'd have to pick at slowly over a long period of time.

I wonder what the mod community might have done with Rebellion, and if GOG releases it if it will incorporate any of that.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 08:00:59 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 04, 2014, 07:34:22 AM
Empire at War was pretty much Age of Empires in a Star Wars wrapper.


You sure you're not thinking of Galactic Battleground? That series was pretty much a direct clone (see what I did there?) of the Age of Empires games. Empire at War was somewhat unique in that it had a turn based strategic layer and space fleet combat in addition to the traditional RTS game.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Martok on November 04, 2014, 08:30:12 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 04, 2014, 07:46:08 AM
Quote from: Martok on November 04, 2014, 07:42:55 AM
Hey, at least EaW possesses a halfway-decent combat system and a UI that doesn't feel like it's actively trying to thwart me (even if it is a much shallower game).  Sorry, but this is one instance in which I will cheerfully choose "shallow/pretty" in the name of getting to the fun quickly and easily; Rebellion was simply too frustrating to figure out for me to enjoy. 

Oh, I completely agree with you; don't get me wrong. Like I said, I played through Rebellion one time and was done with it. If it comes out on GOG I'll buy it again (eventually, probably months down the road), play through it one time, and be done with it again.

When I played Rebellion, I was without children and had a LOT of free time on my hands. Today, if I had a choice between Rebellion and EaW, it would be EaW, hands down, 90% of the time. Rebellion, you'd have to pick at slowly over a long period of time.

I wonder what the mod community might have done with Rebellion, and if GOG releases it if it will incorporate any of that.
Gah!  I was actually responding to Jarhead's post above yours (although I mostly concur with what you're saying).  :P 




Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 08:00:59 AM
Empire at War was somewhat unique in that it had a turn based strategic layer and space fleet combat in addition to the traditional RTS game.
I wish!  :buck2: 

Although admittedly, the game generally moves slowly enough on the strategic map that it isn't too big a deal. 

Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 04, 2014, 08:32:50 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 08:00:59 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 04, 2014, 07:34:22 AM
Empire at War was pretty much Age of Empires in a Star Wars wrapper.


You sure you're not thinking of Galactic Battleground? That series was pretty much a direct clone (see what I did there?) of the Age of Empires games. Empire at War was somewhat unique in that it had a turn based strategic layer and space fleet combat in addition to the traditional RTS game.

Hmm...perhaps I did think of that. Still, EaW reminds of me Age of Empires. Galactic Battleground wasn't as fun, IMO.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Ian C on November 04, 2014, 10:51:51 AM
Empire At War & Forces of Corruption plus the Xerox mod is one of the most fun Star wars games I've played. The ability to create skirmish maps vs the AI with the map editor is one of the better features and also that with a reasonably average graphics card, you can up everything on the settings to full.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Nefaro on November 04, 2014, 11:25:49 AM
Meh.

While Empire At War had an initial Ooo-Aww factor at the time, it quickly wore off once I started playing.  I also have it on Steam and never play it.  On the other hand, I probably put 60 to 80 hours into one Rebellion campaign as the Empire, alone, as Banzai Cat mentioned.  Actually finished it at least once and continued on.  Also played it on a LAN against a buddy back when it came out.  That was fun too, but took awhile.

SW Rebellion was pretty much a Total War style multi-layer grand strategy game that was around almost two years before Shogun TW was released.  The most notable exception being that the campaign layer was also in real-time.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 04, 2014, 07:16:08 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 28, 2014, 08:24:48 AM
Quote from: tgb on October 28, 2014, 07:35:08 AM
Quote from: Anguille on October 28, 2014, 03:59:35 AM

Also hope for Rebellion (the 4x game)...

I would sell my sister to Al Quaeda for a copy of Rebellion that ran in Win 8 /8.1

I run Rebellion in Win 8.1 just fine.

When you say it runs, did you have to make any tweaks or load some kind of mods, or did it work straight from the original install?
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 07:19:11 PM
^I'm pretty sure I had to tweak it a bit, but if I figured it out, anyone surely can. I do not recall it being complicated.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 04, 2014, 07:31:37 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 07:19:11 PM
^I'm pretty sure I had to tweak it a bit, but if I figured it out, anyone surely can. I do not recall it being complicated.

Great...thanks
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: endfire79 on November 04, 2014, 09:23:55 PM
for those playing TIE Fighter from GoG now, does it still allow you to play with a mouse?  Threw out my spare Logitech Wingman long time ago
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 09:30:58 PM
Quote from: endfire79 on November 04, 2014, 09:23:55 PM
for those playing TIE Fighter from GoG now, does it still allow you to play with a mouse?  Threw out my spare Logitech Wingman long time ago

The 1998 collector's edition requires a joystick.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 08:30:37 AM
I threw out my joystick a couple of years ago as it was old and unreliable. If I get these ten dollar games I'm going to have to splurge for a $30 USB joystick with a decent review. Christmas is coming I suppose...lol.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Boggit on November 05, 2014, 06:10:07 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 28, 2014, 05:19:24 AM
Here's hoping Secret weapons of the Luftwaffe is one of the releases. The graphics might be horrible now but it had a great campaign. Two of them, AAMOF.
+1 on that! I've got it - but on 5.25" disks, so not much good to me now. Their Battle of Britain, and the Pacific War games were also a lot of fun back in the day.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Staggerwing on November 05, 2014, 07:06:34 PM
Quote from: Boggit on November 05, 2014, 06:10:07 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 28, 2014, 05:19:24 AM
Here's hoping Secret weapons of the Luftwaffe is one of the releases. The graphics might be horrible now but it had a great campaign. Two of them, AAMOF.
+1 on that! I've got it - but on 5.25" disks, so not much good to me now. Their Battle of Britain, and the Pacific War games were also a lot of fun back in the day.

I had gotten the Air combat Classics collection when it first came out on 3.5 floppies. It had Battlehawks, Their finest Hour, and SWOTL. A few years ago I picked up the CD-ROM version of SWOTL because the floppies were getting fried but that version has no sound when I play. I'm hoping that the GOG's magic wrappers can get me back to listening to those haunting 8-bit tones while taking my Pixel-Wulf into battle against the endless hordes of Amerikaner Bitmap-Seventeens.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: steve58 on January 20, 2015, 09:12:43 AM
...Round 2 of Lucasfilm games released on GOG.com...and more to come.

Quote
Today, with great pride and joy, we're excited to announce Wave II of Lucasfilm games on GOG.com! Starting right now, six new Star Wars™ classics are available in our DRM-free Lucasfilm/Disney catalog. This includes three amazing titles available, for the first time in digital distribution, exclusively on GOG.com:

Star Wars™: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
Star Wars™: X-Wing Alliance™
Star Wars™ Galactic Battlegrounds Saga

We're also celebrating the DRM-free release of these Star Wars™ games with a 72-hour 20% launch discount:

Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II
Star Wars™: Dark Forces
Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II: The Sith Lords™

Just in case you missed your chance last time, you can grab three more Lucasfilm classics for the same 20% discount, until Friday, January 30, at 1:59 PM GMT!

Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™
Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis™
The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition

Our Lucasfilm/Disney is made that much more impressive today thanks to our team-up with ©Disney Interactive. The 6 new Star Wars™ releases, which include 3 digital premieres exclusively on GOG.com, are barely the beginning. We're not saying more right now, but we know the wait will be worth it for six great reasons - keep watching the front page and stay tuned for more exciting Lucasfilm titles releasing on GOG.com when the timer strikes zero!

Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: RedArgo on January 20, 2015, 09:37:29 AM
I played the Tie Fighter and X-Wing games and loved those originally, but I never played Tie Fighter vs X-Wing or X-Wing Alliance, what's the difference between those and, if I was to get one, would it be better to get these or go back to the originals?
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Bison on January 20, 2015, 09:40:27 AM
This is all well and good, but gog continues to thumb it's nose at bringing my favorite early rpgs back to life.  Come on where's the AD&D Gold Box series!
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Anguille on January 20, 2015, 10:09:51 AM
Star Wars™ Galactic Battlegrounds Saga

Nice game...look forward to play it on my netbook.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Shelldrake on January 20, 2015, 10:13:52 AM
Still no Star Wars: Rebellion.  :(
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Anguille on January 20, 2015, 10:18:15 AM
Quote from: Shelldrake on January 20, 2015, 10:13:52 AM
Still no Star Wars: Rebellion.  :(

There will be second group of games this week.  ;)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 20, 2015, 10:20:39 AM
SW: Rebellion disappointed me...sure, you can destroy planets with your Death Star, but it pisses off the locals in the same system and makes them more Rebellion-prone rather than putting them in line like the cowards they are. Also you can't commit mass atrocities with your Stormtrooper legions. :(
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Uberhaus on January 20, 2015, 10:50:08 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 20, 2015, 10:20:39 AM
Also you can't commit mass atrocities with your Stormtrooper legions. :(
You want mass atrocities.  Be careful what you wish for:

Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 20, 2015, 11:04:16 AM
Well, I was joking...kinda.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Nefaro on January 20, 2015, 01:20:56 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 20, 2015, 10:20:39 AM
SW: Rebellion disappointed me...sure, you can destroy planets with your Death Star, but it pisses off the locals in the same system and makes them more Rebellion-prone rather than putting them in line like the cowards they are. Also you can't commit mass atrocities with your Stormtrooper legions. :(


Killing Jawas is a service, not an atrocity.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Ian C on January 20, 2015, 01:36:14 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on January 20, 2015, 10:13:52 AM
Still no Star Wars: Rebellion.  :(


+1. Just waiting to see this GOG converted to be Win 7 friendly and then happy times.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: JasonPratt on January 20, 2015, 04:07:43 PM
Hm, aside from SW properties (and with Grim Fandango already on re-release), what Lucasart properties are we missing?

I for one would love to see a conversion of the PS2 game Gladius -- a fantasy gladiator tactical combat adventure (with a great soundtrack) sure to please any grog! (Sure I can play it on my spare PS2, if I go to the trouble of unpacking and setting it up, but...)

Doubt that will or even could possibly ever happen, sigh. If only the PS4 designers cared about backward compatibility. (Or the later PS3 designers.)

Otherwise... hm, was Outlaw GoG'd yet? Henry Fonda as the hero (instead of villain) of a FPS spaghetti western, using a slightly updated version of the original Dark Forces engine. Also an amazing soundtrack.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Staggerwing on January 20, 2015, 08:27:49 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on January 20, 2015, 04:07:43 PM
Hm, aside from SW properties (and with Grim Fandango already on re-release), what Lucasart properties are we missing?



Really?

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.museumofplay.org%2Fonline-collections%2Fimages%2FZ006%2FZ00626%2FZ0062638.jpg&hash=9128f03b338cccd00437ffa44a2042494d19cb29)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 20, 2015, 09:23:27 PM
I had great fun as the Empire in Rebellion. Tried to destroy an entire system of planets because one had a strong Rebel taint that had leaked out to the other planets - also to "just see" how many blown up planets it would take before the entire universe universally hated the Empire. Answer: It didn't take much. Bunch of spineless cretins.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Nefaro on January 20, 2015, 09:58:21 PM
The one Rebellion game in which I finished building the Death Star as the Empire ended before I used it.

I had a large fleet of star destroyers, interdictors, etc in hyperspace to a system in which I thought the Rebels could be hiding their fleet.  Death Star finished construction and I was busy deciding where I wanted to send it when my fleet arrives out of hyperspace.  I was correct!  Big fleet battle (and planetary assault?), but I won handily and the game was over before my 'lil techno-moon could blast some rebel scum into space dust.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: JasonPratt on January 21, 2015, 08:38:41 AM
Re: Swotl etc, oh, right, duh.  ::)

The release list today is X-wing vs Tie; X-wing Alliance; Battlegrounds Saga; Battlefront II; Kotor II; and Dark Forces 1.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 21, 2015, 09:10:29 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on January 21, 2015, 08:38:41 AM
Re: Swotl etc, oh, right, duh.  ::)

The release list today is X-wing vs Tie; X-wing Alliance; Battlegrounds Saga; Battlefront II; Kotor II; and Dark Forces 1.

That was the release list yesterday.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: JasonPratt on January 21, 2015, 03:59:10 PM
In my defense:

1.) I slept since our discussion yesterday.

2.) The email alert only arrived this morning and was dated for today.

3.) I have no defense.  :-[
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: DoctorQuest on January 21, 2015, 04:05:13 PM
Anyone else having problems getting a resolution change to take in X-Wing Alliance? I change it from 800x600 to anything and it does not seem to want to stick. I'm pretty sure I'm using valid resolutions for my vid card and monitor.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: endfire79 on January 21, 2015, 04:57:45 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 21, 2015, 04:05:13 PM
Anyone else having problems getting a resolution change to take in X-Wing Alliance? I change it from 800x600 to anything and it does not seem to want to stick. I'm pretty sure I'm using valid resolutions for my vid card and monitor.

I think you might have display issues with this game.  There have been some workarounds online for it, but I haven't tried or played this game in a long time.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_X-Wing_Alliance#Video_settings (http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_X-Wing_Alliance#Video_settings)

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/star-wars-x-wing-alliance (http://www.wsgf.org/dr/star-wars-x-wing-alliance)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 21, 2015, 05:39:13 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on January 21, 2015, 03:59:10 PM
In my defense:

1.) I slept since our discussion yesterday.

2.) The email alert only arrived this morning and was dated for today.

3.) I have no defense.  :-[

Its ok. Just don't post Thursday's list on Friday!  :2funny:
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: tgb on January 22, 2015, 09:11:32 AM
tgb does happy dance. (http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebellion)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Gusington on January 22, 2015, 09:16:34 AM
Is this a real reason to rejoice or can we not really go home again because the games are just too dated?
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Anguille on January 22, 2015, 09:23:50 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 22, 2015, 09:16:34 AM
Is this a real reason to rejoice or can we not really go home again because the games are just too dated?

STAR WARS™ Empire at War isn't that old.

Star Wars Rebellion will be a welcome addition to my netbooks collection of games... O0
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: tgb on January 22, 2015, 09:58:41 AM
There aren't a whole lot of games like Rebellion -character driven, licensed 4X.  BotF comes closest, I suppose, with the different races substituting for characters, but it still isn't the same.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: JasonPratt on January 22, 2015, 10:05:55 AM
I'm going to say this is a real reason to rejoice, because even if (some of) the games are just too dated, it's a sign Lucasgames intends to start back up making games again.

In other words, expect a modern X-wing and/or Tie game to be earning all the money sometime in the next few years. Maybe even modern upgrades or sequels to their adventure games or flight sims. MAYBE EVEN A MODERN PC VERSION OF GLADIUS!  :D
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 22, 2015, 10:12:53 AM
I'm tempted to get Rebellion. But I remember when I played through it before, as the Empire. It took me dozens of hours to finish the one game and when I was done I felt spent like Star after a weekend with a Miami Beach GILF. It requires a huge investment of time and while I found it rewarding at the time, I'm not sure I'd get the same amount of enjoyment now out of it. Hell, the last time I played it I didn't have kids, so I had nothing BUT time on my hands back then. Now, I've got a ton of Steam games I won't ever play.

(sigh) who the hell am I kidding, I'm sure I'll be getting it.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 10:30:42 AM
After seeing Star Wars Rebellion (http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebellion) finally showed up on GOG, I insta-purchased.  O0

The 3D fleet battles never looked very good, but it's strength has always been in the unique grand strategy part.  :)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: PAK on January 22, 2015, 10:38:35 AM
Didn't know there were so many add-ons for the SWOTL, wonder if GOG would be able to publish them all (hopefully in one package)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: JasonPratt on January 22, 2015, 11:16:27 AM
If you mean that screenshot upthread, those aren't add ons. SWOTL was an upgrade and repurposing of the engine from "Their Finest Hour" (sort of like "Bombing the Third Reich" from "Eagle Day"). I can't recall where the Pacific game came in that sequence, but it was also a standalone version of the engine.

If you mean something else, apparently I've slept since then. ;) (Swotl has add-ons? Why did I not remember that? Or ever get them?!)

If you're satirizing the modern propensity for add-ons compared to how things went back then...  >:D
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Tpek on January 22, 2015, 11:30:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 10:30:42 AM
After seeing Star Wars Rebellion (http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebellion) finally showed up on GOG, I insta-purchased.  O0

The 3D fleet battles never looked very good, but it's strength has always been in the unique grand strategy part.  :)

FTW!
I remember how I loved this game back in the day.

Though I'm saddened to see how much the game has aged since its release. :(
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: bbmike on January 22, 2015, 11:35:52 AM
Quote from: Tpek on January 22, 2015, 11:30:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 10:30:42 AM
After seeing Star Wars Rebellion (http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebellion) finally showed up on GOG, I insta-purchased.  O0

The 3D fleet battles never looked very good, but it's strength has always been in the unique grand strategy part.  :)

FTW!
I remember how I loved this game back in the day.

Though I'm saddened to see how much the game has aged since its release. :(

I guess I'm old but I don't think it looks that bad.  :D
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Barthheart on January 22, 2015, 11:36:17 AM
Quote from: Tpek on January 22, 2015, 11:30:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 10:30:42 AM
After seeing Star Wars Rebellion (http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebellion) finally showed up on GOG, I insta-purchased.  O0

The 3D fleet battles never looked very good, but it's strength has always been in the unique grand strategy part.  :)

FTW!
I remember how I loved this game back in the day.

Though I'm saddened to see how much the game has aged since its release. :(

Ummm... it's not the game that's aged......  ;)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Tpek on January 22, 2015, 12:33:59 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on January 22, 2015, 11:36:17 AM
Quote from: Tpek on January 22, 2015, 11:30:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 10:30:42 AM
After seeing Star Wars Rebellion (http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebellion) finally showed up on GOG, I insta-purchased.  O0

The 3D fleet battles never looked very good, but it's strength has always been in the unique grand strategy part.  :)

FTW!
I remember how I loved this game back in the day.

Though I'm saddened to see how much the game has aged since its release. :(

Ummm... it's not the game that's aged......  ;)

So true.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 12:56:46 PM
Quote from: bbmike on January 22, 2015, 11:35:52 AM
Quote from: Tpek on January 22, 2015, 11:30:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 10:30:42 AM
After seeing Star Wars Rebellion (http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebellion) finally showed up on GOG, I insta-purchased.  O0

The 3D fleet battles never looked very good, but it's strength has always been in the unique grand strategy part.  :)

FTW!
I remember how I loved this game back in the day.

Though I'm saddened to see how much the game has aged since its release. :(

I guess I'm old but I don't think it looks that bad.  :D


Doesn't look bad for something that came out in 1998.   

Now if we could just get WH40K: Chaos Gate on GOG, I'd have the '98 releases I most wanted.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Anguille on January 22, 2015, 03:45:56 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 12:56:46 PM
Quote from: bbmike on January 22, 2015, 11:35:52 AM
Quote from: Tpek on January 22, 2015, 11:30:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 10:30:42 AM
After seeing Star Wars Rebellion (http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebellion) finally showed up on GOG, I insta-purchased.  O0

The 3D fleet battles never looked very good, but it's strength has always been in the unique grand strategy part.  :)

FTW!
I remember how I loved this game back in the day.

Though I'm saddened to see how much the game has aged since its release. :(

I guess I'm old but I don't think it looks that bad.  :D


Doesn't look bad for something that came out in 1998.   

Now if we could just get WH40K: Chaos Gate on GOG, I'd have the '98 releases I most wanted.

Actually it does. Birth of the federation and imperium galactica looked much better. Still a must buy for the gameplay.  O0
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Tpek on January 22, 2015, 04:25:48 PM
^They came out after Rebellion did.
I remember having already played Rebellion when BOTF was announced.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Anguille on January 22, 2015, 04:51:25 PM
Quote from: Tpek on January 22, 2015, 04:25:48 PM
^They came out after Rebellion did.
I remember having already played Rebellion when BOTF was announced.
Imperium Galactica was released in 1997 and Botf had been started before Rebellion if my memory is correct.  ;)
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 07:26:17 PM
BotF came out after Rebellion.  Maybe a year later?

No matter.  I actually enjoyed playing Rebellion more than I did IG2.  Probably more so than BotF even.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Staggerwing on January 22, 2015, 07:27:26 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on January 22, 2015, 11:16:27 AM
If you mean that screenshot upthread, those aren't add ons. SWOTL was an upgrade and repurposing of the engine from "Their Finest Hour" (sort of like "Bombing the Third Reich" from "Eagle Day"). I can't recall where the Pacific game came in that sequence, but it was also a standalone version of the engine.

If you mean something else, apparently I've slept since then. ;) (Swotl has add-ons? Why did I not remember that? Or ever get them?!)

If you're satirizing the modern propensity for add-ons compared to how things went back then...  >:D

SWOTL was a natural followup to TFH but did have add-ons, though. They were called 'Tours of Duty' and each added a new aircraft, for a total of four: The P-80, He 162, the P-38, and the Do 335. IIRC All were included in the air Combat Classics collection.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Anguille on January 23, 2015, 04:59:26 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 07:26:17 PM
BotF came out after Rebellion.  Maybe a year later?

No matter.  I actually enjoyed playing Rebellion more than I did IG2.  Probably more so than BotF even.

Don't understand me wrong, i really like Rebellion and have it now from Gog. The First IG was released in 1997 and looks imho better than Rebellion. Work on Botf started early but it was released early 1999...not so much later than Rebellion and the battles look so much better imho. But as you said, it's not that important.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: PAK on January 23, 2015, 12:22:47 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 22, 2015, 07:27:26 PM

SWOTL was a natural followup to TFH but did have add-ons, though. They were called 'Tours of Duty' and each added a new aircraft, for a total of four: The P-80, He 162, the P-38, and the Do 335. IIRC All were included in the air Combat Classics collection.

That's what I've found on mobygames when I browsed info on SWOTL - to my surprise. Never got hose tours.
Would be quite interesting to play again both games (iirc I managed to win both German and British TFH campaigns) although I still remember that the game engine had some nasty surprises, especially if You were trying to fly very low. After all these were raster graphics based games.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: bobarossa on January 23, 2015, 03:18:41 PM
I browsed my BOOM (Box Of Old Manuals) and found the SWOTL manual and code wheel as well as the P-38 and DO-335 manuals.  I had completely forgotten that there were add-ons. 

I loved Rebellion back when it came out except for one extremely nagging problem.  You couldn't just tell an intelligence team to keep spying on a planet until it was recalled.  You had to keep sending it out again and again.  The message queue would be full of them reporting in and every one would require you to send them out again.  Probably the only thing I wish could have been fixed.
Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Great Ajax on January 25, 2015, 03:06:39 PM
A couple of must haves for X-Wing Alliance.  X-Wing Alliance Ship Upgrade Pack recently remastered for the GOG release.  Also includes new definition space features such as planets.  Note, that the patch was taken down yesterday to fix some issues but should be back up. 

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/viewtopic.php?p=147913#p147913

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy_5hqSeTUk

Make sure you get the X-Wing Hacker tool that allows you to play in resolutions greater than 800x600.

http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_xwing_and_tie_fighter_series/xwa_flight_engine_locked_at_800x600/page1

Was playing the hell out of Rebellion yesterday when it crashes and lost two hours of gameplay.  Its hard to keep playing when crap like that happens.

Trey

Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: Martok on January 29, 2015, 02:20:15 PM
Although I already own physical copies of both, I picked up both Rogue Squadron and Star Wars: Empire at War.  Excited! 


I purchased RS again because I've had trouble running the disc version.  Am pleased to report the GOG version runs just fine. 

As for EAW, I'd only ever owned the vanilla version, as the Forces of Corruption expansion had long included some sort of odious DRM that I refused to allow on my computer.  Now that it was available on GOG, I figured it should be safe to get; can't wait to try it out! 

Title: Re: GOG to start selling LucasArts games
Post by: bbmike on January 29, 2015, 02:38:53 PM
For some reason I can't get Rogue Squadron to recognize my XBox controller. Other games see it but not RS.  :(