Just in case you are interested in this forthcoming game, the Live stream is going to start in a few minutes:
http://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup (http://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup)
Get a tab with the title "about:blank"
Sorry, fixed!
Thanks
Oh god no - thanks but not another Panzer Corps game...not my cup of tea.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 17, 2014, 02:06:50 PM
Oh god no - thanks but not another Panzer Corps game...not my cup of tea.
True, it generally plays similar. But it is not Panzer Corps engine. The graphics is 3D and it leaves wrecks. It's got an interesting fatigue model that limits your blitzkrieg ability (it's the pacific anyway). There is some supply model and it is punishing. Tactics are definitely different.
It models naval combat, carrier battles, amphibious landings and naval supply. Don't be shocked about a naval rule where your attack value is halved when you make a move closer to your enemy. You only get full attack value when stationary. But the reasoning is sound: when you move closer to an enemy, you cannot point all your guns to the target. Gun in the rear cannot traverse to face the front right? When you are stationary, it assumes that you can turn or are already pointing all guns to the approaching enemy. There are ways to avoid this in real life like snaking your way to the enemy but this simplified mechanic at least gives some tactical dilemmas.
I'll leave everything else to the side...
In what way are these graphics 3D?
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Quote from: jomni on December 17, 2014, 05:24:17 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 17, 2014, 02:06:50 PM
Oh god no - thanks but not another Panzer Corps game...not my cup of tea.
True, it generally plays similar. But it is not Panzer Corps engine. The graphics is 3D and it leaves wrecks. It's got an interesting fatigue model that limits your blitzkrieg ability (it's the pacific anyway). There is some supply model and it is punishing. Tactics are definitely different.
It models naval combat, carrier battles, amphibious landings and naval supply. Don't be shocked about a naval rule where your attack value is halved when you make a move closer to your enemy. You only get full attack value when stationary. But the reasoning is sound: when you move closer to an enemy, you cannot point all your guns to the target. Gun in the rear cannot traverse to face the front right? When you are stationary, it assumes that you can turn or are already pointing all guns to the approaching enemy. There are ways to avoid this in real life like snaking your way to the enemy but this simplified mechanic at least gives some tactical dilemmas.
I didn't just mean in look - although that really hit me.
I've gotten tired over the years of abstraction...there's always going to be some - but some can get too much
I watched part of it and it looked like Panzer Corps...ok - it's not - but that's what struck me.
By the way Panzer Corps done the "move and don't get your full attack value" iirc.
Quote from: Cyrano on December 17, 2014, 05:37:25 PM
I'll leave everything else to the side...
In what way are these graphics 3D?
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sorry not too sure because I can't find them in the directory (packed in some file). Either they are actual 3D objects or better rendered and animated 2D sprites than Panzer Corps. It's like PG3D vs. the original PG.
Is there a release date?
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 17, 2014, 05:53:58 PM
Quote from: jomni on December 17, 2014, 05:24:17 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 17, 2014, 02:06:50 PM
Oh god no - thanks but not another Panzer Corps game...not my cup of tea.
True, it generally plays similar. But it is not Panzer Corps engine. The graphics is 3D and it leaves wrecks. It's got an interesting fatigue model that limits your blitzkrieg ability (it's the pacific anyway). There is some supply model and it is punishing. Tactics are definitely different.
It models naval combat, carrier battles, amphibious landings and naval supply. Don't be shocked about a naval rule where your attack value is halved when you make a move closer to your enemy. You only get full attack value when stationary. But the reasoning is sound: when you move closer to an enemy, you cannot point all your guns to the target. Gun in the rear cannot traverse to face the front right? When you are stationary, it assumes that you can turn or are already pointing all guns to the approaching enemy. There are ways to avoid this in real life like snaking your way to the enemy but this simplified mechanic at least gives some tactical dilemmas.
I didn't just mean in look - although that really hit me.
I've gotten tired over the years of abstraction...there's always going to be some - but some can get too much
I watched part of it and it looked like Panzer Corps...ok - it's not - but that's what struck me.
By the way Panzer Corps done the "move and don't get your full attack value" iirc.
I said the same thing about Warhammer, and everyone said I was wrong.... And WH even uses the same engine.
I wish these guys would make a Cold War game and cut it with the WW2 stuff. There's so much more you can do. Flexibility
QuoteIs there a release date?
A guy in the chat yesterday said "next year" and since the dude doing the presentation said it's still in development it will be rather end of than early 2015 I suppose.
QuoteI said the same thing about Warhammer, and everyone said I was wrong....
Not everyone... ;)
Still pretty far off, then...
For the record, Apoc, I always had the back of the doubters on that one. There's an ancient post -- couldn't believe how old it was when I found it *shudder* -- saying as much...the voice of a few crying in the wilderness...
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Quote from: Cyrano on December 18, 2014, 11:23:07 AM
For the record, Apoc, I always had the back of the doubters on that one. There's an ancient post -- couldn't believe how old it was when I found it *shudder* -- saying as much...the voice of a few crying in the wilderness...
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
It's the same reason why the Call of Duty franchise pumps out the same product every year; if it sells, then it works. No need to change the formula.
In the end I'll probably buy it, but only if it has coop. Battle Academy 2 had forced me to see the light. I enjoy playing strategy games cooperatively. No more buying games that only have 1/2 of the features I want.
Quote from: Gusington on December 17, 2014, 07:05:18 PM
Is there a release date?
Looks like April 30th is planned release date...
Really?? Awesome. Link?
Been waiting for this for a while.
Quote from: Gusington on April 04, 2015, 09:23:01 PM
Really?? Awesome. Link?
Been waiting for this for a while.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3833455
Nice! Thanks.
I'm not particularly stoked about this - so I can see myself saving a few quid.
And good - because I've been eyeing up a Tamiya 1/35 scale Tiger 1, a Tamiya 1/35 scale Sherman Firefly and a Tamiya 1/35 scale M1A1 Abrams :)
^And more 'aloe vera' tissues.
Yeah - still a bit poorly - but better than the other day :(
Won't a scrum or two make it all better?
I can hardly stand nevermind scrum! ;D
Is that because of the colde or the olde?
Both :P
I thought so.
Panzer General / Panzer Corps spawn, but please at least admit the beauty of this new game engine.
Find me another WW2 tactical turn based game that looks as good.
Or...find me a cold war or modern tactical turn based that looks as good.
The game has an interesting supply and fatigue rule which means you can't blitz your way across the map.
The game does look awfully sexy and the logistics aspect of it does look solid. Can't wait!
Quote from: Gusington on April 06, 2015, 08:29:59 AM
The game does look awfully sexy and the logistics aspect of it does look solid. Can't wait!
I did Beta testing for this. It's big problem to deal with during island invasions.
Quote from: jomni on April 05, 2015, 09:48:50 PM
The game has an interesting supply and fatigue rule which means you can't blitz your way across the map.
Could you tell more about it?
Quote from: Tinkershuffle on April 06, 2015, 12:12:44 PM
Quote from: jomni on April 05, 2015, 09:48:50 PM
The game has an interesting supply and fatigue rule which means you can't blitz your way across the map.
Could you tell more about it?
This post from Slitherine forums sums it up nicely:
Quote from: adherbalLand units capture hexes. The territory ownership is marked with coloured borderlines. In order for a land unit to operate at maximum efficiency there must be enough supply sources in the current territory to maintain the total amount of supply requirements of each unit in this territory.
In the screenshot below, the Supply display mode is turned on. In this mode, all units display their required supply cost instead of the strength number. The big 20 above the city on the right indicates this is a supply source which can support a total unit supply requirement of 20 in its territory. The player currently has no land based supply sources, but coastal ships can also provide supply. The ship with the big 20 is a Supply Ship, with the single purpose of supporting naval invasions. Warships only provide a low amount of supply.
The total amount of supply I get from my ships here is 20 + 4 + 4 = 28. The total unit requirement is 4 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2 = 15. So the remaining supply surplus in this territory is 28 - 15 = 13, hence the green +13 in the supply source markers. If the balance would be negative - meaning there are not enough supply sources to maintain all units - the combat and movement performance of units will drop.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi57.tinypic.com%2F15zoapl.jpg&hash=d7be8e2376457c7337104934d9b51adc1e51c95b)
The supply system means you need to plan naval invasions carefully, and you can only support a limitited amount of units until additional land based supply sources (ex: port cities) are captured. It also allows cutting of large groups of enemy units - which disencourages "camping" a big army around a single city - and requires players to balance their army core carefully between powerfull but expensive and cheap units. The latter are required to make sure you can always guard the whole length of your territory and slow down enemy penetrations aimed to cut your supply sources.
Strategic bombers can damage enemy supply sources, while engineers can blow up friendly supply sources (and bridges) - allowing for "scorched earth" retreat tactics.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=264&t=50007
As for the fatigue system, units on the move or fight constantly will lower in effectiveness and will require some rest.
Is it the 30th yet? :D
Ok, thanks Jomni, that really adds some flavor to the mix.
This was already a day one purchase for me. The supply system rules seem to be very well thought out and appropriate for the theatre. I think it really adds another layer. I'm standing by, credit card in hand!
I haven't seen a price listed anywhere...anyone know what it will be?