GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: BanzaiCat on January 05, 2015, 06:31:52 PM

Title: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 05, 2015, 06:31:52 PM
...here you go.

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2

AND you can play them right in your browser window, apparently.

I just fired up Centurion: Defender of Rome. Works fine, but no sound for some reason.

You're welcome.
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: besilarius on January 05, 2015, 06:57:20 PM
Tanks for the memories.
This is pretty scary, revisiting the titles of youth.
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 05, 2015, 07:02:17 PM
Oh Lord, it has Crusade in Europe, Conflict in Vietnam, and Decision in the Desert.

Plus it looks like it has all the gold-box SSI D&D games too.
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: bbmike on January 05, 2015, 07:06:34 PM
Wow, they have Space MAX! I loved that game! I tried running it but the screen turned black and nothing happened.  :-\
Just as well, I didn't see the manual for it.
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 05, 2015, 07:07:57 PM
Yeah, sorry...looks like it's hit or miss on some of these. One of the D&D games locked up on me; another prompted me to insert Disk 3. Hahaha, yeah, okay I'll get right on that.

Tried a few but no sound, even when I click 'unmute' so I have no idea what's up there. Good luck guys, let us know if you find something fun that works.
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 05, 2015, 08:01:49 PM
Ive spied Wolfpack, Wing Commander Academy, Tank M-1 simulator, Pacific Strike, Panzer Battles, Karateka LOL
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 05, 2015, 08:06:37 PM
holy fuck that have Auto Duel!

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Autoduel_1988

that WAS Car Wars on puter!
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: Staggerwing on January 05, 2015, 08:17:35 PM
MS Space Simulator is there as well. That's a hard game to track down nowadays.

Is stuff this all legal?  ???
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 05, 2015, 08:19:55 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 05, 2015, 08:17:35 PM
Is stuff this all legal?  ???

did tonight early you start?
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 05, 2015, 08:22:34 PM
The Internet Archive calls themselves a "non-profit library," so I assume it's legit.
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 05, 2015, 08:24:22 PM
he from Houston, how dodgy could he be?  ::)
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 05, 2015, 08:24:55 PM
Maybe as dodgy as a Florida time share "investment?"
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: Greybriar on January 05, 2015, 08:36:06 PM
Thanks for the link, Banzai_Cat. The titles on that site include a lot of PC game history. I spotted War in Russia, High Command - Europe 1939-45, Secret of the Silver Blades, Conflict - Korea the First Year 1950-1951, The Global Dilemma - Guns or Butter, Spoils of War, and many more I played back in the day as well a a huge number I hadn't even heard of.

I don't know how that site is handling the legalities of the games it is offering, but it's been in existence since 1996 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Archive) if Wikipedia is to be believed.
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 05, 2015, 08:57:56 PM
just.... WOW

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2?and[]=War%20in%20Russia
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: Con on January 05, 2015, 09:03:34 PM
Just found Wizardry 1

It prompted me to put a disk in drive 1.  When I said yes (without doing anything) it said this disk had data already on it and pressing Y would reformat it and lose all the data.....I am too scared to press the button this is a true WTF clash of old vs new technology moment will it think the C drive is disk 1?

Also they dont have Pursuit of the Graf Spee which was a favorite of mine  :(

Con
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: Gusington on January 05, 2015, 09:08:45 PM
PRESS THE BUTTON

What could happen?
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: Staggerwing on January 05, 2015, 09:11:02 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 05, 2015, 08:57:56 PM
just.... WOW

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2?and[]=War%20in%20Russia

You can get WiR from Matrix as well, gratis: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/236/downloads/

you can also get the original Pacific War, War Engine, and Titans of steel:Warring Suns for free.
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 06, 2015, 03:12:49 PM
it appears to be legit, too, as WaPo is covering it as such

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/01/05/you-can-now-play-nearly-2400-ms-dos-video-games-in-your-browser/
Title: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: James Sterrett on January 06, 2015, 09:02:48 PM
https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2

(Via http://gizmodo.com/2-400-ms-dos-games-are-now-free-online-some-of-them-ar-1677816759 )

I have no idea how this is legal.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Nefaro on January 07, 2015, 01:12:59 AM
Quote from: James Sterrett on January 06, 2015, 09:02:48 PM
https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2

(Via http://gizmodo.com/2-400-ms-dos-games-are-now-free-online-some-of-them-ar-1677816759 )

I have no idea how this is legal.


Wait for some IP Lawyers to get wind of it.  They may be able to dig up someone who has the rights and gives more than one shit about it.  :P
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: jomni on January 07, 2015, 01:17:53 AM
Let's see what our legal expert Jarhead has to say.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 07, 2015, 01:20:24 AM
not our monkey, not our circus.

not our problem.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Boggit on January 07, 2015, 01:22:24 AM
Great find B_C! O0
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Hot lead and dirty talk! on January 07, 2015, 03:04:58 AM
Did anyone figure out the sound? My Lord!!!! They got Seal Team, Gunboat, SWOTL. This could be the greatest discovery since bacon!
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: jomni on January 07, 2015, 03:11:26 AM
Swotl? Does it still ask for the "spin-a-wheel" DRM?
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: jomni on January 07, 2015, 04:30:06 AM
This site will lead to the death of GOG
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: MikeGER on January 07, 2015, 04:57:16 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 07, 2015, 03:11:26 AM
Swotl? Does it still ask for the "spin-a-wheel" DRM?

at least Kampfgruppe asks for a word from the manual  ;) LOL  from a time were "pdf" was just some cryptic misspelling of an acronym and you still got a full blown printed manual 

i have the wheel for Battle of Britain somewhere  O0
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: gameleaper on January 07, 2015, 05:31:48 AM
I posted about this site before http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12147.0 but no one bothered :( but glad you guys finaly saw the games now
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: jomni on January 07, 2015, 05:50:11 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 07, 2015, 05:31:48 AM
I posted about this site before http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12147.0 but no one bothered :( but glad you guys finaly saw the games now

Hehehe.  You should be given a medal for spotting this before the media outlets.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 07, 2015, 06:29:26 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 07, 2015, 05:31:48 AM
I posted about this site before http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12147.0 but no one bothered :( but glad you guys finaly saw the games now

Sorry, gameleaper. I never noticed this first post. :(

I never figured out the sound issues nor some of the other technical issues some of the games had (like that missing disk prompt).

As far as I can tell, all the copy protection stuff is disabled. You will be prompted but just pressing Enter or any response should get you past it.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 07, 2015, 06:30:26 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 07, 2015, 05:31:48 AM
I posted about this site before http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12147.0 but no one bothered :( but glad you guys finaly saw the games now

Wow - so you did!   O0

I'm not usually following the computer gaming forums too closely, so I missed that.  Great catch!
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: bbmike on January 07, 2015, 06:39:02 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 07, 2015, 05:31:48 AM
I posted about this site before http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12147.0 but no one bothered :( but glad you guys finaly saw the games now

I saw MAME in that thread title but thought you were talking about the video arcade ROM emulator (http://mamedev.org/)!  :D
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: jomni on January 07, 2015, 06:48:20 AM
Most of them need a manual because of the old-school DRM.   You should dig them up in order to play.  Dig them up from replacmentdocs.com or probably the same website, archive.org.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Shelldrake on January 07, 2015, 07:11:00 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 07, 2015, 04:30:06 AM
This site will lead to the death of GOG

I doubt it. Many folks like to own the game they are playing and GOG has also diversified into newer Windows games as well as indie titles.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Rayfer on January 07, 2015, 07:41:34 AM
I'll pass....I suspect my experience would be the same as with GOG....most of those old DOS games were great in their day and bring back many fond gaming memories, but when fired up and played today they are just flat out awful. I'd rather use my gaming time with Wasteland 2, CM: Red Thunder, TW Rome 2 and others of that ilk than those old nostalgic games.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: bbmike on January 07, 2015, 07:48:15 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on January 07, 2015, 07:41:34 AM
I'll pass....I suspect my experience would be the same as with GOG....most of those old DOS games were great in their day and bring back many fond gaming memories, but when fired up and played today they are just flat out awful. I'd rather use my gaming time with Wasteland 2, CM: Red Thunder, TW Rome 2 and others of that ilk than those old nostalgic games.

You can take my Age of Rifles after you pry it out of my cold, dead hands.  :P
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Nefaro on January 07, 2015, 09:19:25 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 07, 2015, 04:30:06 AM
This site will lead to the death of GOG

Naa.  Some of them don't work or have other issues on that site. 

Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: FarAway Sooner on January 07, 2015, 10:59:32 AM
Alas, no Renegade: Legion Interceptor. 

But they do have Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2.  I'm sure Star is busy reformatting his hard drive in an effort to get that one running even as I type...

:)
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Rayfer on January 07, 2015, 10:59:42 AM
Quote from: bbmike on January 07, 2015, 07:48:15 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on January 07, 2015, 07:41:34 AM
I'll pass....I suspect my experience would be the same as with GOG....most of those old DOS games were great in their day and bring back many fond gaming memories, but when fired up and played today they are just flat out awful. I'd rather use my gaming time with Wasteland 2, CM: Red Thunder, TW Rome 2 and others of that ilk than those old nostalgic games.

You can take my Age of Rifles after you pry it out of my cold, dead hands.  :P

LOL...yes, there are those rare gems but for everyone one of them there are twenty stinkers!
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Cyrano on January 07, 2015, 11:26:54 AM
Man...did my ill-spent youth really suck this much?

Damn...I feared so...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Jack Nastyface on January 07, 2015, 11:32:52 AM
Just fired up Secret Weapons.  Although the experience of seeing some of the menu screens was quite nostalgic, actual game play was impossible.   Next I want to start up Heroes of the 357th just to see if it sucks as bad as I remember it.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: DennisS on January 07, 2015, 04:11:58 PM
I am at work..does it have ... Red Storm Rising?   :D
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Cyrano on January 07, 2015, 04:48:43 PM
Ru-roh...I'm getting a secure connection failed error from the site now...

People are going to blame us, you know.

Everybody look busy.

Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: PAK on January 07, 2015, 05:35:41 PM
I think sound is turned off by default, the icon for turning it on is on the right, that little "speaker"...
America Invades from Avalon Hill...
https://archive.org/details/msdos_D-Day_-_America_Invades_1995
Works but too slowly, somebody needs to turn cycles up in the dosbox

Heretic
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Heretic_-_Shadow_of_the_Serpent_Riders_1996
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: gameleaper on January 07, 2015, 06:02:39 PM
found the sound issue

Browser Choice

First, the Internet Arcade works best in Firefox, and a very recent flavor of Firefox at that. If you needed an excuse to upgrade, this is it. Chrome also works well, although due to disagreements between Mozilla and Google that bore me, Chrome runs about 20% slower on average. This can mean the difference between good and clunky emulation. Safari, mostly recent Safari, works good but sound does not currently work on it. Same for Internet Explorer. Believe it or not, I've had great response from a 64-bit Windows version of Firefox called Waterfox. As they say, your mileage may vary. We continue to improve this experience and we're constantly doing fixups to the code to work with other browsers.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Staggerwing on January 07, 2015, 06:51:40 PM
Quote from: jomni on January 07, 2015, 03:11:26 AM
Swotl? Does it still ask for the "spin-a-wheel" DRM?

I think that was Their Finest Hour, precursor to SWOTL.

Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Hot lead and dirty talk! on January 07, 2015, 08:00:54 PM
There was definitely a wheel for  SWOTL. Too bad they don't have the Aces series.

I believe the f10 key speeds up frame rates in Dos Box.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 07, 2015, 08:04:23 PM
Huh. I tried it in Chrome and still no sound. I'll give Firefox a shot.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on January 08, 2015, 10:24:13 AM
I've only tried Gunship 2000 so far. Boy, what memories!

Unfortunately, I can't start the engine on my Apache because I need the code found on page 20 of the manual. That old goddamned DRM still haunts us today!

Are you guys sure about hitting <enter> to bypass the DRM?
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Jack Nastyface on January 08, 2015, 04:23:34 PM
@SlickW,
Works on some games, others, not.  I got past copy-protection on SWOTL and Great Naval Battles II, but I had to google wingspan of 110 to get past copy-pro on Chuck Yeager's AC.  Stunt driver had a "choose the proper icon" question that kicks you to DOS if you fail.

Edit:  for Gunship 2000...use the numeric key-pad to enter any 5 numbers into the authentication screen, then hit the aux power toggle.  Should get you going.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Greybriar on January 08, 2015, 07:11:49 PM
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on January 08, 2015, 04:23:34 PM
....for Gunship 2000...use the numeric key-pad to enter any 5 numbers into the authentication screen, then hit the aux power toggle.  Should get you going.

That sounds like some old hacker talking. j/k  ;)
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on January 08, 2015, 09:41:10 PM
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on January 08, 2015, 04:23:34 PM
@SlickW,
Works on some games, others, not.  I got past copy-protection on SWOTL and Great Naval Battles II, but I had to google wingspan of 110 to get past copy-pro on Chuck Yeager's AC.  Stunt driver had a "choose the proper icon" question that kicks you to DOS if you fail.

Edit:  for Gunship 2000...use the numeric key-pad to enter any 5 numbers into the authentication screen, then hit the aux power toggle.  Should get you going.

Jack, I did that and no joy.  :(
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Greybriar on January 09, 2015, 02:36:05 AM
Did you try Replacementdocs.com (http://www.replacementdocs.com/search.php?q=Gunship+2000&t=downloads&r=0&s=Search), Slick Wilhelm?
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 07:51:37 AM
Im wondering if these work in the console browsers like xbox and other browsers with explorer included , even smart TVs
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Nefaro on January 09, 2015, 11:53:56 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 07:51:37 AM
Im wondering if these work in the console browsers like xbox and other browsers with explorer included , even smart TVs

It seems to load DOSbox in the browser.  So.. I don't know?
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 09, 2015, 11:55:35 AM
If the Xbox console's browser is based on IE (and I can't imagine otherwise), if it works on a computer it should work in a console. Would be interesting for anyone to report that here.

Not that I care, my Xbox 360 is hardly played and doesn't have an online component anyway.  :)
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: airboy on January 09, 2015, 12:04:25 PM
I have profound doubts if this website has the legal rights to supply these games.  I'm almost certain that some of the games did not release their rights.  For example - they have both Empire and Empire Deluxe.  The rights to this were bought by another company and they have upgraded the game.

Ditto the old Infocom games like Leather Goddess of Phobos.

I also doubt that a story that ran in the Washington Post in their tech column establishes the legality of this supply of material.

I also really don't want gog to fold.  I appreciate having an updated version of the game that has technical help available.  I also appreciate not stealing something.  Admittedly, I still have a couple of these games in an unplayable format (Empire most notably).  Even if the guy is not making any money with this, you can't take other people's property and distribute it for free to all comers.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 12:09:22 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 09, 2015, 11:53:56 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 07:51:37 AM
Im wondering if these work in the console browsers like xbox and other browsers with explorer included , even smart TVs

It seems to load DOSbox in the browser.  So.. I don't know?

I think DosBox is running in the cloud, and the browser is an interface, I wonder if it runs on a phone
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 12:10:36 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 09, 2015, 11:55:35 AM
If the Xbox console's browser is based on IE (and I can't imagine otherwise), if it works on a computer it should work in a console. Would be interesting for anyone to report that here.

Not that I care, my Xbox 360 is hardly played and doesn't have an online component anyway.  :)

it runs on other browsers too like firefox, and its a cloud service
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 12:11:32 PM
Quote from: airboy on January 09, 2015, 12:04:25 PM
I have profound doubts if this website has the legal rights to supply these games.  I'm almost certain that some of the games did not release their rights.  For example - they have both Empire and Empire Deluxe.  The rights to this were bought by another company and they have upgraded the game.

Ditto the old Infocom games like Leather Goddess of Phobos.

I also doubt that a story that ran in the Washington Post in their tech column establishes the legality of this supply of material.

I also really don't want gog to fold.  I appreciate having an updated version of the game that has technical help available.  I also appreciate not stealing something.  Admittedly, I still have a couple of these games in an unplayable format (Empire most notably).  Even if the guy is not making any money with this, you can't take other people's property and distribute it for free to all comers.

I think online access if different to owning a game youself.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 09, 2015, 01:25:10 PM
Quote from: airboy on January 09, 2015, 12:04:25 PMI also doubt that a story that ran in the Washington Post in their tech column establishes the legality of this supply of material.

I wasn't saying that it did, but the implication (to me, anyway) is that if it was something that was blatantly illegal or under some huge legal scrutiny, then the article would've either not been published, or prominently included information about the legal trouble.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 09, 2015, 01:34:09 PM
I haven't had a chance to really try any of these games yet, but dumb question.....does it actually save your progress in the game somehow or is it pretty much only a single session and start all over again?  Not sure some of them would be worth playing if you couldn't save your progress along the way.....unless you were just running them for nostalgia sake.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Jack Nastyface on January 09, 2015, 01:35:01 PM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 12:11:32 PM
I think online access if different to owning a game yourself.
Hmm...you know, perhaps this is the a software model for libraries, insofar as libraries allow you to "use" a book without owning it.  Profit to the author of said book, in the form of book sales, is considerably diminished, but access to the book is always going occur, on on a time-based loan, which is kind of what is happening here.  I wonder what would happen if you tried starting a campaign with any of these games?  Is there a place to "save" your progress?


edit:  Hah!  Reaper, you and I just posted the same thought about saving progress.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 09, 2015, 01:41:11 PM
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on January 09, 2015, 01:35:01 PM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 12:11:32 PM
I think online access if different to owning a game yourself.
Hmm...you know, perhaps this is the a software model for libraries, insofar as libraries allow you to "use" a book without owning it.  Profit to the author of said book, in the form of book sales, is considerably diminished, but access to the book is always going occur, on on a time-based loan, which is kind of what is happening here.  I wonder what would happen if you tried starting a campaign with any of these games?  Is there a place to "save" your progress?


edit:  Hah!  Reaper, you and I just posted the same thought about saving progress.

Too funny:)
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 09, 2015, 01:46:56 PM
I'm guessing it will not save your progress. I haven't had a chance to test that theory, but at least two games (both D&D games) refused to start because I needed to insert a disk.  I've played DOSBOX versions of the D&D games before, but DOSBOX is very inconvenient for me - probably because I'm just lazy. Considering how I had to be nimble-fingered with DOS back in the late 80s/early 90s I've been spoiled by GUIs.

Anyway, I do not think it saves. Or more likely, some games do not while others might. I don't know how hard it is to save progress and 'write' it to a cookie to store in your browser's settings. I'm not that much into HTML.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 09, 2015, 01:51:02 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 09, 2015, 01:46:56 PM
I'm guessing it will not save your progress. I haven't had a chance to test that theory, but at least two games (both D&D games) refused to start because I needed to insert a disk.  I've played DOSBOX versions of the D&D games before, but DOSBOX is very inconvenient for me - probably because I'm just lazy. Considering how I had to be nimble-fingered with DOS back in the late 80s/early 90s I've been spoiled by GUIs.

Anyway, I do not think it saves. Or more likely, some games do not while others might. I don't know how hard it is to save progress and 'write' it to a cookie to store in your browser's settings. I'm not that much into HTML.

That is my assumption as well...I am guessing most of them have very unique save file structures and can't imagine that being doable through a browser to a cookie or other things, but who knows.  If that is the case, then accessing these games is just a quick trip down memory lane for me, which is ok, still kind of neat to see some of them again.  Likely wouldn't play these old games very long anyways as my history with gog games has proven:)
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 04:00:41 PM
if they are working in a dosbox, the save would be in the dosbox, and the dosbox is shared in the cloud by all users. but they could implement a virtual floppy on your PC maybe? but I like the anonymous use as it is now

did you guys find the 1.3GB thousands of dos software https://archive.org/compress/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23/formats=ZIP&file=/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23.zip just played doom and star trek on a virtualbox setup, just download free virtualbox( https://www.virtualbox.org/ I think its Oracle so its safe ) , and set the dos system disk(IBM-DOS 7.0) as a floppy and boot(switching virtual floppies as I go, the DOS system disks are part of the above download), I had to find a soundblaster16 sound driver( http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7 ) , but found a free one after a search. the IBM-DOS disks install a mouse for you, I also found a generic cd driver ( I attached it ) and now I have a full dos system running well I also added a second virtual drive, If you need any help just ask. I actually took the Memmaker files from MS-DOS 6.22 and put it into IBM-DOS and it worked, I got extra memery for dos games to run, MS-DOS 6.22 comes with the above download. also all the system is ring fenced on your system , so PC is safe.

Ive already done it all for you, here is the virtual hard drive all done, just use it with virtualbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw17jxeeh67q8wp/DosVirtualHardDriveForVirtualBox.zip?dl=0


PS : I think a link to the console browser collections needs to be mentioned in this thread http://game-oldies.com/games-alphabetical-listing
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on January 09, 2015, 05:14:08 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on January 09, 2015, 02:36:05 AM
Did you try Replacementdocs.com (http://www.replacementdocs.com/search.php?q=Gunship+2000&t=downloads&r=0&s=Search), Slick Wilhelm?

Thanks, Greybriar! You are a gentleman and a grog.  O0
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on January 09, 2015, 05:58:02 PM
Yay! Operation Crusader from Atomic Games. No DRM, no floppy disks. Just pure, old, outstanding gameplay. I can't recommend this game highly enough. It's the only game I saved on the original disks purchased by me back in the early 1990's.

Awesome, just awesome!

Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: bbmike on January 09, 2015, 05:59:17 PM
I tried to save a game but it didn't work. The no manual/DRM problem and not being able to save is enough to make me pass on this.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 09, 2015, 06:52:10 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on January 09, 2015, 05:14:08 PMYou are a gentleman and a grog.  O0

please see attached venn diagram
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: Uberhaus on January 09, 2015, 11:11:54 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 05, 2015, 08:17:35 PM
MS Space Simulator is there as well. That's a hard game to track down nowadays.

Is stuff this all legal?  ???

I hope so.  They state they have a DMCA exemption, but I am no lawyer.  https://archive.org/about/dmca.php (https://archive.org/about/dmca.php)

Late to the party, nevermind.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 08:58:08 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 04:00:41 PM
if they are working in a dosbox, the save would be in the dosbox, and the dosbox is shared in the cloud by all users. but they could implement a virtual floppy on your PC maybe? but I like the anonymous use as it is now

did you guys find the 1.3GB thousands of dos software https://archive.org/compress/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23/formats=ZIP&file=/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23.zip just played doom and star trek on a virtualbox setup, just download free virtualbox( https://www.virtualbox.org/ I think its Oracle so its safe ) , and set the dos system disk(IBM-DOS 7.0) as a floppy and boot(switching virtual floppies as I go, the DOS system disks are part of the above download), I had to find a soundblaster16 sound driver( http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7 ) , but found a free one after a search. the IBM-DOS disks install a mouse for you, I also found a generic cd driver ( I attached it ) and now I have a full dos system running well I also added a second virtual drive, If you need any help just ask. I actually took the Memmaker files from MS-DOS 6.22 and put it into IBM-DOS and it worked, I got extra memery for dos games to run, MS-DOS 6.22 comes with the above download. also all the system is ring fenced on your system , so PC is safe.

Ive already done it all for you, here is the virtual hard drive all done, just use it with virtualbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw17jxeeh67q8wp/DosVirtualHardDriveForVirtualBox.zip?dl=0


PS : I think a link to the console browser collections needs to be mentioned in this thread http://game-oldies.com/games-alphabetical-listing

Im requoteing as you guys are missing thousands of MS-DOS games you can actualy download and run & make saves from the achive emulator section, there are programs such as winimage that also create exe files from virtual floppies so you can run in a Dosbox.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 10, 2015, 09:14:30 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 08:58:08 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 04:00:41 PM
if they are working in a dosbox, the save would be in the dosbox, and the dosbox is shared in the cloud by all users. but they could implement a virtual floppy on your PC maybe? but I like the anonymous use as it is now

did you guys find the 1.3GB thousands of dos software https://archive.org/compress/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23/formats=ZIP&file=/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23.zip just played doom and star trek on a virtualbox setup, just download free virtualbox( https://www.virtualbox.org/ I think its Oracle so its safe ) , and set the dos system disk(IBM-DOS 7.0) as a floppy and boot(switching virtual floppies as I go, the DOS system disks are part of the above download), I had to find a soundblaster16 sound driver( http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7 ) , but found a free one after a search. the IBM-DOS disks install a mouse for you, I also found a generic cd driver ( I attached it ) and now I have a full dos system running well I also added a second virtual drive, If you need any help just ask. I actually took the Memmaker files from MS-DOS 6.22 and put it into IBM-DOS and it worked, I got extra memery for dos games to run, MS-DOS 6.22 comes with the above download. also all the system is ring fenced on your system , so PC is safe.

Ive already done it all for you, here is the virtual hard drive all done, just use it with virtualbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw17jxeeh67q8wp/DosVirtualHardDriveForVirtualBox.zip?dl=0


PS : I think a link to the console browser collections needs to be mentioned in this thread http://game-oldies.com/games-alphabetical-listing

Im requoteing as you guys are missing thousands of MS-DOS games you can actualy download and run & make saves from the achive emulator section, there are programs such as winimage that also create exe files from virtual floppies so you can run in a Dosbox.

Seeing and playing old games is a nice trip down memory lane....but for me I have learned my lesson that I really can't play them long, just too outdated compared to games today.  No doubt there were really some great games back then, but too far in the past for me to play them seriously.  I tried several old titles from GOG and at first they hold my attention, but after not too long, they become shelf-ware.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 09:28:07 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 10, 2015, 09:14:30 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 08:58:08 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 04:00:41 PM
if they are working in a dosbox, the save would be in the dosbox, and the dosbox is shared in the cloud by all users. but they could implement a virtual floppy on your PC maybe? but I like the anonymous use as it is now

did you guys find the 1.3GB thousands of dos software https://archive.org/compress/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23/formats=ZIP&file=/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23.zip just played doom and star trek on a virtualbox setup, just download free virtualbox( https://www.virtualbox.org/ I think its Oracle so its safe ) , and set the dos system disk(IBM-DOS 7.0) as a floppy and boot(switching virtual floppies as I go, the DOS system disks are part of the above download), I had to find a soundblaster16 sound driver( http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7 ) , but found a free one after a search. the IBM-DOS disks install a mouse for you, I also found a generic cd driver ( I attached it ) and now I have a full dos system running well I also added a second virtual drive, If you need any help just ask. I actually took the Memmaker files from MS-DOS 6.22 and put it into IBM-DOS and it worked, I got extra memery for dos games to run, MS-DOS 6.22 comes with the above download. also all the system is ring fenced on your system , so PC is safe.

Ive already done it all for you, here is the virtual hard drive all done, just use it with virtualbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw17jxeeh67q8wp/DosVirtualHardDriveForVirtualBox.zip?dl=0


PS : I think a link to the console browser collections needs to be mentioned in this thread http://game-oldies.com/games-alphabetical-listing

Im requoteing as you guys are missing thousands of MS-DOS games you can actualy download and run & make saves from the achive emulator section, there are programs such as winimage that also create exe files from virtual floppies so you can run in a Dosbox.

Seeing and playing old games is a nice trip down memory lane....but for me I have learned my lesson that I really can't play them long, just too outdated compared to games today.  No doubt there were really some great games back then, but too far in the past for me to play them seriously.  I tried several old titles from GOG and at first they hold my attention, but after not too long, they become shelf-ware.

grim you have a point, but I like the old games that are very different from modern games, rougue like games and dwarf fortress are the type I mean, and there are plenty of old free games like startrek or very basic text&simple graphics sorts of games. you just don't see many anymore, but I like modern too ,
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 10, 2015, 09:30:15 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 09:28:07 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 10, 2015, 09:14:30 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 08:58:08 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 04:00:41 PM
if they are working in a dosbox, the save would be in the dosbox, and the dosbox is shared in the cloud by all users. but they could implement a virtual floppy on your PC maybe? but I like the anonymous use as it is now

did you guys find the 1.3GB thousands of dos software https://archive.org/compress/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23/formats=ZIP&file=/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23.zip just played doom and star trek on a virtualbox setup, just download free virtualbox( https://www.virtualbox.org/ I think its Oracle so its safe ) , and set the dos system disk(IBM-DOS 7.0) as a floppy and boot(switching virtual floppies as I go, the DOS system disks are part of the above download), I had to find a soundblaster16 sound driver( http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7 ) , but found a free one after a search. the IBM-DOS disks install a mouse for you, I also found a generic cd driver ( I attached it ) and now I have a full dos system running well I also added a second virtual drive, If you need any help just ask. I actually took the Memmaker files from MS-DOS 6.22 and put it into IBM-DOS and it worked, I got extra memery for dos games to run, MS-DOS 6.22 comes with the above download. also all the system is ring fenced on your system , so PC is safe.

Ive already done it all for you, here is the virtual hard drive all done, just use it with virtualbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw17jxeeh67q8wp/DosVirtualHardDriveForVirtualBox.zip?dl=0


PS : I think a link to the console browser collections needs to be mentioned in this thread http://game-oldies.com/games-alphabetical-listing

Im requoteing as you guys are missing thousands of MS-DOS games you can actualy download and run & make saves from the achive emulator section, there are programs such as winimage that also create exe files from virtual floppies so you can run in a Dosbox.

Seeing and playing old games is a nice trip down memory lane....but for me I have learned my lesson that I really can't play them long, just too outdated compared to games today.  No doubt there were really some great games back then, but too far in the past for me to play them seriously.  I tried several old titles from GOG and at first they hold my attention, but after not too long, they become shelf-ware.

grim you have a point, but I like the old games that are very different from modern games, rougue like games and dwarf fortress are the type I mean, and there are plenty of old free games like startrek or very basic text&simple graphics sorts of games. you just don't see many anymore, but I like modern too ,

No doubt some of them were great back then (or at least they seemed great)...nothing wrong with playing them if you like them, for me just not my thing anymore.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 11:50:16 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 10, 2015, 09:30:15 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 09:28:07 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 10, 2015, 09:14:30 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 08:58:08 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 04:00:41 PM
if they are working in a dosbox, the save would be in the dosbox, and the dosbox is shared in the cloud by all users. but they could implement a virtual floppy on your PC maybe? but I like the anonymous use as it is now

did you guys find the 1.3GB thousands of dos software https://archive.org/compress/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23/formats=ZIP&file=/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23.zip just played doom and star trek on a virtualbox setup, just download free virtualbox( https://www.virtualbox.org/ I think its Oracle so its safe ) , and set the dos system disk(IBM-DOS 7.0) as a floppy and boot(switching virtual floppies as I go, the DOS system disks are part of the above download), I had to find a soundblaster16 sound driver( http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7 ) , but found a free one after a search. the IBM-DOS disks install a mouse for you, I also found a generic cd driver ( I attached it ) and now I have a full dos system running well I also added a second virtual drive, If you need any help just ask. I actually took the Memmaker files from MS-DOS 6.22 and put it into IBM-DOS and it worked, I got extra memery for dos games to run, MS-DOS 6.22 comes with the above download. also all the system is ring fenced on your system , so PC is safe.

Ive already done it all for you, here is the virtual hard drive all done, just use it with virtualbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw17jxeeh67q8wp/DosVirtualHardDriveForVirtualBox.zip?dl=0


PS : I think a link to the console browser collections needs to be mentioned in this thread http://game-oldies.com/games-alphabetical-listing

Im requoteing as you guys are missing thousands of MS-DOS games you can actualy download and run & make saves from the achive emulator section, there are programs such as winimage that also create exe files from virtual floppies so you can run in a Dosbox.

Seeing and playing old games is a nice trip down memory lane....but for me I have learned my lesson that I really can't play them long, just too outdated compared to games today.  No doubt there were really some great games back then, but too far in the past for me to play them seriously.  I tried several old titles from GOG and at first they hold my attention, but after not too long, they become shelf-ware.

grim you have a point, but I like the old games that are very different from modern games, rougue like games and dwarf fortress are the type I mean, and there are plenty of old free games like startrek or very basic text&simple graphics sorts of games. you just don't see many anymore, but I like modern too ,

No doubt some of them were great back then (or at least they seemed great)...nothing wrong with playing them if you like them, for me just not my thing anymore.

the dos system I setup above allows the iso images of disks to be used , and the archive has plenyy of them

https://archive.org/search.php?query=mediatype:software&sort=-publicdate&and[]=collection%3A%22cdbbsarchive%22

https://archive.org/search.php?query=mediatype:software&sort=-publicdate&and[]=collection%3A%22coverdiscs%22

the system dos hardrive I made is great , its a true dos system not a dosbox so just use the CD images with it.

Grim I know what you say forza5 on an xbox one is something to behold.
Title: Re: Welp, if you don't have enough games to waste time with now...
Post by: airboy on January 10, 2015, 01:47:41 PM
Quote from: Uberhaus on January 09, 2015, 11:11:54 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 05, 2015, 08:17:35 PM
MS Space Simulator is there as well. That's a hard game to track down nowadays.

Is stuff this all legal?  ???

I hope so.  They state they have a DMCA exemption, but I am no lawyer.  https://archive.org/about/dmca.php (https://archive.org/about/dmca.php)

Late to the party, nevermind.

Thanks - that was interesting reading.
Title: Re: 2400 DOS Games streamed online
Post by: Greybriar on January 10, 2015, 05:30:30 PM
+1

Thanks for the link, Uberhaus!  O0