2400 DOS Games streamed online

Started by BanzaiCat, January 05, 2015, 06:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 09:28:07 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 10, 2015, 09:14:30 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 08:58:08 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 04:00:41 PM
if they are working in a dosbox, the save would be in the dosbox, and the dosbox is shared in the cloud by all users. but they could implement a virtual floppy on your PC maybe? but I like the anonymous use as it is now

did you guys find the 1.3GB thousands of dos software https://archive.org/compress/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23/formats=ZIP&file=/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23.zip just played doom and star trek on a virtualbox setup, just download free virtualbox( https://www.virtualbox.org/ I think its Oracle so its safe ) , and set the dos system disk(IBM-DOS 7.0) as a floppy and boot(switching virtual floppies as I go, the DOS system disks are part of the above download), I had to find a soundblaster16 sound driver( http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7 ) , but found a free one after a search. the IBM-DOS disks install a mouse for you, I also found a generic cd driver ( I attached it ) and now I have a full dos system running well I also added a second virtual drive, If you need any help just ask. I actually took the Memmaker files from MS-DOS 6.22 and put it into IBM-DOS and it worked, I got extra memery for dos games to run, MS-DOS 6.22 comes with the above download. also all the system is ring fenced on your system , so PC is safe.

Ive already done it all for you, here is the virtual hard drive all done, just use it with virtualbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw17jxeeh67q8wp/DosVirtualHardDriveForVirtualBox.zip?dl=0


PS : I think a link to the console browser collections needs to be mentioned in this thread http://game-oldies.com/games-alphabetical-listing

Im requoteing as you guys are missing thousands of MS-DOS games you can actualy download and run & make saves from the achive emulator section, there are programs such as winimage that also create exe files from virtual floppies so you can run in a Dosbox.

Seeing and playing old games is a nice trip down memory lane....but for me I have learned my lesson that I really can't play them long, just too outdated compared to games today.  No doubt there were really some great games back then, but too far in the past for me to play them seriously.  I tried several old titles from GOG and at first they hold my attention, but after not too long, they become shelf-ware.

grim you have a point, but I like the old games that are very different from modern games, rougue like games and dwarf fortress are the type I mean, and there are plenty of old free games like startrek or very basic text&simple graphics sorts of games. you just don't see many anymore, but I like modern too ,

No doubt some of them were great back then (or at least they seemed great)...nothing wrong with playing them if you like them, for me just not my thing anymore.

gameleaper

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 10, 2015, 09:30:15 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 09:28:07 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 10, 2015, 09:14:30 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 08:58:08 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 04:00:41 PM
if they are working in a dosbox, the save would be in the dosbox, and the dosbox is shared in the cloud by all users. but they could implement a virtual floppy on your PC maybe? but I like the anonymous use as it is now

did you guys find the 1.3GB thousands of dos software https://archive.org/compress/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23/formats=ZIP&file=/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23.zip just played doom and star trek on a virtualbox setup, just download free virtualbox( https://www.virtualbox.org/ I think its Oracle so its safe ) , and set the dos system disk(IBM-DOS 7.0) as a floppy and boot(switching virtual floppies as I go, the DOS system disks are part of the above download), I had to find a soundblaster16 sound driver( http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7 ) , but found a free one after a search. the IBM-DOS disks install a mouse for you, I also found a generic cd driver ( I attached it ) and now I have a full dos system running well I also added a second virtual drive, If you need any help just ask. I actually took the Memmaker files from MS-DOS 6.22 and put it into IBM-DOS and it worked, I got extra memery for dos games to run, MS-DOS 6.22 comes with the above download. also all the system is ring fenced on your system , so PC is safe.

Ive already done it all for you, here is the virtual hard drive all done, just use it with virtualbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw17jxeeh67q8wp/DosVirtualHardDriveForVirtualBox.zip?dl=0


PS : I think a link to the console browser collections needs to be mentioned in this thread http://game-oldies.com/games-alphabetical-listing

Im requoteing as you guys are missing thousands of MS-DOS games you can actualy download and run & make saves from the achive emulator section, there are programs such as winimage that also create exe files from virtual floppies so you can run in a Dosbox.

Seeing and playing old games is a nice trip down memory lane....but for me I have learned my lesson that I really can't play them long, just too outdated compared to games today.  No doubt there were really some great games back then, but too far in the past for me to play them seriously.  I tried several old titles from GOG and at first they hold my attention, but after not too long, they become shelf-ware.

grim you have a point, but I like the old games that are very different from modern games, rougue like games and dwarf fortress are the type I mean, and there are plenty of old free games like startrek or very basic text&simple graphics sorts of games. you just don't see many anymore, but I like modern too ,

No doubt some of them were great back then (or at least they seemed great)...nothing wrong with playing them if you like them, for me just not my thing anymore.

the dos system I setup above allows the iso images of disks to be used , and the archive has plenyy of them

https://archive.org/search.php?query=mediatype:software&sort=-publicdate&and[]=collection%3A%22cdbbsarchive%22

https://archive.org/search.php?query=mediatype:software&sort=-publicdate&and[]=collection%3A%22coverdiscs%22

the system dos hardrive I made is great , its a true dos system not a dosbox so just use the CD images with it.

Grim I know what you say forza5 on an xbox one is something to behold.

airboy

Quote from: Uberhaus on January 09, 2015, 11:11:54 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 05, 2015, 08:17:35 PM
MS Space Simulator is there as well. That's a hard game to track down nowadays.

Is stuff this all legal?  ???

I hope so.  They state they have a DMCA exemption, but I am no lawyer.  https://archive.org/about/dmca.php

Late to the party, nevermind.

Thanks - that was interesting reading.

Greybriar

+1

Thanks for the link, Uberhaus!  O0
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.