GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 11:50:12 AM

Title: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 11:50:12 AM
OORAH! The link for pre-orders is out!
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: bbmike on January 30, 2015, 11:57:05 AM
Just curious, how can it be 'released' if it's a pre-order?  ???
Is it early access?
Sometimes, I do miss the old days.  :buck2:
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Great Ajax on January 30, 2015, 11:58:49 AM
People who pre-ordered the game get notified via email that the game download is available before the game is officially announced on the webpage as released.  It's just to allow the folks who pre-ordered to get a jump on the download before the masses.

Trey
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 12:01:56 PM
Yeah...it actually says in the email not to tell anyone because it may result in a surge of pre-orders, but I can't download until I get home tonight anyway... :'(
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: mikeck on January 30, 2015, 12:03:47 PM
How long until the unwashed masses can go to the site and buy the game and download?
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: bbmike on January 30, 2015, 12:07:06 PM
Ah, that makes sense. And good timing I suppose as Russia has started flying bombers over the English Channel.  ::)
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Cyrano on January 30, 2015, 12:14:34 PM
To repeat...

AAAAAAGH...trapped at work...

OK, only one this time...

Jim
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: sandman2575 on January 30, 2015, 12:21:44 PM
Quote from: mikeck on January 30, 2015, 12:03:47 PM
How long until the unwashed masses can go to the site and buy the game and download?

Anyone know?  I have to assume at some point later today if not tomorrow.  I didn't pre-order 'cause I'm so completely engrossed in Red Thunder (and feel very out of my depth in the arena of modern warfare) -- but y'all have whipped up so much excitement that I now want in on the fun too   8)
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: fabius on January 30, 2015, 12:22:55 PM
Was going to buy pre order until I saw shipping cost of £27 !!
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 01:18:21 PM
^ yep  :'(

If they did a pre-order download, they'd have had my money a month ago
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: MikeGER on January 30, 2015, 01:29:03 PM
i did some forum archeology over at BF
and it looks like the last time around (with CMRT) about 3hous after the first preloaders reported their downloads it was unlocked for all.

this lead to an estimate of 20:00 GMT   :)
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: fabius on January 30, 2015, 01:36:07 PM
Quote from: MikeGER on January 30, 2015, 01:29:03 PM
i did some forum archeology over at BF
and it looks like the last time around (with CMRT) about 3hous after the first preloaders reported their downloads it was unlocked for all.

this lead to an estimate of 20:00 GMT   :)

Thanks for head up. I can get some work done and refresh form 8
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: sandman2575 on January 30, 2015, 01:50:16 PM
I hope some of the terrific modders like Aris will turn their talents to Black Sea. My CMx2 WWII modules are pretty nattily tricked out with mods and they look and sound fantastic -- but vanilla CMx2 is a bit garish on both counts.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Cyrano on January 30, 2015, 02:00:42 PM
It's funny you say that Sandman as, during one of my recent games with Doug, I was remarking on how much better unmodded CMx2 is than was the case for CMx1.  I had an entire external hard drive filled with CM:BB mods and once specced a PC just to run my particular flavor of grass modification suitably.

I have, if I recall correctly, no mods on any of my CMx2 since SF.

Courses for horses, I suppose.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 02:03:09 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 12:01:56 PM
Yeah...it actually says in the email not to tell anyone because it may result in a surge of pre-orders, but I can't download until I get home tonight anyway... :'(
After yer shite trick last night, why not let me download it for you JH?  :P
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 02:05:33 PM
I always found the mods too much hassle when I looked. Mod for this tank. Mod for that tank. Mod for Rangers. Mod for Parachute troops. Mod for rifle sounds. Mod for SMG sounds.

Way, way too much hassle. I of course appreciate the hard work people put into them...but knowing what mods to use and which ones always seemed like incredibly hard work
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: endfire79 on January 30, 2015, 02:10:18 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 02:05:33 PM
I always found the mods too much hassle when I looked. Mod for this tank. Mod for that tank. Mod for Rangers. Mod for Parachute troops. Mod for rifle sounds. Mod for SMG sounds.

Way, way too much hassle. I of course appreciate the hard work people put into them...but knowing what mods to use and which ones always seemed like incredibly hard work

I hear you on that one Dredd.  I lost a lot of time for adding mods in other games. I really wanted a game that was great from the get go, with regular fixes or improvements.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: sandman2575 on January 30, 2015, 02:20:47 PM
No question setting up a proper "Z" folder for your CM mods -- downloading hundreds of different vehicle skins, landscape and building retextures, uniforms, and other effects etc. etc. etc. -- and then getting some not to override others -- is a Gigantic Pain In The Ass. 

But that said -- I think it's totally worth it!  Once you've got it set up, just back it up somewhere safe, and you're good to go for years.

I'm constantly amazed at just how good CMx2 looks and sounds with the mods that are available for it.  It's stunning -- considerably better than Graviteam Tactics overall (although GTOS does create a wintry landscape and lighting gloominess that's hard to match), to say nothing of games like Company of Heroes or Men of War.

I guess it's all about what you're willing to put up with.  CMx2 out of the box looks and sounds fine, certainly good enough for an enjoyable experience.  But the look you can get with mods is for me transformative -- almost like what you get in the difference b/t vanilla and tricked out Skyrim.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Nefaro on January 30, 2015, 02:26:25 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on January 30, 2015, 01:50:16 PM
I hope some of the terrific modders like Aris will turn their talents to Black Sea.

He did a cloud mod for WOFF last year which became official in it's expansion.  I remember some of his terrain stuff for the old CMs too.  O0
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 02:30:04 PM
I'm done looking tonight...I might try again later if I can be bothered

For all you lucky sods that have it tonight, good luck, enjoy and post impressions back here asap pls.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Con on January 30, 2015, 02:38:06 PM
Snuck out of work for this one.  Its downloading now going slow must be a lot of preorders on this one O0

Con
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: endfire79 on January 30, 2015, 02:40:42 PM
Quote from: fabius on January 30, 2015, 12:22:55 PM
Was going to buy pre order until I saw shipping cost of £27 !!

is it a shipping cost only to UK orders?

Anyone know what's the shipping cost for North American orders?
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 02:52:07 PM
Quote from: endfire79 on January 30, 2015, 02:40:42 PM
Quote from: fabius on January 30, 2015, 12:22:55 PM
Was going to buy pre order until I saw shipping cost of £27 !!

is it a shipping cost only to UK orders?

Anyone know what's the shipping cost for North American orders?

Its foreign shipping that is the issue. Domestic ship rates are standard.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 02:53:10 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 02:03:09 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 12:01:56 PM
Yeah...it actually says in the email not to tell anyone because it may result in a surge of pre-orders, but I can't download until I get home tonight anyway... :'(
After yer shite trick last night, why not let me download it for you JH?  :P

I only did it because I love you. We hurt the ones we love the most.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: fabius on January 30, 2015, 02:58:19 PM
It is here!!!

Regular order download  :D
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: MikeGER on January 30, 2015, 02:58:39 PM
Downloading ! (just bought it)
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 30, 2015, 02:59:20 PM
Got my regular order too...will download tonight
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Con on January 30, 2015, 03:06:45 PM
You villinous scum are slowing down my pre order download....how rude ;D
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Cyrano on January 30, 2015, 03:26:19 PM
Looking at about 3 hours here on a pretty fat pipe...

Then again, we all remember when something weighing in at roughly 5g would have been DAYS.

Really must calculate how long this would have taken at 2400 BAUD.

Jim
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: sandman2575 on January 30, 2015, 03:35:17 PM
Any word on whether Black Sea features a campaign (or better, campaigns) - ?  Haven't seen word on this over at Battlefront. 
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Toonces on January 30, 2015, 03:35:45 PM
I'll be picking this up shortly; hopefully you nutters on the mainland will be done by then!   :crazy2:
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: undercovergeek on January 30, 2015, 03:36:51 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on January 30, 2015, 03:35:17 PM
Any word on whether Black Sea features a campaign (or better, campaigns) - ?  Haven't seen word on this over at Battlefront.

There are indeed
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 30, 2015, 03:37:49 PM
Well - I think the server just crashed - not even getting a response from my download link. If I didn't love CM so much I would be angry. :knuppel2:
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 03:39:49 PM
Quote from: fabius on January 30, 2015, 02:58:19 PM
It is here!!!

Regular order download  :D
I'm not buying out of principle  :P
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 03:42:16 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 03:39:49 PM
Quote from: fabius on January 30, 2015, 02:58:19 PM
It is here!!!

Regular order download  :D
I'm not buying out of principle  :P

Cutting your nose off to spite your face again, I see... :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 03:48:23 PM
You have to play to your skill set  ;D
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: sandman2575 on January 30, 2015, 03:52:32 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 30, 2015, 03:36:51 PM
There are indeed

Sold, then. 

When Red Thunder came out, I was disappointed it only had 2 main campaigns... then I started the German "Blunting the Spear" campaign -- and I'm still not done with it (after a few false starts plus the annoying "26% Bug" that interfered) -- anyway, it's freaking HUGE, and I've poured many hours into it, with a ways still to go....

Much, much prefer the campaigns to the one-off Quick Missions.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 03:55:24 PM
2 hours 30 minutes left...Justin time to complete for bedtime   :D
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: fabius on January 30, 2015, 04:07:00 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on January 30, 2015, 03:37:49 PM
Well - I think the server just crashed - not even getting a response from my download link. If I didn't love CM so much I would be angry. :knuppel2:

Had that too. Just be patient and keep clicking each step.

Longest for me was the green download tab.

Eventually it took. Have 90 minutes before my battle-group rolls
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: endfire79 on January 30, 2015, 04:10:42 PM
Quote from: fabius on January 30, 2015, 04:07:00 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on January 30, 2015, 03:37:49 PM
Well - I think the server just crashed - not even getting a response from my download link. If I didn't love CM so much I would be angry. :knuppel2:

Had that too. Just be patient and keep clicking each step.

Longest for me was the green download tab.

Eventually it took. Have 90 minutes before my battle-group rolls


This sounds complicated...  Is it downloading through a custom installer GUI or something? 
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 30, 2015, 04:25:03 PM
Quote from: endfire79 on January 30, 2015, 04:10:42 PM
Quote from: fabius on January 30, 2015, 04:07:00 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on January 30, 2015, 03:37:49 PM
Well - I think the server just crashed - not even getting a response from my download link. If I didn't love CM so much I would be angry. :knuppel2:

Had that too. Just be patient and keep clicking each step.

Longest for me was the green download tab.

Eventually it took. Have 90 minutes before my battle-group rolls


This sounds complicated...  Is it downloading through a custom installer GUI or something?

No - its just sharefile - pretty standard stuff. I must also add that I have never had this issue with any previous games. It must mean this one is hugely popular. Which might be a little frustrating but is good news as far as I am concerned. The stuff these guys produce is superlative and nothing come close IMHO so the more money they make the better. There are plenty people in the world who make far more and don't deserve a fraction of it. there is always tomorrow. :smitten:
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: fabius on January 30, 2015, 04:42:59 PM
Yeah I had the feeling from it the server was just busy and had to be luck on the click or wait in line.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: panzerde on January 30, 2015, 05:24:12 PM
Looks like Elvis is at work. My first d/l kak'd, but when I restarted it there was an entirely different looking process. I'm getting about twice the throughput I was getting. Still not what I'd like, but has cut the projected time in half.

Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 05:34:33 PM
My download has been kicked now. 50% too :'(

Well...it is bedtime anyway. I'll leave it running, see if it downloads overnight
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: fabius on January 30, 2015, 05:40:00 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 05:34:33 PM
My download has been kicked now. 50% too :'(

Well...it is bedtime anyway. I'll leave it running, see if it downloads overnight

Mine look stuck at 57%  :tickedoff:
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Con on January 30, 2015, 06:13:17 PM
First play through very rushed wouldnt be fair to give it anything but very very superficial impressions.  I played a Ukrainian force defending a town from the Russians

1. Looks and plays very polished all those familiar with CMBN will feel right at home.  Turns, ordering and WEGO playback was smooth as butter
2. I am not used to how fast and lethal modern war is need to totally readjust my thinking if you see it you need to kill it ASAP
3. Swimming tanks = nasty surprise bridges no longer choke points
4. Game is crying out for modding the tanks and APC models are very bland
5. The rest of the terrain is more atmospheric than CMBN etc but still somewhat sparse.  Flavor objects are there and plentiful but it still feels (subjective) somewhat artificial.  But I feel the same way about the stock textures in CMBN so modding perhaps will help this as well also I only played the one scenario so I could be totally off base with this.

My two cents I cant wait to spend more time playing it.  Now who is up for a PBEM game?

Con
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: jomni on January 30, 2015, 06:46:45 PM
Funny how you need to click 3 or 4 different "DOWNLOAD" buttons to actually get to start downloading.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 07:12:55 PM
^Not only that, but my download has been "preparing" for 15 minutes...I'm not even downloading the thing yet.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: jomni on January 30, 2015, 07:15:01 PM
My first attempt "Timed out"  :buck2:
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 07:15:13 PM
That is a bad sign.  I have had so many attempts at downloading it since this morning, I have become an expert at the warning signs.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: fabius on January 30, 2015, 07:19:58 PM
Quote from: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 07:15:13 PM
That is a bad sign.  I have had so many attempts at downloading it since this morning, I have become an expert at the warning signs.

Is yours done?

Aw gawd, this is shocking download service in 21st Century.

Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 07:25:22 PM
No, and I started at 10:30AM, even before the preorder note came out.  I just happened to check.  I have 10-11 failed messages in my download tab.  It is at 1Gb with 400kb speed.  But it keeps dropping to 100kb...which is a bad sign.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: fabius on January 30, 2015, 07:36:31 PM
Fingers crossed. 74%, steady 2.33 mb and less that 10 minutes to go....
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: jomni on January 30, 2015, 07:37:10 PM
Look at what you have done!
You guys hyped this game too much!
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: fabius on January 30, 2015, 07:45:13 PM
Somebody just posted over at BF forum that the game comes with 330 quick battle maps  O0

and les than 2 minutes...   :D
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 07:59:35 PM
I am now officially done for the night...my last attempt got to 2Gb and crashed.  Is anyone at BFC really paying attention to this?  As good as the games are, it seems BFC always manages to cock something up enough to make we wonder why I go through all of this...the Graviteam syndrome.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: fabius on January 30, 2015, 08:02:14 PM
Oh good grief. Got to the end of download. passed 100% and just carried on downloading. Paused it after awhile and unpaused and it was at 30% again.  :idiot2:
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 08:03:29 PM
Yeah, this is not a straight up server capacity issue.  There is a lot of weird stuff happening.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: panzerde on January 30, 2015, 08:17:11 PM
Installed and played the first tutorial campaign mission, just to get a look at the game before I tried anything more substantial. Like Con, it's too early for me to give detailed impressions but the game seems to work without issue with good framerates on my rig, with everything turned all the way up on the graphics.


The big shocker for everyone is going to be the engagement ranges and speeds. Time to master the art of not being seen!
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Toonces on January 30, 2015, 08:38:40 PM
Glad I decided to go ahead and go surfing this afternoon.   :P

Anyway, now that all you clowns are heading to be we islanders can get some!
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: jomni on January 30, 2015, 08:47:19 PM
ok. 80% and the speed has slowed down tremendously.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 08:49:36 PM
warning sign
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: endfire79 on January 30, 2015, 09:27:24 PM
Quote from: panzerde on January 30, 2015, 08:17:11 PM

The big shocker for everyone is going to be the engagement ranges and speeds. Time to master the art of not being seen!

I'm curious about how that works out in the game.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 09:45:54 PM
So how do you handle customers upset by poor service...tell them to f' off and stop buying from you.  Good to see the old BFC attitude come out under pressure.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117766-downloads-not-working-for-many-of-us/
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 09:48:31 PM
Wouldn't most companies just go on their forum and apologize?  I mean just saying "we understand your frustration and we'll fix it for next time" go a long way.  Why are they so damned antagonistic.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: jomni on January 30, 2015, 09:55:31 PM
Finally installed.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Staggerwing on January 30, 2015, 09:59:17 PM
Maybe BF is always in siege mode because they're always being besieged? Now I don't have a canis in this fight but drop in to the BF forums on any random occasion and there is more drama than even the most lurid of telenovelas can deliver.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 10:02:15 PM
On a whim before going to bed, I tried it...crashed after 3Gb...tried it again, running at 6Mb/s now. 

So my day...

17 failed downloads, 1 made it to 4.2Gb, 3 made it past 3Gb, 4 made it to 1Gb, the rest were sub 1Gb.  On my first attem[pt, I got some spikes at 1.5Mb/s...that was around 10AM.  Never saw more that 500Mb after that.  Now suddenly cranking.  I have yet to see any explanation that can account for that performance. I estimate I lost three hours fiddling with this issue...over the 12 hour ordeal.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 10:05:03 PM
But they should be under siege for this one.  The initial reaction to posters was it was something they were doing.  Instead of just sucking it up, they let it fester on their forums for many hours.  And then their response was classic.

They only look at it as you couldn't play your game for several hours.  They don't realize that in the vacuum created by their lack of response, people wasted their own time trying to figure it out.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: mikeck on January 30, 2015, 10:26:15 PM
I've had problems with Battlefront customer relations in the past (the way they talk to their customers) and I'm a pretty easy going guy. I saw that Battlefronts response is that "we could have delayed it another day but you guys were complaining...so be glad at least some of you are getting it".

I wouldn't mind a slow download but the amount of people who have waited ours to have it fail is a bit ridiculous.

I'm buying it but think I will wait a few days
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 30, 2015, 11:08:09 PM
I guess I got lucky with the timing of my download....downloaded in about 45 minutes with no disruptions or restarts and have successfully installed.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: panzerde on January 30, 2015, 11:32:35 PM
Download disruptions aside, I've started the first US campaign mission and this is seriously FUN! This game plays very, very differently than CMSF. The enemy are serious opposition, not like most of the OPFOR in CMSF. The modern systems, including UAVs and the upgraded AFVs are cool to play with and much more lethal.

I nailed my first T-72 about thirty seconds in, across the entire width of the map with an ATGM from a Bradley. Completely lucky shot; the Russians just happened to have a tank platoon on some high ground that was directly in view of where I moved the scout Brad during my initial turn. The gunner fired the missile and then the Brad popped smoke and backed up REAL fast to get out of LOS of the other two tanks. It was certainly an exciting way to start my first game!



Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Pinetree on January 30, 2015, 11:59:38 PM
Quote from: endfire79 on January 30, 2015, 09:27:24 PM
Quote from: panzerde on January 30, 2015, 08:17:11 PM

The big shocker for everyone is going to be the engagement ranges and speeds. Time to master the art of not being seen!

I'm curious about how that works out in the game.

Like this:  ;)

Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Cyrano on January 31, 2015, 12:30:51 AM
Ca. 2 hour download, give or take, and installed without a hitch.

Must try larger maps because, if I didn't know better, I would swear I'm getting slightly better...stress on slightly...performance than in CM:RT.

Yep, lots of re-learning to do...much as Doug is instructing me in Flashpoint, being seen can equal being very quickly dead.

Interesting that there are three campaigns but only a bit over a dozen scenarios.  In cherry-pick mode, however, there is an awful lot to play with.

BOOM.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Toonces on January 31, 2015, 02:15:42 AM
Guess who's downloading CM:BS? 

Damn straight!   :-*
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 31, 2015, 02:47:36 AM
One thing I read on their forum which sent me on a more successful pah was NOT to use a download manager - seems they don't play nice with where the files are.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: MikeGER on January 31, 2015, 02:58:55 AM
i downloaded overnight, this morn i found it aborted at 44% , but was able to continue O0 ....much faster O0 ...went for a quick breakfast ...file compleat and no CRC errors, installed /activated without any problem...
restarted the PC and Avira Virus  protection gives an heuristic hit on the CM exe-file ... i put it in the scan-exclude list. (i remember that happened with CM Italy when it was new too) .... no problem)

     
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 31, 2015, 03:48:04 AM
Quote from: panzerde on January 30, 2015, 11:32:35 PM
Download disruptions aside, I've started the first US campaign mission and this is seriously FUN! This game plays very, very differently than CMSF. The enemy are serious opposition, not like most of the OPFOR in CMSF. The modern systems, including UAVs and the upgraded AFVs are cool to play with and much more lethal.

I nailed my first T-72 about thirty seconds in, across the entire width of the map with an ATGM from a Bradley. Completely lucky shot; the Russians just happened to have a tank platoon on some high ground that was directly in view of where I moved the scout Brad during my initial turn. The gunner fired the missile and then the Brad popped smoke and backed up REAL fast to get out of LOS of the other two tanks. It was certainly an exciting way to start my first game!
This was my one dislike of CMSF. I'm glad there's some serious kit to take on...I was a bit bored with the RPG's, technicals and T60's
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 31, 2015, 04:23:33 AM
Quote from: MikeGER on January 31, 2015, 02:58:55 AM
i downloaded overnight, this morn i found it aborted at 44% , but was able to continue O0 ....much faster O0 ...went for a quick breakfast ...file compleat and no CRC errors, installed /activated without any problem...
restarted the PC and Avira Virus  protection gives an heuristic hit on the CM exe-file ... i put it in the scan-exclude list. (i remember that happened with CM Italy when it was new too) .... no problem)

   

Excellent - its now down loading really fast.  I am up to 7.5 GB of a supposedly 5 GB file. Doubtless that means something is wrong. Sigh :(
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 31, 2015, 04:38:44 AM
ffs...Does anyone know what size the file is? Because it says 5.02GB as the download size, but it's already downloaded6.77GB and it's still going  :knuppel2:
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 31, 2015, 04:43:26 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 31, 2015, 04:38:44 AM
ffs...Does anyone know what size the file is? Because it says 5.02GB as the download size, but it's already downloaded6.77GB and it's still going  :knuppel2:

Its ok best to leave it running - mine did the same - but everyyhing installed ok. Loaded a scenario  up - freaking awesome ... going to enjoy this one.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 31, 2015, 05:05:51 AM
It has now finished, but it reported 7.3GB!!
Title: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Yskonyn on January 31, 2015, 05:48:28 AM
At least you guys can play after a bit of work and frustration.
Look at the bright side: I, for one, am still stuck at some hotel without a laptop and I won't be home until 6am tomorrow morning. Then need to sleep. So my earliest intro with the full game will be in 28 hrs or so from now.
You are all just a bunch of entitled whiners! [emoji1]

Yes you too! *point to the back*
And you can sit down again too, cause I meant you too. *points to the side*

.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: fabius on January 31, 2015, 06:28:07 AM
Downloaded mine first thing this morning, was faster.

Have to work this afternoon, but going to "get-some" tonight.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: RyanE on January 31, 2015, 06:47:57 AM
Mine finally finished its download after I went to bed.  I am genuinely curious what is going on.  There are still people on the BFC forums saying they are getting very slow downloads.  There has to be something wrong on the server side.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 31, 2015, 07:08:43 AM
Mine finished overnight too.

I'm annoyed to see that Battlefront still has not figured out a way to solve the webroot AV problem. Why do I have disable my realtime shield in order to play this game? Totally unacceptable.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: jomni on January 31, 2015, 07:24:45 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 31, 2015, 07:08:43 AM
Mine finished overnight too.

I'm annoyed to see that Battlefront still has not figured out a way to solve the webroot AV problem. Why do I have disable my realtime shield in order to play this game? Totally unacceptable.

I think I'm fine.  No need to fiddle with AV settings.  I'm using Avira.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 31, 2015, 07:27:45 AM
I'm currently assaulting the banks of the Dnieper  ;D
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Yskonyn on January 31, 2015, 07:27:52 AM
Norton is fine with my CM games too, as long as I mark them in its whitelist.


.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: jomni on January 31, 2015, 07:32:10 AM
My first mission is a quick battle.  Russia vs Ukraine.  I play the Russians on the attack.

(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4V0UhUeY2xM/VMzJDm2GoTI/AAAAAAAAJb0/pIfajj65rDU/w1598-h899-no/CM%2BBlack%2BSea%2B2015-01-31%2B19-28-13-92.jpg)
(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oTneyh2odm8/VMzJEkf7hEI/AAAAAAAAJcI/T0mElIlLYv4/w1598-h899-no/CM%2BBlack%2BSea%2B2015-01-31%2B20-17-24-55.jpg)
More pictures in the screenshot section.
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=948.msg328175#msg328175
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 31, 2015, 07:39:28 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on January 31, 2015, 07:27:52 AM
Norton is fine with my CM games too, as long as I mark them in its whitelist.


.

For my download of CMBS, I had to make no changes to Norton.  Download and install went off without having to whitelist anything so maybe they made some tweaks with this version for Norton.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: fabius on January 31, 2015, 07:45:53 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 31, 2015, 07:32:10 AM
My first mission is a quick battle.  Russia vs Ukraine.  I play the Russians on the attack.

(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4V0UhUeY2xM/VMzJDm2GoTI/AAAAAAAAJb0/pIfajj65rDU/w1598-h899-no/CM%2BBlack%2BSea%2B2015-01-31%2B19-28-13-92.jpg)
(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oTneyh2odm8/VMzJEkf7hEI/AAAAAAAAJcI/T0mElIlLYv4/w1598-h899-no/CM%2BBlack%2BSea%2B2015-01-31%2B20-17-24-55.jpg)
More pictures in the screenshot section.
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=948.msg328175#msg328175

Ouch, how did that happen??

And it's encouraging if battle AI can do that on the defence. Wonder how it does on meeting engagements and attack.

Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: jomni on January 31, 2015, 07:52:47 AM
Quote from: fabius on January 31, 2015, 07:45:53 AM
Ouch, how did that happen??

And it's encouraging if battle AI can do that on the defence. Wonder how it does on meeting engagements and attack.

Well-placed ATGMs and RPG's.  My BTR's don't really stand a chance to even the most basic anti-tank weapons.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 31, 2015, 07:53:43 AM
Quote from: RyanE on January 31, 2015, 06:47:57 AM
Mine finally finished its download after I went to bed.  I am genuinely curious what is going on.  There are still people on the BFC forums saying they are getting very slow downloads.  There has to be something wrong on the server side.

I guess we'll never know the total scope of the issues......there is no doubt people who experienced issues have a right to be upset since many pre-ordered and were excited to play a game that took forever to download.  Even though there were a number of people who reported the issue over at the official forums and here, that still likely is a very small percentage of the actual people who downloaded it.  We'll never know if everyone else was mostly fine or whether they just don't post in forums.  Most people only post in forums when they are having a bad experience while the other people may have had a good experience and was playing the game.  In my case, my download was completed in 45 minutes with no issues but it was in the evening since I couldn't start it until I got home.  I am sure I would have been one of the frustrated people if it happened to me.  There is no doubt that BF sometimes lacks good communication skills and compassion with their customers, which often adds unneeded fuel to the fire but I don't see that changing much, although Chris over there seems to be the exception in many cases.

There is no doubt for the next release that BF will hold off releasing the finished product for a day or two to ensure all the download servers are properly setup to avoid this situation but likely a no win situation for them since people will be hounding them to release the game as soon as possible.  Hopefully everything becomes better today and the talk moves towards the game itself and people get a chance to play.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: fabius on January 31, 2015, 08:21:34 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 31, 2015, 07:52:47 AM
Quote from: fabius on January 31, 2015, 07:45:53 AM
Ouch, how did that happen??

And it's encouraging if battle AI can do that on the defence. Wonder how it does on meeting engagements and attack.

Well-placed ATGMs and RPG's.  My BTR's don't really stand a chance to even the most basic anti-tank weapons.

Well placed in a QB... great !!  8)

I'm hoping QBs are good enough for me to make and play some kind of solo campaign, tracking things outside of the game.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: sandman2575 on January 31, 2015, 09:00:07 AM
There are already sound and effects mods available -- can't wait to give these a try --  hate the stock 'laser beam' tracers, and stock sound's a little bland --

http://community.battlefront.com/forum/101-cm-black-sea-maps-and-mods/ (http://community.battlefront.com/forum/101-cm-black-sea-maps-and-mods/)
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Elvis on January 31, 2015, 10:03:30 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 31, 2015, 07:53:43 AM
although Chris over there seems to be the exception in many cases.

HEY!! What about me?

QuoteThere is no doubt for the next release that BF will hold off releasing the finished product for a day or two to ensure all the download servers are properly setup to avoid this situation but likely a no win situation for them since people will be hounding them to release the game as soon as possible.  Hopefully everything becomes better today and the talk moves towards the game itself and people get a chance to play.

You are correct. RyanE has been asking about why it happened, I know Chris and Steve have each posted about it and I answered his question directly to him but in the interest of clarity, when the game (or any download) is put up on the Amazon server it propagates to other servers. This takes some time. Also, as a download gets "more action", it propagates to even more. Allowing it to sit on the servers for a day before the downloads start increases the number of servers that the download is available on and reduces bottlenecks. As Steve said in the link that RyanE posted, the policy now will be to have it up for a day before releasing the game. As you say, it is a no win situation, especially when people are clambering for the game and it is already behind schedule.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 31, 2015, 10:07:35 AM
Quote from: Elvis on January 31, 2015, 10:03:30 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 31, 2015, 07:53:43 AM
although Chris over there seems to be the exception in many cases.

HEY!! What about me?



Oops:)  Of course you have been very helpful here and your honesty has been appreciated, I was more referring to the official messages that are delivered on the official forums.
Title: Re: CM: Black Sea RELEASED!!!!
Post by: RyanE on February 04, 2015, 11:34:30 AM
So here is the semi-final say from Steve...

"Citrix update. Today they say they now fully understand the problem and are implementing a solution. I do not know when this will be complete, but I will update this thread as information comes in.

The problem seems to have started on Thursday, one day before we released. Obviously the timing was not good for any of us.

Steve"

So it wasn't the customer's issue.  This is one of those times Steve should have just said "we are looking into it".  Instead he kind of took a pretty aggressive stance that it wasn't their problem.  He needs to learn that he only makes it worse for BFC with his reactions to any perceived criticism from the masses.