Having nothing to do with Australia, though, I will be going full on medieval this weekend with:
Continuing to delve into
Vengeance, and perhaps playing with the editor a bit...
I've been hankering to spend more time on my campaign in
Mount and Blade...
And rounding everything out with
CK2 and (somewhat medieval)
Morrowind.
I also can't rule out playing with some modern warfare type titles, but I'm not ready to commit just yet. I just saw
Fury, though, so I'm kinda in a mood to play with tanks for some reason. :P
Good tune. I remember it from my "turning of age"
Another great one by him
Not much I guess...the 6 Nations rugby tournament continues this weekend which means much alcohol - and that doesn't go well with gaming.
I will do some though and likely from this list
ARMA IIICombat Mission:Black Sea - heading across the Dnieper
DCS:Black Shark - I decided to focus on the Shark. I took her out for her "familiarity" mission the other night. Startup sequence and weapons training need to happen before I go into the campaign any further though
That's probably it.
I'm tying to finish games that can be "finished" so I can clear my desktop. Not that they aren't good games and I want to get rid of them...rather I feel the need finish them so I have "had my money's worth" out of them. Mostly FPS games like Bioshock:Infinite, ARMA III, Max Payne 3, Splinter Cell:Blacklist (or is it Chaos Theory??). All good games - but I feel compelled to justify buying them by completing them. ARMA III will likely stay on my HD though as there is alot you can do with the sand box mode.
It being Friday here in Singapore and me being an Australian qualifies me to comment in this thread...
The weekend has just started with a red wine and a full agenda of gaming 'work'.
I'll be working on the second Panzer Battles title for John Tiller as well as finishing up the patch for the first release (Kursk). All I can say is the new title will have French, British, Belgians and Dutch in action.
In between, I'll be delving into Elite : Dangerous and its new 1.1 patch (docking seems hard again!) and for those post 11pm sessions when I'm starting to nod off, Red Orchestra 2, the Red Bull of first person shooters.
Strela
Just created a new faction in Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes last night. Going to run them through their paces this weekend. And whatever else comes up.
Quote from: Toonces on February 13, 2015, 03:22:02 AM
Having nothing to do with Australia, though, I will be going full on medieval this weekend with:
Continuing to delve into Vengeance, and perhaps playing with the editor a bit...
I've been hankering to spend more time on my campaign in Mount and Blade...
And rounding everything out with CK2 and (somewhat medieval) Morrowind.
I also can't rule out playing with some modern warfare type titles, but I'm not ready to commit just yet. I just saw Fury, though, so I'm kinda in a mood to play with tanks for some reason. :P
Brilliant, Toonces! How I love that song.
When im not working there will be Wargame Red Dragon, and some Elite checking out the new, new patch
Playing Disney Infinity had given me an urge for some sandbox city building action - so there might be some Sim City 4 in there too
...and meanwhile near the end of the day in Little Straya .... continuing to practice with some graphics tools... 8)
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 13, 2015, 07:55:25 AM
...- so there might be some Sim City 4 in there too
You still playing this often? I'd given up but may check it out again.
Some VASSAL work this weekend.
More Victory at Sea. This is a fun game so far.
Finally return the PBEM turn for Cyrano the patient.... :-[
Finish off a CiV campaign as Egypt in the new Accurate Earth mod.... might just be able to unify all of Africa under the Egyptian banner. :knuppel2:
Going to play...
- Lords of the black sun....still have to finish my military campaign. I'll move on to another 4x after that.
- Worldshift
- Grand Ages: Rome
This should keep me busy :)
Quote from: Barthheart on February 13, 2015, 08:03:36 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 13, 2015, 07:55:25 AM
...- so there might be some Sim City 4 in there too
You still playing this often? I'd given up but may check it out again.
urge only struck me this morning - ill give it a whirl tonight and see how i get on
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 13, 2015, 04:44:30 AM
I will do some though and likely from this list
ARMA III
Running on my backup system (an old thing called Wheezy 2), so I'm going to be playing what happened to be on it when it was sent to
backup status:
Iron Front, Steam and Iron and Ironing out all Wars
I am approaching the end of battle 7 of CMBN's Kampgruppe Engel campaign, "The Last Kilometer". I've managed to make it all the way to the back of the map in this exit-only battle with about 20 turns left and very light losses but the Polish 1st Armored can't be this easy to roll-over and so expect to have to fight our way to the exit zone. Then one more fight to go. But Valentines :-* with the wife comes first.
Flying to LA tomorrow so not much gaming (except for the long flight there and back). Not sure what I'll play yet on my travel Macbook Air 2011 with Windows 7. :D
Love Men at Work and Colin Hay :) And of course AC/DC. Great choices!
My intrigue with the Eastern Front is coming to an end for now as the release of Attila: Total War approaches on Tuesday. To get in the Roman mood I will fire up Ryse: Son of Rome over the next few days.
Will probably be trying to figure out Wargame Red Dragon, picked up at the current sale, due to UCG's screenshots!
I will be checking out the new DLC for Wargame Red Dragon and continue my play through of The Witcher.
Hegemony Gold and Blackguards 2.
Hegemony Gold is making me want to finish my mod of the 2-D maps in Paul Bruffell's Ancient Warfare series, and Blackguards 2 is not a dumbed-down version of Blackguards, just streamlined and slightly different.
I haven't had any time for games other than WitW this week...no idea what I'll be doing game-wise. I do know I'm running the sound board for the local melodrama group this weekend, tonight and tomorrow night. My daughter had her 14th b-day last weekend but this weekend she's having friends over for the night tonight, after a school dance.
My computer added some updates that made some fonts kind of funky a few days ago, and I haven't played anything in that time so I don't know if this "update" f-d up my PC or not.
In brighter news my company's giving a bonus to us (thank goodness) and I might finally be able to get a new gaming rig. The one I have is going on 8 years old, lol.
Quote from: Tuna on February 13, 2015, 11:30:19 AM
Will probably be trying to figure out Wargame Red Dragon, picked up at the current sale, due to UCG's screenshots!
It's UI is easy to learn and use which can be a refreshing change from some of the other wargames.
I plan on doing some Red Dragon soon too.
Continuation of my Oriental campaign in the Khartoum & Zulu mod for Napoleon: Total War.
I'm expecting the arrival today of a new 512 GB SSD, so in order to break it's cherry I'm going to buy and install The Blue and the Gray ACW mod for Empire:Total War.
While most of the country is in the middle of winter, here in the Pacific NW it feels like spring. If the weather man is truthful we should have some sun and highs in the high 50s to low 60s. Hoping to get out and do some hiking and/or shooting.
I finally picked up Elite: Dangerous last weekend. Haven't been able to put too much time into it yet but I was able to spend a few hours setting up my X-55 and Track IR. With everything set up its time to really dive in. Command will be my other time sync, broken up by some Prepar3D and Heroes of the Storm.
Finished Jurassic Park: The Game this week (yep, it's a real JP story, with a deeper story and more rounded/dynamic characters than any of the movies or books); which inspired me to watch JP1 again (first time on Blu... lots of grainy noise kept from the print, which looks incredibly low-fi in dark scenes depending on the lighting, but otherwise a respectable transfer); which inspired me to watch A Bridge Too Far again (as it's the only Richard Attenborough-directed film I own; amusing to see the visual cues and stylisms which became Spielbergian style!)
Still doing Far Cry 3, likely will be for a long while to come as I'm clearly only about 1/3 of the way through the map(s).
Lack only one more thing (setting the initial reinforcement/upgrade schedule) before starting the gameclock on my Russian Darkest Hour:AARmod campaign.
Having finished several games recently, I may splurge a bit against my resolution and buy Darkest Dungeon or Deadnauts (or both). But hopefully I shall resist. :)
Might get back to my Ghostbusters game playthrough, which I've been generally impressed with.
Oh, and I'm learning to play Le Havre for my iPhone4.
A very crowded game on that phone, but a cleverly competent AI which plans ahead -- often leading to a Five Xanatos Pileup.
Long weekend thanks to Family Day on Monday! ;D
Probably get back to Far Cry 4, and likely keeping messing around with Darkest Dungeon and Sunless Sea.
Quote from: Strela on February 13, 2015, 06:15:08 AM
It being Friday here in Singapore and me being an Australian qualifies me to comment in this thread...
The weekend has just started with a red wine and a full agenda of gaming 'work'.
I'll be working on the second Panzer Battles title for John Tiller as well as finishing up the patch for the first release (Kursk). All I can say is the new title will have French, British, Belgians and Dutch in action.
In between, I'll be delving into Elite : Dangerous and its new 1.1 patch (docking seems hard again!) and for those post 11pm sessions when I'm starting to nod off, Red Orchestra 2, the Red Bull of first person shooters.
Strela
I just love the France '40 PzC game. It's good to learn that one is being done for Panzer Battles. Is the new artwork similar to the Kursk game?
So far:
Sunless Sea
Warhammer 40,000 Armageddon
Quote from: Boggit on February 13, 2015, 08:53:05 PM
I just love the France '40 PzC game. It's good to learn that one is being done for Panzer Battles. Is the new artwork similar to the Kursk game?
We have actually revamped the artwork for the first patch for Kursk. We have 'improved' the terrain graphics as well as the top down units (more 3D with depth and shading). These changes are optional and players can maintain the existing artwork if they like.
As far as the new title, it has all the above improvements and 'colourized' photos used for various units as per Kursk. All in all I'm happy with the look we have - it's a continued departure from the 'old style' John Tiller game.
Finally, this is a Western Front game but we aren't confirming the time period yet....
David
So I booted up Wargame Red Dragon which I picked up for 10 clams last week. All I can say is that somewhere between "Very Slow" and "Bullet Time" is my speed for these types of games.
Man alive but did I get my ass completely handed to me.
I started the game, put a bunch of infantry in towns with armor and IFV's behind the towns. The computer AI starts by flattening both towns with artillery...and I suppose you can kind of figure out how it went from there. :-[
So far this weekend has been completely unexpected: Wargame:RD, Sanctuary RPG, and Malevolent RPG. No medieval gaming yet!
Quote from: Toonces on February 14, 2015, 02:40:38 PM
So I booted up Wargame Red Dragon which I picked up for 10 clams last week. All I can say is that somewhere between "Very Slow" and "Bullet Time" is my speed for these types of games.
Man alive but did I get my ass completely handed to me.
I started the game, put a bunch of infantry in towns with armor and IFV's behind the towns. The computer AI starts by flattening both towns with artillery...and I suppose you can kind of figure out how it went from there. :-[
oof, skirmish or campaign?
Another classic:
This weekend I'll be playing Snow Blower Wars 4 a game in which one tests their ability to pile snow on top of snow on top of snow...
So far 3 missions in Worldshift and many hours in Lords of the black sun...the enemy has proven to be a bigger challenge than what i expected. ???
Quote from: southern_cross_116 on February 13, 2015, 08:02:50 AM
...and meanwhile near the end of the day in Little Straya .... continuing to practice with some graphics tools... 8)
Heh. I do like me some AC/DC but I don't believe I've ever heard that song....rockin'! O0
Last night I spent some time with
X-COM and
Desktop Dungeons. I will probably spend some time with
Elite: Dangerous and
Wargame: Red Dragon.
I've been playing wargame red dragon. It's such a kickass game, I don't think it gets the attention it deserves. The wargame engine is really an accomplishment and the OOB is crafted with love. The series is really a wargamer's dream.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2015, 07:20:01 PM
I've been playing wargame red dragon. It's such a kickass game, I don't think it gets the attention it deserves. The wargame engine is really an accomplishment and the OOB is crafted with love. The series is really a wargamer's dream.
Out of curiosity, do you ever play any tabletop war games, either on a table or through platforms such as Vassal?
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2015, 07:20:01 PM
I've been playing wargame red dragon. It's such a kickass game, I don't think it gets the attention it deserves. The wargame engine is really an accomplishment and the OOB is crafted with love. The series is really a wargamer's dream.
hear, hear
im regretting ignoring this game - its a gem that like you say doesnt get the recognition it deserves, which oddly is something the readers and contributors to RPS also tell the site admin - it went largely ignored by those guys - so im wondering if theres something about its heritage that people dont get
I bought Wargame awile ago trying to scratch a modern tactical itch. I didnt get into it, but that itch was scratched with CMBS. I should give it another go now that you can slow time a bit
Quote from: Ubercat on February 14, 2015, 07:29:03 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2015, 07:20:01 PM
I've been playing wargame red dragon. It's such a kickass game, I don't think it gets the attention it deserves. The wargame engine is really an accomplishment and the OOB is crafted with love. The series is really a wargamer's dream.
Out of curiosity, do you ever play any tabletop war games, either on a table or through platforms such as Vassal?
No, but I would like to.
Agreed on the Wargame series...really a great set of wargames that I totally suck at. The ability to slow down time in Red Dragon is awesome, though...totally makes the game.
At any rate, it appears that I am in a modern warfare mood. I just spend about 3 hours playing ARMA 3 multiplayer on a king of the hill server. I totally suck at this, too, but it is fun. Kind of RO2-like, but with modern kit. Doing the tactical airdrop thing out of a helo was freaking cool!
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2015, 08:40:45 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on February 14, 2015, 07:29:03 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2015, 07:20:01 PM
I've been playing wargame red dragon. It's such a kickass game, I don't think it gets the attention it deserves. The wargame engine is really an accomplishment and the OOB is crafted with love. The series is really a wargamer's dream.
Out of curiosity, do you ever play any tabletop war games, either on a table or through platforms such as Vassal?
No, but I would like to.
That's what I thought as I've noticed that you only seem to post about PC games. Computer games definitely tend to have a lot more detail under the hood than any board game can manage, but I still prefer the latter for the sheer excitement of playing a human. No AI can match that.
Of course there are multi-player PC war games, but I can never seem to settle for long on any of them. There always seems to be 1-2 things that are just off to me, or the game is so massive that I'm totally lost, or I read about an unresolved bug and decide to hold off until it's fixed. Then 1 bug replaces the next, etc. Not all board war games are perfect by any stretch, but there are so many more of them that I've found plenty that I have no problems with.
If you want to try a board game on Vassal, I think I have the perfect candidate. Red Winter (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38786/red-winter-soviet-attack-tolvajarvi-finland-8-12-d) is a beautiful game and realistic simulation of a particular 5 day battle in the Finno-Soviet Winter War. It's company level with a small unit count, manageable rule set, and a great many tactics for both sides to try out. The Vassal module is also very well done, including all the charts needed. The rulebook is the best I've ever seen.
I own the game already, and if you try it you may soon own it yourself! I don't think that we'd be cheating GMT as one game owner would be all that's required to play F2F. Any how, let me know if you want to try it out. It would be pretty easy for me to teach after a rules refresher. I'm guessing that your best availability is in the evening. I can play after 7:30PM most nights. If you happen to have weekday mornings off, that's even better. I know it's a real long shot, though.
Finally getting around to Phantom Fury (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/91010/phantom-fury) (boardgame using a Zuntzu (http://www.zuntzu.com) gamebox that I put together). This shit is getting nasty!!
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.garykrockover.com%2Fuploads%2FPhantom_Fury_SS.png&hash=bcc6e2d42e8d848de5e1ceb32db0d47a5bd24be9)
Thanks, Ubercat. I'll give vassal a shot. I can try to be available after 8:00 EST on weekdays, but weekends are definitely better.
Just let me know what I need to do. Thanks!
Quote from: Strela on February 14, 2015, 11:56:35 AM
Quote from: Boggit on February 13, 2015, 08:53:05 PM
I just love the France '40 PzC game. It's good to learn that one is being done for Panzer Battles. Is the new artwork similar to the Kursk game?
We have actually revamped the artwork for the first patch for Kursk. We have 'improved' the terrain graphics as well as the top down units (more 3D with depth and shading). These changes are optional and players can maintain the existing artwork if they like.
As far as the new title, it has all the above improvements and 'colourized' photos used for various units as per Kursk. All in all I'm happy with the look we have - it's a continued departure from the 'old style' John Tiller game.
Finally, this is a Western Front game but we aren't confirming the time period yet....
David
Boggit,
Find below a couple of examples from the new Panzer Battles 2 game as well as for the upcoming patch for Kursk.
Here is a screen shot of some of the unit cards from the new game. You can see they are comparable to Kursk;
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theblitz.org%2Fuploads%2Ffiles%2F982%2FPB%2520Graphics%2520136.png&hash=e5925ef9bd81faae429b56f2e031ed8bc21ac41e)
Here is the new German top down graphics for Kursk - the old is on the left, the new is on the right. We have attempted to get more shadowing and a 3D effect. The colours are also aligned with unit card sidebar graphic also;
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theblitz.org%2Fuploads%2Ffiles%2F043%2F2014_12_09%2520German%2520Troops.png&hash=a22bbb5766097313162c4851e567b1f6a1acad85)
And the same for the Soviets (old on the left, new on the right);
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theblitz.org%2Fuploads%2Ffiles%2F043%2F2014_12_09%2520Soviet%2520Troops.png&hash=a75afd4884321e7414de9e4dd1bd53588425296c)
Here is an example from Kursk of the new terrain - a version of this will be in the new title and tailored for the Western Front;
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theblitz.org%2Fuploads%2Ffiles%2F6d4%2FPB%2520Graphics%2520135.png&hash=7663ade2fbd8c66152383acd8b1fd56b78fecc2b)
And for comparison the original terrain in the released game. The new terrain will be an optional extra in the first patch for Kursk;
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theblitz.org%2Fuploads%2Ffiles%2Fbf3%2FPB%2520Graphics%2520134.png&hash=dff1d4e3c3beb51fd1c799919017dc586fb54372)
The new terrain without the hex grid;
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theblitz.org%2Fuploads%2Ffiles%2F7af%2FPB%2520Graphics%2520137.png&hash=064dcf74d06b0502766e97730dc0f3548fa48d02)
I welcome any comments...
David
Quote
I welcome any comments...
David
@Strela
"Fantastic!" springs to mind. O0
I love the icons - very "Squad Leader" in spirit. I love the new terrain tile set too. I'll be d/ling that when it comes out.
I really hope JTs will retro this style to its older games. Bloody brilliant! O0
Flare to Gus - check this out for your Eastern Front fix! O0
Quote from: Boggit on February 15, 2015, 02:59:53 AM
Quote
I welcome any comments...
David
@Strela
"Fantastic!" springs to mind. O0
I love the icons - very "Squad Leader" in spirit. I love the new terrain tile set too. I'll be d/ling that when it comes out.
I really hope JTs will retro this style to its older games. Bloody brilliant! O0
Flare to Gus - check this out for your Eastern Front fix! O0
Thanks Boggit,
For anyone that hasn't seen Panzer Battles Kursk before please note there are actually three different selectable icons in game. Top down, side on (same as the unit card) and classic Nato.
Here are some examples;
Top down, old on the left, new on the right (note all top down icons do not rotate - they always point north-east - this is a platoon/company level game and facing is not a consideration in the time scale);
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theblitz.org%2Fuploads%2Ffiles%2F7ba%2FPB%2520Graphics%2520120.png&hash=2ee5c6437d91499f9396c80c0f76e7b0bd34ae23)
The same units with Side on (based off the unit card) on the left & Nato symbology on the right. These can all be changed on the fly in game;
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theblitz.org%2Fuploads%2Ffiles%2F73f%2FPB%2520Graphics%2520123.png&hash=e2c642e02166815733a748356d681309eee54fd7)
Also if you have not seen the original game you can see a lot more screen shots and download a large amount of the games reference material for free from here;
http://www.johntillersoftware.com/PanzerBattles/BattlesOfKurskSouthern.html
You can even buy the game if you want!!!! :P
An example of the free reference material is the 57 page 'Visual Order of Battle Guide' created by Mike Avanzini. Here is an example of Peiper's battalion at Kursk;
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theblitz.org%2Fuploads%2Ffiles%2F69d%2FBoks_8.png&hash=d9da9b8bf245ba1cbe96aeb2ef87495da123d637)
Here are the 110th Tank Brigade part of 18th Tank Corp;
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theblitz.org%2Fuploads%2Ffiles%2F16c2334dcaTank%2520Brigade.jpg&hash=ce150fc4fa168cfbc72475e2e3fc9a8f7100db0a)
Another example covering the attached units in 18th Tank Corp. All graphics are from within the game.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theblitz.org%2Fuploads%2Ffiles%2Fdd36923a1418th%2520Tank%2520Corps.jpg&hash=76edf088c86801f7c2266b9479ce92d5c9b4f4cc)
We are planning to have similar material available with the second Panzer Battles game as well as for free so that people can see what they are getting before they buy.
David
That looks excellent. I could go for that!
Does this mean that the units are going to be larger than 3mm in the top-down view on my screen now? As in I can actually tell what something is without having to mouse over it??? I might actually play a Tiller game if that's the case!
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2015, 12:38:03 AM
Thanks, Ubercat. I'll give vassal a shot. I can try to be available after 8:00 EST on weekdays, but weekends are definitely better.
Just let me know what I need to do. Thanks!
PM sent.
@Strela
GJK makes a good point. For almost all my JTS/HPS Tiller games I have to increase the text size to 150% if I want to read the map without getting eyestrain.
You asked for comments, and on reflection a further zoom level would be really neat especially when you're focusing on a small section of the battle.
I've been playing Southern Flank this afternoon, and if you Strela are David Freer, I'll say you did a damn fine job with it. Great game, and it looks like you're making it even better. Just out of curiosity is there any way to link all the campaign elements together similar to the way Ed Williams did in France '14 and East Prussia '14, so that the success in one sector can be reflected elsewhere - or am I being too hopeful?? ;)
Looks like a lot of love was put into this work.
Quote from: Toonces on February 14, 2015, 10:14:10 PM
I just spend about 3 hours playing ARMA 3 multiplayer on a king of the hill server. I totally suck at this, too, but it is fun. Kind of RO2-like, but with modern kit. Doing the tactical airdrop thing out of a helo was freaking cool!
King of the Hill is a blast. Do you find that the game is a bit glitchy though? I get put off when it takes a second or two to bring up optics, or when I see people warp about the landscape.
O/T : that ACDC track is from their new album
It's a little laggy on my end, but my internet connection isn't that great. I'm in Hawaii, so it has to travel awful far to get to the server and back.
I almost got some MP in with Jarhead, but I couldn't get a stable connection. Maybe later...
Also, that Panzer game looks very nice indeed.
Quote from: Boggit on February 15, 2015, 01:34:53 PM
@Strela
GJK makes a good point. For almost all my JTS/HPS Tiller games I have to increase the text size to 150% if I want to read the map without getting eyestrain.
You asked for comments, and on reflection a further zoom level would be really neat especially when you're focusing on a small section of the battle.
I've been playing Southern Flank this afternoon, and if you Strela are David Freer, I'll say you did a damn fine job with it. Great game, and it looks like you're making it even better. Just out of curiosity is there any way to link all the campaign elements together similar to the way Ed Williams did in France '14 and East Prussia '14, so that the success in one sector can be reflected elsewhere - or am I being too hopeful?? ;)
Hi,
Strela = David - guilty as charged. I had a years break from work and Panzer Battles - Kursk was the (only) result of my time off. Gainfully employed again now.
There is a campaign engine that will be included in Panzer Battles 2. This is similar to what has been included in Tiller's Civil War and Napoleonic games. We have asked for a number of changes to give us more flexibility beyond just linking scenarios.
As far as an additional zoom level, I can ask. We have gone to the larger natural hex size (aligned with Squad battles) and I have used the largest possible counter size (60 x 60 pixels with some image overlap). John created the Panzer Campaigns zoom by doubling the existing graphics (ie no additional graphics were required). I can see whether that technology is possible. I do agree with you all - it feels like it needs one more zoom level, though I do play on a hi res display (2400 x 1920). The middle zoom level in Panzer Battles is the same as the normal Panzer Campaigns.
Most of the images of counters that I have posted in this thread are at 200% so this is what you would see if we added a new zoom level.
Strela
Fwiw, PzB comes with 3 native states of 2d graphics, whereas the other series only have 2. What Mr Freer mentioned is correct, in that when the extra 2d xoom level is applied to titles other than PzB - that it is simply magnifying the 2d Zoom in by another 50%.
It does sort of make me wonder if the extra native set of graphics is something that can be applied to other series, so I guess I will have to ask (posting this here is not me asking them -just to be clear ;).
I really doubt that it is a matter of 'technology being available' -as what it is really is about applying the extra coding to another set of graphics which would have to be created, then finding someone willing to put together the applicable new set of bmp files that align with the style of the remainder of a title.
Now considering that there is only one title available that uses the 3 levels of native graphics- I guess that means it could be time to practice on PzB -to see how a holistic set of graphics can turn out. Considering that I have a couple with 2 levels under my belt it would be pretty interesting to see that third level. My guess is that it would involve first starting with the biggest level and then take it from there. It would take a little time, and if I were to do this it would only be limited to the map.
Ok -and on another note - Rock or Bust? The first single off of the album Akka Dakka released this past November I think (might have been early December)... keep on the Oz theme and I will see if I can dig up some other Aussie-centric tunes in the future.
One other change which would be nice is to have the random end that you have as an option in Squad Battles - maybe 2/3 turns max. I've played the Gertsovka scenario several times now, and no matter how aggressive I am as a German still get a minor defeat due to running out of time. (I'm also running out of men too, but that's another story...) :-[ ;)
Quote from: Boggit on February 17, 2015, 07:39:24 PM
One other change which would be nice is to have the random end that you have as an option in Squad Battles - maybe 2/3 turns max. I've played the Gertsovka scenario several times now, and no matter how aggressive I am as a German still get a minor defeat due to running out of time. (I'm also running out of men too, but that's another story...) :-[ ;)
Boggit,
You're not alone re. Gertsovka. The first patch for Kursk is to be released imminently.
Here is the changelog for Gertsovka;
#0704_01 Gertsovka • Additional AI hold orders included
• All Soviet units begin in fixed status.
• +2 turns to 12 turns long
• VP's dropped by 10 for each victory level
• New supply source in NE corner
• Supply source in (5,4) removed
I also checked on the zoom function. It's planned (ie future development) to port the continuous zoom function in - similar to that used in the mobile platform's currently.
Strela
Quote from: Strela on February 17, 2015, 08:29:24 PM
Quote from: Boggit on February 17, 2015, 07:39:24 PM
One other change which would be nice is to have the random end that you have as an option in Squad Battles - maybe 2/3 turns max. I've played the Gertsovka scenario several times now, and no matter how aggressive I am as a German still get a minor defeat due to running out of time. (I'm also running out of men too, but that's another story...) :-[ ;)
Boggit,
You're not alone re. Gertsovka. The first patch for Kursk is to be released imminently.
Here is the changelog for Gertsovka;
#0704_01 Gertsovka
• Additional AI hold orders included
• All Soviet units begin in fixed status.
• +2 turns to 12 turns long
• VP's dropped by 10 for each victory level
• New supply source in NE corner
• Supply source in (5,4) removed
I also checked on the zoom function. It's planned (ie future development) to port the continuous zoom function in - similar to that used in the mobile platform's currently.
Strela
That'll balance it much better, although it will still be tight at 12 turns, but at least you'll get a fighting chance to get a draw or better. O0 I don't expect my awful losses to drop that much though - nature of the beast. ;)