Having discovered that dxtory kills skylines I'm looking for another screenshot provider that saves the shot as jpg
I have one but it saves in png and then I have to convert to JPEG
What do you guys use?
Hypersnap.
Also Fraps. Fraps is free; Hypersnap is not, though it has a free trial.
Why do you have to convert from png to jpg? (Just curious)
Quote from: GJK on March 22, 2015, 08:36:38 AM
Why do you have to convert from png to jpg? (Just curious)
It how brant likes the shots for the ckII aar and they're much smaller in size
I take most of my screenshots with win-printscrn, which is totally free and already part of Windows; and occasionally with the F12 key in a Steam game when the other doesn't work. Everything which doesn't use those so far (which admittedly isn't much) had its own internal screenshotter.
They save as a png, but when I drop it into Imageshack it converts to jpg automatically. Don't know if I can save it back out of Ishack yet, though -- when I archive my AARs in a doc file, I just use the png's.
How terrible it looks depends on whether I'm downconverting to 800x600 (which I always do) and how far I zoom-selected when modding the photo before sending it to Ishack.
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 22, 2015, 08:42:51 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 22, 2015, 08:30:47 AM
Hypersnap.
you go girl!
Lol'd hard at that!
But you're the sassy one.
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 22, 2015, 08:09:13 AM
Having discovered that dxtory kills skylines I'm looking for another screenshot provider that saves the shot as jpg
I have one but it saves in png and then I have to convert to JPEG
What do you guys use?
PNG is actually quite common. IIRC, you can even upload images here as PNG. Not sure about photobucket. I'll try it and see...
Photobucket:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FShootthetank_zpsyufkqu61.png&hash=985ba78a6196d8264aa818afdd93c9196134dca9)
Direct upload:
I can take jpg or png, no prob. I can convert just about anything, but I prefer NOT to deal with .bmp files just b/c they're so damned big they jack up the email inbox.
There's a snipping tool built into most windows version, isn't there?
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 22, 2015, 08:09:13 AM
Having discovered that dxtory kills skylines I'm looking for another screenshot provider that saves the shot as jpg
I have one but it saves in png and then I have to convert to JPEG
What do you guys use?
Skylines is in Steam right? Then press F12.
Hmmmm - I'll have a look, it's the only one that dxtory, which I like, has caused a problem with
What was that old utility that would let you rattle off a series of screenshots without having to do the "paste+save" routine for each one? I have it uploaded to my back up somewhere. You tell it what folder and it saves a sequentially numbered shot every time that you pressed the specified key-combo. You may of mentioned it upstream already; it's been that long ago.
I've used Greenshot for awhile now with good results. http://greenshot.org
Works in Matrix games that hate Fraps.
I used to use Snagit (http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html), a paid for piece of software - but I found it become bloated and almost unusable - suffocating in its own featureset.
So I dropped back to Fraps for a little while.
But nowadays, I just use the Dropbox client. It captures most screens and uploads them automagically. However, I haven't spent a great deal of time milking screenshots of wargames, like I used to.
I use BandiCam. I used to use Fraps, but ran into issues when trying to use it to take screenshots in Matrix games.
Has a free version that lets you take screenshots without a watermark, however videos are watermarked and limited to 30 seconds.
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 22, 2015, 08:42:51 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 22, 2015, 08:30:47 AM
Hypersnap.
you go girl!
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstream1.gifsoup.com%2Fview1%2F1618355%2Ftwo-snaps-up-o.gif&hash=53a46562cd7aa33b3c9151f2a2891f3332bb40b3)
Quote from: panzerde on March 22, 2015, 12:48:53 PM
I've used Greenshot for awhile now with good results. http://greenshot.org
Works in Matrix games that hate Fraps.
I use Greenshot at work. Great app. Never used it for in game screenies though.
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 22, 2015, 08:30:47 AM
Hypersnap.
Also Fraps. Fraps is free; Hypersnap is not, though it has a free trial.
+ 1 on Hypersnap. Paid software, but bloody good and doesn't crash.
I have noticed some games sometimes just show a black screen or my desktop when I take an image (ARMA III for example). I don't know why that is - but in general it's a great piece of software. I've been using it for years now.
Quote from: GJK on March 22, 2015, 11:39:12 AM
What was that old utility that would let you rattle off a series of screenshots without having to do the "paste+save" routine for each one? I have it uploaded to my back up somewhere. You tell it what folder and it saves a sequentially numbered shot every time that you pressed the specified key-combo. You may of mentioned it upstream already; it's been that long ago.
I mentioned it yesterday: Winkey-printscreen. I use it for easily 95% of my screenshots. F12 in Steam, and a dedicated screenshotter in one program's own architecture (essentially rebinding the Win-prntscrn function), has sufficed for the remainder so far.
It's dicey for trying to get a perfect action shot, and terrible for repeated snaps in a row of fast action to choose from later (takes about a second per shot). If I had to do that I'd probably try my NVIDIA card's Shadowplay function and then use my Sony video editor to take snaps from the footage.
Quote from: mirth on March 23, 2015, 07:36:44 AM
Quote from: panzerde on March 22, 2015, 12:48:53 PM
I've used Greenshot for awhile now with good results. http://greenshot.org
Works in Matrix games that hate Fraps.
I use Greenshot at work. Great app. Never used it for in game screenies though.
I've had it return the dreaded Black Screenshot on a few games in the past. Stopped using it after that.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 23, 2015, 05:15:54 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 22, 2015, 08:30:47 AM
Hypersnap.
Also Fraps. Fraps is free; Hypersnap is not, though it has a free trial.
+ 1 on Hypersnap. Paid software, but bloody good and doesn't crash.
I have noticed some games sometimes just show a black screen or my desktop when I take an image (ARMA III for example). I don't know why that is - but in general it's a great piece of software. I've been using it for years now.
Try this:
– Right-click on the executable file for the game
– Select the Compatibility tab and then check Disable desktop composition
– Press OK to close the properties dialog and then run the game
Thanks Anguille
But a heads up for anyone doing this - it turns off Aero.
I didn't know, booted up my machine this morning and wondered why I was back in 1995. Rooted around the internet. Restarted the service (which fixed it until reboot). Ran sfc /scannow. Ran Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials...nothing fixed it.
Went rooting through the Event Viewer and found this
A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (HyperSnap 7)
:2funny:
Returned the app to it's original state and hey presto.
I had actually forgotten there's a cryptic link between Windows Aero, Windows Transparency and Desktop Composition!
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 25, 2015, 01:38:54 PM
Thanks Anguille
But a heads up for anyone doing this - it turns off Aero.
I didn't know, booted up my machine this morning and wondered why I was back in 1995. Rooted around the internet. Restarted the service (which fixed it until reboot). Ran sfc /scannow. Ran Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials...nothing fixed it.
Went rooting through the Event Viewer and found this
A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (HyperSnap 7)
:2funny:
Returned the app to it's original state and hey presto.
I had actually forgotten there's a cryptic link between Windows Aero, Windows Transparency and Desktop Composition!
Really? Sorry, i didn't know this.
lol - that's alright man. The thanks was a genuine thanks - not a piss take thanks. It's always good for people to help out.
Also I loll'ed at the end...I just could not figure out what the hell had happened. The Desktop Window Desktop Session Manager was saying Started in the services - but Aero only came back when I restarted it...so I realised that it was being overrode by something in the boot up sequence. So I rummaged around in the Event Viewer...should've went there sooner, but as the service said it had started, I didn't think there would be an error.
AND a positive came out of it - I realised I didn't have System Restore switched on my main drive! :o
It's all good in the hood O0