Main Menu

Screenshot software

Started by undercovergeek, March 22, 2015, 08:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

undercovergeek

Having discovered that dxtory kills skylines I'm looking for another screenshot provider that saves the shot as jpg

I have one but it saves in png and then I have to convert to JPEG

What do you guys use?

BanzaiCat

Hypersnap.

Also Fraps. Fraps is free; Hypersnap is not, though it has a free trial.

GJK

Why do you have to convert from png to jpg?  (Just curious)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


undercovergeek

Quote from: GJK on March 22, 2015, 08:36:38 AM
Why do you have to convert from png to jpg?  (Just curious)

It how brant likes the shots for the ckII aar and they're much smaller in size

JasonPratt

I take most of my screenshots with win-printscrn, which is totally free and already part of Windows; and occasionally with the F12 key in a Steam game when the other doesn't work. Everything which doesn't use those so far (which admittedly isn't much) had its own internal screenshotter.

They save as a png, but when I drop it into Imageshack it converts to jpg automatically. Don't know if I can save it back out of Ishack yet, though -- when I archive my AARs in a doc file, I just use the png's.

How terrible it looks depends on whether I'm downconverting to 800x600 (which I always do) and how far I zoom-selected when modding the photo before sending it to Ishack.

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 22, 2015, 08:42:51 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 22, 2015, 08:30:47 AM
Hypersnap.

you go girl!

Lol'd hard at that!

But you're the sassy one.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 22, 2015, 08:09:13 AM
Having discovered that dxtory kills skylines I'm looking for another screenshot provider that saves the shot as jpg

I have one but it saves in png and then I have to convert to JPEG

What do you guys use?

PNG is actually quite common. IIRC, you can even upload images here as PNG. Not sure about photobucket. I'll try it and see...

Photobucket:



Direct upload:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

I can take jpg or png, no prob.  I can convert just about anything, but I prefer NOT to deal with .bmp files just b/c they're so damned big they jack up the email inbox.

There's a snipping tool built into most windows version, isn't there?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

jomni

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 22, 2015, 08:09:13 AM
Having discovered that dxtory kills skylines I'm looking for another screenshot provider that saves the shot as jpg

I have one but it saves in png and then I have to convert to JPEG

What do you guys use?

Skylines is in Steam right?  Then press F12.

undercovergeek

Hmmmm - I'll have a look, it's the only one that dxtory, which I like, has caused a problem with

GJK

What was that old utility that would let you rattle off a series of screenshots without having to do the "paste+save" routine for each one?  I have it uploaded to my back up somewhere.  You tell it what folder and it saves a sequentially numbered shot every time that you pressed the specified key-combo.  You may of mentioned it upstream already; it's been that long ago.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

panzerde

I've used Greenshot for awhile now with good results. http://greenshot.org

Works in Matrix games that hate Fraps.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

spelk

I used to use Snagit, a paid for piece of software - but I found it become bloated and almost unusable - suffocating in its own featureset.

So I dropped back to Fraps for a little while.

But nowadays, I just use the Dropbox client. It captures most screens and uploads them automagically. However, I haven't spent a great deal of time milking screenshots of wargames, like I used to.

Kushan

I use BandiCam. I used to use Fraps, but ran into issues when trying to use it to take screenshots in Matrix games.

Has a free version that lets you take screenshots without a watermark, however videos are watermarked and limited to 30 seconds.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play