GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2015, 12:46:15 AM

Title: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2015, 12:46:15 AM


It's not a music video - but it is a superb song and played at a very good moment in the totally amazing SCRUBS.

If anyone hasn't watched SCRUBS then you absolutely should do. It's a fantastic comedy with some points to make and some very, very poignant moments...this being one of them.

I'm not talking about an episode here or there...it needs to be watched from start to finish to bond with the characters.


Anyway - sorry - to gaming.

This weekend I will definitely be doing a practice run in Steel Beasts and having a look into Assetto Corsa. I want to start my F1 2014 career - but I may not get there. It's raining Sunday, so maybe I could do it then.

Almost absolutely, definitely there will be more of the superb GTA V and Far Cry 4

Enjoy  O0
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: spelk on April 24, 2015, 03:15:31 AM
Brother Against Brother has its rain rusted bayonet deep in me at the moment, I can't shake the thrill of turn based tactical musket fire.


Steady..
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Toonces on April 24, 2015, 03:23:58 AM
I also shall be gaming the American Civil War.  Having just finished Catton's Mr. Lincoln's Army Volume 1 that climaxes with the Battle of Antietam, I will therefore be playing Scourge of War: Antietam in their honor and trying to do better than the pathetic disaster that was McClellan.  God I hate that man.

And, for what it's worth, Depeche Mode was among the best 80's bands and I shall listen to them while drinking rum.



By the way, if you don't like Depeche Mode then you suck and are also a communist.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: undercovergeek on April 24, 2015, 03:32:25 AM
Blowing up con and jomni some more and writing about it in the aars

And this week I shall be jumping balls deep into CMANO, it's a game that deserves my love

So many changes have happened to elite and I feel so far behind I may have to have a dabble, however the trade side of things seems untouched, not a complaint, so I'll be trading a few tonnes of lavian brandy and such in the pursuit of my asp - there is a massive update inbound, seriously game changing stuff so I'll read up on that too

I'm sure we've all had it - that feeling of looking into the monitor an thinking 'I must buy a new game, me wants new game' but there was nothing shouting at me, and the feeling passed, besides which I'm saving myself for warhammer - I've bought a chastity ring and Ill remain pure - when it's released however I'm going to shag it like a crazy person
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Toonces on April 24, 2015, 03:38:23 AM
Dude, jump into Scourge of War with me!  No need to buy a new game- rediscover an old game!   O:-)
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2015, 04:20:55 AM
Quote from: Toonces on April 24, 2015, 03:23:58 AM
I also shall be gaming the American Civil War.  Having just finished Catton's Mr. Lincoln's Army Volume 1 that climaxes with the Battle of Antietam, I will therefore be playing Scourge of War: Antietam in their honor and trying to do better than the pathetic disaster that was McClellan.  God I hate that man.

And, for what it's worth, Depeche Mode was among the best 80's bands and I shall listen to them while drinking rum.

By the way, if you don't like Depeche Mode then you suck and are also a communist.
I LOVED Depeche Mode in the 80's

My daughter just bought her boyfriend a very rare Depeche Mode album...can't remember the name but it cost a small fortune. He's a lucky man - in many respects  :)
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Toonces on April 24, 2015, 04:41:16 AM
The thing is, I didn't really think I liked DM that much.  But the more I search out videos, especially on Friday nights, DM surfaces. 

But damn, man, I do love them I guess.  Fark I miss the 80's in general!   >:(
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2015, 04:45:09 AM
It was imo the best decade for music - even the bad had some good vibe.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Martok on April 24, 2015, 05:07:37 AM
I love Scrubs -- easily one of my favorite TV shows of all time.  I watched it religiously from the third season on (which is when I discovered it).  And that's definitely one of the show's more memorable scenes; you have excellent taste, JD.  O0 



Not sure yet what I'm gonna do, gaming-wise.  Probably some Sovereignty, but beyond that I haven't a clue.  I have so many games I want to play right now (seriously, I can think of at least 8-9 just off the top of my head that are beckoning to me), that I'm honestly feeling rather overwhelmed at the moment. 

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Ian C on April 24, 2015, 05:20:49 AM
This weekend I'll be playing the two games that have taken my free time for over a week: Sovereignty Crown of Kings and GTA 5. I can't get enough of them.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 05:53:57 AM
I suck and I am a communist.  I will be playing Age of Wonders III.  And if I get bored of that, it will be Sovereignty: Crown of Kings.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: FlickJax on April 24, 2015, 06:21:54 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2015, 04:45:09 AM
It was imo the best decade for music - even the bad had some good vibe.

70 rock for me....Zeppelin, Floyd, Skynard, CCR, Purple, Wings, Sabath etc etc etc
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Staggerwing on April 24, 2015, 06:44:54 AM
Since I like everything from Judas Priest to Rilo Kiley I have no favorite decade per se but hearing a bunch of 80 music makes me very nostalgic for a certain time in my life when the future was wide open with possibilities and finding great music was an adventure of sorts, with no Internet for broad exposure and commercial radio stuck in AOR format. It was up to word-of-mouth, serendipity, and college radio stations to bring you the goods.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Tuna on April 24, 2015, 07:03:20 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on April 24, 2015, 06:21:54 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2015, 04:45:09 AM
It was imo the best decade for music - even the bad had some good vibe.

70 rock for me....Zeppelin, Floyd, Skynard, CCR, Purple, Wings, Sabath etc etc etc

FlickJax has it right!
Add some Allmans, Clapton, Little Feat, Stones, Zappa
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Toonces on April 24, 2015, 07:04:56 AM
 :buck2:
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 24, 2015, 07:16:16 AM
Depeche Mode is awesome. Almost as awesome as 80s Cure and U2. And I didn't even have to consult the Google to formulate those opinions.

I think I will start the Operation Bagration campaign in BA2 - Eastern Front, and I may fire up Sniper Elite III.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Bison on April 24, 2015, 07:26:12 AM


Depeche Mode isn't that great.

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2015, 07:29:01 AM
That J Geils band song was a huge turn on for me at 14 years old  :-\
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Bison on April 24, 2015, 07:30:35 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2015, 07:29:01 AM
That J Geils band song was a huge turn on for me at 14 years old  :-\

Hell yeah!  Let's bring on more classic 80's music!

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Bison on April 24, 2015, 07:33:39 AM


Everyone needs a little 80's metal too.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Bison on April 24, 2015, 07:38:20 AM
And no discussion of the 80s is of any value if you ignore...

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Bison on April 24, 2015, 07:43:46 AM
As far as gaming goes.  I've got a AOW III Campaign going as the Tigran.  The Lords of Eternity expansion is awesome.  Otherwise it's a serious to-do list around the house and approximately 100 diaper changes.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Kushan on April 24, 2015, 07:54:03 AM
I'll be working my way towards 70 with my season 3 barbarian in Diablo 3 and continuing my EUIV - Austria and Distant Worlds AAR's.

There may be some Cities: Skylines if I can find the right map. The last few maps I've tried just haven't grabbed me or had a really difficult starting area.

I'll definitely be doing some more LUA scripting and AI mission set up for my current Command scenario.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Shelldrake on April 24, 2015, 08:07:56 AM
Some more AoW3 for me and maybe some Farcry 2 to scratch the FPS itch.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Barthheart on April 24, 2015, 08:13:49 AM
Normandy 44 PBEM with Cyrano which I missed last week because of honey doo lists...  :knuppel2:
More yard work - planting.
Some review writing.
and Solar War when I can squeeze it in.

(https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11174920_10152718096552234_8695407922521201309_n.jpg?oh=5650bf81452ba238bba2c65e9753d5ed&oe=55E5ACB1)





Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Anguille on April 24, 2015, 08:20:24 AM
Lots of great music!  :smitten:

Really enjoyed Scrubs as well.

I haven't played anything this week yet. I think i'll play some Galactic Civilization 2 and Civilization IV.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Rayfer on April 24, 2015, 08:39:29 AM
Quote from: Toonces on April 24, 2015, 03:23:58 AM
I also shall be gaming the American Civil War.  Having just finished Catton's Mr. Lincoln's Army Volume 1 that climaxes with the Battle of Antietam, I will therefore be playing Scourge of War: Antietam in their honor and trying to do better than the pathetic disaster that was McClellan.  God I hate that man.

And, for what it's worth, Depeche Mode was among the best 80's bands and I shall listen to them while drinking rum.



By the way, if you don't like Depeche Mode then you suck and are also a communist.

LOL...toonces, then I'm a sucking commie....the 1980's; music's lost decade.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Rayfer on April 24, 2015, 08:41:28 AM
Deep into Pillars of Eternity....it's a very big game and I'm still far from finishing, but it still keeps me coming back for more.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Sir Slash on April 24, 2015, 08:52:05 AM
Thanks to encouragement from WallysWorld, I've gone back to CMFI's Conrath's Counterattack Battle #3 and now am making some decent progress there. Also pushing ahead in R2TW as Rome, making the Med safe for all with ships carrying Big-Ass Catapaults.  About to unleash some Gladiators on Carthage.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: bbmike on April 24, 2015, 08:57:15 AM
Too many music video links/talk in this thread. Too confused now to decide on what games to play.  :buck2:
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Nefaro on April 24, 2015, 09:03:20 AM
It's been three weeks since I've played a PC game. 

Don't get me wrong, I've tried a couple times.  But I just stared at the screen for a minute and then Meh.  Tabletop gaming not getting a whole lot more attention either.

What the hell is wrong with me?  Am I losing it in my advancing age?  :idiot2:

If I still lived in the backwoods, I'd just go on a 2-day bender with some interspersed gunplay to get my head straight.  Like Spike Jonze's "Day Job"  in Three Kings:



Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Sir Slash on April 24, 2015, 09:12:40 AM
Watch some youtube vids of people playing games badly and you'll be right back in the zone.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: WallysWorld on April 24, 2015, 09:45:22 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on April 24, 2015, 08:52:05 AM
Thanks to encouragement from WallysWorld, I've gone back to CMFI's Conrath's Counterattack Battle #3 and now am making some decent progress there.
Glad to hear that. I haven't started the fourth battle yet, but maybe later today. My armor is really depleted so I have to be super careful with what I have left.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: sandman2575 on April 24, 2015, 09:45:29 AM
eh, I'd take The Cure over DM any day of the week and twice on Friday 'I'm in love' -- (see what i did there?)

anyhoo...

OOTP 16 continues its stranglehold on my playing time. I only discovered OOTP with version 14, and maybe that's a good thing considering how obsessed I've become with this game... making up for lost time, maybe.

Distant Worlds -- can't remember last time I got so drawn back into a game I originally bought years ago. Finally making the effort to learn after countless aborted attempts.  Playing from the very beginning, on pre-warp era, with everything set to 'manual' helps a ton with getting into it. So often before I just felt like the game was essentially playing itself. Amazing depth.

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MengJiao on April 24, 2015, 09:55:47 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 24, 2015, 03:32:25 AM
Blowing up con and jomni some more and writing about it in the aars

And this week I shall be jumping balls deep into CMANO, it's a game that deserves my love

  Maybe some CMANO, maybe some PanzerBattlesKursk PBEM, definitely some Attila and DCS and boardgames -- which will be Enemy at the Gates Little Saturn.  I think I'm sort of getting the hang of OCS -- it gets pretty interesting when you do breakthrough -- and then what?  You can drive off deep and get wiped out fast or you can orchestrate bringing up the Guards infantry and the Kaytushas and supplies or something slightly more daring.  Badanov got to Tatinskyia, but was promply wiped out.  seems like there's a better way maybe.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Cyrano on April 24, 2015, 10:01:33 AM
Barth, Doug, and I will NEVER get to hit the beaches of Sicily unless the former sends me a TURN...selah...

PBEM Leipzig, CMBS, and wrapping up PzC with Doug.  In the latter, the LAH tried its very best to punch through at Kursk, but, alas...

Radio show on Saturday.

And, very likely, a couple scenarios of "Heroes of Normandie".

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

For whom the crux of the biscuit will always be the apostrophe...

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Barthheart on April 24, 2015, 10:34:54 AM
Quote from: Cyrano on April 24, 2015, 10:01:33 AM
Barth, Doug, and I will NEVER get to hit the beaches of Sicily unless the former sends me a TURN...selah...
...

Ya, ya.....  :P
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on April 24, 2015, 10:37:28 AM
I'm reading an e-book about WWI on the Eastern Front, so I'll be continuing to learn and play World War One: Centennial Edition. I also tried to play To End All Wars, but I'm just not convinced that the AGE engine is a good one for operational combat in WWI. I'll probably give that another go, however.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: KyzBP on April 24, 2015, 11:07:02 AM
Since it looks like it's going to be an 80's music weekend, I thought I'd include what I consider the greatest song of the 80's and one of the top 5 songs ever:



I was so smitten  :smitten: with the girl in the video.

I'll continue working my way through Eastside Hockey Manager:EA.  They've opened up a few more leagues so I'll be giving the German Elite League a spin.  I also hope to revisit Vietnam 65.  I haven't played since the updates so I'm curious to see the improvements.

Also, at some point in time, I'll probably drink too many beers and watch 80's music videos on YouTube.

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: TacticalWargames on April 24, 2015, 11:34:09 AM
GTAV, Black Sea, Red Thunder.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: W8taminute on April 24, 2015, 12:34:30 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on April 24, 2015, 09:12:40 AM
Watch some youtube vids of people playing games badly and you'll be right back in the zone.

QFT and +1.  This is how I psyche myself up whenever I'm in a gaming rut.


Cool tuneage KyzBP.   O0

Here's my contribution:




Gaming wise:  I'm just about to come out of my second attempt at the harsh first Russian winter of War in the East and I'm happy to say my lines held up well.  Had to give up a lot of ground but my men are still alive.  Now to bring in my Panzers that have been refitting in Poland to deal a death blow to mighty Joe!  (Stalin that is)

Then I'll play some Sovereignty Crown of Kings
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 24, 2015, 12:36:59 PM
Am I the only one here who thinks music gets better as time goes on?  I love some of the better bands of the sixties and seventies as much as the next man (Pink Floyd were my first true love) but I'm constantly discovering new music by new bands that absolutely knocks my socks off.

Anyway.  I'm in a gaming funk right now too.  Not for lack of games - I just don't feel like playing anything.  If I get around to playing, it will be one or more of:

Worlds of Magic
Solar War
Interstellar Marines
Starbound
VoidExpanse
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: sandman2575 on April 24, 2015, 12:47:24 PM
Have you cooled on Star Ruler 2, Huw?
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: bob48 on April 24, 2015, 12:55:07 PM
Quote from: FlickJax on April 24, 2015, 06:21:54 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2015, 04:45:09 AM
It was imo the best decade for music - even the bad had some good vibe.

70 rock for me....Zeppelin, Floyd, Skynard, CCR, Purple, Wings, Sabath etc etc etc

Good man! Excellent tastes in music.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 24, 2015, 12:55:39 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on April 24, 2015, 12:47:24 PM
Have you cooled on Star Ruler 2, Huw?

Ah, no, I just forgot about it for a minute there!  In all honesty, I'm not likely to play anything this weekend. :(
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 24, 2015, 01:36:07 PM
How Soon is Now is one of the greatest songs of the era, by far.

Maybe I will fire up AoWIII with the Depeche Mode Personal Jesus mod.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: KyzBP on April 24, 2015, 02:28:30 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on April 24, 2015, 12:34:30 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on April 24, 2015, 09:12:40 AM
Watch some youtube vids of people playing games badly and you'll be right back in the zone.

QFT and +1.  This is how I psyche myself up whenever I'm in a gaming rut.


Cool tuneage KyzBP.   O0

Here's my contribution:




Gaming wise:  I'm just about to come out of my second attempt at the harsh first Russian winter of War in the East and I'm happy to say my lines held up well.  Had to give up a lot of ground but my men are still alive.  Now to bring in my Panzers that have been refitting in Poland to deal a death blow to mighty Joe!  (Stalin that is)

Then I'll play some Sovereignty Crown of Kings

Very cool W8!  But if you going with Morrissey on a bike...


I may finally pull the trigger on War In The East this weekend.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: mikeck on April 24, 2015, 02:50:33 PM
Quote from: Toonces on April 24, 2015, 03:23:58 AM
I also shall be gaming the American Civil War.  Having just finished Catton's Mr. Lincoln's Army Volume 1 that climaxes with the Battle of Antietam, I will therefore be playing Scourge of War: Antietam in their honor and trying to do better than the pathetic disaster that was McClellan.  God I hate that man.


Cmon Toonces! Don't be so hard on Little Mac. He built that on the of the Potomac from scratch and in terms of logistics I don't think there was a better journal in the war or more talented one when it came from moving in on me from point a to point B and getting it into fighting condition quickly

He would've been the best Stafordshire of the war. Unfortunately once he got on the battleground he was more afraid of losing then he was interested in winning and could never put the pedal down when It counted. It's a shame he goes down as such a bad general when in reality he just had one fault he was afraid to commit troops when he needed to. Outside of that it was actually a pretty great general just a tad too big of an ego for that I guess

It is interesting though to fight Antietam on scourge  of war saying to yourself Mac...look just commit your reserve man!  just commit the two corps you have in reserve and get on with it!"

Kids today need to look back at how many of the songs they like which are actually 80s redux
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: W8taminute on April 24, 2015, 03:03:27 PM
^^Yeah!  I forgot about that one.  Good pick KyzBP. 

If you have any questions or doubts before you pull that trigger on WitE let me know.  I'd be happy to answer any questions and there are quite a few other grogs here who could help as well.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: KyzBP on April 24, 2015, 03:36:09 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on April 24, 2015, 03:03:27 PM
^^Yeah!  I forgot about that one.  Good pick KyzBP. 

If you have any questions or doubts before you pull that trigger on WitE let me know.  I'd be happy to answer any questions and there are quite a few other grogs here who could help as well.

My hesitation has been that I've only made it as far as 1/44 in WitP.  Games of a scale of WiTP and WiTE require so much of an investment in time that I seem to balk at the last second when it comes to purchasing them.  However, I have almost NO will power so I'm sure I'll own it before the weekend is over.  :tickedoff:
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 24, 2015, 04:14:05 PM


I really wish the Talking Heads could put their differences aside and go on tour. Seeing them live is on my bucket list of things to do before I die.

GTAV, GalCiv III, ARMA 3, something total war.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: KyzBP on April 24, 2015, 04:24:44 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 24, 2015, 04:14:05 PM


I really wish the Talking Heads could put their differences aside and go on tour. Seeing them live is on my bucket list of things to do before I die.

GTAV, GalCiv III, ARMA 3, something total war.

Yes, yes, and more yes!  Psycho Killer live would be a bucket list event.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: mikeck on April 24, 2015, 04:31:49 PM
I have been addicted to ARMA 3 now for a few weeks. Halfway through the campaign and I'm just having fun with it. Never really liked first person shooters but I really enjoy the realism. Still on the fence about brother against brother so in the meantime I think I may file up scourge of war.

You go back and finish up my campaign for Graviteam  tactics operation star
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Airborne Rifles on April 24, 2015, 05:38:58 PM
Quote from: Martok on April 24, 2015, 05:07:37 AM
I love Scrubs -- easily one of my favorite TV shows of all time.  I watched it religiously from the third season on (which is when I discovered it).  And that's definitely one of the show's more memorable scenes; you have excellent taste, JD.  O0 

+1
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Airborne Rifles on April 24, 2015, 05:41:03 PM
No gaming for me this weekend. Travelling home. I'll be trying to catch up on some CMANO this week.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 24, 2015, 05:53:53 PM
David Byrne is one crazy mofo.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Staggerwing on April 24, 2015, 06:04:39 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 24, 2015, 05:53:53 PM
David Byrne is one crazy mofo.

Stop making sense!
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 24, 2015, 06:07:31 PM
I know!
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 06:53:50 PM
After seeing what some of you consider great music, I now know why you are gamers...
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: -budd- on April 24, 2015, 07:09:27 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 06:53:50 PM
After seeing what some of you consider great music, I now know why you are gamers...
O0

Know idea what i'll play, the funk is in full effect. Probably some Sovereignty, maybe some AOW3, no idea...maybe i'll drink and listen to music and watch other people play.

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Bison on April 24, 2015, 07:52:20 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 06:53:50 PM
After seeing what some of you consider great music, I now know why you are gamers...

Whatever hippie!
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: panzerde on April 24, 2015, 07:54:11 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2015, 04:45:09 AM
It was imo the best decade for music - even the bad had some good vibe.

If you loved the '80s and like reading SF, grab Ready Player One if you haven't read it already.

Probably trading PBEM scenarios with Cyrano and playing more Brother Against Brother. Might try and continue my Pillars of Eternity game, too.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 07:57:39 PM
Quote from: Bison on April 24, 2015, 07:52:20 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 06:53:50 PM
After seeing what some of you consider great music, I now know why you are gamers...

Whatever hippie!

I got your hippie right here!


Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 08:05:49 PM
Quote from: Bison on April 24, 2015, 07:52:20 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 06:53:50 PM
After seeing what some of you consider great music, I now know why you are gamers...

Whatever hippie!

Ok.  You're right.  I'm a hippie.

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 24, 2015, 08:06:44 PM
Shirley - we can all agree that this is awesome. And from the 80s.

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 08:11:09 PM
Yes.  It IS awesome.  And stop calling me Shirley.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 24, 2015, 08:12:38 PM
^See Shirley? Even the hippie likes it. Hard not to. That guy cuts that shiznit up with his guitar. Classic.

That song and video changed my feeble 15 year old mind forever.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 24, 2015, 08:14:28 PM
Fashion sense aside, they just don't make them like this anymore.

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: -budd- on April 24, 2015, 08:32:57 PM
sure they do circa ..2012 ;)


Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Staggerwing on April 24, 2015, 08:54:32 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 08:05:49 PM
Quote from: Bison on April 24, 2015, 07:52:20 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 06:53:50 PM
After seeing what some of you consider great music, I now know why you are gamers...

Whatever hippie!

Ok.  You're right.  I'm a hippie.






There's a groovy funked-out version of that song from the Bloomfield, Kooper, & Stills Supersessions:


Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Al on April 24, 2015, 09:06:24 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 24, 2015, 08:14:28 PM
Fashion sense aside, they just don't make them like this anymore.



+1

..and playing some East Prussia 1914 PBEM this weekend.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 24, 2015, 09:27:39 PM
A guilty pleasure.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 09:52:34 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 24, 2015, 08:54:32 PM


There's a groovy funked-out version of that song from the Bloomfield, Kooper, & Stills Supersessions:




I like CSN(&Y) and early Blood, Sweat and Tears.  Not really familiar with Mike Bloomfield outside of the respect musicians of the time had for him.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Bison on April 24, 2015, 09:55:52 PM
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 10:14:20 PM
YES!  Can't wait for OOTP '16 to go on sale! Really liked the '15 demo.  I can see myself losing hours to that game!
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Toonces on April 24, 2015, 10:24:35 PM
Is this the best thread evar or what?!   :smitten:
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 10:26:02 PM
Music and games are right up there with T&A in the pantheon :)
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 24, 2015, 10:32:41 PM
Dare I say I sometimes enjoy the music most.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 10:49:15 PM
There are times where that is certainly a most acceptable answer.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 25, 2015, 12:48:03 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 06:53:50 PM
After seeing what some of you consider great music, I now know why you are gamers...
I have a MASSIVE range of likes when it comes to music. Everything from opera and classic right through to crummy pop and everything in between.

Like the above, I love the 60s, the 70s and the 80s after that - music wasn't great for me (as a decade) but I still love some of the stuff that came out.

I mentioned the 80's as a great decade very possibly because it was my formative years. A young boy growing up and spreading his wings to put it poetically. Another very popular decade for me was the '50's. I was a Phsychobilly (sometimes literally) back in the 80's...flat top, surplus clothing, winkle pickers. Whilst that isn't seen to be fitting in with the 80's that's what was so cool about the 80's...you could like whatever music you liked but be who you wanted to be.

Maybe the 80's wasn't exclusively like that but it was my formative years and so I remember it as such.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Toonces on April 25, 2015, 01:11:51 AM
What in the heck is a winkle picker? 
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 25, 2015, 01:51:12 AM
Quote from: Toonces on April 25, 2015, 01:11:51 AM
What in the heck is a winkle picker? 

Gus knows.  He offered to show me one time but I got scared and ran away...
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: spelk on April 25, 2015, 02:24:24 AM
Quote from: Toonces on April 25, 2015, 01:11:51 AM
What in the heck is a winkle picker?

A type of boot/shoe with a very pointy end:

(https://pointcreationspace.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/croc2-scaled1000.jpg)

or

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F_Tkx3FrgQ8F4%2FSqF0JnvhXdI%2FAAAAAAAABPI%2FCF8t3Bz6dyI%2Fs800%2FpixieMarket_winklePickers.jpg&hash=b211c48bdc2c6e1d9bb697bd985caddce7b83050)

or something sharp that allows you to pull the slimy snot-like meat out of the snail-like winkle...

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thefishsociety.co.uk%2Fbinary_data%2F13999_winkles.jpg&hash=6feec936cd690fce68ed178062c09661a0642f30)

(https://jpwaldron.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img_3494.jpg)


I always thought Rockabillies

(https://thesandoblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/fireballs.jpg)

preferred Beetle-crushers to winkle pickers.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41GNdx55oQL._SX395_.jpg&hash=33bea33bf734f32674da8ba57ac6cbe676010ff0)

But then I was a winkle-picking Goth myself. 80's style Goth, not these new Marylin Manson wanna-bes!

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesistersofmercy.co.uk%2Fassets%2Fimages%2F15.jpg&hash=9f7d2b6beec874104a5d6676a96e7a54d28747d0)

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 25, 2015, 02:41:52 AM
I wasn't Rockabilly - I was Psychobilly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychobilly


Having said that - I actually think I was a eclectic mix. But that was the great thing about the 80's - you could do and be whomever the hell you wanted to be and mixing it up was absolutely fine
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Anguille on April 25, 2015, 03:38:28 AM
One of my favs from the 80's....pure rock! Listen loud.  :)



Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Nefaro on April 25, 2015, 04:17:16 AM
Quote from: mikeck on April 24, 2015, 02:50:33 PM
Quote from: Toonces on April 24, 2015, 03:23:58 AM
I also shall be gaming the American Civil War.  Having just finished Catton's Mr. Lincoln's Army Volume 1 that climaxes with the Battle of Antietam, I will therefore be playing Scourge of War: Antietam in their honor and trying to do better than the pathetic disaster that was McClellan.  God I hate that man.


Cmon Toonces! Don't be so hard on Little Mac. He built that on the of the Potomac from scratch and in terms of logistics I don't think there was a better journal in the war or more talented one when it came from moving in on me from point a to point B and getting it into fighting condition quickly

He would've been the best Stafordshire of the war. Unfortunately once he got on the battleground he was more afraid of losing then he was interested in winning and could never put the pedal down when It counted. It's a shame he goes down as such a bad general when in reality he just had one fault he was afraid to commit troops when he needed to. Outside of that it was actually a pretty great general just a tad too big of an ego for that I guess

It is interesting though to fight Antietam on scourge  of war saying to yourself Mac...look just commit your reserve man!  just commit the two corps you have in reserve and get on with it!"



Little Mac seemed to be an egotist of some sort.  He was also a politician who fit the false self-promotion and smearing tendencies often associated with them.  There are some accounts from his peers and press interviewers who painted him as such IIRC, after dealing with him.

To what extent that is true, I do not know.  But it's not only his offensive inability but his behavior in politics that earned him bad marks.  His men loved him because he didn't want to force a fight with the enemy and get the men he trained killed, but when he was booted for inactivity he began pointing fingers at everyone else and started making wild claims about his superior abilities.  That was why his peers and others disliked him.  The egotism was probably exposed to the public even more when he ran for the presidency, but there were smear campaigns even back then and being in the middle of the war, some criticisms of him were probably just that.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Pete Dero on April 25, 2015, 04:37:43 AM


Perfect wargaming music.

Not really compatible with Endless Space i'm currently playing.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Father Ted on April 25, 2015, 05:02:38 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 25, 2015, 02:41:52 AM
Having said that - I actually think I was a eclectic mix. But that was the great thing about the 80's - you could do and be whomever the hell you wanted to be and mixing it up was absolutely fine

Do you think that's objectively true or that everybody thinks that about "their" time?  For the record (scuse the pun) I was at 'Atfield Poly '84-'87, so that was definitely "my" time, but what I really remember is actively disliking the music of the time (what I liked, and like today, mostly happened 10-15 years earlier). I do revisit it via Youtube'n'beer for nostalgia purposes, but most of the stuff the characterises the period is not for me.

Anyhoo...Tonight (Sat) I shall be lending my questionable flying skills to the Entente side in RoF's "Bloody April V" campaign.  It's a really fun event in which RoF's MP community wargame a set of scenarios.  Other than that I intend to get some more time in SoW and CO2  -  though the genre-crossing may give me a bit of vertigo...
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: bob48 on April 25, 2015, 05:31:33 AM


1968. I would have been at technical collage doing metallurgy.

Given up playing AoW III due to this stupid 'Age of Deception' bug, for which it seems there is no fix and just totally screws up your game.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: undercovergeek on April 25, 2015, 05:39:46 AM
Quote from: bob48 on April 25, 2015, 05:31:33 AM
Given up playing AoW III due to this stupid 'Age of Deception' bug, for which it seems there is no fix and just totally screws up your game.

oh balls - whats this?
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 25, 2015, 05:42:00 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on April 25, 2015, 05:02:38 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 25, 2015, 02:41:52 AM
Having said that - I actually think I was a eclectic mix. But that was the great thing about the 80's - you could do and be whomever the hell you wanted to be and mixing it up was absolutely fine

Do you think that's objectively true or that everybody thinks that about "their" time?  For the record (scuse the pun) I was at 'Atfield Poly '84-'87, so that was definitely "my" time, but what I really remember is actively disliking the music of the time (what I liked, and like today, mostly happened 10-15 years earlier). I do revisit it via Youtube'n'beer for nostalgia purposes, but most of the stuff the characterises the period is not for me.

Anyhoo...Tonight (Sat) I shall be lending my questionable flying skills to the Entente side in RoF's "Bloody April V" campaign.  It's a really fun event in which RoF's MP community wargame a set of scenarios.  Other than that I intend to get some more time in SoW and CO2  -  though the genre-crossing may give me a bit of vertigo...
I think everybody likely thinks that about their time. It is just my opinion - but clearly linked to the era and even the place and environment I grew up in.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: bob48 on April 25, 2015, 05:50:09 AM
Its a spell that can be cast by a rogue that lowers everyone's empire happiness by -400. It does not trigger disjunction, and even if the caster is allied to you, it still effects you. The only way to stop it is to kill the caster, if you can identify who it is.

Once its in effect, your empire starts to fall apart - troops desert and income drops dramatically. There are loads of complaints about it on the AoW forums, and people generally just terminate the game when this is cast, even if the game is 100+ turns old. So far, I've had this happen in at least 3 games and its very frustrating indeed, especially if the caster is allied to you.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: undercovergeek on April 25, 2015, 05:58:10 AM
nasty - have they committed to getting it sorted?
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: bob48 on April 25, 2015, 06:01:57 AM
As far as I can see, there has been nothing from the devs to answer this, despite the number of comments about it on the forum. I'm surprised that no one else here who plays the game has come across it.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: undercovergeek on April 25, 2015, 06:10:10 AM
So far its been CMBS with Jomni and Con, both subject to cunning plans by me  :o

Going out now with Junior but on return there will be a committed forray into the CMANO tutorials and some CMBS map designing now my broken bridge has fitted properly
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 25, 2015, 06:19:36 AM
Quote from: bob48 on April 25, 2015, 05:50:09 AM
Its a spell that can be cast by a rogue that lowers everyone's empire happiness by -400. It does not trigger disjunction, and even if the caster is allied to you, it still effects you. The only way to stop it is to kill the caster, if you can identify who it is.

Once its in effect, your empire starts to fall apart - troops desert and income drops dramatically. There are loads of complaints about it on the AoW forums, and people generally just terminate the game when this is cast, even if the game is 100+ turns old. So far, I've had this happen in at least 3 games and its very frustrating indeed, especially if the caster is allied to you.

Sounds like it's an oversight that it can't be countered by disjunction, because that's precisely what disjunction is for.  I reckon the devs will fix it soon.  But still, quitting a 100+ turn game due to this spell seems hasty.  Admittedly I haven't put much time into a game but unless I'm misremembering I would regularly have empire happiness of at least that.  Terraforming all of your city's lands to preferred terrain is a huge boost in this regard.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: bob48 on April 25, 2015, 06:38:21 AM
Yeah, I did all the things that give positive benefits, but its still not enough to counter the negative effects. Even so, its pretty daft to have a spell that cannot be countered by disjunction.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Staggerwing on April 25, 2015, 06:50:45 AM
Quote from: spelk on April 25, 2015, 02:24:24 AM
Quote from: Toonces on April 25, 2015, 01:11:51 AM
What in the heck is a winkle picker?

A type of boot/shoe with a very pointy end:




Back then we used to call those 'Fence Climbers' (as in 'chain-link fence'). They were popular for a little while in the late 70's and early 80's in the US and associated with the early New-Wave look. They were also popular with the late 70's urban Latino community.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Bison on April 25, 2015, 07:01:44 AM
My current AoW 3 game  is around turn 70 or so.  And I started a bunch of games and restarted just because I was trying to learn the difference between the various leader and faction types.  I'd have to believe they will address that spell, because it certainly doesn't seem to be working right based on your description.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: bob48 on April 25, 2015, 07:11:09 AM
What makes it really annoying is the fact that the caster may be a faction that you have not 'met' as yet, and maybe located on the opposite side of the map.

This has happened to me even with a game where I had nothing left to research and all my cities had every expansion built. The individual cities were all at 'happy' or better, and yet the spell, whilst in effect, drags your empire happiness down.

Maybe more experienced players will tell me where I'm going wrong if such be the case, although the comments I've read on the games forum does seem to indicate that this is a 'bug' for want of a better term, that has not been address in any patch or update.

Its certainly stopping me from buying the DLC for the game.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Bison on April 25, 2015, 07:14:42 AM
Also the 80s were nothing if they didn't produce the POWER BALLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Bison on April 25, 2015, 07:17:09 AM
I'll have to go reads some of the threads.  It certainly sounds like it's a bug.  Also make Mrs. Bob buy you the DLC so you don't have to have a guilty conscience.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Bison on April 25, 2015, 07:17:55 AM
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Bison on April 25, 2015, 07:23:48 AM
And seriously no one has played a Clash video yet?  WTF is our problem here?

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Father Ted on April 25, 2015, 07:50:00 AM
Is power ballet actually a thing?  Leotards with shoulder pads?
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: bob48 on April 25, 2015, 07:51:16 AM
armoured tutu's?
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Staggerwing on April 25, 2015, 07:52:25 AM
Quote from: Bison on April 25, 2015, 07:23:48 AM
And seriously no one has played a Clash video yet?  WTF is our problem here?


OK...


















Not the Clash but certainly related:

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: bob48 on April 25, 2015, 08:13:34 AM
Quote from: Bison on April 25, 2015, 07:17:09 AM
I'll have to go reads some of the threads.  It certainly sounds like it's a bug.  Also make Mrs. Bob buy you the DLC so you don't have to have a guilty conscience.

OK, this is strange. According to the 1.5 patch notes, 'Age of Deception' now only applies to factions that the caster is at war with, and yet, in my last game, I got hit with it even though I was not at war with anyone.

I'm going to abandon that game and start afresh and see what happens.

Nice idea, Bison - I've passed on your comment to Mrs.B.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 25, 2015, 08:30:22 AM
This Age of Bawb bug disturbs me. Haven't bought the DLC yet but it still disturbs me.

The Magnificent Seven is the 2nd best Clash song of all time.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Rayfer on April 25, 2015, 10:15:44 AM
Can't wait for next Friday to put this 80's music flashback nightmare to rest.   :knuppel2:
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: bob48 on April 25, 2015, 11:34:35 AM
Quote from: Gusington on April 25, 2015, 08:30:22 AM
This Age of Bawb bug disturbs me. Haven't bought the DLC yet but it still disturbs me.

The Magnificent Seven is the 2nd best Clash song of all time.

Started a new random map using the Hobbits Haflings (yes, I just got Golden Realms). Like what I see so far, and no problems, although I'm only 50 or so turns into the game.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Arctic Blast on April 25, 2015, 03:46:37 PM
I've been buying a lot of indie games over the past week, so I need to start trying some of those out. On the table, Super Dungeon Explore : Forgotten King, Jupiter Rescue, Colt Express and Black Fleet are hitting the table today and tomorrow. Possibly some others, too.

Oh, and :



Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 25, 2015, 08:27:52 PM
But...I do believe the hype.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: JasonPratt on April 25, 2015, 09:19:00 PM
Kaiju-A-Go-Go (tomorrow probably, too late tonight) -- haven't gamed much yesterday, and mostly played Reach for the Sun (a light strategy game about helping a flower grow; seriously, it's a real-time or turn-based resource strategy building game) with Nicemous Prime (plus some phone strategy games like Stone Age).

But today, from out of nowhere, came the news.

The news that, in effect, Crush, Crumble, and Chomp had been mixed with X-Com and released.

This is a game that hasn't existed since, CC&C's own lightweight remake The Movie Monster Game back in the 80s. (...no music video.)

IT
LIVES
AGAIN
BETTER
THAN
EVER!!

Or so I hope. Will report later.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Staggerwing on April 25, 2015, 09:25:56 PM
What is it, a digital 'Creature that Ate Sheboygan' -type game?
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: JasonPratt on April 25, 2015, 10:24:01 PM
Yes. Yes. A Thousand Times Yes.

(The UI could use some more refining. As could the tutorial. But it's very much a spiritual successor and major improvement to the old CC&C game.)

The game ships with one 'campaign', using GINORMASAURUS! -- a robot dinosaur. (Essentially Mechagodzilla.) The devs missed their original Kickstarter goal, but wisely chose to devote the money they received to finishing and releasing the game with only one monster (G-saur). Anyone buying in now will get another two monster campaigns for free (an "Ashely" type plant creature created by an expy of Poison Ivy, and a Frankenstein-type hulk). As each creature is released, the base price for the game goes up a dollar. It's one of the most reasonable release progressions I've seen. (Future monsters beyond the first three will be typical DLC.)

As with CC&C, the player starts any campaign with a basic chassis (in this case a MechaG expy) which has some basic abilities somewhat similar to and somewhat different from other chassis. In the original CCC the player then bought various abilities at certain fixed costs from an overall cost pool provided by the basic chassis -- some abilities were unique to some chassis or cost more or less than on other chassis. Then the player took their monster into a metropolis inspired by realworld cities and simply tried to rack up a score by surviving long enough to destroy enough things to get a high score. (I don't recall if the original game was real-time or turn based. I think tb.) Aside from the military continually ramping up its threat so long as the monster roamed, biological creatures (there was one robot chassis originally) also had to eat and so the player had to plot how to grab and eat fleeing civilians or attacking soldiers.

All that stuff is in Kaiju-A-Go-Go, too. (Or will be as the dev releases further chassis.) But there's one huge difference (aside from the game being realtime now.)

The difference is that the player has a secret island, with a secret base; and the player sends the monster out to attack cities around the world. Much like in X-Com the monster takes time to get to the city and back; once at the city your attacks on various buildings (and especially landmarks) yield various kinds of resources, which the monster collects (or not if the resource falls off to the side behind where you're sending the monster -- or if the monster's capacity for that resource is full). The monster can be destroyed by the military -- so can the city! -- which sends out increasingly more powerful troops in response to your threat; so eventually the player needs to plot a retreat off the map, whereupon the monster returns back to base and offloads its stash. The island is mostly forested, but you direct your minions to clear off trees and to build new facilities of various kinds, which provide various benefits (but need payment of various costs plus continuing upkeep). The monster takes time to repair; and then can be trained in offense, defense, or movement skills (which also takes time and costs various resources). In this and some other senses it's quite XCommy.

The goal is to force the worlds' governments to capitulate to your rule by terrorizing them into submission through destroying the major cities in each region. Cities will partially rebuild over time as the monster is traveling back and forth from the island (and repairing, and training, and going off to smash other cities for fun and profit), which recovers some regional morale; and the military will also begin setting up cordons in areas that have been often hit. Sometimes your communications array back at base will pick up on special benefits or problems in cities, for example (in my current game) Costa Rica could suffer a drought which renders it especially susceptible to fire, increasing the amount of incidental damage caused by the monster (and the military response). And also increasing the environmental damage if the monster is caught in the fire! (The Ginormasaur chassis isn't very vulnerable to fire, I think; but presumably the plant and the frankenmonster would be.)

As regions begin to capitulate to your rule, the world's governments will eventually find your island base and launch military attacks on it. They can even develop their own kaiju and deploy that in a city or against your base!
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: southern_cross_116 on April 25, 2015, 10:39:16 PM
Watching hockey, and throwing together some scenarios (which are pretty rough at this stage) for Tiller's REN - the point being mostly to show what you can and cannot do with the engine - and that is mainly about showing the division between programmer and a title's scenario designer. A lot of the interpretation of an engine is through the lens of its scenario designer -especially in the initial title in a series.

These things at this point amount to my messing around, as opposed to anything else (they are that unpolished).  :D

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 26, 2015, 05:23:42 AM
Dammit!  There was a post on Steam mentioning that the Compendium for Dota 2's next International will go on sale next week!  So I just had to start playing it again, didn't I?!  Just offline with bots for now as I'm pretty damn rusty, but it was very enjoyable nonetheless. :)
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Toonces on April 26, 2015, 05:55:08 AM
OOOF, so hard to comment!

Too loaded...I'll trya gain tomorrow!!1!!   :D

Gus - 1
Bicon  - 2
rest - 3
clast - 4 i hate them
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Toonces on April 26, 2015, 06:18:13 AM


F-yeah, and even Starfury can't argue with that!
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 26, 2015, 06:52:44 AM
I love your drunken ramblings Toonces!  ;D
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Bison on April 26, 2015, 08:23:35 AM
Quote from: Toonces on April 26, 2015, 05:55:08 AM
OOOF, so hard to comment!

Too loaded...I'll trya gain tomorrow!!1!!   :D

Gus - 1
Bicon  - 2
rest - 3
clast - 4 i hate them

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 26, 2015, 02:21:20 PM
Oonah panoonah banka Toonces! HAHAHA
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: undercovergeek on April 26, 2015, 02:30:23 PM
is that meant to be Una Paloma Blanca?
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 26, 2015, 02:33:20 PM
Yes, if properly sauced. Like Toonces.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Staggerwing on April 26, 2015, 02:45:48 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 26, 2015, 02:21:20 PM
Oonah panoonah banka Toonces! HAHAHA

Wookin Pah Nub
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 26, 2015, 03:09:09 PM
In all the wrong places?
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: bob48 on April 26, 2015, 03:14:09 PM
...in all the old familiar places?
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Toonces on April 26, 2015, 03:48:17 PM
Thanks to Huw for letting me know it was time for bed last night!   :-*

But seriously, I hate the freakin' Clash.  I did watch all of the videos in this thread last night, though.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Staggerwing on April 26, 2015, 04:05:06 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 26, 2015, 03:09:09 PM
In all the wrong places?


Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Toonces on April 26, 2015, 04:08:23 PM
Man alive but I was feeling no pain last night.  What an awesome...well I'm not sure what you call what I did...drink-ex?  But I was going through each video in this thread and sipping rum and it was pretty epic.  Except for those Clash videos.

Then I got stuck watching clips of Miami Vice and, well, you know how that goes...   :buck2:
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 26, 2015, 05:10:31 PM
Toonces, I've spent many a night doing just that.  I sit down at my desk fully intending to play some games, but I click one single Youtube link and it's all over.  Three hours later I'm drunk as a skunk, I've watched a shitload of music videos, and now I have even more albums I need to buy.  >:(
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 26, 2015, 05:20:20 PM
Me too. Except The Clash were great. Not that 1984 Phil Collins, DM, The Smiths and NIN are not, but let's not be silly.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Arctic Blast on April 26, 2015, 11:21:00 PM
Ended up playing a board game called The Golden Ages as well. Really solid civ-lite game.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 09:35:07 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 24, 2015, 09:55:47 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 24, 2015, 03:32:25 AM
Blowing up con and jomni some more and writing about it in the aars

And this week I shall be jumping balls deep into CMANO, it's a game that deserves my love

  Maybe some CMANO, maybe some PanzerBattlesKursk PBEM, definitely some Attila and DCS and boardgames -- which will be Enemy at the Gates Little Saturn.  I think I'm sort of getting the hang of OCS -- it gets pretty interesting when you do breakthrough -- and then what?  You can drive off deep and get wiped out fast or you can orchestrate bringing up the Guards infantry and the Kaytushas and supplies or something slightly more daring.  Badanov got to Tatinskyia, but was promply wiped out.  seems like there's a better way maybe.

  wow!  Fun thread.  Wife #2 was a classically trained folk-punk quasi-rockstar.  She had 2 or 3 or 4 bands.  I saw a lot of great music from about 84 to 2004.  then she tried to kill me.  Anyway, it was fun up to a point. hehe.

But what happened this week-end: 1) nobody tried to kill me (always a plus)
                                                    2) played some panzerbattles Kursk
                                                    3) Some BoS
                                                    4) some boardgames
                                                     5) got Shadow of Mordor (still downloading last I looked) for 24.99!!! American Dollars!!!
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Barthheart on April 27, 2015, 10:34:19 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 09:35:07 AM
...
Wife #2 was a classically trained folk-punk quasi-rockstar.  She had 2 or 3 or 4 bands.  I saw a lot of great music from about 84 to 2004.  then she tried to kill me.  ...

Now there's a story that needs telling!  :smiley6600:
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 11:23:13 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on April 27, 2015, 10:34:19 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 09:35:07 AM
...
Wife #2 was a classically trained folk-punk quasi-rockstar.  She had 2 or 3 or 4 bands.  I saw a lot of great music from about 84 to 2004.  then she tried to kill me.  ...

Now there's a story that needs telling!  :smiley6600:

  You'd be surprised how embarrassing it is to even begin to admit to such near-death experiences!  For starters one (that one would be me) has to admit to a lot of pure cowardice at many levels, though from another angle, it's interesting to see one's (me again) survival instincts kick in.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Barthheart on April 27, 2015, 11:26:45 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 11:23:13 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on April 27, 2015, 10:34:19 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 09:35:07 AM
...
Wife #2 was a classically trained folk-punk quasi-rockstar.  She had 2 or 3 or 4 bands.  I saw a lot of great music from about 84 to 2004.  then she tried to kill me.  ...

Now there's a story that needs telling!  :smiley6600:

  You'd be surprised how embarrassing it is to even begin to admit to such near-death experiences!  For starters one (that one would be me) has to admit to a lot of pure cowardice at many levels, though from another angle, it's interesting to see one's (me again) survival instincts kick in.

O0
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 27, 2015, 12:54:08 PM
Meng you just took a boring day and turned it around. Do tell more!
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Sir Slash on April 27, 2015, 02:12:09 PM
An Ex-Wife that tries to kill you? Is that out of the ordinary or something? Mine truly made me suffer... she stayed married to me for far too long.  8)
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 02:19:06 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on April 27, 2015, 02:12:09 PM
An Ex-Wife that tries to kill you? Is that out of the ordinary or something? Mine truly made me suffer... she stayed married to me for far too long.  8)

  yep.  To tell the truth, wives who go nuts are not all that rare.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 27, 2015, 02:22:37 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 11:23:13 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on April 27, 2015, 10:34:19 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 09:35:07 AM
...
Wife #2 was a classically trained folk-punk quasi-rockstar.  She had 2 or 3 or 4 bands.  I saw a lot of great music from about 84 to 2004.  then she tried to kill me.  ...

Now there's a story that needs telling!  :smiley6600:

  You'd be surprised how embarrassing it is to even begin to admit to such near-death experiences!  For starters one (that one would be me) has to admit to a lot of pure cowardice at many levels, though from another angle, it's interesting to see one's (me again) survival instincts kick in.

Yeah...i would say it is only conceivably embarrassing if she had actually succeeded. You survived, so you still have your manly pride intact. Don't be so hard on yourself.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 02:25:31 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 27, 2015, 12:54:08 PM
Meng you just took a boring day and turned it around. Do tell more!

  I think the bare outline is about as un-boring as it gets.  The rest is just "husband survives domestic violence"...I would have looked pretty odd, not to mention pathetic, and or deranged showing up at a women's shelter.  No!  No!  I did what any man would have done and got away intact!
Not very glorious or of much narrative interest, but under such circumstances, in retrospect one (that would be me) has to say that
abject cowardice and just plain fear has its beneficial side -- after all exwife-#2 is doing fine and so am I.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 02:29:28 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 27, 2015, 02:22:37 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 11:23:13 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on April 27, 2015, 10:34:19 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 09:35:07 AM
...
Wife #2 was a classically trained folk-punk quasi-rockstar.  She had 2 or 3 or 4 bands.  I saw a lot of great music from about 84 to 2004.  then she tried to kill me.  ...

Now there's a story that needs telling!  :smiley6600:

  You'd be surprised how embarrassing it is to even begin to admit to such near-death experiences!  For starters one (that one would be me) has to admit to a lot of pure cowardice at many levels, though from another angle, it's interesting to see one's (me again) survival instincts kick in.

Yeah...i would say it is only conceivably embarrassing if she had actually succeeded. You survived, so you still have your manly pride intact. Don't be so hard on yourself.

  You're right.  Obviously I'm sort of okay with the having survived thing or I would not have mentioned it here.  Though of course it is still a sore spot as is plain to see.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Nefaro on April 27, 2015, 03:03:35 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 09:35:07 AM
  then she tried to kill me. 

I've been there. 

Ex went stalker for a time after break-up.  Answered the door at 3 AM and was viciously attacked.  Like a rabid animal trying to bite your throat out and claw your eyes.  Good thing she wasn't thinking clearly enough to come armed.  Finally had to restrain her, was so angry she couldn't talk - pretty much hissing and still attempting to draw blood.  Didn't stop trying to attack me until I held her upside down over the stairwell and she snapped back to reality.  She had been sitting outside my apartment all night, every night, possibly for a couple weeks, despite having a day job.  Crazy shit.

Tried telling everyone I had attacked her by showing them the restraining bruises on her wrists.  Threatened police etc etc.  Then showed up later and said she wouldn't press charges if I just gave her another chance because she was so good to me, etc, etc, and I should be thankful to have her in my life.  I started checking the peep hole on my door before opening it, after that.

I was in my early-to-mid twenties.  Was missing large chunks of hair, bloody scratches on my face, neck, shoulders.  Looked like I had been to quite a party or tried to hold onto a really angry wolverine for awhile.   Hopefully learned to watch out for the nutty multiple personality types but maybe those are the most attractive?  :))
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 03:12:45 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 27, 2015, 03:03:35 PM
  Hopefully learned to watch out for the nutty multiple personality types but maybe those are the most attractive?  :))

  The warning signs are fine until they come at you, I guess.  As long as the vicious stuff has other targets it seems kind of flattering that
you are somebody who doesn't get clobbered.  I'm not quite so haughty about such things now.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 27, 2015, 03:15:24 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 27, 2015, 03:03:35 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 09:35:07 AM
  then she tried to kill me. 
...was viciously attacked.  Like a rabid animal trying to bite your throat out and claw your eyes...restrain her...hissing and still attempting to draw blood... held her upside down over the stairwell
Not to make lite of your predicament Nef - and no-one is more happy you're still here than me - but we call that foreplay in Scotland  >:D
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Nefaro on April 27, 2015, 03:38:37 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 27, 2015, 03:15:24 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 27, 2015, 03:03:35 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 27, 2015, 09:35:07 AM
  then she tried to kill me. 
...was viciously attacked.  Like a rabid animal trying to bite your throat out and claw your eyes...restrain her...hissing and still attempting to draw blood... held her upside down over the stairwell
Not to make lite of your predicament Nef - and no-one is more happy you're still here than me - but we call that foreplay in Scotland  >:D


Oh..

I still made a couple booty calls over the next couple months.  Just made sure I had possible witnesses nearby and locked the door after quickly ushering her out.  Like flipping a shark on the nose.  I felt rather asshole-ish because it was obviously making the nuttery worse and avoided contact after those mistakes, not just for fear of my own life.

And even though I had moved shortly after the attack incident, I didn't have to tell her where my new place was.  That was rather sobering.  But, hey, I was young, dumb, and thought myself invincible and so pushed things to their limit.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: mirth on April 27, 2015, 03:43:46 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 27, 2015, 03:03:35 PM
Hopefully learned to watch out for the nutty multiple personality types but maybe those are the most attractive?  :))

Indeed they are.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Sir Slash on April 27, 2015, 09:58:39 PM
I had an Ex who stalked me once after SHE left me. Weird or what? Really bad part was after she got over it, she was the bartender at my favorite bar. So I had to stop going there because I was finding things floating in my drinks. Hell hath no Fury....
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: undercovergeek on April 28, 2015, 06:25:57 AM
Spent most of the weekend shooting at Con and Jomni as planned, Con has gone away on business i think so i can concentrate on Jomni and his dispicable forces

Also, after a good deal of ummm and ahhhing i found a game most suitable for sitting swirling Jamesons in a glass that doesnt involve a Medieval family tree and back stabbing allies in CKII (not theres anything at all wrong with that)

I played through the tutorial levels of CMANO and loved it, i shall be watching a lets play of a proper scenario this evening and hopefully having a go without my training wheels later on

.........and to go along with the new theme of the weekend thread my last ex pretended to be pregnant, after 5 months when id had enough of her and her friends emails telling me i was going to be a father i went round to her house to find funnily enough no bump, she said it had died, inside her, but they hadnt taken it out yet and would i like to have sex with her that night, faked a rape by another ex boyfriend to get me to call her, faked a mugging, and a car accident to get me to go round, rang social services and said i was abusing my daughter to which i had to sit in a police interview whilst people id never seen asked my daughter questions about what we did together, faked a suicide attempt, tried to have me committed......... theres more but that should be enough to make everyone wary of a woman scorned
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: bob48 on April 28, 2015, 07:00:43 AM
Bloody hell. You should write a book - it would be an international best seller and them made into a film with a TV mini series spin-off.

Makes my weekend of looking for a missing sock a bit tame.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Sir Slash on April 28, 2015, 07:19:43 AM
UCG Takes first place. Loves hurts. And sometimes hurts you.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: panzerde on April 28, 2015, 08:41:45 AM
Quote from: bob48 on April 28, 2015, 07:00:43 AM
Bloody hell. You should write a book - it would be an international best seller and them made into a film with a TV mini series spin-off.

Makes my weekend of looking for a missing sock a bit tame.


Well yes, but it was a right bastard of a sock, wasn't it?
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: bob48 on April 28, 2015, 08:48:05 AM
Yeah, vicious and feral so it was.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Boggit on April 28, 2015, 09:01:09 AM
Bloody hell, UCG - you're having fun! :o

I hope you reported her for harassment, and it probably wouldn't hurt getting a non-molestation order against her, so that she doesn't come near you without getting arrested. It looks like you also have all the ingredients for a defamation action too, in that she has intentionally tried to damage your good reputation by her lies. You don't have to go through with it, but a warning letter from your Solicitor might be enough to make her think twice in future.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Gusington on April 28, 2015, 09:11:22 AM
UCG wins everything today.
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: undercovergeek on April 28, 2015, 09:13:04 AM
lol

there were 'men in a van' who had a quiet word with her whilst i was asked to go report something/anything in a police station so it couldnt possibly have had anything to do with me because i was talking to a lovely desk sergeant
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Cyrano on April 28, 2015, 10:51:27 AM
Mind you, sock bites can be pretty nasty...

Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: panzerde on April 28, 2015, 10:56:30 AM
My sister was ønce bitten by a søck...
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 28, 2015, 12:23:34 PM
Quote from: panzerde on April 28, 2015, 10:56:30 AM
My sister was ønce bitten by a søck...

Well played, sir!
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: bob48 on April 28, 2015, 01:14:24 PM
This is like a Monty Python sketch.............
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Sir Slash on April 28, 2015, 01:37:00 PM
The dangerous thing about socks is they travel in pairs. :-X
Title: Re: It's Friday my Groggy Gamers
Post by: Dimitris on April 29, 2015, 04:11:36 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 28, 2015, 06:25:57 AM
.........and to go along with the new theme of the weekend thread my last ex pretended to be pregnant, after 5 months when id had enough of her and her friends emails telling me i was going to be a father i went round to her house to find funnily enough no bump, she said it had died, inside her, but they hadnt taken it out yet and would i like to have sex with her that night, faked a rape by another ex boyfriend to get me to call her, faked a mugging, and a car accident to get me to go round, rang social services and said i was abusing my daughter to which i had to sit in a police interview whilst people id never seen asked my daughter questions about what we did together, faked a suicide attempt, tried to have me committed......... theres more but that should be enough to make everyone wary of a woman scorned

I think that takes the cake, no contest.