It's Friday my Groggy Gamers

Started by JudgeDredd, April 24, 2015, 12:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Father Ted on April 25, 2015, 05:02:38 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 25, 2015, 02:41:52 AM
Having said that - I actually think I was a eclectic mix. But that was the great thing about the 80's - you could do and be whomever the hell you wanted to be and mixing it up was absolutely fine

Do you think that's objectively true or that everybody thinks that about "their" time?  For the record (scuse the pun) I was at 'Atfield Poly '84-'87, so that was definitely "my" time, but what I really remember is actively disliking the music of the time (what I liked, and like today, mostly happened 10-15 years earlier). I do revisit it via Youtube'n'beer for nostalgia purposes, but most of the stuff the characterises the period is not for me.

Anyhoo...Tonight (Sat) I shall be lending my questionable flying skills to the Entente side in RoF's "Bloody April V" campaign.  It's a really fun event in which RoF's MP community wargame a set of scenarios.  Other than that I intend to get some more time in SoW and CO2  -  though the genre-crossing may give me a bit of vertigo...
I think everybody likely thinks that about their time. It is just my opinion - but clearly linked to the era and even the place and environment I grew up in.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

bob48

Its a spell that can be cast by a rogue that lowers everyone's empire happiness by -400. It does not trigger disjunction, and even if the caster is allied to you, it still effects you. The only way to stop it is to kill the caster, if you can identify who it is.

Once its in effect, your empire starts to fall apart - troops desert and income drops dramatically. There are loads of complaints about it on the AoW forums, and people generally just terminate the game when this is cast, even if the game is 100+ turns old. So far, I've had this happen in at least 3 games and its very frustrating indeed, especially if the caster is allied to you.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

nasty - have they committed to getting it sorted?

bob48

As far as I can see, there has been nothing from the devs to answer this, despite the number of comments about it on the forum. I'm surprised that no one else here who plays the game has come across it.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

So far its been CMBS with Jomni and Con, both subject to cunning plans by me  :o

Going out now with Junior but on return there will be a committed forray into the CMANO tutorials and some CMBS map designing now my broken bridge has fitted properly

Huw the Poo

Quote from: bob48 on April 25, 2015, 05:50:09 AM
Its a spell that can be cast by a rogue that lowers everyone's empire happiness by -400. It does not trigger disjunction, and even if the caster is allied to you, it still effects you. The only way to stop it is to kill the caster, if you can identify who it is.

Once its in effect, your empire starts to fall apart - troops desert and income drops dramatically. There are loads of complaints about it on the AoW forums, and people generally just terminate the game when this is cast, even if the game is 100+ turns old. So far, I've had this happen in at least 3 games and its very frustrating indeed, especially if the caster is allied to you.

Sounds like it's an oversight that it can't be countered by disjunction, because that's precisely what disjunction is for.  I reckon the devs will fix it soon.  But still, quitting a 100+ turn game due to this spell seems hasty.  Admittedly I haven't put much time into a game but unless I'm misremembering I would regularly have empire happiness of at least that.  Terraforming all of your city's lands to preferred terrain is a huge boost in this regard.

bob48

Yeah, I did all the things that give positive benefits, but its still not enough to counter the negative effects. Even so, its pretty daft to have a spell that cannot be countered by disjunction.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Quote from: spelk on April 25, 2015, 02:24:24 AM
Quote from: Toonces on April 25, 2015, 01:11:51 AM
What in the heck is a winkle picker?

A type of boot/shoe with a very pointy end:




Back then we used to call those 'Fence Climbers' (as in 'chain-link fence'). They were popular for a little while in the late 70's and early 80's in the US and associated with the early New-Wave look. They were also popular with the late 70's urban Latino community.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

My current AoW 3 game  is around turn 70 or so.  And I started a bunch of games and restarted just because I was trying to learn the difference between the various leader and faction types.  I'd have to believe they will address that spell, because it certainly doesn't seem to be working right based on your description.

bob48

What makes it really annoying is the fact that the caster may be a faction that you have not 'met' as yet, and maybe located on the opposite side of the map.

This has happened to me even with a game where I had nothing left to research and all my cities had every expansion built. The individual cities were all at 'happy' or better, and yet the spell, whilst in effect, drags your empire happiness down.

Maybe more experienced players will tell me where I'm going wrong if such be the case, although the comments I've read on the games forum does seem to indicate that this is a 'bug' for want of a better term, that has not been address in any patch or update.

Its certainly stopping me from buying the DLC for the game.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Bison

Also the 80s were nothing if they didn't produce the POWER BALLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Bison

I'll have to go reads some of the threads.  It certainly sounds like it's a bug.  Also make Mrs. Bob buy you the DLC so you don't have to have a guilty conscience.

Bison


Bison

And seriously no one has played a Clash video yet?  WTF is our problem here?


Father Ted

Is power ballet actually a thing?  Leotards with shoulder pads?