GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2015, 09:41:27 AM

Title: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2015, 09:41:27 AM
Anyone know if there is a scenario covering the joint French and Belgian airborne operation in the Kolwezi region of the Congo in 1978? I've seen many scenarios in that time frame covering the Rhodesian wars, but this particular battle seems like a perfect scenario to game and I'm surprised I didn't see one in the existing list of almost 300 scenarios.
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: Double Deuce on May 02, 2015, 01:40:23 PM
I don't remember seeing one but its been a long time.
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: Boggit on May 02, 2015, 02:56:00 PM
It's there Bro. :) O0

Operation Leopard - Kolwezi 5/78 No. 246

If you like that sort of battle, you might also like

The Haitian debacle I and II (US vs Haiti) scens 310/311;
Operation Claret 1965 (British vs Indonesian) No. 248;
Trial by Fire 2006 (UN vs Congolese Insurgents) No.176;
Paradrop 2005 Brit Paras vs Red (Mauretanians) No. 120;
Hornets Nest 10/2005 Aussies vs Filipino terror group No. 121;
Somali Pirate Hostages 2009 (French vs Pirate) No. 225; and
Operation Barras 2000 Brits vs West Side Boys (Sierra Leone) No.161

If you're like me and struggle to read the tiny S/Panthers script, change your text size to 150% and play. If you go to 125%, it screws up the screen, but 150% is just peachy, and you can actually read the script without ruining your eyesight!

If you like African conflicts, and have Squad Battles: Pacific, I thoroughly recommend getting the Africa at War Mod from Task Force Echo 4. A brilliant mod - actually a new game really, covering lots of African conflicts - including the bloody Biafran War in Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique, South Africa, Congo etc.
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2015, 10:16:57 PM
Quote from: Boggit on May 02, 2015, 02:56:00 PM
It's there Bro. :) O0

Operation Leopard - Kolwezi 5/78 No. 246

If you like that sort of battle, you might also like

The Haitian debacle I and II (US vs Haiti) scens 310/311;
Operation Claret 1965 (British vs Indonesian) No. 248;
Trial by Fire 2006 (UN vs Congolese Insurgents) No.176;
Paradrop 2005 Brit Paras vs Red (Mauretanians) No. 120;
Hornets Nest 10/2005 Aussies vs Filipino terror group No. 121;
Somali Pirate Hostages 2009 (French vs Pirate) No. 225; and
Operation Barras 2000 Brits vs West Side Boys (Sierra Leone) No.161

If you're like me and struggle to read the tiny S/Panthers script, change your text size to 150% and play. If you go to 125%, it screws up the screen, but 150% is just peachy, and you can actually read the script without ruining your eyesight!

If you like African conflicts, and have Squad Battles: Pacific, I thoroughly recommend getting the Africa at War Mod from Task Force Echo 4. A brilliant mod - actually a new game really, covering lots of African conflicts - including the bloody Biafran War in Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique, South Africa, Congo etc.

Thanks, Boggit! Not sure how I missed that. I'll have to go look again.

Also, great tip with the text. I'll definitely adjust that.

I'm very familiar with the squad battles Africa mod. Agreed it's like a totally separate game. A real classic mod.
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: Boggit on May 03, 2015, 10:19:39 AM
You're very welcome. O0

It took me a bit of looking - I was too lazy to change text size, and very nearly went blind looking at the tiny script :idiot2:, so it doesn't really surprise me that you couldn't spot it.

Sauron is training me to play WinSPWW2 by PBEM, but being very dense I haven't yet got the hang of it. I've selected units, placed them and then sent my two pbem files, but that doesn't quite work - it seems. When I've got the hang of it - hopefully it shouldn't be toooo long, let me know if you're up for a SP, or Africa at War game. 8)

**********Note********
Before I forget, don't forget to get the latest upgrade - yes, they did another - it adds a load of extra stuff, and it may have affected the scenario numbering ... http://www.shrapnelgames.com/
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: panzerde on May 03, 2015, 11:33:27 AM
WinSPMBT has to be right up there as one of my all time favorites. If anyone wants to give it a go PBEM, please send me a PM!

Equally so on the Tiller SB games, or any of the Tiller series for that matter. This is about the third time this week I've read about the War for Africa mod, so I'm leaning toward picking up SB: Pacific soon.

Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: Boggit on May 03, 2015, 12:53:29 PM
Quote from: panzerde on May 03, 2015, 11:33:27 AM
WinSPMBT has to be right up there as one of my all time favorites. If anyone wants to give it a go PBEM, please send me a PM!

Equally so on the Tiller SB games, or any of the Tiller series for that matter. This is about the third time this week I've read about the War for Africa mod, so I'm leaning toward picking up SB: Pacific soon.
An excellent mod, plus you get Pacific War as a bonus... ;)
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: bob48 on May 19, 2015, 01:47:53 PM
Maybe a daft question but; is there any way to run SPWaW in Win 7? I know that last time I tried (just after I first got Win 7) then there were gfx issues - something to do with 256 colours maybe - and the game would not run.
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: panzerde on May 19, 2015, 01:51:40 PM
Quote from: bob48 on May 19, 2015, 01:47:53 PM
Maybe a daft question but; is there any way to run SPWaW in Win 7? I know that last time I tried (just after I first got Win 7) then there were gfx issues - something to do with 256 colours maybe - and the game would not run.


AFAIK the paid-for versions work fine in Win7, at least they do for me. It's been awhile since I tried the free versions, and then I only tried WinSPMBT but it worked, just at 800X600.


I still occasionally have it come up with a weird color pallette, but as long as I'm running it in a window it's fine.
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: bob48 on May 19, 2015, 01:59:30 PM
Thanks, Doug.

I haven't tried it, but I still have the old download (v.6?) on CD, not that it would be any problem to download it again, and I see that there are a couple of new patches for it as well.
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: Pete Dero on May 19, 2015, 02:14:25 PM
Quote from: bob48 on May 19, 2015, 01:47:53 PM
Maybe a daft question but; is there any way to run SPWaW in Win 7? I know that last time I tried (just after I first got Win 7) then there were gfx issues - something to do with 256 colours maybe - and the game would not run.


Try this solution  :
http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23047
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2452605

It worked for me.
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: WallysWorld on May 19, 2015, 02:17:01 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on May 19, 2015, 02:14:25 PM
Quote from: bob48 on May 19, 2015, 01:47:53 PM
Maybe a daft question but; is there any way to run SPWaW in Win 7? I know that last time I tried (just after I first got Win 7) then there were gfx issues - something to do with 256 colours maybe - and the game would not run.
Try this solution  :
http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23047
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2452605
It worked for me.
Worked for me as well.
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: bob48 on May 19, 2015, 02:18:10 PM
Interesting. Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: panzerde on May 19, 2015, 03:17:03 PM
Quote from: bob48 on May 19, 2015, 01:59:30 PM
Thanks, Doug.

I haven't tried it, but I still have the old download (v.6?) on CD, not that it would be any problem to download it again, and I see that there are a couple of new patches for it as well.


The patches are worth it. They add some nice features.

Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: Grim.Reaper on May 19, 2015, 07:04:45 PM
With shrapnel games earth shattering $6 off sale of winspbmt, tempted again to pickup:). Some day I will actually pull the trigger.
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: panzerde on May 19, 2015, 07:15:26 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 19, 2015, 07:04:45 PM
With shrapnel games earth shattering $6 off sale of winspbmt, tempted again to pickup:). Some day I will actually pull the trigger.


It's a shame that these games languish in Shrapnel's hands, along with Pat Proctor's Prosim titles. Still, if you're tempted to get WinSPMBT it's definitely worth it. Like the Tiller Campaign Series games the graphics might not be the most modern but there's hundreds of scenarios covering dozens of real and hypothetical conflicts covered. If you want to play an Argentine-Chile border war, the armies and scenarios are there, for example. A lot of the scenarios can be played pretty quickly, too, so it's a great game for those "I'm not sure what to play and I don't want to get wrapped into something for hours" nights.



Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: Grim.Reaper on May 19, 2015, 07:23:01 PM
I can't argue that even at full price seems like good amount of content....just something stops me during the checkout process.
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: Tuna on May 19, 2015, 08:43:45 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 19, 2015, 07:04:45 PM
With shrapnel games earth shattering $6 off sale of winspbmt, tempted again to pickup:). Some day I will actually pull the trigger.

+1
Title: Re: For Steel Panthers Players
Post by: Airborne Rifles on May 19, 2015, 09:42:53 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 19, 2015, 07:23:01 PM
I can't argue that even at full price seems like good amount of content....just something stops me during the checkout process.

It's worth it.