For Steel Panthers Players

Started by Jarhead0331, May 02, 2015, 09:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Anyone know if there is a scenario covering the joint French and Belgian airborne operation in the Kolwezi region of the Congo in 1978? I've seen many scenarios in that time frame covering the Rhodesian wars, but this particular battle seems like a perfect scenario to game and I'm surprised I didn't see one in the existing list of almost 300 scenarios.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Double Deuce

I don't remember seeing one but its been a long time.

Boggit

#2
It's there Bro. :) O0

Operation Leopard - Kolwezi 5/78 No. 246

If you like that sort of battle, you might also like

The Haitian debacle I and II (US vs Haiti) scens 310/311;
Operation Claret 1965 (British vs Indonesian) No. 248;
Trial by Fire 2006 (UN vs Congolese Insurgents) No.176;
Paradrop 2005 Brit Paras vs Red (Mauretanians) No. 120;
Hornets Nest 10/2005 Aussies vs Filipino terror group No. 121;
Somali Pirate Hostages 2009 (French vs Pirate) No. 225; and
Operation Barras 2000 Brits vs West Side Boys (Sierra Leone) No.161

If you're like me and struggle to read the tiny S/Panthers script, change your text size to 150% and play. If you go to 125%, it screws up the screen, but 150% is just peachy, and you can actually read the script without ruining your eyesight!

If you like African conflicts, and have Squad Battles: Pacific, I thoroughly recommend getting the Africa at War Mod from Task Force Echo 4. A brilliant mod - actually a new game really, covering lots of African conflicts - including the bloody Biafran War in Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique, South Africa, Congo etc.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Boggit on May 02, 2015, 02:56:00 PM
It's there Bro. :) O0

Operation Leopard - Kolwezi 5/78 No. 246

If you like that sort of battle, you might also like

The Haitian debacle I and II (US vs Haiti) scens 310/311;
Operation Claret 1965 (British vs Indonesian) No. 248;
Trial by Fire 2006 (UN vs Congolese Insurgents) No.176;
Paradrop 2005 Brit Paras vs Red (Mauretanians) No. 120;
Hornets Nest 10/2005 Aussies vs Filipino terror group No. 121;
Somali Pirate Hostages 2009 (French vs Pirate) No. 225; and
Operation Barras 2000 Brits vs West Side Boys (Sierra Leone) No.161

If you're like me and struggle to read the tiny S/Panthers script, change your text size to 150% and play. If you go to 125%, it screws up the screen, but 150% is just peachy, and you can actually read the script without ruining your eyesight!

If you like African conflicts, and have Squad Battles: Pacific, I thoroughly recommend getting the Africa at War Mod from Task Force Echo 4. A brilliant mod - actually a new game really, covering lots of African conflicts - including the bloody Biafran War in Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique, South Africa, Congo etc.

Thanks, Boggit! Not sure how I missed that. I'll have to go look again.

Also, great tip with the text. I'll definitely adjust that.

I'm very familiar with the squad battles Africa mod. Agreed it's like a totally separate game. A real classic mod.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Boggit

You're very welcome. O0

It took me a bit of looking - I was too lazy to change text size, and very nearly went blind looking at the tiny script :idiot2:, so it doesn't really surprise me that you couldn't spot it.

Sauron is training me to play WinSPWW2 by PBEM, but being very dense I haven't yet got the hang of it. I've selected units, placed them and then sent my two pbem files, but that doesn't quite work - it seems. When I've got the hang of it - hopefully it shouldn't be toooo long, let me know if you're up for a SP, or Africa at War game. 8)

**********Note********
Before I forget, don't forget to get the latest upgrade - yes, they did another - it adds a load of extra stuff, and it may have affected the scenario numbering ... http://www.shrapnelgames.com/
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

panzerde

WinSPMBT has to be right up there as one of my all time favorites. If anyone wants to give it a go PBEM, please send me a PM!

Equally so on the Tiller SB games, or any of the Tiller series for that matter. This is about the third time this week I've read about the War for Africa mod, so I'm leaning toward picking up SB: Pacific soon.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Boggit

Quote from: panzerde on May 03, 2015, 11:33:27 AM
WinSPMBT has to be right up there as one of my all time favorites. If anyone wants to give it a go PBEM, please send me a PM!

Equally so on the Tiller SB games, or any of the Tiller series for that matter. This is about the third time this week I've read about the War for Africa mod, so I'm leaning toward picking up SB: Pacific soon.
An excellent mod, plus you get Pacific War as a bonus... ;)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bob48

Maybe a daft question but; is there any way to run SPWaW in Win 7? I know that last time I tried (just after I first got Win 7) then there were gfx issues - something to do with 256 colours maybe - and the game would not run.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

panzerde

Quote from: bob48 on May 19, 2015, 01:47:53 PM
Maybe a daft question but; is there any way to run SPWaW in Win 7? I know that last time I tried (just after I first got Win 7) then there were gfx issues - something to do with 256 colours maybe - and the game would not run.


AFAIK the paid-for versions work fine in Win7, at least they do for me. It's been awhile since I tried the free versions, and then I only tried WinSPMBT but it worked, just at 800X600.


I still occasionally have it come up with a weird color pallette, but as long as I'm running it in a window it's fine.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bob48

Thanks, Doug.

I haven't tried it, but I still have the old download (v.6?) on CD, not that it would be any problem to download it again, and I see that there are a couple of new patches for it as well.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Pete Dero

Quote from: bob48 on May 19, 2015, 01:47:53 PM
Maybe a daft question but; is there any way to run SPWaW in Win 7? I know that last time I tried (just after I first got Win 7) then there were gfx issues - something to do with 256 colours maybe - and the game would not run.


Try this solution  :
http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23047
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2452605

It worked for me.

WallysWorld

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 19, 2015, 02:14:25 PM
Quote from: bob48 on May 19, 2015, 01:47:53 PM
Maybe a daft question but; is there any way to run SPWaW in Win 7? I know that last time I tried (just after I first got Win 7) then there were gfx issues - something to do with 256 colours maybe - and the game would not run.
Try this solution  :
http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23047
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2452605
It worked for me.
Worked for me as well.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

bob48

Interesting. Thanks, I'll give that a try.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

panzerde

Quote from: bob48 on May 19, 2015, 01:59:30 PM
Thanks, Doug.

I haven't tried it, but I still have the old download (v.6?) on CD, not that it would be any problem to download it again, and I see that there are a couple of new patches for it as well.


The patches are worth it. They add some nice features.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Grim.Reaper

With shrapnel games earth shattering $6 off sale of winspbmt, tempted again to pickup:). Some day I will actually pull the trigger.