GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: undercovergeek on May 06, 2015, 06:58:50 PM

Title: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: undercovergeek on May 06, 2015, 06:58:50 PM
Ive never been joysticked up before - have one now due to Elite

recent PS3 sessions have me whirring around in a helicopter shooting Undercoverjunior in Disney Infinity and i was thinking 'man it would be cool to be playing a grown up version of this, cannons, missiles and all that good helicopter stuff'

dont know how serious i am so if theres hardcore i dont mind, and if theres Warthunder for helicopters im ok too
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 06, 2015, 07:12:50 PM

Hardcore
DCS: Blackshark2
DCS: UH-1H Huey
DCS: Mi-8 MTV2 Beautiful 8

Moderately hardcore
ArmA 3: Helicopters DLC
X-Plane


Not hardcore
Battlefield 3 or 4





Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: Staggerwing on May 06, 2015, 07:14:41 PM
Take on: Helicopters
Take on: Helicopters- Hind
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: mirth on May 06, 2015, 07:18:15 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 06, 2015, 06:58:50 PM
Ive never been joysticked up before

Yer killin' me dude :P
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 06, 2015, 07:20:46 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on May 06, 2015, 07:14:41 PM
Take on: Helicopters
Take on: Helicopters- Hind

The ArmA 3 Helicopters DLC uses the Take-On Helicopters engine with the added benefit of having things that go WHOOSH!  KA-BOOM!!!!! (I mean besides my helicopter when it hits a building.)
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 06, 2015, 07:28:09 PM
If you're not looking for DCS fidelity, Arma 3 is your best option. They've done an outstanding job with their rotary lineup. 
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: undercovergeek on May 06, 2015, 07:36:46 PM
thanks chaps - does the ARMA 3 DLC have a campaign?
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 06, 2015, 07:40:56 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 06, 2015, 07:36:46 PM
thanks chaps - does the ARMA 3 DLC have a campaign?

No, it adds a couple of helos with some training missions and makes the flight model more realistic.
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: undercovergeek on May 06, 2015, 07:48:46 PM
cool, found some chopper missions to download - i might be sold here
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 06, 2015, 08:04:03 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 06, 2015, 07:48:46 PM
cool, found some chopper missions to download - i might be sold here

There are some really good dynamic missions for choppers. You basically pick a helo and then get random dynamic missions. Pick-up troops at an LZ, conduct CSAR for a downed plane, MEDEVAC, CAS, etc.
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: mikeck on May 06, 2015, 08:22:17 PM
I'm loving ARMA 3. will have to try choppers. Spent 3 hours yesterday replaying a scenario where I got to blow up tanks with a future TOW
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: DoctorQuest on May 06, 2015, 08:32:30 PM
I am going to get snubbed by the grafix snobs but

Comanche vs. Hokum http://www.gog.com/game/comanche_vs_hokum

and

Apache vs. Havoc http://www.gog.com/game/apache_vs_havoc

are still two of my favorites. You will be better off with a merged install of both but for $12 bucks you can't beat the price.
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 06, 2015, 08:44:56 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on May 06, 2015, 08:32:30 PM
I am going to get snubbed by the grafix snobs but

Comanche vs. Hokum http://www.gog.com/game/comanche_vs_hokum

and

Apache vs. Havoc http://www.gog.com/game/apache_vs_havoc

are still two of my favorites. You will be better off with a merged install of both but for $12 bucks you can't beat the price.

A good suggestion...Its dynamic campaign is unrivaled. Just remember to get the v1.15 update.
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: DoctorQuest on May 06, 2015, 09:01:46 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 06, 2015, 08:44:56 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on May 06, 2015, 08:32:30 PM
I am going to get snubbed by the grafix snobs but

Comanche vs. Hokum http://www.gog.com/game/comanche_vs_hokum

and

Apache vs. Havoc http://www.gog.com/game/apache_vs_havoc

are still two of my favorites. You will be better off with a merged install of both but for $12 bucks you can't beat the price.

A good suggestion...Its dynamic campaign is unrivaled. Just remember to get the v1.15 update.

Agreed. A helpful link. http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3185855/EECH_Downloads.html#Post3185855
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: Toonces on May 06, 2015, 10:21:22 PM
I've had trouble getting EECH to work on Win 7; I get some graphics anomalies. 

However, I will concur with the suggestion to give ARMA 3 helos a try.  They are a ton of fun to fly around in.
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: Nefaro on May 07, 2015, 12:13:27 AM
DoctorQuest's link to the EECH MegaMod is a must if you're going to try it.

A huge amount of stuff was modded & updated, especially since the source files went public long ago.  But the core game still shows it's age, namely regarding the 3D ground geometry.  You'll notice some very sharply angled spots in hilly terrain that can be rather jolting these days. 

The mod has many flyable helos, along with many different dynamic campaign settings to choose from.  The dynamic campaigns may have some drawbacks, but hey... at least it has dynamic campaigns.

If you can look past it's obvious age issues, there is a lot of classic helo sim content to be had at a nice sweet spot between moderate casual sim and DCS full-featured cockpit button pushing.  I really wish someone would create a modern equivalent with a similar wealth of content. 

I've actually enjoyed Black Shark 1&2 from DCS but, per usual, the limited world content made it feel more like an extended demo for an incomplete setting.  Still, if you want more eye candy and cockpit detail, you can get BS2 quite cheap on one of the regular DCS sales.
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: jejo68 on May 07, 2015, 03:55:35 AM
Quote from: Toonces on May 06, 2015, 10:21:22 PM
I've had trouble getting EECH to work on Win 7; I get some graphics anomalies. 

However, I will concur with the suggestion to give ARMA 3 helos a try.  They are a ton of fun to fly around in.

Also if you play on any of the bigger multiplayer maps you get the added pleasure of risking being shot Down by actual players  :)

I love running around in King of the hills games and shoot Down choppers. Especially when they are full of people being transported to the frontline. Best shot I got 17 kills in one go  O0
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: JasonPratt on May 07, 2015, 08:41:38 AM
Since you mentioned a PS3 originally, U'geek, there's a surprisingly decent Apache / Hind sim for consoles (and a PC port) called Apache: Air Assault. I own it for PS3. It can be played co-op, too.
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: JasonPratt on May 07, 2015, 08:59:45 AM
Though due to being constantly distracted by other shiny things, I have to admit I haven't played more than a few tutorials (and those were at least three years ago...?)

But I listen to its soundtrack on a pretty regular basis, which incidentally combines very well with the musical scores to the National Treasure movies.  O0
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: Toonces on May 07, 2015, 12:17:55 PM
Quote from: jejo68 on May 07, 2015, 03:55:35 AM
Quote from: Toonces on May 06, 2015, 10:21:22 PM
I've had trouble getting EECH to work on Win 7; I get some graphics anomalies. 

However, I will concur with the suggestion to give ARMA 3 helos a try.  They are a ton of fun to fly around in.

Also if you play on any of the bigger multiplayer maps you get the added pleasure of risking being shot Down by actual players  :)

I love running around in King of the hills games and shoot Down choppers. Especially when they are full of people being transported to the frontline. Best shot I got 17 kills in one go  O0

That was you?    :knuppel2:

I really like EECH but I have just had a bear of a time getting it to run properly.  I get this white flickering that is really game-stopping.  It's not an uncommon bug but it doesn't happen to everyone.  However, when it works, it's a really nice game, but hard to play at this point.  The lack of a clicky cockpit means you're back to mapping your HOTAS and using keyboard commands.  For something like the Apache that is a real bitch. 

Mostly I installed EECH to play the Hind mod, which is fantastic.  But, again, figuring out how to make everything in the cockpit work with the keyboard really requires a significant time commitment.  It's not a lite sim.

EECH isn't expensive, so if you're willing to put some time in to get it patched, modded, and then learn it, it is worth the money for sure.
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: jejo68 on May 07, 2015, 12:20:13 PM
hehe
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on May 08, 2015, 07:33:04 PM
Quote from: Toonces on May 06, 2015, 10:21:22 PM
I've had trouble getting EECH to work on Win 7; I get some graphics anomalies. 

However, I will concur with the suggestion to give ARMA 3 helos a try.  They are a ton of fun to fly around in.

I love the concept behind EECH; big war going on, with support missions all over. I had some issues getting it to work on Win7, and couldnt get my joystick to work (well) either. Had to de-install it.

Not a fan of the Take on Helicopters flight model. ArmA 3, on the other hand, is much more fun/easier to use. Find some random missions by RobJ and you'll have a good time.
Title: Re: What are my options for a Helicopter sim
Post by: DoctorQuest on May 09, 2015, 07:04:06 PM
I guess I'm just lucky. I've never had any issues running EECH on Win 7. EEAH is another matter but I just do a merged install and I can enjoy both.