What are my options for a Helicopter sim

Started by undercovergeek, May 06, 2015, 06:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

undercovergeek

Ive never been joysticked up before - have one now due to Elite

recent PS3 sessions have me whirring around in a helicopter shooting Undercoverjunior in Disney Infinity and i was thinking 'man it would be cool to be playing a grown up version of this, cannons, missiles and all that good helicopter stuff'

dont know how serious i am so if theres hardcore i dont mind, and if theres Warthunder for helicopters im ok too

Silent Disapproval Robot


Hardcore
DCS: Blackshark2
DCS: UH-1H Huey
DCS: Mi-8 MTV2 Beautiful 8

Moderately hardcore
ArmA 3: Helicopters DLC
X-Plane


Not hardcore
Battlefield 3 or 4






Staggerwing

Take on: Helicopters
Take on: Helicopters- Hind
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 06, 2015, 07:14:41 PM
Take on: Helicopters
Take on: Helicopters- Hind

The ArmA 3 Helicopters DLC uses the Take-On Helicopters engine with the added benefit of having things that go WHOOSH!  KA-BOOM!!!!! (I mean besides my helicopter when it hits a building.)

Jarhead0331

If you're not looking for DCS fidelity, Arma 3 is your best option. They've done an outstanding job with their rotary lineup. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


undercovergeek

thanks chaps - does the ARMA 3 DLC have a campaign?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 06, 2015, 07:36:46 PM
thanks chaps - does the ARMA 3 DLC have a campaign?

No, it adds a couple of helos with some training missions and makes the flight model more realistic.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


undercovergeek

cool, found some chopper missions to download - i might be sold here

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 06, 2015, 07:48:46 PM
cool, found some chopper missions to download - i might be sold here

There are some really good dynamic missions for choppers. You basically pick a helo and then get random dynamic missions. Pick-up troops at an LZ, conduct CSAR for a downed plane, MEDEVAC, CAS, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mikeck

I'm loving ARMA 3. will have to try choppers. Spent 3 hours yesterday replaying a scenario where I got to blow up tanks with a future TOW
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

DoctorQuest

I am going to get snubbed by the grafix snobs but

Comanche vs. Hokum http://www.gog.com/game/comanche_vs_hokum

and

Apache vs. Havoc http://www.gog.com/game/apache_vs_havoc

are still two of my favorites. You will be better off with a merged install of both but for $12 bucks you can't beat the price.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DoctorQuest on May 06, 2015, 08:32:30 PM
I am going to get snubbed by the grafix snobs but

Comanche vs. Hokum http://www.gog.com/game/comanche_vs_hokum

and

Apache vs. Havoc http://www.gog.com/game/apache_vs_havoc

are still two of my favorites. You will be better off with a merged install of both but for $12 bucks you can't beat the price.

A good suggestion...Its dynamic campaign is unrivaled. Just remember to get the v1.15 update.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


DoctorQuest

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 06, 2015, 08:44:56 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on May 06, 2015, 08:32:30 PM
I am going to get snubbed by the grafix snobs but

Comanche vs. Hokum http://www.gog.com/game/comanche_vs_hokum

and

Apache vs. Havoc http://www.gog.com/game/apache_vs_havoc

are still two of my favorites. You will be better off with a merged install of both but for $12 bucks you can't beat the price.

A good suggestion...Its dynamic campaign is unrivaled. Just remember to get the v1.15 update.

Agreed. A helpful link. http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3185855/EECH_Downloads.html#Post3185855
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Toonces

I've had trouble getting EECH to work on Win 7; I get some graphics anomalies. 

However, I will concur with the suggestion to give ARMA 3 helos a try.  They are a ton of fun to fly around in.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs