GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: steve58 on May 29, 2015, 01:44:29 PM

Title: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: steve58 on May 29, 2015, 01:44:29 PM
Saw this mentioned over at Matrixgames.   Could be interesting...   Its still in Alpha and release date is TBD.



Quote
In Zulu Response play either as a British soldier or Zulu warrior in first person in a tactical game for singleplayer or 8 person Mulitplayer.

The game is based off true stories from the African Zulu wars of 1879 where each player has a number of intelligent AI and reserves they command.

As Zulu, having defeated the British at Isandlwana can you find the British and Lt. Melville and stop him from escaping with the Regimental Colour (flag)?

At Rorkes Drift can the surrounded British hold off the attacking Zulu ?

With gameplay and maps based off true stories from the war, the various player classes have differing skills and abilities and with our configurable game options, adjust realism settings including those for weapons, movement and tiredness during battle.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/zulu-response
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- A Indie FPS
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on May 29, 2015, 03:47:14 PM
I'll buy anything based on the Anglo-Zulu wars, simply because they are so few and far between. I hope this one turns out to be a good one!

Does anyone know who this developer is, and his/her history, or previous games?
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: spelk on May 29, 2015, 04:23:35 PM
OMG

*faints*

I'm SO there. My DREAM game!
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: SirAndrewD on May 29, 2015, 05:21:12 PM
Yep, I'm down. 
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: BanzaiCat on May 29, 2015, 05:25:08 PM
Pretty cool, but hopefully it gets a little more exciting than that. Mostly it was a bunch of Zulus hanging around at the wall and a few Brits standing around holding their rifles. A little action but kinda 'meh'. I wonder if they were mostly bots or all humans?
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Gusington on May 29, 2015, 09:09:31 PM
Take my money!!
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: jomni on May 29, 2015, 10:16:53 PM
Perfect platform for a Custer's Last Stand mod
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: spelk on May 30, 2015, 06:32:41 AM
Jomni, have you played Darkest of Days, that has a bit of Custers Last Stand at the beginning of the game.. then it all gets a bit sci-fi ACW and WWI after that. :)
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- A Indie FPS
Post by: Greybriar on May 30, 2015, 11:15:44 AM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on May 29, 2015, 03:47:14 PM
I'll buy anything based on the Anglo-Zulu wars, simply because they are so few and far between....

Are you familiar with ZuluWar! (http://digitalgameworks.com/zuluwar.html)? It's an old game by Jeff Lapkoff who also designed and developed The Drift 1879 (http://digitalgameworks.com/the_drift.html), The Alamo!, Custer's Last Command, and several other PC games.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: amandachen on May 30, 2015, 05:39:18 PM
As long as it's nothing like Custer's Revenge.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Gusington on May 31, 2015, 10:10:36 AM
Hawt.  :D

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2Fv0RdU1A7jiQ%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&hash=aa953ffffe66d10b9aa2da11de25f928398bec02)
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: amandachen on May 31, 2015, 12:18:46 PM
Damn it. Gus needs to carry a trigger warning.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Gusington on May 31, 2015, 04:56:20 PM
I already do. Everyone ignores it.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: SirAndrewD on May 31, 2015, 05:36:27 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 31, 2015, 04:56:20 PM
I already do. Everyone ignores it.

True conversation in the SirD household...

Wife walks past with the screenshot from Custer's Revenge pulled up

Wife:  Wtf is that on your computer screen?
Me: Get me my federal officers jacket out of closet, meet me in the bedroom and I'll show you.

Of course this conversation only works because I'm a reenactor and actually have a union officers jacket in a closet.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Gusington on May 31, 2015, 06:32:11 PM
^You're welcome :)
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: SirAndrewD on May 31, 2015, 10:10:41 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 31, 2015, 06:32:11 PM
^You're welcome :)

I didn't say I got lucky Gus.  I've been married for quite some time, it take more than a screenshot to pull that off for me. 

Sadly, I had to spend 15 minutes explaining exactly WHAT Custer's Revenge was, and then getting a Rom for Stella off Atari Age, and then doing a live demonstration of said game. 

Good thing you didn't bring up Beat 'Em and Eat 'Em.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Gusington on June 01, 2015, 07:28:46 AM
You're welcome anyway. For the record I didn't bring it up, I only illustrated.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- A Indie FPS
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on June 01, 2015, 09:03:07 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on May 30, 2015, 11:15:44 AM

Are you familiar with ZuluWar! (http://digitalgameworks.com/zuluwar.html)? It's an old game by Jeff Lapkoff who also designed and developed The Drift 1879 (http://digitalgameworks.com/the_drift.html), The Alamo!, Custer's Last Command, and several other PC games.

Yeah, I've already purchased The Drift, but I haven't picked up Zulu Wars yet. I should probably do that!
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- A Indie FPS
Post by: Greybriar on June 02, 2015, 01:26:15 AM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on June 01, 2015, 09:03:07 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on May 30, 2015, 11:15:44 AM

Are you familiar with ZuluWar! (http://digitalgameworks.com/zuluwar.html)? It's an old game by Jeff Lapkoff who also designed and developed The Drift 1879 (http://digitalgameworks.com/the_drift.html), The Alamo!, Custer's Last Command, and several other PC games.

Yeah, I've already purchased The Drift, but I haven't picked up Zulu Wars yet. I should probably do that!

ZuluWar! was a decent game in its day, but I haven't played it in close to 20 years. I don't know what the current version is like.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: spelk on March 31, 2016, 01:37:35 AM
necroposting... but..

(https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/t31.0-8/12377786_1003151369752261_1095622104209575522_o.jpg)

SPOOOGE!

and

(https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/12823397_986696858064379_5245986982663374471_o.jpg)

SPOOOOOOOGE!

https://www.facebook.com/Zulu-Response-756724107728323/

Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Hofstadter on March 31, 2016, 05:38:34 AM
Those grunts make me mildly uncomfortable
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: magnus on March 31, 2016, 11:34:04 AM
Sometimes I just watch the credits rolling in "Zulu Dawn" to hear the singing.

Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: JasonPratt on March 31, 2016, 11:57:19 AM
That looks more than reasonably swell!
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Xenophon on March 31, 2016, 01:29:06 PM
I didn't realize how much I needed a Zulu Wars FPS in my life - until I arrived in this thread and discovered that such a game actually exists! Now I wonder how long it'll take until there's an inevitable zombie modification for it.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Toonces on March 31, 2016, 04:44:38 PM
^ Well played, sir.   O0
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Freyland on March 31, 2016, 09:03:12 PM
Quote from: Xenophon on March 31, 2016, 01:29:06 PM
I didn't realize how much I needed a Zulu Wars FPS in my life - until I arrived in this thread and discovered that such a game actually exists! Now I wonder how long it'll take until there's an inevitable zombie modification for it.
Don't be too hasty to judge there, Mister.... What if the mod was the Zulu fighting zombies?
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: AchillesLastStand on April 01, 2016, 03:11:31 AM
Gonville Bromhead approves of this video game............
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: JasonPratt on April 01, 2016, 12:29:25 PM
Quote from: Freyland on March 31, 2016, 09:03:12 PM
Quote from: Xenophon on March 31, 2016, 01:29:06 PM
I didn't realize how much I needed a Zulu Wars FPS in my life - until I arrived in this thread and discovered that such a game actually exists! Now I wonder how long it'll take until there's an inevitable zombie modification for it.
Don't be too hasty to judge there, Mister.... What if the mod was the Zulu fighting zombies?

Or both the Zulu and the British teaming up to fight zombies, each relying on the strengths of the other?

Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Xenophon on April 01, 2016, 03:56:04 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on April 01, 2016, 12:29:25 PM
Or both the Zulu and the British teaming up to fight zombies, each relying on the strengths of the other?

^ That could actually make for an interesting summertime blockbuster action-thriller!
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: spelk on October 04, 2016, 06:28:20 PM
(necroposting)

Oh. My. Giddy. Aunt.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/401250

SPOOGE! :)

Never have I wanted a single game SO MUCH.

Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 04, 2016, 06:39:19 PM
^Seriously? I get its an interesting and rarely gamed period of history, but this particular game looks like total crap. Really rough around the edges.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Grim.Reaper on October 04, 2016, 06:42:52 PM
Yep, this one wont make my current binge of buying games....but will be interested to see the feedback, maybe a future sale item...
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Hofstadter on October 04, 2016, 07:49:11 PM
Oh my god this is one of the shoddiest pieces of crap I have ever seen. Why would you even release that.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Staggerwing on October 04, 2016, 08:24:54 PM
It looks kinda like a Monty Python skit.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: spelk on October 05, 2016, 02:25:36 AM
If you've studied the Anglo-Zulu war as much as I have, and you have a real emotional investment in the era - then anything is better than nothing.

This period gets very little game time, and over the years I've eeked out as much as there is out there...
Gaming the Anglo-Zulu War is tricky because its a period that isn't covered that much by computer wargame developers.
Naturally I've played almost all of what is out there...

Jeff Lapkoff's Zulu War
http://sugarfreegamer.com/an-old-age-of-rifles/

Age of Rifles: Isandlwana scenario
http://sugarfreegamer.com/age-of-rifles-last-stand-at-the-little-sphinx-turn-1-2/

White Dog Games' Day of the Spears II
http://sugarfreegamer.com/zulu-dawn-the-battle-of-isandlwana/

Victory Point Games Zulus on the Ramparts (a solitaire boardgame made into a mobile game android/ios)
http://sugarfreegamer.com/zulus-on-the-ramparts-aar-part-1/

Jeff Lapkoff's amazing The Drift 1879
http://sugarfreegamer.com/the-drift-1879-aar-part-1/

and even tried to craft an Advanced Tactics mod called "Invasion of Zululand"
http://sugarfreegamer.com/oiling-the-martini-henry/

So as you can see, I'm a little obsessed with the era :)

This is the first, first person shooter that I have found depicting Rorke's Drift. So naturally I've overjoyed 1) it's actually coming out! 2) its on Steam and 3) it will get more attention from the gaming public because of the notorious DRM distribution mechanism!

Honestly I would take any level of indie homebrew roughness to experience something of this era and conflict.

It's not for everyone. But as far as I'm concerned, it's for me :)
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Freyland on October 05, 2016, 10:47:33 AM
Quote from: spelk on October 05, 2016, 02:25:36 AM
If you've studied the Anglo-Zulu war as much as I have, and you have a real emotional investment in the era - then anything is better than nothing.

This period gets very little game time, and over the years I've eeked out as much as there is out there...
Gaming the Anglo-Zulu War is tricky because its a period that isn't covered that much by computer wargame developers.
Naturally I've played almost all of what is out there...

Jeff Lapkoff's Zulu War
http://sugarfreegamer.com/an-old-age-of-rifles/

Age of Rifles: Isandlwana scenario
http://sugarfreegamer.com/age-of-rifles-last-stand-at-the-little-sphinx-turn-1-2/

White Dog Games' Day of the Spears II
http://sugarfreegamer.com/zulu-dawn-the-battle-of-isandlwana/

Victory Point Games Zulus on the Ramparts (a solitaire boardgame made into a mobile game android/ios)
http://sugarfreegamer.com/zulus-on-the-ramparts-aar-part-1/

Jeff Lapkoff's amazing The Drift 1879
http://sugarfreegamer.com/the-drift-1879-aar-part-1/

and even tried to craft an Advanced Tactics mod called "Invasion of Zululand"
http://sugarfreegamer.com/oiling-the-martini-henry/

So as you can see, I'm a little obsessed with the era :)

This is the first, first person shooter that I have found depicting Rorke's Drift. So naturally I've overjoyed 1) it's actually coming out! 2) its on Steam and 3) it will get more attention from the gaming public because of the notorious DRM distribution mechanism!

Honestly I would take any level of indie homebrew roughness to experience something of this era and conflict.

It's not for everyone. But as far as I'm concerned, it's for me :)

Hmphh... typical Zulu response.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 05, 2016, 10:56:02 AM
I love the period too...I just think this game looks like crap.

Anyway, hope I'm totally wrong and its awesome!
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: JasonPratt on October 05, 2016, 11:13:32 AM
Okay, we can all see the problems I guess. But:

1.) the scenery looks right (within the engine limitations). At least heavily inspired by the two movies.

2.) the Zulus also use a few rifles -- a nice touch that could have been overlooked or intentionally ignored.

3.) the Zulus morale-up, during Zulu player gameplay, with that hooting cheer and a dance. Maybe not sensible exactly where they were in the trailer when they were doing it, but I got a chill.

4.) I can't recall offhand what the knobbed club is called (my brain keeps saying "kebble" although I know that's definitely wrong and not even very close), but I was impressed to see it as a melee option.

5.) A game where the campaign involves the Zulu and the British in an undead nightmare plot, would rule all. Apply to this video, ironically or not, as applicable.  ::)
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Zulu1966 on October 05, 2016, 11:45:55 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on October 05, 2016, 11:13:32 AM
Okay, we can all see the problems I guess. But:

1.) the scenery looks right (within the engine limitations). At least heavily inspired by the two movies.

2.) the Zulus also use a few rifles -- a nice touch that could have been overlooked or intentionally ignored.

3.) the Zulus morale-up, during Zulu player gameplay, with that hooting cheer and a dance. Maybe not sensible exactly where they were in the trailer when they were doing it, but I got a chill.

4.) I can't recall offhand what the knobbed club is called (my brain keeps saying "kebble" although I know that's definitely wrong and not even very close), but I was impressed to see it as a melee option.

5.) A game where the campaign involves the Zulu and the British in an undead nightmare plot, would rule all. Apply to this video, ironically or not, as applicable.  ::)

Knoberrie I believe - though I am sure that's used as a verb in some places...
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 05, 2016, 01:36:38 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 04, 2016, 08:24:54 PM
It looks kinda like a Monty Python skit.

Nah, a Zulu Monty Python skit looks better.

Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: spelk on October 05, 2016, 02:57:59 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on October 05, 2016, 11:45:55 AM
Knoberrie I believe - though I am sure that's used as a verb in some places...

Knobkerrie/Knobkierie

http://www.1879zuluwar.com/t6733-1879-handcarved-knobkerrie-private-w-lott-90th-light-infantry?highlight=knobkerrie
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: JasonPratt on October 11, 2016, 04:47:26 PM
I'm pretty sure it was "kerrie" I was thinking of. I did recall "knob" being associated with it, but I thought that was just a description of the mace end of the stick. (Technically that's probably true anyway; the word looks partially Boer. Rather like "aasvogel", part Dutch part Zulu.)
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Grim.Reaper on October 12, 2016, 05:50:22 PM
So released today...did anybody actually pick up, looks like $15.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Hofstadter on October 12, 2016, 06:45:30 PM
I might pick this up just to record myself crying and then refund it
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 12, 2016, 06:47:49 PM
Asid has been playing for like 5 hours straight. He said it needs work, but he seems to like it.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: jomni on October 12, 2016, 06:50:51 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on October 12, 2016, 06:45:30 PM
I might pick this up just to record myself crying and then refund it

What if you liked it?
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Hofstadter on October 12, 2016, 08:04:45 PM


1:28

This is going to kill me
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on October 12, 2016, 08:08:42 PM
I picked this game up today. It does need work, a lot of work. But, it has potential.

The bad:

- The graphics are poor for a modern FPS. Highest resolution is 1920x1200. My monitor's native resolution is 2560x1440, so things don't look as crisp.
- No option for anti-aliasing.
- The "U" key does not bring up the in-game menu as it should. This makes giving orders more difficult. Nonetheless, when I tried issuing orders to my troops, I kept getting a message that they weren't ready.
- The AI for my troops was poor, mostly because I could not give orders(see above).
- I couldn't tell direction, so I had no idea which was the north wall, which was the south wall. Not a big deal. I may have missed in in the keystroke menu.

The good:

- The price is right. It's still early access, so there's time to make lots of changes and fixes.
- You can shoot and stab Zulus or British soldiers.
- The Kraal, when set on fire by the Zulus, burns nicely.

To be honest, there's not much game play yet, but I did enjoy the sense of being in the constricted Drift. I would recommend this only to fans of the  Anglo-Zulu Wars. For anyone else, it's going to probably not be worth the money. I hope that the developer can make the much needed improvements with the cash injection. It's got a ways to go before it'll be worth a regular play.

Once the command of your AI soldiers if fixed, I imagine my regard for the game with increase greatly.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 13, 2016, 06:08:26 PM
Can you remap the keys?
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on October 13, 2016, 06:38:43 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 13, 2016, 06:08:26 PM
Can you remap the keys?

Yes, and there are a nice set of options that can be changed.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: jomni on October 13, 2016, 06:44:12 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on October 12, 2016, 08:04:45 PM


1:28

This is going to kill me

There seems to be a lot of strategy involved.  Or is it just superficial?
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on October 13, 2016, 09:59:38 PM
Quote from: jomni on October 13, 2016, 06:44:12 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on October 12, 2016, 08:04:45 PM


1:28

This is going to kill me

There seems to be a lot of strategy involved.  Or is it just superficial?

Well, since I can't control the AI due to the bug mentioned above, it becomes you running around and protecting this sector, then that sector. Without control of the AI, it's a game breaker. That being said, I've been playing it for about an hour each day so far.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: spelk on October 14, 2016, 02:11:36 AM
I had some issues with the game, the command keys 'U' would only work sometimes, also selecting some of your men and not others, would yield only one of the six responding to your commands to move.

You place a location flag by pressing 'F', which brings up a floating hand cursor in addition to your normal cursor, which you then point to an area, and then have to press the middle mouse button to set the location! Then you have use "T" for move direct, or go to the 'U' command list, and mouse press the command (if the 'U' key works). This seems like a convoluted and key heavy mess just to set a marker and order your men to move there. How about just point your weapon at the location, press 'T' and the men move?

I really appreciate the games idea to command a squad of men, and to give you fine tactical control over them, but having such a complex and clumsy way to perform these tactical options really reduces the fluidity of it all.

It's early access, and hopefully it will get better in that regard.

I also had issues when boosting the resolution up to full, with flashing bands across the screen - was ok at lower resolutions - but perhaps I need to update my graphics drivers or something.

Despite it's clunkiness and graphics behind the current gen of FPS games, I enjoyed the spectacle of being able to move about Rorke's Drift and to fire a shot or two off at the oncoming Zulu hordes..

P.S. don't run about with that bayonet pointing forwards, because you can stick your men with a clumsy run! :)

The historical integration is welcome, being able to command as Chard, or Bromhead, of even Colour Seargent Frank Bourne made me appreciate the efforts being put into this title.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Hofstadter on October 14, 2016, 08:43:45 PM
Alright, no videos on youtube. I bought it. Gotta get some juicy views.

If this kills me I'm specifically referencing you guys in my suicide note
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on October 14, 2016, 08:57:54 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on October 14, 2016, 08:43:45 PM
Alright, no videos on youtube. I bought it. Gotta get some juicy views.

If this kills me I'm specifically referencing you guys in my suicide note

Well, currently it's underwhelming, but it does have potential.
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Hofstadter on October 14, 2016, 09:45:21 PM
Unplayable for me, extreme graphic glitching. Getting a refund
Title: Re: Zulu Response -- An Indie FPS
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on February 11, 2017, 05:43:53 PM
I haven't played much since October, so I decided to update the game. There have been two(or was it three?) patches since October, and the game has improved slightly.

Pressing "U" now brings up the menu key as it should. Ordering your men around by setting a "location flag", similar to the "Scourge of War" games, selecting which men you want to go to that location, and then actually ordering them there, is still a bit clunky. The path finding by the men is iffy, with one of my men not being able to move to the flag because his path was blocked by a few crates of ammo. He couldn't find a way around them, apparently. You still have to be VERY careful with where you're pointing your bayonet at(sorry boys that I killed).

I took a look at the credits today and it seems to be pretty much a two horse operation. And, I bet they have day jobs. I still think the title has potential, but they've got a long way to go before it could be considered "polished". At the rate of the current patches, I'd say at least another year or two may be necessary to make it ready for prime time.

I also noticed in the credits that our very own "asid" was given a special thanks.

All-in-all, for hardcore "Anglo-Zulu Wars" fans only at this stage of development.