GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2015, 10:30:12 AM

Title: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2015, 10:30:12 AM
The space combat "study sim" has been made available for early access...I'll definitely be trying this out tonight.

Quote
Image Space Incorporated (ISI) and Digits Crossed Interactive (DCI) today announced that hardcore space simulation 'Rogue System' is now available to the public, adding a uniquely study-sim-like challenger to the recently resurgent space game genre.

Rogue System offers true orbital mechanics using proper Newtonian physics, with excruciatingly detailed ship functions and controls matching the levels of Falcon 4.0 or Eagle Dynamics' DCS flight simulator series. With sound design intended to push the dedicated sim fan to the very edges of loneliness, complete with creaks and groans similar to that of a submarine, you'll truly feel the experience and difficulties of space flight.

Developed by Michael Juliano of Digits Crossed Interactive almost single-handed, Rogue System ran a Kickstarter campaign early 2013, but failed to reach its funding target. ISI, an indie developer in their own right, then minimally funded the project to this Early Access stage.

"I'm delighted firstly that we were able to recognize how good of a job Michael had done," said Gjon Camaj, co-founder of Image Space Incorporated. "It would have been an absolute travesty to have something this special run the risk of never getting to market. Rogue System was the perfect opportunity for ISI to get involved in the publishing end of simulations. Michael's passion for space-sims, and the incredible detail put into Rogue System, made it a perfect fit for both of us." Meanwhile, Joe Campana, also co-founder of ISI, offered, "We're glad Michael is working with us - the technology developed for the Rogue System universe is so well-imagined it could be mistaken as a model for a future spaceflight program."

Early Access for Rogue System is expected to last a year, culminating in the completion of the Core Module's hybrid dynamic/scripted campaign system. Later expansions would add exploration/trading-style gameplay, multi-player, and more. "I've always wanted to play a space-sim like this, and I got tired of waiting for someone else to make one. I'm thrilled that there are others out there who share this need; so Rogue System is as much for them as for me..." said Michael Juliano, founder of Digits Crossed Interactive.

Rogue System Summary

Rogue System's goal is to bring the classic space-combat sims into the modern era of gaming at an unprecedented level of control. It blends the capabilities and usability of modern games with the detail and fidelity of hardcore combat flight-sims. With a simulated science fiction setting, richly deep spaceship management, and intense combat, Rogue System satisfies both the "survey" and "study" sim enthusiast.

Digits Crossed Interactive

Digits Crossed Interactive was founded in January, 2013, by Michael Juliano. Its sole purpose was to give Rogue System a proper home, and be the foundation for a dedicated team of individuals with a passion to create a unique entry in the space-combat genre.

http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/ (http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/)

Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 15, 2015, 09:37:58 PM
I'm conflicted.  I want to get it but I got burned on the EA for Battle of Stalingrad and Atlas Wearables.   I think I'm going to hold off for now.
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2015, 09:47:48 PM
I'm really surprised none of you space fly boys have jumped into this thread...I tried the early release core build out tonight and before I knew it, I had been piloting for about three hours. This DEFINITELY feels like DCS in space. The cold start procedures are awesome. Maybe it is not as sexy as Elite:Dangerous or Star Citizen but it feels like it is more in the near future and has a much more authentic look than the other sims in its class. I really think there is a strong chance that this is what space tech will look like once we are really ready to travel amongst the stars.

I have a feeling this game is going to be the closest thing to real space flight in the history of pc gaming. Another title that is going to push the envelope. That being said, flight, navigation and combat are going to all be cold and brutal. This is going to be a challenging experience.

Anyway, here are some screens.

The game menu is pretty basic right now. Single missions are available containing basic, but effective tutorials. Tutorials can be shut off providing for sandbox style free flight.
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/11084172_10200957411173691_6739173927905618283_o.jpg)

Player starts in FPS in the main corridor of your Firearc class combat vessel. Its a civilian transport converted into a ship for combat. Open the hatch to access the cockpit
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/t31.0-8/11406499_10200957409093639_6739321194878021701_o.jpg)

Hatch opening
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t31.0-8/11402594_10200957408973636_5773247822796163802_o.jpg)

The pilot's chair. Awesome.
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/11084172_10200957409173641_579298478805314590_o.jpg)

Sitting in the chair. Screens are dark prior to VMS activation.
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/11406601_10200957409213642_6151553668816758550_o.jpg)

VMS active. Moon on the port side of the vessel
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/11537451_10200957409453648_1943240766325881706_o.jpg)

External view of your Firearc
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/11424665_10200957409133640_1198806629566365337_o.jpg)

Nose art.
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/11032534_10200957409293644_212633832960220511_o.jpg)

Belly of the beast showing airlock
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t31.0-8/1957828_10200957409253643_3420250813431281977_o.jpg)

Zoomed out, external
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/11027998_10200957409333645_7152418049602044065_o.jpg)

Space station
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/11415632_10200957408933635_6431089920862369456_o.jpg)

MTS booster diverting plasma
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/11415473_10200957410813682_7510488356493802094_o.jpg)

Fault light bank
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/11402449_10200957410733680_4885983928710675603_o.jpg)

Port controls. All clickable
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/11402441_10200957410933685_4569229715908569677_o.jpg)

Another view of the moon. Space station visible
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/1800110_10200957411253693_209931124510989901_o.jpg)

Docked
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/10708731_10200957410893684_774075016736712046_o.jpg)

Preparing for umbilical separation
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/11402509_10200957411213692_7356138701823046413_o.jpg)

Configuring COMM channels
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/11430336_10200957411053688_3300237368670233824_o.jpg)

Undocking
(https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/11163428_10200957411013687_2191053618750836902_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 15, 2015, 10:47:33 PM
God damn it......

Ordered.
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Huw the Poo on June 16, 2015, 12:52:16 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2015, 09:47:48 PM
I'm really surprised none of you space fly boys have jumped into this thread...

When it's available for Linux I'll be all over it. ;)
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 16, 2015, 04:17:56 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 15, 2015, 10:47:33 PM
God damn it......

Ordered.

LoL. I just went with the full core module for $30. I figure I will buy the Three expansions at 15 each, if and when they are released.
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Toonces on June 16, 2015, 08:02:54 AM
Man, that sounds fantastic.  I wonder, though, if this will be successful?  I think I could really get into a hard-core study sim like this, but study sims are historically poor money makers, and that's when they're depicting something immediately recognizable like an F-16 or P-51.  Stretching this concept to space could be a tough sell.

Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 16, 2015, 08:29:56 AM
Quote from: Toonces on June 16, 2015, 08:02:54 AM
Man, that sounds fantastic.  I wonder, though, if this will be successful?  I think I could really get into a hard-core study sim like this, but study sims are historically poor money makers, and that's when they're depicting something immediately recognizable like an F-16 or P-51.  Stretching this concept to space could be a tough sell.

Success starts with us. Support it by buying into early access. Packages start as low as $15 I think.
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Tpek on June 16, 2015, 08:42:59 AM
It seems full game packages start at 30$ (the 10$ is only for beta testing, and not the final product).

How is the E.A handled? via Steam?
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 16, 2015, 08:44:10 AM
^No. Its a 246 mb download. You create an account and log-in to run the game, similar to Elite and SC.
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: steve58 on June 16, 2015, 09:06:26 AM
Quote from: Tpek on June 16, 2015, 08:42:59 AM
It seems full game packages start at 30$ (the 10$ is only for beta testing, and not the final product).


I like the fact that you can test drive it during the EA period for the $10 and upgrade to the full package later...with the $10 counting towards the upgrade.  I'm kinda tempted to do that, but then there's that Steam sale...

If/before I go create an acct, etc, do they take Paypal?
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 16, 2015, 09:13:04 AM
Quote from: steve58 on June 16, 2015, 09:06:26 AM
Quote from: Tpek on June 16, 2015, 08:42:59 AM
It seems full game packages start at 30$ (the 10$ is only for beta testing, and not the final product).


I like the fact that you can test drive it during the EA period for the $10 and upgrade to the full package later...with the $10 counting towards the upgrade.  I'm kinda tempted to do that, but then there's that Steam sale...

If/before I go create an acct, etc, do they take Paypal?

Yes. I made my purchase with paypal. It was quick and simple and my confirmation email with download link was nearly instantaneous.
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: PanzersEast on June 16, 2015, 09:16:36 AM
I wish more devs would do this.... the simple fact that it is a small cost on the upfront makes me think I will jump in.  Watch the vid below and I think those of us who love systems/procedures will jump in!

Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Michael_J on June 16, 2015, 09:36:57 AM
Hi. My name is Michael Juliano--creator of Rogue System. I was invited over to answer any questions you might have about RogSys, so feel free to ask away. Otherwise, if you've already decided to try out early access I appreciate your giving it a look, and thank you for your support!
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 16, 2015, 09:39:29 AM
Great to have you here Michael. I'll be sure to post any questions if there is anything I can't figure out.

Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Huw the Poo on June 16, 2015, 10:12:55 AM
Any chance of a Linux version Michael?  I believe you hinted at it a while back when you switched engines or something.
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Michael_J on June 16, 2015, 10:17:15 AM
Quote from: Tpek on June 16, 2015, 08:42:59 AM
It seems full game packages start at 30$ (the 10$ is only for beta testing, and not the final product).

How is the E.A handled? via Steam?

RogSys will go to Steam after the eAccess period is over, when the bulk of the final gameplay is in. It will have a much better chance of success then on that platform. Right now it's being handled by Image Space Incorporated, using the same system they use for their rFactor2 (racing sim) sales.

To clarify, eAccess is mainly for those who want to help support early development, and offer ideas and suggestions as the game-play gets added, do so. Plus, my hope is that eAccess will be successful enough to allow me to expand the team beyond myself to speed up production a bit. Even adding ONE artist would decrease my workload by 50%, and double the output :)
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Michael_J on June 16, 2015, 10:21:24 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 16, 2015, 10:12:55 AM
Any chance of a Linux version Michael?  I believe you hinted at it a while back when you switched engines or something.

When I had to make the engine change at the beginning of 2014 (really messed up the schedule), I picked Leadwerks because it was OpenGL and very Linux friendly. So yes, I intend to add support for Linux. Obviously the timing would depend on if I'll be able to hire someone to work on the "conversion", or if I'll have to do it myself later...
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 16, 2015, 10:43:53 AM
Quote from: Michael_J on June 16, 2015, 09:36:57 AM
Hi. My name is Michael Juliano--creator of Rogue System. I was invited over to answer any questions you might have about RogSys, so feel free to ask away. Otherwise, if you've already decided to try out early access I appreciate your giving it a look, and thank you for your support!

Welcome!
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Toonces on June 16, 2015, 11:12:04 AM
I love it when developers participate in game discussions!   O0
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Huw the Poo on June 16, 2015, 12:33:17 PM
Quote from: Michael_J on June 16, 2015, 10:21:24 AM
When I had to make the engine change at the beginning of 2014 (really messed up the schedule), I picked Leadwerks because it was OpenGL and very Linux friendly. So yes, I intend to add support for Linux. Obviously the timing would depend on if I'll be able to hire someone to work on the "conversion", or if I'll have to do it myself later...

Sweeeeeeet.  I'll jump in with both feet when it materialises! O0
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: steve58 on June 16, 2015, 12:45:50 PM
...and a vid from Scott Manley

Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 16, 2015, 08:15:29 PM
Docking! Just wow.

Hardest thing I have ever tried to do in a sim.
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Pinetree on June 16, 2015, 08:44:20 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 16, 2015, 08:15:29 PM
Docking! Just wow.

Hardest thing I have ever tried to do in a sim.
If it's anything like Orbiter, then yep I agree with you..
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 16, 2016, 01:12:45 PM
Rogue System has just been made available for early access on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/366000/ (http://store.steampowered.com/app/366000/)
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 10, 2022, 07:58:24 PM
This is one of the more tragic stories in game development. This title had such potential to truly be like a "DCS in space". Sadly, the developer sustained a rather severe head injury, ceased development and it does not look like he ever recovered. Someone associated with the development recently posted in the steam forums that he has been unable to contact the developer, who has disappeared and gone dark on all social and digital media. It's quite possible that he didn't make it and succumbed to his injury.

In any event, they managed to get Steam to list the game as free. Although it is entirely unfinished and incomplete, I highly recommend giving it a shot. Even the start up sequence was incredible.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/366000/Rogue_System/ (https://store.steampowered.com/app/366000/Rogue_System/)

Michael, you posted in this thread before your injury. If you are out there, I hope you are well...
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Old TImer on June 11, 2022, 06:15:27 PM
Very very sad.  Such a promising start only to have it come to a premature end.   I suppose it would be
difficult if not impossible for a third party to take over.  So much good stuff here and that's the end of it.
Pretty difficult to accept.
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 11, 2022, 06:25:29 PM
Quote from: gregb41352 on June 11, 2022, 06:15:27 PM
Very very sad.  Such a promising start only to have it come to a premature end.   I suppose it would be
difficult if not impossible for a third party to take over.  So much good stuff here and that's the end of it.
Pretty difficult to accept.

Nobody other then MIchael has the source code, so unless he turns up. It's truly dead.
Title: Re: Rogue system Early Access Is Here!
Post by: Skoop on June 13, 2022, 12:03:22 PM
Thats a very unfortunate story.  Tbh, my dcs in space itch is scratched by star citizen.