GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 02:44:19 PM

Title: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 02:44:19 PM
Coming soon from Matrixgames...

Quote
Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 is a new turn-based, tactical wargame that focuses on conflicts in the Middle East.

Conflicts Covered:

War of Independence in 1948
Suez Crisis of 1956
Six Day War of 1967
War of Attrition
October War of 1973
Invasion of Lebanon in 1982
Algerian War of Independence
Egypt in Yemen
United Kingdom in Aden
Libyan - Egyptian Border War 1977

The series portrays battles spanning from 1948 to 1982. Each scenario is played on a unique, historical map with seven view modes. Scenario maps are based on topographic maps of from the period created on a hex grid; hexes are 250 metres across. Each scenario has a variable number of turns in which you are your opponent attempt to achieve the maximum number of victory points, usually by destroying your opponents forces or by capturing objective locations. A wide variety of battle situations are represented in the game, from meeting engagements to trench defences, armoured breakthroughs, battles of attrition, mobile defences, and more!

There are four low-complexity Boot Camp scenarios, designed especially with the new player in mind, with step-by-step instructions on how to play. The remaining scenario vary in size from very short and small to long and large. They can be played against the computer, PBEM, head-to-head, hotseat, or real-time network play.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/582/details/The.Campaign.Series:.Middle.East.1948-1985
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Nefaro on July 08, 2015, 02:47:30 PM
Been looking forward to seeing how this turned out.  The original was an unfinished buggy mess so hopefully that's all been resolved and it doesn't cost a kidney.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 02:50:43 PM
I thought it looked very familiar.  So this is just a re-release of (and hopefully updated) Talonsofts's Divided Ground then???
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Nefaro on July 08, 2015, 02:58:52 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 02:50:43 PM
I thought it looked very familiar.  So this is just a re-release of (and hopefully updated) Talonsofts's Divided Ground then???

Yep.

I suspect they may have some extra scenarios in it (?) along with a lot of bug fixes.  The original was pretty much unplayable in many cases, due to the bugs.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 03:16:25 PM
I knew it was from the Talonsoft series immediately from the look of the screenshots.

It would be nice to get a game that's actually new for a change.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 04:22:15 PM
The forum (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515) is up.  ...and an interesting comment from one of the devs (I think).

Quote
Divided Ground was scrapped. We found it didn't meet our standards, so while the theme is the same, it is actually a brand new game. Not a revamp.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894223


Release date looks to be late September 2015.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Wolfe1759 on July 08, 2015, 04:30:40 PM
This looked interesting.

Then I saw the screenshots and I must admit I totally lost interest.

I know as a wargamer I shouldn't want flashy graphics and slick UIs, but I do want something better (particularly in the UI department) than what was just about acceptable ten or more years ago.

I do hope this isn't a sign of what is coming for TOAW IV and Steel Tigers.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 04:33:24 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 04:22:15 PM
The forum (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515) is up.  ...and an interesting comment from one of the devs (I think).

Quote
Divided Ground was scrapped. We found it didn't meet our standards, so while the theme is the same, it is actually a brand new game. Not a revamp.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894223


Release date looks to be late September 2015.

If you are going to make a totally new game, why make it look exactly like the old one?
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: panzerde on July 08, 2015, 05:43:12 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 04:33:24 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 04:22:15 PM
The forum (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515) is up.  ...and an interesting comment from one of the devs (I think).

Quote
Divided Ground was scrapped. We found it didn't meet our standards, so while the theme is the same, it is actually a brand new game. Not a revamp.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894223 (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894223)


Release date looks to be late September 2015.

If you are going to make a totally new game, why make it look exactly like the old one?

Because the old one (Campaign Series) is one of the best company-scale systems ever made?
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 08, 2015, 05:43:27 PM
I love the subject, but likely will be a pass as well.  Don't need tremendous graphics but these games (i.e. Tiller, HPS, etc.) just don't seem to want to evolve for some reason...I just don't get it.  They have great subject matters but just seem to refuse being more modern...such a shame.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: vyshka on July 08, 2015, 06:03:50 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 04:33:24 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 04:22:15 PM
The forum (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515) is up.  ...and an interesting comment from one of the devs (I think).

Quote
Divided Ground was scrapped. We found it didn't meet our standards, so while the theme is the same, it is actually a brand new game. Not a revamp.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894223
Release date looks to be late September 2015.

If you are going to make a totally new game, why make it look exactly like the old one?

I imagine it was a case of reusing art assets where they could to keep costs down.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 06:07:38 PM
Quote from: panzerde on July 08, 2015, 05:43:12 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 04:33:24 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 04:22:15 PM
The forum (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515) is up.  ...and an interesting comment from one of the devs (I think).

Quote
Divided Ground was scrapped. We found it didn't meet our standards, so while the theme is the same, it is actually a brand new game. Not a revamp.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894223 (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894223)


Release date looks to be late September 2015.

If you are going to make a totally new game, why make it look exactly like the old one?

Because the old one (Campaign Series) is one of the best company-scale systems ever made?

so if it's the best company scale system ever made it doesn't need to be changed, right? So if the system is unchanged. And the art is unchanged, what is new and why should anyone buy the same game again?
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: panzerde on July 08, 2015, 06:31:16 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 06:07:38 PM
so if it's the best company scale system ever made it doesn't need to be changed, right? So if the system is unchanged. And the art is unchanged, what is new and why should anyone buy the same game again?

Divided Ground was a broken piece of software, but the Campaign Series is excellent. The game was re-written using the Campaign Series engine and not Divided Ground. The art is not the same - in fact, all of the counters have been redone and rescaled, there are completely new scenarios and maps.  It was produced by players of the Campaign Series that have also continued to support and modify East Front, West Front, and Rising Sun. The primary market for this game is for players of the Campaign system. There's been discussion on the Campaign Series forum at Matrix about this re-development effort for at least a year, with engagement from people who are dedicated players of this series.



Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Al on July 08, 2015, 06:40:50 PM
I was disappointed that the original Divided Ground was such a mess.  No wonder Matrix scrapped it.  This is a definite buy for me.  The graphics - to me - look fine.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: mirth on July 08, 2015, 07:03:22 PM
Quote from: Al on July 08, 2015, 06:40:50 PM
I was disappointed that the original Divided Ground was such a mess.  No wonder Matrix scrapped it.  This is a definite buy for me.  The graphics - to me - look fine.

+1 I'll buy it when the time comes. I so wished Divided Ground had been more playable. The dated graphics don't bother me. They seemed dated when the Campaign Series was new.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 07:12:37 PM
Quote from: panzerde on July 08, 2015, 06:31:16 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 06:07:38 PM
so if it's the best company scale system ever made it doesn't need to be changed, right? So if the system is unchanged. And the art is unchanged, what is new and why should anyone buy the same game again?

Divided Ground was a broken piece of software, but the Campaign Series is excellent. The game was re-written using the Campaign Series engine and not Divided Ground. The art is not the same - in fact, all of the counters have been redone and rescaled, there are completely new scenarios and maps.  It was produced by players of the Campaign Series that have also continued to support and modify East Front, West Front, and Rising Sun. The primary market for this game is for players of the Campaign system. There's been discussion on the Campaign Series forum at Matrix about this re-development effort for at least a year, with engagement from people who are dedicated players of this series.

Ok...cool. I'll probably pick it up.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Nefaro on July 08, 2015, 07:18:23 PM
I didn't know they modified the older Campaign Series version into this.  I thought they were fixing up the DG version. 

Must've been in even worse condition than anyone thought, if they threw it out and started from the earlier games in the series.  :o
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: jomni on July 08, 2015, 08:23:10 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 04:33:24 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 04:22:15 PM
The forum (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515) is up.  ...and an interesting comment from one of the devs (I think).

Quote
Divided Ground was scrapped. We found it didn't meet our standards, so while the theme is the same, it is actually a brand new game. Not a revamp.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894223


Release date looks to be late September 2015.

If you are going to make a totally new game, why make it look exactly like the old one?

Because it is called Campaign Series and this look fits the series. It is a highly regarded and polished tactical wargame. Until today, CS  has a lot of coverage with regards to WW2. Now it is expanding post-WW2.

And it's true. Original divided ground was a mess.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: JasonPratt on July 08, 2015, 09:18:11 PM
Oh good! -- I was hoping they weren't only borrowing the name.  O0

I for one welcome our new Middle Eastern overlords.



...you know how sometimes things in your head sound really funny and then you say them?  :buck2:
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: panzerde on July 08, 2015, 09:23:48 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 08, 2015, 09:18:11 PM

I for one welcome our new Middle Eastern overlords.



...you know how sometimes things in your head sound really funny and then you say them?  :buck2:

ROFLMAO  :2funny:

If you weren't before, I suspect that gets you on a list, somewhere.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Staggerwing on July 08, 2015, 09:25:21 PM

I'll probably get this game as well even though I have the original DG. This version must be shinier, right?

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 08, 2015, 09:18:11 PM
...you know how sometimes things in your head sound really funny and then you say them?  :buck2:

I try to make it a point not to say the things in my head until they have been vetted.

Unless there is alcohol involved...
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: jomni on July 08, 2015, 09:27:15 PM
Now where's that Age of Rifles remake.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: JasonPratt on July 08, 2015, 10:15:25 PM
Quote from: panzerde on July 08, 2015, 09:23:48 PM
If you weren't before, I suspect that gets you on a list, somewhere.

I was briefly on a sig at least once maybe twice early in my career here, but that hasn't happened in a while. I'm hoping either this or the philosolabradoodle will get there.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: spelk on July 09, 2015, 01:40:06 AM
Quote from: jomni on July 08, 2015, 09:27:15 PM
Now where's that Age of Rifles remake.

+1
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: steve58 on July 09, 2015, 08:09:46 AM
...from the forums:

Quote
A brief summary list of the key new features in Middle East:

Seven BattleView map modes: three 3D and four 2D (three and four levels of zoom-in & zoom-out respectively).

A massive graphics face-lift, with: new and improved map terrains, hex highlights, night graphics, transparent map labels; and redone 2D counters and graphical unit icons, an expanded set of NATO icons, alternative counter types, multiple 3D unit base types, markers-as-terrain, 2D unit thermometers, and more.

Air Levels for helicopter flight. Four unique zones that helicopters operate in; Ground, Nap of the Earth (NOE), Low, and High. Each having their own benefits and limitations.

Adaptive A/I, with dozens of game parameters and behaviors varied and set based on nation, year, and scenario. And a much more fully fleshed out Audacious/Cautious A/I.

Another, still larger toolbar option (joining the earlier, revised Standard, Small & None options). Expanded dialog boxes and Jump Map. New Infobox features and options.

Map editor, with up to 49 levels of elevation and no limitations on size (dependent on the graphics limitation of the customer's hardware).

Scenario editor, with the editors above, allows the customer to create any scenario the customer wishes. With dynamically reassigned nation sides.

A new file/folder scheme, with support for folders: data, graphics, logs, misc, OOBs, pictures, saves, scenarios, sounds, special, texts.

And a long list of minor new features. Please skim the Coder & Developer Diaries here for details.

We will be repeating some of the Diaries material, and posting new Diaries, in the coming weeks.

A major review and overhaul of the games' A/I is planned over the next year and beyond.

All of the new features, and still more to be developed in the coming year and more, will be retro-fitted to the original JTCS games (EF, WF & RS) in the planned "mega-update" scheduled for late 2016.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894632


...and mention of Vietnam and Cold War titles in the future:

Quote
In the future, you can expect at least two additional titles that are already under development; Vietnam (which will cover 1948-1979) and Cold War (spanning from 1948 to 1985/89).

Vietnam will be focused on historical/real battles.... from the French in Indochina to the USA in Vietnam to the Sino-Vietnam Conflict.

Cold War will have some historical/real battles but will be heavily focused on fictional (but historically plausable) timelines and situations. (For example, proposed invasion of Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis - what if it went hot?).

Don't forget that our games are living gives, we will continue to support and update them (for free, same as we have been doing with the Campaign Series).

Jason Petho

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894510



Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Dammit Carl! on July 09, 2015, 08:51:34 AM
As a fan of the Campaign series (even have the old books, boxes, CDs 'cause I'm old like that), I will enjoy this one too.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: berto on July 09, 2015, 03:23:46 PM
Quote from: jomni on July 08, 2015, 08:23:10 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 04:33:24 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 04:22:15 PM
The forum (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515) is up.  ...and an interesting comment from one of the devs (I think).

Quote
Divided Ground was scrapped. We found it didn't meet our standards, so while the theme is the same, it is actually a brand new game. Not a revamp.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894223


Release date looks to be late September 2015.

If you are going to make a totally new game, why make it look exactly like the old one?

Because it is called Campaign Series and this look fits the series. It is a highly regarded and polished tactical wargame. Until today, CS  has a lot of coverage with regards to WW2. Now it is expanding post-WW2.

And it's true. Original divided ground was a mess.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894878

Quote
More than a simple revamp, the Campaign Series really is evolving into a substantially new, but still familiar, modernized game series.

(Further note: In the years ahead, we don't rule out, indeed we plan for, significant new UI and graphics improvements also!)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894898

Quote
Making use of the limited time and resources we have, in Middle East we have substantially revamped the 2D map modes, adding two new larger, zoomed-in 2D modes (50% and 100% larger than the earlier largest zoom), along with a host of other 2D improvements. To some of us (old board war game grognards), the game has shifted focus, with 2D the new primary playing modes, and 3D in secondary status. (Much like, say, TOAW, where 2D is the primary interface, and 3D is an afterthought.)

That said, we do have longer-range plans to buff the Campaign Series' 3D. Rome Wasn't Built in a Day.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: panzerde on July 09, 2015, 04:23:25 PM
Thanks berto!


This man knows whereof he speaks, since he did most of it...  :)
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Boggit on July 09, 2015, 05:21:49 PM
I'm looking forward to it. :)
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Nefaro on July 09, 2015, 06:09:28 PM
The pixel art from the old games didn't bother me.  They have their own charm. 

It's the blocky or heavily pixelated 3D games that visually drive me nuts (Minecraft being a good example).
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: DicedT on July 09, 2015, 06:18:14 PM
A 2015 grognard tactical game with no real command and control rules, and a UI that causes carpal tunnel syndrome?

And this after Steel Panthers and Flashpoint Campaigns?

Once the nostalgic oohs and ahs are over, this game will rapidly fade into niche status. Just like the folks who wax over some 1970s paper wargame, only to discover that once you actually play them, you can't go home again.

Michael

Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Barthheart on July 09, 2015, 08:21:01 PM
Man, who peed in yer cornflakes?
;D
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Rayfer on July 09, 2015, 08:36:14 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 09, 2015, 08:21:01 PM
Man, who peed in yer cornflakes?
;D

LOL....! But in all honesty, DicedT is on to something. The 'good-old-days' aren't always as good as we remember them to be.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: panzerde on July 09, 2015, 08:42:43 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 09, 2015, 08:21:01 PM
Man, who peed in yer cornflakes?
;D


Come on Vance, you don't play any of those old school paper games, do you?  I'm sure Capn Darwin doesn't have anything to do with them...


::)
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Staggerwing on July 09, 2015, 09:20:23 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 09, 2015, 08:09:46 AM

Quote
Cold War (spanning from 1948 to 1985/89).

Cold War will have some historical/real battles but will be heavily focused on fictional (but historically plausable) timelines and situations. (For example, proposed invasion of Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis - what if it went hot?)


Stiffie.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: DicedT on July 09, 2015, 10:12:42 PM
Piss and cornflakes. Breakfast of Grogs.

Michael


Quote from: Barthheart on July 09, 2015, 08:21:01 PM
Man, who peed in yer cornflakes?
;D
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Cyrano on July 09, 2015, 11:10:55 PM
Gimme the 2D Panzer Leader unit counters that they've had up in the Matrix fora and I have me a desert island game.  The only game to come close to doing what this does for me is Panzer Battles which is, after all, a nice re-creation of Dr. Tiller's campaign system a decade and a half down the road.

Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: reapagan on July 12, 2015, 06:16:04 PM
QuoteA 2015 grognard tactical game with no real command and control rules, and a UI that causes carpal tunnel syndrome?

And this after Steel Panthers and Flashpoint Campaigns?

Once the nostalgic oohs and ahs are over, this game will rapidly fade into niche status. Just like the folks who wax over some 1970s paper wargame, only to discover that once you actually play them, you can't go home again.
Michael


"To each his own..."
"You say potato and I say Potato..."
"The old that is strong does not wither..."
"Home is where the heart is..."

I don't know about anybody else but if it's good it's good, don't matter how old. (see: Original Star Trek, Original Law and Order, The Longest Day, Zulu, A Bridge too Far, MOO1 and MOO2, Heroes of Might and Magic 2-3-4, JTS Campaign Series, Cougars, the list goes on and on.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Barthheart on July 12, 2015, 06:41:49 PM
Quote from: reapagan on July 12, 2015, 06:16:04 PM
QuoteA 2015 grognard tactical game with no real command and control rules, and a UI that causes carpal tunnel syndrome?

And this after Steel Panthers and Flashpoint Campaigns?

Once the nostalgic oohs and ahs are over, this game will rapidly fade into niche status. Just like the folks who wax over some 1970s paper wargame, only to discover that once you actually play them, you can't go home again.
Michael


"To each his own..."
"You say potato and I say Potato..."
"The old that is strong does not wither..."
"Home is where the heart is..."

I don't know about anybody else but if it's good it's good, don't matter how old. (see: Original Star Trek, Original Law and Order, The Longest Day, Zulu, A Bridge too Far, MOO1 and MOO2, Heroes of Might and Magic 2-3-4, JTS Campaign Series, Cougars, the list goes on and on.

Cougars FTW!  :2funny:
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Boggit on July 12, 2015, 08:46:48 PM
Quote from: DicedT on July 09, 2015, 10:12:42 PM
Piss and cornflakes. Breakfast of Grogs.

Michael


Quote from: Barthheart on July 09, 2015, 08:21:01 PM
Man, who peed in yer cornflakes?
;D
I prefer milk with my cornflakes. Does that make me odd? ;)

(PS I originally mistyped milk substituting an "f" for the "k", then realised what I'd done! Luckily the wife isn't around!  :2funny: )
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: spelk on January 15, 2016, 08:27:20 AM
The Flare path has a piece on Campaigns: Middle East today...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/15/the-flare-path-campaign-series-middle-east/
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Cyrano on January 15, 2016, 10:54:06 AM
@spelk:  Thanks for the link.  Good piece and all but a review in some ways pointing out the good and the bad.

Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Jason Petho on January 15, 2016, 05:43:03 PM
Thank you, Spelk
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Jason Petho on January 16, 2016, 03:08:55 PM
Here is the latest tutorial video for Middle East

This goes over Bootcamp 3



Jason Petho
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: jomni on January 16, 2016, 07:06:16 PM
Bought!  O0
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Jason Petho on January 16, 2016, 07:45:01 PM
Thank you so much for your support, jomni!
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: jomni on January 16, 2016, 08:26:06 PM
Quote from: Jason Petho on January 16, 2016, 07:45:01 PM
Thank you so much for your support, jomni!

Long time CS and John Tiller fan.  ^-^
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Gusington on January 16, 2016, 08:45:52 PM
I'm curiously looking at this too...is there any more modern competition for this game?
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Crossroads on January 17, 2016, 04:52:43 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2016, 08:45:52 PM
I'm curiously looking at this too...is there any more modern competition for this game?

Are you asking about other games covering Middle East conflicts, or any other Platoon sized tactical games? It is a bit difficult to give examples, given CS: Middle East also covers a period from 1948 to 1985.

Flashpoint Campaigns (Cold War WEGO) and Tiller's Panzer Battles (WW II IGOUGO) top of my mind perhaps.

edit Given we also have 3D units featured, Panzer Corps perhaps?

I am writing a DAR at the AAR section, have a look. Berto's writing the other side of the story at the Matrix CS forum. Link available at the bottom of my siggie.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Gusington on January 17, 2016, 09:37:23 AM
^Thanks - I mean Middle East conflicts games...with a more modern engine if there is any such thing.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Crossroads on January 17, 2016, 10:13:13 AM
Nope, I am not aware of any other ME titles released lately.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Gusington on January 17, 2016, 02:50:02 PM
^Thanks again. Considering there is nothing any newer that has been released the graphics don't look too bad to me...serviceable enough.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Crossroads on January 17, 2016, 03:50:51 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 17, 2016, 02:50:02 PM
^Thanks again. Considering there is nothing any newer that has been released the graphics don't look too bad to me...serviceable enough.

Newer than CS Middle East? Nope, the latest update is 12 Jan 2016, don't come much newer than that  :coolsmiley:

With graphics do you mean 2D or 3D graphics?

2D graphics are redone with boardgame design as a goal. 3D graphics are new for most of the units, while terrain is more of the old design. 3D terrain is about to be revamped I believe already for CS Vietnam, after which they will be shared towards other titles. Terrain wise there's the MausMan's 3D mod that changes them quite completely. His mod is done with the 250m per hex scale, while the originals are replicating table top miniatures dioramas.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Gusington on January 17, 2016, 04:07:54 PM
Do you know when the Cold War game is due out?
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Crossroads on January 17, 2016, 04:24:47 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 17, 2016, 04:07:54 PM
Do you know when the Cold War game is due out?

It will take a while to get there, unfortunately. The plan is to fall into a rhythm of a first a more modern title then a WW II title.

Vietnam is already work-in-progress, to be followed by WW II West Front (likely). Then likely Korean War after that. Then another WW II title. Or something like that.

One at a time though! So Vietnam next. Then we'll see.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Gusington on January 17, 2016, 06:08:45 PM
Excellent. The Mideast game looks like it has enough content to us over until the newer ones are released.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: jomni on January 17, 2016, 06:42:10 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on January 17, 2016, 04:52:43 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2016, 08:45:52 PM
I'm curiously looking at this too...is there any more modern competition for this game?

Are you asking about other games covering Middle East conflicts, or any other Platoon sized tactical games? It is a bit difficult to give examples, given CS: Middle East also covers a period from 1948 to 1985.

Flashpoint Campaigns (Cold War WEGO) and Tiller's Panzer Battles (WW II IGOUGO) top of my mind perhaps.

edit Given we also have 3D units featured, Panzer Corps perhaps?

I am writing a DAR at the AAR section, have a look. Berto's writing the other side of the story at the Matrix CS forum. Link available at the bottom of my siggie.

Flashpoint Campaigns was supposed to have a Middle East variant.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: berto on January 18, 2016, 03:20:29 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 17, 2016, 06:08:45 PM
Excellent. The Mideast game looks like it has enough content to us over until the newer ones are released.

We have good reason to expect that more CSME scenarios, possibly many more, will be forthcoming.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: panzerde on January 20, 2016, 09:34:10 PM
Jason & Crossroads, you guys have really ruined me. I fired up WF the other night because I wanted to play an Arracourt scenario, and WF is about the only option.

I couldn't play it. I'm too used to the changes and improvements in CS:ME now. I really can't wait to have the existing games updated to the same standard!  :smitten:
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Jason Petho on January 21, 2016, 12:17:06 AM
Hahaha... that's excellent news!!

See, it's not the same old, same old!
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: berto on January 21, 2016, 09:34:40 AM
Quote from: panzerde on January 20, 2016, 09:34:10 PM
Jason & Crossroads, you guys have really ruined me. I fired up WF the other night because I wanted to play an Arracourt scenario, and WF is about the only option.

I couldn't play it. I'm too used to the changes and improvements in CS:ME now...

+1

I can't bear to play anymore Rising Sun, my favorite JTCS title.

I need my hot keys!  Also the new zoomed-in 2D!
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: panzerde on January 21, 2016, 09:39:17 AM
Quote from: berto on January 21, 2016, 09:34:40 AM
Quote from: panzerde on January 20, 2016, 09:34:10 PM
Jason & Crossroads, you guys have really ruined me. I fired up WF the other night because I wanted to play an Arracourt scenario, and WF is about the only option.

I couldn't play it. I'm too used to the changes and improvements in CS:ME now...

+1

I can't bear to play anymore Rising Sun, my favorite JTCS title.

I need my hot keys!  Also the new zoomed-in 2D!


Didn't mean to leave you out, berto! But that's exactly right - the improvements make the game so much easier and nicer to play.

Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Crossroads on January 21, 2016, 12:46:51 PM
^^ Even a silly little thing such as CS:ME limiting the LOS sighting with Extreme Fog-of-War to hexes only having a friendly unit is something I am missing on the previous titles.  :tickedoff:
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: panzerde on January 23, 2016, 04:08:23 PM
One thing I am finding that I'm really hoping for some improvement on in future titles is how elevation is depicted on the maps. I think the way it's done in the Panzer Battles games or Flashpoint Campaigns is a lot more useful than the current 2D maps. Most of thime it's really pretty difficult to read the terrain, particularly on the desert maps.


I'm also starting to have serious doubts about the 1982+ OOBs, but I need to experiment a bit more.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: panzerde on January 23, 2016, 04:40:35 PM
Let me also throw in there that armor facing effects at this scale as a default optional rule are a horrible idea. At 250m to the hex it's absurd to assume by default that all vehicles are facing the same direction. That rule isn't on by default in the original CS games; I find it odd that it's considered standard for CS:ME. It leads to extremely gamey behavior.

Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Crossroads on January 24, 2016, 02:36:13 AM
Quote from: panzerde on January 23, 2016, 04:08:23 PM
One thing I am finding that I'm really hoping for some improvement on in future titles is how elevation is depicted on the maps. I think the way it's done in the Panzer Battles games or Flashpoint Campaigns is a lot more useful than the current 2D maps. Most of thime it's really pretty difficult to read the terrain, particularly on the desert maps.


Duly noted, and something we are aware as well. When we upped the available elevation levels from 20 to 50 one of the drawback obviously is that there's less difference in coloring from one elevation to another.

I've entered a wishlist item to have separate tiles for slopes so then there'd be a visible element to depict a change that would no doubt be helpful. It is not a top priority item atm so I can't tell when it would be available if at all.

What I do I hit the '.' (dot) hotkey to see the elevation values at times when the terrain is not obvious. It is a workaround though, I agree with your observation. Meanwhile, for 1.02 update, I've redone all the basic clear terrain tiles that have the elevation coloring in a manner that the higher you go, not only the color changes but so does desaturation. I hope it helps a bit.

Here's a Vietnam map snippet of an area where all 50 elevation levels were used.   

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82769465/CSVN%20Stuff/rodvn.PNG)

And here's the same map with Elevation values turned ON ('.' hot key)

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82769465/CSVN%20Stuff/rodvnelev.PNG)

Quote from: panzerde on January 23, 2016, 04:08:23 PM

I'm also starting to have serious doubts about the 1982+ OOBs, but I need to experiment a bit more.

Do you mean Unit weapon values, or high level formations? Sure, anything you find let us know!
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Crossroads on January 24, 2016, 02:47:33 AM
Quote from: panzerde on January 23, 2016, 04:40:35 PM
Let me also throw in there that armor facing effects at this scale as a default optional rule are a horrible idea. At 250m to the hex it's absurd to assume by default that all vehicles are facing the same direction. That rule isn't on by default in the original CS games; I find it odd that it's considered standard for CS:ME. It leads to extremely gamey behavior.

Armor Facing as such has been around as an Optional Rule with Campaign Series for ages. It's got it fans, for instance at The Blitz PBEM Ladder I'd say a slight majority of players would actually prefer it.

As for realism, I've read many accounts where maneuvering even at platoon / section levels has a meaning, therefore supporting the rule.

I know many of the CS:ME scenario descriptions suggest to have it on, especially as Jason likes it and uses it and he's done many of them. I personally don't prefer it and switch it off, and then on the other hands the scenarios I've designed suggest it should be OFF instead  ;)

For 2D without facings it is much preferred OFF as well. There is another wish list item in place to have facing pips visible when AF is ON, but I don't have a time line for that being implemented either. So many things we want to add!

So at the end of the day, I'd just say always switch it OFF if that is how you like it. I'll see if I manage to convince the others the default for it should be OFF as well, but I might be on the minority on that one so might not happen :knuppel2:
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: panzerde on January 24, 2016, 10:32:14 AM
Turning it off works for solo gaming, but it's almost impossible to do for PBEM. Even players who don't know about it or particularly care will have it on, since it's on by default.

Unfortunately it's stuff like that and the elevation issue that is causing me to always decide to play Panzer Battles over Campaign Series at this point.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: panzerde on January 24, 2016, 10:38:24 AM
BTW, I'm noticing a very weird set of visual artifacts with helicopters and the 1.02 open beta. I had a helo unit that my opponent moved an anti-air unit into the same hex. At the end of the turn, my helo and the AA unit disappeared from the map. I assumed he shot the helo unit down and I'd just missed the message. The location was such that the AA unit would have been out of LOS from anything else, so I figured that was why I didn't see it any more.

Two turns go by. Every time he moves his helos, I see partial counter "ghosts" left behind in the hexes he's moved through until I change views of exit the game. At the end of the two turns, he moves his AA unit and *poof!* There's my helo unit, safe and sound. My opponent said that he also had it disappear, which is why he didn't shoot at it.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Crossroads on January 24, 2016, 10:57:57 AM
Quote from: panzerde on January 24, 2016, 10:32:14 AM
Turning it off works for solo gaming, but it's almost impossible to do for PBEM. Even players who don't know about it or particularly care will have it on, since it's on by default.

Unfortunately it's stuff like that and the elevation issue that is causing me to always decide to play Panzer Battles over Campaign Series at this point.

What I do before starting a PBEM is agree with my opponent on Rules Of Engagement, which for most part is about agreeing on the Optional Rules. I quite strongly prefer AF OFF as well, for several reasons.

As for elevations, they are what they are, nothing that can be done at the moment. We'll try to figure out additional ways to enhance the differences on elevations. But for now, toggling the Contours ('C') and Elevation Lables ('.') ON once and a while is the available workaround for this.  :-\
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Crossroads on January 24, 2016, 11:00:08 AM
Quote from: panzerde on January 24, 2016, 10:38:24 AM
BTW, I'm noticing a very weird set of visual artifacts with helicopters and the 1.02 open beta. I had a helo unit that my opponent moved an anti-air unit into the same hex. At the end of the turn, my helo and the AA unit disappeared from the map. I assumed he shot the helo unit down and I'd just missed the message. The location was such that the AA unit would have been out of LOS from anything else, so I figured that was why I didn't see it any more.

Two turns go by. Every time he moves his helos, I see partial counter "ghosts" left behind in the hexes he's moved through until I change views of exit the game. At the end of the two turns, he moves his AA unit and *poof!* There's my helo unit, safe and sound. My opponent said that he also had it disappear, which is why he didn't shoot at it.

Thanks for reporting this. There were some issues with friendly and hostile units in the same hex, and I thought we had squashed the bug(s) there.

Given how fixing one thing might lead to some unwanted side effects, do you think you could email me the BTE files with your password so I can have a look? My addie is krazykat dot theblitz at gmail dot com.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: berto on January 24, 2016, 12:18:23 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on January 24, 2016, 10:57:57 AM

As for elevations, they are what they are, nothing that can be done at the moment. We'll try to figure out additional ways to enhance the differences on elevations. But for now, toggling the Contours ('C') and Elevation Lables ('.') ON once and a while is the available workaround for this.  :-\

Or switch to 3D.
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Rayfer on January 24, 2016, 12:35:56 PM
Earlier I saw screenies that had Avalon Hills Arab Israeli Wars counters....is this in the game or a separate mod available to download?
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Crossroads on January 24, 2016, 02:07:49 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on January 24, 2016, 12:35:56 PM
Earlier I saw screenies that had Avalon Hills Arab Israeli Wars counters....is this in the game or a separate mod available to download?

It is a separate mod, available HERE (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3986713).  O0
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: panzerde on January 25, 2016, 09:12:25 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on January 24, 2016, 11:00:08 AM
Thanks for reporting this. There were some issues with friendly and hostile units in the same hex, and I thought we had squashed the bug(s) there.

Given how fixing one thing might lead to some unwanted side effects, do you think you could email me the BTE files with your password so I can have a look? My addie is krazykat dot theblitz at gmail dot com.


Sent to your Blitz address.

Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Crossroads on January 30, 2016, 03:38:43 AM
As part of the work in putting the official 1.02 UPDATE together, we're busy giving the 3D terrain tiles a quick touch-up too. Having given the 2D tiles a bit more washed out look, we're applying the same to 3D terrain as well.

This way, the units, which remain as they are now, will stand out better, even when No Unit Bases option is used:

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82769465/AARs/102terrain3D.png)
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Boggit on January 30, 2016, 06:21:43 PM
They're looking nice. O0
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: Jason Petho on October 15, 2022, 12:42:51 PM
Good day!

We plan to offer a CSME 2.10 UPDATE in the near future (likely Q1 2023).

This will bring the game up to current Campaign Series: Vietnam standards, giving you all the tools and toys that players of Vietnam have been enjoying.

The primary difference between the CSME 2.10 UPDATE and the full CSME 3.00 UPDATE will be the addition of CSEE Lua files for all stock scenarios. As the Lua scripting will take at least another year or so to complete, we decided to offer all the goodies in the CSME 2.10 UPDATE for you to play with in the meantime!

What are some of those goodies?

This amounts to a whole new game, truly!

There will be additional improvements for the CSME 2.10 UPDATE to be revealed as we get closer to release.

This is turning a new corner for our team. We plan on updating our games on an ongoing basis so that the games will remain fresh and on par with one another. No game left behind!

We appreciate your patience and continued support! Stay tuned for more exciting announcements!
Title: Re: The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985
Post by: solops on October 15, 2022, 04:29:42 PM
Hooray!