GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: tgb on July 25, 2015, 11:31:41 AM

Title: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: tgb on July 25, 2015, 11:31:41 AM
It's coming back with a facelift (http://store.steampowered.com/app/341030/?snr=1_7_15__13).

Not only that, but the developers have said that they've added things like random events, terrain modifiers, morale, and routing, which should help the combat, which I remember to be very Risk-like.

It releases Tuesday with a list price of $9.99, but a discount has been promised at launch.  Unless word of mouth is extraordinarily bad, this is a Day One purchase, especially at $10 which is just what I have sitting in my Steam wallet at the moment.

I hope this didn't sound too much like advertising the game.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 25, 2015, 11:35:12 AM
I believe this might be the same where the dev did a quick drive by....since I saw the original post, forgotten about it, will be interesting to see how it turns out...

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13257.msg345180#msg345180
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 25, 2015, 12:18:41 PM
We're going to have some coverage coming up :)
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Rayfer on July 25, 2015, 12:30:46 PM
Looks like EUIV done in the 90's. Never played the game so I can't comment on gameplay.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: WallysWorld on July 25, 2015, 02:16:16 PM
I played a lot of the original game on my old Commodore 64 so I'll keep on eye on this new version.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Queeg on July 25, 2015, 08:21:59 PM
I'm looking forward to this one too.  Hoping it's what Pride of Nations should have been.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Nefaro on July 25, 2015, 11:15:28 PM
Quote from: WallysWorld on July 25, 2015, 02:16:16 PM
I played a lot of the original game on my old Commodore 64 so I'll keep on eye on this new version.

I played it on there too.  But my nostalgia alarm is sounding.

IIRC, the original game was pretty much just shifting numbers of troops from one place to another.  Basically just Risk on the computer, and it was possibly even less sophisticated than that.

:-\


Unless this developer has added a large amount of extra gameplay, I'm not going to be impressed with moving a few thousand troops from space to space every turn and then watching the numbers slowly tick down to represent battles. 
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: kassdhal on July 26, 2015, 03:09:06 AM
Colonial Conquest... OMG I ve spent so much time on this game back in the days!

Looking forward to it :)
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: orpheus on July 26, 2015, 03:13:42 AM
Hey guys,
Thanks for bringing back the game here. We've been busy refining the game since I first posted here in the wake of release.

Brant, I had missed your email but responded this morning!

Hope you'll all like the game :)

Cheers
Orpheus
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 26, 2015, 06:40:18 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 25, 2015, 11:15:28 PM
Quote from: WallysWorld on July 25, 2015, 02:16:16 PM
I played a lot of the original game on my old Commodore 64 so I'll keep on eye on this new version.

I played it on there too.  But my nostalgia alarm is sounding.

IIRC, the original game was pretty much just shifting numbers of troops from one place to another.  Basically just Risk on the computer, and it was possibly even less sophisticated than that.

:-\


Unless this developer has added a large amount of extra gameplay, I'm not going to be impressed with moving a few thousand troops from space to space every turn and then watching the numbers slowly tick down to represent battles.

Might be a nice break to go back to some more simpler games:)  Nowadays I spend my time trying to wrap my head around all the complexities, but fondly remember in my early days playing these types of games right of the box and forever....but I guess we'll see, with the game only being $10, seems like a reasonable risk to take.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: DennisS on July 26, 2015, 08:48:11 AM
Release date is 7/28...steam doesn't give a price. I should think that for a game like this that $12.99 would be a good price point. Shall we play a guessing game?
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 26, 2015, 08:49:28 AM
Quote from: DennisS on July 26, 2015, 08:48:11 AM
Release date is 7/28...steam doesn't give a price. I should think that for a game like this that $12.99 would be a good price point. Shall we play a guessing game?

No need to guess, they have stated price is 9.99 and will even be further discounted on release.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 26, 2015, 09:17:08 AM
Also in case folks didn't see, the manual is available for viewing from the steam store page at

http://store.steampowered.com/manual/341030
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: tgb on July 26, 2015, 10:05:07 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 26, 2015, 08:49:28 AM
Quote from: DennisS on July 26, 2015, 08:48:11 AM
Release date is 7/28...steam doesn't give a price. I should think that for a game like this that $12.99 would be a good price point. Shall we play a guessing game?

No need to guess, they have stated price is 9.99 and will even be further discounted on release.

Not only that, but I mentioned the $9.99 price in my opening post.

Remember kids, reading is FUNdamental.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 26, 2015, 01:02:16 PM
We also covered it in GARPA a while ago

http://grogheads.com/?p=7861

I know you guys are allergic to the front page, but please try to keep up ;)
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: tgb on July 26, 2015, 01:17:30 PM
There's a front page?
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: DennisS on July 26, 2015, 03:40:47 PM
Quote from: tgb on July 26, 2015, 10:05:07 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 26, 2015, 08:49:28 AM
Quote from: DennisS on July 26, 2015, 08:48:11 AM
Release date is 7/28...steam doesn't give a price. I should think that for a game like this that $12.99 would be a good price point. Shall we play a guessing game?

No need to guess, they have stated price is 9.99 and will even be further discounted on release.

Not only that, but I mentioned the $9.99 price in my opening post.

Remember kids, reading is FUNdamental.

You're killing me, Smalls...
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: MetalDog on July 26, 2015, 05:03:13 PM
Quote from: DennisS on July 26, 2015, 03:40:47 PM
You're killing me, Smalls...

My daughter says that all the time.   ;D
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: son_of_montfort on July 26, 2015, 10:57:55 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 26, 2015, 05:03:13 PM
Quote from: DennisS on July 26, 2015, 03:40:47 PM
You're killing me, Smalls...

My daughter says that all the time.   ;D

My wife says this all the time too!
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Boggit on July 27, 2015, 08:40:31 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 25, 2015, 11:15:28 PM
Quote from: WallysWorld on July 25, 2015, 02:16:16 PM
I played a lot of the original game on my old Commodore 64 so I'll keep on eye on this new version.

I played it on there too.  But my nostalgia alarm is sounding.

IIRC, the original game was pretty much just shifting numbers of troops from one place to another.  Basically just Risk on the computer, and it was possibly even less sophisticated than that.

:-\


Unless this developer has added a large amount of extra gameplay, I'm not going to be impressed with moving a few thousand troops from space to space every turn and then watching the numbers slowly tick down to represent battles.
I did the same back in the day. I pretty much agree 100% with Nefaro. :)

It'll have to work hard to compete with Victoria 2, Imperialism, Pride of Nations etc, if it wants a home on my hard drive. Lux deluxe (a Risk game) looks similar in a sense but I suspect has a lot more flexibility. I hope the developer will prove me wrong.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: bboyer66 on July 27, 2015, 02:33:32 PM
 Was a fun game back in the day. Kind of like advanced RISK. Would not really interest me these days.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: spelk on July 28, 2015, 06:29:46 AM
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: tgb on July 28, 2015, 08:40:30 AM
As I thought, it's Risk with sliders.  Still, at $8 it could be a decent time-waster.

My only concern is that one of the developers posted on the Steam forum that there would be random events, yet he mentions that in 3 games he never saw any.  Without random events to keep things interesting, I don't know how much replayability this will have.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: sandman2575 on July 28, 2015, 10:19:47 AM
Quote from: tgb on July 28, 2015, 08:40:30 AM
As I thought, it's Risk with sliders.  Still, at $8 it could be a decent time-waster.

That's too bad. There is a dearth of solid grand strategy titles for this (pretty amazing) era of 1820s to eve of WWI. I've avoided Pride of Nations because of the apparently still-unsolved performance issues. Victoria II is a wonderful but flawed game. Imperialism 2 seems kind of long in the tooth now.

I for one am praying that Pdox's next big project after HOI4 (...if that ever gets finished  ;)) will be Victoria III.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: bobarossa on July 28, 2015, 11:06:28 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on July 28, 2015, 10:19:47 AM
Quote from: tgb on July 28, 2015, 08:40:30 AM
As I thought, it's Risk with sliders.  Still, at $8 it could be a decent time-waster.

Imperialism 2 seems kind of long in the tooth now.

I disagree with that statement.  Imp2's graphics are pretty timeless as they have more of a hand painted map and miniatures feel.  The gameplay is still great.  I've played it at least once every year since it came out.  Does have a few simplifications I would like to see eliminated (troop transfer doesn't need a navy).
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: glen55 on July 28, 2015, 12:21:15 PM
I agree, Imperialism 2 graphics still look just fine to me.  Could they be better?  Of course, it could be 3-dimensional and lovely, but instead it's a map and counters, and it looks fine, not one of those old games that makes my eyes bleed (now that I know something better exists).
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: sandman2575 on July 28, 2015, 12:50:12 PM
Not meant as a knock on the quality of Imperialism II.  When it comes to games, though, I'm pretty un-nostalgic.  I tend to see the "old" in "Good Old Games" more than the "good."

Imperialism II is still very playable, but it's also 16 years old.

Hmmm, come to think of it ... Kickstarter for a reboot of the Imperialism series, anyone?   :)
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: orpheus on July 28, 2015, 12:55:02 PM
Quote from: tgb on July 28, 2015, 08:40:30 AM
As I thought, it's Risk with sliders.  Still, at $8 it could be a decent time-waster.

My only concern is that one of the developers posted on the Steam forum that there would be random events, yet he mentions that in 3 games he never saw any.  Without random events to keep things interesting, I don't know how much replayability this will have.

Hi,
It's Orpheus from the Dev team. I confirm that there are random events (a lot) in the game. I believe that there was a bug in Commissar BRO's release version that was shipped 2 days ago which made the occurence of events WAY too low. Hence the comment :)
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Queeg on July 28, 2015, 01:45:41 PM
For my money, Imperialism II remains the best historical strategy game ever made.   
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: bbmike on July 28, 2015, 02:20:38 PM
It's nice to see so much love for Imperialism II. I may even have to bring back my little spy avatar.  :smitten:
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: orpheus on July 28, 2015, 02:51:12 PM
Quote from: Queeg on July 28, 2015, 01:45:41 PM
For my money, Imperialism II remains the best historical strategy game ever made.   

Gosh yes... and Europa Universalis also. Always thought the strategy part was underrated, but was a great game :)
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 28, 2015, 04:07:31 PM
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/05/05/ten-reasons-imperialism-ii-greatest-strategy-game-ever-made/ (http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/05/05/ten-reasons-imperialism-ii-greatest-strategy-game-ever-made/)

Really good read on Imperialism II.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: bbmike on July 28, 2015, 04:49:28 PM
Another interesting article on Imperialism (http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2009/04/14/imperialism-series-1997-1999/), mostly because co-designer Bill Spieth talks about the games!
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Greybriar on July 28, 2015, 09:46:18 PM
Well, is Colonial Conquest worth $8.99 or should I just boot up my old game of Risk?  ???
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: FarAway Sooner on July 28, 2015, 10:05:07 PM
Imp II was a great title.  I actually got to be pretty good friends with Ted Spieth and his wife (who was the project manager/lead developer who really gave the thing life, I understand), before I even knew they designed that game.  If I could find a way to produce money quickly, it was usually a cake walk over the AI, but otherwise, it was a great title.

Ted was the one who told me that having really good AI in a computer game is much more about building a game system that a computer can understand, rather than building a great game and then figuring out how to build a good AI on top of that.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: kassdhal on July 29, 2015, 07:58:44 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on July 28, 2015, 09:46:18 PM
Well, is Colonial Conquest worth $8.99 or should I just boot up my old game of Risk?  ???

I spent some pretty good time yesterday night playing it. Pretty close to the old amiga game with some good innovations.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Greybriar on July 29, 2015, 08:48:59 AM
Thanks for the input, kassdhal!  O0
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: DennisS on July 30, 2015, 10:00:40 AM
I purchased this myself as well. Here's some observations

--Very Risk-like, only armies and navies
--To move 100 armies across water, you need 100 navies
--Each country has a different cost for armies and navies. Russia gets cheap armies, Britain gets cheap navies
--Stack O' Doom tactics are seriously in play
--Not much else to do, as far as game mechanics. You can scout adjacent territories, at a cost, and at games start you can set up each province to provide a random amount of VP or monies
--500 vp game takes about 20 minutes. You can set this on infinite VP, requiring a total win
--Up to six different countries to play..and each of them can be deselected as an AI opponent. Thusly, 2-6 "players."
--You can give money to a minor player (one of 124 provinces), and they will IMMEDIATELY use that to purchase armies...or regiments in this case
--I played the first game on easy, and won easily. There are several different AI levels...the quality of the programming logic for the AI is as yet undetermined.

After this first game, I will give it a seven. Beer and pretzels, for when I don't feel ambitious enough to fire up the dramatically better/deeper game, Victoria II.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Queeg on July 30, 2015, 01:32:09 PM
Quote from: DennisS on July 30, 2015, 10:00:40 AM
I purchased this myself as well. Here's some observations

--Very Risk-like, only armies and navies
--To move 100 armies across water, you need 100 navies
--Each country has a different cost for armies and navies. Russia gets cheap armies, Britain gets cheap navies
--Stack O' Doom tactics are seriously in play
--Not much else to do, as far as game mechanics. You can scout adjacent territories, at a cost, and at games start you can set up each province to provide a random amount of VP or monies
--500 vp game takes about 20 minutes. You can set this on infinite VP, requiring a total win
--Up to six different countries to play..and each of them can be deselected as an AI opponent. Thusly, 2-6 "players."
--You can give money to a minor player (one of 124 provinces), and they will IMMEDIATELY use that to purchase armies...or regiments in this case
--I played the first game on easy, and won easily. There are several different AI levels...the quality of the programming logic for the AI is as yet undetermined.

After this first game, I will give it a seven. Beer and pretzels, for when I don't feel ambitious enough to fire up the dramatically better/deeper game, Victoria II.

Good summary.  I played a quick game last night and had the same reaction:  a step above Risk in terms of complexity and with much more historical flavor; nowhere near the depth of V2 or PON but a fun change of pace. 
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: em2nought on July 30, 2015, 10:34:57 PM
I could swear I had an old, old, old box game passed down from my brother & sisters with metal dreadnoughts by this name.  It definitely wasn't by SSI.  I'm talking late 1950s production.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: tgb on July 31, 2015, 12:05:07 PM
I just ran into a rather amusing - well, not exactly a bug - with the game's RNG. I started a new game as France and had it randomize all the value of the minors.  On the first turn I wanted to take Spain, so I sent a spy over first.  She must have had a little too much Sangria, because she reported the count of Spain's defense as 1 (one) (uno) (eine) (diddly) (jackshit).

Thinking it must be a problem with the text, I went ahead with the invasion only to find poor little Pedro, all by himself, up on a hill with his rifle, trying to hold me off.

It kind of ruined the immersiveness.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Greybriar on August 01, 2015, 09:34:30 AM
My curiosity about Colonial Conquest got the better of me so I bought it. Instead of buying ships or investing in defense, I spent all my money on armies and began conquering the neighboring territories. In less than six turns I had the 500 necessary victory points to win. There really wasn't any challenge to the game at all.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: amandachen on August 01, 2015, 11:16:27 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on August 01, 2015, 09:34:30 AMIn less than six turns I had the 500 necessary victory points to win. There really wasn't any challenge to the game at all.
LOL. Was feeling kinda tempted by the game, but now not so much. Thanks for the warning.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: tgb on August 01, 2015, 11:23:19 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on August 01, 2015, 09:34:30 AM
My curiosity about Colonial Conquest got the better of me so I bought it. Instead of buying ships or investing in defense, I spent all my money on armies and began conquering the neighboring territories. In less than six turns I had the 500 necessary victory points to win. There really wasn't any challenge to the game at all.

How did you have the AI set?  On the first setting (1 diamond) it's a cakewalk, but above that the AI gets quite aggressive.  Also, what country did you play?  Playing a power that's relatively isolated (Russia, US) is a lot easier than France or Germany.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Greybriar on August 01, 2015, 04:01:45 PM
Quote from: tgb on August 01, 2015, 11:23:19 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on August 01, 2015, 09:34:30 AM
My curiosity about Colonial Conquest got the better of me so I bought it. Instead of buying ships or investing in defense, I spent all my money on armies and began conquering the neighboring territories. In less than six turns I had the 500 necessary victory points to win. There really wasn't any challenge to the game at all.

How did you have the AI set?  On the first setting (1 diamond) it's a cakewalk, but above that the AI gets quite aggressive.  Also, what country did you play?  Playing a power that's relatively isolated (Russia, US) is a lot easier than France or Germany.

Difficulty was set to Standard and I played as the United States.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: tgb on August 01, 2015, 04:09:13 PM
There are two difficulty settings.  Where it says Standard and Hard, I think that's determines the difficulties of the minor nations.  But next to each AI player there's a couple of arrows that sets the aggression level (I think).  I know in my first game the AI was set to the lowest aggressions, and it hardly did anything, but next level up and it was taking minors every turn.

With a non-aggressive AI, the US has all of the Americas pretty much to itself and can easily win (as you found out).  I won my first game as Russia just by moving into Asia and avoiding Europe completely.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Greybriar on August 01, 2015, 04:27:57 PM
I don't remember what the settings for the AI were other than selecting the U.S. to be human player controlled and the other nations to be controlled by the AI. I encountered one AI player in Alaska and defeated it with no problem. I had a little more difficulty in Central America against the AI, but the army I sent south had been depleted and was just too weak. I reinforced it and pushed on without any further delay.
Title: Re: Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?
Post by: Greybriar on August 03, 2015, 04:11:32 PM
Quote from: tgb on August 01, 2015, 04:09:13 PM
....next to each AI player there's a couple of arrows that sets the aggression level (I think).  I know in my first game the AI was set to the lowest aggressions, and it hardly did anything, but next level up and it was taking minors every turn.

With a non-aggressive AI, the US has all of the Americas pretty much to itself and can easily win (as you found out).  I won my first game as Russia just by moving into Asia and avoiding Europe completely.

Okay, I found the settings next to each country in the setup screen which increases the difficulty levels up to General. I haven't played another game since the first one but I'm sure the next will be more challenging.