Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?

Started by tgb, July 25, 2015, 11:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tgb


DennisS

Quote from: tgb on July 26, 2015, 10:05:07 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 26, 2015, 08:49:28 AM
Quote from: DennisS on July 26, 2015, 08:48:11 AM
Release date is 7/28...steam doesn't give a price. I should think that for a game like this that $12.99 would be a good price point. Shall we play a guessing game?

No need to guess, they have stated price is 9.99 and will even be further discounted on release.

Not only that, but I mentioned the $9.99 price in my opening post.

Remember kids, reading is FUNdamental.

You're killing me, Smalls...

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

son_of_montfort

"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Boggit

Quote from: Nefaro on July 25, 2015, 11:15:28 PM
Quote from: WallysWorld on July 25, 2015, 02:16:16 PM
I played a lot of the original game on my old Commodore 64 so I'll keep on eye on this new version.

I played it on there too.  But my nostalgia alarm is sounding.

IIRC, the original game was pretty much just shifting numbers of troops from one place to another.  Basically just Risk on the computer, and it was possibly even less sophisticated than that.

:-\


Unless this developer has added a large amount of extra gameplay, I'm not going to be impressed with moving a few thousand troops from space to space every turn and then watching the numbers slowly tick down to represent battles.
I did the same back in the day. I pretty much agree 100% with Nefaro. :)

It'll have to work hard to compete with Victoria 2, Imperialism, Pride of Nations etc, if it wants a home on my hard drive. Lux deluxe (a Risk game) looks similar in a sense but I suspect has a lot more flexibility. I hope the developer will prove me wrong.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bboyer66

 Was a fun game back in the day. Kind of like advanced RISK. Would not really interest me these days.


tgb

As I thought, it's Risk with sliders.  Still, at $8 it could be a decent time-waster.

My only concern is that one of the developers posted on the Steam forum that there would be random events, yet he mentions that in 3 games he never saw any.  Without random events to keep things interesting, I don't know how much replayability this will have.

sandman2575

Quote from: tgb on July 28, 2015, 08:40:30 AM
As I thought, it's Risk with sliders.  Still, at $8 it could be a decent time-waster.

That's too bad. There is a dearth of solid grand strategy titles for this (pretty amazing) era of 1820s to eve of WWI. I've avoided Pride of Nations because of the apparently still-unsolved performance issues. Victoria II is a wonderful but flawed game. Imperialism 2 seems kind of long in the tooth now.

I for one am praying that Pdox's next big project after HOI4 (...if that ever gets finished  ;)) will be Victoria III.

bobarossa

Quote from: sandman2575 on July 28, 2015, 10:19:47 AM
Quote from: tgb on July 28, 2015, 08:40:30 AM
As I thought, it's Risk with sliders.  Still, at $8 it could be a decent time-waster.

Imperialism 2 seems kind of long in the tooth now.

I disagree with that statement.  Imp2's graphics are pretty timeless as they have more of a hand painted map and miniatures feel.  The gameplay is still great.  I've played it at least once every year since it came out.  Does have a few simplifications I would like to see eliminated (troop transfer doesn't need a navy).

glen55

I agree, Imperialism 2 graphics still look just fine to me.  Could they be better?  Of course, it could be 3-dimensional and lovely, but instead it's a map and counters, and it looks fine, not one of those old games that makes my eyes bleed (now that I know something better exists).
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

sandman2575

Not meant as a knock on the quality of Imperialism II.  When it comes to games, though, I'm pretty un-nostalgic.  I tend to see the "old" in "Good Old Games" more than the "good."

Imperialism II is still very playable, but it's also 16 years old.

Hmmm, come to think of it ... Kickstarter for a reboot of the Imperialism series, anyone?   :)

orpheus

Quote from: tgb on July 28, 2015, 08:40:30 AM
As I thought, it's Risk with sliders.  Still, at $8 it could be a decent time-waster.

My only concern is that one of the developers posted on the Steam forum that there would be random events, yet he mentions that in 3 games he never saw any.  Without random events to keep things interesting, I don't know how much replayability this will have.

Hi,
It's Orpheus from the Dev team. I confirm that there are random events (a lot) in the game. I believe that there was a bug in Commissar BRO's release version that was shipped 2 days ago which made the occurence of events WAY too low. Hence the comment :)

Queeg

#28
For my money, Imperialism II remains the best historical strategy game ever made.   

bbmike

It's nice to see so much love for Imperialism II. I may even have to bring back my little spy avatar.  :smitten:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak