...very interesting teaser indeed.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wargamer.com%2FFiles%2FArticles%2FNewUploads%2FNews%2520Images%2Fproject%2520augustus%2520baseless%2520speculation.jpg&hash=7ee8026da9aaf15763b5fe4c5aa25378be9c1060)
Hmm, nothing about that says "Victoria III is coming!" Therefore, I am sad. :'(
It is supposedly an entirely new IP. However, if it is anything like Emperor of the Fading Suns, I'll be tickled pink.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 04, 2015, 01:36:31 PM
It is supposedly an entirely new IP. However, if it is anything like Emperor of the Fading Suns, I'll be tickled pink.
+1 because if it's not, that just a really, really cruel tease by Paradox.
Is PDS developing this title, or just publishing it? (Sorry, can't seem to find anything about it in the Pdox forums...)
Quote from: sandman2575 on August 04, 2015, 01:49:02 PM
Is PDS developing this title, or just publishing it? (Sorry, can't seem to find anything about it in the Pdox forums...)
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/project-augustus.900/ (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/project-augustus.900/)
Space Romans using (probably) the EUIV engine, I would buy that.
Upon closer inspection, the image does not appear to be from Paradox. It may be just from the article on the wargamer speculating as to the type of game.
The only way that wouldn't be a cruel tease if it isn't an Emperor of the Fading Suns remake, is if they're finally, finally going back to Greco-Roman times to link up with CK2. (Instead of having to rely on what amounts to fan-based uses or rebuild/applications of their old engines, a la Rome: Europe Universalis or Great Invasions.)
Official announcement is coming at Gamescom, which is running this week Aug 5-8.
BTW, the project name is Augustus.
after the last teaser campaign, im watching from a distance
the one thing theyve always maintained is the name is never a clue to the game
I expect them to do a pre-CK2 Roman one at some point, if not literally EU Rome 2.
Quote from: Nefaro on August 04, 2015, 04:52:07 PM
I expect them to do a pre-CK2 Roman one at some point, if not literally EU Rome 2.
Yeah, though not as far back as to Augustus at first perhaps. If they just went back to the mid-300s split between the Eastern and Western Empire after the assassination of the co-ruler in the West (forget the exact situation, it's where
Great Invasions starts), they'd have a natural range for synching into CK2 eventually.
Part of the problem of doing that would be how to deal with the relative tech levels. EU4's tech system is different enough from CK2 (right? am I recalling that rightly?) that, paradoxically (... no pun intended) the system can be ported over more easily.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 04, 2015, 01:56:05 PM
Upon closer inspection, the image does not appear to be from Paradox. It may be just from the article on the wargamer speculating as to the type of game.
That was fake?! Man, I about passed out with glee until I saw this retraction.
We should know more pretty soon. If you are a Twitch type of person, they are supposed to be live-feeding their Gamescon event.
Quote from: JasonPratt on August 05, 2015, 11:44:13 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 04, 2015, 04:52:07 PM
I expect them to do a pre-CK2 Roman one at some point, if not literally EU Rome 2.
Yeah, though not as far back as to Augustus at first perhaps. If they just went back to the mid-300s split between the Eastern and Western Empire after the assassination of the co-ruler in the West (forget the exact situation, it's where Great Invasions starts), they'd have a natural range for synching into CK2 eventually.
Part of the problem of doing that would be how to deal with the relative tech levels. EU4's tech system is different enough from CK2 (right? am I recalling that rightly?) that, paradoxically (... no pun intended) the system can be ported over more easily.
Well... CK2 and EU4 have
many differences under the hood, but they still have an official save game converter to continue one from the other.
There has been some rumors of an EU Rome 2 for awhile. Even if that isn't going to be announced right now, it would make sense for Pdox to create a new one that starts off during the Early Republic and run for awhile. It would still leave plenty of time period to DLC the shit out of us between whatever they use as a stopping point and the earliest CK2 start date, plus a converter. :)
If they did make a Rome 2, I would hope that they fill the initial offering out much better than the last one. With their new found quality, I have no doubt it is possible.
Looks like Steam leaked early and someone grabbed screen shots. Space game; and tomorrow is formalities and hopefully some decent details on this and HoI4
My guess is a space game. But how cool would it be if it was a Civ game.
This link supposedly has the images captured off of Steam. Not sure if they are valid, but if so it looks like Paradox is trying to imitate Matrix's Distant World with flashier graphics.
http://www.gamezone.com/news/steam-leaks-paradox-development-studios-new-space-exploration-game-3422761
Quote from: Bison on August 05, 2015, 05:45:48 PM
This link supposedly has the images captured off of Steam. Not sure if they are valid, but if so it looks like Paradox is trying to imitate Matrix's Distant World with flashier graphics.
http://www.gamezone.com/news/steam-leaks-paradox-development-studios-new-space-exploration-game-3422761
Let's just hope it manages to do something innovative with the space 4x genre the way Distant Worlds did, and doesn't just wind up being yet another iteration barely distinguishable from StarDrive, Satr Ruler, Gal Civ, Endless Space, etc etc etc
Have to say, some of those screenies, while very pretty, look an awful lot like StarDrive2 and Gal Civ 3...
Hmm, if it's Paradox and space 4x it's insta-purchase for me. :D
Quote from: bbmike on August 05, 2015, 05:54:25 PM
Hmm, if it's Paradox and space 4x it's insta-purchase for me. :D
Same here. Like many others, I've been badgering them to make a game set in space for ages. If they imbue such a game with the level of detail and complexity we've come to expect from Paradox, well...I'll have fapping material for a long time.
Bigger pictures here
https://imgur.com/a/wAJgu#uOWK0iI
Quote from: Bison on August 05, 2015, 05:45:48 PM
This link supposedly has the images captured off of Steam. Not sure if they are valid, but if so it looks like Paradox is trying to imitate Matrix's Distant World with flashier graphics.
http://www.gamezone.com/news/steam-leaks-paradox-development-studios-new-space-exploration-game-3422761
If true, I would love that! However, seeing how we already have Distant Worlds, I would have rather had a Classical era version of CK2. Really surprised we haven't gotten that yet.
Quote from: RooksBailey on August 05, 2015, 07:53:59 PM
Quote from: Bison on August 05, 2015, 05:45:48 PM
This link supposedly has the images captured off of Steam. Not sure if they are valid, but if so it looks like Paradox is trying to imitate Matrix's Distant World with flashier graphics.
http://www.gamezone.com/news/steam-leaks-paradox-development-studios-new-space-exploration-game-3422761
If true, I would love that! However, seeing how we already have Distant Worlds, I would have rather had a Classical era version of CK2. Really surprised we haven't gotten that yet.
Mega-ditto; despite the fact that I was feeling pretty hype about the idea of a remake of
Emperor of the Fading Suns, my interest has waned. We already have
Distant Worlds: Warhammer 40K Edition and
Distant Worlds: Star Trek Edition, so... eh.
Not that we don't have plenty of Rome games, too; but I was hoping for a better iteration coming than the previously released ascended fanboy project. Oh well, they'll get around to it eventually. I don't begrudge anyone having fun with this instead.
Nef, sad to say you're probably right that it would make sense for them to start EURome2 back in 1st century days, so they can DLC us coming and going, eventually linking up to CK2 (which is about halfway back into the Dark Age currently), and going back to Rome's founding. Thus setting up EUGreece.
There's a Distant Worlds WH40K??
From the gamescon announcement it sounds very much like CK2 + Vicky 2 in space. I love the idea of civilizations whose opinions change over time like CK2 characters do. Populations can form different internal factions that you will have to deal with.
From what little they said it sounds like DW may have some competition for my favorite space 4x.
Website is now up: http://www.stellarisgame.com/ (http://www.stellarisgame.com/)
Take my money!
Quote from: bbmike on August 06, 2015, 03:37:59 PM
Website is now up: http://www.stellarisgame.com/ (http://www.stellarisgame.com/)
Take my money!
:o
:smitten:
Just checked it out. I'm in for this, as long as I don't have to play the alien that looks like a vagina.
Here are the bullet points from the web page. I hope there is more.
•Discovery Events – Emergent Storytelling.
•Deep & Varied Exploration.
•Enormous procedural star systems, containing thousands of planets.
•Numerous playable species, each with their own traits and engineering styles.
•Vast number of Unique Random Species.
•Advanced Diplomacy system.
•Ship Designer (even civilian ships can be customized).
•Stunning space visuals.
Looks scrumptious.
Quote from: Gusington on August 06, 2015, 04:07:16 PM
Just checked it out. I'm in for this, as long as I don't have to play the alien that looks like a vagina.
That's too funny.
This is it, lads. This is The One!
Going to get that one... O0...
Busy times for space strategists...Master of Orion, Endless Space 2 and now this!
What is interesting is that they all work on a system with starlanes which is not what i prefer.
They need to make a new, joystick driven fuggin X-Wing, damn it!
Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 06, 2015, 05:31:57 PM
This is it, lads. This is The One!
If anyone can pull off The One Space 4X To Rule Them All, it's probably Pdox.
That said, this game is promising an awful lot. It's exciting, but I'm skeptical. StarRuler 2, StarDrive 2, Gal Civ 3 -- all have left me pretty disappointed. Distant Worlds will be hard to dethrone.
If it follows the typical paradox development, it'll be 3 expansions and 50 micro dlc for it to be competed. The good thing is wait a couple of months after release and it'll be 50% off.
Quote from: Bison on August 06, 2015, 08:08:10 PM
If it follows the typical paradox development, it'll be 3 expansions and 50 micro dlc for it to be competed. The good thing is wait a couple of months after release and it'll be 50% off.
Or a couple of years and pick everything up for 75% off.
...an interesting write-up at RPS (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/06/stellaris-paradox-strategy-game/).
And it already has a Steam page (http://store.steampowered.com/app/281990).
Quote from: steve58 on August 07, 2015, 08:31:12 AM
...an interesting write-up at RPS (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/06/stellaris-paradox-strategy-game/).
And it already has a Steam page (http://store.steampowered.com/app/281990).
Already has a steam page and 11 people are playing it presently too...
Quote from: Gusington on August 06, 2015, 02:43:10 PM
There's a Distant Worlds WH40K??
There's a very ambitious mod for it, yep!
Quote from: JasonPratt on August 07, 2015, 11:23:25 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 06, 2015, 02:43:10 PM
There's a Distant Worlds WH40K??
There's a very ambitious mod for it, yep!
I've heard the biggest problem with the mod is that the AI is incapable of playing to each race's strengths and weaknesses.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 07, 2015, 08:55:19 AM
Quote from: steve58 on August 07, 2015, 08:31:12 AM
...an interesting write-up at RPS (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/06/stellaris-paradox-strategy-game/).
And it already has a Steam page (http://store.steampowered.com/app/281990).
Already has a steam page and 11 people are playing it presently too...
Pdox does their Betas through Steam.
At least they did with CK2, so it's probably not changed since then. However, the Beta for that one was a separate Library entry not listed on the Steam store pages so.. *shrug* Just devs?
I've seen at least one dev playing it on Steam, so yeah, maybe they all are.
Could be a closed Beta
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 07, 2015, 12:30:26 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on August 07, 2015, 11:23:25 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 06, 2015, 02:43:10 PM
There's a Distant Worlds WH40K??
There's a very ambitious mod for it, yep!
I've heard the biggest problem with the mod is that the AI is incapable of playing to each race's strengths and weaknesses.
That seems very plausible. Not least because I doubt the races / factions were originally designed in such a way that they can be properly slotted into various 4x roles.
Quote from: JasonPratt on August 10, 2015, 11:13:28 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 07, 2015, 12:30:26 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on August 07, 2015, 11:23:25 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 06, 2015, 02:43:10 PM
There's a Distant Worlds WH40K??
There's a very ambitious mod for it, yep!
I've heard the biggest problem with the mod is that the AI is incapable of playing to each race's strengths and weaknesses.
That seems very plausible. Not least because I doubt the races / factions were originally designed in such a way that they can be properly slotted into various 4x roles.
Right. I mean, how to you develop an AI that acts believably like the Tyranids. There is no diplomacy, no economy, no government or domestic opinion that can lead to reduced productivity or rebellion. There is only consumption. Never ending expansion and consumption.
Same with Orks. They live only to fight, and when there is nobody else to fight, they fight amongst themselves. Very hard behaviors to model believably with AI. Especially in a mod that is confined by the base game system.
Hell, even the Imperium and the Eldar fight among themselves. Much moreso a Chaos faction. The Necrons don't, but they're more like the Tyrannids: a lot of the standard 4x tools just don't apply.
The Dark Eldar (pirates) and the Tau would seem to fit best. O0