http://www.matrixgames.com/products/589/details/Command:.Northern.Inferno
First day buy for me...
This is largely going to depend on price for me.
Honestly, the editor is so robust and there have been so many excellent scenarios released that I see no reason to buy a paid expansion that simply adds more scenarios, without adding something else or building upon the existing game.
The Matrix site says it's a stand alone expansion set in 1975. +1 what JH wrote.
Quote from: Rayfer on September 16, 2015, 02:50:01 PM
The Matrix site says it's a stand alone expansion set in 1975. +1 what JH wrote.
+2
Quote from: mirth on September 16, 2015, 02:51:34 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on September 16, 2015, 02:50:01 PM
The Matrix site says it's a stand alone expansion set in 1975. +1 what JH wrote.
+2
+3.
I see a trend.
Now.....maybe there is one and I don't know about it but give me a WWII expansion and we might have a deal.
Quote from: Rayfer on September 16, 2015, 02:50:01 PM
The Matrix site says it's a stand alone expansion set in 1975.
If you already have CMANO it will act as DLC.
Perhaps this expansion is limited by license. So if you want the full package then pay and get the license. We will see soon enough. The licensing has changed. Maybe for this reason.
As usual...Matrix has no price listed ::)
Oh agree with JH about the editor.
Regards
So... this "DLC" is a whole standalone re-release?
I understand previous owners will get a discount, thus putting this in the realm of DLC/expansion. Hopefully with a DLC price.
However, I'm wondering two things right now:
1) Will those of us who don't buy this "DLC" still have their original $80 CMANO program updated? Or will we be forced to purchase this new standalone, discount or no, in order to receive future updates?
Because if it's a new standalone CMANO, I get the feeling the original CMANO version will be left as is.
2) If #1 turns out as feared, will this be common practice every time a new expansion is added?
I kept the original high-priced title in the hopes that extensive updates & (notably) UI improvements would be continually added while I let it simmer on my digital shelf. I'd like to see it mature some more, but the above gives me cause for concern.
Quote from: Nefaro on September 16, 2015, 04:13:22 PM
So.. this "DLC" is a whole standalone re-release?
I believe If you do not own CMANO then it is stand-alone.
If you own CMANO it installs as DLC
Quote from: Nefaro on September 16, 2015, 04:13:22 PM
1) Will those of us who don't buy this "DLC" still have their original $80 CMANO program updated? Or will we be forced to purchase this new standalone, discount or no, in order to receive future updates?
I believe the updates will continue for CMANO as it is the "main" programme. The engine if you will.
Quote from: Nefaro on September 16, 2015, 04:13:22 PM
2) If #1 turns out as feared, will this be common practice every time a new expansion is added?
I think they may be testing the water ::)
The standalone expansion might not include the full CMANO. Not enough details. A price might be an indicator but being Matrix that is not published until it's for sale ???
This is what I believe. We have a member of DOW that is on the BETA but NDA.... Anyway I have asked him to register here :)
Hope it is helpful
Regards
Perhaps I assumed wrongly....that this stand alone expansion did not include the full original game. Or does it?
it's very early to say anything, in my opinion, the engine will be the same, but DLC scenarios will be the only one loadable and licensed in DLC standalone version, while a whole CMANO install without DLC will not be able to open the DLC scenarios. if you will have both, you will be able to open all the scenarios, standalone full, standalone DLC, and Community based from the same platform.
I reccomend caution in the reactions, given that nothing has been clarified from the devs.
For what is regarding updates, and knowing the devs, i'd say updates will NEVER be a problem, since devs are present and always working for us very actively.
Quote from: Rayfer on September 16, 2015, 04:30:40 PM
Perhaps I assumed wrongly....that this stand alone expansion did not include the full original game. Or does it?
I think its a stand-alone product. It will have the CMANO engine, but not the original scenarios. This isn't a "top up", its more a separate product. Like CMANO 1.5. If that makes any sense.
Quote from: spelk on September 16, 2015, 05:22:16 PM
I think its a stand-alone product. It will have the CMANO engine, but not the original scenarios. This isn't a "top up", its more a separate product. Like CMANO 1.5. If that makes any sense.
It is stand-alone. However if installed with an existing CMANO install then it behaves as DLC.
Licensing may restrict use of all features (CMANO scenarios etc.) when installed as stand-alone.
We will find out soon enough.
Regards
I'm already sceptical.
Matrix releases are often fraught with ambiguities :(
I don't know...sounds cool. It says it is a 25 scenario campaign; so if it is dynamic in that you carry your forces from scenario to scenario with all damage and supplies, I'm in.
My guess is it will be a cheaper alternative (i.e. no editor or ability to use user scenarios) to the full CMANO sim where you can play a campaign to experience the full gamut of what CMANO has to offer without forking out $80. I reckon it will go for $20 -30.
Quote from: mikeck on September 16, 2015, 07:54:08 PM
I don't know...sounds cool. It says it is a 25 scenario campaign; so if it is dynamic in that you carry your forces from scenario to scenario with all damage and supplies, I'm in.
exactly , if its just a scenario pack , no dynamic campaign iam not interested.
and i hope developing this scenario pack did not have taken noteworthy time away from evolving main CMANO further and bring in new features like for example a kind of first installment of a 'land-unit AI'
Quote from: MikeGER on September 17, 2015, 01:31:35 AM
exactly , if its just a scenario pack , no dynamic campaign iam not interested.
and i hope developing this scenario pack did not have taken noteworthy time away from evolving main CMANO further and bring in new features like for example a kind of first installment of a 'land-unit AI'
Pretty sure the campaign is not dynamic. Just linked missions.
Quote from: MikeGER on September 17, 2015, 01:31:35 AM
and i hope developing this scenario pack did not have taken noteworthy time away from evolving main CMANO further and bring in new features like for example a kind of first installment of a 'land-unit AI'
I believe it was a very talented individual who created the scenarios (Campaign). So no real drain on developing the core product.
None of the above is confirmed though so....
Regards
As long as the original standalone program will continue getting updates, then all is well and I may eventually consider purchasing DLCs & wotnot.
Quote from: Nefaro on September 17, 2015, 08:52:08 AM
As long as the original standalone program will continue getting updates, then all is well and I may eventually consider purchasing DLCs & wotnot.
I am confident the excellent Dev support will continue for CMANO.
Regards
Quote from: MikeGER on September 17, 2015, 01:31:35 AM
Quote from: mikeck on September 16, 2015, 07:54:08 PM
I don't know...sounds cool. It says it is a 25 scenario campaign; so if it is dynamic in that you carry your forces from scenario to scenario with all damage and supplies, I'm in.
exactly , if its just a scenario pack , no dynamic campaign i am not interested.
and i hope developing this scenario pack did not have taken noteworthy time away from evolving main CMANO further and bring in new features like for example a kind of first installment of a 'land-unit AI'
Since the NDA still applies I can't say much about the DLC itself but I think I can say that no, developing the DLC did not take away from development of the game itself. Over the course of developing the DLC several patches where released. There where some things that the campaign needed implemented into the main game but that did not take away from other development.
Quote from: Nefaro on September 16, 2015, 04:13:22 PM
1) Will those of us who don't buy this "DLC" still have their original $80 CMANO program updated? Or will we be forced to purchase this new standalone, discount or no, in order to receive future updates?
The v1.09 release is the "game engine" update, and is provided for free just like all previous updates. The NI DLC will be bundled together with the update and can be unlocked by purchasing the relevant license.
A general observation.
NI targets two broad user groups: Interested potential customers who haven't yet pulled the trigger, and our existing user base.
Arguably the #1 "semi-negative" feedback we have received across the 'net ever since CMANO was launched has been a variation of: "This looks very interesting, but I'm not prepared to spend [full price] to give it a try. Give me a free or cheap demo / limited version and I'd gladly take a shot at it."
So now we are doing exactly that.
NI, in standalone form (no prior purchase of CMANO), is the CMANO game engine you know and love, with the Northern Inferno campaign (15 ass-kicking scenarios) and a number of tutorials. Its price will be a fraction of the full CMANO license, and some of the full-CMANO features will be disabled. Standalone customers who are satisfied with NI and want to get more out of CMANO can then upgrade to the full version to unlock all features.
So, we're doing our part. We'll see if the undecided folks, claiming that the steep price is all that's holding them back, will do theirs.
For our existing users, NI offers for the first time a coherent-storyline campaign accompanied by custom multimedia content. Paul has done an amazing job with the campaign story and his scenarios show why he's still one of the top-tier scen authors. We got a great kick out of them during testing and we're confident you will too.
The market's reception of this model will obviously inform our future plans for the commercial version of CMANO.
Quote from: Dimitris on September 18, 2015, 04:51:29 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 16, 2015, 04:13:22 PM
1) Will those of us who don't buy this "DLC" still have their original $80 CMANO program updated? Or will we be forced to purchase this new standalone, discount or no, in order to receive future updates?
The v1.09 is the "game engine" update, and is provided for free just like all previous updates. The NI DLC will be bundled together with the update and can be unlocked by purchasing the relevant license.
Thanks Dimitris.
Sounds like as is well. O0
Ok so NI is set of scenarios. As stand-alone, it is intended for new people to test out the game. While for existing players, this is seen as a mission pack.
I suppose the cost of entry won't be that large which is fair.
Quote from: Dimitris on September 18, 2015, 05:09:14 PM
For our existing users, NI offers for the first time a coherent-storyline campaign accompanied by custom multimedia content. Paul has done an amazing job with the campaign story and his scenarios show why he's still one of the top-tier scen authors. We got a great kick out of them during testing and we're confident you will too.
The market's reception of this model will obviously inform our future plans for the commercial version of CMANO.
Thanks Dimitris, this will be a definite purchase for me. Your comment about the value added of a coherent story-line I think is right on. It's something that has been provided by some in the community like Gunner98 and others, and it adds a ton to the experience IMHO. I'm looking forward to playing it.
My gaming experience isn't particularly broad, so take my opinion for what it's worth, but it seems that this is one of the best-supported games out there post release. Updates are regularly provided free of charge and the devs are almost instantly responsive to issues and suggestions. Have a little faith that they are going to do right by their customers just like they have been from the beginning! :)
Well, isn't this lovely for you all?!
Where's the Linux port?! :'(
Interesting you should mention that, considering some of the folks we're currently talking with.
ORLY!!!
Tell me more!
Sorry, I was on my phone at the time of the previous post and couldn't fully express myself. I meant, of course, to say:
ORLY!!!
TELL ME MORE!!!!
I think it's time for someone to make a U.S. V Russia over Syrian airspace scenario
I think putin is working on it.
Wait for it.
For everyone who missed the announcement during my stream yesterday, I'll be streaming Northern Inferno next Saturday!
Northern Inferno is coming on October 22nd! - http://store.steampowered.com//app/397180
I really should get around to learning the base game...that I bought during the SUMMER SALE...
This is entirely Doug's fault. He is to blame.
Start from here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3607586
Quote from: Dimitris on October 15, 2015, 12:14:17 PM
Start from here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3607586
This site helped me a lot...Baloogan Campaign Wiki page http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/Main_Page
Need to get crackin' Cyrano. :knuppel2: More jeep killing goodness in on the way next month! :smitten:
The scenarios of Northern Inferno: http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=4000
Northern Inferno
OUT NOW
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/589/details/Command:.Northern.Inferno.
Northern Inferno is also be streamed twice today! Matrix/Slitherine are streaming now on their Twitch Channel (http://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup)!
And I will be streaming at 6pm PST/9pm EDT over on mine (http://www.twitch.tv/Kushan04)
Double Team: Get CMANO and NI together and save 23% until October 29!
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FIIsPXnX.jpg&hash=bde75e9b5638a5c6e70a247a9eb6810213d83552) (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/80730/)
Quote from: Dimitris on September 30, 2015, 07:27:49 AM
Interesting you should mention that, considering some of the folks we're currently talking with.
Dimitris, might this be a reference to that chap who popped up on the Steam forum with a totally redesigned UI? I read somewhere that one of the major roadblocks to porting CMANO is its dependence on Windows libs to draw the UI.
Wow...love that Ui design...hoping some of those concepts make it.
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 26, 2015, 06:38:38 PM
Quote from: Dimitris on September 30, 2015, 07:27:49 AM
Interesting you should mention that, considering some of the folks we're currently talking with.
Dimitris, might this be a reference to that chap who popped up on the Steam forum with a totally redesigned UI? I read somewhere that one of the major roadblocks to porting CMANO is its dependence on Windows libs to draw the UI.
No, completely different case. There are.... certain people..... with heavy Linux iron at their disposal.
Northern Inferno review at Armchair General: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/command-northern-inferno-pc-game-review.htm