GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Capn Darwin on October 06, 2015, 11:35:08 AM

Title: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Capn Darwin on October 06, 2015, 11:35:08 AM
Over ten years ago, an incredible game brought to life the complexity and the destructive power of the War that never was, the possible massive conflict in Europe between Soviet Union and NATO. This game was Flashpoint Germany. From the very beginning the game impressed critics. You felt the pressure to have your regiment under control, dealing with air strikes, minefields, high-tech missiles and even with your own radio traffic (which could have revealed your HQ's position forcing you to keep it moving)!

More recently On Target Simulations, the developers of Flashpoint Germany, brought us their newest masterpiece, Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, a whole new and much more advanced simulation with very realistic modern warfare gameplay.
Now we are pleased to announce a new Battle Pack that combines the best of both games.

Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged is a new Battle pack for Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm which allows veterans of the series and novices alike to play an advanced version of the all-time classic Flashpoint Germany. This upcoming release is now entering beta and we are looking for testers! Alongside this release, we have a big update for Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm coming as well.

Now the original strategy masterpiece has been brought up to date with the new Flashpoint Campaigns system, and Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged will be ready soon!

Stay tuned for further updates!

Here is the official product page : http://www.matrixgames.com/products/592/details/FlashpointCampaigns:GermanyReforged
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: -budd- on October 06, 2015, 12:09:12 PM
O...I see  O0..sold. l'll be looking for that after action window dressing ;D
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2015, 12:09:23 PM
Excellent news. Love how the maps in the screenshots depict elevations.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Barthheart on October 06, 2015, 01:43:21 PM
Woohoo! Great news.  O0
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Cyrano on October 06, 2015, 03:38:36 PM
Sincere congratulations!
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: mirth on October 06, 2015, 04:00:47 PM
Excellent!  O0
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Dammit Carl! on October 06, 2015, 05:15:15 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2015, 12:09:23 PM
Excellent news. Love how the maps in the screenshots depict elevations.

Seconded on both points; I don't recall ever seeing something that well done on a 2-D computer game before.

'Tis a fine time to be of the groggy set!
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 06, 2015, 05:46:51 PM
if only they'd bothered mentioning this on the GrogCast!  :tickedoff:
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: mirth on October 06, 2015, 05:50:47 PM
So I shouldn't bother listening then?
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 06, 2015, 05:53:28 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 06, 2015, 05:50:47 PM
So I shouldn't bother listening then?

just kidding - they announce it ;)
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: mirth on October 06, 2015, 05:54:49 PM
There ya go. That's how you tease it.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: mirth on October 06, 2015, 05:55:31 PM
And yes, that's what I usually say to Star.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Capn Darwin on October 06, 2015, 06:42:16 PM
Yes Rob and I did a Grogcast interview on Sunday. We haven't announced anything yet because we have not been told when it would air and we knew they had taped other sessions ahead of us.  :coolsmiley:

So all sorts of OTS/Red Storm goodness abounds! :smitten:
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Panman on October 06, 2015, 08:12:10 PM
Day 1 purchase for me   :D
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Airborne Rifles on October 06, 2015, 08:41:46 PM
Great news!
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Kushan on October 06, 2015, 09:21:47 PM
While I will  likely be purchasing day 1, as someone who never played the original Flashpoint Germany, is there anything special or unique about the FG scenarios that's not already covered in the crop of FCRS scenarios or is it just more NATO vs the USSR (not that is a bad thing)?
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Pinetree on October 06, 2015, 11:08:04 PM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 06, 2015, 05:15:15 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2015, 12:09:23 PM
Excellent news. Love how the maps in the screenshots depict elevations.

Seconded on both points; I don't recall ever seeing something that well done on a 2-D computer game before.

'Tis a fine time to be of the groggy set!

They're looking a lot more like my old hand-drawn ones now, which is pretty damn cool considering they're computer generated.   O0
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Thomasew on October 07, 2015, 08:28:13 AM
Post deleted ..  :)

Read the answer in Capn Darwin's original post ..  :)

It was in reference to version 2.0.10, .. which is a requirement for the Scenario Pack.

Cheers
Tom
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Capn Darwin on October 07, 2015, 08:35:28 AM
No problem. Just to cover the question. We will release the 2.0.10 update just ahead of Germany Reforged going live.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Mad Russian on October 07, 2015, 12:07:19 PM
Quote from: Kushan on October 06, 2015, 09:21:47 PM
While I will  likely be purchasing day 1, as someone who never played the original Flashpoint Germany, is there anything special or unique about the FG scenarios that's not already covered in the crop of FCRS scenarios or is it just more NATO vs the USSR (not that is a bad thing)?

Well, yes and no. It's just more NATO versus the USSR. That's mostly what the Cold War gone HOT is all about. There are no new countries in this scenario pack. Those will be along with Southern Storm where 4 new countries will be added in.

What you get are 4 redone maps and a new one. The new map is of larger size than our previous maps.

What it really does is Grandfather the Flashpoint Germany game, the first game in the series to the current level of game play. So that you can play the old original scenarios with the new game mechanics. The pack includes the old scenarios as created. With their OOB's untouched. Then just to make it more interesting we added revised scenarios to reflect the considerable historical research done on the combatants and what they would have theoretically used. As close as we can get to the actual forces without them actually shooting at each other.

This pack has been in development for months. We are pretty sure you'll find lots more hours of FPC gameplay with the old fights given new life!!!

Good Hunting.

MR
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: ComradeP on October 13, 2015, 12:37:14 PM
It's been a while since I played Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm. No particular reason, just moved to other wargames after having to format the PC.

This looks like an interesting package, although I guess it has more appeal to people who bought the original Flashpoint Campaigns and want to see what the scenarios are like with the new and improved standard than to people who truly want something new, due to there being no new countries until Southern Storm.

Does the pack include only standalone scenarios or can some of them be linked into a campaign?
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: jomni on October 13, 2015, 07:31:40 PM
What we lost from the original Flashpoint is the ability to fine tune SOP engagement doctrines.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: -budd- on November 09, 2015, 11:43:49 PM
New AAR posted.     http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3956942
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Zulu1966 on November 11, 2015, 02:34:24 PM
Must say this is looking good. Like the size of maps... Are there many that size in the game ?
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Capn Darwin on November 12, 2015, 08:12:45 AM
News of the day and it is good...  :smitten:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3965999

Enjoy some Tanksgiving early!  O0
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Kushan on November 12, 2015, 11:56:08 AM
Downloading Germany Reforged now. Guess I know what I'll be streaming on my twitch channel Saturday :)
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Capn Darwin on November 12, 2015, 12:25:52 PM
Kushan, what time is the stream? I will be happy to post on Matrix and Facebook to let folks know.  O0
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Philippe on November 12, 2015, 12:27:55 PM
Where do I  find my serial number if I bought the game on Steam? 

I want to register it with Matrix and the black pop-up with serial numbers isn't staying on the screen for more than a micro-second when I launch the game. 

Shift-tab doesn't seem to do anything even though I have the Steam overlay checked under the properties tab in the Game Library.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Kushan on November 12, 2015, 01:12:16 PM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on November 12, 2015, 12:25:52 PM
Kushan, what time is the stream? I will be happy to post on Matrix and Facebook to let folks know.  O0

Saturday, 11am PST which I think is 19:00 GMT.

Thanks!
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Capn Darwin on November 12, 2015, 01:14:41 PM
Steam does not have a serial number and thusly there is no way to register the game with Matrix. If you have a Matrix version with a serial number, there is a way to register with Steam. It is a function of how Steam and Matrix track sold versions. If you have any other questions, please contact Matrix Games support or even Steam support. I am not aware of any "fix" for this situation at the moment.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Barthheart on November 12, 2015, 01:21:52 PM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on November 12, 2015, 08:12:45 AM
News of the day and it is good...  :smitten:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3965999

Enjoy some Tanksgiving early!  O0

Congrats OTS!  O0
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Philippe on November 12, 2015, 01:56:24 PM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on November 12, 2015, 01:14:41 PM
Steam does not have a serial number and thusly there is no way to register the game with Matrix. If you have a Matrix version with a serial number, there is a way to register with Steam. It is a function of how Steam and Matrix track sold versions. If you have any other questions, please contact Matrix Games support or even Steam support. I am not aware of any "fix" for this situation at the moment.

Not the answer I wanted to hear, but thanks for answering so quickly.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Capn Darwin on November 12, 2015, 03:16:23 PM
Philippe, we have asked the question like many others and it's the mechanics of the situation. I hope in the future they get the information flowing both ways. Enjoy the game!
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Cyrano on November 12, 2015, 05:08:54 PM
Hey...wait one damn minute...

BARTH, DAMMIT, that's just taunting...and LOW...
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Barthheart on November 12, 2015, 06:02:52 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on November 12, 2015, 05:08:54 PM
Hey...wait one damn minute...

BARTH, DAMMIT, that's just taunting...and LOW...

That's OK, when my preview of DC3 comes out yer gonna owe me another punch to the head.  O0
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: IronX on November 12, 2015, 06:11:29 PM
I guess worth mentioning is that the price of the base game is currently 20% off. Like other Matrix titles found on Steam, it's a good deal cheaper there, which I don't really understand.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Philippe on November 12, 2015, 06:13:23 PM
Is there any way to get the Flashpoint screen and playing area to cover the entire screen ?

I used to use a desert sand color scheme that worked with just about everything, but when I changed computers I went with semi-transparent blue.

That's not a problem for every other game I play because they always hide the entire viewing area.

But for some reason Flashpoint leaves the bar across the bottom uncovered.

Nice because it allows me to keep track of the time, but not so nice because the color of the bar clashes with the color of what's inside of the playing area.

Are there any fixes for this that I've overlooked?  I really don't feel like re-configuring the way my computer looks just for one game.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Al on November 12, 2015, 10:01:51 PM
Congratulations - I'll be getting this over the weekend.   O0
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: GibbyG on November 12, 2015, 10:30:15 PM
Quote from: IronX on November 12, 2015, 06:11:29 PM
I guess worth mentioning is that the price of the base game is currently 20% off. Like other Matrix titles found on Steam, it's a good deal cheaper there, which I don't really understand.

Isn't it $17.99 both places?
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Bison on November 12, 2015, 11:29:28 PM
Well another game goes on the list to buy.  I've recently have been playing FCRS for my current wargame fix.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: IronX on November 13, 2015, 12:46:12 AM
Quote from: challerain on November 12, 2015, 10:30:15 PM
Quote from: IronX on November 12, 2015, 06:11:29 PM
I guess worth mentioning is that the price of the base game is currently 20% off. Like other Matrix titles found on Steam, it's a good deal cheaper there, which I don't really understand.

Isn't it $17.99 both places?

The expansion, yes. But I meant the base game, Red Storm. The price difference on the two sites, while relatively small, is noticeable.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Bison on November 13, 2015, 07:52:03 AM
Quote from: IronX on November 13, 2015, 12:46:12 AM
Quote from: challerain on November 12, 2015, 10:30:15 PM
Quote from: IronX on November 12, 2015, 06:11:29 PM
I guess worth mentioning is that the price of the base game is currently 20% off. Like other Matrix titles found on Steam, it's a good deal cheaper there, which I don't really understand.

Isn't it $17.99 both places?

The expansion, yes. But I meant the base game, Red Storm. The price difference on the two sites, while relatively small, is noticeable.

Of course if you buy directly from Matrix, you get both a DRM-free matrix version and the steam version.   Steam only gives you the Steam version. 
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Wolfe1759 on November 13, 2015, 01:10:52 PM
Here in the UK it is usually cheaper to buy through Matrix than Steam e.g. FC:Germany Reforged - Matrix £12.60 Steam £13.49
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: IronX on November 13, 2015, 01:19:37 PM
Interesting. I'm getting C$56.94 on Matrix and C$43.99 on Steam. I'd prefer to give my money directly to Matrix, but them savings can't be beat.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Capn Darwin on November 13, 2015, 02:22:02 PM
You can thank Steam for doubling the sale discount. Hopefully get fixed soon.  :tickedoff:
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: panzerde on November 13, 2015, 08:50:50 PM
Purchased, and getting ready to play. Congrats OTS!

Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: GroggyGrognard on November 14, 2015, 12:24:58 AM
The Redstorm update alone is fantastic. This is hands down one of the best all around wargames in recent years.

Looking forward to Germany Reforged soon.. 17 scenarios..are you kidding me!

Groggy

Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Capn Darwin on November 14, 2015, 07:57:05 AM
Groggy and other Grogs, the update was shipped out missing the new/enhanced map marker artwork. You can grab the zip file over at the Matrix site to get them now or wait until we get a hot fix rolled out in the coming week.

As for Scenarios there are the 17, but from both sides and HTH setup, plus alternate setups for the scenarios, plus a couple new ones and a new large map. So many ways to enjoy the new DLC.  O0
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: -budd- on November 14, 2015, 08:26:16 AM
Very customer friendly price Capn, great value, Thanks.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: panzerde on November 14, 2015, 12:51:47 PM
The FP Germany scenarios are really well done. These were great scenarios in the original game, and the conversion to the new engine is just beautiful. I'm really impressed. They keep the feel of the original game but with the improvements of the new engine.


I'm also REALLY liking the new map markers. The little brewed up AFVs are a really nice touch!
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Kushan on November 14, 2015, 01:55:55 PM
Twitch stream is now up at http://www.twitch.tv/kushan04/ (http://www.twitch.tv/kushan04/)
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Mad Russian on November 14, 2015, 02:10:30 PM
Very nice Twitch stream.

Thanks for highlighting the game.

The scale is 500 meters per hex.

Good Hunting.

MR
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Kushan on December 12, 2015, 01:42:22 PM
Streaming Germany Reforged again today at 11am PST/18:00 GMT @ twitch.tv/kushan04/ (http://www.twitch.tv/kushan04/)
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: OJsDad on January 26, 2017, 09:33:24 PM
Has the On Target team thought about do a FP game for the air war.  I'm thinking something along the lines of GMT's upcoming Red Storm.  Perhaps the FP engine won't be good for that type of battle.  But if it could, I think it would be a great hit. 
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Capn Darwin on January 26, 2017, 09:49:43 PM
Right now we are all about Southern Storm and the new game engine features. We can start looking at other ideas once that is done.  O0
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Surtur on January 27, 2017, 05:34:29 AM
Really looking forward to Southern Storm guys, good luck! :)
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Cyrano on January 27, 2017, 12:16:11 PM
There should be moar jeepz.

Please.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Capn Darwin on January 27, 2017, 01:29:20 PM
Cyrano, for you my friend, I will have to make a scenario with AH-64s and nothing but enemy jeeps and trucks packed with Jack and Peach schnapps for you to maul.  :bd:
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: mirth on January 27, 2017, 01:31:03 PM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on January 27, 2017, 01:29:20 PM
nothing but enemy jeeps and trucks packed with Jack and Peach schnapps for you to maul

I think that constitutes a war crime.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: OJsDad on January 27, 2017, 01:31:08 PM
Capn D.  Thanks for the response.  Didn't realize you working on Southern Storm.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: OJsDad on February 18, 2017, 09:32:42 AM
Help a novice tank commander out here.

I always thought a hull down position was one of the best positions that a tank could have.  Even better if in a wooded area.  Playing Soviet Main Attack Force against Barthheart, I lost 2 companies of Abrams that were sitting 2 elevations above a valley to his charging T-80's.  I've seen this in some solo games in the past when I had a tank platoon at the base of a hill and t-80's come charging over, but had always assumed that it was because they were on the move and not setting up to defend.

Help a novice out here.

Thanks.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Barthheart on February 18, 2017, 01:59:24 PM
 :D
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: -budd- on February 18, 2017, 02:21:24 PM
Are your units shooting at him? if your shooting at him i have no idea you should be a very small target but if your not maybe the gun cant traverse that low of angle to shoot. 
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: Father Ted on February 18, 2017, 06:58:09 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 18, 2017, 01:59:24 PM
:D

Cruel man.

Anyway, I'm not sure that tanks-on-a-hill is necessarily a good thing.  Don't know how the game models armour, but the underneath is obviously weaker, and if, as -budd- says you cannot depress the elevation to engage the people shooting up at you then you're in trouble.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: OJsDad on February 20, 2017, 10:26:17 AM
The tanks weren't firing due range at first.  By the time the t-80's were in range, they'd taken such damage from the ATGM's that the t-80s carry that they were ineffective.  Which, given that some of the platoons were in wooded hexes, should have been next to impossible to been seen. 

Ted, that's why I'm asking here, just wanting to understand how the game is modeled. 

Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: iron mike golf on February 20, 2017, 01:02:00 PM
I don't have enough information to get to the numbers involved, so let me try to explain the factors that contribute to your situation.

1. Your unit's posture/movement mode matters (Hold/Screen/Deliberate Move, etc)
2. Terrain effects: this is run by the Visibility Hindrance of the hex, which affects both spotting chances as well as lethality of fires.  For woods, this is basically the tree density. It varies from hex to hex. You get additional protection from being dug in (Hold posture for 30 minutes or more) or occupying an Improved Position.
3. Being in a woods hex does not mean "next to impossible" to be seen. It depends on the Visibility Hindrance rating of the hex and the range between units. This is modified by things like weather, smoke, thermal sights, IR sights, etc.
4. A unit seen moving into a hex is easier to be spotted in that hex than one already there and stationary when an enemy first establishes LOS to that hex.
5. An unspotted unit that fires is easier to spot than one that does not fire. Units that fire are not automatically spotted.
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: OJsDad on February 22, 2017, 06:45:39 PM
Iron Mike,

    The hexes in question are 1324, 1423, and 1523.  They're all showing Cover 50% and elevation 4.  I'm not sure if all of the tanks got there before the t-80's could see the hill top or not, BH may be able to answer that.  They were set to Screen after arriving.

   The t-80's were in the valley to the SE around hex 2225 elevation 2 in that valley.  I'm not sure they were as far as 2225 by the time my first company got into position. 
Title: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!
Post by: iron mike golf on February 24, 2017, 12:05:57 AM
Quote from: OJsDad on February 22, 2017, 06:45:39 PM
Iron Mike,

    The hexes in question are 1324, 1423, and 1523.  They're all showing Cover 50% and elevation 4.  I'm not sure if all of the tanks got there before the t-80's could see the hill top or not, BH may be able to answer that.  They were set to Screen after arriving.

   The t-80's were in the valley to the SE around hex 2225 elevation 2 in that valley.  I'm not sure they were as far as 2225 by the time my first company got into position.

Maybe I missed it, but which scenario?

The big thing right off the bat is being in Screen.