GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: LongBlade on October 28, 2015, 03:08:44 PM

Title: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: LongBlade on October 28, 2015, 03:08:44 PM
More details than I ever knew.

https://m.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/star-trek-star-shot-snipers-dday.html
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: mirth on October 28, 2015, 03:13:04 PM
I knew a lot of that, but still cool.

He was pretty much a badass.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: DoctorQuest on October 28, 2015, 03:26:05 PM
I have an James Doohan autographed Star Trek technical manual. Pretty cool.

I think he also went on record saying one of his least favorite episodes of "Star Trek" was "The Way to Eden" (space hippies take over the ship). I was not a bit surprised. (and I tend to agree with his assessment....)

I always thought of Doohan and Nimoy as my favorite actors in the series. Decent men with a good grasp of the profession.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: mirth on October 28, 2015, 03:27:41 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 28, 2015, 03:26:05 PM
I have an James Doohan autographed Star Trek technical manual. Pretty cool.

Very cool!
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: LongBlade on October 28, 2015, 03:28:17 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 28, 2015, 03:26:05 PM
I have an James Doohan autographed Star Trek technical manual. Pretty cool.

Epic
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 28, 2015, 04:06:01 PM
I remember he came to UTSA to meet with a friend of his (this was back in the late 80s). Word got out ahead of time that he was coming, and a massive mob was there waiting. He was pretty cheesed off.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 28, 2015, 07:44:52 PM
Extremely fortunate and honored to have met him and hung out with him in 1989. 

This guy was stupid awesome, and when slightly drunk said a lot of things that would have got him in trouble with people like William Shatner. 

Man loved Roddenberry though.  Had his issues with his vision, but there was just something deep and touching about how much he cared about his friend.  Really great moment in my life.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: LongBlade on October 28, 2015, 08:08:09 PM
Awesome you met him.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: DoctorQuest on October 28, 2015, 09:04:02 PM
At the convention where I saw him he sort of hinted at his relationship with Shatner but kept it diplomatic for obvious reasons.

I also happened to see him eating at a nearby Arbys in town. He was sitting with someone and I just could not bring myself to intrude on his privacy. After reading BC's post I feel even better. Fame has it's benefits I suppose but it must be a pain in the butt sometimes, too.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: Sir Slash on October 28, 2015, 10:08:09 PM
Damn, I guess Scotty should've been on more Away Teams instead of Kirk. With a Sniper Phaser I'm thinking. What was the conflict between him and Shatner I wonder? I've never heard anything about it.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: Centurion40 on October 29, 2015, 08:08:51 AM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fusercontent2.hubimg.com%2F9556651_f260.jpg&hash=e3f8cce2a25569b5e179424a6ad158af704b7cef)

Looks like a competent junior officer.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: mirth on October 29, 2015, 08:42:16 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 28, 2015, 10:08:09 PM
What was the conflict between him and Shatner I wonder? I've never heard anything about it.

I don't know about specifics with Jimmy Doohan, but Shatner pissed off most of his fellow ST cast members at one time or another. By most accounts, Shat was a prick to work with during the run of the original series. He went through scripts counting lines to make sure no one else had more than he did  and other crap like that.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: Centurion40 on October 29, 2015, 10:04:44 AM
George Takei talked about it on the Howard Stern Show, a number of times.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: W8taminute on October 29, 2015, 04:27:22 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 28, 2015, 03:26:05 PM
I have an James Doohan autographed Star Trek technical manual. Pretty cool.

I think he also went on record saying one of his least favorite episodes of "Star Trek" was "The Way to Eden" (space hippies take over the ship). I was not a bit surprised. (and I tend to agree with his assessment....)

I always thought of Doohan and Nimoy as my favorite actors in the series. Decent men with a good grasp of the profession.

"The Way to Eden" was one of my favorite episodes.  It's chock full of awesome quotes some of which I use even today.   O0
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: Sir Slash on October 29, 2015, 09:55:48 PM
That ship sure seemed to get taken-over quite a lot. How many times in 2 seasons? Eight, ten, twelve? Space Hippies, drunk crew members, Spock, the god Apollo, the computer system once, bunch of alien super races-- remember the living Lava Guy who put Lincoln on board? Did I leave anyone out? Must be a couple I forgot about.  :P
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: bbmike on October 30, 2015, 07:29:47 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 29, 2015, 04:27:22 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 28, 2015, 03:26:05 PM
I have an James Doohan autographed Star Trek technical manual. Pretty cool.

I think he also went on record saying one of his least favorite episodes of "Star Trek" was "The Way to Eden" (space hippies take over the ship). I was not a bit surprised. (and I tend to agree with his assessment....)

I always thought of Doohan and Nimoy as my favorite actors in the series. Decent men with a good grasp of the profession.

"The Way to Eden" was one of my favorite episodes.  It's chock full of awesome quotes some of which I use even today.   O0

Are you One, Herbert?
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: mirth on October 30, 2015, 07:34:05 AM
I always thought they were after a frozen dessert. "Sherbert, Sherbert, Sherbert."
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: DoctorQuest on October 30, 2015, 08:51:35 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 29, 2015, 09:55:48 PM
That ship sure seemed to get taken-over quite a lot. How many times in 2 seasons? Eight, ten, twelve? Space Hippies, drunk crew members, Spock, the god Apollo, the computer system once, bunch of alien super races-- remember the living Lava Guy who put Lincoln on board? Did I leave anyone out? Must be a couple I forgot about.  :P

Charlie X. I have a real love/hate relationship with that episode. It has some great scenes of Yeoman Rand in a nightie but the scene where Charlie removes the crews' faces creeps me out to this day.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: Sir Slash on October 30, 2015, 10:52:56 AM
I forgot about the ghost of Jack the Ripper episode.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: mirth on October 30, 2015, 10:54:48 AM
There are actually a few episodes from TOS that are fun to watch around Halloween.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: DoctorQuest on October 30, 2015, 11:00:51 AM
Quote from: mirth on October 30, 2015, 10:54:48 AM
There are actually a few episodes from TOS that are fun to watch around Halloween.

Like the very first episode I ever watched, ever. "The Man Trap"

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comicbookbrain.com%2F_imagery%2F2014-09-15%2Fstar-trek-mantrap%2F620%2Fstar-trek-man-trap-14.jpg&hash=84063b4c99e3bdb09ee5acd0e3c342f0a71e75f9)
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: bbmike on October 30, 2015, 11:47:20 AM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 30, 2015, 11:00:51 AM
Quote from: mirth on October 30, 2015, 10:54:48 AM
There are actually a few episodes from TOS that are fun to watch around Halloween.

Like the very first episode I ever watched, ever. "The Man Trap"

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comicbookbrain.com%2F_imagery%2F2014-09-15%2Fstar-trek-mantrap%2F620%2Fstar-trek-man-trap-14.jpg&hash=84063b4c99e3bdb09ee5acd0e3c342f0a71e75f9)

One of the first I saw as well. I was too young to know that main characters wouldn't die and just knew that thing was going to kill Kirk.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: undercovergeek on October 30, 2015, 12:34:52 PM
From the episode 'what happens after a night with mirth'?
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: mirth on October 30, 2015, 02:09:12 PM
I've dated a few chicks that would make the green space hag seem like a good option.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: mirth on October 30, 2015, 02:09:52 PM
Who am I kidding? ...I've dated more than a few.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: Sir Slash on October 30, 2015, 02:29:38 PM
Isn't she running for President?
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: mirth on October 30, 2015, 02:32:11 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 30, 2015, 02:29:38 PM
Isn't she running for President?

<chuckle>
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: JasonPratt on October 30, 2015, 03:35:13 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 30, 2015, 02:29:38 PM
Isn't she running for President?

Insert braying lol here.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: LongBlade on October 30, 2015, 03:41:06 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on October 30, 2015, 03:35:13 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 30, 2015, 02:29:38 PM
Isn't she running for President?

Insert braying lol here.

There's a joke in there about mirth, the hag from Star Trek, elections, and Ross Perot's quote about a giant sucking sound, but I'm too lazy to look for/create a meme about it.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: Staggerwing on October 30, 2015, 05:58:13 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 30, 2015, 08:51:35 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 29, 2015, 09:55:48 PM
That ship sure seemed to get taken-over quite a lot. How many times in 2 seasons? Eight, ten, twelve? Space Hippies, drunk crew members, Spock, the god Apollo, the computer system once, bunch of alien super races-- remember the living Lava Guy who put Lincoln on board? Did I leave anyone out? Must be a couple I forgot about.  :P

Charlie X. I have a real love/hate relationship with that episode. It has some great scenes of Yeoman Rand in a nightie but the scene where Charlie removes the crews' faces creeps me out to this day.

Wasn't there an indie Trek film that revisits Charlie X? IIRC, it had some actors from some of the various Trek tv show incarnations in it.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: bbmike on October 30, 2015, 06:22:32 PM
There was and the 5 minutes I watched were horrible. Star Trek Continues is the fan Trek you want to watch.
Title: Re: James Doohan Bio Details
Post by: SirAndrewD on November 02, 2015, 09:42:21 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 28, 2015, 08:08:09 PM
Awesome you met him.

It was awesome. 

He showed up at a really small convention in Orlando.  I think he'd had a bit to drink and he was very friendly and personable with everyone there.  He spent a lot of time just standing about and mingling with those of us that were there to see him, and it was awesome. 

I don't think it's typically like that, so I feel I got lucky. 

He wasn't being controlled or diplomatic at all, which is what was great.  I think at the time a bit of his vitriol on Shatner came from having just filmed Final Frontier, which he was very vocal about not liking. 

He also had very little time at that point for TNG.  It had gone to season 2 at that point, and he was pretty vocal that he'd hardly watched, felt the scripts on the episodes he did watch were dreadful, and he was ticked that a blind man was running HIS engineering department. 

Of course he must've mellowed his opinions later since he appeared in a great TNG episode.