James Doohan Bio Details

Started by LongBlade, October 28, 2015, 03:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

I knew a lot of that, but still cool.

He was pretty much a badass.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

I have an James Doohan autographed Star Trek technical manual. Pretty cool.

I think he also went on record saying one of his least favorite episodes of "Star Trek" was "The Way to Eden" (space hippies take over the ship). I was not a bit surprised. (and I tend to agree with his assessment....)

I always thought of Doohan and Nimoy as my favorite actors in the series. Decent men with a good grasp of the profession.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mirth

Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 28, 2015, 03:26:05 PM
I have an James Doohan autographed Star Trek technical manual. Pretty cool.

Very cool!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 28, 2015, 03:26:05 PM
I have an James Doohan autographed Star Trek technical manual. Pretty cool.

Epic
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

BanzaiCat

I remember he came to UTSA to meet with a friend of his (this was back in the late 80s). Word got out ahead of time that he was coming, and a massive mob was there waiting. He was pretty cheesed off.

SirAndrewD

Extremely fortunate and honored to have met him and hung out with him in 1989. 

This guy was stupid awesome, and when slightly drunk said a lot of things that would have got him in trouble with people like William Shatner. 

Man loved Roddenberry though.  Had his issues with his vision, but there was just something deep and touching about how much he cared about his friend.  Really great moment in my life.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DoctorQuest

#8
At the convention where I saw him he sort of hinted at his relationship with Shatner but kept it diplomatic for obvious reasons.

I also happened to see him eating at a nearby Arbys in town. He was sitting with someone and I just could not bring myself to intrude on his privacy. After reading BC's post I feel even better. Fame has it's benefits I suppose but it must be a pain in the butt sometimes, too.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Sir Slash

Damn, I guess Scotty should've been on more Away Teams instead of Kirk. With a Sniper Phaser I'm thinking. What was the conflict between him and Shatner I wonder? I've never heard anything about it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Centurion40



Looks like a competent junior officer.
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 28, 2015, 10:08:09 PM
What was the conflict between him and Shatner I wonder? I've never heard anything about it.

I don't know about specifics with Jimmy Doohan, but Shatner pissed off most of his fellow ST cast members at one time or another. By most accounts, Shat was a prick to work with during the run of the original series. He went through scripts counting lines to make sure no one else had more than he did  and other crap like that.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

George Takei talked about it on the Howard Stern Show, a number of times.
Any time is a good time for pie.

W8taminute

Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 28, 2015, 03:26:05 PM
I have an James Doohan autographed Star Trek technical manual. Pretty cool.

I think he also went on record saying one of his least favorite episodes of "Star Trek" was "The Way to Eden" (space hippies take over the ship). I was not a bit surprised. (and I tend to agree with his assessment....)

I always thought of Doohan and Nimoy as my favorite actors in the series. Decent men with a good grasp of the profession.

"The Way to Eden" was one of my favorite episodes.  It's chock full of awesome quotes some of which I use even today.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

That ship sure seemed to get taken-over quite a lot. How many times in 2 seasons? Eight, ten, twelve? Space Hippies, drunk crew members, Spock, the god Apollo, the computer system once, bunch of alien super races-- remember the living Lava Guy who put Lincoln on board? Did I leave anyone out? Must be a couple I forgot about.  :P
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.