GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on January 18, 2016, 08:44:26 PM

Title: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 18, 2016, 08:44:26 PM
Elite, Star Citizen, Rogue System and now Evochron Legacy...looks like it was just released today. Sure its not as flashy as some of the others, but for a one-man development team, I'm impressed. 40% off making it $14.99...sold!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/398170/ (http://store.steampowered.com/app/398170/)
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: SirAndrewD on January 18, 2016, 09:51:10 PM
Now if only Disney/former Lucasarts can give us Tie Fighter 2.
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Hofstadter on January 18, 2016, 10:48:17 PM
I cant find any gameplay videos of it, from what ive read its a release of evochron mercenary with a bit of extra flash. Bit worried its just another elite dangerous, huge world with nothing to do
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: spelk on January 18, 2016, 11:36:19 PM
http://starwraith.com/

The Evochron series is a long running, constantly evolving space sim, that was built with compact economy of code and assets but with maximum content. One of its biggest boons is that it is a continuous labour of love for one guy (Vice), and it is always in development to a new level - with much in the way of community inspired development and community modding. I suppose its a bit like the Arcen games model of development.

The last time I dabbled with it (which was Mercenary, but its good to hear its next evolution is now out on Steam) one of the real benefits of the game was that it can be run as a 64 player server and people can connect up and fly with their mates, or newbies can be guided by helpful community members on how to become that miner, pirate, trader, fighter etc..

The game has an indie sensibility, but not scope. It has proper newtonian physics, satisfying combat, planetfall (now including Mech walkers to roam the surface of the planet) and a lot more...

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/index.htm

The dev also has another series that sort of develops alongside the Evochron one, and its more a mission based affair, forfeiting the sandbox with structured and storied content, it's known as the Arvoch (Conflict) Alliance.

http://www.starwraith.com/arvochalliance/index.htm

Anyway, Space Game Junkie has just started a playthrough of EL



Sinbad, shows off some planetfall and walker exploration



And the devs channel is here

https://www.youtube.com/user/SFSW

I was pretty invested in the earlier titles, here's my 2009 gush over Evochron Legends

http://spelkzero.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/evochron-legends_12.html

I was even inspired to dabble in modding the HUD, and taking the DRADIS look out of Battlestar Galactica and putting it on my Evochron craft

http://spelkzero.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/dradis-for-evochron-legends.html

So 7 years ago I was frothing at the mouth over Evochron, and its still here, and its still developing, and its good wholesome community inspired indie fayre. :)

I've got to say/admire what Vice does with just over 300Mb is absolutely amazing considering most other sandbox space sims are in multiples of Gigabytes!
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Martok on January 19, 2016, 03:55:34 AM
Now if Josh can just finish development on Limit Theory...  (Please, please!) 

Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 19, 2016, 06:07:43 AM
It doesn't want to detect my x55. Frustrating.
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: spelk on January 19, 2016, 07:31:57 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 19, 2016, 06:07:43 AM
It doesn't want to detect my x55. Frustrating.

Post up at the Starwraith forums, I'm sure someone, maybe even Vice will try and help you JH.

Might be worth having a ferret around the Tech Support forum

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=26

There seems to be a number of posts from other Saitek joystick users, but I can't see any relating directly to the X-55
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Jack Nastyface on January 19, 2016, 07:05:25 PM
I just picked up elite: dangerous.  Wow.  Now to figure it out.
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 19, 2016, 07:19:32 PM
Did you check out my gameplay video?

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=15921.0 (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=15921.0)
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: jomni on January 19, 2016, 09:51:35 PM
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on January 19, 2016, 07:05:25 PM
I just picked up elite: dangerous.  Wow.  Now to figure it out.

I'm now getting back into Elite after criticising it before. But I won't be buying Horizons as I still don't feel I need it at this point.  Just short bursts of courier sessions for me.
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: bboyer66 on January 20, 2016, 10:05:15 AM
How is the lore/factions in Evochron? Are their wars going on between different races, etc. One of the things I liked best about the original X series was how much detail was put into the different factions,  How unique each different factions ships looked, acted, etc.  Speaking of which, shouldn't the X series be coming out with a new version soon? The last version was a total flop and I am hoping they get back to the roots of the series.

Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: bboyer66 on January 20, 2016, 10:11:33 AM
Answered part of my question. Seems like Egosoft is still supporting its last game. :



Today EGOSOFT announces the new expansion "Home of Light" as well as update 4.0 for X Rebirth, both to be released in February 2016!

Home of Light (HoL) is an exciting expansion of the X Rebirth universe and makes the best use of the many new features of X Rebirth 4.0:

• (HoL) Much larger universe: The Home of Light expansion will bring three entire new systems, including the central Home of Light, known from the X3 games, with a massive new economy.

• (HoL and 4.0) Bulletin Board System (BBS): The new BBS system collects all currently available missions in space for an easier overview.

• (4.0) Trade improvements: Graphs showing market developments over time, a best deal finder and many UI improvements to make trading easier.

• (4.0) New engine technology: Extend your ship with a Jump Drive and other new technology to travel through the universe quicker than ever.

• (HoL) Trade stations: A new station type allows you to stock large amounts of any wares you like. Buy up goods when they're cheap and sell when the price is high, or when your competitors' stations mysteriously explode.

• (4.0) Customizable weapon upgrades: Craft weapon modifications to improve your favourite weapons.

• (HoL and 4.0) New enemies, new weapons, new missions, new and mysterious phenomena.

• (HoL and 4.0) Many new secrets to explore in the outskirts of the ever-growing X universe.

The Home of Light expansion can be pre-ordered NOW at a 20% discount for just 7.99 € on Steam.

X Rebirth Update 4.0 will be released for free.

Coming in early 2016 will be the new X Rebirth complete package, including The Teladi Outpost and Home of Light for just 49.99€. Available on Steam, GOG, or directly from egosoft.com.
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: JasonPratt on January 20, 2016, 11:48:43 AM
Evochron currently only has two factions (Alliance and Federation). But its Steam description looks quite amazing.

I finally picked up X3:TC and X3:AP on a recent holiday sale, but haven't played them yet. I'm dubious about trying to get into Rebirth when so many people are saying stick with (the latest versions of) X3.
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: JasonPratt on January 20, 2016, 11:50:06 AM
Note that its feature description is so long IT EXCEEDS THE 20K CHARACTER FORUM POST LIMIT!
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 20, 2016, 01:33:02 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on January 20, 2016, 11:48:43 AM
Evochron currently only has two factions (Alliance and Federation). But its Steam description looks quite amazing.

I finally picked up X3:TC and X3:AP on a recent holiday sale, but haven't played them yet. I'm dubious about trying to get into Rebirth when so many people are saying stick with (the latest versions of) X3.
I'll be honest off the bat here - I haven't fired up X-Rebirth in a looooong time and in fact it's not even currently installed.

I did not like the turn it took from X3 Reunion and the Albion Prelude and Terran Conflict DLCs. I'm not being a purist here. It took me an awful long time to "get" X3 Reunion but once I did, I loved it. X-Rebirth has never hit me in the right way...not once.

imo it looks awful too.

However - as I said, I haven't fired it up in a long time - so it may well have progressed.

Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Grimnirsson on January 20, 2016, 02:04:45 PM
I am waiting for the EU release of Rebel Galaxy for the PS4...
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Jack Nastyface on January 21, 2016, 03:59:50 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 19, 2016, 07:19:32 PM
Did you check out my gameplay video?
I did indeed.  It was part of the reason that I decided to buy the game.  My challenge really is in finding the time to play through some tutorials on movement, thrust, etc.  I'm sure it won't be overwhelming, but there are always nuances to learning a new keyboard layout, etc. 
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Huw the Poo on January 21, 2016, 05:08:15 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 20, 2016, 01:33:02 PM
imo it looks awful too.

Wuh?!  Say what you like about X:Rebirth - god knows there are plenty of arguments for and against - but...it looks awful?!  You got shit in your eyes, mate?  :uglystupid2:
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 21, 2016, 05:36:41 PM
QuoteSay what you like about X:Rebirth
Well, I did and was chastised for doing so.

Look, I didn't expect everyone to agree. I couldn't care less if anyone agrees. imo it's ugly
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Nefaro on January 21, 2016, 09:03:41 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 21, 2016, 05:36:41 PM
imo it's ugly


The Bloom is probably way overdone.  I seem to recall that being a complaint of mine, too.  Looks like someone smeared a thin layer of vaseline across the screen when devs put in far too much bloom effect.  ;D
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: jomni on January 21, 2016, 09:39:12 PM
Hour after hour.  All I get is frustration in Elite.  No jobs. Lose fuel. Being shot down.  How do I make money?
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 21, 2016, 09:48:03 PM
Quote from: jomni on January 21, 2016, 09:39:12 PM
Hour after hour.  All I get is frustration in Elite.  No jobs. Lose fuel. Being shot down.  How do I make money?

We do have like a 400 page thread discussing all the ins and outs of Elite. You should check it out. You remind me of a young JudgeDredd.
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 22, 2016, 01:55:01 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 21, 2016, 09:39:12 PM
Hour after hour.  All I get is frustration in Elite.  No jobs. Lose fuel. Being shot down.  How do I make money?
lol

Been there. Done that.

The only positive feedback I can give you is it can be done. Plenty of people managed it (including JH and UCG on these very forums) - but just not me and I haven't revisited it in a long time because of it.  :-\

I'll PM you so you know what issues I encountered - see if you are hitting the same blocks I did.

But you'd do well to PM UCG or JH and ask for tips as they made plenty of readies
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: jomni on January 22, 2016, 05:13:09 AM
Finally making money. I bagged three criminals.
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: undercovergeek on January 22, 2016, 05:32:50 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 21, 2016, 09:39:12 PM
Hour after hour.  All I get is frustration in Elite.  No jobs. Lose fuel. Being shot down.  How do I make money?

will ye be a fighter or a trader sir?
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: jomni on January 22, 2016, 05:52:01 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 22, 2016, 05:32:50 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 21, 2016, 09:39:12 PM
Hour after hour.  All I get is frustration in Elite.  No jobs. Lose fuel. Being shot down.  How do I make money?

will ye be a fighter or a trader sir?

I'm still looking to be a trader.  But I still have a small ship which won't make a lot of money trading.
I have enough money for a hauler.  But saving a few more money.
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2016, 06:33:08 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 22, 2016, 05:52:01 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 22, 2016, 05:32:50 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 21, 2016, 09:39:12 PM
Hour after hour.  All I get is frustration in Elite.  No jobs. Lose fuel. Being shot down.  How do I make money?

will ye be a fighter or a trader sir?

I'm still looking to be a trader.  But I still have a small ship which won't make a lot of money trading.
I have enough money for a hauler.  But saving a few more money.

If you want to earn you fortune through trade, talk to SirAndrew. He always had the scoop on the best runs to maximize profit. There is also a website that will tell you how to maximize profit by revealing which ports are selling low and buying high. You can get this information by product, location, price, etc. I don't have the web address offhand, but it is posted somewhere in our big discussion thread.

Another simple way to make a fair amount of starter money is to go on courier, or delivery missions. This is how I got my start. These are missions where you deliver products, both legal and illegal, to a specific destination. These missions are good because you do not have to locate and buy the cargo. You accept the mission, the cargo gets loaded onto your ship and all you do is deliver it. Think UPS or Fedex. These missions can get quite lucrative and you can do a whole bunch of them at the same time.
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: undercovergeek on January 22, 2016, 09:46:31 AM
http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/

this is what i use - put in where you are, what you can buy where you are and it will tell you where to sell it for the mostest - do this until you have a decent ship and then go all RPG - im a slave trader, lots of cash
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Pete Dero on January 22, 2016, 11:16:19 AM
Or try this one : Elite Dangerous Database

https://eddb.io/

And this channel has a lot of info : https://www.youtube.com/user/ObsidianAnt/videos
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: jomni on January 22, 2016, 06:42:38 PM
Thanks guys.  I plan to go into trading because even courier jobs can get scarce too.
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: JasonPratt on January 24, 2016, 07:05:18 PM
I think I saw you playing Evochron Legacy recently, JH?

If so, I'm sure I and others would be interested in your comparisons. (I've got that and the X3:TC/AP games already; not Elite or Star Citizen yet. But I haven't played X3 or Evochron yet.)
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: JasonPratt on January 24, 2016, 07:23:40 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 23, 2016, 02:56:05 AM
This game hates Windows 10. I can't get any device to friggen work. Thinking about getting a refund.

Oh, wait, hadn't read that yet in the Friday thread!  :'( Hopefully won't be a problem for Win 8.1...  :-\

Also, hope you can get your control configs sorted out on it.
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 24, 2016, 07:52:10 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on January 24, 2016, 07:23:40 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 23, 2016, 02:56:05 AM
This game hates Windows 10. I can't get any device to friggen work. Thinking about getting a refund.

Oh, wait, hadn't read that yet in the Friday thread!  :'( Hopefully won't be a problem for Win 8.1...  :-\

Also, hope you can get your control configs sorted out on it.

It seems to only be a problem with the X55 on win 10. You should be ok on win 8.1. Vice is working on fixing it though, and he has ordered his own x55 to troubleshoot it. Pretty solid move I think!
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Cougar_DK on January 25, 2016, 10:39:07 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 24, 2016, 07:52:10 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on January 24, 2016, 07:23:40 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 23, 2016, 02:56:05 AM
This game hates Windows 10. I can't get any device to friggen work. Thinking about getting a refund.

Oh, wait, hadn't read that yet in the Friday thread!  :'( Hopefully won't be a problem for Win 8.1...  :-\

Also, hope you can get your control configs sorted out on it.

It seems to only be a problem with the X55 on win 10. You should be ok on win 8.1. Vice is working on fixing it though, and he has ordered his own x55 to troubleshoot it. Pretty solid move I think!

That is indeed great news  O0
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: JasonPratt on February 03, 2016, 10:59:51 PM
Finally deciphered the shipbuilding arcanae in Evochron: Legacy, and after blinging up my starting "Arrow" build for a more trade-explorer path (which the game could have offered me directly but I wanted to learn better), I flew my first accepted mission photographing the night side of the nearby wretched planet; then dropped down to refuel at a local surface base (looking for some cheap textiles while I was at it), and got battered by an unexpected carbon-rain thunderstorm.

I have taken my first step into a whole new world. I'm not entirely sure I've ever played a HanSoloish space 4x sim. I mean, I've known about them since before prehistoric times, but I don't think I've ever played one. Ever. And I love both games like Wing Commander, and games like Sid Meir's Pirates (and so naturally I wanted Privateer, but never got around to buying it, mainly because my computer specs were barely good enough to play Strike Commander).

No doubt this will end Friday afternoon when I get home from work to fire up XCOM2. But still. Achievement accomplished, or something like that.  O0
Title: Re: Its a good time to be a space sim junkie.
Post by: Boggit on February 04, 2016, 08:20:23 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 18, 2016, 08:44:26 PM
Elite, Star Citizen, Rogue System and now Evochron Legacy...looks like it was just released today. Sure its not as flashy as some of the others, but for a one-man development team, I'm impressed. 40% off making it $14.99...sold!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/398170/ (http://store.steampowered.com/app/398170/)
When do you have time to play all your collection? I struggle to play mine - and with a lot of games gathering virtual dust too! And I suspect you have more games than me! ;D