GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Rayfer on February 23, 2016, 01:40:53 PM

Title: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Rayfer on February 23, 2016, 01:40:53 PM
39 Slitherine/Matrix titles on sale on Steam until Friday. Some with good discounts!
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: mirth on February 23, 2016, 01:42:52 PM
So much for not buying more games

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/slitherine_midweek
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Crossroads on February 23, 2016, 02:31:05 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 23, 2016, 01:42:52 PM
So much for not buying more games

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/slitherine_midweek

Resistance is futile   :crazy2:

FlashPoints Campaigns: Germany Reforged DLC this time.  :smitten:
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Lord Zimoa on February 23, 2016, 03:00:32 PM
Slitherine Mid week Sale Madness on Steam: Panzer Corps, Commander, Sovereignty and Warhammer 40K game series with up to 75% discount, do not miss this!

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/slitherine_midweek
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: kludger on February 23, 2016, 03:08:18 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on February 23, 2016, 02:31:05 PM
Resistance is futile   :crazy2:

FlashPoints Campaigns: Germany Reforged DLC this time.  :smitten:

Yep that was on my wish list, can't resist picking it up on sale.

Great sale.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: glen55 on February 23, 2016, 03:29:36 PM
Crap, Brother vs Brother was the one I really wanted.   :-\

Does anybody recommend Sovereignty?
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Lord Zimoa on February 23, 2016, 04:05:48 PM
Yes, I do!

Sorry this was cheeky, but could not resist... they pull me back in!
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: airboy on February 23, 2016, 05:01:55 PM
Anyone played Vietnam '65?  Impressions?
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Hofstadter on February 23, 2016, 05:20:55 PM
Bugger, theres nothing there that interests me
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Nefaro on February 23, 2016, 05:25:10 PM
Quote from: glen55 on February 23, 2016, 03:29:36 PM

Does anybody recommend Sovereignty?

Sovereignty is currently in Early Access, PLUS currently undergoing an engine change.  So the end product is likely to change in the near future.

But that's probably a good thing!  The game's concepts are very cool, but the original engine was pretty sparse on UI bits.  Hopefully the new hotness is out of closed testing and into public hands before long.  Looking forward to starting a campaign with it.  O0
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: bob48 on February 23, 2016, 05:43:08 PM
Quote from: airboy on February 23, 2016, 05:01:55 PM
Anyone played Vietnam '65?  Impressions?

Yeah, I have it. Its a quite nice little game.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Wolfe1759 on February 23, 2016, 06:08:48 PM
Just caved and bought Alea Jacta Est - Complete £22 as opposed to c£70 if I'd bought them all separately so seems like a good deal and I've liked the AGEOD system since I picked up the original Birth of America years ago so I've always been meaning to buy AJE but never got round to it until now.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: jomni on February 23, 2016, 06:14:22 PM
Omg.  Will this finally push me to buy Panzer Corps Soviet and Order of Battle? Maybe not.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: jomni on February 23, 2016, 06:15:44 PM
Quote from: airboy on February 23, 2016, 05:01:55 PM
Anyone played Vietnam '65?  Impressions?

Really good and replayable but short lived in my case.  Play about three rounds and you have seen everything. But of course the game has random setup so in theory, it is infinitely repayable if you like the theme.
They're making an Afghanistan version.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on February 23, 2016, 06:55:32 PM
I liked the original release of Viet'65 quite a lot, and my impression is that the last major update improved things more (but I haven't played it much since the update).

If you like the idea of the game, and if you think of it as more of a boardgame than an operational simulation, you should be pretty happy with it. As jomni says, after three campaigns you'll have seen everything -- maybe after one -- but a campaign can be played in about 2 hours, maybe less, so it makes a nice full experience on an afternoon.

My absolute newbie campaign, trying to learn the system, has an AAR here on Grogheads. (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13072.0) Be aware that the campaign is complete, and shows a lot of everything available in the first build; also that I didn't understand some of the game mechanics even out to the end of the game. To be honest, my one key gripe about the game is that the game balance requires the enemy to necessarily misplay what would otherwise be an omnipotent game mechanic in order to give you a chance to win -- which I gripe about a lot, and with some misunderstanding, in the AAR. But that griping doesn't overthrow my unabashed love for the game.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Hofstadter on February 23, 2016, 07:09:28 PM
Would get the ageod games, but the engine makes me cry. Decisive campaigns, order or battle and panzer generals are a littletoo beer and pretzels for me.

Maybe that starhammer game...
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Gusington on February 23, 2016, 07:12:33 PM
Damn all of you, just got Soviet Corps.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Barthheart on February 23, 2016, 07:13:17 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on February 23, 2016, 07:09:28 PM
Would get the ageod games, but the engine makes me cry. Decisive campaigns, order or battle and panzer generals are a littletoo beer and pretzels for me.

Maybe that starhammer game...

Decisive Campaigns "is too beer and pretzels" for you?!?  :o
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Hofstadter on February 23, 2016, 07:14:58 PM
I dont know, I play the grigsby games a lot. So going to DC after that, maybe I ruined it for me a little bit?
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Barthheart on February 23, 2016, 07:17:03 PM
No worries man. I just never heard anyone describe the DC series as beer and pretzels that's all. For me they are plenty groggy.... but then I've never scarped up enough money to play the GG titles...
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: mirth on February 23, 2016, 07:21:16 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 23, 2016, 07:12:33 PM
Damn all of you, just got Soviet Corps.

:2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:

Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 23, 2016, 07:26:58 PM
Rise of Prussia Gold is showing up as 125% off. They actually pay you $5.00 to get it.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Sir Slash on February 23, 2016, 07:43:00 PM
Fredrick the Great would not approve. He was notoriously cheap you know. This sale coincides with my 2nd anniversary as a Matrix member so I get another 8% off. Am I lucky or just good.  :))
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on February 23, 2016, 08:10:05 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on February 23, 2016, 07:14:58 PM
I dont know, I play the grigsby games a lot. So going to DC after that, maybe I ruined it for me a little bit?

Calling the DC games "beer and pretzels" is a little unfair, I think. Yes, they're not as hard-core as the Grigsby game, but they have a lot of fine-grained historical detail -- much more than games like Panzercorps or Battle Academy, which are true beer & pretzels (which I don't mean as a knock against them -- they do what they do very well).

To me, the DC games hit a sweet spot between Beer & Pretzels on the one hand, and overly complex grogginess, a la War in the Pacific: AE.  Just my opinion, but I've found DC Case Blue infinitely more engaging than the dour, drab, lifeless GG War in the East.... (WitP:AE I do love, although I think the grand campaign is essentially unplayable).
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Hofstadter on February 23, 2016, 08:44:19 PM
Yeah, I really did not give the game much of the chance, the card system also turned me off. It reminded me of magic the gathering
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: mirth on February 23, 2016, 08:46:48 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on February 23, 2016, 08:44:19 PM
...the card system also turned me off. It reminded me of magic the gathering

Testify, brother!

Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Barthheart on February 23, 2016, 09:11:55 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 23, 2016, 08:46:48 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on February 23, 2016, 08:44:19 PM
...the card system also turned me off. It reminded me of magic the gathering

Testify, brother!

Really? The "card system" plays such a small role in the game... in fact you can play entire campaigns without ever using any cards.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: mirth on February 23, 2016, 09:14:52 PM
I was reacting to his MTG statement only  :P
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: panzerde on February 23, 2016, 09:45:06 PM
Probably about to cave on Revolution Under Siege since I've had it on the wishlist for awhile. Doubt I'll play it for quite some time, but for <$10...

Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: mirth on February 23, 2016, 09:52:37 PM
We're a pathetic lot.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Toonces on February 23, 2016, 10:28:14 PM
I hate to ask this, as I know it's been asked is some capacity before, but:...

What is the major difference between Civil War 1 and 2?  I have 1, and spent some time with it and liked it, but I'm not an expert at it.  Maybe 10 hours total.

I just wonder if the upgrade to CW2 is worth it for $20.  Like, am I getting anything additional for the investment, and (if so) what?

I'm sure it's something, but just trying to justify the cost/benefit.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: jomni on February 23, 2016, 10:41:24 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on February 23, 2016, 08:10:05 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on February 23, 2016, 07:14:58 PM
I dont know, I play the grigsby games a lot. So going to DC after that, maybe I ruined it for me a little bit?

Calling the DC games "beer and pretzels" is a little unfair, I think. Yes, they're not as hard-core as the Grigsby game, but they have a lot of fine-grained historical detail -- much more than games like Panzercorps or Battle Academy, which are true beer & pretzels (which I don't mean as a knock against them -- they do what they do very well).

To me, the DC games hit a sweet spot between Beer & Pretzels on the one hand, and overly complex grogginess, a la War in the Pacific: AE.  Just my opinion, but I've found DC Case Blue infinitely more engaging than the dour, drab, lifeless GG War in the East.... (WitP:AE I do love, although I think the grand campaign is essentially unplayable).

DC removed the logistics micromanagement of Advanced Tactics. I kinda liked this feature.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: -budd- on February 23, 2016, 10:42:19 PM
Quote from: glen55 on February 23, 2016, 03:29:36 PM
Crap, Brother vs Brother was the one I really wanted.   :-\

Does anybody recommend Sovereignty?

Surprised brother VS brother isnt in there also. Sovereignty battles are a lot of fun, the rest needs beefed up i.e. trade, diplomacy, overall economy.Playing as smaller realms was a lot of hitting end turn. I haven't played since the engine switch but have been following and it doesnt seem like a lot has been added yet, but the game has great potential. I would think someone with an interest in WITE would jump at the whole package for $53.00 , I've never played the main campaign but there's plenty of smaller scenarios and its easy to jump in and play. Since brother vs brother isnt on sale the only one that peaks my interest is Legions of steel, anybody have any opinions on the game.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Cyrano on February 23, 2016, 10:44:56 PM
I am, again, for the whatever time this amounts to, punished for being unable to resist these things when first released...

Ah, well, I have had the joy of them.

And DC is desert-island stuff for me.  Interestingly enough, Advanced Tactics: Gold has not aged as well by my lights...not the biggest fan of the faux-resource stuff, I guess...but the historical stuff is seminal.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: FarAway Sooner on February 23, 2016, 10:48:38 PM
Sovereignty is on my list but (as others have said) the game's not quite finished yet. 

I'm looking for a game with a good persisting campaign where I can play as the Americans if I want to.  War in the West would scratch that itch, but it's not for sale on Steam.  Heroes of Normandie is a more light-hearted version of that, but it sounds like a key mechanic of the game still hasn't been released (cards) and getting that functionality right sounds like a huge thing.

DC does look very intriguing, but after numerous hours of Unity of Command I'm feeling a bit of Eastern Front Fatigue. 

What to do, what to do...   :crazy2:
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Nefaro on February 23, 2016, 11:05:35 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 23, 2016, 07:13:17 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on February 23, 2016, 07:09:28 PM
Would get the ageod games, but the engine makes me cry. Decisive campaigns, order or battle and panzer generals are a littletoo beer and pretzels for me.

Maybe that starhammer game...

Decisive Campaigns "is too beer and pretzels" for you?!?  :o


... yet the AGE games are too much to deal with?

This is an odd situation.  ;D
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Bison on February 23, 2016, 11:06:39 PM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 23, 2016, 10:48:38 PM

DC does look very intriguing, but after numerous hours of Unity of Command I'm feeling a bit of Eastern Front Fatigue. 

What to do, what to do...   :crazy2:

Get DC: Warsaw to Paris and spend some time executing your blitzkrieg across France and Poland or trying to stop the blitzkrieg momentum. 
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Cyrano on February 23, 2016, 11:07:40 PM
Oh, and the cards for HoN have entered BETA.  At least the first 31 of them.

Given the price, this moves this particular game into a no-brainer purchase for me.  I'll borrow Tom Vasel's line and say it's SL for those that can't quite abide SL.

Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Hofstadter on February 24, 2016, 01:12:36 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 23, 2016, 11:05:35 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 23, 2016, 07:13:17 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on February 23, 2016, 07:09:28 PM
Would get the ageod games, but the engine makes me cry. Decisive campaigns, order or battle and panzer generals are a littletoo beer and pretzels for me.

Maybe that starhammer game...

Decisive Campaigns "is too beer and pretzels" for you?!?  :o


... yet the AGE games are too much to deal with?

This is an odd situation.  ;D

Its the engine that makes me cry, its crashy, its buggy, its slow, its ugly and horrible to use. They have all the functions there but that engine is just....horrifying beyond comprehension
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Bison on February 24, 2016, 01:19:29 AM
Ugly is not a word I'd personally use to describe an Ageod game.  :)
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: FarAway Sooner on February 24, 2016, 01:28:03 AM
Damn you all!  Now, suddenly Heroes of Normandie looks pretty playable and Civil War 2 looks like exactly what I was looking for... in a WW II game!  Which to buy, which to buy...
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Raied on February 24, 2016, 03:26:41 AM
I am torn between getting Flashpoint Campaigns and DC: Case Blue
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: bbmike on February 24, 2016, 06:23:13 AM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 24, 2016, 01:28:03 AM
Damn you all!  Now, suddenly Heroes of Normandie looks pretty playable and Civil War 2 looks like exactly what I was looking for... in a WW II game!  Which to buy, which to buy...

This is Grogheads! Buy both!  :D
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: FarAway Sooner on February 24, 2016, 09:46:50 AM
Quote from: bbmike on February 24, 2016, 06:23:13 AM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 24, 2016, 01:28:03 AM
Damn you all!  Now, suddenly Heroes of Normandie looks pretty playable and Civil War 2 looks like exactly what I was looking for... in a WW II game!  Which to buy, which to buy...

This is Grogheads! Buy both!  :D

Would have been much easier to justify to the wifey before I began my period of voluntary funemployment!!   8)
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Dammit Carl! on February 24, 2016, 09:52:37 AM
[Shakes fist at Matrix]

Oh no you won't!  No more money from me!

[Waits for Tigers on the Hunt to drop tomorrow]
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: FlickJax on February 24, 2016, 10:10:25 AM
grabbed Vietnam 65 as was so cheap and also Heroes of Normandie
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: -budd- on February 24, 2016, 10:24:29 AM
Quote from: Raied on February 24, 2016, 03:26:41 AM
I am torn between getting Flashpoint Campaigns and DC: Case Blue

Sir you cant go wrong with either of those, pick your period and game type[wego,turn based] and buy with confidence.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on February 24, 2016, 11:29:31 AM
Matrix == Greek for womb == mistress who drinks our life and gives us joy.

...uh, I mean that as a compliment?  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Bardolph on February 24, 2016, 01:37:11 PM
FWIW Heroes of Normandie is the only game I've ever used Steam's refund policy on.
For me it offered nothing that Battle Academy doesn't do far better while still being a "light" playable wargame.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Rayfer on February 24, 2016, 03:31:13 PM
Quote from: Toonces on February 23, 2016, 10:28:14 PM
I hate to ask this, as I know it's been asked is some capacity before, but:...

What is the major difference between Civil War 1 and 2?  I have 1, and spent some time with it and liked it, but I'm not an expert at it.  Maybe 10 hours total.

I just wonder if the upgrade to CW2 is worth it for $20.  Like, am I getting anything additional for the investment, and (if so) what?

I'm sure it's something, but just trying to justify the cost/benefit.

It was worth it for me when I got ACW2 last year on sale. The map alone is worth the cost....it's incredible to look at.  Haven't played the first in years so I can't remember exactly what 2 has that 1 didn't.  I just know I found 2 far easier to get into, learn and play than 1 ever was.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Father Ted on February 24, 2016, 03:33:24 PM
Oh balls - CMANO for me  :-[
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Con on February 24, 2016, 03:47:47 PM
I have really been putting in time on GG War in The East.  So I was tempted now to buy War in the West seeing that I am climbing the learning curve on this game.  A bit sad (but my wallet isn't) to see that WitW is not part of the sale

Con
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: IronX on February 24, 2016, 04:39:55 PM
Pike and Shot: Campaigns. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something comforting about playing with long pointy things and balls.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: panzerde on February 24, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
Yep, that's going in someone's sig line.  ;D
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Gusington on February 24, 2016, 05:33:18 PM
^Not mine.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Father Ted on February 24, 2016, 05:33:52 PM
Quote from: IronX on February 24, 2016, 04:39:55 PM
Pike and Shot: Campaigns. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something comforting about playing with long pointy things and balls.

'Tis a fun game, in which I've spent many a happy hour.  Pike and Shot's not bad either.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: OJsDad on February 24, 2016, 05:39:10 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on February 24, 2016, 05:33:52 PM
Quote from: IronX on February 24, 2016, 04:39:55 PM
Pike and Shot: Campaigns. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something comforting about playing with long pointy things and balls.

'Tis a fun game, in which I've spent many a happy hour.  Pike and Shot's not bad either.

Oh, you talking about pocket pool.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Toonces on February 24, 2016, 05:56:06 PM
Thanks Rayfer.  I think I'm going to go ahead and pick it up.   O0
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Hofstadter on February 24, 2016, 07:02:30 PM
Pike and shot campaigns is amazing,

But oh my friggin god its HARD. Its quite possible the most difficult game I have played. Most of the historical battles out you on the losing side, and when i mean losing side, i mean the side that historically got completely annihilated.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Bison on February 24, 2016, 07:38:59 PM
Quote from: IronX on February 24, 2016, 04:39:55 PM
Pike and Shot: Campaigns. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something comforting about playing with long pointy things and balls.

I'm sure that if you keep beating around the bush something will eventfully come from all the effort.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: mirth on February 24, 2016, 07:40:28 PM
I've never been prouder of this group than right now.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: jomni on February 24, 2016, 08:03:28 PM
Surprisingly ended up buying Hell.  Pretty neat game.  Makes me want to mod this into "you know what".

By the way, prices are somewhat matched in the official stores so you can buy there then get a steam key together with your non-steam key.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: jomni on February 24, 2016, 08:07:30 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on February 24, 2016, 07:02:30 PM
Pike and shot campaigns is amazing,

But oh my friggin god its HARD. Its quite possible the most difficult game I have played. Most of the historical battles out you on the losing side, and when i mean losing side, i mean the side that historically got completely annihilated.

Suck it up and lower the difficulty level. Mastering it needs intimate knowledge of the rules and POA (points of advantage) system. Another tip is to keep playing skirmish. Well worth the money itself. Then download the mods. My Japanese mod and the Extra nations mod. Milage of skirmish will be greatly extended.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Con on February 24, 2016, 08:40:27 PM
Quote from: Bison on February 24, 2016, 07:38:59 PM
Quote from: IronX on February 24, 2016, 04:39:55 PM
Pike and Shot: Campaigns. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something comforting about playing with long pointy things and balls.

I'm sure that if you keep beating around the bush something will eventfully come from all the effort.

thats why I prefer solitary.  I pretty much prefer playing with my own equipment then having to borrowing someone elses
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: jamus34 on February 24, 2016, 08:45:11 PM
Hmmm decisions decisions...

Pike and Shot
SoW:Waterloo
GG WITE

Any suggestions which way to lean?
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: -budd- on February 24, 2016, 08:56:06 PM
Quote from: jomni on February 24, 2016, 08:03:28 PM
Surprisingly ended up buying Hell.  Pretty neat game.  Makes me want to mod this into "you know what".

By the way, prices are somewhat matched in the official stores so you can buy there then get a steam key together with your non-steam key.

I found Hell....well Hell...tough campaign............or i just suck
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Gusington on February 24, 2016, 09:01:34 PM
This thread is quickly becoming a favorite of mine  8)
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Philippe on February 24, 2016, 09:09:21 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on February 24, 2016, 08:45:11 PM
Hmmm decisions decisions...

Pike and Shot
SoW:Waterloo
GG WITE

Any suggestions which way to lean?

Go with Pike and Shot.

Waterloo is probably going to be a great game, but it may take a year or so to get there.

WITE is very tempting, but that's a mind-numbing amount of detail.

Pike and Shot is an astonishingly polished game, because it evolved from the Field of Glory system.  The individual battles are playable in one evening, and the AI is more than capable of handing you some embarassing defeats. The game reminds me a bit of the first Combat Mission, in that there is a small cadre of very skillful scenario designers who have probably produced more good quality scenarios than were issued with the game.  Whenever you fire up the game you have access to the database of scenarios, because it's integrated into the game and the game designer maintains it. On the negative side, the game isn't an excruciatingly accurate simulation a la Combat Mission, though it comes pretty close.  And the canned music that comes with the game is awful (which isn't a problem since there's a mod for replacing it with 17th century music).
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Con on February 24, 2016, 09:25:02 PM
I have been putting in a lot of hours recently on WitE  and I have to say its becoming a favorite of mine.

I am still on the low end of the learning curve but I am enjoying a lot on how it plays.  Still have many questions (looking at you rail repair!)

C0n
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Hofstadter on February 24, 2016, 09:34:36 PM
Waterloo is a great game, I highly reccomend it, the only problem is the tutorials out there arent very good, theres one guy called mitra that does it, but he doesnt have a mic and his videos are very very long slideshows.

I should redo the tutorials for the games I have in the same to welcome new players.

Quote from: Con on February 24, 2016, 09:25:02 PM
I have been putting in a lot of hours recently on WitE  and I have to say its becoming a favorite of mine.

I am still on the low end of the learning curve but I am enjoying a lot on how it plays.  Still have many questions (looking at you rail repair!)

C0n

Check out my tutorials on my channel. A lot of war in the west can be applied to war in the east. Rail repair is one of them.

Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Ubercat on February 24, 2016, 09:45:43 PM
Quote from: Bardolph on February 24, 2016, 01:37:11 PM
FWIW Heroes of Normandie is the only game I've ever used Steam's refund policy on.
For me it offered nothing that Battle Academy doesn't do far better while still being a "light" playable wargame.

Last week I played the HoN board game for the second time. Even though I won, I plan to never play it again. "Dull" would be my one word review. Tons of better games to spend time with.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: FarAway Sooner on February 25, 2016, 12:45:57 AM
Damn, now I'm conflicted again!  If sales like these EVER came along, I wouldn't be so conflicted.

Civil War 2 looks very intriguing and scratches my "American wargaming itch" (that's something that happens when you use your pointed thing too much), while Commander: The Great War seems to use the same basic system (less intricate system of Commanders, but it offers up technology).

Do I go with research capabilities, dramatically simplified chain of command, and an unscratched American itch?  Or do I scratch my itch by going down South and exploring the relations between my upper half and my lower half? 

I don't really have the $$ to get both...   :-[
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Bison on February 25, 2016, 01:07:06 AM
I'd just go with the engine you like better.  Besides I'm pretty sure the Americans eventually show up at some point in that WW1 thingy.  Or just scratch your thingy and remind yourself how great of an American you are.  :)
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Hofstadter on February 25, 2016, 02:14:59 AM
I caved and got Case Blue. Got my cheque today so pfft
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Raied on February 25, 2016, 04:28:49 AM
I want something WW1, should I get Commander: The great war?
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Pete Dero on February 25, 2016, 04:43:03 AM
Quote from: Raied on February 25, 2016, 04:28:49 AM
I want something WW1, should I get Commander: The great war?

To End All Wars is a bit more complex and more off a wargame :

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312360/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfm9XNvwBFG8Ogb3FSx9R8x-lqYew8XGq
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Raied on February 25, 2016, 04:53:39 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on February 25, 2016, 04:43:03 AM
Quote from: Raied on February 25, 2016, 04:28:49 AM
I want something WW1, should I get Commander: The great war?

To End All Wars is a bit more complex and more off a wargame :

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312360/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfm9XNvwBFG8Ogb3FSx9R8x-lqYew8XGq

I have to End All Wars and I really like it, the only thing I dont like is the fact that you have to play/ control the whole central power/ allies.
Also, I really appreciate AGEOD game/ engine, I feel it fit more for Napoleonic era game rather than WW1, and as I read that Commander: the great war has more feeling of that period.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Pete Dero on February 25, 2016, 07:35:05 AM
Quote from: Raied on February 25, 2016, 04:53:39 AM
I have to End All Wars and I really like it, the only thing I dont like is the fact that you have to play/ control the whole central power/ allies.
Also, I really appreciate AGEOD game/ engine, I feel it fit more for Napoleonic era game rather than WW1, and as I read that Commander: the great war has more feeling of that period.

Not on sale and no longer supported, but many here consider this the best WWI strategy (still sold by Gamersgate)

Re: WWI: Centenial Edition
« Reply #190 on: 07 March 2015, 21:14:42 »
Quote from: TacticalWargames on 07 March 2015, 20:46:46

WW1 Gold\ Centennial is still for me the best WW1 wargame, the mechanics work for all stages of the War. Next comes Squad Battles FWW and then JTS France '14. Best game set in WW1..is.. Wings Over Flanders Field Version 2...easy answer:)
I think " to end all wars" has shaped up to be a pretty good World War I game;  much better with than when it first started. World War I centennial I think is the best representation but it's done now


http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=10546.0
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Gusington on February 25, 2016, 07:44:28 AM
Commander: The Great War is solid and fun and has great PBEM.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Steelgrave on February 25, 2016, 08:03:24 AM
Just picked up Hell and Soviet Corps. I've wanted something like Soviet Corps since the original Panzer General. I'm pretty stoked but I have to keep them on the shelf until I can get DC:Barbarossa out of my bloodstream  8)
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Rayfer on February 25, 2016, 08:31:01 AM
Quote from: Gusington on February 25, 2016, 07:44:28 AM
Commander: The Great War is solid and fun and has great PBEM.

I agree with Gus. But Pete is right in what he posted about WWI: Centennial Edition....but I would add, it has a quite steep learning curve and is a much more complex game than Commander: Great War. It depends on what level of time investment and complexity you're comfortable with.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: jomni on February 25, 2016, 08:48:05 AM
Quote from: -budd- on February 24, 2016, 08:56:06 PM
Quote from: jomni on February 24, 2016, 08:03:28 PM
Surprisingly ended up buying Hell.  Pretty neat game.  Makes me want to mod this into "you know what".

By the way, prices are somewhat matched in the official stores so you can buy there then get a steam key together with your non-steam key.

I found Hell....well Hell...tough campaign............or i just suck

Yes found out.  Turned down the difficulty after losing the first mission several times.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: -budd- on February 25, 2016, 09:09:27 AM
Quote from: jomni on February 25, 2016, 08:48:05 AM
Quote from: -budd- on February 24, 2016, 08:56:06 PM
Quote from: jomni on February 24, 2016, 08:03:28 PM
Surprisingly ended up buying Hell.  Pretty neat game.  Makes me want to mod this into "you know what".

By the way, prices are somewhat matched in the official stores so you can buy there then get a steam key together with your non-steam key.

I found Hell....well Hell...tough campaign............or i just suck

Yes found out.  Turned down the difficulty after losing the first mission several times.

Wait till 8,9,10 ....chose your units wisely.I finished out of sheer stubbornness.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on February 25, 2016, 09:29:52 AM
Tempted by Pike and Shot at $24.  17th century warfare is something I know almost nothing about.

Minor-ish thing, but I really dislike that the units are not animated -- that your Tercios etc. don't actually deploy their pikes. The 'blocky' visual nature of the combatants is a bit of a turn off...
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Sir Slash on February 25, 2016, 11:08:33 AM
Resisting everything... Manfully. :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Rayfer on February 25, 2016, 11:24:48 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 25, 2016, 11:08:33 AM
Resisting everything... Manfully. :coolsmiley:

Me too...so far....but I feel the cracks forming in my willpower...not sure I can hold out another day.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Nefaro on February 25, 2016, 11:54:06 AM
I actually picked up a WW2 game... Battle Academy 2.

So good job on the sale, Slitherine.  I rarely do such a thing in recent times.   You got me!    :crazy2:


Even considered others, but my wallet is hard against the wall right now.  Poor timing!   :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: -budd- on February 25, 2016, 11:56:14 AM
Don't think resisting will be a problem for me. Got everything on that list that I REALLY wanted. I looked at legions of steel but that will be on sale again sometime. If i buy something i'm only slightly interested in, it will just go to the back of my rather large game que with i a lot of games i bought that i REALLY wanted but havent played yet. That's my logic and i'm sticking to it. Of course Tigers on the hunt just got released, but no release day sale so no reason to jump on it right away, i'll wait until i'll actually play it.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Toonces on February 25, 2016, 12:59:53 PM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 25, 2016, 12:45:57 AM
Damn, now I'm conflicted again!  If sales like these EVER came along, I wouldn't be so conflicted.

Civil War 2 looks very intriguing and scratches my "American wargaming itch" (that's something that happens when you use your pointed thing too much), while Commander: The Great War seems to use the same basic system (less intricate system of Commanders, but it offers up technology).

Do I go with research capabilities, dramatically simplified chain of command, and an unscratched American itch?  Or do I scratch my itch by going down South and exploring the relations between my upper half and my lower half? 

I don't really have the $$ to get both...   :-[

Well I picked up CW2 with the DLC for $25.  I'm curious to see how the Gettysburg campaign plays out.

I read some of the Steam reviews before I purchased, which is always frought with risk.  I almost didn't get it based on the reviews, specifically regarding its complexity and bugginess. 

In the end I got it as I'm really into the Civil War and it is certainly a robust game.  But it sounds like a real bear to get into, and I have to admit to being somewhat nervous about the learning curve.  I have a high interest level, but my patience with learning new games is getting very low anymore.  So you might want to consider what you're getting yourself into time-wise before committing to CW2 if you're leaning that way.

Can't comment on the bugs since I haven't booted it up yet.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: IronX on February 25, 2016, 01:05:26 PM
I was kind of like that with GG's War in the West. But after watching some YT vids and playing through the introductory scenario a few times I really enjoyed it and like its complexity. Just stick with it and I'm sure you'll reap the rewards.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Sir Slash on February 25, 2016, 01:18:55 PM
I got CW II and it's not that tough to get into. Getting good at it is something else. Lots of good videos to check-out with helpful tips and stuff you don't realize at first play. The tutorials helped me to get started without being overwhelmed by all the game info. Great strategy game.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: FarAway Sooner on February 25, 2016, 03:59:30 PM
Thanks to all of you!  I'm going to take the plunge and buy both after all.  It's only unemployment until I get a few good games, THEN it becomes funemployment!

Seriuosly, I'm not sure if I'll end up ever understanding CW2, but since I don't have $80 to drop on War in the West at the moment but I do have the time to play a few games (for a change!), I figure I'll try it and see.  If CW2 proves too much for me, I'll just go back to Commander: The Great War and try playing as the Germans with no army and only investing in U-Boats...
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: mirth on February 25, 2016, 08:10:27 PM
Bit on Germany Reforged for Flashpoint Campaigns.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Hofstadter on February 25, 2016, 08:14:39 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on February 25, 2016, 09:29:52 AM
Tempted by Pike and Shot at $24.  17th century warfare is something I know almost nothing about.

Minor-ish thing, but I really dislike that the units are not animated -- that your Tercios etc. don't actually deploy their pikes. The 'blocky' visual nature of the combatants is a bit of a turn off...

Fun fact, when i saw those pikes up, I didnt know they were pikes. I literally thought it was some kind of siege tower
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: jomni on February 25, 2016, 09:20:58 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on February 25, 2016, 08:14:39 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on February 25, 2016, 09:29:52 AM
Tempted by Pike and Shot at $24.  17th century warfare is something I know almost nothing about.

Minor-ish thing, but I really dislike that the units are not animated -- that your Tercios etc. don't actually deploy their pikes. The 'blocky' visual nature of the combatants is a bit of a turn off...

Fun fact, when i saw those pikes up, I didnt know they were pikes. I literally thought it was some kind of siege tower

They were meant to represent period drawings.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on February 26, 2016, 09:21:16 AM
I overall really like the art design of Pike and Shot. I just think the tactical battles are a little hampered by the somewhat clumsy unit animations (or lack thereof).
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Cyrano on February 26, 2016, 10:03:33 AM
P&S is wonderful stuff -- I dare never criticize all but the worst efforts at portraying niche warfare and this is far from that! -- but, as has been said before, is made less by the lack of leaders that are part of the tabletop experience.  They were vital to the era and their absence is off-putting.

Oh, and the relatively quick turns makes this another example of PBEM++ getting in the way of better MP.

Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Martok on February 26, 2016, 11:32:30 AM
For better or worse, I've not picked up a single game in this sale.  All the games I *really* want, I already own; and all the games I somewhat want, I just can't see myself getting around to anytime soon -- if ever.  :-\ 

Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: mirth on February 26, 2016, 11:33:50 AM
Quote from: Martok on February 26, 2016, 11:32:30 AM
...all the games I somewhat want, I just can't see myself getting around to anytime soon -- if ever.  :-\ 

You should never let that stop you.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Father Ted on February 26, 2016, 11:49:36 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on February 26, 2016, 09:21:16 AM
I overall really like the art design of Pike and Shot. I just think the tactical battles are a little hampered by the somewhat clumsy unit animations (or lack thereof).

I've played a few battles, and I find that I tend to think of the units as single entities, almost like chess pieces.  I think this is partly because of the lack of animation and partly because of the way they scoot across the "board" at 100 miles an hour.  I like the game, but like with a lot of PC games, I keep thinking, "Wouldn't it be great to blend the gameplay of X with the graphics of Y."
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on February 26, 2016, 11:59:58 AM
Quote from: Cyrano on February 26, 2016, 10:03:33 AM
but, as has been said before, is made less by the lack of leaders that are part of the tabletop experience.  They were vital to the era and their absence is off-putting.


Has there been talk of adding generals/leaders to the game? Agree that would be fantastic. The Roundheads without Cromwell seems, as you say, off-putting...
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: airboy on February 26, 2016, 12:35:23 PM
Quote from: Martok on February 26, 2016, 11:32:30 AM
For better or worse, I've not picked up a single game in this sale.  All the games I *really* want, I already own; and all the games I somewhat want, I just can't see myself getting around to anytime soon -- if ever.  :-\

Second.

I also bought a couple of games on the list three weeks ago when I finished a consulting job.

I have not played so many really excellent games that I already own that I cannot get motivated to buy more right now.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 26, 2016, 02:15:02 PM
I didn't buy any either.  I was eyeing up the DC titles but then I looked at my desktop and realized I'd already dropped close to $275 on CMANO, WiTP, and Bombing the Reich and I've haven't played any of them nearly enough.  (Except Bombing the Reich.  Worst interface and performance ever.  What a terrible luck designed game!)
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: WallysWorld on February 26, 2016, 02:58:07 PM
Bought four campaign DLC's for Panzer Corps. That's about it.
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on February 26, 2016, 05:58:40 PM
X-Pike Shotcom

:D
Title: Re: Huge Matrix sale on Steam
Post by: Greybriar on February 26, 2016, 08:22:12 PM
Quote from: Martok on February 26, 2016, 11:32:30 AM
For better or worse, I've not picked up a single game in this sale.  All the games I *really* want, I already own; and all the games I somewhat want, I just can't see myself getting around to anytime soon -- if ever.  :-\

+1  I haven't bought a new game all year.

There are enough games in my PC gaming backlog to keep me busy for years. I don't need any more added to it, although there will probably be a few "must haves" that I won't be able to resist before the year is out.