Huge Matrix sale on Steam

Started by Rayfer, February 23, 2016, 01:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mirth

I've never been prouder of this group than right now.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jomni

#61
Surprisingly ended up buying Hell.  Pretty neat game.  Makes me want to mod this into "you know what".

By the way, prices are somewhat matched in the official stores so you can buy there then get a steam key together with your non-steam key.

jomni

Quote from: Hofstadter on February 24, 2016, 07:02:30 PM
Pike and shot campaigns is amazing,

But oh my friggin god its HARD. Its quite possible the most difficult game I have played. Most of the historical battles out you on the losing side, and when i mean losing side, i mean the side that historically got completely annihilated.

Suck it up and lower the difficulty level. Mastering it needs intimate knowledge of the rules and POA (points of advantage) system. Another tip is to keep playing skirmish. Well worth the money itself. Then download the mods. My Japanese mod and the Extra nations mod. Milage of skirmish will be greatly extended.

Con

Quote from: Bison on February 24, 2016, 07:38:59 PM
Quote from: IronX on February 24, 2016, 04:39:55 PM
Pike and Shot: Campaigns. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something comforting about playing with long pointy things and balls.

I'm sure that if you keep beating around the bush something will eventfully come from all the effort.

thats why I prefer solitary.  I pretty much prefer playing with my own equipment then having to borrowing someone elses

jamus34

Hmmm decisions decisions...

Pike and Shot
SoW:Waterloo
GG WITE

Any suggestions which way to lean?
Insert witty comment here.

-budd-

Quote from: jomni on February 24, 2016, 08:03:28 PM
Surprisingly ended up buying Hell.  Pretty neat game.  Makes me want to mod this into "you know what".

By the way, prices are somewhat matched in the official stores so you can buy there then get a steam key together with your non-steam key.

I found Hell....well Hell...tough campaign............or i just suck
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

This thread is quickly becoming a favorite of mine  8)
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Philippe

Quote from: jamus34 on February 24, 2016, 08:45:11 PM
Hmmm decisions decisions...

Pike and Shot
SoW:Waterloo
GG WITE

Any suggestions which way to lean?

Go with Pike and Shot.

Waterloo is probably going to be a great game, but it may take a year or so to get there.

WITE is very tempting, but that's a mind-numbing amount of detail.

Pike and Shot is an astonishingly polished game, because it evolved from the Field of Glory system.  The individual battles are playable in one evening, and the AI is more than capable of handing you some embarassing defeats. The game reminds me a bit of the first Combat Mission, in that there is a small cadre of very skillful scenario designers who have probably produced more good quality scenarios than were issued with the game.  Whenever you fire up the game you have access to the database of scenarios, because it's integrated into the game and the game designer maintains it. On the negative side, the game isn't an excruciatingly accurate simulation a la Combat Mission, though it comes pretty close.  And the canned music that comes with the game is awful (which isn't a problem since there's a mod for replacing it with 17th century music).
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Con

I have been putting in a lot of hours recently on WitE  and I have to say its becoming a favorite of mine.

I am still on the low end of the learning curve but I am enjoying a lot on how it plays.  Still have many questions (looking at you rail repair!)

C0n

Hofstadter

#69
Waterloo is a great game, I highly reccomend it, the only problem is the tutorials out there arent very good, theres one guy called mitra that does it, but he doesnt have a mic and his videos are very very long slideshows.

I should redo the tutorials for the games I have in the same to welcome new players.

Quote from: Con on February 24, 2016, 09:25:02 PM
I have been putting in a lot of hours recently on WitE  and I have to say its becoming a favorite of mine.

I am still on the low end of the learning curve but I am enjoying a lot on how it plays.  Still have many questions (looking at you rail repair!)

C0n

Check out my tutorials on my channel. A lot of war in the west can be applied to war in the east. Rail repair is one of them.

My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Ubercat

Quote from: Bardolph on February 24, 2016, 01:37:11 PM
FWIW Heroes of Normandie is the only game I've ever used Steam's refund policy on.
For me it offered nothing that Battle Academy doesn't do far better while still being a "light" playable wargame.

Last week I played the HoN board game for the second time. Even though I won, I plan to never play it again. "Dull" would be my one word review. Tons of better games to spend time with.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

FarAway Sooner

Damn, now I'm conflicted again!  If sales like these EVER came along, I wouldn't be so conflicted.

Civil War 2 looks very intriguing and scratches my "American wargaming itch" (that's something that happens when you use your pointed thing too much), while Commander: The Great War seems to use the same basic system (less intricate system of Commanders, but it offers up technology).

Do I go with research capabilities, dramatically simplified chain of command, and an unscratched American itch?  Or do I scratch my itch by going down South and exploring the relations between my upper half and my lower half? 

I don't really have the $$ to get both...   :-[

Bison

I'd just go with the engine you like better.  Besides I'm pretty sure the Americans eventually show up at some point in that WW1 thingy.  Or just scratch your thingy and remind yourself how great of an American you are.  :)

Hofstadter

I caved and got Case Blue. Got my cheque today so pfft
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Raied

I want something WW1, should I get Commander: The great war?