GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Slick Wilhelm on February 23, 2016, 09:31:34 PM

Title: Jagged Alliance 2
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on February 23, 2016, 09:31:34 PM
Hey guys,

If you're like me, this game remains the best tactical squad-based shooter, evah! I'm playing it on Windows 10 at 1600x900, even though I could play it at 2560x1440, which was too small.

I've recently purchased it from GOG and upgraded it to version 1.13. The most recent version of 1.13 is here: http://ja2v113.pbworks.com/w/page/4218339/FrontPage (http://ja2v113.pbworks.com/w/page/4218339/FrontPage)

To get it to work correctly with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, use this thread as a guide. http://www.gog.com/forum/jagged_alliance_series/ja2_113_performance_problem_win8 (http://www.gog.com/forum/jagged_alliance_series/ja2_113_performance_problem_win8)

Here's a screen shot as a teaser. Actually, it's a picture from my smart phone of my desktop. It looks better in person. (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72144446/WP_20160223_20_17_06_Pro.jpg)

Worth every penny to get to hear Grunty say "Superlative!" and "Who do I look like, Siegfried und Roy?!"   O0




Title: Re: Jagged Alliance 2
Post by: jamus34 on February 23, 2016, 10:05:17 PM
Never got that far in it but damn I loved that game.

Wish there was an HD mod for it...imagine that game running the same engine as say PoE?
Title: Re: Jagged Alliance 2
Post by: jomni on February 23, 2016, 10:47:22 PM
I almost got to the capital. Stopped playing after I saw the rabid tigers.
Title: Re: Jagged Alliance 2
Post by: Cyrano on February 23, 2016, 11:06:20 PM
Just remember...

The boots stay on...
Title: Re: Jagged Alliance 2
Post by: Yskonyn on February 24, 2016, 03:45:43 AM
JA 2 is an all time favorite of mine!
The more recent 3D tries were not very good. I would love an HD re-release of it!
Title: Re: Jagged Alliance 2
Post by: bbmike on February 24, 2016, 06:20:58 AM
Wow, that looks nice! I have JA2 but have never played it. I loved, loved, LOVED SSI's Soldiers at War. I  may have to check this out sometime soon.
Title: Re: Jagged Alliance 2
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on February 24, 2016, 09:28:10 AM
Since a couple of you have made comments regarding HD, it can be played in HD. As I said before, I was playing it at 2560x1440, and the graphics were very crisp. But, my aging eyes decided the resolution was too small to view comfortably.

Title: Re: Jagged Alliance 2
Post by: Nefaro on February 25, 2016, 12:03:34 PM
I've picked up a few classic turn-based squad games from GOG in the past couple years.  Some of the best there were..

Jagged Alliance 2
Silent Storm
Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate



Although ostensibly an RPG, I think Temple Of Elemental Evil was also very much a squad-based tactical game, albeit in a D&D 3.5 setting.
Title: Re: Jagged Alliance 2
Post by: KyzBP on February 25, 2016, 12:50:44 PM
Am I to believe there are members people who belong to the Grogheads forums that have not played Jagged Alliance 2?  Blasphemy!

To me, this is one of my Top 3 Games of All Time.

The 1.13 makes it great and stable.  Check the Tons Of Guns option before starting.

Play This!!!

Title: Re: Jagged Alliance 2
Post by: Philippe on February 25, 2016, 01:13:42 PM
I'm embarassed to admit that I've only played on the Sci-Fi settings, and never actually finished a game because while I was closing in on the capital I was spending all of my time shuttling supplies and equipment between my main depot,  my forward depot, my repair shop, and my hospital.  It probably wasn't supposed to be a logistics game, but if you're anal enough it can turn into one.  If you play that way it's a really long game, but you get to experience the importance of only having weapons that use the same kind of ammunition.

My favorite moment in the Sci-Fi version was down in the [censored ] when my party first encountered the [censored ] and my two medical types started arguing about whether what they had just seen was a [censored adjective] [censored noun] or a [censored adjective] [censored noun].
Title: Re: Jagged Alliance 2
Post by: bbmike on February 25, 2016, 01:21:46 PM
Sci-Fi settings?
Title: Re: Jagged Alliance 2
Post by: Shelldrake on February 25, 2016, 01:58:22 PM
Quote from: bbmike on February 25, 2016, 01:21:46 PM
Sci-Fi settings?

Yep! Guns vs them.
Title: Re: Jagged Alliance 2
Post by: Philippe on February 25, 2016, 02:11:25 PM
Tons of guns.