Main Menu

Jagged Alliance 2

Started by Slick Wilhelm, February 23, 2016, 09:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Slick Wilhelm

Hey guys,

If you're like me, this game remains the best tactical squad-based shooter, evah! I'm playing it on Windows 10 at 1600x900, even though I could play it at 2560x1440, which was too small.

I've recently purchased it from GOG and upgraded it to version 1.13. The most recent version of 1.13 is here: http://ja2v113.pbworks.com/w/page/4218339/FrontPage

To get it to work correctly with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, use this thread as a guide. http://www.gog.com/forum/jagged_alliance_series/ja2_113_performance_problem_win8

Here's a screen shot as a teaser. Actually, it's a picture from my smart phone of my desktop. It looks better in person.

Worth every penny to get to hear Grunty say "Superlative!" and "Who do I look like, Siegfried und Roy?!"   O0





jamus34

Never got that far in it but damn I loved that game.

Wish there was an HD mod for it...imagine that game running the same engine as say PoE?
Insert witty comment here.

jomni

I almost got to the capital. Stopped playing after I saw the rabid tigers.

Cyrano

Just remember...

The boots stay on...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Yskonyn

JA 2 is an all time favorite of mine!
The more recent 3D tries were not very good. I would love an HD re-release of it!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bbmike

Wow, that looks nice! I have JA2 but have never played it. I loved, loved, LOVED SSI's Soldiers at War. I  may have to check this out sometime soon.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Slick Wilhelm

Since a couple of you have made comments regarding HD, it can be played in HD. As I said before, I was playing it at 2560x1440, and the graphics were very crisp. But, my aging eyes decided the resolution was too small to view comfortably.


Nefaro

I've picked up a few classic turn-based squad games from GOG in the past couple years.  Some of the best there were..

Jagged Alliance 2
Silent Storm
Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate



Although ostensibly an RPG, I think Temple Of Elemental Evil was also very much a squad-based tactical game, albeit in a D&D 3.5 setting.

KyzBP

Am I to believe there are members people who belong to the Grogheads forums that have not played Jagged Alliance 2?  Blasphemy!

To me, this is one of my Top 3 Games of All Time.

The 1.13 makes it great and stable.  Check the Tons Of Guns option before starting.

Play This!!!


Philippe

I'm embarassed to admit that I've only played on the Sci-Fi settings, and never actually finished a game because while I was closing in on the capital I was spending all of my time shuttling supplies and equipment between my main depot,  my forward depot, my repair shop, and my hospital.  It probably wasn't supposed to be a logistics game, but if you're anal enough it can turn into one.  If you play that way it's a really long game, but you get to experience the importance of only having weapons that use the same kind of ammunition.

My favorite moment in the Sci-Fi version was down in the [censored ] when my party first encountered the [censored ] and my two medical types started arguing about whether what they had just seen was a [censored adjective] [censored noun] or a [censored adjective] [censored noun].
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Philippe

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.