GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Nefaro on September 01, 2016, 11:37:11 AM

Title: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Nefaro on September 01, 2016, 11:37:11 AM
Didn't see this new & improved version coming.

Only $5 right now.


http://store.steampowered.com/app/475150/

http://www.gog.com/game/titan_quest_anniversary_edition



QuoteAnniversary Features:

• Restored and improved multiplayer functionality, including new features like a built-in voice chat and NAT resolving for best multiplayer connectivity
• Support for more resolutions, larger camera distance and scaleable UI size
• Improved performance and general stability
• Complete balance rework with improvements to all Masteries, damage types, unique items and sets
• Countless bug fixes and other improvements, including ten years' worth of community fixes
• Increased challenges and rewards for larger parties and on higher difficulty levels
• Dozens of new heroes and bosses to encounter
• Improved enemy and pet AI
• Quality of life features like higher stack limits, quick item pickup, a larger stash and a speed setting
• Reduced cheating with curbed exploits, removal of test items and mod comparison in multiplayer



Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: DennisS on September 01, 2016, 01:12:21 PM
This is a very good game. For several years, I rated this as high as Diablo II, or Sacred. Same sort of game...very well done, very polished.
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Tpek on September 01, 2016, 01:30:29 PM
Weirdly enough, I was just reminiscing about this game a day ago... then suddenly I see this Anniversary Edition for purchase on Steam for 5$ :P
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Nefaro on September 01, 2016, 01:45:35 PM
Anniversary Edition update notes:


http://titanquestgame.com/pcchangelog/TQ_AnniversaryEdition_FullChangelog.txt


That's an assload of goodies.


I just hope I can bind a key to the move/attack function (same as LMB) now.

Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: JasonPratt on September 01, 2016, 03:15:01 PM
I was willing to pay $5 for what amounts to an extended patch/update, but it seems to be free if you already own the Gold edition of the game on Steam!  :o
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 01, 2016, 05:57:51 PM
Never played the original....maybe a purchase.
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Nefaro on September 01, 2016, 06:09:54 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 01, 2016, 03:15:01 PM
I was willing to pay $5 for what amounts to an extended patch/update, but it seems to be free if you already own the Gold edition of the game on Steam!  :o

I didn't have a copy on Steam.  But it was a no-brainer for what is essentially a DLC + extensive bug fixes to an old favorite, for $5.
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: DennisS on September 02, 2016, 03:17:16 PM
I purchased this earlier today. What a great game! I had forgotten just was a good game this is.

THIS is as good as either (take your choice!): Diablo II, Diablo III, Borderlands, Torchlight, or Sacred Gold.
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 02, 2016, 03:34:29 PM
So what makes it good compared to other rpg games?
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 03, 2016, 07:33:56 AM
I noticed there was a demo on steam, so gave that a try....its not bad, actually seems like an OK game...but....if I already own Grim Dawn, Pillars, and Wasteland, does this really offer any more?
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: JasonPratt on September 03, 2016, 08:21:20 AM
It doesn't really compare to Pillars, Grim Dawn, etc. (one could add Dungeon Siege and the various Bioware game series back to Balder's Gate), since they're more specifically RPGs with some action; it compares with ARPGs, which are more action oriented with some light RPG elements. Thus the Diablo series, the Torchlight series, the Sacred series (mostly?)
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Nefaro on September 03, 2016, 08:58:21 AM
Of course... it's an ARPG like Diablo.

Actually, so is Grim Dawn.
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Tpek on September 03, 2016, 01:16:53 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 03, 2016, 08:58:21 AM
Of course... it's an ARPG like Diablo.

Actually, so is Grim Dawn.

Grim Dawn is very much like this game in terms of how "Classes" are handled.
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 03, 2016, 03:20:56 PM
When I played the demo, I do believe it felt like Grim Dawn the most and based on how you guys described it, seems like the reason is it is action-based.  That's the part of the game I am not sure about....it is a lot of hack/slash, kill hordes of monsters...its only $5 so may still pick up, just not sure how much I would actually play.
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Nefaro on September 03, 2016, 05:11:34 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 03, 2016, 03:20:56 PM
When I played the demo, I do believe it felt like Grim Dawn the most and based on how you guys described it, seems like the reason is it is action-based.  That's the part of the game I am not sure about....it is a lot of hack/slash, kill hordes of monsters...its only $5 so may still pick up, just not sure how much I would actually play.


The core mechanics are essentially the same as Grim Dawn.  Because Titan Quest was the old ARPG created by the same dev crew, and was one of the better to come out of the genre over the years. 

You play one, you'll recognize the same stats in the other.  Different settings.  I actually think Grim Dawn has less personality, despite being the much younger game with a few more features.  The Greek & Egyptian mythological settings of Titan Quest is still pretty cool compared to the generic dark fantasy of Grim Dawn IMO.  But they're both very similar.
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 03, 2016, 05:15:36 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 03, 2016, 05:11:34 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 03, 2016, 03:20:56 PM
When I played the demo, I do believe it felt like Grim Dawn the most and based on how you guys described it, seems like the reason is it is action-based.  That's the part of the game I am not sure about....it is a lot of hack/slash, kill hordes of monsters...its only $5 so may still pick up, just not sure how much I would actually play.


The core mechanics are essentially the same as Grim Dawn.  Because Titan Quest was the old ARPG created by the same dev crew, and was one of the better to come out of the genre over the years. 

You play one, you'll recognize the same stats in the other.  Different settings.  I actually think Grim Dawn has less personality, despite being the much younger game with a few more features.  The Greek & Egyptian mythological settings of Titan Quest is still pretty cool compared to the generic dark fantasy of Grim Dawn IMO.  But they're both very similar.

Well that makes sense if same dev crew...had no idea.
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Nefaro on September 03, 2016, 05:25:33 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 03, 2016, 05:15:36 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 03, 2016, 05:11:34 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 03, 2016, 03:20:56 PM
When I played the demo, I do believe it felt like Grim Dawn the most and based on how you guys described it, seems like the reason is it is action-based.  That's the part of the game I am not sure about....it is a lot of hack/slash, kill hordes of monsters...its only $5 so may still pick up, just not sure how much I would actually play.


The core mechanics are essentially the same as Grim Dawn.  Because Titan Quest was the old ARPG created by the same dev crew, and was one of the better to come out of the genre over the years. 

You play one, you'll recognize the same stats in the other.  Different settings.  I actually think Grim Dawn has less personality, despite being the much younger game with a few more features.  The Greek & Egyptian mythological settings of Titan Quest is still pretty cool compared to the generic dark fantasy of Grim Dawn IMO.  But they're both very similar.

Well that makes sense if same dev crew...had no idea.

Yep!

It was a big selling point for Grim Dawn's early access.  Many people enjoyed Titan Quest & it's expansion years ago, and were excited to check out another from the same people (myself included).

Unfortunately, GD's frame rates were back & forth for me the few times I played it after release.  Even after adjusting the gfx settings around.  :-\  Not horrid, but the constant changes must've given me some eye strain & a bit of a headache so it was shelved for the time being.
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 05, 2016, 06:34:47 AM
So of course I bought this:)  Have to admit, so far enjoying it...seems a little easier to get into versus some of the other games like this....don't get me wrong, a lot of hack and slash, but hasn't gotten boring yet....and for $4, hard to go wrong.  Some reason the character management and weapons are easier to understand for me.....the inventory management is a little tough because you have to arrange in available space, but that adds to the strategy I guess.
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Nefaro on September 05, 2016, 11:39:35 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 05, 2016, 06:34:47 AM
So of course I bought this:)  Have to admit, so far enjoying it...seems a little easier to get into versus some of the other games like this....don't get me wrong, a lot of hack and slash, but hasn't gotten boring yet....and for $4, hard to go wrong.  Some reason the character management and weapons are easier to understand for me.....

It starts off really simple.  The specializations come slowly, after your skill points are spent in the first, and eventually second, specs.  Just like Grim Dawn, but without the extra Star Chart thing.

Quote
..the inventory management is a little tough because you have to arrange in available space, but that adds to the strategy I guess.

There is an Auto-Sort button at the top left of your inventory.  Has a symbol with small squares and an arrow between them iirc.  Just keep hitting that until your inventory has been re-packed to your liking. 

Don't expect to be looting everything, for purposes of selling to the vendor, unless you plan on constantly taking the town portal back & forth.  Just sell the higher rarity ones you don't need or don't plan on putting in your Transfer vault for future characters of a different spec.

I'd also suggest toggling on 'Z' (iirc) so loot drops, on the ground, are all showing. 
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: Ubercat on September 05, 2016, 10:14:39 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 05, 2016, 11:39:35 AM
I'd also suggest toggling on 'Z' (iirc) so loot drops, on the ground, are all showing.

I think it's 'Alt'.
Title: Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
Post by: jamus34 on September 06, 2016, 05:43:44 AM
I think z toggles all loot and alt toggle everything normal quality and above.