I've had so much fun with Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 that I thought I'd share a few things.
Thus far I've sunk way too many hours in this game (especially since I've been on vacation), and built up my experience and bank account to the point where I have just about all the upgrades (OBD scanner, compressor, dyno testing, repair bench at 50%, etc.). I just tonight added the Parking add-on, which lets you go to an auction house and bid against the AI on cars that you can refurbish and sell.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882126516%2FFF65B95670ED20C0EA74A7823E0DEF7171FF41FF%2F&hash=2ec522b05cfad54bf7d0718b9d77344fdcf662bb)
I also added a few DLC tonight. Notably, in the above picture, a Maserati (in the background, on the left-hand lift) and a DeLorean. :)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882127175%2FDC0367B062055F45155EF491D68A8EF3542041ED%2F&hash=9eedb58bc32bafdd8f2a2965f5dcabb90057dae8)
The Maserati was a piece of work; I had to take off the entire back end of the damn thing to replace its rear axle, not to mention repair a ton of other things wrong with it there, too.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882127480%2FE880B61C3B7FBC994DFE66C1C67E86B2CFD20916%2F&hash=f5eacd232be14a1b887ff910e415304783a45334)
But, that and the DeLorean got me over the 9000 XP I needed to buy the Parking addition to my garage, allowing me to store vehicles and purchase them at auction.
I was pretty stoked to get to the auction and check out how this works!
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882128170%2F6914F7E7E26F654D626BC95FBB02AC9CF95F9FA1%2F&hash=e0868f145684e12a7f084fa4e8dd76bdcd2fdf9b)
The environment is pretty neat; they roll in the cars like you might see in a regular auto auction. Though these cars apparently have poltergeists pushing them because they move by themselves. Magic!
Anyway, yeah, look at that POS. I think it went for over six grand. I didn't bid on it, because look at what number 4 is: a DeLorean SciFi.
I thought, "What the hell is a DeLorean SciFi?"
I'd have to wait a few more cars to find out...
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882128532%2F7D6859A9DC709D9CBB00AB2715B19000432687B9%2F&hash=c4837ccc1771596caab9575bb8f755b1eb405264)
Several more heaps passed through, most looking like they were on their way to a crusher.
Then out came "my" DeLorean!
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882128742%2F5A35409BAF9CF3EF125D99CA437744E468BA8A52%2F&hash=fa8f724832b138a96459552b740acdda5a1423b8)
It was pretty awesome...the Back to the Future theme played (the instrumental, not the Huey Lewis song) as it rolled out onto the carpet. I thought, "I HAVE to have this." But, after dropping 50 grand for the Parking expansion, I only had 22 thousand to play with. And I really didn't want to spend every penny on a car and have nothing to work with. I'd have to go back to the garage and fix a ton of vehicles and make some cash to refurbish whatever it is I ended up buying...but I thought this DeLorean would be a great reason to skirt the bankruptcy edge!
Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. The damnable AI kept out-bidding me, even when I'd wait for the timer clock to get near the end. Someone wanted it way worse than I did and had deeper pockets; it went for close to 28 grand. :(
Ah well. There will be others, I hope. I mean, it IS a time machine and all.
All was not entirely lost; I went home with a Salem Spectre Fastback. Basically, a frikkin' Mustang.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882128952%2F23088BF5152FEC63C8E355C1A99C5C09CB9ABB81%2F&hash=687d6c41a1ab1afcfba07b09b91b3f0f8ee382c7)
But she's pretty nice looking, even with missing body parts and an engine with more rust than a Jawa junkyard.
Though I can see potential in this junker, she has a LOT of problems. I did all the tests I could on her...
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882131304%2FAA0BDF0E795B7EEEBEF088E60FC98F7B72384456%2F&hash=4e21a4e366c3d0059336b626f38b2f8163eb4034)
The lists just piled on what a money sink this thing is going to be...but oh well, part of the fun of this game is figuring things out. It'll be interesting to see if I can make this look perfect and sell it for a tidy sum later.
I did everything my garage was equipped to do to figure out what needed to be fixed on it.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882130694%2F9B7FB5BCF8F4B2E9A44BD421D68DD321A5B50883%2F&hash=274fbb91033b822c3b4048d667c58c77af27dfbf)
Even eyeballed the engine. And boy, it's a mess.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882131611%2FA2DE68E3F891FCD6020E8CDE623052DD886026A9%2F&hash=39803ab62ac831208c2078b7553d58b0c64992c4)
As you can see, I spent just over 15K on it.
Well...okay, almost 16K. :-[
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882130453%2F7CF124546920C0FBD7D61D59A38B84349063AD46%2F&hash=45f56d26243eb932f5f61d4230d4ec670ac5864d)
I was down to just over six thousand in the bank after this little purchase.
First things, first. I did a little cosmetic work on her, putting body parts into places where she had no body parts (the trunk, the left door, and the right front fender).
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882131821%2F7E601CBC81234DF7ABA3701240D768D624AD7C84%2F&hash=2e0aadf71e519aafc723b5ae86e7048bc7296c8a)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882132066%2F1A46F0DDDBE6A280F0A1361C64D54A2C02775D04%2F&hash=00b71da09564e81b44675f87e17c09bb31b97c61)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882132311%2F80C0D97368C8BF170006686B915EDACC166D0389%2F&hash=d710bf9de8393454990b544235ad1229c796edd2)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882132535%2F9CC2202A558E793CB468CCBBF7B013804A2365F7%2F&hash=c149cd74ca2f78b72cec3f871be340f706073139)
It's a start. I'll need to put in more hours in the garage to earn some more money to every so often put more work into it.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882132728%2F259C9A7F4B9EDC72D4864CC40F8013A3E5449F9A%2F&hash=f8c341923add67e4336c1e72b237e4fe0b6fe4b6)
I'll keep updating this thread as I make progress on it. And maybe I'll finally get lucky and get a DeLorean. 8)
Bastrud! >:(
...shambles off to buy yet another game...
Dumb question....I am horrible with cars and fixing them in real life...know really nothing about them except for putting gas in them and taking them into the shop for maintenance as needed:)
Is this purely a game or do you actually learn anything about cars as you play? I wouldn't mind potentially getting this if I actually walked away with some knowledge, although I am certainly not thinking I could walk away and actually fix a car when done:)
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 27, 2016, 07:28:43 AM
Is this purely a game or do you actually learn anything about cars as you play? I wouldn't mind potentially getting this if I actually walked away with some knowledge, although I am certainly not thinking I could walk away and actually fix a car when done:)
Not a dumb question at all...because I'm completely in the dark when it comes to working on cars, too. I've never been shown anything about them. So I had zero knowledge myself entering into this game.
CMS 2015 is a bit more challenging than 2014, because 2015's tutorial really isn't a tutorial at all. You won't have your hand held and be shown where everything is on a car. You WILL start off slowly with simple things needing to be done, so a LOT is left to you to learn how to poke around and find things on each vehicle. Initially simple fixes like brakes are given to you, and then you delve slowly but surely into more complex fixes (such as needing to take an engine completely apart, replace broken parts, and then put it all back together again).
It's very simple, though - there's a Disassemble Mode and an Assemble Mode. In Disassemble, you of course remove parts. If you want to remove a part but when you highlight it, other parts are highlighted in red, it means you need to remove those parts first. So it gives you a little 'path' of deduction to go through to find what you need to remove first to get to what you want to replace. Assemble mode puts 'ghost' images of parts into your view so you know what needs to go on next. This is very helpful when you're starting out, but it's still relatively easy to forget certain things (like spark plugs or belts) because the game doesn't tell you 'hey you can't put this on until you put that on," so you have to pay a bit of attention.
As for realism, I don't know - like I said I don't know a lot about cars. But it's very much fun to play around with. If you enjoy building things you'll probably like this a lot. I imagine a Google search will show you if it's realistic or not (I keep meaning to do that myself but just don't think about it). Now I have my daughter giving me the evil eye because she wants donuts and I'm not moving, so I'll once again not get to it probably.
Downloaded the demo, which seems pretty full but maybe it doesn't let you advance.
Anyway, went through the repair of my first car. A little frustrating as it doesn't tell you how to do some things but a little work poking around and you can get stuff done.
So I'll now go back and buy the program and some of the DLC, but probably not the licenced cars... yet...
As for how real it is, it has the basic connections of things so you have to do things in sequence like you would on a real car, like you can't change brakes without removing the wheel first.
It's much easier than in real life because you always have the right tool in your hand to remove any nuts/bolts/bushings, ie you don't have to dig around in yer tool box trying to find the right socket. :bd:
As the repair tasks get tougher to diagnose it would probably be good to have a basic knowledge of how different car systems work.
I think you could probably pick up some basic knowledge of the workings of your car from this.
Thanks again B_C. :knuppel2:
I was going to post a review to Steam somewhere along these lines:
QuoteBefore Car Mechanic Simulator 2015:
Dafuq is an oil?
After Car Mechanic Simulator 2015:
Probably the flywheel and/or plate under the gear box. I gotta get the starter off through the engine bay before I hoist it up on the lifter and take the drive shaft off and then the gear box before I can poke around and be sure. Though the noise could be your inner tie rod; those things are weak as hell on these model cars.
Etc.
I enjoy figuring things out. I admit that my first two or three starts with this game were epic frustration because I couldn't possibly know where the hell everything is on a car. But, as Barth said, it gets easier the more you take things apart. This is DEFINITELY a game where you learn by doing, and I have tremendous appreciation for that.
The added car DLCs are awesome (I started with Pickups and SUVs, then last night added DeLorean, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz, Performance DLC (to get access to the Dyno room), Trader Pack (which adds a lot more cars), and Visual Tuning (which escapes me momentarily what that does). The Youngtimer DLC (which is that piece of shite Maluch) should be automatically added to your game once you buy the base. And through January 2, the DLC prices are very reasonable.
Quote from: Barthheart on December 27, 2016, 09:45:34 AM
Downloaded the demo, which seems pretty full but maybe it doesn't let you advance.
Anyway, went through the repair of my first car. A little frustrating as it doesn't tell you how to do some things but a little work poking around and you can get stuff done.
So I'll now go back and buy the program and some of the DLC, but probably not the licenced cars... yet...
As for how real it is, it has the basic connections of things so you have to do things in sequence like you would on a real car, like you can't change brakes without removing the wheel first.
It's much easier than in real life because you always have the right tool in your hand to remove any nuts/bolts/bushings, ie you don't have to dig around in yer tool box trying to find the right socket. :bd:
As the repair tasks get tougher to diagnose it would probably be good to have a basic knowledge of how different car systems work.
I think you could probably pick up some basic knowledge of the workings of your car from this.
Thanks again B_C. :knuppel2:
Wasn't aware of the demo, will give that a try first...thanks.
I have very little interest in cars, or repairing/modifying them so I will most likely skip over this one.
However, this does remind me of Wold of Guns: Gun Disassembly, that i have found extremely useful as a refresher and educational supplement. I've also had a lot of fun with some of the game modes, ie. timed disassembly and reassembly, etc.
If you have even a passing interest in firearms, you may want to check this one out too...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/262410/ (http://store.steampowered.com/app/262410/)
As an aside, there are other objects to explore and interact with, including cars and armored vehicles, and skeletons...
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 27, 2016, 11:07:50 AM
If you have even a passing interest in firearms, you may want to check this one out too...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/262410/ (http://store.steampowered.com/app/262410/)
That looks damned cool.
I just finished refurbishing that Musta...err, I mean, Salem Spectre Fastback. ;)
It looked like this when I bought it:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734882129839%2F6AF94F8CA1C8160D3DBA114F4B2ED862E94ECB06%2F&hash=e9bf1fab44ee0bfaa7c7afd57086ba5e57455c4b)
I had to pump up my XP to over 12000 so I could unlock all of the Repair levels; the top Repair level lets you make the body of the car pristine. There are several parts you cannot replace unless you have this skill maxed out.
You can see what I mean in this image of the Fastback: note the rust spots all over the body.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734886434113%2F90F110D375D47DDBDF50AB37DB65EA1FF6145576%2F&hash=b258fd5119e9e5d842f5be6e9dbe7cdcf7a79e94)
My goal from the beginning of this was to replace EVERYTHING on the car - all parts, all pieces, break down the engine to the block and even replace that. Everything on this car that I could touch, I wanted it to be at 100% condition.
Once I got my repair skill maxed, I was able to fix her up right and finish everything.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734886434932%2F93E7BDDC75821CC77C493673DA3EDD82A5D325F9%2F&hash=dc4c16de5047a321985fa0079c182af9610ab7e7)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734886434608%2FA71C9C7F452F97E2CC611615DC1828C4CE341770%2F&hash=db761391c44049b71072dc67f546984dbcc07d4f)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734886435203%2FC0D0FC64560D837DA8276A208CC23944BBC2CB2C%2F&hash=4df011465443464fa6555bfc5b978d13de9024c1)
I was able to sell the thing for a ridiculous amount of money.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734886435466%2FC554A6AE7D9474B28FEE909BC9D940800E0BF0C9%2F&hash=df9895234931aa1e68a62589d2184e24f25f5061)
I didn't bother to run it on the drag strip because I was too afraid I'd wreck the thing. I'll need to get something out there to experience that side of the game, though.
The end result was I had 97K in the bank!
So I did what any normal person would do and went right back to the auction.
Sure enough, there was 'another' DeLorean SciFi on the auction block. I felt more comfortable being able to buy it again. And it is still truly awesome to hear that BTTF music instrumental play when it's rolled out.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734886436509%2F379D6BCB24CD6BA9DC5EAAA36F7B659520644166%2F&hash=fd20fa3e506fd64cfdc4f5e073e531d92e87f6c0)
I ended up dropping just over 30K on it, but I'm cool with that.
It's my understanding that if you take this version of the car to the drag strip and get it up to 88 mph, something "interesting" happens. :)
I'm sure I could find it on YouTube somewhere, but I'd rather be surprised, so I'll see it when I get there.
I was so cool with dropping 30 grand on a DeLorean (pretty cheap, actually, considering most of them go for 50K these days, as is) that I went ahead and bid on, and won, a Maserati Sebring (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maserati_Sebring).
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734886437303%2FA25473DF9E5E7C0415816DFC46358919EBCAE1F0%2F&hash=8a2398d680ae5310b2634edddca4859247f6c5f6)
It's definitely a piece of shit, but it's a Maserati piece of shit, so it should fix up very nicely.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734886439784%2FF363543D4883EFE60C37649A47764A02D0C5D958%2F&hash=cf996ddb554bd44722d83f0def84804d063f9111)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734886439511%2F89DB47771AEFE3A64F9160D4BC8B03E9115FA067%2F&hash=489ac609a405696dbc76ec51c1e64375c88725f0)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107356734886440049%2FF3CC60850AB249AED3838D5DA9C89518FA0A46D1%2F&hash=dc8bcaa6ff3e0fe8571df9148266391e7ce81a4a)
I might work on the Maserati first and then the DeLorean. I have plenty more cash on hand now than I did with that Fastback, so I might be able to fix it up completely. It would be cool if I could get this to being self-sustaining and ONLY work on refurbishing busted-up junk traps to brand new, pristine condition and sell 'em.
I should mention, I recommend that you play music through Windows Media Player, or Spotify, or SiriusXM online, or however you want to do it, and shut off the Euro-trash dance club music. Unless you like it, in which case more power to you, but it repeats pretty quickly and gets boring really fast. I'll listen to Opie and Jimmy through SiriusXM online while I 'work,' heh.
I'm not seeing how my experience increases except when you finish a job you get 100 XP... but it does seem to creep up as you work on a car... is that right? I only just got to 2500 or so and it seems to take fer ever.
I also just learned that you need to drail oil properly or you get charged $100 for the clean up (which seems to be imaginary as I've never seen oil on the floor)
9000 XP to get to the parking lot so I can then buy cars at auction seems like a long way away.... :(
Quote from: Barthheart on December 27, 2016, 09:29:31 PM
I'm not seeing how my experience increases except when you finish a job you get 100 XP... but it does seem to creep up as you work on a car... is that right? I only just got to 2500 or so and it seems to take fer ever.
Yep, you get bits and pieces while you do stuff. Always try to pick the vehicle that has the most things going on with it...not only will it mean more XP and cash, but it will also give you more real in-game experience as you learn the different cars.
Quote from: Barthheart on December 27, 2016, 09:29:31 PM
I also just learned that you need to drail oil properly or you get charged $100 for the clean up (which seems to be imaginary as I've never seen oil on the floor)
LOL. Yeah, that's a bitch. I had to look it up online; it's something that drove me nuts about the 2014 version of the game (which I didn't get much into, maybe 2 hours total compared to 33 hours total on 2015 thus far.
Quote from: Barthheart on December 27, 2016, 09:29:31 PM9000 XP to get to the parking lot so I can then buy cars at auction seems like a long way away.... :(
It is a while away, but think of it this way - you'll learn more about these vehicles so when you're going to refurbish 'em, you'll have a good idea of how to move around them and how to fix them.
The percentage thing can be a bit tricky, too...where it says something about fixing everything above a certain percentage level. The lower that percentage level, the less you can eyeball the parts and tell what needs to be fixed...you'll have to rely more on your meters and test paths and other things. Or, just do it the old fashioned way...take the damn thing apart and when you do, the part's condition will be displayed.
Parts that need to be replaced are always a LOT lower in percentage condition than the percent level the game fixes for the car. So, if the percentage is at, say, 54%, your damaged parts that need replacing will be 20% or less most likely.
Taking the car to the abandoned warehouse track is always a quick way of telling what the condition of the brakes and suspension is...at least, most of it. Careful, though...it can be a bitch to control some of those cars. I've not yet crashed but I've come awfully close, especially in those damnable Maluchs. (I won't work on those anymore, I immediately decline those jobs.)
By the way, there's no penalty for declining jobs. At this stage you'll get a few that say they're not available until you reach a certain amount of XP, but they'll be in your phone queue. Feel free to decline those jobs if you want stuff you can work on.
I never had more than one car in my garage at a time, with maybe one exception - I put two in there, one on one lifter and one on the other, though I can't remember why. I'd rather just focus on one car at a time.
LOL! I've only worked on one Maluch... never again... what a convoluted junk heap. :P
Still not sure if the $100 penalty is enough to make me change oil eh proper way... just taking the oil pan off is soooo much faster. L:-)
Did you know that someone has worked out the real names for the cars in the game and you can easily edit a text file to change them... probably going to do this.... Salem Spectre Fastback just doesn't cut it fer me. :idiot2:
Quote from: Barthheart on December 27, 2016, 10:19:22 PM
LOL! I've only worked on one Maluch... never again... what a convoluted junk heap. :P
Still not sure if the $100 penalty is enough to make me change oil eh proper way... just taking the oil pan off is soooo much faster. L:-)
Did you know that someone has worked out the real names for the cars in the game and you can easily edit a text file to change them... probably going to do this.... Salem Spectre Fastback just doesn't cut it fer me. :idiot2:
Really? If you do, let me know where your source info is/how to do it. I'd love to change those names too. Though the names on the cars themselves won't change, except for the name-brand DLC stuff (like the Maserati and Mercedes).
I don't know if there's some Euro influence in this game but it feels like it. I think the oil drain thing is part of it. Did you figure out how to do it? Basically you put it up on a lift, then take the oil drainage Tom Servo looking thing and drag it under the engine. Move your view all the way up just before you go under the car, then walk under it and have your little center reticule (the white dot) lined up with the oil pan drain plug. Move a bit more past it and hit Esc. Voila, you should always be good, there. I've not had an accident yet doing it that way.
Damn you BC :pullhair: :pullhair:
The name thing is in one of the Community guides on Steam just look for names change or something like that.
Yeah, I got the oil catcher to work... just seems more busy work than I'm willing to put up with for $100... there's also a mark on the floor... apparently... haven't looked for it.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 28, 2016, 01:48:30 AM
Damn you BC :pullhair: :pullhair:
DO IT! It's relaxing fun. :bd:
lol - I've already done it - AND the DLC!
I tried the first part today. Fixed an outer something or other...took the wheel off, removed the faulty part, ordered the new part, fitted the new part, fitted the wheel and made my money.
These damned simulator games are freaking addictive as hell
<:-) :bd: :clap:
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 28, 2016, 08:39:39 AM
lol - I've already done it - AND the DLC!
Why am I not surprised? :crazy2:
I think I might need this game.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 27, 2016, 07:28:43 AM
Dumb question....I am horrible with cars and fixing them in real life...know really nothing about them except for putting gas in them and taking them into the shop for maintenance as needed:)
Is this purely a game or do you actually learn anything about cars as you play? I wouldn't mind potentially getting this if I actually walked away with some knowledge, although I am certainly not thinking I could walk away and actually fix a car when done:)
A very true story here, Grim.
I bought this game for my son last week and found myself playing the crap out of it. 2 days later my wife's brakes start making a horrible noise. Usually I'd take it to a shop and spend a bunch of money having someone else do it. This game gave me the confidence to try and fix it myself. The neighbor's garage, a YouTube video, and a trip to the auto parts store later...I was able to change her rotor and pads. The game already paid for itself 10 times over. O0
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Frs279.pbsrc.com%2Falbums%2Fkk157%2Fdyedinthewool%2FSmilies%2Fmuahaha.gif%7Ec200&hash=633d01da9e9756d497c61e6b9fb730c12b37be3e)
Sitting on the deck playing this and my wife thinks I'm nuts or weird or both. "Just a sec Honey, I gotta finish changing out the flywheel on this truck then we can have lunch." "You're weird." "What? Damn alternator is in the way." :nerd:
LLLLLLLllllllllllll :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: don't forget to remove the starter from under the car before you can remove the gear box
I've thoroughly played the demo.
But I just don't see how much fun this can be in the long run.
It looks too repetitive and shallow to fully entertain once you grind for all the upgrades.
Quote from: Tpek on December 28, 2016, 03:24:20 PM
I've thoroughly played the demo.
But I just don't see how much fun this can be in the long run.
It looks too repetitive and shallow to fully entertain once you grind for all the upgrades.
To be honest I'm starting to see that.
With refurbishing vehicles, only the classics make sense. I mean, I could redo some rinky-dink little mid-sized car, but who in their right mind would pay 50-60K for one? That makes little to no sense.
Once I get bored refurbishing those classics, what then? Well, to be more honest, I've gotten 35 hours of enjoyment out of a game that's cost me maybe a hair over ten bucks. That's not a bad exchange ratio of cost to entertainment. 8)
And that's if I stop playing it now, of course.
Quote from: Tpek on December 28, 2016, 03:24:20 PM
I've thoroughly played the demo.
But I just don't see how much fun this can be in the long run.
It looks too repetitive and shallow to fully entertain once you grind for all the upgrades.
Sounds like a job or something :P
I'm with B_C, fer $10 it's a fun distraction. For that price who cares if it's got legs.
Still have to try out hard mode as well.
Quote from: mirth on December 28, 2016, 04:08:32 PM
Quote from: Tpek on December 28, 2016, 03:24:20 PM
I've thoroughly played the demo.
But I just don't see how much fun this can be in the long run.
It looks too repetitive and shallow to fully entertain once you grind for all the upgrades.
Sounds like a job or something :P
This is pretty much what most of those simulators sound like.
The fun of the job coupled with the income of taxes ::)
5 hours in today ::) and XP of 3100
Don't forget to get yer upgrades through the tool box.
Got them. I need them to service a DeLorean. Damn thing was the first car to come in with "Part not identified". I had to strip the engine down to fix a load of things and then put it all back together only to find out that there were still "Parts not identified"...I needed the compression tool and the volt meter (or whatever they are) and found two pistons gone and another thing in the engine....had to take it all apart again!!
That car took about an hour I think.
Things are getting trickier
You'll get used to it.
One of the more annoying bits is the "rubber bushings" - those are part of the suspension system I think. You have to hunt for them sometimes.
8 hours
4.5k XP
had $20k and spent $15k on the Test Path. I don't know what it's for yet - but it's an upgrade I could afford, so I got it...I'll go digging to see what it's about later
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 29, 2016, 06:16:54 PM
8 hours
4.5k XP
had $20k and spent $15k on the Test Path. I don't know what it's for yet - but it's an upgrade I could afford, so I got it...I'll go digging to see what it's about later
8 Real life hours or 8 'billable' game hours? If the latter, how long did it really take?
LOL
The Test Path is good for determining the state of a car's brakes and suspension. After you drive through it and put the car through each of the four tests, when you return to the garage you'll get a pop-up of conditions of various pertinent parts.
You don't have to brake when driving your car in the Test Path; just hit the accelerator and your car will move forward and stop automatically. The first test is front brakes, the second rear brakes, then the third and fourth are I think the suspension front and rear, respectively.
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 29, 2016, 07:53:26 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 29, 2016, 06:16:54 PM
8 hours
4.5k XP
had $20k and spent $15k on the Test Path. I don't know what it's for yet - but it's an upgrade I could afford, so I got it...I'll go digging to see what it's about later
8 Real life hours or 8 'billable' game hours? If the latter, how long did it really take?
8 REAL life hours. I've only had the game 2 days #:-)
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 29, 2016, 07:59:43 PM
LOL
The Test Path is good for determining the state of a car's brakes and suspension. After you drive through it and put the car through each of the four tests, when you return to the garage you'll get a pop-up of conditions of various pertinent parts.
You don't have to brake when driving your car in the Test Path; just hit the accelerator and your car will move forward and stop automatically. The first test is front brakes, the second rear brakes, then the third and fourth are I think the suspension front and rear, respectively.
I presume by having these tests by using the test path, it doesn't require you to take bits off the car to check their status? 'Cos I noticed that some parts you can inspect and others it mentioned the Test Path...so the Test Path helps by not making you take the parts off to check?
That makes sense because sometimes you have to take parts off the car to get to the bit you can't inspect
unless you take it off the car. That should cut down time on looking for dodgy components...I'm getting more and more cars where the list is not provided and you have to inspect parts. Some can be found using the Test Track correct?
Some can, yes, but certainly not all.
Some parts are a bit dodgy; you'll see something like "Condition can be seen using OBD Scanner," but the car won't have an OBD port, so you can't use it.
When I was fixing cars, the first thing I'd do is use all three of those tools.
Don't forget that, once you max out your tools, you can spend points to upgrade your garage's looks. The pile of boxes, ladder, paints and such over by the waiting area are what you need to select to do that. Once you upgrade a part of the garage, you can select from several options within that.
I used the text that Barth talked about (it's easy to find in a Google search) so the game is much more immersive and interesting.
I just finished working on a Dodge Charger.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107357514777261896%2F9EBD7332CE3F70F97FC4D7DB96BF5D73C65CB987%2F&hash=07ab02b5b1094de4186089e455579180cf9a4e3c)
It's kind of weird - I decided to upgrade the engine, which you can do when looking into the engine bay. It would have cost 37 grand to replace it completely and let the game do all the work of assembling. I did that on one car just before this one, but that kind of took away the fun. So on this one I went ahead and paid the $500 upgrade cost for the engine, but I'd be required to buy any missing parts and assemble it myself.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107357514777262192%2FD8C73C8EB7AC2DB5C7D744E9ECDBECE194CEA190%2F&hash=1a7a791072a0bb29d726435050286ed6bf7ef1a2)
The hood is a little weird. Would be nice if there was a custom one that would fit this supercharger. Oh well.
I took it to the Dyno room and holy crap this thing churned out some power.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F107357514777262935%2FB5283F403CB99D16AEDCC3E6DCBCC59BCC08C86D%2F&hash=ddb4ea13fd9f71a41d18850e682b357b419d23b1)
I took it to the drag strip but something was wrong; it kept pulling to the left. I'd take off in first gear and within half a second it was redlining and starting to do donuts. I mean, WTF? Everything was in place part-wise. I tuned the carburetor appropriately. I don't get it. Anyway, good thing it doesn't damage the car from crashing into walls. It happened literally in the blink of an eye.
Sold it for about 82 grand, too.
I'm guessing that your problem at the drag strip is due to applying too much power at once and inducing wheel spin thus hitting the RPM red-line almost immediately and initiating a sideways boogy with the loss of traction. Have you tried racing slicks? Pretty much a requirement with that much horse-power.
Quote from: Millipede on December 31, 2016, 01:54:24 PM
I'm guessing that your problem at the drag strip is due to applying too much power at once and inducing wheel spin thus hitting the RPM red-line almost immediately and initiating a sideways boogy with the loss of traction. Have you tried racing slicks? Pretty much a requirement with that much horse-power.
Admitedly, I haven't gotten that deep into that side of the game. I did put together a DeLorean Scifi and got it up to 88 mph and the 'surprise' that happens when you get there. I had another car on the drag strip too. Neither of them had huge engines like this, though.
Banzai...
Actually, I had pretty much the same problem when I first went to the track and it took me awhile to figure out what was going on. Part of the problem is with the UI because it doesn't allow you to modulate the throttle... it's more like an on/off switch in that you either have full throttle or nothing. With the racing tires (I think it's the Performance DLC that allows for alternate wheel/tire packages) you can just hammer the throttle and hit the shift points and you're good to go. You still get a bit of wheel spin and the RPM bogs down, and I've yet to figure a way around that, but it's infinitely better than with stock tires.
Another thing worth mentioning to all of you that might be interested in this sim... I've got 84 hours into it and have all the various shop/tool upgrades, several of the DLC packages and I've received a great deal of enjoyment playing with it and found the cost/hour to be well worth the investment but.... as wondered about in some of the previous posts, for me it has gotten to the point of diminished returns in that you end up doing the same thing over and over, with the various model cars being the only variation, and that gets to be a little bit like working for a living.
I do have the Performance DLC, though, and it still did a hard left right into the wall when I hit the gas. Strange.
That does seem a bit odd. A couple of things come to mind.
First, the steering is like the throttle... an on/off switch. You have 3 options, hard left, hard right or straight (more or less). The problem I had was when I tried to steer down the track, I consistently ending up over-controlling and, BOOM, into the wall. I eventually opted to not use steering at all and it worked out fine. The car would drift to the side but not enough to put you into the wall before you finished the run.
Second, there is no hot-key list (at least I can't find one) and figuring out how to accomplish some things is a matter of trial and error. Engine swap is F1 and tire swap is F2. The car might need to be on the lift for this to work.
Hope this helps.
Thanks...I probably tapped the A key accidentally and that's what put me into the wall with that monster. I'll try it differently next time I put one together in game.
I wish they would give more experience for more difficult jobs...100XP for every job seems a bit tight...I've had some right stinkers to locate and had to abandon 1 job.
I've got 800xp and $36k. I have all the tools except repairing - which I'm not too bothered about because whilst I might save money repairing items instead of buying new ones, money isn't my problem! I've also got all buildings except the parking lot which I need 9000XP for! :knuppel2:
So another 10 jobs and I can get to the auction.
It's a slog and samey...but I'm still playing - 15 hours gone
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 12, 2017, 06:50:46 AM
It's a slog and samey...but I'm still playing - 15 hours gone
You're going to love Cubicle Simulator.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 12, 2017, 06:50:46 AM
I wish they would give more experience for more difficult jobs...100XP for every job seems a bit tight...I've had some right stinkers to locate and had to abandon 1 job.
I've got 800xp and $36k. I have all the tools except repairing - which I'm not too bothered about because whilst I might save money repairing items instead of buying new ones, money isn't my problem! I've also got all buildings except the parking lot which I need 9000XP for! :knuppel2:
So another 10 jobs and I can get to the auction.
It's a slog and samey...but I'm still playing - 15 hours gone
If you watch your XP counter, it goes up by a point every time you do something. Take a wheel off of a car, for example, and woo, +1 XP!
Once you get to auction you'll have fun playing around with that, but it'll start to get old pretty quick. Still, it can be cathartic to play it once in a while. My budget is to the point where I have plenty of cash, so I can buy a total junk heap, strip it completely down, repair most of the parts (with a 90% chance of success on each one that it lets me fix; there's some it won't let you repair), buy the ones I need, and put it back together again, all in a relatively short time.
I want to try the Rex (don't know what it is in real life, it's been a bit since I played and changed the txt file to fix the weird in-game names), and maybe a few others, but I'm on the winding down path with that game. Still, I've put in 39 hours...a pretty solid amount of entertainment for such a low price.
I don't see a 2016 version in the works, but it would be awesome if they expanded it a little and made it more like American Truck Simulator, where you start as a lowly wrench monkey for low pay and work your way to owning perhaps several franchises of your totally honest mechanic shop. :)
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 12, 2017, 07:49:21 AM
to owning perhaps several franchises of your totally honest mechanic shop. :)
So a purely fictional game then
Quote from: mirth on January 12, 2017, 08:02:02 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 12, 2017, 07:49:21 AM
to owning perhaps several franchises of your totally honest mechanic shop. :)
So a purely fictional game then
Pretty much. I'll charge Suburu owners double.
Well I worked through to get 9000XP for my parking so I could go to the auction and realised the financial hit for the garage was 50k - which wiped my bank account and so I'm back to square one - making money in order to get a car to fix up.
However - having got here, I'm pretty deflated. The Parking module never said in the popups it was 50k....it only ever said you need 9000XP. I suppose it's fair enough to assume it would cost - but considering each of the other modules (Test Path and Paint Shop) were very cheap, I had no idea it would empty my bank. :'(
Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 is now 80% off on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/320300/?snr=1_7_7_weeklongdeals_150_1
Quote from: Tpek on February 20, 2017, 04:12:36 PM
Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 is now 80% off on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/320300/?snr=1_7_7_weeklongdeals_150_1
Do'h!(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FDoh_zpspenupmmz.png&hash=c99ad76ecba14cdbacc7a5b3c67dd9bf3801e959)
SO glad I'm not the only one that happens to.
They usually warn you when viewing the cart before checking out.
At least for me.
They just released the 2018 version of the game, at $19.99 US.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/645630/Car_Mechanic_Simulator_2018/
As always I will wait for a sale.