I guess the weather is really going to get a lot worse. The National Weather Service is buying ammo.
QuoteThe NWS is following its federal counterpart the DHS in securing large quantities of ammo. Back in March,Homeland Security purchased 450 million rounds of .40-caliber hollow point bullets that are designed to expand upon entry and cause maximum organ damage, prompting questions as to why the DHS needed such a large amount of powerful bullets merely for training purposes.
As the Business Insider notes, hollow point bullets have been "illegal in international warfare since 1899."
And in case you missed the news (I saw it, but didn't post figuring there was another shoe to fall) (from the same article)
QuoteThe DHS recently put out an order for riot gear in preparation for the upcoming DNC, RNC and presidential inauguration. The U.S. Army is also busy buying similar equipment.
Source: http://www.infowars.com/national-weather-service-follows-dhs-in-huge-ammo-purchase/
This isn't a joke like the Onion or something is it?
I am hoping you say yes
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 14, 2012, 11:22:34 AM
This isn't a joke like the Onion or something is it?
I am hoping you say yes
No, I don't think it's a joke. I would be open to questioning the source. The site appears to be almost on the fringe. What's not in question, however, is the analysis. What I want to know is whether the facts are correct. If they are, we're fully capable of drawing our own conclusions regardless of what he thinks.
If the facts are correct, then why in the heck does the NWS need ammo?
Shooting hurricanes.
Hurricane season is almost upon us.
Quote from: Centurion40 on August 14, 2012, 11:36:49 AM
Shooting hurricanes.
Hurricane season is almost upon us.
I don't think 40 cal will be enough.
No offense, 40.
I'm not offended. We're not allowed to hunt them up here.
PS
Migs uses a shotgun. Shhh!
Quote from: Centurion40 on August 14, 2012, 11:47:59 AM
I'm not offended. We're not allowed to hunt them up here.
PS
Migs uses a shotgun. Shhh!
Nova Scotia gets them once in a while.
Missouri was outside of their migration pattern so I never was able to hunt them there. In Louisiana they were so common that I was never able to make up my mind whether I wanted to hunt hurricanes or alligators. Now it's too late.
We'll get hammered this year, if one drifts this way. It's been a warm summer and the ocean is a bit warmer than usual. A lot of the time the hurricanes will drift over New England first and lose strength over land; or the cooler ocean water will sap the hurricane's strength and they'll drop down to a tropical storm.
I don't think that we'll be so lucky this year... if one drifts our way.
So DHS and other federal agencies will have acquired 1.45 billion rounds of .40 S&W JHP once the purchase of 750 million rounds goes through? And they're buying modular highway bunkers/VCPs? Sounds like they're expecting you lot to get downright uppity in the near future.
And the 2nd Amendment is an anachronism.
Yeah, but honestly what good is your AR-15 against a Bradley AFV or a weaponized drone?
A better starting point than my baseball bat or steak knife?
Time to drone-up!!
Get one with a camera though. Frosh week is coming!
JHP may be prohibited by the Hague, but its one of the most common rounds for civilian and law enforcement use. I think its legal in all 50 states, with the exception of maybe New Jersey.
Assuming the article is true, I guaranty this has to do with politics and money. Some bubba with DHS has a brother-in-law that works for an ammunition manufacturer/distributor, so he pushed the contract.
I dunno 'bout NWS, but the "riot gear" the Army is buying is in response to the criticisms of the deadly force they had used overseas when they coulda/woulda/shoulda just beat the snot out people instead of perforating them.
The Army knows they need less-than-deadly force in a lot of instances, but had never been equipped for it, even after 10 years of bullshit in the Balkans.
That's now getting rectified and paranoid delusionals think it's aimed at them.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2012, 12:37:56 PM
Assuming the article is true, I guaranty this has to do with politics and money. Some bubba with DHS has a brother-in-law that works for an ammunition manufacturer/distributor, so he pushed the contract.
That's a theory I would buy...and proof that it's time to dismantle DHS. Last time I heard from them they were playing spokesman to update a giant sinkhole in Louisiana. Next thing we know they'll be prepping for the return of the velociraptor.
Why did we need DHS in the first place?
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nerdragecomic.com%2Fimages%2Fancientaliens.jpg&hash=a96b38505875826b24f2f938687c3365817bc9fe)
^Hmm... That dude's been showing up a lot lately. Anybody got a good tinfoil-ratings site bookmarked?
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lastexittonowhere.com%2Fmedia%2Fimages%2Fuploads%2Fproductimage-picture-uspf-cap-1509.jpg&hash=e6271408a14d46dea6459aebff1c169275f11001)
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 14, 2012, 05:46:28 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nerdragecomic.com%2Fimages%2Fancientaliens.jpg&hash=a96b38505875826b24f2f938687c3365817bc9fe)
I have tried to watch that show and cannot take it. Even as comedic relief, there's just too much distance from reality.
I wish I could have shot the Halloween snowstorm from last year. Between that and Hurricane Irene it really did feel like the end times. At least I finally got a generator because of those storms.
Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2012, 07:16:22 PM
I wish I could have shot the Halloween snowstorm from last year. Between that and Hurricane Irene it really did feel like the end times. At least I finally got a generator because of those storms.
You live such a sheltered life up there. You need to move someplace where rough weather is the rule, not the exception...
Did I mention that each winter from 2007-2010 my house was almost wiped off the map by winter storms?
Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2012, 07:22:17 PM
Did I mention that each winter from 2007-2010 my house was almost wiped off the map by winter storms?
Oh, cool. OK, you're good. Maybe I'll come visit. It's kinda boring around here. Low last night was 65.
It's 75 right now here. First snow will probably be Thursday.
Quote from: LongBlade on August 14, 2012, 07:04:13 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 14, 2012, 05:46:28 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nerdragecomic.com%2Fimages%2Fancientaliens.jpg&hash=a96b38505875826b24f2f938687c3365817bc9fe)
I have tried to watch that show and cannot take it. Even as comedic relief, there's just too much distance from reality.
Even I can't watch it anymore, and THAT's saying something!
Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2012, 07:35:03 PM
It's 75 right now here. First snow will probably be Thursday.
Thats not even funny...
^Wasn't meant to be :/
See Gus, now you've gone and jinxed us...
QuoteLast winter, big cities like New York and Philadelphia saved a lot of money because the Northeast had a snow drought. Not so this winter.
Yes, even while air conditioners are still running, meteorologists are beginning to focus on the long-term winter weather forecast. And, it looks as if the I-95-corridor cities from Washington to Boston will need to make sure the plows are gassed up and rock salt plentiful.
"I think the East Coast is going to have some battles with some big storms," says Paul Pastelok, Accu-Weather's lead long-term forecaster in State College, Pa.
http://news.yahoo.com/snow-august-steamy-now-forecasters-see-big-winter-173109124.html
Dude...I still have nightmares about those recent bad winters...I have to sack up and concentrate...mentally prepare. And that weatherman is from State College...don't know what to make of that.
Add the Social Security Administration to the list of gov't agencies stocking up on ammo:
http://www.infowars.com/social-security-administration-to-purchase-174-thousand-rounds-of-hollow-point-bullets/
The Obama must be trying to counter all the gun sales that have occured since he was crowned...
LOL
Our government has gone over the deep end. <shakes head>
That, or someone is doing a piss-poor job of hiding ammo sales that are being diverted to Syrian rebels.
I dunno know. The fact that it will be delivered to 41 locations across the US bothers me. Maybe SS is going to go bankrupt a whole lot sooner than they're claiming and they're expecting rioting in the streets...
Quote from: steve58 on August 16, 2012, 09:04:44 AM
I dunno know. The fact that it will be delivered to 41 locations across the US bothers me. Maybe SS is going to go bankrupt a whole lot sooner than they're claiming and they're expecting rioting in the streets...
It certainly suggests that we've got too much money going to government. Why else would we waste money on this? What's next? The Department of Education issuing strict guidelines on the methane emissions levels of 2nd graders farting in class?
Maybe the Feds is worried that there will be an attempt by some rogue State Gov't to seize certain Federal offices and claiming them under States' Rights. If the facilities have a number of employee/new agents packing 357s then the chance of a 'bloodless grab' will diminish and the resulting PR fallout from firefights between local LEOs and Federal Agents makes it a bit less of an attractive prospect. As far as crowd control and COIN go, pistol rounds would be less useful than lots of rifle ammo.
It really doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it. The only thing that seems clear is that, if they have the cash for this, there is far too much money going to the federal government.
Quote from: LongBlade on August 16, 2012, 09:36:41 AM
...there is far too much money going to the federal government.
Geez LB, next you'll be telling me the sky is blue and the sun rises in the east.
What does it say about our society when we are all becoming so paranoid. Is everyone really out to get you?
A little research shows that it was a screwup on paperwork and that we are not arming weathermen.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/national-weather-service-ammunition-solicitation-triggers-confusion/2012/08/14/3dc6b67e-e62a-11e1-936a-b801f1abab19_blog.html
Con
^That makes more sense. Those Fisheries agents have powers of arrest and can find themselves in a tight spot if some poacher doesn't want to go to jail. Also, sometimes those guys inadvertently come upon human traffickers as well. 46,000 for 63 agents comes out to about 730 rounds per agent for their qualification course.
The screwup explains some of the purchases. I'm waiting to see how many rounds the IRS is going to buy for 16,500 new agents needed for ObamaCare... :P
Quote from: Con on August 16, 2012, 09:55:46 AM
What does it say about our society when we are all becoming so paranoid. Is everyone really out to get you?
A little research shows that it was a screwup on paperwork and that we are not arming weathermen.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/national-weather-service-ammunition-solicitation-triggers-confusion/2012/08/14/3dc6b67e-e62a-11e1-936a-b801f1abab19_blog.html
Con
Thank you. The first amendment at work!
Besides, who's paranoid? It's perfectly valid to question why the weather service is buying ammo. At face value it makes zero sense. Blind faith in government is not healthy - in a democratic society we're supposed to be informed, and the first step is often to ask the question, "Why?"
I am all for questioning...but leaping to assumptions and basing conclusions off them is a slippery slope that can ultimately lead to tinfoil hats and lead underwear. We dont want that happening to you now :D
Con
Why is it leaping to an assumption when the original listing had the ammo being purchased for the NWS? This was a mistake by NOAA that was called into question.
Quote from: Con on August 16, 2012, 01:19:07 PM
I am all for questioning...but leaping to assumptions and basing conclusions off them is a slippery slope that can ultimately lead to tinfoil hats and lead underwear. We dont want that happening to you now :D
Con
Of course not. Our government never makes mistakes, wastes money, or does stupid/inappropriate stuff.
Quote from: mirth on August 16, 2012, 01:26:33 PM
Why is it leaping to an assumption when the original listing had the ammo being purchased for the NWS? This was a mistake by NOAA that was called into question.
My understanding is Infowars doesn't have the best history, when it comes to stories.
Alex Jones and crew are now saying that DHS has gone an redacted the ammo purchase orders in light of the reportage.
http://www.infowars.com/dhs-classifies-ammo-purchase-following-controversy/ (http://www.infowars.com/dhs-classifies-ammo-purchase-following-controversy/)
The agencies involved in the recent ammo purchases have issued responses
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/17/agencies-tamp-down-speculation-over-hollow-point-ammo-purchases/
Quote from: mirth on August 17, 2012, 03:22:51 PM
The agencies involved in the recent ammo purchases have issued responses
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/17/agencies-tamp-down-speculation-over-hollow-point-ammo-purchases/
I read that this afternoon on my phone. Good. They know we're watching. Nothing wrong with an honest accounting mistake. And nothing wrong with the public asking for clarification :)
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 14, 2012, 11:29:10 AM
If the facts are correct, then why in the heck does the NWS need ammo?
To put down the global warming of course.
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on August 17, 2012, 10:09:22 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 14, 2012, 11:29:10 AM
If the facts are correct, then why in the heck does the NWS need ammo?
To put down the global warming of course.
Hurricane Hunting, of course.
Maybe they'll hand it out to all the people affected by a hurricane so they can stop the looters.
Quote from: LongBlade on August 14, 2012, 01:47:47 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2012, 12:37:56 PM
Assuming the article is true, I guaranty this has to do with politics and money. Some bubba with DHS has a brother-in-law that works for an ammunition manufacturer/distributor, so he pushed the contract.
That's a theory I would buy...and proof that it's time to dismantle DHS. Last time I heard from them they were playing spokesman to update a giant sinkhole in Louisiana. Next thing we know they'll be prepping for the return of the velociraptor.
velociraptor??
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youngmanblog.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2010%2F09%2F03raptor11graphics.jpg&hash=2fa2208c9bc228792bfe89578f0eba49ad3f0d05)
Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2012, 07:16:22 PM
I wish I could have shot the Halloween snowstorm from last year. Between that and Hurricane Irene it really did feel like the end times. At least I finally got a generator because of those storms.
Did you get the modification to your house wiring so you could hook it up directly to it and power everything inside?
Quote from: LongBlade on August 16, 2012, 09:08:01 AM
Quote from: steve58 on August 16, 2012, 09:04:44 AM
I dunno know. The fact that it will be delivered to 41 locations across the US bothers me. Maybe SS is going to go bankrupt a whole lot sooner than they're claiming and they're expecting rioting in the streets...
It certainly suggests that we've got too much money going to government. Why else would we waste money on this? What's next? The Department of Education issuing strict guidelines on the methane emissions levels of 2nd graders farting in class?
you are still going to grade school?
Quote from: LongBlade on August 16, 2012, 02:52:36 PM
Quote from: Con on August 16, 2012, 01:19:07 PM
I am all for questioning...but leaping to assumptions and basing conclusions off them is a slippery slope that can ultimately lead to tinfoil hats and lead underwear. We dont want that happening to you now :D
Con
Of course not. Our government never makes mistakes, wastes money, or does stupid/inappropriate stuff.
Trust them... they're there to help you ::)
Breezy the generator is hooked directly to my house yes but is only to power the kitchen, the well and the family room. If I can eat, crap and shower afterwards everything else is gravy. So to speak.
Quote from: Gusington on August 20, 2012, 09:56:16 PM
Breezy the generator is hooked directly to my house yes but is only to power the kitchen, the well and the family room. If I can eat, crap and shower afterwards everything else is gravy. So to speak.
enough for 5 days.... two weeks much better
^It's fueled by the gas line. So as long as that stays intact, the generator will operate.
Quote from: Gusington on August 22, 2012, 04:34:09 PM
^It's fueled by the gas line. So as long as that stays intact, the generator will operate.
not sure how long a gas line stays pressurized with no power (aren't you taking a chance) but I am sure you have 4 tenty pound propane tanks to take over
youve never seen him blow.
^True.
But beyond that, power isn't needed to keep the gas line pressurized. No propane necessary. Thus the beauty of it.
I think Windy is asking 'Where does the gas come from? Does that infrastructure operated while there is no power?'
^That's what I've been told. And what I've seen. During power outages our gas was still available.
Quote from: Gusington on August 23, 2012, 10:31:02 PM
^That's what I've been told. And what I've seen. During power outages our gas was still available.
That's a help. When we were w/out power last august/september (Irene) at least we had water pressure from the local water co. Just two miles north of me there were lines and lines of folks waiting to fill their containers with agua from tanker trucks parked at each rest stop just off the highway and at traffic circles.
That's a big reason why we got the generator, to power our well. A week without clean water is a long time.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/ssabullets.asp