Rough Weather Predicted

Started by LongBlade, August 14, 2012, 10:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

I guess the weather is really going to get a lot worse. The National Weather Service is buying ammo.

QuoteThe NWS is following its federal counterpart the DHS in securing large quantities of ammo. Back in March,Homeland Security purchased 450 million rounds of .40-caliber hollow point bullets that are designed to expand upon entry and cause maximum organ damage, prompting questions as to why the DHS needed such a large amount of powerful bullets merely for training purposes.

As the Business Insider notes, hollow point bullets have been "illegal in international warfare since 1899."

And in case you missed the news (I saw it, but didn't post figuring there was another shoe to fall) (from the same article)

QuoteThe DHS recently put out an order for riot gear in preparation for the upcoming DNC, RNC and presidential inauguration. The U.S. Army is also busy buying similar equipment.

Source: http://www.infowars.com/national-weather-service-follows-dhs-in-huge-ammo-purchase/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

This isn't a joke like the Onion or something is it?

I am hoping you say yes
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 14, 2012, 11:22:34 AM
This isn't a joke like the Onion or something is it?

I am hoping you say yes

No, I don't think it's a joke. I would be open to questioning the source. The site appears to be almost on the fringe. What's not in question, however, is the analysis. What I want to know is whether the facts are correct. If they are, we're fully capable of drawing our own conclusions regardless of what he thinks.

TheCommandTent

If the facts are correct, then why in the heck does the NWS need ammo?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Centurion40

Shooting hurricanes.

Hurricane season is almost upon us.
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on August 14, 2012, 11:36:49 AM
Shooting hurricanes.

Hurricane season is almost upon us.

I don't think 40 cal will be enough.

No offense, 40.

Centurion40

I'm not offended.  We're not allowed to hunt them up here.

PS

Migs uses a shotgun.  Shhh!

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on August 14, 2012, 11:47:59 AM
I'm not offended.  We're not allowed to hunt them up here.

PS

Migs uses a shotgun.  Shhh!

Nova Scotia gets them once in a while.

Missouri was outside of their migration pattern so I never was able to hunt them there. In Louisiana they were so common that I was never able to make up my mind whether I wanted to hunt hurricanes or alligators. Now it's too late.

Centurion40

We'll get hammered this year, if one drifts this way.  It's been a warm summer and the ocean is a bit warmer than usual.  A lot of the time the hurricanes will drift over New England first and lose strength over land; or the cooler ocean water will sap the hurricane's strength and they'll drop down to a tropical storm.

I don't think that we'll be so lucky this year... if one drifts our way.

Silent Disapproval Robot

So DHS and other federal agencies will have acquired 1.45 billion rounds of .40 S&W JHP once the purchase of 750 million rounds goes through?  And they're buying modular highway bunkers/VCPs?  Sounds like they're expecting you lot to get downright uppity in the near future.

mirth

And the 2nd Amendment is an anachronism.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yeah, but honestly what good is your AR-15 against a Bradley AFV or a weaponized drone?

mirth

A better starting point than my baseball bat or steak knife?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

Time to drone-up!!

Get one with a camera though.  Frosh week is coming!

Jarhead0331

JHP may be prohibited by the Hague, but its one of the most common rounds for civilian and law enforcement use.  I think its legal in all 50 states, with the exception of maybe New Jersey.

Assuming the article is true, I guaranty this has to do with politics and money.  Some bubba with DHS has a brother-in-law that works for an ammunition manufacturer/distributor, so he pushed the contract. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18