GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on February 11, 2021, 10:10:56 PM

Title: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 11, 2021, 10:10:56 PM
Starting the weekend a little early! DCS, Star Citizen, War at Sea, Onward and maybe something 4x-ish...

Everyone enjoy.

Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: Toonces on February 11, 2021, 11:00:38 PM
Man alive, Jarhead, that was a freaking great song choice!  Wow, I have never heard anything like that!

Ok, for gaming:  Well, I have both WotS and Grand Tactician brand new and barely touched.  But...I can tell with both of them that some investment of time is required to actually learn how to play them.  That pesky aspect always slows me down.

So for sure, some more Cold Waters with the new mod, and probably something that requires less brain power; Poker Night at the Inventory or something similar.  I'm already blown out, and it's still Thursday night here...   :-[
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on February 11, 2021, 11:15:42 PM
Order of Battle, Wolfenstein: Youngblood and perhaps Brass Brigade.
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: al_infierno on February 11, 2021, 11:53:43 PM
Valheim is eating up my life right now.  People aren't kidding about this being one of the best survival games ever.  You need to design buildings with proper structural support and ventilation so you can have a big cook fire in the middle of your living room and eat like a proper viking, without suffocating yourself in the smoke.  The gameplay and progression itself is quite smooth and satisfying, despite some odd design decisions like locking basic equipment behind boss battles.  This feels like all the best parts of survival games like Minecraft and The Forest balled up and with a LOT less tedium.  Combat actually reminds me a bit of proper ARPGs like Dark Souls.

The resource management in general feels streamlined compared to competing games.  There are not 6 different flavors of wood like Minecraft, or "twigs" used for separate recipes from "tree lumber," which was one of the most annoying parts of The Forest.  The crafting is refreshingly straightforward and I never feel myself getting burned out on the simple task of gathering more materials to continue my projects.  You stack up wood at a lightning pace once you've decently leveled up your woodcutting skill, and once I burn through it all trying to raise some grandiose structure, it only takes me a couple minutes to get a ton more on hand.  Compared to The Forest, where cutting lumber was an unbearable slog that takes absolute ages, this game has a lot more going for it.  And that's not to even mention terraforming, which is a bit tricky to get the hang of, but works quite nice and paired with the good (but low-poly) graphics and lack of minecraft-style blocks, makes for an awesome base building experience.

Also, interestingly, despite this being a "survival" game I don't think there's actually any need to feed your character.  You can go AFK in a safe space for hours at a time and you won't just die of hunger or thirst like in most of these games.  All food does is increase your maximum stamina and maximum health, which makes a huge difference in combat, so you'll want to keep yourself fed constantly.  But if you don't, no biggie.  This is also a very refreshing take on the genre.
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: devoncop on February 12, 2021, 06:28:36 AM
Still having a blast with Avernum Escape from the Pit. 54 hours in and around 60 percent done I reckon.

Spiderweb  games all on sale on Steam at big discounts so have picked up Avernum 4,5 and 6 for under 10 pounds and the entire Avadon series of three games for 12 pounds.

Happy days.
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2021, 09:23:49 AM
Quote from: Toonces on February 11, 2021, 11:00:38 PM
Man alive, Jarhead, that was a freaking great song choice!  Wow, I have never heard anything like that!


I first discovered it in the movie Archive (great song, pretty lackluster film). Its on my party vibe play list. Everything is sexier in French.

Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: Dammit Carl! on February 12, 2021, 09:31:19 AM
Having done so well in installing flooring in the laundry room, the Mrs. "gifted," me with a few more boxes of flooring bits to now install in our mud room (even though it has a perfectly fine floor as it is right now - I'll never, ever understand why we have to constantly tweak shit in the house) so I've another weekend of a sore back and knees to look forward to.

Yay.  :(
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: MengJiao on February 12, 2021, 09:59:16 AM
Quote from: Toonces on February 11, 2021, 11:00:38 PM
Man alive, Jarhead, that was a freaking great song choice!  Wow, I have never heard anything like that!

Ok, for gaming:  Well, I have both WotS and Grand Tactician brand new and barely touched.  But...I can tell with both of them that some investment of time is required to actually learn how to play them.  That pesky aspect always slows me down.

So for sure, some more Cold Waters with the new mod, and probably something that requires less brain power; Poker Night at the Inventory or something similar.  I'm already blown out, and it's still Thursday night here...   :-[

  Some WotS, some CMANO:CMO or CMO:CMANO, maybe some HLL and some boardgames
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: SlagDog on February 12, 2021, 10:46:42 AM
I'll be working on a new Age of Wonders: Planetfall start, continuing my Solasta campaign and maybe play a little Insurgency:Sandstorm.
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: Sir Slash on February 12, 2021, 10:51:38 AM
Rome 2 with the DEI Mod where I am finally closing in on Carthage's last city and Battle Academy, trying to finish the Western Desert Campaign. Have a great weekend Grogs.  :bd:
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: Rayfer on February 12, 2021, 12:13:26 PM
Quote from: SlagDog on February 12, 2021, 10:46:42 AM
I'll be working on a new Age of Wonders: Planetfall start, continuing my Solasta campaign and maybe play a little Insurgency:Sandstorm.

SD....how is Solasta? I've had it on my Steam wish list for awhile now.
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: devoncop on February 12, 2021, 12:41:16 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 12, 2021, 12:13:26 PM
Quote from: SlagDog on February 12, 2021, 10:46:42 AM
I'll be working on a new Age of Wonders: Planetfall start, continuing my Solasta campaign and maybe play a little Insurgency:Sandstorm.

SD....how is Solasta? I've had it on my Steam wish list for awhile now.

+1

Looks good from afar  but would  also be interested in your impressions.

The devs seem very active in Early Access which is always encouraging.
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: FarAway Sooner on February 12, 2021, 01:54:58 PM
Crazy song, but I like it!

For me, it's (hopefully winning) my first game of Shadow Empires played on Regular difficulty against other Major Powers.  Then I'm moving on to do either Wizards and Warlords or my old stand-by, Eador Genesis: New Horizons!
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: GroggyGrognard on February 12, 2021, 06:29:27 PM
More Diablo III for me this weekend. Having a blast with it.


Stay safe, Grogs!


Groggy
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: Fetrik on February 12, 2021, 06:36:28 PM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Anomaly has stolen my life last few weeks.

It is a free and completely stand alone mod with a modified and upraded engine that tie together the maps from all 3 games. Lots of fun.
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on February 12, 2021, 07:15:07 PM
^Gotta link for that?
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2021, 08:21:41 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 12, 2021, 07:15:07 PM
^Gotta link for that?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/downloads/stalker-anomaly-151 (https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/downloads/stalker-anomaly-151)
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: Fetrik on February 12, 2021, 09:03:15 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2021, 08:21:41 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 12, 2021, 07:15:07 PM
^Gotta link for that?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/downloads/stalker-anomaly-151 (https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/downloads/stalker-anomaly-151)

There is also many addons that change the sounds, add content, animations for consumables and so on
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on February 12, 2021, 10:20:10 PM
Awesome thank you both.
Title: Re: It’s Time to FRIDAY!
Post by: solops on February 14, 2021, 01:33:22 AM
Civ 4 with the C2C mod
Co-op TW:Warhammer II