GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Destraex on March 10, 2021, 04:21:59 PM

Title: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Destraex on March 10, 2021, 04:21:59 PM
Does everybody here remember astartes? The person that blew all of our minds with 40k videos that actually looked like we had all imagined the universe. Well for better or worse he is now working for games workshop! I hope this does not compromise hos hard hitting no bullshit approach. I look forward to hopefully seeing a movie. One that does 40k justice.


https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/10/introducing-the-next-wave-of-warhammer-animations/
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: SlagDog on March 10, 2021, 04:40:06 PM
That would be A M A Z I N G! <insert drooling emoji here>
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: JasonPratt on March 10, 2021, 05:13:18 PM
Closer to Codex.  :bd:
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Destraex on March 10, 2021, 05:19:38 PM
Just looking at the page and there are a number of collaborations in progress. I hope this does not lead to what happened with their games.... huge variations in quality.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/10/introducing-the-next-wave-of-warhammer-animations/
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Geezer on March 10, 2021, 05:38:00 PM
The Emperor Protects!   ;D
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 10, 2021, 05:43:52 PM
Yeah...I'm skeptical. Just seems like the majority of anything GW touches that crosses over from the table-top experience into digital media of some form or another turns to shit.

Hoping for the best though.  O0
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: hellfish6 on March 10, 2021, 07:32:58 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm the only person left in the world who absolutely does not understand the appeal of Warhammer stuff. Even as a kid it just struck me as ridiculous. It's like death metal for wargamers. Looks ridiculous, tries to be hard core and end up just being a bunch of weirdos in makeup and skull-shaped accessories.
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 10, 2021, 08:47:33 PM
Quote from: hellfish6 on March 10, 2021, 07:32:58 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm the only person left in the world who absolutely does not understand the appeal of Warhammer stuff. Even as a kid it just struck me as ridiculous. It's like death metal for wargamers. Looks ridiculous, tries to be hard core and end up just being a bunch of weirdos in makeup and skull-shaped accessories.

Weirdo.  :idiot2:
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Destraex on March 11, 2021, 04:21:11 AM
 :2funny:
Yeah I am not a fan of the tabletop game but have never played it. I owned the epic version at one stage but never got around to playing it.
I am however a fan of the Dawn of War game series and some of the novels. I also did not mind final liberation the computer game.
I did not mind the movie ultramarine either.

The universe is cool but very dark. I don't think I could get too deep into it. It's pretty depressing even if you are a giant superhuman marine.

I can understand hellfish6 why you think it is ridiculous. The Orks make it a bit comical. But once you understand how they breed and what they do and how they came about it kinda comes into focus a little more.

Astartes videos actually made 40k look kinda legit like a lot of the art does. Some 40k art is spot on while especially the older stuff makes it comical and kiddy.
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Destraex on March 11, 2021, 04:23:20 AM
It looks like they took the whole series off youtube and it is only available direct now. Hellfish take a look at astartes work. It's 12 minutes long:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/warhammer-animation-astartes/
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Dammit Carl! on March 11, 2021, 08:06:17 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 10, 2021, 05:43:52 PM
Yeah...I'm skeptical. Just seems like the majority of anything GW touches that crosses over from the table-top experience into digital media of some form or another turns to shit.

Hoping for the best though.  O0

Amen.

-And, without looking at the linky bit about colabs, they'd better damn well have Dan Abnett involved in there somewhere.  That guy "gets," WH40K in my opinion.
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Gusington on March 11, 2021, 10:24:53 AM
^From my admittedly limited selection of reading compared to others here, I have always enjoyed Abnett's WH40K books the most.
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: SlagDog on March 11, 2021, 01:50:02 PM
I owned the original Rogue Trader and enjoyed playing in college. I love the gritty dark future fluff. The books are like reading fun action movies - it's just stupid fun reads. But my real love is old Fantasy Warhammer. Now there was a great tabletop game. Me Ork Boyz rulld da gulackz! And they always won! Da Orks celebrate the games I won and the games that "I won" but don't talk about.  >:D

But then GW screwed it all with the apocalypse, or whatever the hell they called the destruction of a great game. What was GW thinking. Oh yeah $$$. <sigh>   

The weird thing for me is I loved fantasy WH but thought the fluff was meh and think the WH 40K is ok but love the fluff. Especially anything that Dan Abnett writes - he is a GENIUS author.

I'll always root for some quality 40K goodness!
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: al_infierno on March 11, 2021, 07:47:09 PM
Quote from: hellfish6 on March 10, 2021, 07:32:58 PM
It's like death metal for wargamers. Looks ridiculous, tries to be hard core and end up just being a bunch of weirdos in makeup and skull-shaped accessories.

To me, this is exactly the appeal of Warhammer 40K.   :2funny:
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: undercovergeek on March 11, 2021, 10:04:59 PM
Quote from: SlagDog on March 11, 2021, 01:50:02 PM
I owned the original Rogue Trader and enjoyed playing in college. I love the gritty dark future fluff. The books are like reading fun action movies - it's just stupid fun reads. But my real love is old Fantasy Warhammer. Now there was a great tabletop game. Me Ork Boyz rulld da gulackz! And they always won! Da Orks celebrate the games I won and the games that "I won" but don't talk about.  >:D

But then GW screwed it all with the apocalypse, or whatever the hell they called the destruction of a great game. What was GW thinking. Oh yeah $$$. <sigh>   

The weird thing for me is I loved fantasy WH but thought the fluff was meh and think the WH 40K is ok but love the fluff. Especially anything that Dan Abnett writes - he is a GENIUS author.

I'll always root for some quality 40K goodness!

You know they're redoing the old world this year/next year
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Gusington on March 11, 2021, 10:47:12 PM
^Well look what I found!
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: undercovergeek on March 12, 2021, 12:32:30 AM
A reason to spend thousands on the relaunched fantasy battle game?
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Destraex on March 12, 2021, 02:53:21 AM
This was supposed to be a teaser of some more of Astartes upcoming work a while back. Wonder if it has changed.
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Gusington on March 12, 2021, 10:08:03 AM
Maybe 'Geek. Maybe. But probably not.

Welcome back after a long hiatus!

Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: SlagDog on March 12, 2021, 11:22:41 AM


You know they're redoing the old world this year/next year
[/quote]

Really?!? Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the info! 
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Destraex on March 13, 2021, 08:29:22 PM
This is one of the other collaboration project trailers released 4 days ago. This time Tau. It definitely has less atmosphere than Astartes has.
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: undercovergeek on March 13, 2021, 09:43:03 PM
Quote from: Gusington on March 12, 2021, 10:08:03 AM
Maybe 'Geek. Maybe. But probably not.

Welcome back after a long hiatus!

Anyone lamenting the loss of old school warhammer needs friendly advice

I lurk for the poor souls
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Gusington on March 13, 2021, 11:07:47 PM
Your service is recognized.
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: FarAway Sooner on March 16, 2021, 12:13:38 PM
I was skeptical to get into the Warhammer40K books, but finally stepped into the pool and didn't regret it.  I've only read a fraction of what's out there.

Dan Abnett's Gaunts Ghosts stories were top notch.  The much more humanized view of the Empire Forces through their eyes was more accessible to me than the more crazy, ritualized, and nearly superhuman characters found elsewhere in that universe and were a great intro. 

I also enjoyed the Blood Angels series--the authors do a surprisingly good job of adding doubt and despair to the struggles faced by that particular branch of the Imperial Marines.  I liked the Eisenhorn and Ravenor series of books written from the viewpoint of an Imperial Inquisitor, but found both series to be a bit more far-fetched.

I think it would be easy for me to OD on Warhammer 40K stuff, but dusting off a new book or two every few years has worked well for me.
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 16, 2021, 12:25:55 PM
Abnett is definitely one of the best, but I've found some of Aaron Dembeski-Bowden's books to be top notch, as well. I thought the Night Lords trilogy was excellent.
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Geezer on March 16, 2021, 01:02:02 PM
I will second, or third, the praise for Dan Abnett.  Will have to check out the Night Lords trilogy.  Thanks.
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Gusington on March 16, 2021, 01:29:12 PM
^Me too *runs to Amazon*
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Geezer on March 16, 2021, 02:06:57 PM
Ordered the omnibus version on Amazon for $21 and free shipping.  Let the reading begin.
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Gusington on March 16, 2021, 02:57:20 PM
^I didn't think it was possible but you're worse than me.
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: CptHowdy on March 16, 2021, 03:09:54 PM
Not 40k but Brunner the bounty hunter is a good read set in the warhammer fantasy universe.
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Geezer on March 16, 2021, 04:12:32 PM
Quote from: Gusington on March 16, 2021, 02:57:20 PM
^I didn't think it was possible but you're worse than me.

If it's no good I'll blame it on Jarhead!   :P
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Gusington on March 16, 2021, 06:17:58 PM
Send him the receipt either way 😎
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: reapagan on March 17, 2021, 01:46:58 AM
The Cephias Cain series adds a little humor and satire to the Grim Dark.
Title: Re: Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming
Post by: Dammit Carl! on March 17, 2021, 07:22:37 AM
Quote from: reapagan on March 17, 2021, 01:46:58 AM
The Cephias Cain series adds a little humor and satire to the Grim Dark.

Hahaha!  Forgot about this one, but true!