GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on March 12, 2021, 02:15:31 AM

Title: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 12, 2021, 02:15:31 AM
New rig arrives today! Woooowhoooo! Probably going to be very busy weekend setting it up. Will hopefully get some DCS in once it's up and running!

Everybody have a good one.

Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: devoncop on March 12, 2021, 04:45:30 AM
So after 75 hours I finished my first ever Pillars of Eternity  playthrough and really enjoyed it . The epic pitched battle to defend my claim to my Keep was the highlight.

I am now going to try a first attempt at Distant Worlds ahead of DW2 release to try and get familiar with at least some of the mechanics......gulp. :nerd:


Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Dammit Carl! on March 12, 2021, 07:03:17 AM
With warmer weather comes yard responsibilities or something like that, so there's my weekend in a nutshell.  Otherwise, I'll be grinding on still with Division 2 and neglecting my family thusly.

Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: MengJiao on March 12, 2021, 08:49:14 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 12, 2021, 02:15:31 AM
New rig arrives today! Woooowhoooo! Probably going to be very busy weekend setting it up. Will hopefully get some DCS in once it's up and running!


   DCS definitely.  HLL, Something with Ironclads and/or protected cruisers and boardgames.
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Anguille on March 12, 2021, 08:52:52 AM
Will mostly play Stronghold Warlords. If i finish the first campaign, i will begin the economical campaign.

Other possible games:

- Imperiums: Greek Wars
- Endless Space 1
- Maybe one scenario of Conflict: Desert Storm.
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on March 12, 2021, 10:06:00 AM
Mazel tov on the new rig JH.

And well done on the family neglect Dammit Carl!

I will be fiddling with some of the new factions in Age of Empires: Age of Kings Definitive Edition, like Burgundy and Sicily.

And I will be launching my AssCreed: Valhalla campaign.

Gird your Norse loins!

There's also a 1066 Norman Invasion mod that I want to try out for Total War: Thrones of Britannia.
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Geezer on March 12, 2021, 10:07:38 AM
Playing Dyson Sphere Program non-stop.   :smitten:
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Tripoli on March 12, 2021, 10:14:09 AM
Taxes.  I'm doing taxes.   >:(  And killing the moles that have invaded my yard.  Somehow, that seems to dovetail nicely with doing taxes. :D  I may get some FoG2 Medieval done.   Possibly some CMO and maybe  some Grand Tactician: USCW
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Sir Slash on March 12, 2021, 10:21:34 AM
I can sympathize with the Mole-Thing Trip, they are a plague of Destructicons at times.  :pullhair:   Congrats on the win in PoE Devoncorp, I think you'll enjoy PoE 2 as well. Quiet day tomorrow so I'll try to get in a little Rome 2 with the DEI Mod, but lately Stainless Steel for Medi TW 2 has been calling my name. And that's one lovely lady I can never say no to. Have a great weekend Grogs.  O0
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Dammit Carl! on March 12, 2021, 10:56:26 AM
Quote from: Gusington on March 12, 2021, 10:06:00 AM
And well done on the family neglect Dammit Carl!

Can't tell you the amount of side-eye I'm getting cut my way by the Mrs. as of late.  She's started peppering the "well, you're on the computer all the time, so..." phrase into things too.

Look lady, the world ain't gonna save itself and you're watching South Korean tv shows on Netflix and that sure as hell ain't my thing.  Ugh.  Just can't win.

(Nah, I get it.  When I like a game, I really LIKE a game and will play the snot out of it.  I do need to step away from the keyboard a little bit to smooth her feathers a wee bit, I guess.)
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on March 12, 2021, 10:59:39 AM
^Are you...me?
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: SlagDog on March 12, 2021, 11:13:22 AM
Good Ol' Flea! Gotta Love it!

After playing the manditory Lawn and Sprinkler simulator and then flying some RC gliders (Catching a boomer thermal is completely euphoric to me) I will most likely be found playing Stellaris, FoG: Medieval and then attempting to start my F-15c journey in DCS.   

Enjoy the weekend all!!!
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 12, 2021, 11:13:55 AM
Yeah...I get the same lip from my wife, except in our house she is watching Bravo junk, like Summer House, House Wives, Below Deck, Temptation Island, Bachelor, etc. I'm like, I'd love to spend some more of our free time together, but if that is what is going to be on in the background, you can find me downstairs...follow the sound of gunfire.
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on March 12, 2021, 11:18:10 AM
^We are all sharing one hivemind. And one wife, it looks like. God bless her.
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Dammit Carl! on March 12, 2021, 11:26:42 AM
Quote from: Gusington on March 12, 2021, 11:18:10 AM
^We are all sharing one hivemind. And one wife, it looks like. God bless her.

;D
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: bobarossa on March 12, 2021, 11:49:58 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 12, 2021, 11:13:55 AM
... you can find me downstairs...follow the sound of gunfire.
That ought to be in someone's signature line

Continuing to play Shadow Empires.  Currently 3rd after 100 turns.  Some bastard has covered 1/4 of the planet and he needs to die.
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: devoncop on March 12, 2021, 01:59:18 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on March 12, 2021, 10:21:34 AM
I can sympathize with the Mole-Thing Trip, they are a plague of Destructicons at times.  :pullhair:   Congrats on the win in PoE Devoncorp, I think you'll enjoy PoE 2 as well. Quiet day tomorrow so I'll try to get in a little Rome 2 with the DEI Mod, but lately Stainless Steel for Medi TW 2 has been calling my name. And that's one lovely lady I can never say no to. Have a great weekend Grogs.  O0

Cheers Sir SlSh it was a blast.

I will save POE 2 for a while.... as though I bounced off Distant Worlds badly today....I have just bought the preorder of War in the East 2 .....so am trying to learn War in the East 1 a little bit first which has been sat in my Steam account lonely and unloved for too long. I have ordered the hardback manual for WITE2 so that will help a lot I am sure but at the minute You Tube is my friend  :)
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Sir Slash on March 12, 2021, 03:35:11 PM
From the video I've seen, I actually like the WitE 1 map/screen better than the new one from WitW. I know you can adjust the detail but it just seems flatter and less interesting. The map from WitE 1 looks delicious to me. If it had wing sauce, I'd eat it tonight along with a cold brew.
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: al_infierno on March 12, 2021, 08:52:56 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on March 12, 2021, 03:35:11 PM
From the video I've seen, I actually like the WitE 1 map/screen better than the new one from WitW. I know you can adjust the detail but it just seems flatter and less interesting. The map from WitE 1 looks delicious to me. If it had wing sauce, I'd eat it tonight along with a cold brew.

You're not using the "Rainy Day in Russia" mod for WitE1, are you?  If so I still agree, but that's an unfair comparison.  :buck2:
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: al_infierno on March 12, 2021, 09:13:18 PM
Currently in the midst of a Crusader Kings II campaign with the Game of Thrones mod.  I chose a custom start date right around the beginning of the first season/novel, replacing Robin of the Vale with a custom character named Waldon Winefeld.  I've tried inserting custom characters into other realms, but if you replace a powerful and respected Lord Paramount, you tend to find yourself staving off civil war by a bunch of lords confused by the sudden inexplicable change in leadership.  So far things are going smoothly -- I have Littlefinger as my Castellan and with sufficient gold I've kept him friendly.  His ridiculous stats allow him to handles business pretty damn effectively.  However, now I'm four children (one of which was stillborn) into the first generation of my dynasty, and my player character got cancer.  Fack.   :pullhair:

With enough luck, I'll keep Waldon alive long enough for his son, Waldon II, to come of age.  It's annoying as hell when your ruler dies and you're stuck with a little kid during a regency for years and years until they finally reach 16.  Right now, the kid is 10, and I'm 2 years into Waldon I's cancer diagnosis (age 30).  Treatment is going well, so with enough luck I won't keel over within 6 years, allowing for a relatively smooth transition.

On the bright side, Waldon I has had one hell of a reign as Lord Paramount of the Vale.  I've participated in multiple civil wars defending King Robert Baratheon (who managed to avoid the fate he suffers in the show/books) and kicked massive amounts of ass.  He earned the nickname "The Hammer of Dalston Keep" after getting separated from his troops in a battle involving over 25k men, and managed to cleave his way back to safety.  Thank God I took the Trained Fighter trait in character creation.  :buck2:

Several years of clumsy intrigue later, and just about every powerful lord in my realm has been killed or deposed after eventually betraying or conspiring against me.  I have 4 rivals who I've sent to live out their lives in the Night's Watch, dooming them to a fate worse than death: cleaning toilets and celibacy.   :hide:  The last heavy-hitters from the canon that are still standing were Littlefinger and Brynden Blackfish, but old Brynden died of age.  Littlefinger is just about my only friend in the realm, but a friend like him is all you need in Westeros.  The heirs who've taken over mostly hate my guts, but my Fear rating is high enough that they probably won't mess with me for at least a few more years.  A bit like The Godfather, it seems like civil wars need to happen every 5 years or so to wash out the bad blood.   :knuppel2:


(https://i.imgur.com/UbAkJBt.png)
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: devoncop on March 13, 2021, 02:24:39 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on March 12, 2021, 03:35:11 PM
From the video I've seen, I actually like the WitE 1 map/screen better than the new one from WitW. I know you can adjust the detail but it just seems flatter and less interesting. The map from WitE 1 looks delicious to me. If it had wing sauce, I'd eat it tonight along with a cold brew.

I actually like both maps from what I have seen though riverlines do look better in WITE 1.

As an aside I am incredibly impressed by the tutorial series by Strategy Gaming Dojo for WITE 1 and although I am only about halfway through episode 2 of 12 so far I feel much more confident already about tackling the game and its successor that I ordered yesterday.

Due to a mix up it seems I ordered 2 games and two hardback manuals   ::) so if I can't resolve it through Matrix support I
may be playing Father Christmas  ;)



Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: al_infierno on March 13, 2021, 05:32:47 AM
Quote from: al_infierno on March 12, 2021, 09:13:18 PM
Currently in the midst of a Crusader Kings II campaign with the Game of Thrones mod.  I chose a custom start date right around the beginning of the first season/novel, replacing Robin of the Vale with a custom character named Waldon Winefeld.  I've tried inserting custom characters into other realms, but if you replace a powerful and respected Lord Paramount, you tend to find yourself staving off civil war by a bunch of lords confused by the sudden inexplicable change in leadership.  So far things are going smoothly -- I have Littlefinger as my Castellan and with sufficient gold I've kept him friendly.  His ridiculous stats allow him to handles business pretty damn effectively.  However, now I'm four children (one of which was stillborn) into the first generation of my dynasty, and my player character got cancer.  Fack.   :pullhair:

With enough luck, I'll keep Waldon alive long enough for his son, Waldon II, to come of age.  It's annoying as hell when your ruler dies and you're stuck with a little kid during a regency for years and years until they finally reach 16.  Right now, the kid is 10, and I'm 2 years into Waldon I's cancer diagnosis (age 30).  Treatment is going well, so with enough luck I won't keel over within 6 years, allowing for a relatively smooth transition.

On the bright side, Waldon I has had one hell of a reign as Lord Paramount of the Vale.  I've participated in multiple civil wars defending King Robert Baratheon (who managed to avoid the fate he suffers in the show/books) and kicked massive amounts of ass.  He earned the nickname "The Hammer of Dalston Keep" after getting separated from his troops in a battle involving over 25k men, and managed to cleave his way back to safety.  Thank God I took the Trained Fighter trait in character creation.  :buck2:

Several years of clumsy intrigue later, and just about every powerful lord in my realm has been killed or deposed after eventually betraying or conspiring against me.  I have 4 rivals who I've sent to live out their lives in the Night's Watch, dooming them to a fate worse than death: cleaning toilets and celibacy.   :hide:  The last heavy-hitters from the canon that are still standing were Littlefinger and Brynden Blackfish, but old Brynden died of age.  Littlefinger is just about my only friend in the realm, but a friend like him is all you need in Westeros.  The heirs who've taken over mostly hate my guts, but my Fear rating is high enough that they probably won't mess with me for at least a few more years.  A bit like The Godfather, it seems like civil wars need to happen every 5 years or so to wash out the bad blood.   :knuppel2:


https://i.imgur.com/UbAkJBt.png

Update to this campaign:  At the age of 39 Waldon "The Hammer of Dalston Keep" Winefeld succumbed to his cancer.   :'(  However, his son Waldon II is proving to be a much stronger ruler so far.  Stay tuned for some tragic screenshots  <:-)
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Sir Slash on March 13, 2021, 10:16:22 AM
I'm with Devoncorp on WitE 1, the Gaming Dojo videos have sold me on the game and I'll wait on WitE 2 for another time. In the videos, the WitE 1 map looks great, just right to push Panzers all over the place. The XTG video of WitE 2 shows the map being the same as in WitW, which ain't bad but less detailed and looks kind of, 'washed-out' to me. I think that's a very fair comparison.
Title: Re: Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!
Post by: Destraex on March 13, 2021, 08:26:56 PM
Conquest Frontier Wars Demo on Steam - Chris Roberts 2001 space RTS - a unique game which I hope homeworld 3 takes some features from;
* Commanders that can board ships to create flagships
* Supply lines - ships must be resupplied and supply lines built
* Different sectors to jump to in the same skirmish
* Crew - a crew requirement element that stops people spamming ships and makes each ship a real asset. Crew requiring time to replenish.  If you lose ships too fast you may not be able to crew new ships even if you have enough resources to build them.
* The capturing and holding of planets.

Steel Division 2 - played a 10v10 game with a mate and we initially did well but got stomped by the Axis late game tiger IIs. Basically the enemy left a huge gap in their lines at the beginning. Two of our players pushed to the end of the map without resistance and say their consolidating instead of exploiting the gap to raid the enemy rear. This meant that two players were stacked where myself and my mate were on the far left flank to outnumber us by two (2 vs 4 players). We held for most of the game getting pushed back. With the numbers the enemy possessed to support their Konigstigres, we had no chance and eventually were pushed back to our last flag on the left. Players on both sides were quiting for the entire game for some odd reason.

Company of Heroes 2 with my son. He is really getting into coh2 with his buddies.

Command Modern Operations - I dabble in the tutorials every now and then hoping I will get time to build up to a proper campaign. But it's single player so even though I love the game and the concept. It's hard to get motivated and hard to find the time.