Way off - but looks interesting.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1716740/Starfield/
Single player....
Quote from: Destraex on December 11, 2021, 05:51:37 AM
Single player....
Thank God. Someone on the planet is still making solid single player experiences.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 11, 2021, 07:50:17 AM
Quote from: Destraex on December 11, 2021, 05:51:37 AM
Single player....
Thank God. Someone on the planet is still making solid single player experiences.
Amen to that. But it's still a year away.
I originally quoted the wrong one:)
Single player, nothing wrong with a game focusing on that
SP all the way.
Looks interesting, wonder how much in the way of ship combat it will have. Seems this might be the game that sp Star Citizen fans are looking for. I've always though that Star citizen should take a lesson from these big world builder devs like Bethesda, but CiG wants to reinvent the wheel for some reason and take 2 decades to do it.
I really hope this takes a heavy inspiration from Starflight/Star Control 2.
I'm getting a touch of that vibe. Wishful thinking? Hope not.
Delayed from November to2023
Didn't know it was expected this year? Either way those Alien-esque screenshots look amazing.
Gameplay trailer released
There has been a constant stream of people joining and leaving the Star Citizen development team, apparently game development is not the best paying industry and it's hard for studios to keep people. In one case I know of CIG contracted an entire department out to a third party company and then the 3rd party were purchased by Somebody like Sony. I wonder how many ex star citizen employees are working on market competitors like this?
The Star Citizen staff was that stay have either climbed the ladder or just love their jobs. A lot move on to more money at a bank or some other rich rent taker industry. I guess the games industry is bigger than hollywood but still not big enough to keep people.
You have to think that there's huge surplus of young people wanting to be game devs. Meanwhile there's pilot, doctor, police, Plummer, and nurse shortages.
Also, with the covid restrictions over, I heard Star Citizen has expanded it's staff and is gearing up for big updates this year.
15 years ago, living in the San Francisco Bay Area, I played a lot of Ultimate Frisbee. I played with a ton of IT types, and more than one or two people who did game design and development. Game design is a calling and not a career for most. Even back then, somebody doing a job for a game studio typically got a $20,000 - $40,000 raise if they hopped over to doing the same work in the for-profit sector, depending on the job and the technical skill set.
One other benefit is the more sane/predictable hours. Not all game devs work until midnight every night for three months before release, opening a new can of Dr. Pepper every two hours. But that stereotype exists for a reason...
I'll never be able to relate to people who complain about working long hours. My clients expect me to be at their beck and call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, on weekends, on holidays and when I'm on vacation. When I'm on trial, I frequently work 16+ hours a day for weeks on end. Thankfully, I rarely have trials. Half the time I have to deal with haggling over the bill and issue discounts if I want to get paid. I have no unions and no advocates other then myself. I earn a good income, but for what I have to put up with, it should be a tremendous amount more. Still, no one cries for lawyers. Guys who live in their parents' basements making computer games though? The world is ready to rebel in their names.
With that said, this is shaping up to be a really good game and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 13, 2022, 05:45:50 PM
I'll never be able to relate to people who complain about working long hours. My clients expect me to be at their beck and call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, on weekends, on holidays and when I'm on vacation. When I'm on trial, I frequently work 16+ hours a day for weeks on end. Thankfully, I rarely have trials. Half the time I have to deal with haggling over the bill and issue discounts if I want to get paid. I have no unions and no advocates other then myself. I earn a good income, but for what I have to put up with, it should be a tremendous amount more. Still, no one cries for lawyers. Guys who live in their parents' basements making computer games though? The world is ready to rebel in their names.
With that said, this is shaping up to be a really good game and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
It's odd how you knee-jerk this reaction just because FarAway mentioned that shorter working hours is an advantage of working in a "standard" IT job instead of game dev. He wasn't even wringing his hands or calling it unfair, just mentioning that it's a reason why people often make the switch. I also find it really weird how you characterize game devs as "guys who live in their parents' basements making computer games." Many junior and entry-level devs probably fit this stereotype, but like other types of programmers there are plenty of people who make a career and support homes and families like everyone else.
I mean, if you were offered a new job doing pretty much exactly what you do now, but working less hours and for more money, would you refuse?
Quote from: al_infierno on June 13, 2022, 07:33:13 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 13, 2022, 05:45:50 PM
I'll never be able to relate to people who complain about working long hours. My clients expect me to be at their beck and call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, on weekends, on holidays and when I'm on vacation. When I'm on trial, I frequently work 16+ hours a day for weeks on end. Thankfully, I rarely have trials. Half the time I have to deal with haggling over the bill and issue discounts if I want to get paid. I have no unions and no advocates other then myself. I earn a good income, but for what I have to put up with, it should be a tremendous amount more. Still, no one cries for lawyers. Guys who live in their parents' basements making computer games though? The world is ready to rebel in their names.
With that said, this is shaping up to be a really good game and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
It's odd how you knee-jerk this reaction just because FarAway mentioned that shorter working hours is an advantage of working in a "standard" IT job instead of game dev. He wasn't even wringing his hands or calling it unfair, just mentioning that it's a reason why people often make the switch. I also find it really weird how you characterize game devs as "guys who live in their parents' basements making computer games." Many junior and entry-level devs probably fit this stereotype, but like other types of programmers there are plenty of people who make a career and support homes and families like everyone else.
I mean, if you were offered a new job doing pretty much exactly what you do now, but working less hours and for more money, would you refuse?
I think it is odd that your knee-jerk reaction is to assume I was just responding to what FarAway said rather than what Destraex and Skoop said first. Try reading more of the thread for better context. It's also a common theme that repeatedly appears in gaming press. We've discussed it often here. "Poor under-paid, over-worked game programmers." I just don't have sympathy. That's all. Why turn it into a big deal?
For what it is worth, I do have sympathy for you Jarhead. That sounds like an awful job, I wouldn't want to be on call 24 hours a day, every day and having to fight for every dime you're owed. Our work-life expectations have been skewed for a long time, I'm always happy to hear when people are able to break out of bad situation.
Quote from: son of guest on June 13, 2022, 09:01:04 PM
For what it is worth, I do have sympathy for you Jarhead. That sounds like an awful job, I wouldn't want to be on call 24 hours a day, every day and having to fight for every dime you're owed. Our work-life expectations have been skewed for a long time, I'm always happy to hear when people are able to break out of bad situation.
I've been trying to break free for nearly 22 years. They say it is never too late. I'm working on a thing though...fingers are crossed!
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 13, 2022, 09:45:06 PM
Quote from: son of guest on June 13, 2022, 09:01:04 PM
For what it is worth, I do have sympathy for you Jarhead. That sounds like an awful job, I wouldn't want to be on call 24 hours a day, every day and having to fight for every dime you're owed. Our work-life expectations have been skewed for a long time, I'm always happy to hear when people are able to break out of bad situation.
I've been trying to break free for nearly 22 years. They say it is never too late. I'm working on a thing though...fingers are crossed!
As an recovering attorney, all I can do is give you my sincere best wishes on getting your legal escape hatch completed. :)
I get nervous when JH mentions 'things.'
My brother in law is a lawyer and also self employed. He does have a secretary but he handles all of the cases himself.
I rarely get to hang out with him and goof off like we used to when he was just working for a law firm. I know what kind of pressures you're going through JH. Heart goes out to you.
Brother-in-law-yer?
^Yes. I see what you did there!
:))
I just mentioned the game dev industry because if you talk to teenage kids now days all of them want to be game devs and video game streamers. But when you have a surplus of people all wanting to do that....well it's more cutthroat for wages and benefits. Mean while all those extremely important real life careers are complaining of severe shortages coming. I thought the whole Covid thing would be a wake up call to young people, but it had the reverse effect. Maybe the coming recession will have the desired effect.
When there are rolling blackouts because of the shortage of electrical engineers, future game streamers and devs may have second thoughts.
Nah, they'll just blame Putin.
Things are really bad where I work now. We lost quite a few good people due to retirement, relocation because of the high cost of living in the city, vax mandates, and poor management (DEI based hiring quotas are taking a toll). Even though our starting wage is more than double the provincial average, we have not been able to hire a single person in 4 months. We get very few qualified applicants and most turn down the offer once they look into housing costs here.
Management has started hiring co-op students from various trade and engineering schools to make up the shortfall (I'm working 60-80 hours a week lately and all day off requests are refused until at least November) but most of the kids who show up seem to have some very odd ideas about work ethic. It's quite common for them to show up 1 hour early or 2 hours late because they think flex time is a right. Some won't do certain menial jobs because they think everything they do needs to have "an impact". I guess it's a result of the educational system but nearly all are very confident in themselves to the point where they'll start monkeying around with processes they don't fully understand and end up screwing up the system. They're quite unused to receiving criticism and many dint know how to handle it. They tend to run to HR and claim harassment or they get bitchy and gossip behind people's backs.
I'm very concerned that we're setting ourselves up for failure in the near future but I don't see a solution at this point. I'm looking at taking a pay cut and acceptinga gig in a small town somewhere.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 13, 2022, 05:45:50 PM
I'll never be able to relate to people who complain about working long hours. My clients expect me to be at their beck and call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, on weekends, on holidays and when I'm on vacation. When I'm on trial, I frequently work 16+ hours a day for weeks on end. Thankfully, I rarely have trials. Half the time I have to deal with haggling over the bill and issue discounts if I want to get paid. I have no unions and no advocates other then myself. I earn a good income, but for what I have to put up with, it should be a tremendous amount more. Still, no one cries for lawyers. Guys who live in their parents' basements making computer games though? The world is ready to rebel in their names.
With that said, this is shaping up to be a really good game and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Please don't take this a patronising, you know it, we all know it- that much usually comes at a health cost. Do the good stuff and have a plan just in case you have to reduce the load
Said in concern for fellow humanity not from a know it all tone
^Good points!
Release date announced to be September 6, 2023. Also will be Starfield Direct event on June 11th.
I wonder how hard the game devs had to work to get it ready for that release date?
:ROFL:
Jokes aside, I wish everybody discussed in this thread good luck, whether they are in the first person or the third person. I've had a long and pretty fortunate career.
I don't know that I feel that different about my job than do a lot of the younger people I'm working with these days, EXCEPT that I don't feel entitled and I know that my poop usually smells like poop after it happens. If they don't want to work as hard or do work that they find boring, I feel like that's their choice. They just need to approach the choices they make with a little more humility, I often think.
I also know that, in the US at least, my kids' generation will have fewer good career opportunities than did my generation.
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 10, 2023, 12:04:01 AMI wonder how hard the game devs had to work to get it ready for that release date?
:ROFL:
Jokes aside, I wish everybody discussed in this thread good luck, whether they are in the first person or the third person. I've had a long and pretty fortunate career.
I don't know that I feel that different about my job than do a lot of the younger people I'm working with these days, EXCEPT that I don't feel entitled and I know that my poop usually smells like poop after it happens. If they don't want to work as hard or do work that they find boring, I feel like that's their choice. They just need to approach the choices they make with a little more humility, I often think.
I also know that, in the US at least, my kids' generation will have fewer good career opportunities than did my generation.
I think career opportunities are the same the devloped world over. Jobs either require experience and ridiculous qualifications for what they are... even pushing paper around in an office requires a degree these days. Which makes changing careers and being flexible a little harder. Or the competition for the lower tier jobs is intense or outsourced overseas. There are exceptions of course, here the exceptions are the tradies (plumbers etc) because a shortage pushed their wages into the stratosphere.
^Here in the US too. Carpenters/plumbers/electricians/masons are laughing all the way to the bank in 2023.
Yeah. Our educational institutions sadly neglected those professions for about 15 or 25 years too long. People started calling for more vocational/technical education in the US since around 1990, but we never really got behind it with more than token support for another 25 years or so. That's probably due to the myth of American classlessness, among many other causes.
Combine that with how a changing immigration picture affected a lot of low- and medium-skilled "craftish" populations, and the US is now learning a tough lesson in the laws of supply and demand. As a guy who's made my living in the white-collar service sector, I don't begrudge them the good fortune.
Our local technical program for High School kids boosts a 97% graduation rate. One kid got 7 certifications and landed a job paying $108,000 out of high school. You can bet the school district's vo-tech people talk about him a lot!
Especially the folks who work for or run small businesses in those sectors seem to work their butts off. I'm sure that The Great Resignation following COVID didn't help.
As a former small factory owner/manager, who managed to sell our business less than two months before the pandemic got into gear (coincidentally), it never affected our (former) business much directly, including in manpower -- although occasionally one or more of us have to stay out with a bout of it for five-ish days. And for a small business, one or two people being out is a significant and even substantial percentage of work-power, especially on key duties.
I still work there part-time so I also still get to hear and see results all up and down the supply chain, which also affect us and thus our customers.
......also, Starfield has been pushed up a month sooner in their release schedule, so September could be awesome! :cool:
While the concept is intriguing, it's Todd Howard. Believe that about 30% of what he totes will be true, 70% garbage and true to form a huge amount of modding input from the community to actually deliver what he promises in terms of the over-all vision.
I'll wait... and see.
Preordered, I think this is going to be game of the year and mods will keep people playing for a decade like skyrim.
Preordered as well.
The similarities with Starflight are enough to sell me.
Yeah, I know Todd Howard lied his butt off for Fallout 76, but it's really an aberration in Bethesda's track record.
I'm not going to hold that against them here. It didn't follow their formula and Starfield does. I think it'll be a huge and good time sink.
I was pleasantly surprised to see this as part of my Xbox Gamepass subscription and will be available day one on it. Obviously a no brainer for me to try it out:)
I just preordered the Digital Premium Edition after listening to a friend of mine describe his experiences (review copy) for nearly an hour on Discord. He's absolutely blown away, and this is coming from someone that thought F76 was abysmal, F4 is utterly mediocre, and Skyrim is completely overrated.
Sold.
Quote from: DetCord on August 22, 2023, 10:16:04 PMI just preordered the Digital Premium Edition after listening to a friend of mine describe his experiences (review copy) for nearly an hour on Discord. He's absolutely blown away, and this is coming from someone that thought F76 was abysmal, F4 is utterly mediocre, and Skyrim is completely overrated.
Sold.
Just to qualify things, I am curious to know what your friend thinks of star citizen in comparison and what games he does actually think are stellar apart from starfield. But it sounds like starfield is a winner from all the things I am hearing.
Quote from: Destraex on August 23, 2023, 01:20:55 AMJust to qualify things, I am curious to know what your friend thinks of star citizen in comparison and what games he does actually think are stellar apart from starfield. But it sounds like starfield is a winner from all the things I am hearing.
I can say right now, I own Star Citizen and it's a pile of warm crap.
I have tried to play it over and over and it doesn't even approach Elite in approachability or playability even though Elite has less going for it.
Starfield looks to offer more than Star Citizen does, especially in single player experience. And it offers it out of the box, not far in the future with X number of more dollars spent on top of the hundreds of millions people have dumped into it.
It's Bethesda, it'll have bugs, but this is what I wanted from Star Citizen in 2013 and still don't have.
Oh....wow! This is the first I've heard of this game. It's an RPG? Interesting....sci-fi isn't really my thing, but I'll keep an eye on this one.
I have no willpower. I just preordered the Digital Premium Edition. I never preorder. And I never get premium editions. I need an intervention.....
LA trailer.
Leaked gameplay. Contains heavy spoilers.
https://gofile.io/d/sxVSdG (https://gofile.io/d/sxVSdG)
Quote from: Destraex on August 23, 2023, 01:20:55 AMQuote from: DetCord on August 22, 2023, 10:16:04 PMI just preordered the Digital Premium Edition after listening to a friend of mine describe his experiences (review copy) for nearly an hour on Discord. He's absolutely blown away, and this is coming from someone that thought F76 was abysmal, F4 is utterly mediocre, and Skyrim is completely overrated.
Sold.
Just to qualify things, I am curious to know what your friend thinks of star citizen in comparison and what games he does actually think are stellar apart from starfield. But it sounds like starfield is a winner from all the things I am hearing.
I know he has SC but I don't think he's played it in quite awhile, I know I haven't. I don't even have it installed anymore. Then again, I bought into SC knowing exactly who Roberts is and his fairly abysmal track record. History is just repeating itself (Freelancer) with regards to Star Citizen, only this time Microsoft isn't coming to save his ass or the company (Digital Anvil) he formed and then abandoned.
I'm beginning to think someone will have to take over star citizen and cutoff Chris if SQ42 doesn't come out soon or flops. Until starfield has MP, I won't be selling off my star citizen account, a space MMO is something starfield will never be, so both will always have a place. The sooner SC completes SQ42 so they can be rid of it and focus on the PU, the better.
Quote from: Skoop on August 23, 2023, 03:36:11 PMI'm beginning to think someone will have to take over star citizen and cutoff Chris if SQ42 doesn't come out soon or flops. Until starfield has MP, I won't be selling off my star citizen account, a space MMO is something starfield will never be, so both will always have a place. The sooner SC completes SQ42 so they can be rid of it and focus on the PU, the better.
And who is positioned to do that?
No one really, just thinking out loud.
Quote from: Skoop on August 24, 2023, 12:12:49 AMNo one really, just thinking out loud.
I wish they would, but the cynical but true situation is that whoever his investors are are making money out the wazoo, and obviously the consumers are not empowered legally to do anything.
Quote from: CaptainKoloth on August 24, 2023, 07:00:46 AMQuote from: Skoop on August 24, 2023, 12:12:49 AMNo one really, just thinking out loud.
I wish they would, but the cynical but true situation is that whoever his investors are are making money out the wazoo, and obviously the consumers are not empowered legally to do anything.
SC will never be completed. Their business model prohibits it and is far too lucrative to do so.
Did a wallpaper for anyone interested. Created in Photoshop using my Wacom Cintiq.
(https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/dd2001f1-fe5f-4c49-98c9-9ea6e31f4c8d/dg6yshh-1569b20a-be4a-4768-bba4-a6d13ccc7646.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2RkMjAwMWYxLWZlNWYtNGM0OS05OGM5LTllYTZlMzFmNGM4ZFwvZGc2eXNoaC0xNTY5YjIwYS1iZTRhLTQ3NjgtYmJhNC1hNmQxM2NjYzc2NDYucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8mMJ8_OxpsOkURwWn8WSWE8OHf0_oeC6tkVTE55dTGI)
It will be interesting to see how Starfield compares to The Outer Worlds in gameplay. At the moment I am expecting Skyrim in Spaaaaaace. (I don't have Outer Worlds either.)
Quote from: mbar on August 27, 2023, 12:04:23 PMIt will be interesting to see how Starfield compares to The Outer Worlds in gameplay. At the moment I am expecting Skyrim in Spaaaaaace. (I don't have Outer Worlds either.)
I'd love to be able to compare... I got Outer Worlds in July's Humble Choice and when I tried to redeem it, it said they were temporarily out of keys. Never mind that they are still selling the game with Steam keys on their site. I will not give them another dime until I get that key, I don't care what's in the Choice selection.
Discussion with Dev Director at Bethesda
Somewhat Bethesda propaganda'ish
But interesting that the guy cites the old paper and pen RPG "Traveler" by GDW as an inspiration.
I don't blame you guys for getting the premium edition, will be nice to jump in just a few days from now. I just stuck with the standard, I won't have the time to dive in till then anyway, but will be watching all the first impressions buzz.
Quote from: Skoop on August 29, 2023, 12:42:45 PMI don't blame you guys for getting the premium edition, will be nice to jump in just a few days from now. I just stuck with the standard, I won't have the time to dive in till then anyway, but will be watching all the first impressions buzz.
You'll have time to learn from the mistakes of all of us who go in early.
My deciding point of Premium was the future DLC being included as well. By all that's said and done it'll cost about the same for me either way and at least this way I'll get an extra weekend to waste.
Get it free with game pass.
Though need to buy an extra SSD first...didn't realise it was an absolute requirement to even let you install the game and my current SSD has command ops on it.
Quote from: Zulu1966 on August 29, 2023, 01:36:04 PMGet it free with game pass.
Though need to buy an extra SSD first...didn't realise it was an absolute requirement to even let you install the game and my current SSD has command ops on it.
How can the game tell if you have an SSD?
Quote from: CaptainKoloth on August 29, 2023, 01:37:17 PMHow can the game tell if you have an SSD?
I don't think it can.
From the scuttlebutt the SSD requirement is a soft one. The game will install on an HDD but on the vast majority of conventional unenhanced mechanical drives the load times will be so slow as to be prohibitive, hence the SSD "requirement".
Imagine it like any minimum required specs sheet. That's not always a hard and fast rule when you're talking gear that's just below the minimum. It might work, but you won't have an experience that is even remotely playable.
"No, it's a rock. No indigenous life."That's very hive like to me. I wonder if it's in the Zeta Reticuli system....
(https://i.imgur.com/zYMOVF4.png)
(https://i.pinimg.com/originals/af/fa/c2/affac24f6893436b051800fd8ded8c25.gif)
Quote from: SirAndrewDYou'll have time to learn from the mistakes of all of us who go in early.
My deciding point of Premium was the future DLC being included as well. By all that's said and done it'll cost about the same for me either way and at least this way I'll get an extra weekend to waste.
Same here with regards to the first expansion. I also did it to get an early jump into modding it, which I've been doing with BGS games since F4. My first mod, which is already in progress, will be a simple retex for the default shoulder patch transforming it into several UC Colonial Marines variants. Started as a personal project, will likely release to the public.
This is also the first game I've pre-ordered in at least six years, and only did so after hearing my buddy with a review copy gush over it. Also, preload is live.
Quote from: DetCord on August 29, 2023, 10:18:43 PMSame here with regards to the first expansion. I also did it to get an early jump into modding it, which I've been doing with BGS games since F4. My first mod, which is already in progress, will be a simple retex for the default shoulder patch transforming it into several UC Colonial Marines variants. Started as a personal project, will likely release to the public.
This is also the first game I've pre-ordered in at least six years, and only did so after hearing my buddy with a review copy gush over it. Also, preload is live.
Sweet. I'll be checking it out.
That's always the thing with BGS single player games, the modding possibilities are endless.
And preloaded! Though it's not like that means much anymore in this era of download speeds and NVME drives.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 29, 2023, 11:28:10 PMQuote from: DetCord on August 29, 2023, 10:18:43 PMSame here with regards to the first expansion. I also did it to get an early jump into modding it, which I've been doing with BGS games since F4. My first mod, which is already in progress, will be a simple retex for the default shoulder patch transforming it into several UC Colonial Marines variants. Started as a personal project, will likely release to the public.
This is also the first game I've pre-ordered in at least six years, and only did so after hearing my buddy with a review copy gush over it. Also, preload is live.
Sweet. I'll be checking it out.
That's always the thing with BGS single player games, the modding possibilities are endless.
And preloaded! Though it's not like that means much anymore in this era of download speeds and NVME drives.
I look forward to your reports good sir. Straight from the bridge of an imperial ISD (looking at your profile pic ;) )
Quote from: Destraex on August 30, 2023, 01:19:29 AMI look forward to your reports good sir. Straight from the bridge of an imperial ISD (looking at your profile pic ;) )
LOL, that nightmarishly accurate AI generated image of me. It's still a bit frightening but I'm endlessly amused by the horror of it.
Yeah, I'll be posting impressions this weekend. I'm excited. This is to me what I've been waiting for since the olden days of Starflight and Star Control 2.
Looks fine to me. You look a bit worried that Darth might swing by to ask about your progress any moment. :P
Reviews are flowing...seems like good but not necessarily great....but that isn't necessarily bad thing. Although I was considering buying premium to start early but not sure if I will. Look forward to more impressions
It'll be a late night. I only scheduled one bloc of work for my podcast tomorrow and I'll be topping off my whiskey and steak tank before 7pm rolls around but I'll try to work in a few first impressions.
I dunno. It sounds like a solid game, but not a Star Citizen killer like some have speculated.
We'll see. I upgraded to premium. Wife is working overnight tonight and I'm stuck with the kids, so I'll be lucky if I get any playtime this evening after release.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 31, 2023, 02:36:37 PMI dunno. It sounds like a solid game, but not a Star Citizen killer like some have speculated.
See, I didn't really expect a Star Citizen killer. I more wanted a space based RPG, which I just never felt any of the current Space Sims quite cover as well.
I want the next great Starflight or Star Control 2. Remains to be seen if that's going to be it, but the early impressions from reviews seem to encouraging.
More or less everything I've heard about it is what I was hoping for, but we'll see tonight.
It's definitely not a Star Citizen killer but possibly a squadron 42 killer. Hoping starfield will be the wake up call for CIG to focus on what it has that no other game in the genre has, the PU.
This just popped up in my feed. There are some glowing reviews and some not so glowing.
https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-scores-critic-roundup/
Well, it's time. After I'm done spending my last few precious minutes with the girlfriend this will be me...
Well, impression number one. No 32:9 support, no brightness settings and no HDR and no FOV settings.
Very upset about the 32:9. Can't play at all in full screen on my monitor because it squeezes the image up into "full screen" section in the upper left.
Playing in borderless fullscreen shoves it into 21:9 with black bars and some distortion.
Seems weird. 90% of the games in my Steam Library from the last 5 years have 32:9 support or can scale effectively to it. This has been an issue with Bethesda games for a while, they're the only studio that doesn't adopt it. Probably not an issue for many but it will be for me.
Quote from: Skoop on August 31, 2023, 04:41:57 PMIt's definitely not a Star Citizen killer but possibly a squadron 42 killer. Hoping starfield will be the wake up call for CIG to focus on what it has that no other game in the genre has, the PU.
I think CIG is about 10 years beyond any chance of a wake up call.
Already a hex edit mod available to fix 32:9. Still a bit mad about this since Bethesda showed off Starfield playing on my monitor, a G9 in the resolution at Gamescom.
Now if only I could turn down the awful brightness.
The mods scene for this game will be, as the children say these days, "off the hook."
Lookin' forward to the big mods that add Klendathu and LV-426!
Well, once I hacked the resolution I've been enjoying it so far!
Very much an RPG. Very smooth mechanics and it just overall feels nice to move around.
Very easy character customization too.
I ended up caving and buying the premium edition as I often do.....not sure what to make of it so far. First of all, I am actually playing on Xbox and graphic/performance wise I have had zero issues, pleasantly surprised. Kind of cool when you do buy the Xbox version, you get a copy of the PC game FREE so at some point I may install that and see if any major differences. But unless I run into any crazy issues, I likely will mainly stick with the console.
From a gameplay perspective, way too early for any deep impressions...have been in a couple of fire fights on land and in space and those were OK so far. Nothing drastically different from what I have seen before. Still getting used to all the options and how to use things within the game. Although very early, hasn't really been any "wow" moments for me and maybe that is because the game was in development so long that nothing will be extremely cutting edge...but again, maybe that comes later.
Even if not a great game, think it's large content (hopefully not largely empty) will keep this game going for quite some time so I doubt there will be any regrets based on longevity. If I wasn't so anxious and always need new shiny toys, probably could have waited for the standard release and wouldn't have mattered much. Time will tell...
I've heard this game is a slow burn. Apparently, it starts off very slowly and does not start to really pull away from the herd until many ours in, like 10-15 hours in. I agree, I enjoyed my initial experience, but nothing mind blowing or revolutionary. I mean, in the weeks leading up to release, this game was hyped as if it was the second coming of Christ. I think I can tell though that this is not that.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2023, 06:41:22 AMI've heard this game is a slow burn. Apparently, it starts off very slowly and does not start to really pull away from the herd until many ours in, like 10-15 hours in. I agree, I enjoyed my initial experience, but nothing mind blowing or revolutionary. I mean, in the weeks leading up to release, this game was hyped as if it was the second coming of Christ. I think I can tell though that this is not that.
I agree and although it might be a "good" game, the media and the developer really hyped this thing massively over the years and likely because of that it won't live up to those expectations and once they open Steam reviews, I fully expect this to get hammered because of it. They should have just set realistic expectations and been OK with a good game but of course that wouldn't get as much money:)
With that said, still looking forward to getting deeper into this game and I don't expect any quick satisfaction so hopefully over the long haul it turns out worth it.....but wouldn't be the first big dollar game that didn't gel with me:)
Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 29, 2023, 03:13:48 PMQuote from: CaptainKoloth on August 29, 2023, 01:37:17 PMHow can the game tell if you have an SSD?
I don't think it can.
From the scuttlebutt the SSD requirement is a soft one. The game will install on an HDD but on the vast majority of conventional unenhanced mechanical drives the load times will be so slow as to be prohibitive, hence the SSD "requirement".
Imagine it like any minimum required specs sheet. That's not always a hard and fast rule when you're talking gear that's just below the minimum. It might work, but you won't have an experience that is even remotely playable.
I can confirm this. I accidentally loaded the game on a standard internal hard drive. The game ran, but there were highly annoying "pauses" of up to three or four seconds and the voices were often out of synch with the screen.
I reinstalled on my SSD and there are no issues.
But like many people, my SSD space is at a premium, so I am not thrilled with having to do this.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 01, 2023, 07:18:07 AMQuote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2023, 06:41:22 AMI've heard this game is a slow burn. Apparently, it starts off very slowly and does not start to really pull away from the herd until many ours in, like 10-15 hours in. I agree, I enjoyed my initial experience, but nothing mind blowing or revolutionary. I mean, in the weeks leading up to release, this game was hyped as if it was the second coming of Christ. I think I can tell though that this is not that.
I agree and although it might be a "good" game, the media and the developer really hyped this thing massively over the years and likely because of that it won't live up to those expectations and once they open Steam reviews, I fully expect this to get hammered because of it. They should have just set realistic expectations and been OK with a good game but of course that wouldn't get as much money:)
With that said, still looking forward to getting deeper into this game and I don't expect any quick satisfaction so hopefully over the long haul it turns out worth it.....but wouldn't be the first big dollar game that didn't gel with me:)
And I think it was inevitable it would turn out this way. No real game could have lived up to the insane hype that it was going to be this 1:1 perfect recreation of a future universe, not even with an unlimited budget (I'm looking at you, Star Citizen...) No Man's Sky suffered from the same problem and was similarly pummeled at launch. I think this will be one of those "critics 85%, Steam reviews 40% from people who all have 1000 hours in-game" situations for a while, and as the more rabid fans calm down and the game gets patched, those reviews will converge at a higher number eventually.
^Definitely reminiscent of the whole No Man's Sky fiasco. Although, that really was some next level stuff. They made promises that they just couldn't fulfill and they knew that throughout the marketing. It was unprecedented at the time. But equally unprecedented is how the developer took responsibility, stood by the game and has continued to improve it to deliver as much of what they said they would as possible. It was a reasonably good game at release despite all the shortcomings. It's an excellent game now.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2023, 08:22:10 AM^Definitely reminiscent of the whole No Man's Sky fiasco. Although, that really was some next level stuff. They made promises that they just couldn't fulfill and they knew that throughout the marketing. It was unprecedented at the time. But equally unprecedented is how the developer took responsibility, stood by the game and has continued to improve it to deliver as much of what they said they would as possible. It was a reasonably good game at release despite all the shortcomings. It's an excellent game now.
Yes. In fact I just finally bought a copy because I had heard so much about how great the developer has made it by now, and without charging anything extra for it.
My initial impressions are the same as the others.
About 4 hours in it's a bit of a slow start. It's about what I expected, a Bethesda Fallout RPG in space, although the start didn't quite grab me as much as Fallout's did.
Not too surprising since I was fully immersed in the Fallout universe since the 90's.
Still, outside of some of the graphical side of things I had fun getting started in the world and am eager to see where it goes. It's not QUITE the Starflight/Star Control experience, at least not yet, but I need to get a lot deeper in that regard.
My only real disappointment at the first stage is combat. It feels like Fallout without VATS and while I have no real problem with not having that system, it makes it not a lot more than just a point and clicker, at least in the early fights.
I'd prefer something a bit more, especially in space but again, it's early. I've yet to even really dig into what kind of heavy customization we can do on the ships and what crew does for you.
It's not Star Citizen or Elite, and that may be a good thing. It absolutely is in the case of Star Citizen. I still prefer Elite's feel of actually being in space but as I've said, I want a story and engagement here, something Elite's pure Sandbox has never really accomplished.
I actually decided to refund it, not that it's that bad of a game and I won't play it, but don't think it justifies the $100 premium order price, which I have serious doubts if I will play it through. I'll just play it through Gamepass instead...only reason I bought it separate, I was thinking about stopping my subscription to gamepass, but I will keep it for now. I was surprised Microsoft allowed me to return it, but received the full refund without questions within a minute.
I can wait for the regular release date from what I saw:)
From what I've been hearing you should be able to refund it with over two hours of playtime since the premium play period is prior to the release date. However I'd say if you're fence sitting and worried about going over two hours that you wait a bit to confirm that.
I'm going to keep on going with it, but would agree it's not worth the Premium pre-order price as it stands right now, even future DLC considered. It's very much a "Good not Great" experience in the first few hours.
I really do hope space combat improves a bit and starts feeling less like a mini-game, this so far is my biggest gripe and it may just be a factor of dealing with early game enemies.
Yep, already did my refund and received it. I have never refunded from Microsoft directly before but it was a very easy process. Looking at their info, you have to refund within 14 days and not played a lot (they don't give a specific duration). I'll have to keep that in mind in the future as I didn't think they did refunds:)
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 01, 2023, 10:19:51 AMI actually decided to refund it, not that it's that bad of a game and I won't play it, but don't think it justifies the $100 premium order price, which I have serious doubts if I will play it through. I'll just play it through Gamepass instead...only reason I bought it separate, I was thinking about stopping my subscription to gamepass, but I will keep it for now. I was surprised Microsoft allowed me to return it, but received the full refund without questions within a minute.
I can wait for the regular release date from what I saw:)
How did you pay $100 for the premium version? With gamepass, it should only have cost you $30. That's all I paid. Was this because you were going to cancel?
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2023, 12:05:46 PMQuote from: Grim.Reaper on September 01, 2023, 10:19:51 AMI actually decided to refund it, not that it's that bad of a game and I won't play it, but don't think it justifies the $100 premium order price, which I have serious doubts if I will play it through. I'll just play it through Gamepass instead...only reason I bought it separate, I was thinking about stopping my subscription to gamepass, but I will keep it for now. I was surprised Microsoft allowed me to return it, but received the full refund without questions within a minute.
I can wait for the regular release date from what I saw:)
How did you pay $100 for the premium version? With gamepass, it should only have cost you $30. That's all I paid. Was this because you were going to cancel?
Although I have Gamepass, I was thinking about canceling my subscription (don't use it much) and thinking I would play this a long time, I bought the regular version. So I paid the full premium price of $100 for Xbox version. Since this didn't grab me and I doubt the longevity for me from what I saw, just going to keep Gamepass for awhile longer and see if it grows on me and I have no problem now waiting to the standard release date.
I could buy the $30 upgrade like you did, but if I do end up canceling then that is a lost cost....although not a huge cost:)
I'm definitely getting hooked. Its the loot. The weapons (which all look awesome), the suits, the helmets, etc. I also like the combat. I think it feels satisfying. Can't tell whether the main story arc is good or silly crap yet, but I'm following along and starting to dabble in side ops.
Good stuff overall so far though. I can tell I'll sink many many hours into this.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2023, 04:23:33 PMI'm definitely getting hooked. Its the loot. The weapons (which all look awesome), the suits, the helmets, etc. I also like the combat. I think it feels satisfying. Can't tell whether the main story arc is good or silly crap yet, but I'm following along and starting to dabble in side ops.
Good stuff overall so far though. I can tell I'll sink many many hours into this.
Yeah, it's getting its teeth into me too now.
I even created a second character to play a dread pirate. I named him Roberts.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 01, 2023, 06:21:48 PMQuote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2023, 04:23:33 PMI'm definitely getting hooked. Its the loot. The weapons (which all look awesome), the suits, the helmets, etc. I also like the combat. I think it feels satisfying. Can't tell whether the main story arc is good or silly crap yet, but I'm following along and starting to dabble in side ops.
Good stuff overall so far though. I can tell I'll sink many many hours into this.
Yeah, it's getting its teeth into me too now.
I even created a second character to play a dread pirate. I named him Roberts.
(https://y.yarn.co/ea6926e2-8a7d-4725-9b0c-bdb819ee90f6_text.gif)
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2023, 07:25:38 PM(https://y.yarn.co/ea6926e2-8a7d-4725-9b0c-bdb819ee90f6_text.gif)
Exactly. It's hard to resist the really asshole heavy responses in the dialogue.
So, yes.
It takes a bit but it gets better....a lot better.
This is a game that leaves a tiny bit of a bad first impression and then just gradually improves until it has you very hooked.
Yes, slow burn. The story's a bit generic but it's got my very interested in seeing where it goes.
In a lot of ways I get it, it's getting you used to a new universe, new story. Bethesda is having to do some legwork because they've been developing Elder Scrolls for around 25 years and Fallout's about as old even though it was in their hands less. They're trying to start something fresh and catch up.
It didn't do it quite as well as Outer Worlds did in Obsidian's hands, but this has so much more potential than Outer Worlds. They're very easily compared and this might be called Outer Worlds with extreme ambition.
I agree, a bit of a slow burn at first, but it grows on you.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 01, 2023, 10:04:54 PMSo, yes.
It takes a bit but it gets better....a lot better.
This is a game that leaves a tiny bit of a bad first impression and then just gradually improves until it has you very hooked.
Yes, slow burn. The story's a bit generic but it's got my very interested in seeing where it goes.
In a lot of ways I get it, it's getting you used to a new universe, new story. Bethesda is having to do some legwork because they've been developing Elder Scrolls for around 25 years and Fallout's about as old even though it was in their hands less. They're trying to start something fresh and catch up.
It didn't do it quite as well as Outer Worlds did in Obsidian's hands, but this has so much more potential than Outer Worlds. They're very easily compared and this might be called Outer Worlds with extreme ambition.
I'm only a few hours into Starfield, but I get the impression Outer Worlds had much better writing and characterization. Most of the dialogue in Starfield has been very flat, on the nose, workmanlike. Not bad by any means and I still get a few chuckles here and there, and I might be somewhat spoiled by the likes of Baldur's Gate 3.
But yeah, mechanically speaking Starfield is much more ambitious and accomplished already with much more in depth mechanics to star ships, space travel, weapons, etc. Outer Wilds was very much a "upgrade your gun to get +1 to everything" whereas Starfield feels much more in depth with the upgrades.
I still don't understand why none of these games let you name your guns though. I just want to name my hand cannon sidearm "Party Starter" 'cause it gets the party started when I squeeze that trigger. :knuppel2:
Quote from: al_infierno on September 01, 2023, 11:39:00 PMI'm only a few hours into Starfield, but I get the impression Outer Worlds had much better writing and characterization. Most of the dialogue in Starfield has been very flat, on the nose, workmanlike. Not bad by any means and I still get a few chuckles here and there, and I might be somewhat spoiled by the likes of Baldur's Gate 3.
But yeah, mechanically speaking Starfield is much more ambitious and accomplished already with much more in depth mechanics to star ships, space travel, weapons, etc. Outer Wilds was very much a "upgrade your gun to get +1 to everything" whereas Starfield feels much more in depth with the upgrades.
I still don't understand why none of these games let you name your guns though. I just want to name my hand cannon sidearm "Party Starter" 'cause it gets the party started when I squeeze that trigger. :knuppel2:
Outer Worlds vs Starfield is absolutely Obsidian vs Bethesda. It's Fallout New Vegas vs Fallout 4.
Obsidian is always going to have better writing, better story, better engagement. They put the heart into Fallout and into everything they do, but they can be thin in other areas. I loved Outer Worlds Story, but soured on the game mid way.
Starfield is absolutely as you say, on the nose and getting the story done. It's got a lot of charm in some places and some absurdity, especially if you pick the adoring fan trait! But yeah, it can't touch what Obsidian does in storytelling.
But in all I think Starfield from what I've seen has more potential mechanically. Story wise? Got to play longer to really see.
And lets be real, none of these games have ANYTHING yet on this...
Glad things are picking up for people...even though I returned the Premier edition, still intend resume playing it once the regular release happens. My only fear is the fact it seems to pick up after awhile...which means if I want to start over for some reason either to try a different character or because of some patch, then its back through the early parts. Probably best for me just to start and plow through regardless and don't worry about restarting.
A couple of tips...
First, for NVidia people head over to Nexus Mods and get the DLSS plugin and reshade. It very heavily improves the crispness of the visuals.
Second, a gameplay tip. Never just exit your ship from the pilot chair. One reason, f you don't have your helmet on it won't warn you and that can be a nasty surprise. The better reason is that if you just take a short nap before your excursion on your bunk, you get a well rested XP boost that stacks with other food based boosters.
About four hours in and I have only seen one bug, and that was easily ignored. For a game this complex, that technically hasn't been released yet, that's an accomplishment.
Some minor gameplay issues, but nothing too annoying.
As others have pointed out, the game definitely has Bethesda DNA, and they reused many tried and true Bethesda gameplay mechanics.
The engine runs smooth on my rig, and load times are very quick (of course it is on my SSD).
I've had zero bugs.
A very good upgrade from Fallout 4.
And yeah, it has a lot of loading screens, but it's not really different from Elite or Star Citizen.
Cute little secret, Elite, No Mans Sky and Star Citizen just hid their loading screens behind visuals. They still had them.
My NVME SSD handles the loads well and I imagine that's why they made an SSD a requirement.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 02, 2023, 11:27:04 PMAnd yeah, it has a lot of loading screens, but it's not really different from Elite or Star Citizen.
Cute little secret, Elite, No Mans Sky and Star Citizen just hid their loading screens behind visuals. They still had them.
You'll have to explain this one because there aren't loading screens in Star Citizen as far as I know. Certainly nothing like Starfield.
Ran into my first significant bug that prevented me from completing a mission. Had to roll back to a prior save. Lost about 45 minutes of progress. Bummer.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2023, 08:21:20 AMYou'll have to explain this one because there aren't loading screens in Star Citizen as far as I know. Certainly nothing like Starfield.
Every time you go into a warp or get on a train in Star Citizen you're in a loading screen, it's just happening where you can't necessarily see it.
No Mans Sky's devs talked about that, and how their game has a lot of them too just done in such a way you don't know it. It's absolutely a more immersive experience and it's technically impressive, but even they admitted that it took a huge amount of time, resources and effort to pull off that could've been spent on other more content related endeavors.
Starfield just decided to go the other way with it. It's not a detriment to my experience so far. Everything's a trade off.
Flying from DC to Fairbanks (!) today so had a long session with Starfield on my Ally. Actually really impressed.
Whenever the great unwashed internet masses (present company excluded of course) hype anything up this much I'm always extremely skeptical.
But I'm actually quite pleased to say that I'm... quite pleased! A couple of positives that stuck out to me:
1) They talked up a lot before launch the "NASA punk" aesthetic. This is actually a real thing and I like it a lot. The level of detail, texturing, on the ships and suits (for example) is insane. It reminds me very much of being at a Disney World ride where the pre-ride areas (think Star Tours if you've been on it) are often dripping in so much detail and atmosphere that they rival the experience of the ride itself. Of course this is the advantage of being a Bethesda vs. say a one-man show like a Spacebourne II (also a great game BTW). But it really shows.
2) The quality of the gunplay really surpassed my expectations. In FPS mode it's very much what you'd expect from a high quality AAA shooter, and there's an equally functional third person mode (which I actually prefer in games as a rule) which really adds a lot for me. Similarly to 1) you can examine the guns and zoom in on them and see tiny little text about the imaginary companies where the futuristic gun technology was patented. It's just dripping with polish.
3) I was most skeptical about the ships. My main worry was that the flight mechanics would be too arcadey. They absolutely are arcadey, to be sure, but it's Ace Combat rather than Afterburner, if that makes sense. It may not be TIE Fighter or anything close to it, but it does have power balancing, enemy target readouts, multiple weapons systems, cockpit view, etc. Given everything else in the game I can live with it not being DCS-level in the space combat (not that I'd mind that one freaking iota of course if someone were to offer it to me!).
4) This may be the most controversial statement. There's a lot of hubbub over the fact that the game is not seamless. Now, for all its flaws, I like Elite Dangerous a lot. It's pretty much entirely seamless. You can fly in space for days between planets. You can set down on planets and run in one direction for hours. It's.... boring (in my opinion). I like that the option exists. I wish it were optional in Starfield, but I must admit that even if it were, I would use fast travel nearly all the time. Seamless, endless travel is technically impressive, but it is not in my opinion a great game mechanic. Heck, DCS is basically my favorite game and I play it more than everything else combined. I always time accelerate during non-combat waypoint navigation. Your mileage may vary.
But yeah, going in with fairly low expectations and admittedly never having played a Bethesda game previously, I'm somewhere between pleasantly surprised and blown away. I think that as long as you're not expecting it be, well, the game Star Citizen fans have been imagining since day 1 (basically a perfect 1:1 recreation of living in a future space reality with every detail from making a sandwich to flying capital ships and everywhere in between- and I'm not making fun of that desire, I'd love that too), you'll be pretty pleased I think.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 03, 2023, 12:58:47 PMQuote from: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2023, 08:21:20 AMYou'll have to explain this one because there aren't loading screens in Star Citizen as far as I know. Certainly nothing like Starfield.
Every time you go into a warp or get on a train in Star Citizen you're in a loading screen, it's just happening where you can't necessarily see it.
No Mans Sky's devs talked about that, and how their game has a lot of them too just done in such a way you don't know it. It's absolutely a more immersive experience and it's technically impressive, but even they admitted that it took a huge amount of time, resources and effort to pull off that could've been spent on other more content related endeavors.
Starfield just decided to go the other way with it. It's not a detriment to my experience so far. Everything's a trade off.
I don't think that is true. When you're on a train, you can move around, access your inventory, maps and contracts, etc. and when you're in warp, you can drop out at any time, change views, be interdicted, etc. So, it being a loading screen doesn't make any sense.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2023, 01:39:36 PMI don't think that is true. When you're on a train, you can move around, access your inventory, maps and contracts, etc. and when you're in warp, you can drop out at any time, change views, be interdicted, etc. So, it being a loading screen doesn't make any sense.
More like the loading is happening while you are doing that.
I'm misspeaking in calling it a "loading screen" it's just a different approach to loading assets by putting them behind less intensive segments where it scales and streams new areas and data. This is how No Mans Sky also does it.
Elite does it on a more limited basis with planets in system, but it uses the witchspace to hide a more conventional load. If you try to fly in FSD to another distant system it does actually have pauses.
The point is that no matter how you do it there has to be a solution to loading assets as they can't fully render everything all the time everywhere. Starfield's content for me has been worth the trade off. And honestly I've already put in my time space Trucking for hours on a long haul in Elite.
The only thing I do miss is the chance for being intercepted on a trip. If that's in Starfield somehow I haven't seen it yet.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 03, 2023, 01:59:31 PMQuote from: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2023, 01:39:36 PMI don't think that is true. When you're on a train, you can move around, access your inventory, maps and contracts, etc. and when you're in warp, you can drop out at any time, change views, be interdicted, etc. So, it being a loading screen doesn't make any sense.
More like the loading is happening while you are doing that.
I'm misspeaking in calling it a "loading screen" it's just a different approach to loading assets by putting them behind less intensive segments where it scales and streams new areas and data. This is how No Mans Sky also does it.
Elite does it on a more limited basis with planets in system, but it uses the witchspace to hide a more conventional load. If you try to fly in FSD to another distant system it does actually have pauses.
The point is that no matter how you do it there has to be a solution to loading assets as they can't fully render everything all the time everywhere. Starfield's content for me has been worth the trade off. And honestly I've already put in my time space Trucking for hours on a long haul in Elite.
The only thing I do miss is the chance for being intercepted on a trip. If that's in Starfield somehow I haven't seen it yet.
A good example of this is the original trilogy for Gears of War, if you've ever played that. There are sections where Marcus walks around very slowly- in-game- talking to command and getting further orders and story. These are actually cleverly disguised loads. You don't have to show a static screen saying "loading", but you do have to, as Andrew is saying, load the assets somewhere. When it's done we'll you never even notice it, but it is happening. You wouldn't be able to, for example, instantaneously transport between NMS or Elite planets without SOMETHING in between allowing the game time to put the assets in memory. That something can, if designed cleverly, be interactive, but it's still always going to be there.
I'm checking the offerings on Newgg and I'm tempted to upgrade to more recent AMD graphics card (67xx xt) coming with Starfield promo. Prices really came down and more reasonable than some of the current Nvidia offerings for gaming at 1440p.
With space combat, is it mouse and keyboard or can you map hotas and track ir to the game ? Just wondering if it would be worth while. Also does track ir work with starfield ? I'm guessing the game's probably designed for mouse and keyboard only but I thought I'd ask, curious.
Quote from: Skoop on September 03, 2023, 08:51:33 PMWith space combat, is it mouse and keyboard or can you map hotas and track ir to the game ? Just wondering if it would be worth while. Also does track ir work with starfield ? I'm guessing the game's probably designed for mouse and keyboard only but I thought I'd ask, curious.
Definitely not TrackIR. You can map just about anything in terms of key bindings I think, though it's clearly designed with controller or mouse + KB controls in mind. It is obviously (to me) a console game ported to PC. I have an elaborate HOTAS setup for DCS but I've been playing Starfield with an Xbox controller.
Quote from: Skoop on September 03, 2023, 08:51:33 PMWith space combat, is it mouse and keyboard or can you map hotas and track ir to the game ? Just wondering if it would be worth while. Also does track ir work with starfield ? I'm guessing the game's probably designed for mouse and keyboard only but I thought I'd ask, curious.
At least 3 YT videos I've watched say there's no function to map a joystick
Interesting take from a different perspective.
...and mapping a HOTAS would be a waste of time. Space flight and combat is
extremely simple. Its one of the areas that they really missed the mark on. Could have added a lot of immersion and fun here. There is very little point or incentive to flying around in this game and so far, space combat is really just a matter of lining ships up in the sights and wearing shields and hull down as quickly as possible. Yes, eventually you can target systems and disable ships for boarding, but as far as more complex concepts like newtonian physics, etc. It's not here at all.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 04, 2023, 09:40:47 AMInteresting take from a different perspective.
...and mapping a HOTAS would be a waste of time. Space flight and combat is extremely simple. Its one of the areas that they really missed the mark on. Could have added a lot of immersion and fun here. There is very little point or incentive to flying around in this game and so far, space combat is really just a matter of lining ships up in the sights and wearing shields and hull down as quickly as possible. Yes, eventually you can target systems and disable ships for boarding, but as far as more complex concepts like newtonian physics, etc. It's not here at all.
That's true, though I think this is an unnecessarily harsh take. It's like saying Sid Meier's Pirates is a bad game because it doesn't have a DCS-level accurate simulation of a sailing ship. And believe me, no one would be happier than me to have a full-blown Newtonian flight sim with complex systems, but it simply isn't what the game sets out to do. What it does set out to do, which is a different thing, it does exceptionally well. In my totally subjective opinion, this is the inevitable climbdown from the hype of this game having been portrayed as all things to all people. Now that it's a real product actually available to play, it of course does finite things and some people are going to be disappointed relative to the insane pre-release hype levels. That doesn't make it a bad game, or a game that was anything other than what it was intended to be in the first place.
It's frankly a lot like Mass Effect. I don't see anyone criticizing Mass Effect or KOTOR because they lack TIE Fighter-complexity space combat. And Elite has that and a lot of people really dislike it for other reasons. There is this weird thing with space games where a lot of people are on this holy grail quest for the one perfect game that does literally everything, which is why people continue to pour money into the Star Citizen dumpster fire a decade after it's become basically an obvious scam in my view. Other genres aren't usually held to that standard and in my view a lot of space games are unreasonably criticized when they fail to meet it.
I can't believe I'm defending this game when a week ago I thought I'd be the only one not falling for the hype.. :grin:
^Ok, but that kind of begs the question. What exactly does Starfield set out to do? My understanding is that this is supposed to be a space-based RPG with unparalleled freedom. I think this is an RPG in only the lightest sense. It is really limited to what boils down to a "perk" based system and as you get deeper into the game, you see how the system isn't really well-balanced. This is one of W-A-B's main points of criticism. Even the character creation aspect is extremely basic, light and limited for something that is described as an RPG. Also, I'm not feeling like there is a whole lot of freedom, or that the freedom that is there is particularly meaningful. There just isn't that much of note to explore out there so there isn't much of a compelling reason to visit locations other than to follow a trail from a mission. Speaking of missions, most of them have not been very engrossing for me and some of them have even been frustrating. I find myself just wanting to get through them so I can move onto the next thing, or reassert some control over where I'm going or what I'm going to do. There doesn't seem to be any consequence to making decisions outside of the outcome of the particular mission.
So, yes, while I am still enjoying the game and I've already sunk many hours into it, I can see my enjoyment wearing thin in the near future. Hopefully this trajectory will change. I think maybe it will once I get into outpost and ship construction.
Tom's Guide reporting Starfield available for 31.00 through 'XBox Game Pass Ultimate Deal':
https://www.tomsguide.com/deals/get-starfield-for-just-dollar31-thanks-to-this-epic-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-deal?utm_source=notification
Quote from: Gusington on September 04, 2023, 11:04:33 AMTom's Guide reporting Starfield available for 31.00 through 'XBox Game Pass Ultimate Deal':
https://www.tomsguide.com/deals/get-starfield-for-just-dollar31-thanks-to-this-epic-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-deal?utm_source=notification
That appears like just a 3 month subscription to game pass which you then have access to starfield during that time. It is cheap cost for 3 months though.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 04, 2023, 11:13:13 AMQuote from: Gusington on September 04, 2023, 11:04:33 AMTom's Guide reporting Starfield available for 31.00 through 'XBox Game Pass Ultimate Deal':
https://www.tomsguide.com/deals/get-starfield-for-just-dollar31-thanks-to-this-epic-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-deal?utm_source=notification
That appears like just a 3 month subscription to game pass which you then have access to starfield during that time. It is cheap cost for 3 months though.
Yes, that is a very poorly thought out, and written article. It's a good deal for three months of game pass ultimate. After 3 months you're still out $31 and own nothing for Starfield unless you continue to pay more for game pass.
Yea that's why I just bought it. This is a game you'll want in your library forever like Skyrim.
You can get it for 57bucks on steam Key resellers and save 12bucks.
Regular release in 8 hours, will be interesting to see how the player reviews go. Since the early access, I have seen people's view on it all over the place and flip flop quite a bit. Some hated it at the start, now they love it. Others liked it at first but now not sure....while others liked or disliked it all along. I suspect the initial reviews on Steam will tank things but eventually grow to more positive with time.
Just curious for those that got further along, was any other type of vehicles introduced outside of your spaceship? With the little time I had, basically involved walking but does struck me as odd that there wouldn't be other on planet travel modes (rovers, other future transportation, etc.), but maybe they are going to add some of that in future DLC:)
I'll get back into it after the release, still seems like it can be a fun little time waster but doubt I will ever fully complete it which makes it idea for a subscription service like Gamepass.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 05, 2023, 10:47:41 AMRegular release in 8 hours, will be interesting to see how the player reviews go. Since the early access, I have seen people's view on it all over the place and flip flop quite a bit. Some hated it at the start, now they love it. Others liked it at first but now not sure....while others liked or disliked it all along. I suspect the initial reviews on Steam will tank things but eventually grow to more positive with time.
Just curious for those that got further along, was any other type of vehicles introduced outside of your spaceship? With the little time I had, basically involved walking but does struck me as odd that there wouldn't be other on planet travel modes (rovers, other future transportation, etc.), but maybe they are going to add some of that in future DLC:)
I'll get back into it after the release, still seems like it can be a fun little time waster but doubt I will ever fully complete it which makes it idea for a subscription service like Gamepass.
No. There are no vehicles that can be used to traverse planetary surfaces. I believe they stated this in the run-up to release. Its another missed opportunity in my view and also limits the point and utility of planetary exploration.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 02, 2023, 02:05:33 PMA couple of tips...
First, for NVidia people head over to Nexus Mods and get the DLSS plugin and reshade. It very heavily improves the crispness of the visuals.
Second, a gameplay tip. Never just exit your ship from the pilot chair. One reason, f you don't have your helmet on it won't warn you and that can be a nasty surprise. The better reason is that if you just take a short nap before your excursion on your bunk, you get a well rested XP boost that stacks with other food based boosters.
What kind of pussy character are you playing? Someone with the "momma's boy" trait?
Just kidding, I did it too, one without helmet and another time without a cannister.... those close to absolute zero temperature planets/moons are a bitch.
Watch out for those vents too on habitable planets - they do permanent damage.... haven't gone to a doctor yet... my lungs are trash.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 05, 2023, 10:56:33 AMQuote from: Grim.Reaper on September 05, 2023, 10:47:41 AMRegular release in 8 hours, will be interesting to see how the player reviews go. Since the early access, I have seen people's view on it all over the place and flip flop quite a bit. Some hated it at the start, now they love it. Others liked it at first but now not sure....while others liked or disliked it all along. I suspect the initial reviews on Steam will tank things but eventually grow to more positive with time.
Just curious for those that got further along, was any other type of vehicles introduced outside of your spaceship? With the little time I had, basically involved walking but does struck me as odd that there wouldn't be other on planet travel modes (rovers, other future transportation, etc.), but maybe they are going to add some of that in future DLC:)
I'll get back into it after the release, still seems like it can be a fun little time waster but doubt I will ever fully complete it which makes it idea for a subscription service like Gamepass.
No. There are no vehicles that can be used to traverse planetary surfaces. I believe they stated this in the run-up to release. Its another missed opportunity in my view and also limits the point and utility of planetary exploration.
Definitely makes exploration a less than lucrative money maker. I go around to abandoned bases to take down pirates for their loot. Getting ever closer to being a murder hobo.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 05, 2023, 10:56:33 AMQuote from: Grim.Reaper on September 05, 2023, 10:47:41 AMRegular release in 8 hours, will be interesting to see how the player reviews go. Since the early access, I have seen people's view on it all over the place and flip flop quite a bit. Some hated it at the start, now they love it. Others liked it at first but now not sure....while others liked or disliked it all along. I suspect the initial reviews on Steam will tank things but eventually grow to more positive with time.
Just curious for those that got further along, was any other type of vehicles introduced outside of your spaceship? With the little time I had, basically involved walking but does struck me as odd that there wouldn't be other on planet travel modes (rovers, other future transportation, etc.), but maybe they are going to add some of that in future DLC:)
I'll get back into it after the release, still seems like it can be a fun little time waster but doubt I will ever fully complete it which makes it idea for a subscription service like Gamepass.
No. There are no vehicles that can be used to traverse planetary surfaces. I believe they stated this in the run-up to release. Its another missed opportunity in my view and also limits the point and utility of planetary exploration.
Thanks for confirming, I suspected that to be the case...would agree it seems like a missed opportunity.
Copying my review from Steam here. Make up your own mind.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/DetCord/recommended/1716740?snr=1_5_9__402 (https://steamcommunity.com/id/DetCord/recommended/1716740?snr=1_5_9__402)
QuoteStarfield is a bit like that [insert foreign bride] you've been told so much about. You've seen the pictures, heard the stories, and have even watched a few videos, ya know, online. You're excited! The day finally arrives to pick her up at the airport, a week early if you paid extra, and that's when you begin to notice a few things.
This contains no spoilers.
Visuals:
Nothing groundbreaking here, not really. Is it an improvement over previous titles? Yeah at times, kinda sorta. But there isn't much here to write home about. Even with all of the settings maxed out I was still disappointed with the visual fidelity, or lack thereof. Also, I should note that I had to turn on FSR2 to even make the game visually appealing because with it off, well, it looks fairly ugly with nonexistent AA and textures appearing muddy or washed out.
Most of the modeling is on par with what you'd expect from BGS. However, I came across far more examples of low-poly assets than I ever did in F4, Skyrim or Vegas, and for a game releasing in 2023 this really isn't acceptable. For instance, I was out flying my ship around one day and came upon a massive asteroid field. The closer I got, and you don't have to get that close, I could literally start counting the tri's and vert's that were visible as sharp planes and angles jutted about. It looked like someone had tossed down the Pyramids of Giza and slapped low-res rock textures on them.
It's pretty obvious at this point that the Creation Engine, no matter what version number they wanna slap on the end is far too outdated for this and future titles. They've pushed it far beyond its sell by date.
Sights and Sounds:
This is a mixed bag for me. The settled systems are interesting with Jemison being the star complete with large open spaces, sprawling locales, and the populace going about their daily routines. That said, these spaces are often lacking substance with what feels like its big and spread out just to be big and spread out. It lacks cognitive design is the best way I can describe it. Similarly, most of the habitable worlds you encounter are boring slogs with repeat flora and fauna jumbled together in an incoherent manner. Honestly, I found the planets devoid of life to be far more interesting and visually striking with their barren and strange landscapes, lack of atmosphere, and views of neighboring worlds simply unparalleled. Beautiful desolation as it were.
Sound design is in my opinion, better than any previous BGS title. The weapons auditorily pack a punch, the urban and rural environments sound lived in with industrial sections giving off clanks and pangs as they build and produce, computers, doors and hatches, ships engines and their ambiance, various forms of technology, and even your footsteps on a variety of terrain sounding excellent. That said, the soundtrack is not up to par in any sense of the word. I couldn't help but hear familiar tones and melodies from Fallout 4 and other BGS titles (specifically F4) as I made my way across the galaxy, like very, very familiar. I wasn't expecting a score akin to something from Hans Zimmer or James Horner but this feels completely off and lackadaisical.
Places to go, things to do, people to kill:
Plenty of content here. It may be rinse and repeat in many ways but there is a lot. A whole lot. So much so you could spend a dozen hours on one planet and barely scratch the surface with regards to the discoveries and dynamic encounters. I spent almost six hours on Kreet alone, raiding pirate and cultist bases, boarding and stealing ships of which I had seized three before I even left, and all in the initial stages of the game before I realized I should get on with the story. Speaking of the story and without using any spoilers, its passable with the general flair you've come to expect from a Bethesda game. However, if you haven't done the Vanguard side story/quest do so. It's enthralling. It's well written. And it is terrifying. Think James Cameron in 1986 with a dash of Mass Effect.
Other side quests range from great to the typical banal go fetch missions the likes of which you've come to expect. Some are memorable, most aren't. Quite a lot of the more interesting ones are those that begin simple enough and then branch out into missions spanning far flung worlds where your decisions could have far reaching consequences. As far as companions go they're what you've come to expect from previous and or similar titles and found most of the them neither engaging nor interesting.
Exploration:
As for exploration it feels like an afterthought and is easily the weakest aspect of the game. You're not exploring anything as everything has already been landed upon, surveyed, mined to death, and then abandoned. You just fast travel everywhere. When you tell NPC's you're with Constellation (literal explorers) they all respond with confusion as they thought the organization had long since been defunct. How's that for irony...
Space Combat and Ship Building:
They nailed space combat, period. It may not be Elite or SC level but again, they nailed it. Along those lines the ship building component of the game is similarly excellent and exactly as advertised. I've spent hours in it alone.
Final Thoughts
Starfield is a mixed bag to be sure. It has moments of tedium and moments of excitement. There are lots of things to do, see, participate in, though the caliber of said 'things' varies wildly. Starfield isn't a bad game by any measure, not in my opinion. But it isn't great either.
Before EA release I had been pouring over reviews to get an idea as to people opinions. Two of those reviews were from PC Gamer and IGN and both I almost immediately dismissed. Now, after having played for 25+ hours I find myself reading them again and generally agreeing. I'd even say that both were slightly generous in many regards.
System:
i7 9700K OC'd to 5.0Ghz
24GB RAM
6750 XT
PCIe SSD
1440p
0 Comments
Quote from: DetCord on September 06, 2023, 12:38:05 AMCopying my review from Steam here. Make up your own mind.
Good review. Can't disagree with most of it.
Pretty much summed up a lot of what I feel.
It has it moments though....
Losing the battle. Rammed the enemy.
(https://i.imgur.com/zTKS3wr.png)
Random.
(https://i.imgur.com/K56pZ0w.jpg)
Based on the pre release comments in most places, I thought for sure the steam reviews would start out mostly negative but hasn't been the case as sits pretty comfortable at very positive. Maybe the vocal minority was the loudest but seems the majority liking it if their reviews are to be believed. Of course over time it can change.
Well, those asteroids don't look especially low-poly. And I've played early Empyrion: Galactic Survival (to its effective limit back at the time); those look better than Empy did, or Avorion. Admittedly, I haven't messed around with Elite much less Star Citizen or NMS.
So I gather they're sometimes low poly and sometimes not? A loading artifact, or some areas better than others?
I have a middle of the road gaming computer, nothing high-end in it. I see no poor graphics, but I am sure that facial expressions/dynamics took a hit somewhere during the early game.
Note to File: Whereas taking on a dozen or more space pirates is doable and enjoyable (shoot a few clips, relocate, repeat); taking on more than 3 pirate ships is highly inadvisable.
Question: I started building a outpost but ran out of resources. Any clue on how to recall/find it again. I thought since I put a beacon down it would be kind of obvious when you pull out the map function..... but not so much. Thanks in advance
Wow, I just realized that when you shoot asteroids they break down into resources.
Also, on Jemison there is a flight training facility and the kills you get in there count towards leveling your piloting skills at no risk to your ship.
:notworthy:
... Thanks for that SAD
meanwhile, I got poutine from a vending machine.... small wins
^In-game or in real life?
Quote from: Gusington on September 07, 2023, 07:12:42 PM^In-game or in real life?
Well in the game my character is a raging alcoholic, chugging wine and booze constantly to get a bonus to his speech and persuasion.
That's awfully darned close to real life.
Another tip, something I didn't notice till now..
When harvesting resources, use RMB to "Aim" your cutter before harvesting minerals. It makes harvesting significantly quicker.
Still very much a WIP, but I said I was working on it.
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/1323 (https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/1323)
(https://i.imgur.com/TvMP1aP.png)
Quote from: Gusington on September 07, 2023, 07:12:42 PM^In-game or in real life?
In game, comes in a can....
Real life I make it about 1x month
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 07, 2023, 07:38:16 PMQuote from: Gusington on September 07, 2023, 07:12:42 PM^In-game or in real life?
Well in the game my character is a raging alcoholic, chugging wine and booze constantly to get a bonus to his speech and persuasion.
That's awfully darned close to real life.
Life imitates
art computer games.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 08, 2023, 12:08:13 AMAnother tip, something I didn't notice till now..
When harvesting resources, use RMB to "Aim" your cutter before harvesting minerals. It makes harvesting significantly quicker.
Kind of makes sense... a great tip!
BTW killing pirates on the ground and taking their ships is a great way to boost your fleet. Too bad that in my first attempt I chickened out on switching ships in order to claim it. (thinking I would lose my other ship). Seems a weird mechanic to me.
Speaking of weird mechanics - base building. OK it makes sense to wire things up connectivity wise but damn the menu/commands to do it are borderline obscure/obtuse.
Quote from: Windigo on September 08, 2023, 12:10:33 PM[
BTW killing pirates on the ground and taking their ships is a great way to boost your fleet. Too bad that in my first attempt I chickened out on switching ships in order to claim it. (thinking I would lose my other ship). Seems a weird mechanic to me.
Yup, you don't lose your ship. You can commandeer any ship in space or on the ground and if you fly it to a base it becomes "Home" and you can switch back at any Ship Services Agent.
But, some pointers. On every Pirate you take, there's going to be contraband on board. It's marked with a yellow marker. Either jettison it out or make sure you have found a neutral port where you can go and sell it on the black market, or else you'll be stopped and fined/jailed at any controlled system.
Also note that selling a captured ship isn't terribly profitable as to sell, you'll need to register it first which has a fee that's about 95% of the sell cost.
Not sure if you can sell unregistered ships to black markets or pirates as they are kind of shoot on sight when my drunken space Lawman shows up.
Rather than build bases, can you take them over abandoned bases after you take them from pirates?
Another tip.
Do yourself a huge favor and download the neutral LUT's mod from Nexus. It eliminates the horrible washed out dark colors and gets some true deep blacks.
Kind of important for a game that is set in space and has lots of dark places.
Quote from: ArizonaTank on September 08, 2023, 01:01:05 PMRather than build bases, can you take them over abandoned bases after you take them from pirates?
Now that would be cool. Remove pirates, salvage base, bring back online, install faithful henchmen.... print money
Aha, figured out contraband and stolen items.
At the Den in the Wolf system, they won't scan you when you dock even though it's UC space.
The Trade Authority there will buy anything, no questions asked.
Sell the contraband there safely, better than dumping it out the airlock. You can also sell them any goods marked stolen and then buy them back for same price. Essentially the Trade Authority actively helps you launder your items.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 08, 2023, 12:16:40 PMdrunken space Lawman
that is just your cover for being the ringleader of an extensive smuggling operation
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 08, 2023, 12:16:40 PMpirates [...] are kind of shoot on sight when my drunken space Lawman shows up.
Did you take some kind of lawman background trait to cause this reaction, or was it because you joined the UC Marines or whomever?
I really like how the game seems to react to your background traits. I chose a drunken space gangster, and the first time I got arrested for shoplifting, I got shipped to Phobos where some big honcho in a suit made me an offer to become a rat and infiltrate the Crimson Fleet to gather evidence and get their leaders arrested.
My fine was only 50 credits, but naturally I jumped at a very interesting sounding storyline. It's been great fun so far trying to balance my choices between doing bad-guy stuff to keep the Crimson Fleet happy, while trying to stay on the moral path so my handlers in UC don't haul me to prison.
Very compelling stuff, and all because of the "Wanted" trait I picked at character creation. None of Bethesda's previous games have anything like this - it reminds me more of the first Mass Effect in a very good way.
Quote from: al_infierno on September 08, 2023, 09:57:51 PMDid you take some kind of lawman background trait to cause this reaction, or was it because you joined the UC Marines or whomever?
Yes, I took Bounty Hunter as a background and did the questline to join the Freestar Rangers and get my Ranger Badge and Star Eagle complete with space brig.
Pirates shoot on sight anyway but I'm pretty sure I'm locked out of the questline to join them. Dunno though, I'm doing UC Vanguard missions even though I'm a Ranger so it might be like Elder Scrolls/Fallout 4 where you can do everything with no repercussions.
I like to imagine my character and yours getting on the wrong side of one another's blasters in a hive of scum and villainy somewhere in a distant corner of the galaxy. :beermug[1]: :ThumbsUp:
Quote from: al_infierno on September 08, 2023, 10:02:45 PMI like to imagine my character and yours getting on the wrong side of one another's blasters in a hive of scum and villainy somewhere in a distant corner of the galaxy. :beermug[1]: :ThumbsUp:
Nah, my character's a friendly sort. He usually talks the situation down after a few shots of whiskey and strong rolls on the persuasion tree.
Empath and Extrovert are insanely good combed together. Both of them give big bonuses to your companion in combat and makes it easier to conserve O2 on surveys, but they provide bonuses beyond that that aren't mentioned in character creation like unique dialogue insights that combine with a good persuade.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 08, 2023, 10:14:57 PMQuote from: al_infierno on September 08, 2023, 10:02:45 PMI like to imagine my character and yours getting on the wrong side of one another's blasters in a hive of scum and villainy somewhere in a distant corner of the galaxy. :beermug[1]: :ThumbsUp:
Nah, my character's a friendly sort. He usually talks the situation down after a few shots of whiskey and strong rolls on the persuasion tree.
Empath and Extrovert are insanely good combed together. Both of them give big bonuses to your companion in combat and makes it easier to conserve O2 on surveys, but they provide bonuses beyond that that aren't mentioned in character creation like unique dialogue insights that combine with a good persuade.
That works well 'cause my character is a failed extrovert who would probably shoot first and miss like Greedo, leaving himself to the honorable Lawman's mercy :ROFL:
I'll have to give the Empath + Extrovert build a try when I make a law-abiding character for my next playthrough.
Empath-Extrovert is great for companion based builds.
One thing I've noticed so far is that I've yet to find a companion outside Vasco that is ok with murder, so it seemed a good build to get deep into companion storylines before I chose to go with my Pirate Roberts and open some throats across the galaxy doing the red work!
Yarr
:Axe_anim:
That's definitely a big gap in the game IMO. Every RPG needs a chaotic evil party member who you can bring along to bring out the worst in you. :tempted:
Ok, another tip..
At least start the Back to Vectera story mission line. You get a good companion right away and more importantly at the first stage you get what I think is the only upgrade to the cutter that exists in the game.
On PC, how the heck do you target ship systems in space combat?
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 09, 2023, 06:06:35 AMOn PC, how the heck do you target ship systems in space combat?
To do this,
you'll need a specific skill in the Tech skill tree:
Targeting Control Systems. This "unlocks ship targeting functionality" and upgrades in the tree will allow you to lock on to ships faster.
Once you have this unlocked, you can use it on ships by aiming your reticle on them and starting the lock on process by pressing E (PC) or A (Xbox).
After the target locks, press R (PC) or X (Xbox). This will zoom in on the ship and time will slow down.
You can then select the target ship's engine by using the arrow keys (PC) or the left stick (Xbox).
Quote from: Pete Dero on September 09, 2023, 07:50:15 AMQuote from: Jarhead0331 on September 09, 2023, 06:06:35 AMOn PC, how the heck do you target ship systems in space combat?
To do this, you'll need a specific skill in the Tech skill tree: Targeting Control Systems. This "unlocks ship targeting functionality" and upgrades in the tree will allow you to lock on to ships faster.
Once you have this unlocked, you can use it on ships by aiming your reticle on them and starting the lock on process by pressing E (PC) or A (Xbox).
After the target locks, press R (PC) or X (Xbox). This will zoom in on the ship and time will slow down.
You can then select the target ship's engine by using the arrow keys (PC) or the left stick (Xbox).
Thanks. I hate the perk based system. I need to spend points to be able to target parts. Dumb.
^Very Fallout-ish.
Sheesh....
What is everyone's protocol for ending dialogue in space? Normally I left click to skip through dialogue but I just accidentally shot a random ship I had just finished trading with, pissing off everybody in my crew. :tickedoff:
Quote from: al_infierno on September 09, 2023, 06:57:01 PMSheesh....
What is everyone's protocol for ending dialogue in space? Normally I left click to skip through dialogue but I just accidentally shot a random ship I had just finished trading with, pissing off everybody in my crew. :tickedoff:
Use the TAB key.
Has anybody caught the worth a buy videos on Starfield. He is usually entertaining and well balanced in his reviews. Alas he had his own expectations.
Quote from: Destraex on September 10, 2023, 07:50:04 PMHas anybody caught the worth a buy videos on Starfield.
Jarhead did a few days ago (post 114) :cool:
I don't think disaster is a correct description, but the title generated 10 times more views than his other videos.
The game isn't bad but the hype was too big. The promised whole new gaming experience turned out to be Fallout in space.
Quote from: Pete Dero on September 11, 2023, 03:00:30 AMI don't think disaster is a correct description, but the title generated 10 times more views than his other videos.
The game isn't bad but the hype was too big. The promised whole new gaming experience turned out to be Fallout in space.
I agree with everything on the video, but I think that all that stuff is minor (IMHO) and I am sure Bethesda will fix it as many of us pony up with wallets open for future expansions.
I have about 20 hours in the game, and I think it is a great game. Sure, it's Fallout in space, but that is still a big deal IMHO.
Yep, Fallout in space is a big deal.
What makes it great in my mind is the depth and decisions you have to make in main and side missions. The fact that you can talk, stealth or fight your way through many missions is brilliant.
I played through one side mission (Failure to Communicate), helping farmers against pirates, that I felt was as good as the main mission in many other open-world games.
Then there is Bethesda's use of character development. If you want you can really get to know the NPCs, their motivations and feelings (interestingly, if you aren't into that, you can often skip these dialogs).
Bethesda is still king of the open-world, IMHO. Elden Ring's world tries, but doesn't even come close.
Given all the good stuff in Starfield, I can forgive a little bit of over-hype...
The game was way overhyped, but it's super fun nonetheless. I can see myself doing several play throughs with different character backgrounds. I saw somewhere that there's a new game+ feature where you start a new game with most of your xp levels and perks which makes play throughs less a chore.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 08, 2023, 10:35:22 PMOk, another tip..
At least start the Back to Vectera story mission line. You get a good companion right away and more importantly at the first stage you get what I think is the only upgrade to the cutter that exists in the game.
I love my modified arc welder....
Hmmm, stole a Crimson Pirate Phantom space ship and now it switched models to another elite pirate group..... I can't recall their name, but I will edit this later tonight.
Anyway it's weird
Again, the game isn't bad by any means. It isn't great either. It also isn't even remotely as bad as Mack makes it out to be. I think it is important to remember that WAB transformed into a drama channel a few years ago as drama draws clicks, and clicks equal ad-rev for him, even though he does make some very good points. Though those points have been made by everyone else.
Minus the at times horrific dialogue, some very poor writing here and there, and a whole boatload of bugs, I'm still playing it even after nearly 60+ hours. My biggest qualm or qualms are the QoL aspects or complete lack thereof. BGS had the opportunity to create secondary or tertiary game systems like trade, cargo, resources etc.
There is absolutely no economy in the game. No trade routes or market. No demands or fluctuating demands based upon various aspects. Nothing. Outposts are an afterthought and are utterly worthless other than a place to dump companions or a credit generation hub for you as a player just because. The ability to create your own galaxy spanning FedEx or Helium-3 Exxon just isn't a thing. I'd have loved to have to ability to do so, to purchase ships or build them, assign an AI crew to routes even if the concept is abstracted, and build a business empire based upon commodities. Utterly wasted opportunity.
As for reviews, Luke is on the money.
^sounds like the X-series would be up your alley.
I think Starfield (indeed all games) needs to be judged based on what it is and not what we would like it to be. I never followed it closely during development so I can't say whether functional economies and player made empires were ever supposed to be a thing. Hard to believe they would be in a story-based Bethesda RPG. That has never been the case, although you could own property, harvest, craft, trade, join groups, etc.
I agree, I've had no use for the outpost system or really even the ship construction system (other than when a mission required it). Perhaps these systems and their relationship to the game will be the focus of a future expansion?
The fact that we have criticisms of the game, but have still dumped so many hours into it speaks loudly. Despite its shortcomings, despite absent features, it's just a lot of fun. For me it's the questing for ever better loot and faster-shooting, more powerful pew pew guns. It keeps me diving into the unknown in pursuit of new missions for now while allowing me to wear so many different hats...a cosmic explorer, naval aviator, spy/double agent, pirate, sheriff deputy, etc. Good stuff overall.
Interesting email leak from Erin Roberts. I happen to agree completely with his take on Starfield as it compares to the tech in Star Citizen.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 13, 2023, 06:44:41 AMThe fact that we have criticisms of the game, but have still dumped so many hours into it speaks loudly.
We're fickle? :laugh:
I am trying the Ranger series of quests .... I don't like their attitude to me as a Deputy... may come back and try and take the whole organization out ... if that is possible... hell there are only like 12 of them.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 13, 2023, 06:44:41 AM^sounds like the X-series would be up your alley.
I think Starfield (indeed all games) needs to be judged based on what it is and not what we would like it to be. I never followed it closely during development so I can't say whether functional economies and player made empires were ever supposed to be a thing. Hard to believe they would be in a story-based Bethesda RPG. That has never been the case, although you could own property, harvest, craft, trade, join groups, etc.
I agree, I've had no use for the outpost system or really even the ship construction system (other than when a mission required it). Perhaps these systems and their relationship to the game will be the focus of a future expansion?
The fact that we have criticisms of the game, but have still dumped so many hours into it speaks loudly. Despite its shortcomings, despite absent features, it's just a lot of fun. For me it's the questing for ever better loot and faster-shooting, more powerful pew pew guns. It keeps me diving into the unknown in pursuit of new missions for now while allowing me to wear so many different hats...a cosmic explorer, naval aviator, spy/double agent, pirate, sheriff deputy, etc. Good stuff overall.
I played the X series back in the day and really enjoyed it. However, it's been so long since I've touched one of the titles I'd hate to have to get back into the awful GUI and endless key commands. That's always been the X series biggest turnoff for me and lots and lots of other people. That being the insane GUI related learning curve.
Agreed. I enjoy Starfield for precisely what it is. An RPG set in outer space. You really do need to try ship building though.
Spent over an hour on this bad boy and it rips through everything.
(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/2097044275949659468/07792572CA81B31D10B02439FEA6BF53A8B67839/?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false)
Quote from: Windigo on September 13, 2023, 12:51:10 PMI am trying the Ranger series of quests .... I don't like their attitude to me as a Deputy... may come back and try and take the whole organization out ... if that is possible... hell there are only like 12 of them.
It's best to stick with the quest and play nice for the reward you get at the end.
It'll take a while. I get sidetracked scanning planets and wiping out pirate bases looking for those sweet drops.
Right now in the Ranger quest I am chasing the woman down after she left the hospital and went to the mine.
^That sounds very close to real life.
Not my life.....
Chasing women down and mines?
Possibly a spoiler, but apparently you can find a planet with a mad AI that spends its time making clones of historical people, so you can chat with the likes of FDR and Genghis Khan. :shocked:
https://twitter.com/NikoMueller/status/1703135035124076990
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be checking that out.
Like all Bethesda games, I'm finding that the dialogue and mission plots are a mixed bag. They vary from laughably bad to exceptional.
Overall though, this is a great game for what it is and I am really enjoying the experience. I haven't played anything else since it released.
You were right JH, the Ranger quest series is worth it. The ship is big enough to get lost in.
Now I am swaggering around like I own the place. Still haven't put anyone into the jail cells yet, but if one of my companions doesn't put out soon..... (I miss Fable).
Quote from: Windigo on September 18, 2023, 10:03:52 AMYou were right JH, the Ranger quest series is worth it. The ship is big enough to get lost in.
Now I am swaggering around like I own the place. Still haven't put anyone into the jail cells yet, but if one of my companions doesn't put out soon..... (I miss Fable).
Sarah Morgan is a prude. We've professed our love for each other and are planning our wedding, but I've never gotten so much as a kiss on the cheek. I'm gonna see what Andreja is doing tonight.
:Party:
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 18, 2023, 10:28:56 AMQuote from: Windigo on September 18, 2023, 10:03:52 AMYou were right JH, the Ranger quest series is worth it. The ship is big enough to get lost in.
Now I am swaggering around like I own the place. Still haven't put anyone into the jail cells yet, but if one of my companions doesn't put out soon..... (I miss Fable).
Sarah Morgan is a prude. We've professed our love for each other and are planning our wedding, but I've never gotten so much as a kiss on the cheek. I'm gonna see what Andreja is doing tonight.
Good luck!
nerds :RockOn:
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 18, 2023, 04:37:26 PMnerds :RockOn:
Just pining for more realism in RPGs. Hell I think it would be funny as hell if it allowed for things to get... complicated.
Now having said that, I had no idea I was addicted to stimulants until I checked my status.
Something called junk flush fixed it for me though. A real RPG would have my associates avoiding me until my withdrawl symptoms were gone.... no intervention either.
"Sorry Ranger Joshua, but we are forcibly admitting you into a shitty drug treatment centre. Yeah we know you took that shit to help keep us alive and paid, but fuck you for being a junkie."
Oh yeah, we'll take your ship and spin around waiting for you, maybe mess up a few pirates/pilgrimages while we are waiting for you to clean up yourelf.
Quote from: Windigo on September 18, 2023, 05:24:00 PMQuote from: GDS_Starfury on September 18, 2023, 04:37:26 PMnerds :RockOn:
Just pining for more realism in RPGs. Hell I think it would be funny as hell if it allowed for things to get... complicated.
Now having said that, I had no idea I was addicted to stimulants until I checked my status.
Something called junk flush fixed it for me though. A real RPG would have my associates avoiding me until my withdrawl symptoms were gone.... no intervention either.
"Sorry Ranger Joshua, but we are forcibly admitting you into a shitty drug treatment centre. Yeah we know you took that shit to help keep us alive and paid, but fuck you for being a junkie."
Oh yeah, we'll take your ship and spin around waiting for you, maybe mess up a few pirates/pilgrimages while we are waiting for you to clean up yourelf.
I'm OK with "relationships" in RPGs, just as long as they are not too real. I don't want my character to be woken up in the middle of the night to discuss 'our relationship.'
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
I hear you, I have the t-shirt.
Ex #2 was all about those type of things... very insecure
I generally avoid relationships in these games unless there's a good story reason for it, and here there's not really that I can see. However.....
You get a 15% "Emotional Support" XP bonus when you're married if you "sleep".
So, yeah, prude or not Sarah and I tied the knot fast and now I wear her out before I wear out the bad guys.
I didn't listen to the hype, had no expectations, didn't watch any reviews before playing and bought it 2 weeks after release.
I'm having as much fun, if not more, than I did with Skyrim - for me it's simply a great game, tons of fun, and I've not stopped playing it.
I ran into another mission killing bug. It's the second show stopper I hit.
Until I find away around it, I've transitioned back to Cyberpunk 2077 with the new 2.0 update and eager for Phantom Liberty to hit the streets tomorrow.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2023, 08:22:10 AMI ran into another mission killing bug. It's the second show stopper I hit.
Until I find away around it, I've transitioned back to Cyberpunk 2077 with the new 2.0 update and eager for Phantom Liberty to hit the streets tomorrow.
It looks you are not alone : Cyberpunk 2077 has double the number of players on Steam than Starfield and it is among the most popular games on Twitch right now.
Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 has been really well received and the DLC should add around 30 hours to the base game.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2023, 08:22:10 AMI ran into another mission killing bug. It's the second show stopper I hit.
Until I find away around it, I've transitioned back to Cyberpunk 2077 with the new 2.0 update and eager for Phantom Liberty to hit the streets tomorrow.
Not to derail this thread....bought Cyberpunk initially and with all the negatively pretty much shelved it after not getting far. But certainly has received positive feedback since. Just curious, what has become unique about it and possibly different than others, what's making you get into it again besides the upcoming expansion?
Also according to my steam account it says releasing in 7 hours which would be about 7pm eastern today.
Why is everybody so hyper about Starfield and no mention of Baldur's Gate 3? I thought BG3 is the better game?
Quote from: Redwolf on September 25, 2023, 11:51:01 AMWhy is everybody so hyper about Starfield and no mention of Baldur's Gate 3? I thought BG3 is the better game?
They are two entirely different games. I don't think they are mutually exclusive. We have a separate BG3 thread.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 25, 2023, 10:44:40 AMQuote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2023, 08:22:10 AMI ran into another mission killing bug. It's the second show stopper I hit.
Until I find away around it, I've transitioned back to Cyberpunk 2077 with the new 2.0 update and eager for Phantom Liberty to hit the streets tomorrow.
Not to derail this thread....bought Cyberpunk initially and with all the negatively pretty much shelved it after not getting far. But certainly has received positive feedback since. Just curious, what has become unique about it and possibly different than others, what's making you get into it again besides the upcoming expansion?
Also according to my steam account it says releasing in 7 hours which would be about 7pm eastern today.
I'm the wrong person to opine. I thought the initial release was exceptional and I never understood all the backlash, negative feedback and animosity. Before there were any substantial patches of any kind I had over 60 hours in the game.
Back to Starfield... been collecting those artifact super powers.... that anti-gravity power is the bomb
Quote from: Windigo on September 25, 2023, 12:41:40 PMBack to Starfield... been collecting those artifact super powers.... that anti-gravity power is the bomb
My favorite is the 02. I need it to get around since I'm so damn over-encumbered!
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2023, 12:43:54 PMQuote from: Windigo on September 25, 2023, 12:41:40 PMBack to Starfield... been collecting those artifact super powers.... that anti-gravity power is the bomb
My favorite is the 02. I need it to get around since I'm so damn over-encumbered!
I saw that one.... that's a good tip JH.
I topped out my fitness sprinting around Akila City over encumbered.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2023, 12:40:09 PMQuote from: Grim.Reaper on September 25, 2023, 10:44:40 AMQuote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2023, 08:22:10 AMI ran into another mission killing bug. It's the second show stopper I hit.
Until I find away around it, I've transitioned back to Cyberpunk 2077 with the new 2.0 update and eager for Phantom Liberty to hit the streets tomorrow.
Ok no problem, I'll probably give it a try again...thanks.
Not to derail this thread....bought Cyberpunk initially and with all the negatively pretty much shelved it after not getting far. But certainly has received positive feedback since. Just curious, what has become unique about it and possibly different than others, what's making you get into it again besides the upcoming expansion?
Also according to my steam account it says releasing in 7 hours which would be about 7pm eastern today.
I'm the wrong person to opine. I thought the initial release was exceptional and I never understood all the backlash, negative feedback and animosity. Before there were any substantial patches of any kind I had over 60 hours in the game.
Well, this is what happens on a boarding action against a Spacer Pirate vessel when you ignite the bad guy's jet pack when the door to the next module is closed...
(https://i.ibb.co/7S05SCj/jetpack.jpg)
I was on a hill and shot an Ecliptic mercenary. His backpack exploded and he went straight up in the air. The gravity was only 0.14G so he just kept going up. I had to track him using a weapon with a medium scope. Just as I thought he was going into orbit, he began falling back down and finally impacted about two minutes after I shot him :)
I've found Starfield to be excellent and extremely addictive. It may not be for everyone (and the acting is fairly terrible) but the gameplay is just perfect for me. I bought the game 17 days ago and I have 145 hours played :)
Quote from: Steve Walmsley on October 03, 2023, 08:09:05 AMI was on a hill and shot an Ecliptic mercenary. His backpack exploded and he went straight up in the air. The gravity was only 0.14G so he just kept going up. I had to track him using a weapon with a medium scope. Just as I thought he was going into orbit, he began falling back down and finally impacted about two minutes after I shot him :)
I've found Starfield to be excellent and extremely addictive. It may not be for everyone (and the acting is fairly terrible) but the gameplay is just perfect for me. I bought the game 17 days ago and I have 145 hours played :)
I'm in the same boat, was totally hooked. However, Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 and Phantom Liberty snapped me out of the spell.
i FOUND THE Lost Planet of Nubile Stewardesses
Quote from: Windigo on October 03, 2023, 10:22:52 PMi FOUND THE Lost Planet of Nubile Stewardesses
WHERE!?
(And be respectful, my dear late mother was a nubile stewardess)
Not sure if Breezy is talking about the game or if he's having an acid flashback.
Quote from: Gusington on October 04, 2023, 06:40:13 AMNot sure if Breezy is talking about the game or if he's having an acid flashback.
Why not both?
Indeed - why not? :notworthy:
Kind of old news...but Bethesda is claiming over 10 million copies sold at launch.
Good for them, and good for the game industry. :RockOn:
More proof (as if we needed it) that computer/console gaming has long passed Hollywood in its ability to make money.
Hollywood just need to make good movies again. I guess they that hardly matters when people are watching on streaming services rather than pay per view cinema visits.
So yeah I still think movies have their place but that gaming has been in the lead for a while.
You can though see cracks in a lot of gaming companies that get too big and lose their way in though. For example total war is no longer a wargame and has been heading in the opposite direction for a while with people that either do not care or understand how warfare should work in whatever period they are covering. It's all about game mechanics rather than authenticity and immersion.
EA anyone?
Re-skins. Re-rosters. Removal of functionality. Insertion of useless shit and bugs...lots and lots of bugs. Not to mention their online shopping modes.
I saw it with Madden NFL. Seems it might be heading to F1 now they grabbed that licence. What a waste of licences. Do they **** the same shit up with NHL? NBA? FIFA?
Talk about a total cluster **** and a complete waste of licences that deserve to be given to companies that give a crap about whet they're selling and not just about the gulf between cost and profit.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 11, 2023, 12:51:52 AMEA anyone?
Re-skins. Re-rosters. Removal of functionality. Insertion of useless shit and bugs...lots and lots of bugs. Not to mention their online shopping modes.
I saw it with Madden NFL. Seems it might be heading to F1 now they grabbed that licence. What a waste of licences. Do they **** the same shit up with NHL? NBA? FIFA?
Talk about a total cluster **** and a complete waste of licences that deserve to be given to companies that give a crap about whet they're selling and not just about the gulf between cost and profit.
You make good points, but I think Starfield is an example of what good games can still come out of the "big gaming" industry.
However, don't want to derail the Starfield discussion.
Happy to carry on a broader discussion of how big money is corrupting large game companies in a dedicated thread.
CDPR and Blizzard are clear examples of that.
On topic, happy for Bethesda. They really shit the bed with Fallout 76 so good on them to recover. Hoping to pick this up sometime soon but my pc has gotten long in the tooth.
Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 11, 2023, 09:52:03 AMYou make good points, but I think Starfield is an example of what good games can still come out of the "big gaming" industry.
However, don't want to derail the Starfield discussion.
Happy to carry on a broader discussion of how big money is corrupting large game companies in a dedicated thread.
Happy to leave it as Starfield. I haven't got this yet - sitting on the fence for two reasons...feedback being luke warm "mostly", but probably more importantly, I simply haven't been playing computer games for some time.
Maybe it'll shout to me when a sale is on (as I'm not buying anymore F1 games for the foreseeable future...sorry :nono2: )
^WHAT??
Well parhaps I've just used the wrong words.
I've heard positive things about it for sure...here even...but I've also heard it's Fallout 4 reskinned and not as good as Fallout 4.
Perhaps that's from a hard core Fallout 4 fan. Perhaps it was from someone who was expecting more from Starfield than what they found.
It is, afterall, running at 69% of recent reviews and only 73% of all reviews.
I've also heard from one person I know personally that it's a bit boring, though I think he was early in the game...so maybe at least initially.
It didn't sound different enough from Fallout 4 or the step forward I was hoping for to buy full price.
Also - I'm not really playing computer games much at all now.
^I was talking about your F1 comment!!
Oh Lordy Lord.
lol -oh yes - EA has taken it so I'm bailing until they stop with their current business model. :grumpy:
Sorry for derail...back to Starfield. :RockOn:
Ok let me derail this thread slightly more before we truly get back on course.
I'm also a bit disappointed with the F1 franchise as well. I didn't even bother to buy F1 Manager either because of a couple of damning Let's Play videos I watched.
Ok back on topic... :cool:
I've been exploring this game for a while now, and I have to say it's been a wild ride. What appeals to me are the missions, especially the dynamic approaches that can be taken. Most recently, I enjoyed going through the side mission "Failure to Communicate" where I helped farmers in their fight against space pirates. The storyline here is as good as some of the main missions in other open-world games, and it speaks to Bethesda's skill at storytelling. In addition, character development is well thought out in the game. It's an extra level of customization and fine-tuning for those who want to truly master the game. I can see how it enhances my adventures in space. As for the hype, I realize that expectations were inflated, but I'm really enjoying what I've experienced so far. starfield more than lives up to the excitement I felt when it was first announced, and I can't wait to see where it takes us next.
Quote from: seylen on October 14, 2023, 04:16:14 AMI've been exploring this game for a while now, and I have to say it's been a wild ride. What appeals to me are the missions, especially the dynamic approaches that can be taken. Most recently, I enjoyed going through the side mission "Failure to Communicate" where I helped farmers in their fight against space pirates. The storyline here is as good as some of the main missions in other open-world games, and it speaks to Bethesda's skill at storytelling. In addition, character development is well thought out in the game. I've personally studied the starfield trailer, and it's interesting to see how it enhances the gameplay for many players. It's an extra level of customization and fine-tuning for those who want to truly master the game. I can see how it enhances my adventures in space. As for the hype, I realize that expectations were inflated, but I'm really enjoying what I've experienced so far. starfield more than lives up to the excitement I felt when it was first announced, and I can't wait to see where it takes us next.
Thanks for getting us back on Starfield... :RockOn:
+1 on "Failure to Communicate." I had a great time with that mission as well. I was particularly impressed because that mission is just a side mission.
Agree the storytelling in 'Failure' is something rarely seen in games these days.
Not all of the missions are that good, but there still are plenty of good ones.
As I have said before, the game has a few warts and missed opportunities, but overall, I think it is great and can see myself playing it for many years to come.
I feel like most of the side quests in Starfield majorly outshine the main quest.
Not unexpected from Bethesda.
This discussion got me re-interested in Fallout 4 - which I have re-installed.
Maybe that will convince me how good Starfield is,,,I had alot of fun with Fallout 4 until I moved on.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 15, 2023, 03:33:02 AMThis discussion got me re-interested in Fallout 4 - which I have re-installed.
Maybe that will convince me how good Starfield is,,,I had alot of fun with Fallout 4 until I moved on.
I honestly think you'll like Starfield. The combat is very good and some of the missions are very engrossing. I've been sidetracked by cyberpunk 2077 again, but before the 2.0 update, I was totally hooked on Starfield.
Fallout4 in space is exactly why I prefer starfield more. I prefer the sci-fi setting to the post apocalyptic nuke world.
Plus you can fly space ships and build em too.....which is a whole other thing.
Base building was kinda meh....it's really just a place to store your stuff.....but you can make a ship that's big enough to be a traveling base.
I made a ship that's bristling with auto particle beam turrets....the ship is so op that 5 vs 1 ship fights are over in minutes. Only problem with the auto turrets, you can't turn em off, so boarding is no go cause the ships dead before you can get near it.
About the mainquests..... !@#$%&!!
Get railroaded into stealing an artifact from a collector.... get a bounty on my head. Get captured by sysdef and thrown into going to the Crimson Pirate quest stream.... assholes!
Next time I'll just shot the bastards and go back into the starfield.
Oh yeah, then there's the non choice choice of staying at the lodge to defend it from the hunter, or go rescue the crew on the eye.
Hmmm, break the promise to keep Cora Cole safe, or save your future Friend with benefits?
I need nukes.
Quote from: Windigo on October 15, 2023, 12:23:57 PMAbout the mainquests..... !@#$%&!!
Get railroaded into stealing an artifact from a collector.... get a bounty on my head. Get captured by sysdef and thrown into going to the Crimson Pirate quest stream.... assholes!
Next time I'll just shot the bastards and go back into the starfield.
Oh yeah, then there's the non choice choice of staying at the lodge to defend it from the hunter, or go rescue the crew on the eye.
Hmmm, break the promise to keep Cora Cole safe, or save your future Friend with benefits?
I need nukes.
Just don't shoot anyone on the artifact theft mission and you can exit without combat. You don't even need to persuade, just threaten the guy, get into a fight with him until he's almost dead and he'll surrender and let you take the thing and leave. His crew will all be pointing guns at you and trying to goad you into a fight but they won't aggro unless you shoot them.
As for the lodge mission, you can actually game the system and make sure that Barrett is the non-Romance NPC that gets on the other side of the choice. Unfortunately since I didn't see that coming Cora's going to hate me for the rest of my life. Oh well, I got tired of hearing her dumb haikus on the ship all the time.
I gotta play me this time around, next time I'll play a total asshole psychotic murder hobo. Throw mines in residential areas, shoot everybody and everything except dogs. :Party:
Admit it, you were horrified at my descent into evil until I spared the dogs.... then you felt relieved.
I know people love this here - but, for balance, Angry Joe doesn't...
How impartial is Angry Joe these days?
I watched Angry Joe's review and I suppose most of his criticisms are valid, but they also seem very nit-picky. Also, he took some really egregious examples of bugs, technical issues, etc. that happen very infrequently and made it out like these are major issues that seriously detract from the experience. In my experience, this just hasn't really been the case and I think he did this for dramatic or humorous effect. While technically not being outright false, they certainly strike me as a little disingenuous.
I mean really, he starts off the review complaining about camera angles and the inability to dance in the nightclub? Strange to lead off with that fairly inconsequential stuff.
For me, the game is just fun. Beyond that, I don't think a whole lot really matters.
I enjoyed Angry Joe more a few years ago and have not watched him in a while, his stuff is funny or over the top, depending on your mood. Most days I am just not in the mood for him anymore.
I'm enjoying Starfield, but the ground based navigation is infuriating. Why is there no map of known settlements? Why do I have to remember where particular vendors are in every settlement, or run around aimlessly until I find one?
Anyone with a phone right now can pull up a map of practically any city, town, or village on the planet. In the future? Nope, you're on your own. :hair:
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 19, 2023, 08:58:00 AMFor me, the game is just fun. Beyond that, I don't think a whole lot really matters.
+1
I will be playing Starfield for many years to come.
Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 19, 2023, 09:09:32 AMQuote from: Jarhead0331 on October 19, 2023, 08:58:00 AMFor me, the game is just fun. Beyond that, I don't think a whole lot really matters.
+1
I will be playing Starfield for many years to come.
Ditto. I'm enjoying it a lot. IRT the maps, I think they are going to fix that. Right now, I just use the "F" function to map the route. However, it would be more immersive, and interesting, if it had maps
Yeah - he's over the top. One of the reasons I like his videos.
I see those graphical bugs in Fallout 4...so they're not new to Starfields that's for sure.
Didn't realize Angry Joe is still around. I thought he was scandalously removed from YT a couple of years ago.
^He's got a huge following still.
There was a scandal?
Most importantly... my avatar finally got laid....
Quote from: Gusington on October 19, 2023, 02:47:20 PM^He's got a huge following still.
There was a scandal?
Yeah I seem to remember he did a half hour video stating he was wrongly accused of something but I don't remember the details. I'll see if I can dig it up but YT or Joe may have deleted it. I want to say this happened somewhere in late 2018 or early 2019.
Quote from: Gusington on October 19, 2023, 02:47:20 PM^He's got a huge following still.
There was a scandal?
https://poptopic.com.au/entertainment/internet/ashley-wookiemonster-marku-in-panic-as-angry-joe-pursues-lawsuit/
A little known Twitch Partner called Ashley 'WookieMonster' Marku came out on Twitter with allegations against well respected gaming YouTuber Joe Vargas of The Angry Joe show accusing him of being a predator and 'trying to coerce' her into sex.
The allegation against Joe Vargas claims that, at a convention back in 2018, Joe Vargas both mentally and physically forced her to hang around him and attempted to try subliminally manipulate her into maybe having sex. Or at least that is what is assumed as, it has now been confirmed by both parties, sex was never discussed.
Ashley 'WookieMonsterTV' Marku, albeit maintaining that Joe Vargas is a 'predatory creep', has back paddled and seems to be in panic mode.https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/1275580362475831296
^Glad I missed that.
Thanks for digging that up Pete. I remember that clearly now. She really did try to manipulate and twist Joe's words into making it look like something bad.
I'm glad he's back online again and doing his thing.
So...I can't believe this.
After putting about 90 hours into this game, I set it aside due to being a little worn out on it. I had not yet finished the main story line and it was hard to say how far in I was. In any event, its been about a year and the game has seen some major content and QOL updates so I decided to jump back in...
I was totally lost. I forgot how to play, how to fight, how to fly ships, etc. More importantly, I forgot pretty much who I was, who the other characters were and what relationships I had built with them. I forgot the major plot lines and the details behind my remaining active missions.
Nevertheless, I decided to press on and after getting a little bit comfortable with the controls, I proceeded with my latest active mission, which was part of the Unity plot line. Would you believe completing the active mission I was working on brought me to the major morality decision branch in the game!? I literally chose to stop at the climax and most important decision making crossroads of the entire game. I'm totally torn as to what decision to make because I don't remember my interactions with the competing factions and characters.
So annoyed! I'm having to do some research on the consequences of the possible options. I think I know which way to go, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2024, 08:01:18 AM...
After putting about 90 hours into this game, I set it aside due to being a little worn out on it. I had not yet finished the main story line and it was hard to say how far in I was. In any event, its been about a year and the game has seen some major content and QOL updates so I decided to jump back in...
I was totally lost. I forgot how to play, how to fight, how to fly ships, etc. More importantly, I forgot pretty much who I was, who the other characters were and what relationships I had built with them. I forgot the major plot lines and the details behind my remaining active missions.
Nevertheless, I decided to press on and after getting a little bit comfortable with the controls, I proceeded with my latest active mission, which was part of the Unity plot line.
...
After a long absence, I recently started re-playing again as well.
With updates, the game is dripping with content. Having a good time. I have no real complaints, just a few minor annoyances. But in an RPG this complex, that is not surprising.
I do seem to suddenly suck at space combat...it felt easier before.
There seem to be more opportunities to become an outlaw than in my first playthrough early after initial release.
I have been playing it straight so far, but maybe my next character will step into the darkness.