Main Menu

Starfield

Started by Zulu1966, December 11, 2021, 04:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

Indeed - why not?  :notworthy:
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Kind of old news...but Bethesda is claiming over 10 million copies sold at launch. 

Good for them, and good for the game industry.  :RockOn:

More proof (as if we needed it) that computer/console gaming has long passed Hollywood in its ability to make money.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Destraex

Hollywood just need to make good movies again. I guess they that hardly matters when people are watching on streaming services rather than pay per view cinema visits.
So yeah I still think movies have their place but that gaming has been in the lead for a while.
You can though see cracks in a lot of gaming companies that get too big and lose their way in though. For example total war is no longer a wargame and has been heading in the opposite direction for a while with people that either do not care or understand how warfare should work in whatever period they are covering. It's all about game mechanics rather than authenticity and immersion.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JudgeDredd

EA anyone?

Re-skins. Re-rosters. Removal of functionality. Insertion of useless shit and bugs...lots and lots of bugs. Not to mention their online shopping modes.

I saw it with Madden NFL. Seems it might be heading to F1 now they grabbed that licence. What a waste of licences. Do they **** the same shit up with NHL? NBA? FIFA?

Talk about a total cluster **** and a complete waste of licences that deserve to be given to companies that give a crap about whet they're selling and not just about the gulf between cost and profit.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

ArizonaTank

#214
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 11, 2023, 12:51:52 AMEA anyone?

Re-skins. Re-rosters. Removal of functionality. Insertion of useless shit and bugs...lots and lots of bugs. Not to mention their online shopping modes.

I saw it with Madden NFL. Seems it might be heading to F1 now they grabbed that licence. What a waste of licences. Do they **** the same shit up with NHL? NBA? FIFA?

Talk about a total cluster **** and a complete waste of licences that deserve to be given to companies that give a crap about whet they're selling and not just about the gulf between cost and profit.

You make good points, but I think Starfield is an example of what good games can still come out of the "big gaming" industry.

However, don't want to derail the Starfield discussion.

Happy to carry on a broader discussion of how big money is corrupting large game companies in a dedicated thread.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

jamus34

CDPR and Blizzard are clear examples of that.

On topic, happy for Bethesda. They really shit the bed with Fallout 76 so good on them to recover. Hoping to pick this up sometime soon but my pc has gotten long in the tooth.
Insert witty comment here.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 11, 2023, 09:52:03 AMYou make good points, but I think Starfield is an example of what good games can still come out of the "big gaming" industry.

However, don't want to derail the Starfield discussion.

Happy to carry on a broader discussion of how big money is corrupting large game companies in a dedicated thread.
Happy to leave it as Starfield. I haven't got this yet - sitting on the fence for two reasons...feedback being luke warm "mostly", but probably more importantly, I simply haven't been playing computer games for some time.

Maybe it'll shout to me when a sale is on (as I'm not buying anymore F1 games for the foreseeable future...sorry  :nono2: )
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

Well parhaps I've just used the wrong words.

I've heard positive things about it for sure...here even...but I've also heard it's Fallout 4 reskinned and not as good as Fallout 4.

Perhaps that's from a hard core Fallout 4 fan. Perhaps it was from someone who was expecting more from Starfield than what they found.

It is, afterall, running at 69% of recent reviews and only 73% of all reviews.

I've also heard from one person I know personally that it's a bit boring, though I think he was early in the game...so maybe at least initially.

It didn't sound different enough from Fallout 4 or the step forward I was hoping for to buy full price.

Also - I'm not really playing computer games much at all now.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Gusington

^I was talking about your F1 comment!!

Oh Lordy Lord.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

lol -oh yes - EA has taken it so I'm bailing until they stop with their current business model.  :grumpy:

Sorry for derail...back to Starfield.  :RockOn:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

W8taminute

Ok let me derail this thread slightly more before we truly get back on course.

I'm also a bit disappointed with the F1 franchise as well.  I didn't even bother to buy F1 Manager either because of a couple of damning Let's Play videos I watched. 

Ok back on topic... :cool:
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

seylen

#222
I've been exploring this game for a while now, and I have to say it's been a wild ride. What appeals to me are the missions, especially the dynamic approaches that can be taken. Most recently, I enjoyed going through the side mission "Failure to Communicate" where I helped farmers in their fight against space pirates. The storyline here is as good as some of the main missions in other open-world games, and it speaks to Bethesda's skill at storytelling. In addition, character development is well thought out in the game.  It's an extra level of customization and fine-tuning for those who want to truly master the game. I can see how it enhances my adventures in space. As for the hype, I realize that expectations were inflated, but I'm really enjoying what I've experienced so far. starfield more than lives up to the excitement I felt when it was first announced, and I can't wait to see where it takes us next.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: seylen on October 14, 2023, 04:16:14 AMI've been exploring this game for a while now, and I have to say it's been a wild ride. What appeals to me are the missions, especially the dynamic approaches that can be taken. Most recently, I enjoyed going through the side mission "Failure to Communicate" where I helped farmers in their fight against space pirates. The storyline here is as good as some of the main missions in other open-world games, and it speaks to Bethesda's skill at storytelling. In addition, character development is well thought out in the game. I've personally studied the starfield trailer, and it's interesting to see how it enhances the gameplay for many players. It's an extra level of customization and fine-tuning for those who want to truly master the game. I can see how it enhances my adventures in space. As for the hype, I realize that expectations were inflated, but I'm really enjoying what I've experienced so far. starfield more than lives up to the excitement I felt when it was first announced, and I can't wait to see where it takes us next.

Thanks for getting us back on Starfield... :RockOn:

+1 on "Failure to Communicate." I had a great time with that mission as well. I was particularly impressed because that mission is just a side mission.   

Agree the storytelling in 'Failure' is something rarely seen in games these days.

Not all of the missions are that good, but there still are plenty of good ones.

As I have said before, the game has a few warts and missed opportunities, but overall, I think it is great and can see myself playing it for many years to come.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

I feel like most of the side quests in Starfield majorly outshine the main quest. 

Not unexpected from Bethesda.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback